PDA

View Full Version : Some possible bugs with v 2.9.2

thrylax
March 5th, 2013, 04:01
I'm not sure if these bugs have been encountered by others or not, or even if this is the proper place to report about them, but I noticed a few things while porting Scourge of the Howling Hoard into FG2.

When dropping a magic item on a player's character sheet, if the item has NOT been identified, it shows the Alt Name of the item in the characters inventory as it should, but shows items true name in the characters action tab.
I think that it should only show the items Alt Name in the action tab until it has been properly identified by the player in game. As it does in the inventory tab.
Doesn't do for a player who has never ID'ed a magic item, to be able to look in their action tab to see that the exquisite longsword they just acquired is in fact a +1 longsword of castle slaying....or whatever.

Also, when pasting text into a story entry, every now and again, the letter "f" and sometimes the letter that follows it is replaced with a single question mark "?".
For example, the word fight sometimes comes out as "?ght", flee comes out as "?ee", etc. It does not appear to happen every time and it only seems to affect the lowercase letter f. I verified that the text I am copying is correct. It's only when I paste it into FG2 and even then only so often.

Moon Wizard
March 5th, 2013, 06:54
The identification feature has been iteratively improving. Right now, weapon entries and inventory entries are technically separate data records under the scene, so there is currently no way for the weapon entry to know whether the item is identified or not. I'll add it to the list to look at.

When pasting text into FG, we receive the actual text information from Windows. My guess is that the OCR'd text in the file you are pasting from is wrong. I've seen this happen on other scanned and OCR'd material (i.e. "fire" pastes as "flre"). You might try running the OCR in your source document again.

Regards,
JPG

Leonal
March 5th, 2013, 08:22
I usually paste into notepad++ to correct any text that's from a PDF, before posting into FG or the PF parser.

Dashes (which often happen to be long dashes), apostrophes (’ makes a mess, but ' doesn't), Xs from critical multipliers (Pathfinder statblocks) and "fl" or "fi" often get corrupted in the transfer.

thrylax
March 5th, 2013, 17:40
I suppose the copy/paste issue could be a bug in Libre Office 4, which is what I used to copy and paste text after correcting it. But I just encountered the bug a couple more times again today while pasting text into a note in the notes tab. After I saw it, I immediately went into the Libre Office 4 text file that I copied from and verified that the text in question was correct there. It was only after I pasted it into FG2 that the letter "f" and the letter immediately following it was replaced with a single "?".
In this case, the word "fine" as it appears in the Libre Office file I copied from, was replaced with "?ne".

I'll paste it into something else and see it the issue shows up there. Be right back......

thrylax
March 5th, 2013, 17:44
I just pasted the exact same text copied from the Libre Office file into a standard windows text document, and the text pasted just fine there....or in this case "fine" rather than "?ne". So it does not appear to be an issue with the copy/paste itself or my computer. It seems to be specific to FG2... v2.9.2 in this case if that helps.

If this information helps, when I copy/paste, I tend to copy MANY, MANY paragraphs at once and paste it in as one big mass. The text in question just now was several paragraphs with a total of 756 words. Maybe that will help you reproduce the bug.

Like I said though, it does not happen too often.....maybe once per paragraph or so. So it's not a huge issue or anything. Just though you might want to know.

Zeus
March 5th, 2013, 18:07
I usually paste into notepad++ to correct any text that's from a PDF, before posting into FG or the PF parser.

Dashes (which often happen to be long dashes), apostrophes (’ makes a mess, but ' doesn't), Xs from critical multipliers (Pathfinder statblocks) and "fl" or "fi" often get corrupted in the transfer.

These are not related to cut n paste errors, strictly speaking. The problems occur due to text encoding differences between the source text and what FGII is setup to support.

FGII is keyed to support ASCII and iso-8859-1 character encoding. When you cut n paste text into FGII, if the text is not encoded as iso-8859-1 (e.g utf-8) or characters fall outside of the standard ASCII and iso-8859-1 characters tables, you will find certain characters are either omitted or replaced.

As you say, the best thing to do is to cut n paste such text into a text editor and search and replace these characters with ASCII equivalents (usually characters like ’ “ ” and – with ' "" and - characters).

Leonal
March 5th, 2013, 23:53
These are not related to cut n paste errors, strictly speaking. The problems occur due to text encoding differences between the source text and what FGII is setup to support.

FGII is keyed to support ASCII and iso-8859-1 character encoding. When you cut n paste text into FGII, if the text is not encoded as iso-8859-1 (e.g utf-8) or characters fall outside of the standard ASCII and iso-8859-1 characters tables, you will find certain characters are either omitted or replaced.

As you say, the best thing to do is to cut n paste such text into a text editor and search and replace these characters with ASCII equivalents (usually characters like ’ “ ” and – with ' "" and - characters).

Thanks for the clarification! :)