PDA

View Full Version : Stellar Wings RPG

GolbezLunar
February 23rd, 2013, 04:06
Information

Looking for players interested in joining persistent campaign set in the Stellar Winds. We are using GURPS lite as a base rule set as the game will focus on character development and the overall path / career choices your character makes in the universe. Characters are to be designed with the intentions of maturing into heroic / if not legendary during the course of there adventuring career. Historically Stellar Winds has been about development of character's relationships with one another and the various powers and elements that operate in the universe. So we are looking for players want to tell a story about there characters from start to finish rather then hack and slash.

https://www.sjgames.com/transhuman/img/lite.pdf

Introduction

The universe has foraged it’s heroes from the flames of all the stars. Individually they find themselves drawn to the great sea of infinity. Seeking its secrets, and embracing all the dangers it has to offer for one soul reason, to for fill their dreams.

With the short lived discovery of the star league treasure washed away by the blood of those who found the courage to seek it. The legendary treasure has sunk once again to myth. Only few remain from the first great age of hero’s and time perhaps is now catching up with them. Their youth fading like a dyeing star in the sea of blackness. Only to be left with the scars that for tell something that occurred, once upon a time.

Yet the universe continues giving birth to new and brings an end to the old. Some are forgotten lost the void of space, while others are remembered with a sore heart. In all case they are gone. So now the new must make their way and find the courage to chase after their own dreams, seeking the fame that can only be rewarded through the dangerous perils of adventuring. Of course these new faces only know the myths of the adventurers who have traveled the path before them. To them the names of those who have defined the odds, faced the dread dark elf pirates, and won their legacy have only inspired them.

So we bid a fond farewell to those who have had their share of space, and bid welcome to those who wish to replace the tales of old with stories of their own…

The Universe

Stellar Winds is story that takes place in a sector of space where classic fantasy variants of races reside to close to comfort. It is a group of star clusters in a twenty light year cube of space tucked away under the belly of a enormous purple nebula called the Great Morass. These clusters are home to interstellar governmental alien empires, colonial worlds, and ancient elven home worlds cloaked in mystery and magic.

Current Day Stella Sector:

The Stella Sector has is divided into four subsectors quartering off various clusters of stars. The shape and look of the politics of present day Stellar Winds by the Star League Empire a powerful government of human worlds that raided distant worlds for resources, gold, and magic. The Star League ruled for over 100 years unchecked in much the same style of Spanish empire of the 1500s. The Star League carted off treasures found on distant worlds in giant space gallons though fell apart to internal strife during its twilight years giving rise to the Kingdoms of Gaia ruled by absolute monarchies waring over the ruins left behind by the Star League in the colonial frontiers of Stella Sector.

Ancient Times:

In the ancient times the Elven Empire of Asyuran rules across the sector in what is considered the banner of stars. Advanced in technology and magical by nature they're civilization was vast and cultured. They had the ability to travel from one star system to another in a matter of minutes through the use of a the Starway. A network of passages that connect together in between time and space. However as advanced as there civilization was the destruction of there capital world to a super nova plunged the civilization into utter chaos leaving the various distant worlds isolated and alone without the ability to access the Starway. This dark age marked the start of a slow death of the star elves and the rise to alien empires in neighboring clusters and later on the humans.

The Campaign

The players will begin with newbie adventure characters given various opportunities to establish them selves. Then will take them through adventure after adventure developing they're characters and forging a legacy. The storylines will vary based on what type of characters are enrolled in the game and what aspect of universe the will get to role play in.

Privateers of the New Worlds

The more popular venue of Stellar Winds is the New Worlds Cluster which carries the flavor of the age of sail and the Caribbean. These games allow players to seek buried Star League treasure, technologies of the ancients, or become space buccaneers. We've had players manage and operate a privateer company while others focused on locating and searching Star League Treasure. We have had some elevate there status to pirate lords residing over pirate settlements.

Denizens of the Great Morass

Another version of the universe is taken from the perspective of dreaded dark elves. These cousins of the Star Elves reside in the darkness of the great morass and find them selves in an struggle against the dangerous species that have called this place home long before they have. Organized by houses and governed by strict rules of tradition these clans plot against one another's weakness or in ability to uphold tradition in efforts to expand there family's strength and protect there civilization against the Glicks. A dangerous arachnid species with advance telepathic abilities.

Nobles of the Old Worlds

The noble lords and royal monarchies of the human cluster of Gaia are in a constant competition with there neighboring monarchs. They often war over territory with there space navies, engage cut throat business between power corporations, and conduct espionage operations. There is no limit to various conflicts that the monarchies of Gaia could come to when it comes to the stake of supremacy in the Stella Sector.

Eternal Graces of the Star Elf

Governed by strict traditions these noble houses struggle to retain there identity in a ever changing universe by protecting what little of there ancient technological artifacts they have left. These artifacts are magically powerful and incredibly advanced by most alien species standards making them highly sought after. As as forcing the Star Elves to be territorial and isolationist rejecting outsiders for the sake of there fading identities.

GolbezLunar
February 23rd, 2013, 04:07
Character Outlines

Physical traits
✓ Date of birth and age:

✓ Height and weight:

✓ Ethnic heritage:

✓ Hair and eye color:

Include a detailed physical description, including scars or physical
handi-caps, along with the character’s usual style of dressing.

Emotional & Family Life

What’s your character’s personality like? Describe it in 25 words or less.

✓ What kind of sense of humor does your character have?

✓ What’s your character’s religious faith?

✓ What political party does your character belong to and why?

✓ What’s the character’s family like? Describe it, including parents,
siblings, and children. You may include grandparents, cousins, a
spouse, or anyone else relevant.

✓ What are the character’s friends like? Describe them, including your
character’s best male friend and best female friend.

✓ Who are your character’s enemies? Explain how they came to be enemies.

✓ What is in your character’s pockets, wallet, purse, or backpack?
Describe the contents in detail.

✓ What’s your character’s home like? Describe it in detail.

✓ What is your character’s happiest childhood memory? His worst?

✓ How would your character describe himself?

✓ How would your character’s friends describe him?

Intellectual and work life

✓ Your character’s educational background Father taught her
everything from history, math, science and fighting skills

✓ What sort of employment your character has and his work history
Never had to work.

✓ Your character’s favorite music, books, and movies Ohh books.

✓ Any interesting hobbies

✓ Your character’s personal philosophy (and where it came from)

Values

✓What are the core truths for your character? You can have sev-
eral of these.

✓ Ambition: What one abstract thing does your character want most in
the world?

✓ Story goal: What one concrete thing does your character believe she
needs to do or have or become in order to achieve her ambition?

GolbezLunar
February 23rd, 2013, 04:15
We are looking to see what kind of interest there is. If we get a following then I'm willing to buy full license.

PhorgottenSon
February 23rd, 2013, 18:14
Some questions, What day of the week would this be on? What time of day and how long do sessions normally last? Sessions will be weekly, biweekly, bimonthly, ?

Thanks.

Also, I am normally not a grammar Nazi, but the use of their, they're, and there needs to be looked over, please.

saithan
February 23rd, 2013, 19:17
i myself as an avid gurps fanatic am very interested, though many of my questions were well covered in PhorgottenSons question.

Andrepartthree
February 24th, 2013, 03:22
If you're already familiar with the whole FG thing GolbezLunar then you can ignore what I'm saying below as stuff that falls under the category of " Why is he telling me stuff I already know?" :P ... and I have to say BEAUTIFUL recruitment post here this is exactly the sort of campaign I would normally try to run if I only had the time to GM :( ... love the emphasis on role playing and the character creation questions :)

One thing I noticed on FG ... some players are great typists and prefer a text-only game because they feel it makes for a good "mood" and "atmosphere" whereupon hearing real life voices destroys that :P .. other players who describe themselves as "
slow" typists much prefer voice chat (skype et cetera) as far as declaring both in character stuff and out of character type comments ... others combine both , type what you say or do in character and say via voice what you do out of character ... but you can see how if you have say 2 players who are great fast typists , 2 players who are slow typists, and you decide you want a text only game where it would be a problem.. I found out the hard way best to clarify this ahead of time...

Given the emphasis on role playing how do you feel about setting up a forum for the campaign specifically? There's a bunch of websites out there that offer such services for free ... one format I've found most effective is to have part of the forum devoted to out of character stuff "how to divide up the treasure", " rules clarifications" , " when's our next game" and part of the forum devoted to role playing for players who like to engage other player characters in PC to PC conversations outside of the game. The role playing on the forum part might not be everyone's cup of tea but even then it still comes in handy because you can divide the forum up into "rules questions" section, " who gets what treasure" section, " can't GM a game this week due to work" section et cetera :) ...

Not trying to sound too negative or imply every player is like this but .... you'll notice in FG there are a certain number of players who will flake on you I see it in every FG campaign I've ever been in (rolls eyes)... sounds like you would like to write up detailed plotlines specific to each player character to incorporate into the campaign (let me know if I'm wrong ;) ) ... then a player decides the campaign just isn't his cup of tea and leaves after a few FG game sessions and you're pulling your hair out :P .. it's a sad but common thing here in FG (I find players like that often aren't fully committed to the whole role playing/getting into character thing and abandon ship for a more "casual" game - though I've also seen situations where players who do a WONDERFUL job role playing have a new baby or changes in job situation come along too that forces them to leave the game even when they don't want to) ... so be prepared for "flaky" players too, through trial and error you'll eventually get committed serious players you can run a good game with :) ..

I'd also recommend letting people know what time zone you're in ... you might get say a super eager guy from England or Australia who wants to game with you and you don't find out he's going to sleep when you're waking up :P (or visa versa) until it's too late ;) ...

I'd totally apply to join if I wasn't already in an FG game ... again kudo's on your awesome recruitment ad I hope this works out for you :) ..

GolbezLunar
February 24th, 2013, 08:09
Hello. I should probably post a time!

I was thinking, Mondays, 11am / and or 8pm EST. Games go for about 5-6hrs

JohnD
February 24th, 2013, 18:34
On the plus side, if you get a player actually giving you all that information you've asked for (a lengthy time commitment in and of itself), they're more likely to stick with your game instead of flaking out like so many do.

Andrepartthree
February 25th, 2013, 21:35
On the plus side, if you get a player actually giving you all that information you've asked for (a lengthy time commitment in and of itself), they're more likely to stick with your game instead of flaking out like so many do.

That is an EXCELLENT point :) ... I've noticed the players who don't bother to give the slightest indication of any background/personality or even what their character looks like during FG games are the more "casual" ones who are likely to drop an FG game entirely say in favor of the latest world of warcraft expansion or what not :P ... I'd personally have a ton of fun filling out a profile just like this for my character :) if it wasn't for my lack of time to be in more than one campaign and commitment to another FG game ...

GolbezLunar I'm thinking you mean eastern time zone USA since your profile mentions you live in Boston and work for Comcast but you might want to clarify that ;) ..

Andrepartthree
February 25th, 2013, 21:42
Also I found this online.. to be honest I wasn't sure what the heck Stellar Winds was all about as an RPG to begin with :P .. not sure if this helps any ;) but

https://stellarwinds.wikidot.com/

https://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=90214

Blahness98
February 26th, 2013, 15:27
If I had the time, I'd play this. But unfortuneately, I cannot squeeze it in. Good luck in your game.

Great name BTW.. FFIV was my favorite of the series..