PDA

View Full Version : RMC Ruleset Documentation

Dakadin
February 19th, 2013, 02:11
Siltoneous has been doing a great job helping me with documentation. He's been doing the bulk of the work with me just answering questions. The Character Creation/Character Sheet and Campaign Options are now available on the wiki. The can also be accessed within the ruleset. Here are the links to the wiki:

Rolemaster Classic - Character Creation/Character Sheet (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996643432/Rolemaster+Classic+-+Character+Creation)
Rolemaster Classic - Campaign Options (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996643421/Rolemaster+Classic+-+Campaign+Options)

Frunobulax
June 21st, 2017, 16:21
The documentation is out of date. I see so many differences between the current version of FG and the documentation...

Trenloe
June 21st, 2017, 16:35
The documentation is out of date. I see so many differences between the current version of FG and the documentation...
Keep in mind that the RMC ruleset is not built on top of the CoreRPG ruleset. So a lot of the generic functionality you see in other rulesets is not in the RMC ruleset, or it is done differently.

The current version of the RMC ruleset is v1.7.6. The Stat Generation and Stat Gain document in post #1 covers this version.

That said, there is always room for improving documentation, so it's good to get constructive feedback. What specific areas of the RMC v1.7.6 ruleset is incorrect/different in the documentation above?

Frunobulax
June 23rd, 2017, 06:47
That said, there is always room for improving documentation, so it's good to get constructive feedback. What specific areas of the RMC v1.7.6 ruleset is incorrect/different in the documentation above?

Well, for example, in section 2.1.2 it mentions a lot of "open the library and look in the book for race/profession etc, then type it in." But there are dropdowns for these things. The whole stat generation section, 2.1.3 is out of date because there are buttons to automatically roll a set of stats/potentials and re-order them with buttons onscreen. No need to roll manually, write them down, and type them in. In section 2.1.7, it says to drag and drop the "spells" primary skill onto the Skills tab and re-name it after the spell list. But if that's the case, what is the "Spells" tab for? That's where I dragged and dropped my spell lists. In section 2.1.10, it says to manually add up the DPs in the "misc" column, but if you just change the rank, the cost is entered and subtracted from the remaining DPs at the bottom. And that's just in the character creation section.

Dakadin
June 24th, 2017, 03:10
Yes, most of those changes were things I added to make things easier. Documentation isn't a strength of mine. I started working on it before time became hard to come by. That is where the Stat Generation and Stat Gain document came from. If I find some time I will try to update it.

Frunobulax
June 24th, 2017, 18:53
I understand. I know time is the most valuable commodity of all, and keeping documentation up to date is a boring pain in the keister.

Bossmitch
June 25th, 2017, 01:07
I am also interested in a RMC game if it can be worked into my work schedule. I have not played RMC, but have studied the rules, and am intrigued by it. I am also well versed in Fantasy grounds and the RMC ruleset. Please let me know if you make progress getting a game together. I am in the US central time zone, and weekends are most likely to work for me.

Bale Nomad
November 25th, 2017, 22:28
Keep in mind that the RMC ruleset is not built on top of the CoreRPG ruleset.

So is that why I cannot use the "pregencharselect" class when developing a module? I have tried following the relevant documentation for the CoreRPG ruleset and a sample module I found in the forums, and I get the message "Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (pregencharselect : pregens@Pregen Link Test)".

Moon Wizard
November 26th, 2017, 00:01
Yes. A ruleset needs to be based on CoreRPG to use that window class.

Regards,
JPG

Bale Nomad
December 4th, 2017, 22:38
I created an extension to the RMC ruleset to implement the "pregencharselect" functionality. It is posted with a few sample modules here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18709-RMC-Character-Vault&p=366321#post366321

As described in the post, a couple of the modules name the collection of character sheets the same, and they are presented together in the selection window. I would appreciate any recommendation for preventing that result if possible.

Bale Nomad

Mac77
July 24th, 2018, 23:00
Hi Dakadin, I am looking for the static maneuver table, I see it is in character law but cannot find it in the tables option on the main screen, so I can drag it into the combat resolver. I can see the M&m table and the resistance roll table, but no static maneuver table. Thanks.

Dakadin
July 25th, 2018, 04:21
Hi Mac77,

Unfortunately, that table isn't one of the ones setup for the Table Resolver. There is some good news though. I think Ardem has a copy of it in his RMFRP module that goes with the RMFRP extension. There is a sticky thread for modules and extensions which should have a link to it.

Mac77
July 25th, 2018, 21:16
Thank you sir.

Ardem
July 26th, 2018, 05:45
Yeah RMFRP has the static maneuver table as well as all the tables from the school of hard knocks, so lots of tables. You just need to mod file, the ext file is not need unless you plan to run a frp game.

Dakadin
June 23rd, 2020, 19:03
I updated the first post with a link to the Rolemaster Classic - Campaign Preferences (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/483950593/Rolemaster+Classic+-+Campaign+Preferences) page on the FG wiki that Siltoneous created.

Dakadin
July 27th, 2020, 23:49
I updated the first post with a link to the new Rolemaster Classic - Character Creation/Character Sheet (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/483885063/Rolemaster+Classic+-+Character+Creation). You can thank Siltoneous for this one also. ;)

Sulimo
September 10th, 2021, 01:53
FYI, it appears that the links to the Wiki in the first post are no longer valid (I think Smiteworks did something with the Wiki a while back that nerfed a bunch of links not just these).

Here are the two documents:

Rolemaster Classic - Character Creation (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996643432/Rolemaster+Classic+-+Character+Creation)
Rolemaster Classic - Campaign Options (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996643421/Rolemaster+Classic+-+Campaign+Options)

Dakadin
September 10th, 2021, 02:15
Thanks Sulimo! I updated the first post with the new URLs.

Randalthor66
February 12th, 2022, 13:45
How does a GM move skills from Secondary to Primary, and vice-versa? And change the skill cost?
Is this the best thread for these question?

Sulimo
February 12th, 2022, 17:49
How does a GM move skills from Secondary to Primary, and vice-versa? And change the skill cost?

Short answer is you cannot change Skills from Primary to Secondary, they are hard coded.

If you need to move DPs between Pri and Sec, you can do that, but you will need to keep track of the math.

Is this the best thread for these question?

I am not sure there is a right answer, but generally, it is recommended to start a new thread unless your issue is the same as what the thread is covering.

Dakadin
February 12th, 2022, 20:25
Yeah I still need to change the way the skills are done because it was first developed to be hard coded to a location in the Character Law module. This became an issue when skills could be created within the interface because it won't put the skills where the primary skills are located. I need to change it so it is just a field on each skill so they can easily be changed.

QuirkyBirky
February 14th, 2022, 16:07
That would be a big help. I know you're supposed to be able to define a primary skill somehow or other (tweaking the reference to reference.skilllist.primaryskills.list) but I've never managed to get it working. I resorted to amending the Character Law mod with my new primaries, which works fine until an update overwrites it (hence I end up in a scramble to find a backup copy of the modified mod). :(

Dakadin
February 14th, 2022, 18:14
You can do it using another module but the primary skills need to be located at this location in the module:

reference.skilllist.primaryskills.list

If they aren't then the ruleset won't find them.

QuirkyBirky
February 16th, 2022, 13:03
You can do it using another module but the primary skills need to be located at this location in the module:

reference.skilllist.primaryskills.list

If they aren't then the ruleset won't find them.

I think I had it working at one point, but it all went pear shaped when I tried to do all the Spacemaster ones (and sort out the relevant profession costs). I won't lose any sleep over it though - what I've currently got is working for me.

micael
October 18th, 2022, 16:20
Yeah I still need to change the way the skills are done because it was first developed to be hard coded to a location in the Character Law module. This became an issue when skills could be created within the interface because it won't put the skills where the primary skills are located. I need to change it so it is just a field on each skill so they can easily be changed.

I have a question regarding skill resolving in the ruleset: Are you using any static resolving tables (FRPG or other)- I canīt find any?
Thanks
Micael

micael
October 18th, 2022, 16:28
Siltoneous has been doing a great job helping me with documentation. He's been doing the bulk of the work with me just answering questions. The Character Creation/Character Sheet and Campaign Options are now available on the wiki. The can also be accessed within the ruleset. Here are the links to the wiki:

Rolemaster Classic - Character Creation/Character Sheet (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996643432/Rolemaster+Classic+-+Character+Creation)

Thanks for your wonderfull FGU Ruleset- i Have a question regarding breakage of weapons- how are they resolved in your ruleset? I see the numbers are in but never saw a breakage result or strengh roll done? Thanks
Micael

Sulimo
October 18th, 2022, 16:32
I believe all of the static skills automatically pull up the Alternative Static Action table when rolled.
When a PC rolls the static action skill, it will open the table resolver with this table and highlight the result.

https://i.imgur.com/S63g8Zf.png

Sulimo
October 18th, 2022, 16:33
I have a question regarding skill resolving in the ruleset: Are you using any static resolving tables (FRPG or other)- I canīt find any?
Thanks
Micael

Weapon breakage is handled manually, just roll D100 and if the result indicates breakage, then the weapon is broken.
Criticals that have a result of breakage are handled the same way.

Dakadin
October 18th, 2022, 16:36
Thanks
Micael

You can find the Alternative Static Action Table in the Other Tables section of RM Tables. There is also an option to turn on in the Optional Rules (GM) section called "ChL #24: An Alternative Static Maneuver Table" which if set to On will automatically use the appropriate column of the table when a SM skill is rolled.

micael
October 18th, 2022, 16:42
Weapon breakage is handled manually, just roll D100 and if the result indicates breakage, then the weapon is broken.
Criticals that have a result of breakage are handled the same way.

What a pity- I searched especially for a system where these pesty rolls are automatic- any chance they will be in future? If not nobody will use the system because so many extra rolls and looking after numbers are needed?
Thanks
Micael

QuirkyBirky
October 18th, 2022, 16:49
What a pity- I searched especially for a system where these pesty rolls are automatic- any chance they will be in future? If not nobody will use the system because so many extra rolls and looking after numbers are needed?
Thanks
Micael

We've never used the weapon breakage rules, and we started playing around the mid/late 1980's. Each to their own though.

Dakadin
October 18th, 2022, 16:58
Thanks
Micael

It is on my list of things to do but not a high priority.

Sulimo
October 18th, 2022, 16:58
Thanks
Micael

Like QuirkyBirky, I've never used the breakage rules, unless the situation calls for it, like using a sword to lever something open. We do use it for recovery of Arrows (which I let the players roll so they have some control over it), but other than that, I let criticals dictate the breakage.

Sulimo
October 18th, 2022, 17:02
You can find the Alternative Static Action Table in the Other Tables section of RM Tables. There is also an option to turn on in the Optional Rules (GM) section called "ChL #24: An Alternative Static Maneuver Table" which if set to On will automatically use the appropriate column of the table when a SM skill is rolled.

You are right of course, I turned it on back when you first made the change and then forgot about it.

Dakadin
October 18th, 2022, 17:07
You are right of course, I turned it on back when you first made the change and then forgot about it.

No worries. I do that quite a bit and need to load up FG to make sure I am remembering it right. :)

QuirkyBirky
October 18th, 2022, 17:26
Table 08-10 for weapon breakage is already in FG, so it's easy enough to drag to a hot key for easy access - that should speed things up. I imagine trying to automate it would be tricky as it would need to determine which weapon the NPC is using. Also trying to determine if you've struck something on a critical would be an issue. Sounds like a lot of work for little gain in my opinion.

micael
October 18th, 2022, 17:33
Table 08-10 for weapon breakage is already in FG, so it's easy enough to drag to a hot key for easy access - that should speed things up. I imagine trying to automate it would be tricky as it would need to determine which weapon the NPC is using. Also trying to determine if you've struck something on a critical would be an issue. Sounds like a lot of work for little gain in my opinion.

The critical is not the problem, its seldom enough- in fact I also never used the breakage rules in the 80ībut not because I donīt like them- it is much to time consuming adding two more rolls and looking to tables for many rolls, where there is mostly no consequence except if you failed- should be easy to automate, because every weapon used already has the numbers in- but for DMs not to easy to remember which weapon the players used has which numbers. I bet a lot of would use it, if automatic in.

QuirkyBirky
October 18th, 2022, 18:24
The critical is not the problem, its seldom enough- in fact I also never used the breakage rules in the 80ībut not because I donīt like them- it is much to time consuming adding two more rolls and looking to tables for many rolls, where there is mostly no consequence except if you failed- should be easy to automate, because every weapon used already has the numbers in- but for DMs not to easy to remember which weapon the players used has which numbers. I bet a lot of would use it, if automatic in.

We never bothered with encumbrance in any system we played until we played on FG, so you may be right that people would use it. However, the lack of automated weapon breakage isn't a significant issue for most, I'd imagine. FG automation handles so much that a bit of manual input shouldn't be a problem. As far as strength and breakage values go, it's easy enough to import these into FG as an image for quick reference.

Ardem
October 19th, 2022, 04:08
Micael <sigh>

micael
October 22nd, 2022, 13:55
Micael <sigh>

Regarding Exhaustion Points in FGU/FRPG:
The tracking is turned on (options) off course, but the questions are regarding; exhaustion: The FRPG rule 40+3xcon is not implemented?
And how is exhaustion in FGU reduced and for what- I attacked a few times from the combat tracker and no Exh.p. were reduced- skills normally cost also Exh.p (school of hard knocks have a point cost for every skill) and they are not shown in FGU? Or is only movement exhp tracked?
Thanks
Micael

Dakadin
October 23rd, 2022, 01:52
Hi Micael,

If you are referring to and using the RMFRP extension, then you will want to post in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58404-Rolemaster-FRP-Extension-2-1. That way the extension author, Ardem, can see it.

Dakadin