PDA

View Full Version : Poll of Use and Extentions

S Ferguson
February 25th, 2013, 19:24
I was just wondering how many people, given BRP's flexibility, have built extentions for the rules outside the basic core. These could be, like the Eldritch Hooror extention, minute changes, to say a full blown world setting.

Also, I was wondering what system most people play when using BRP. Is it the classics, like Runequest, Superworld, Elfquest, or CoC? Perhaps it's of your own invention. I'm just curious to know.

Isembard
February 25th, 2013, 20:23
I'm pure Cthulhu. I've made minor extensions for The Laundry, Cthulhu Dark Ages and Cthulhu Invictus. Just simple stuff thats explained in the BRP ruleset documentation.

S Ferguson
February 25th, 2013, 22:59
Loved Cthulhu Invictus. Wasn't a big fan of the Laundry. Cthulhu by Gaslight has to be my favorite, set a little earlier, during the Civil War in the 'States. Lot's of potential stories there.

Isembard
February 26th, 2013, 06:54
Love gaslight bit all I've had to do with that is tinker with the code for the CoC extension as use that.

wbcreighton
February 26th, 2013, 08:01
There was an extension for Open Quest ( written by PeterB I believe )

A friend has done lots of work on a RQ2 extension complete with a CoP library.

I have only ever run a session or two of Post Apoc ( Sara Newton adventure: Escape from the Slavelands ).

I got introduced to FG by a GM who ran Search for the Trollslayer (BRP), but later converted us to Savage Worlds because he liked it better. :bandit:

S Ferguson
February 26th, 2013, 14:42
I feel for him; I play both equally now,

Blackfoot
March 2nd, 2013, 03:08
I've done a good bit of work on an RQII extension.. but there are a lot of features in BRP that need to be brought up to speed with the baseline rulesets.. and some fundamental functions that I was not able to implement. When we went to 2.8 there was a big jump (at least in my view) and it was beyond me to bridge the gap... I've backburnered the project and am working on other things now.
Honestly I think the ruleset probably needs to be revamped to be more line with 3.5 and 4e in terms of features. I liked a lot of things about the BRP ruleset... but it needs someone to maintain it and carry the ball with it.

S Ferguson
March 2nd, 2013, 03:12
Well I believe MOon-Wizard has taken up the ball on bringing the system up to date using the new modular rules systems, which "should" make porting more easier. Unfoirtunately that's a couple of months away....:(

Blackfoot
March 2nd, 2013, 03:23
I'll be excited to see it when it happens... until then my extension is on indefinite hold unfortunately.

S Ferguson
March 2nd, 2013, 03:24
Yeah. I know what you mean.

Sunspoticus
January 1st, 2014, 18:51
In the process of building TWO extensions for BRP...

One based on Merrie England & Stupor Mundi
... and the other being a sci-fi harness for some homebrew "space opera"

VenomousFiligree
January 1st, 2014, 19:01
Hmm, Merrie England should make it easier for me to run Drake's Plymouth with BRP... :)

Sunspoticus
January 1st, 2014, 20:25
Really love all the BRP offerings from Alephtar Games. Rome rocks, but was bummed there was no Merrie England extension for BRP. Well, I'm fixing that, if only for my own use..

S Ferguson
January 1st, 2014, 20:43
I really enjoyed Rome as well, although you really had to own the actual book to utilize it properly. Merrie England never struck my fancy, but now you've got me curious. I'll have to read through it again. I had to put my Devil's Gultch development on hold until the fate of the system is decided upon. Hopefully, there are plans in the works for updating it in the same manner that CoC was. The CoreRPG suits the "universal system" theme quite well, but BRP has usually (in my experience) been a programmer's sandbox, modding the rules to suit your game. Looking forward to see what you can do with the system I still use for pick-up gaming and flexible setting.

Blackfoot
January 1st, 2014, 21:27
Hopefully, there are plans in the works for updating it in the same manner that CoC was. The CoreRPG suits the "universal system" theme quite well, but BRP has usually (in my experience) been a programmer's sandbox, modding the rules to suit your game. Looking forward to see what you can do with the system I still use for pick-up gaming and flexible setting.I believe I read somewhere that this was the case, that all the commercial rulesets were going to be updated.

RosenMcStern
January 17th, 2014, 16:04
Actually, FG versions for all of Alephtar products had been planned, but work stopped because Rome and Al-Halisa did not sell so well.

Things may change in the future, of course. With a new version of FG available, interest in the product could rise again. But the main question is also "Will BRP be updated to the new base ruleset"? and this is still unanswered.

Moon Wizard
January 17th, 2014, 20:53
It all depends on my bandwidth at this point, unless the original ruleset developer wants to jump in to revise it.

Right now, I am making sure v3.x works for everyone, and next up is probably documentation update then Steam development.

JPG

RosenMcStern
January 17th, 2014, 21:04
At the cost of damaging my own wallet in the short run, I would say "Go on with docs and Steam, Wizard". They surely are the real priority at the moment. Wish I had time to do the adaptations myself, but I do not.

Sunspoticus
February 2nd, 2014, 15:13
By doing a little peekin' at the Numera ruleset and CoreRPG, I've already started some conversion work of BRP into 3.0, ran into a few issues, got frustrated, bagged it for a few days as during the weekend I have games to run.

I for one would gladly throw in on ANY effort to maintain/update BRP and CoC rulesets and get them safely into the FG3.0 universe...

Trenloe
February 2nd, 2014, 15:26
I for one would gladly throw in on ANY effort to maintain/update BRP and CoC rulesets and get them safely into the FG3.0 universe...
CoC has been converted to FG 3.0 with CoreRPG layering - it was one of the main rulesets that M_W used to test the migration to CoreRPG and ruleset layering: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19233-Testers-for-updated-Cthulhu-ruleset

Valarian
February 2nd, 2014, 15:58
Just picked up BRP. I've been thinking of doing a BRP conversion for Star Trek, updating the old FASA game. The Cthulhu ruleset does me for the CoC stuff, including Dark Ages.

peterb
February 3rd, 2014, 08:45
In that case, if you are not already aware of it, you may find the Sci-Fi download section at BRP Central (https://basicroleplaying.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=35) interesting.

/Peter

S Ferguson
February 4th, 2014, 17:25
Just picked up BRP. I've been thinking of doing a BRP conversion for Star Trek, updating the old FASA game. The Cthulhu ruleset does me for the CoC stuff, including Dark Ages.

As long as it's not Last Unicorn or Decipher's version of Star Trek, and true to the series (and the 25th anniversary version of the Star Trek technical manual being released again - also the Star Trek Next Gen Tech Manual has more on the original series hardware as well). I for one, would like to see this. My only question would be, "how would you resolve ship combat?" I'll look forward to any development or comments.

Cheers,
SF

Valarian
February 4th, 2014, 18:34
I'm not that big a fan of the old series, but I would be using the canon universe - the old one - rather than the Star Fleet Battles one. Ship combat I would prefer to handle as abstract narrative. The FASA game has the tactical combat simulator, but that is basically dragging out a miniatures game. Would depend what the players want to do.

S Ferguson
February 5th, 2014, 00:57
I'm not that big a fan of the old series, but I would be using the canon universe - the old one - rather than the Star Fleet Battles one. Ship combat I would prefer to handle as abstract narrative. The FASA game has the tactical combat simulator, but that is basically dragging out a miniatures game. Would depend what the players want to do.

I wasn't referring to implementing SFB (man, that would be an undertaking), but rather suggesting resources to gauge playability and placing in "canon." In ship combat, if I recall the TCS, there was a provision for having players taking on the roles of the individual substations (weapons, shields, con, etc.) which might be an interesting solution to the problem. I'm not a big fan of the originals either (I actually liked Enterprise, the best which means I'm already a minority case). Given the scenarios in the shows though, Battle Stations is a constant with rough equivalents on the bridge, for any "generation."

Cheers,
SF

Michael Hopcroft
February 13th, 2014, 01:12
I was referred here from BRP Central, so I thought I'd mention that I am interested in a BRP ruleset. I'm not sure which edition of the demo I've actually downloaded and whether I actually have FG3 or FG2.

How much programming is required to customize a ruleset? I know that CoC stuff (at least in the current edition) can be tweaked for the other BRP games. I don't know whether the official BRP ruleset will even work with the current editions. But then I'm completely new to virtual tabletops so I'm probably not the best person to be asking these questions.

So I'm not entirely sure WHAT I'm doing.

Moon Wizard
February 13th, 2014, 06:30
FG just recently went through a major upgrade to allow layering of features to build up rulesets. There is a CoreRPG ruleset that can be used to run any game, with some basic data sheets. Several of the SmiteWorks supported rulesets are built on this CoreRPG layer now (4E, 3.5E, PFRPG, Call of Cthulhu, Castles and Crusades). The developers for Savage Worlds and Rolemaster are looking at updates right now as well. The other rulesets provided by SmiteWorks will be brought up to that level eventually as we get developers to help or I find time to do the migration myself.

There are some people looking at it already:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18263-Update-for-BRP

Regards,
JPG

wbcreighton
February 13th, 2014, 22:59
I was referred here from BRP Central, so I thought I'd mention that I am interested in a BRP ruleset. I'm not sure which edition of the demo I've actually downloaded and whether I actually have FG3 or FG2.

How much programming is required to customize a ruleset? I know that CoC stuff (at least in the current edition) can be tweaked for the other BRP games. I don't know whether the official BRP ruleset will even work with the current editions. But then I'm completely new to virtual tabletops so I'm probably not the best person to be asking these questions.

So I'm not entirely sure WHAT I'm doing.

Glad to see to found your way over here :-)

Not sure if you got the answer to the question, but the FG file you download is always the newest version.

Michael Hopcroft
February 14th, 2014, 04:51
Glad to see to found your way over here :-)

Not sure if you got the answer to the question, but the FG file you download is always the newest version.

That helps. And it keeps wanting to update too.

If I were to buy the BRP ruleset now, I wouldn't have to buy it again if it finally gets the upgrade, would I? I imagine one of the things that will determine whether Chaosium has enough interest to greenlight a new version would be whether people will buy it, or whether the market for it has already been saturated and a new version won't being in that many new customers. I wonder if that may be the case given what's been rumored about the system changes in Call of Cthulhu (which, if correct, might obsolete the entire BRP line).

Valarian
February 14th, 2014, 06:54
The ruleset upgrades are usually free. New versions of modules (game system versions) may be chargeable if further license charges are required.

Michael Hopcroft
February 15th, 2014, 03:29
I have the ruleset now (take that, checking account!) -- the brief demo convinced me. Now it's a question of whether I want to get any of the extensions, obsolete though they probably are, anytime soon.

One thing I learned is DO NOT ROLL DICE AGAINST THE CHARACTERISTICS. The system treats those just like skill rolls, meaning success will be exceedingly rare. Better to refer to the Resistance Table when doing a test of strength and the like.

S Ferguson
February 15th, 2014, 03:35
Glad you caught that "glitch" in the otherwise concise rules. Don't worry about purchasing add-ons, as they are designed for the most part to be backwards compatible with any "newer" version of the ruleset comes out.

Michael Hopcroft
February 15th, 2014, 04:19
I'd like another go at a demo, actually. I want to see the character sheet again and what it does with Idea Rolls and the like.

The dice tower will be handy for Idea Rolls -- you would never know whether you succeeded or failed at one, and whether the answer the GM gives you is good or bad. In the RPG I published a decade ago, there were situations where you would roll against your abilities but not know the target level. The GM would interpret your roll, but is under no obligation to tell you whether you succeeded or failed. Your only clue would be the dice themselves -- if you saw that you're rolled a -3 on 4dF it would be obvious that you weren't doing very well. A dice tower would be nice there too.

RosenMcStern
February 15th, 2014, 09:16
(which, if correct, might obsolete the entire BRP line).

I have no info confirming what you wrote. I doubt Chaosium will make such a move as declaring an entire line obsolete.

Michael Hopcroft
February 15th, 2014, 20:53
I am thinking about the controversy over Call of Cthulhu going over to percentile Characteristics in addition to percentile Skills. And whether Chaosium might one day find it desirable to apply something similar to the rest of the BRP line. I really doubt the will, and hope they don't.

Trenloe
February 15th, 2014, 21:14
I am thinking about the controversy over Call of Cthulhu going over to percentile Characteristics in addition to percentile Skills. And whether Chaosium might one day find it desirable to apply something similar to the rest of the BRP line. I really doubt the will, and hope they don't.
It's really not much of a hardship if they do. The backwards conversion guidelines (CoC 7th to CoC 6th) included in the CoC 7th edition scenario "Dead Light" is a very simple 8 steps. With the first, and main one, being: "Divide all 7th edition characteristics by 5. Thus, STR 80 is equal to STR 16." There's really not much to it...

Blackfoot
February 15th, 2014, 21:34
I guess I'll have to get back to my RQ II ruleset once I've finished off the Champions stuff... before all this tweaking comes into play. Whee.

Michael Hopcroft
February 16th, 2014, 00:26
I guess I'll have to get back to my RQ II ruleset once I've finished off the Champions stuff... before all this tweaking comes into play. Whee.

I doubt the ruleset will be chanmged permanently for FG users. Although how to account for people wanting to play 7th as opposed to 6th might require some extra work from whoever maintains the CoC set.

S Ferguson
February 16th, 2014, 00:50
I think COC is in Moon's court at the moment.

Moon Wizard
February 18th, 2014, 19:40
Most likely, the ruleset will be converted to 7th edition as demand increases for that edition. I'm not familiar with the differences, or how the ruleset may need to be updated yet.

JPG

Trenloe
February 18th, 2014, 19:46
The Call of Cthulhu 7th edition quick start PDF is available for free from the Chaosium website: https://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?products_id=6900&osCsid=6jalk26efqie4psfn13edd22m2

chillybilly
April 19th, 2014, 12:48
Is there a way for my players to see status effects of the NPCs in the combat tracker?