PDA

View Full Version : Dice graphic and Hotkey glitches

gmkieran
February 20th, 2013, 14:07
Basic info: FG 2.9.2, D&D 3.5, NPC extension active on host (not me), Win XP/7/8

Noticed a couple of things in the D&D 3.5 rule set during our game last night. First, holding the Alt key while rolling a D20 from a hotkey (possibly just rolling a D20 from any source) changes the roll graphic. The die appears in the chat window and essentially spins in place, rather than rolling across the surface of the window. It's actually kinda cool, but no other die type does it. The glitch happens for any combination of keys that include the Alt key. Other players were able to replicate the functionality on their side, including the host machine.

Second, I am unable to edit the labels on hotkeys that require a function key to access (ie holding down Shift or Ctrl or Alt to access a bank of hotkeys renders editing of those keys' labels ineffective). The option appears in the radial menu and the key bank remains visible, even after I release the function key after I select the Edit option, but I am unable to change or delete the text to enter my own label.

Cheers!
GMK

Zeus
February 20th, 2013, 17:59
:) The ultra spinning d20 glitch as you put it, isn't a glitch its a feature.

Holding down the Alt key (Cmd key for Mac OS X users) will extend the spin duration as well as cause amusement.

Whenever one of my players has a particularly bad evening of dice rolls, I suggest holding down the alt key - it doesn't really do anything but acts as a good placebo to lift spirits.

gmkieran
February 20th, 2013, 18:13
Thanks, Dr Z! I wondered, but I figured it would affect more than the d20 if it were intentional.

Moon Wizard
February 21st, 2013, 21:32
I wasn't able to reproduce the hot key rename issue you mentioned. Are you still having that issue?

Regards,
JPG

gmkieran
February 22nd, 2013, 16:14
I will re-check when we play again next Tuesday, JPG. It happened several times during our session, but I suppose it's also possible that the default label is simply so long that I gave up holding down the Delete key too soon and just never saw the cursor come into view.

It would be nice if the editing of hotkey names were a little more robust - most of the time the name extends past the end of the hotkey and the cursor automatically jumps to the end of the string, out of sight. I haven't been able to select the entire field with Shift+Home or CTRL+A so I can just overwrite what's there and deleting via backspace shows no visible impact until the cursor comes into view, so it's hard to tell if anything is happening. Is it possible to drag text onto the hotkey as a label without replacing the information that was already dragged from the character sheet? Might it be possible to have choosing the Edit Label option bring up a secondary window containing the entire current label that can then be edited?

cheers!
GMK

Moon Wizard
February 22nd, 2013, 19:55
I agree, though the current hot key bar code doesn't have a notion of this. It would require a fair bit of work for a minor enhancement, which is why it's never been addressed. Maybe a wish list item to see how many people are affected?

Also, can you give me some examples of the types of hot keys you are setting up with long text labels? I want to understand what the magnitude of the label and the types of hot keys you are using.

BTW, this may also be relevant to multi-line chat entry, which has a similar challenge.

Thanks,
JPG

gmkieran
February 25th, 2013, 19:03
Sure, I'll post up a wish list entry, see if anyone else feels the need. ;)

Most of my hotkeys are attacks and related damage rolls, something like 'Longsword Attack [#2] Flaming +3' (that's not the exact text, but it's close and it's that long or longer). They're whatever the field defaults to when I drag attack or damage dice from my combat tab to the hotkey when creating it.

Multi-line chat, though, has the advantage of being able to do a SHIFT+Left Arrow to select everything in the line, something I couldn't get to work with the hotkey label editor.

Cheers!
GMK

heatsink
February 26th, 2013, 10:25
Is there anything you can do about the label on Effects dragged to a hotkey being hard to read? Its white text over the pale gray round Effect icon meaning very little contrast.

gmkieran
February 27th, 2013, 16:53
So, re-visited the issue last night and was able to re-name all of my attack hotkeys to something readable. Perhaps it was just a patience thing and I didn't wait long enough for the Delete to bring the cursor into visibility. That said, I still wasn't able to re-name the hotkeys where my Stat rolls are stored, even with holding Delete for 45 seconds or more. I also wasn't able to use the back arrow to selectively edit the existing text - I could only delete and then type a new label from scratch. Would still like to see the Edit Lable function, and MouseOver if possible, display the entire text of the current label and then be able to select all or part of that to edit. So, the wish list entry is up - hope I'm not alone!

Cheers!
GMK