PDA

View Full Version : New modem = no connection

Fot5
February 25th, 2013, 01:43
My internet provider sent me a new modem this week. I also updated FGII (doubt this has anything to do with the problem, but I thought I'd mention it). Previously, I've been GMing a game for a few years, and have had no problems allowing players to connect. Since installing the new modem, I cannot get FGII to allow connections, and I cannot get a "pass" when I test the FGII connection test. I have a WRN2000 router which is has port forwarding set up , and the computer from which I GM is set up to have a static IP address. Other than this, I am having no other problems with my internet connection (with the exception of an archaic computer that will now no longer connect to the network).

Any thoughts on what might be going on?

Thanks in advance.

unerwünscht
February 25th, 2013, 02:30
Most modern modems are what the industry call 'smart modem gateways' they are a combo modem/router. It may be that you need to setup port forwarding in the modem as well. To do this correctly you would forward the port from the modem to the routers IP address and then from the router to your computers IP address. Or you can call tech support for the modem and have the 'smart features' turned off reverting it to a passive modem.

I hope that helps you. If it doesn't let us know what model the modem is, and I am sure one of us can figure it out.

Fot5
February 25th, 2013, 05:49
Thanks. You confirmed what I expected was the situation. The technical support person who I communicated with about the new modem didn't know anything about it, so I located the documentation online and was able to track down the new wireless connection through trial-and-error and then to confirm that the company had changed the default logon and password before sending the modem to me. The company said that they'll trade out the new modem for one that doesn't have a router built in.

Zeus
February 26th, 2013, 08:14
Thanks. You confirmed what I expected was the situation. The technical support person who I communicated with about the new modem didn't know anything about it, so I located the documentation online and was able to track down the new wireless connection through trial-and-error and then to confirm that the company had changed the default logon and password before sending the modem to me. The company said that they'll trade out the new modem for one that doesn't have a router built in.

Fot5 - There is usually an option to disable the inbuilt router functionality in a smart modem gateway.

I recently received a modem upgrade from Virgin Media in the UK which similarly has
an inbuilt router (SuperHub). First thing I did was log into the web management interface and set it to modem only mode. I still use my separate router even in the new setup.

unerwünscht
February 26th, 2013, 08:59
Fot5 - There is usually an option to disable the inbuilt router functionality in a smart modem gateway.

This is correct but his comment that the company had changed the default username/password before shipping it to him suggests that they are unwilling to allow changes in the modems configuration (this is frequently the case with DSL providers).

This is not just blind speculation, I spent about 6 years working DSL tech support before working in the entertainment industry.

Zeus
February 26th, 2013, 21:18
This is correct but his comment that the company had changed the default username/password before shipping it to him suggests that they are unwilling to allow changes in the modems configuration (this is frequently the case with DSL providers).

This is not just blind speculation, I spent about 6 years working DSL tech support before working in the entertainment industry.

I believe you, certainly no reason not to.

If you Google the make/model of the modem, its pretty trivial to find the hard reset sequence (that is if the modem doesn't have a reset to factory defaults button). Once reset the username/password will be reset (again Google is your friend here).

As for the modem being locked out by the service provider, to me, that would be unacceptable. The provision of the service they provide should terminate at the boundary of your home. How you set up your internal network should be entirely up to you.

Your comments have made me feel kinda lucky that I am with VM, as they provide an easy button on their superhub modem web portal to enable/disable the inbuilt router.

unerwünscht
February 26th, 2013, 23:55
Yea, they are not legally allowed to do quite a few things they do here in the states. Blocking ports, Sniffing packets, Internal IP binding, Filtering websites, etc. etc. The issue here is that all of the major communication and cable companies have politicians in their pockets, so nothing will ever get done about their espionage like activities.