PDA

View Full Version : Hosting Issues with tethered ipad connection

Mad Nomad
March 4th, 2013, 16:37
Hi, I am trying to host a game as GM but I am unable to get the connection test to suceeed. I have set up port forwarding on my local windows 8 firewall and I am connected through a tethered ipad. Joining games works fine with the tethered ipad connection, but hosting does not.
I don't know much about port forwaridng and firewalls with ipads, does anyone know how I can get that to work? I don't see any settings on the ipad that would see on a normal router, so I am not sure how to set up port forwarding there.

Thanks in advance.

Mad Nomad
March 4th, 2013, 21:22
I called AT&T and Apple to try to get help with this. They said that ipads currently do not allow for opening of any ports or port forwarding, so there is no way I can do this with my current configuraiton. I am going to have to try himachi, thoguh I am confused about how to use that, and I don't know if it will even be possible either.

Griogre
March 4th, 2013, 22:34
Himachi should work at the cost of more network overhead. However, hosting a game tends to require a lot more "up" bandwidth than just being a player and I am curious just how much data you can push through that tethered iPad.

Trenloe
March 4th, 2013, 22:36
I am going to have to try himachi, thoguh I am confused about how to use that, and I don't know if it will even be possible either.
Hamachi is usually pretty easy to setup. You, or someone else who will be playing, will first have to setup a network and then everyone joins that network through Hamachi.

For connection to Fantasy Grounds the players will have to use the IP address of the GMs machine shown in the Hamachi client - do not use an alias or the IP addresses shown by Fantasy Grounds.