PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Story Tabs

Isembard
February 25th, 2013, 20:40
A hope someone with a bit of coding knowledge can help me.
I've altered the encounter tabs in CoC's Masks of Nyarlathotep to make it compatible with the BRP ruleset. This has worked fine with all sections (story, images, NPC's etc) visible. The issue is that Masks is split into 11 chapters including sidequests each with a seperate tab in the story box. In BRP Ruleset the tabs all appear but you can only select the first 5, the rest of the tabs do nothing. This is a problem as it makes 2 chapters unreadable.
Does anyone know if there is a maximun number of story tabs in BRP? If so how can it be changed?
I hope someone can help. If not I can run with the CoC ruleset but I much prefer BRP.
Thanks
Isembard

S Ferguson
February 25th, 2013, 22:35
I don't believe there is a maximum limit, as lua was designed to plow through data fairly quickly. If you're concerned about the size of the quest, break it down into multiple modules, so you don't have to have everything open at once. That's how I would handle Masks, anyway.:)

S Ferguson
February 25th, 2013, 22:46
A hope someone with a bit of coding knowledge can help me.
I've altered the encounter tabs in CoC's Masks of Nyarlathotep to make it compatible with the BRP ruleset. This has worked fine with all sections (story, images, NPC's etc) visible. The issue is that Masks is split into 11 chapters including sidequests each with a seperate tab in the story box. In BRP Ruleset the tabs all appear but you can only select the first 5, the rest of the tabs do nothing. This is a problem as it makes 2 chapters unreadable.
Does anyone know if there is a maximun number of story tabs in BRP? If so how can it be changed?
I hope someone can help. If not I can run with the CoC ruleset but I much prefer BRP.
Thanks
Isembard

You'll have to provide code for the coding problem. But as said above, there isn't a limit enforces by the ruleset itself. I think it's mainly because BRP hasn't been maintained since version 2.8 of FG, but CoC has. I'm hoping we cacn change this.

Isembard
February 26th, 2013, 06:52
I can't provide the code as I don't know where to look within the rule set.
Yes I could quite easily break masks down into multiple modules ala shadows of yog sothoth but this is not what I ideally want to do.
S Ferguson are you sure about you response? There is a maximum number of readable table within brp as all masks tabs are visible and correctly labelled please note, they just cannot be opened.
As per original tab any assistance that helps me move forward without reconverting the whole scenario is appreciated. Thanks

Moon Wizard
February 26th, 2013, 10:12
I ran into this when I did an SW Masks conversion. I worked around by resizing the campaign story list window using CTRL+drag. Have you tried that yet?

Regards,
JPG

S Ferguson
February 26th, 2013, 14:52
I did a test run and had 15 tabs on the go, filed with the BRP Rome, the 5 mini adventures, and a few modules for campaigns I run into 15 tabs. Everything still opened fine.

Isembard
February 26th, 2013, 17:22
I've resized the story window so that all tabs are visible they just won't open. I'll just play around with it I guess.

S Ferguson
February 26th, 2013, 17:33
Well if it comes to the worst, divide and conquer. I also took one more look at the code - there isn't a limit. When you converted the module, were there any changes made? Try making a backup and delete stories that you *can* open one by one and see if the other stories come through (i.e delete Chapter 1, and see if 6 opens, etc.)

S Ferguson
March 2nd, 2013, 21:22
New update. Been doing a bit of digging in the old ruleset to get my calendar extension up and running (should be done in a week or two) and found that while there isn't a bound on the number of story tabs in the ruleset, but there is a limitation on the amount of material it can hold. As long as the entries stay under the limit of an average BRP Rulebook (which is pretty large). there'll be no problem. If I seem to remember that module has a huge section/subsection interval, with lots of information. You'll probably have to divide and conquer, until the new ruleset comes out this summer. There's a *lot* of legacy code in it stretching back eons (it seems). and some (o.k. a lot) of the functionality in the set is clunky and hidden in tiny, little crevices. With a new facelift this summer, everything should be brought up to par with the more modern systems.