PDA

View Full Version : Empty Library

Resonance
March 7th, 2013, 13:23
Hi

I just bought RMC and thought I'd give it a quick go, just to see that everything seems to be working.
Unfortunately, it seems not.

Putting first things first, I thought I'd try out making a character.
But my library seems to be totally empty. :(

Meaning that as of now, I have a new piece of software that can seemingly manage chats with other owners, dice rolls and bonuses (nice one), and store the results of those, as well as what I write. It also presents me with a character sheet template, that I can fill out at my leisure. All very nice, but not really what I paid 60$ for...
I'd like to see some Rolemaster functions now...?

Can anybody advice me on how to activate my library?

Best regards

Res

Tiqon
March 7th, 2013, 14:03
You have to activate your modules.

In the rightmost menu choose "module activation". "open the books you want to use by dragging the small book icons open like you would a real book also chose if they should be blocked, allowed or forced by draggin one of the three icons to the circle just under the book icon.

Hope that was just that was your problem! :).

Tiqon
March 7th, 2013, 14:15
I had an old version open, just updated it ;). I see now that its not called "Module activation" but just "module".

Resonance
March 8th, 2013, 11:23
Thanks, Tiqon! That did it! Much obliged... :)

By the by... Now that I suddenly got two bowls of tokens delivered, I couldn't help but taking a peek to also survey this new and unexpected function of my toy...

Can you tell me if it is possible to add some of my own tokens (from Dundjinni) to these folders, or is that a bad idea?

And, for practical handling of the tokens there, is there some trick to renaming and enlarging the target area of a new bowl (I just added a new one to separate the dragons from the rest of the batch, but I seem to be having trouble moving tokens to the new bowl- I drag and drop to the best of my ability, but to no avail...)

best regards

Res

Tiqon
March 8th, 2013, 11:49
I totally forgot to say WELCOME to FG2 and RMC! Ask and you will probably be flooded with answers here in this community ;).

The tokens will be added in bowls corresponding to the folder you have in your token folders. It should be in here (might me different depending on system, you can open the application folder by going to Start- all programs- Fantasy grounds II- application data folder) C:\Users\denmdj\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\campaigns\RM a new beginning\Tokens (This is MY campaign folder called "A New beginning"), your's will be something else. Host folder is the tokens the players cant see and therefore not use (they can see them when you drag tehm to the map), the shared is for player too. Make a new folder called eg C:\Users\denmdj\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\campaigns\RM a new beginning\Tokens\Host\Aliens and place all your aliens in here and you will have a bowl that has the tooltip "aliens".

I use all the Dunjinni too ;).

BEWARE though! the amount of tokens can impact how fast your campaign loads I'm told. Im not 100% sure though... you will just have to try it out ;).

Resonance
March 8th, 2013, 13:03
Thanks! :)
I joined some years ago, as a player in a D20 game, but I'm guessing I'll be a regular visitor to the site now that I've got the GM functionalities, since I'm running a tabletop campaign now, where I hope FG can help me lighten the game mechanics part of the preperation load.

It's a pity that the djx format is confined to Dundjinni itself - it would have been nice to be able to use that heap of images for tokens in FG as well, but never mind.

So, the one's under the 'Host' folder will be invisible to the players. Cool. :)
You seem to suggest that I could make a 'Shared' folder for character icons, which my online players would then be able to see and use tokens from, is that right?

Btw, is there a thread where we can request added functionalities for FGs RMC?
I'd like to suggest a professionbased character generator in that case, just to be able to zap through the temp- pot part of NPC generation; for when the details of the NPC stats are not crucial to the narrative, but still good to know, in regards to the game.
A (level based) stat gain calculator would also be very nice, now that I think about it. Any forumthread in particular I ought to post such requests?

best regards

Res

Tiqon
March 8th, 2013, 13:18
The shared folder you can make yourself, just add a folder called shared. I dont use it that much to be honest, I only use tokens when preparing for a game.

Go here to read more of how to use tokens

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/gm_tokens.xcp

Notice the menu in the left side of the screen has more topics under tokens.

Infact, even if that helpsite is 3.5 do read it and try out what is written there. Alot goes for RMC too.

You can post new ideas a suggestions here https://rm4fg.idea.informer.com/

If you at some point lose this link, its in below all Dakadins posts.

I can make a npc fast by dragging a generic npc from the Character law to the npc screen.

open your character law in your library, and find the non-player character table (3. last). open the NPC & encounters and drag a npc name from the npc list to the npc & encounter screen. Enjoy ;).

Oh and a be sure to read and try out this

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18275

Resonance
March 8th, 2013, 14:31
Good tips, those. Thanks again! :)

Do you happen to know how to change the names of the bags of FG tokens?
'custom O' seems a bit vague as a name for multiple bags ;)

I've put my vote to the 'Better Handling of PC leveling' as that seems to adress the same basic functionality issue.

Tiqon
March 8th, 2013, 15:14
Well. I have placed mine in folders called what is in them, and when I start at the root of the tokens inside FG2 I see Monster, Host, animal tokens and a bag with the tokens from the module I made myself for the game (I recommend watching some of the movies here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/ scroll down and look at the archived videos in the right side of the screen about preparing your game). Under the HOST bag I have all my bags I have named from the file menu in windows. So the bags should mirror you filestructure. I'm a little confused why yours is named custom 0...

My files structure:

https://i50.tinypic.com/2a5gk80.jpg

My top bag

https://i45.tinypic.com/6r0waq.jpg

double clicked on HOST bag and here I see a lot of bags called exactly the same as the folders.

JohnD
March 8th, 2013, 15:14
Just rename the folder from Custom O to what you want it to be.

Resonance
March 8th, 2013, 15:53
another good link, thank you Tiqon. :)

No, the filing system under windows is not what I was thinking about, here.
I will clearly be using that for all my dundjinni items, but here I was thinking of the Fantasy Grounds Token bags (namely Monster Tokens).
When I add a bag to those (which can only be done by rightclicking and chosing 'add new bag' in FG, as they are not accesible in windows filing system), it is always named 'custom O'.
If I add another, that too is named 'custom o', at which point the filing system is becoming quite Kafkaesque.

I can obviously add as complex and eloquent a filing system for all my own images as I would like (in windows), but that cannot be used for the images in the Monster Token bag.
Perhaps I shouldn't give a hoot, as I have a lot of my own monster images stored with Dundjinni, but I'd just prefer the gift bags to be made useful rather than just superfluous and in the way by virtue of their disordered structure, which means being able to add (and rename the added bags) within them.

John, I would change it to somehting more useful, but I don't know how, and the token instructions linked to above does not mention it, for some reason.
I have no access to naming bags created within FG, that I know of.

Tiqon
March 8th, 2013, 16:04
Hmm interesting observation :). They don't mention it in the help because they have recently been added as part of Firebolts monster token set. You can see the details here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17090

It all started with that and went on to a Kickstarter project, that Smiteworks backed with a good amount so some of the tokens could be a part of the standard GF2.

Tiqon
March 8th, 2013, 16:17
I have been playing around with this custom bags made inside the Monster bag. The monster and animals from FG2 is made in a module and I had a hard time understanding how you would be able to make a new folder (bag) inside a module, that you did not export. So I noticed that when you make a new bag in the monster bag and close FG2 and open it again the folder is gone. So I guess you cannot make new ones inside the monster and animal, as they are part of a module.

Trenloe
March 8th, 2013, 16:44
As Tiqon mentioned earlier, the 3.5E User's Guide (available under the "Library" link at the top of the page) is really a must read for all new players/GMs. Over 90% of information in the guide is relevant to most other rulesets and covers a lot of the base FG functionality.

One thing that can be confusing about the User's Guide is there, at first glance, appears to be only a small amount of information. There is actually a lot - when you click a new heading to view that heading it is not obvious that this has actually opened a bunch of sub-headings for that section in the menu bar on the left side of the browser. Always look for additional sub-headings when using the user's guide.

Additionally, there is a RMC guide (.PDF) included with the ruleset. Open the Fantasy Grounds Application Data Directory (found my Windows Start Button -> All Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data Folder) and go to the "docs" directory - you will find "FG-RMC User Manual (1.4).pdf".

Resonance
March 8th, 2013, 17:49
... I noticed that when you make a new bag in the monster bag and close FG2 and open it again the folder is gone...

That is really strange, since that has not happened here!
Only, if I deactivate the module and then reactivate it, the module then resets with the result you describe. I thought about altering the module just a tad, to contain a few extra folders, with the headings I'd like, but that seems not to work, for some reason or other...

But while trying that out, it has become apparent that I could simply extract all the pngs (via zip format) so I guess I can just include all the symbols in my wellordered host folder, if push comes to shove (ie skip the module format entirely) but it just seems weird that the token folders made within FG can't be renamed.
Must be an omittance bug?

Greetings, Trenloe. Yes, good point. I'm hoping it is not meant as a hint for this particular problem, though, cause the procedure of changing name for token folders isn't mentioned anywhere that I can see, be it in RMC guide or subheadings???

Trenloe
March 8th, 2013, 21:40
That is really strange, since that has not happened here!
Only, if I deactivate the module and then reactivate it, the module then resets with the result you describe. I thought about altering the module just a tad, to contain a few extra folders, with the headings I'd like, but that seems not to work, for some reason or other...
Modules are primarily read-only stores of FG objects - story entries, images/maps, NPCs, items, tokens, etc.. You can make what appears to be some changes to the module, but this is not actually changing the module itself, but just how it is being used within a specific campaign. As you are noticing, if you deactivate the module any "changes" are lost. Also, you've probably guessed, as the changes are only in a campaign then you can't transport these changes to other campaigns as they do not apply to the module itself.

Greetings, Trenloe. Yes, good point. I'm hoping it is not meant as a hint for this particular problem, though, cause the procedure of changing name for token folders isn't mentioned anywhere that I can see, be it in RMC guide or subheadings???
I wasn't referring you to the documents for this specific issue. More because you appear to have a lot of questions about using Fantasy Grounds - a lot of which are usually covered off in the user guides. Also, there are a number of videos in the "Downloads" section that can be useful.

Be it videos you're watching or user guides you're reading, it is useful to have Fantasy Grounds open and try the things out as you go along. This is a much more interactive way of finding out about Fantasy Grounds and generally makes the learning process more productive. Even us old hands can find out things we didn't know... :)

Resonance
March 9th, 2013, 10:20
ok, I guess I'll make due with extracting the images and shutting down the modules, then. Would be pretty bothersome to shut down a module by mistake, and thus deleting ones careful filing system, anyhoo. ;)

Yes, I'll be sure to get into the online manual and videos, thanks. :)