PDA

View Full Version : Targetting and Damage

ShadeRaven
February 26th, 2013, 01:47
I love automation, but I must admit, currently, it seems to be slowing the game down. It seems as those in nearly every battle, players struggle to make sure they've selected the intended target, often have themselves or allies selected (either from movement or just misclick), resulting in additional attack and/or damage rolls that are unintended.

Honestly, some of my players just roll the dice without trying to select targets, just verbally indicating where they intend to attack, and that works faster. Drag and drop results when needed, and off we go.

Unfortunately, I don't see any game option or feature to turn off automated application of combat results so it continues to be a bit of a hassle to deal with. Am I missing something? IIRC, 4E had a checkbox that allowed DM control of whether or not results were automatically applied, but I am not finding it in the 3.5/PF ruleset.

Any suggestions? Would love to hear some advice on the subject.

Thank you in advance,
SR

Trenloe
February 26th, 2013, 03:37
There isn't an option to turn off application of to hit, damage, etc. to a targeted creature when the relevant roll is made using the double-click action.

One thing you may not be aware of - if the GM enables the tool buttons on a shared map (click the grey icon in the top left of the map) the players see 3 targeting control button - clear targets, target friendly units and target enemy units. The clear targets button is very handy for players to remove all of their current targets and then let them click those that they want before they roll.

I know this may not help too much with your players - but try giving them the option of using the buttons, keep reminding them and hopefully it may sink in! :)

Moon Wizard
February 26th, 2013, 10:14
They can just drag the rolls to the chat window also. Then, no targets are assigned.

One of the things I want to improve is visibility of targeting in the map window, though I don't have anything yet.

Regards,
JPG