PDA

View Full Version : Question About Adventure Conversion

Emrak
February 24th, 2013, 20:21
I'm converting a PF module into an FG2 module and would like some input. Using Xorn's excellent tutorial here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/tutorial/4ECampaignManagement.wmv I've got my module about 75% done. However, about 25% of the module is non-combat stuff, such as a skill-based encounter (make check to not fall down a slippery cliff, etc.) and RP encounters (PCs meet an old Gypsy man around a campfire). Where does stuff like that go? Do I build them out as actual FG2 "Encounters" or just story entries?

To ask it another way, at the 7:10 mark or so, Xorn talks about the prep for the adventure. You'll note he doesn't have any NON-combat encounters listed in his Word doc. Where should they go in that Word doc?

Thanks!

JohnD
February 24th, 2013, 20:26
It is really up to you just how much/little you want to put into a module conversion.

I put in my maps and pictures, along with NPCs and creatures which I know there's a certainty or high probability there's going to be some conflict with. Everything else I just leave out. It helps that I have my module/books/source material beside me when I run a game... I just refer to those as needed.

If you ever do need stats for your innkeeper and his two serving wenches, just pull something out of the NPC module and assign a token and away you go.

I look at it like this: do I want to spend more of my free time creating an adventure or DMing it?

Emrak
February 24th, 2013, 21:14
Yeah, I know I could just refer to the PDF, but that just means having to look at another file during game time, so I'm shooting to have it all within FG2.

damned
February 24th, 2013, 21:26
If entering story from PDF it doesnt take that long. Write up the encounter as it appears in the PDF. Pin to map if you like and create NPCs if you think it is required.

Trenloe
February 24th, 2013, 22:32
Use story entries for the main, non-encounter based areas of your campaign. You can link other story entries, images/maps, NPCs, encounters, etc. into a story entry and so these are very handy to build up a hierarchy of information within the adventure.

An example of this is the Well Met in Kith'takharos module that comes for free with Fantasy Grounds. Start a new 3.5E campaign, activate the "Well Met in Kith'takharos" module and open the "Story" list - you'll see 3 new green tabs along the bottom. Look through these you give you plenty of example of laying out adventure information and linking it to other entries.

Also, as damned has mentioned, you can drag links to a map that are then enabled as shortcuts (press the CTRL key to see shortcuts or enable them in the right-click menu on the map) - these are very, very handy to show you on a map where there is more info and to open a linked story entry to give you that info and perhaps provide further links...

Mgrancey
February 25th, 2013, 00:43
Would depend on the size of skill challenge, if you look under NPC's, you'll see 2 tabs, "NPCs" and "Encounters" when you create a new Encounter you can choose it to be Combat or Skill Challenge at bottom. Select Skill challenge and you can put information into it, though I admit I am unsure as to how to input information so Skill challenge tracker can properly read it. I would probably look up Dr. Zuess as he might be original coder of that effect. Gimme a day or two and I can probably give a better answer after looking at XML in a test module.

Trenloe
February 25th, 2013, 00:48
Would depend on the size of skill challenge, if you look under NPC's, you'll see 2 tabs, "NPCs" and "Encounters" when you create a new Encounter you can choose it to be Combat or Skill Challenge at bottom.
There is no "skill challenge" option in the 3.5E ruleset only the 4E ruleset - this is because 4E D&D introduced the concept of a formal skill challenge to the d20 line of rules, whereas there is no such formal skill challenge in 3.5E or Pathfinder.

Mgrancey
February 25th, 2013, 01:13
Ah, sorry thought this was in 4e thread didn't double check to make sure which skewed my perception to being question about skill challenge.