PDA

View Full Version : FG2 & IPv6

dulux-oz
February 21st, 2013, 10:31
Hi All,

Does FG2 work with IPv6 - I know that you lot in the States will be using IPv4 for a while yet :p , but in some parts of the world IPv6 is becoming "almost" mandatory - we certainly run it at work and don't use IPv4 at all (except to NAT it out to the rest of the world). I also use IPv6 exclusively at home and don't particularly want to Duel-Stack my Routers or my Gateway.

So, does FG2 work with IPv6?

Cheers

Moon Wizard
February 21st, 2013, 19:58
Not currently, though my home network is dual IPv4 / IPv6 and it works fine. Given that it works well as is, there is not a big impetus to add. If you want, please add to the wish list.

The challenge is that connections are facilitated across varying platforms and across the "Internet" network space; and IPv4 is the lowest common denominator.

I haven't researched sufficiently to see if FG could be setup to run in some sort of dual mode. There are a number of factors to consider (specifying host access (IPv4, IPv6, alias), alias support (IPv4 and IPv6), IPv6 per machine determination, host to client IP version negotiation, IPv6 port forwarding). Essentially, this is quite a bit of effort (research, design, build, test) for a capability that does not enhance the primary goal of the product.

All that being said, I would like to have this as well. It's more of a priority thing. I'm also hoping that I eventually stumble across a decent indie networking library that handles all of this gracefully.

Regards,
JPG

svossler
September 13th, 2014, 17:31
I've got HughesNet satellite connection and need IPV6 to port forward. Can't host online. Currently I just use local LAN, but my original plan was to bring in the members of my group that have moved away. This is an older post, has the IPV6 been added to the updates?

Moon Wizard
September 13th, 2014, 20:52
Not currently. You may be able to workaround with a tool like Hamachi, but I haven't investigated.

We are currently working on a rewrite of Fantasy Grounds using Unity platform that will replace the networking subsystem. So, we will be looking at IPv6 support when we do that. Hopefully, it will be fairly simple to add with the new library.

Cheers,
JPG

svossler
September 14th, 2014, 03:47
Thanks. Any idea on a time frame 2015ish, 2016ish, etc

Moon Wizard
September 14th, 2014, 08:18
It all depends on how the porting goes as well as figuring out which new/changed capabilities will make the cut. We're looking at 2015 timeframe, but won't have many exact details until we finalize the port and features. We will most likely be posting screens of various proof of concept work we are working on as we go.

Regards,
JPG

damned
September 14th, 2014, 13:18
I've got HughesNet satellite connection and need IPV6 to port forward. Can't host online. Currently I just use local LAN, but my original plan was to bring in the members of my group that have moved away. This is an older post, has the IPV6 been added to the updates?

Most GMs that use a Satellite connection have to use Hamachi or another VPN service...
If you need help with Hamachi try this thread.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20309-GM-Connection-Issues-Tried-Everything-Try-Hamachi&p=166391&viewfull=1#post166391