PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help: New to GMing in SW

bennis1980
March 6th, 2013, 16:17
Hi all,

I'm quite used to FG and GMing in general (rolemaster), but is there a generous soul out there willing to give me a brief tutorial of SW ruleset (with the improvement extension if possible) from a GM perspective so I might get a game going. There are obviously a quite a few features different (compared to the RMC ruleset). Send me a PM if you can help.

Evenings or weekends GMT (not later than midnight) suits me best.

Thank you in advance

Bennis1980 (or bennies)

Doswelk
March 6th, 2013, 16:59
PM me an email address and I would be happy to run you through it all!

bennis1980
March 6th, 2013, 17:00
Thank you kindly sir, that I will.

Dracones
March 6th, 2013, 18:04
Also if you want to setup a trial one shot game to get your feet wet, I'd toss in as a player. Just aim for an evening weekend game so us US timezone guys can join in.

That'd let you test out the setting, make sure players can connect, etc.

bennis1980
March 6th, 2013, 18:34
Also if you want to setup a trial one shot game to get your feet wet, I'd toss in as a player. Just aim for an evening weekend game so us US timezone guys can join in.

That'd let you test out the setting, make sure players can connect, etc.

That would be appreciated. I'd probably go for a Sunday evening (I'm not allowed play Saturday :p )

Ikael
March 6th, 2013, 19:47
To be honest, I would be also interested to know what tricks other GMs use to smooth up the flow of the game! Learning different cultures/techniques can never be harmful. In addition there might be something I have totally missed! Why not even have SW-GM-CON where different gamemasters could be sharing their ideas and techniques :D

If people would not mind, I would love to join bennis learngroup :) -- and I strongly believe that bennis and I share the same suitable schedule times

bennis1980
March 6th, 2013, 19:59
No! I'm totally against Ikael learning new ways to kill off my character!!! ( :) only joking - it was so fun / tense the last time)

We did the same with the Rolemaster ruleset (I ran some myself) so if Doswelk is happy for others to join, the more the merrier.

I just can't think of that screen share program we used last time. it begins with m (mikago or something like that)

Ikael
March 6th, 2013, 20:05
I just can't think of that screen share program we used last time. it begins with m (mikago or something like that)

One good free screensharing application is https://join.me/ One person can start sharing and any people can start to watch it. It's not useful for secret meeting because anyone can see it, but I don't think we are going to plan how to kill PCs this time :D

bennis1980
March 6th, 2013, 20:08
Yeah, I'm sure you'll organise a secret meeting of PC killer GMs for that. You can't use join.me for that :D

bennis1980
March 6th, 2013, 20:21
Doswelk has no problem with you joining in, if you are free Friday at 7pm (GMT)

We are going to use join.me and teamspeak

Ikael
March 6th, 2013, 20:50
Doswelk has no problem with you joining in, if you are free Friday at 7pm (GMT)

We are going to use join.me and teamspeak

That would be fine for me, thanks! Let me know about join.me and teamspeak details when you have them :)

Draeus
March 8th, 2013, 17:09
Damn, I always read these things too late :(

I would have loved to get involved ;)
Next time!

bennis1980
March 8th, 2013, 17:15
Well we are starting in two hours if you are around (on the FG Community teamspeak server). I'm sure Doswelk wouldn't mind one more person.

Ikael, it's the usual teamspeak details that we use on a sunday. We will figure out the join.me details then.

Draeus
March 8th, 2013, 17:27
:( not enough notice to cancel other plans :( But maybe another time. I find i'm always finding something new about SW FGII and it would be nice just to get a insight on what the damned thing can do and if i'm missing something.

Ikael
March 8th, 2013, 22:14
I must say, I just loved to hear how others handle their GM stuff. Loving to hear how things should work but they don't work (yet!). I would love to see this kinda meeting once a month where each GM would be presenting how they do their stuff and some new suggestions and ideas might come up.

Remember that it's not about having or owning the product. It's always about mastering how to use it :D

Join me+teamspeak worked very nicely. I am hoping to have similar sessions in the future.

bennis1980
March 8th, 2013, 23:17
I 100% agree with you Ikael. It was very useful. Thankyou again Doswelk for hosting it (great to have those cheat codes for SW for infinite bennies :D )

Moving forward, I would be up for the once a month GM brainstorm. I think we could make it system neutral and everyone give a 15-30min presentation on whatever they want, whether it be GM style, story preparation, a little ruleset nuance that they'd like to showcase, the benefits of voice / chat, etc... It would benefit veteren and beginner GMs alike.

It would also be particularly useful for those who would like to run a session for the upcoming FGcon and find it a little daunting exposing themselves to players of other systems (we were very friendly the last time :) )

Build it and they will come

Doswelk
March 8th, 2013, 23:44
I know what I remembered that I wanted added to the combat tracker!

The ability to drag a card (say from the card shoe) onto a player/npc in the tracker to change the card and then click a button (like the re-order button) on the Chase tool to re-sort the order.

There is an edge in SWD that allows a player to take extra cards for each success and raise he gets on a knowledge (battle) roll and keep those cards to swap out with dealt initiative cards.

Sylith
March 23rd, 2013, 18:44
Personally I think this kinda thing is a great idea! I too am a SW GM newbie (as well as a FG GM newbie in general) & while I'm loving the journey of learning it's always nice to learn & share a few tricks along the way!

Right now I've been working on a hybrid system for an Old WoD game that I'll be running using SW ruleset - thanks mainly to Ikeals SWFI capabilities but it sure would be great to see if any of your little tricks/ shortcuts that you all have undoubtedly found could be adopted & perhaps adapted to make for a better all round game experience.

S Ferguson
March 26th, 2013, 20:06
Right now I've been working on a hybrid system for an Old WoD game that I'll be running using SW ruleset - thanks mainly to Ikeals SWFI capabilities but it sure would be great to see if any of your little tricks/ shortcuts that you all have undoubtedly found could be adopted & perhaps adapted to make for a better all round game experience.

As long as it's not Mummy: The Resurrection , it's just like running a tabletop game, with a more tech-savvy GM. So talk, act, use FG as a tool, not the driving force. One of the best things about using VTT and VOIP is that you can't see each other so it's easier to take on a persona.

Unless your playing Mummy: The Resurrection. I hated that game.:mad:

Sylith
March 27th, 2013, 01:09
As long as it's not Mummy: The Resurrection , it's just like running a tabletop game, with a more tech-savvy GM. So talk, act, use FG as a tool, not the driving force. One of the best things about using VTT and VOIP is that you can't see each other so it's easier to take on a persona.

Unless your playing Mummy: The Resurrection. I hated that game.:mad:

Yup Mummy sucked, well at least in my opinion anyway. The one I've been working on is a game of Vampire the Dark Ages, (well Wolves of the Sea) only set in Viking age Scandinavia. I've found oWoD & SW quite a good fit for most things, only system specific stuff such as Humanity/ Morality & Virtues weren't quite as easy to figure out. It has helped me seal a lot of the SW core rules in my head as well which is great too.

S Ferguson
March 27th, 2013, 03:10
Yup Mummy sucked, well at least in my opinion anyway. The one I've been working on is a game of Vampire the Dark Ages, (well Wolves of the Sea) only set in Viking age Scandinavia. I've found oWoD & SW quite a good fit for most things, only system specific stuff such as Humanity/ Morality & Virtues weren't quite as easy to figure out. It has helped me seal a lot of the SW core rules in my head as well which is great too.

Yep, Mummy did suck. The Dark ages Wolves of the Sea would make a great campaign (I played it myself when Dark Ages first came out and the supplement became available). Connecting it to mainland Europe in the form of raids also brings in the other clans quite nicely. SW and WoD, do mix nicely together and the Humanity/Morality & Virtues aren't that hard once you have the "Road" concept under your belt - it's rather like an alignment that guides your way from novice to legendary and a Hindrance (because it's a code of honor, especially among Vikings). Gee now I've got this urge to pull out the V:TDA.... No, too busy with other games. I will drag them out eventually though. In the meantime *no* Cainite Heresies allowed. (especially if you're Malkavian):D