PDA

View Full Version : How to add At-Will Powers

Hoolix
March 8th, 2013, 15:29
How do I add at-will, encounter, and daily powers to my character sheet?

OneSidedDie
March 8th, 2013, 18:17
The quick answer is to go to the powers tab, right click in the power list to make a new power. Click on the magnifying glass icon in the new power and fill in all of the fields. To add specific effects (Damage, healing, effects) right click on the power and select add power. In there you can modify The effects parameters such as statistics, bonuses, etc.

For a longer description with more specifics see the 4E user guide https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide4E/

Player Guide - Gameplay > Character Sheet > Adding a power

Griogre
March 9th, 2013, 21:16
It is extremely important you follow the *exact* case and style out of the rulebooks or DDI since the 4E ruleset expects it. Also if you copy and paste or type in the power description exactly, if you right click and select "Reset Power Abilities" the ruleset parser will attempt to build the effects for you. Its about 90% accurate.

FYI for newly created powers:

Action is: Standard, Minor, Move, ect.
Recharge is: At-will, Encounter, Daily, ect
Range is: Close blast 5, Ranged 20, ect
Keywords are things like Arcane, Illusion, Implement, Weapon, Psychic, Cold, ect
Other is the power's description.

Once again you need to be careful with case, especially with keywords.

Hoolix
March 9th, 2013, 21:42
I should have been more specific in my question. I am using a mac and am trying to get the the modules to show up when creating a character, but don't know where the module folder is on a mac.

Cerowlol
March 10th, 2013, 06:51
[...]Also if you copy and paste or type in the power description exactly, if you right click and select "Reset Power Abilities" the ruleset parser will attempt to build the effects for you. Its about 90% accurate.[...]

That is so useful, I just tested it on a power I entered manually and it's so nice to have it all set up with Effects and stuff. I just looked again and you can't find this info in the 4e user guide anywhere, it should probably be added?

But this raises one question to me: Can you actually build a module with all the powers you need from within FG, or is it only saved to a particular char sheet and you can't use it any further?

Griogre
March 10th, 2013, 18:41
Tenian's 4E parser still works well enough to build modules of most classes powers though it does expect powers to be unique to a class - which does cause problems with some of the Essential classes since some classes have the same powers. You do need a DDI account though. I use to just get a month's subscription every 6 or 8 months just to update the modules.

Cerowlol
March 11th, 2013, 01:50
Yeah ofc I know about the parser, I was just wondering if I could just save manual entries in a module from within FG.

But as it's not included in the export function I guess it won't work that way?

I just think it would've been neat to just be able to reuse everything you had to enter once in a module. I tried to create some custom powers directly as XML by copying stuff from the XML files the parser created, but that just takes ages for only a handful of powers, so I just entered it all manually.

It just would've been awesome to be able to skip all the techy/time consuming stuff and just work with FG to create reusable modules of every kind (just like it's awesome to do it with Story/Images/... already).

On that matter, is there a very simple How-To on what I must have in the client.xml for a power to be displayed in the library? All I found was this one: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12948 and as it's a general explanation (and very helpful as that) it doesn't mention 4E powers and the required format at all. It just seems like the parser is writing the same stuff over and over again^^