PDA

View Full Version : How to do NPC rolls as a DM

Otter
February 23rd, 2013, 20:10
Trying to work out how to use FG and Rolemaster. This is especialy with regards to the position as a DM. I am able to log in as a test charcter while still having a DM Application open ( realy nice feature to test out ideas). hoping to practice how to do various things that wil destroy and crush i mean challenge the party . Thing is i can do all the rolls i want, how i want as a character. When it comes to the NPC and i want to roll say a perception check. How do you do that? The program will have populated a load of skills for a generic npc already for me (fab) but i dont seem to be able to use them ? Can any of the experianced players give some tips and hints on common stumbling blocks.
Thanks
Otter

Dakadin
February 23rd, 2013, 20:56
Unfortunately it is a somewhat manual process at this point.

* Open the NPC and go to the skills tab.
* Drag the bonus for the NPC you want to the modifier stack in the lower left corner.
* Roll the open ended dice

The good news is it will be automated in the next version. I just added it last night. The bad news is the next version won't be out for at least a few months. I need to add more to it first. :D

It sounds like you already know this but just in case I want to point out the NPC table is available in Character Law. The GM can drag NPCs from the Table to his campaign NPC list and it will fill in the skills from the table along with a lot of other information. Languages and spell lists need to be added manually but the notes list how many. Just make the needed adjustments to make the NPC your own and enjoy. Oh and thank JohnD for recommending it. ;)

Otter
March 1st, 2013, 00:34
Thank you for the response! I'm looking forward to the update. As feedback the npc skills being generated is really useful and I like that lots. Will hope to do some experimental reffing soon. Need to face up and start putting some text into the scenarios.
Thanks
Otter

Dakadin
March 1st, 2013, 02:07
Let me know if you can think of anything else that would be useful.

It is pretty intimidating at first but don't be afraid to jump in. Things get better each time you run a game. If you can try to sit in on a game to observe that helps a lot.