PDA

View Full Version : Achtung! Cthulhu

Arazmus
March 8th, 2013, 21:23
Achtung! Cthulhu is a new source book(s) for Call of Cthulhu currently on Kickstarter, set during the 2nd World War. I've no idea how easily it would slot into the FG CoC expansion.

From the Kickstarter page:

Discover the secret history of World War Two - stories of the amazing heroism in which stalwart men and women struggled to overthrow a nightmare alliance of science and the occult, of frightening inhuman conspiracies from the depths of time, and the unbelievable war machines which were the product of Nazi scientific genius - and how close we all came to a slithering end! The Secret War has begun!

The Kickstarter page - Achtung! Cthulhu (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/achtung-cthulhu-the-ww2-keepers-and-investigators)

phantomwhale
March 9th, 2013, 01:15
Also for Savage Worlds (using Realms of Cthulhu) !

I'm a backer - it looks fantastic. Shame we never got the rights to produce a Realms of Cthulhu extension for Savage Worlds, as this would make a fantastic add-on, esp. if the 250+ page adventure stretch goals all get met (which looks likely).

scionofnyarlathotep
March 9th, 2013, 12:47
Also for Savage Worlds (using Realms of Cthulhu) !

I'm a backer - it looks fantastic. Shame we never got the rights to produce a Realms of Cthulhu extension for Savage Worlds, as this would make a fantastic add-on, esp. if the 250+ page adventure stretch goals all get met (which looks likely).

Completely agree with you there PW, Realms would be a fantastic addition and I struggle to understand why there is reluctance to licence it for FG2.

We have to mod the core SW set when we play, although it would be nice if someone upgraded the extension for RoC ;)

S Ferguson
March 10th, 2013, 03:41
I totally agree. Realms deserves it's rightful place. Heck, I'd settle for Cthulhu Invictus - older but a lot could be done with it.

scionofnyarlathotep
March 10th, 2013, 12:27
I totally agree. Realms deserves it's rightful place. Heck, I'd settle for Cthulhu Invictus - older but a lot could be done with it.

Cthulhu as a whole could do with a little loving. Perhaps when 7th edition is released (hopefully later this year), it will lead to a revival of interest and someone with the requisite skills can give it the care it deserves.

S Ferguson
March 10th, 2013, 15:33
I think this summer, when they do the flip-over with the code base will bring joy and happiness to CoC fans (and/or BRP fans) as it will be recieving some love and care.:cool: .

Mephiston
March 27th, 2013, 11:51
I'm hoping to return to RPG's this year, and I've pledged into this kickstarter.

Could anyone give me a quick comparison of Savage Worlds/Call of Cthulhu rules. I played a bit of CoC back in the 90's but not since.

If I do run a game it would be using fantasy grounds so which ruleset would be easiest to use/tweak?

I know that's 2 big questions so any insight appreciated.

S Ferguson
March 27th, 2013, 15:04
SW is all about fast, furious, fun and horror, with a modular system and well worked out rules that can adapt to any age, aeon or setting you throw at it. CoC really hasn't changed that much probably since you played it in the nineties. It's a tried and true system that, with a little coaxing (and the BRP rules) can do the same. I don't prefer one over the other (I've been hooked on Trail of Cthulhu that uses the Gumshoe system specifically designed for investigative games) and in the end it's really just a matter of taste, Almost all SW games have a bit of horror, so it wasn't actually too difficult for Reality Blurs to adapt the mythos from CoC to SW, I'd say take a trip down to the local hobby store and thumb through each of the systems and see which one you like. If you're getting back into playing for Achtung! Cthulhu, you might want to stick with the original. Otherwise, if you don't mind "kit-bashing" SW does offer a more extensive line of products. As for rulesets. they're both as "easy" to tweak as your programming skills, also SW is more modern and contains features you probably won't even use. CoC hasn't had an update in a while, but it's coming.

Hope this helps,
SF