PDA

View Full Version : The Fallen Throne reboot: Looking for "serious" players.

jasonthelamb
February 18th, 2013, 16:58
https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/Naomesa/FallenThronePreludepng_zps33d5a8bf.png
WHO: Looking for players who can play/immerse a realistic character.
WHAT: The Fallen Throne is a homebrew world that uses the Pathfinder system. The game starts on the small continent of Aldiron, and works into the rest of the world.
WHERE: My server (Full ed., players need at least lite.) GAMECALENDAR (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=993)
WHEN: Thursday nights from 6PM EST - 10PM EST.
Map of Tona (https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/Naomesa/TheWorldofTona_zpsbd8167eb.jpg)
Map of Aldiron (Going to be re-made) (https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/Naomesa/map1png-1.png)
The Fallen Throne is looking for two-three more players who can bring characters that fit the setting and can take the game semi-seriously, meaning that they can joke and such, but do not become a distraction both IC and OOC. I would like a team that can work together well, and while I understand that it takes time in-character to do that, I would hope most people can at least act civilized with each other.

This is a TEXT ONLY game, I feel as though text immerses the playerbase much more than voice, it also leaves a footprint. To track through (and post for people who miss a game.)

I run a two-strike rule, two absences without an IM, PM, Email, etc. tells me that you are not interested in the game, and will be dropped (I don't want to be a hardass, but it's not fair to wait 15-20 minutes for someone who won't show up.)

CURRENT PARTY
We have 5 people right now who have expressed interest in playing, if you are interested please PM me or post here.

The part isn't 100%, things will be changed, but I am aiming for THURSDAY FEB. 28th to begin.

jasonthelamb
February 20th, 2013, 04:54
Just some notes on the game.

Players start at level 2 with 1000 Gold to buy equipment, and one magical item worth 3000 gold maximum.

We currently have 3 players, and I would like to add one or two more before Thursday, so we can get some prelude-work rolling out. It looks like game time will actually be from 6PM-10PM.

Options for character creation: roll 4d6 drop lowest or 35 point buy, no stat below 9.

Halma
February 21st, 2013, 19:54
I would love to join you on Thursdays. I have been playing D&D since the late 80's and would love to get into a good pathfinder game.

Halma
February 21st, 2013, 19:55
oops double post sorry.

Halma
February 22nd, 2013, 03:33
Picture of Sarus

Mad Nomad
February 24th, 2013, 00:48
I'm also interested. I will PM you.

damned
February 24th, 2013, 00:59
Jason - possible suggestion - put TEXT/CHAT only in your Subject as there are a few text only players who mainly play other rulesets who might be interested.

jasonthelamb
February 24th, 2013, 01:18
Thank you damned, threw that in there.

Halma
March 1st, 2013, 00:46
Just getting started.. then Fantasy grounds/Obsidian portal got cancelled, and no communication from the DM.... What happened?

Starcrawler
March 1st, 2013, 00:46
I think DM rage quit on us.

Halma
March 1st, 2013, 00:48
for saying that we all agree that we like a mix of combat and RP? WTF!!!?

Mad Nomad
March 1st, 2013, 00:49
Yup it seems that way. The dude clearly doesn't have his stuff together anyway.
And if you are so adamant on wanting a game liek that you should put it in the description . Very little combat. And Low MAgic world.

Starcrawler
March 1st, 2013, 00:50
I agree, I mean we all said that we'd be willing to see how it goes, and if the RP is fun which I think it would have been, then perhaps we could have gone by with little combat.

Mad Nomad
March 1st, 2013, 00:52
Honestly at this point I am sure it would not be good. Bewary anyone who signs up for his campign in future.
I tell you what guys, screw this guy. I will start a campaign shortly for thursday nights. It will be what we all are interested in. Mix of combat, but good RP and story as well. Send me a PM if you are interested

Halma
March 1st, 2013, 00:55
Honestly at this point I am sure it would not be good. Bewary anyone who signs up for his campign in future.
I tell you what guys, screw this guy. I will start a campaign shortly for thursday nights. It will be what we all are interested in. Mix of combat, but good RP and story as well. Send me a PM if you are interested
already sent.. :)

Starcrawler
March 1st, 2013, 00:57
Same here :)

damned
March 1st, 2013, 05:42
hi guys, sometimes things dont work out - its best if communication is better and hopefully that might come. there is often a huge amount of work to be put in by gm/dm and they often have a style of game they are looking for.
dont let it get you down and dont start flaming :)
hopefully dereks can pull something together and you can keep moving forward.

Mad Nomad
March 1st, 2013, 05:48
Agreed, communication is key. I completely support a DM gettign players for whatever game he wants, but there was nothign in his description or info that suggested a mix of combat and roleplaying was out of the question.
If a DM is going to cancel a game on a whim and waste our time that we spent creating characters and such, he should have been clear about exactly what he wanted before he started this. Honestly, his reation here was completely immature, and I really don't think there is a real excuse for this.

JohnD
March 1st, 2013, 15:58
DMs often put in a huge amount of work getting a game/campaign together.

It really sucks when you've put in hours and hours of your own "spare" time (does anyone really have spare time these days?) and you get a vibe that things just aren't going to work out - for whatever reason.

Hopefully you find out before a lot of time has been burned... you guys have characters created - you can probably use those in the next game if you are going to try and stick together in a group with one of you taking on the mantle of DM... but realize that the time you spent making your PCs likely is far less than the DM has spent making the environment.

Not a criticism of your criticism (just droping is a less than optimal way to handle the situation); just stating a fact.

Some people can DM and "wing it"... FG makes this a little harder because you need a bucket full of miscellaneous maps to pull out of your posterior at the necessary time, and the acumen to be able to adjust on the fly. After 30+ years of DMing... I can do that; but not everyone can.

All that really has happened here is that you guys and the DM realized the dynamic wasn't going to work the way he wanted. Its his game... if he realizes he isn't going to enjoy it (that's important too), well in the larger picture there's not really any harm/foul here. At least you didn't put weeks of playing time into something that was going to end part way through the story.

Communication is big... keeping these lines open after you establish them is paramount.

So... definately do what you're already planning - pick up the pieces and carry on gaming!

Andrepartthree
March 1st, 2013, 17:18
hi guys, sometimes things dont work out - its best if communication is better and hopefully that might come. there is often a huge amount of work to be put in by gm/dm and they often have a style of game they are looking for.
dont let it get you down and dont start flaming :)
hopefully dereks can pull something together and you can keep moving forward.

I have to agree with both damned and JohnD ... while I can understand being annoyed at the GM for vanishing I'm not sure saying " screw this guy " on a public forum might be the best way to express that frustration.. I think that's what damned means by the flaming... and JohnD has a point GM's put a LOT of work into their campaigns (been there myself) ... not sure if you expressed some sort of preference for how the game should go that the GM took as criticism and then he cancelled the game ? ... if that was the case ... personally I'm loathe to toss ANYTHING that could even be implied as criticism at a GM given all the work they do , if the game isn't up to my standards I'd much rather drop out than start demanding he change X, Y or Z .... I might express a preference but I'm very careful how I word it normally starting out with what I enjoy about the campaign before stating anything I don't enjoy ... perhaps the GM felt you weren't role playing enough and were concentrating too much on combat? Or perhaps you killed and/or attacked some NPC he was hoping you'd interact with instead? If a GM feels he has a group of players who are into the "hack and slash I'm not going to interact with anything RP wise" I can see how the GM would pull the plug...it looks like from your "shattered heavens" thread you've got going that you've chosen to focus on the role playing aspect too not only combat - but was this something you arrived at after the GM (perhaps) felt you weren't RP'ing enough ?.... mind you this is all conjecture on my part I wasn't there so have no idea what happened I could be totally off base on all of this ... as far as him shutting down the game without telling you why if that's what happened - well that's perhaps not the best way to handle it.. but still, I'm not sure "screw this guy" put out on a public forum for all to see is the best way to handle it either...

SubtleGraces
March 1st, 2013, 17:19
While everything you'd said has a great ring of truth to it... (I don't think you'll find anyone here *too* mad about losing the whole game)

Still hardly polite to remove yourself from the game (Already in session) without a word, delete anything referencing the campaign and disappear completely. Because, what, you're too embarrassed to say this won't work out? Childish.

Not even a goodbye, thanks for clearing your Thursday night.

That's what we're upset about, and it's definitely the kind of thing other prospective players should be aware of.

Mad Nomad
March 1st, 2013, 17:51
Yes, what Subtle said. If you guys weren't there you are just gonna have to take our word on this.

I completely hear where you guys are coming from and I have utmost respect for DMs.
Trust us, we were very polite we offered no critcism and the game had not even started.
Like I mentioned before, DM should be free to have whatever game he wants and I have no qualms with them cancelling a game if it isn't fun for them. But this was just childish.

And if you have are goign to rage quit if people tell you they don't normally prefer a combatless game, then it might be worth posting that in game description.

Just a lesson to all of us I guess, as aGM be clear about what style your game will be and as a player make sure you will fit into that style before joining.

JohnD
March 1st, 2013, 22:32
Just a lesson to all of us I guess, as aGM be clear about what style your game will be and as a player make sure you will fit into that style before joining.
Yeah - this is some good general advice for everyone. It isn't going to be perfect, but having that discussion up front can solve a lot of dissatisfaction.

As I said - all the best getting your own game going! :)

If only I had one more night for gaming... gotta draw the line at 3 every 2 weeks though. :cry:

Andrepartthree
March 1st, 2013, 23:09
If that's how it went down an apology on my part is in order .... sorry....:(