PDA

View Full Version : Bladebound Magus

Gertak
March 8th, 2013, 02:14
I spent some bit of time today looking around the internet but was unable to find a definitive answer and was hoping someone here may have heard something.

A bladebound magus' black blade, can it be enchanted? Either in addition to it's +1-5 or by changing one of it's levels to something else. For example if the black blade was a +2, could it be used as +1 with spell storing? Or could it be enchanted as a +2 with spell storing?

Thanks in advance,

Leonal
March 8th, 2013, 03:09
This thread has some points about it, but based on the fixed stats (including ego score) I would assume that you can't.

https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2n4ir?Bladebound-Magus-question

Gertak
March 8th, 2013, 03:37
Ya, most of what I've seen says the same thing, just have not found anything definite yet. The ego consideration seems the most likely factor, though. Just really sucks as a magus to lose access to spell storing. :(

Mgrancey
March 8th, 2013, 04:47
Don't see anything about why it couldn't but having looked at the feature, its something that should be talked over with the GM rather than you simply having it enchanted. Since the item is intelligent and text implies that it is more along the lines of "the wand chooses the wizard" rather then simply picking up any old blade and using it.

Black Blades
A black blade is a particular form of intelligent weapon
gained by a magus with the bladebound archetype.
There are several ways a magus might gain this weapon.
Sometimes it just appears among the magus’s possessions,
and its origin is a mystery. Other times the magus finds
a black blade during an adventure or event of some kind.
Sometimes a black blade is passed down generation to
generation in an ongoing search for a magus who can
unlock its true potential.

So I would say it can be enchanted but I would suggest working it out with your GM that stuff would unlock as your sympathy with it develops, along the lines of Relics/Artifacts in DnD 4th ed OR a reward for accomplishing a task inline with your blades goals.

Mind you, as a GM I would probably say okay, but when ever you used your Arcane Pool to put enchantments on it, you would override any current enchantments suppressing them, along the lines as if they got hit with a Dispel Magic. Meaning your spell storing would vanish, as well as possibly the spell in it.

However, I will admit I tend to be a more lenient GM, so long as its not abused.

Mgrancey
March 8th, 2013, 06:13
Hmm. Just noticed part of progression is an automatic enhancement bonus. So to verify question, do you mean for when it goes from a +1 bonus at level 4 to a +1 spell storing black blade at level 5?

Or did you mean to pay for the difference so at level 4 it goes from a +1 to become a +1 spell storing?

Gertak
March 8th, 2013, 13:23
I was actually asking if either would be possible, or even any other sort of adding a bonus if there is another. Specifically I think spell storing is amazing, probably the single best enchant for a magus, so I'm trying to see if there is any way to get it on my black blade.

gmkieran
March 8th, 2013, 14:49
Don't know if your GM would go for this, but it strikes me as an interesting solution to the problem. Make the Blackblade a spellcaster and make "spell storing" its spellbook. Could lead to some interesting situations if the 'blade doesn't always agree with the mage on what spells it will need that day. Alternately, fight two-weapon and keep your spell storing on your other blade if your GM won't go for adding spell storing to a living blade.

Gertak
March 8th, 2013, 18:06
Ya, I've already considered adding +1 and spell storing to my cold iron kukri if I have to, but was hoping to avoid that.

Malkavian_Andi
March 8th, 2013, 19:39
If the GM approves of it, I suppose the best solution would be to exchange increases of the blackblade's enhancement bonus for the magic ability.
Personally, I wouldn't allow spending gold for the extra ability, because it would be worth more when the blackblade's enhancement bonus increases.

Mgrancey
March 8th, 2013, 20:45
Don't know if your GM would go for this, but it strikes me as an interesting solution to the problem. Make the Blackblade a spellcaster and make "spell storing" its spellbook. Could lead to some interesting situations if the 'blade doesn't always agree with the mage on what spells it will need that day. Alternately, fight two-weapon and keep your spell storing on your other blade if your GM won't go for adding spell storing to a living blade.

If you were going to do it this way, since a black blade counts as/takes the spot of a familiar, I would suggest using familiar feats to do so, such as Improved familiar or Evolved Familiar

As a gm I would be okay with a weapon becoming +1 spell storing naturally, but would be a bit hesitant, now, to about just adding bonuses to the black blade since it does improve naturally. Especially since as a magus you can swap around effects that can be on your weapon.

Curiously, are you planning to combine the spell store with spell strike? Or are you just trying to get spell storing on you weapon as its cheaper than a ring?

Gertak
March 9th, 2013, 20:42
Spell storing on a weapon is much different than on a ring as it is a free activation to release the spell stored in the weapon on hitting. It's really nice for doing multiple spells on the same round.