John_Geeshu
February 18th, 2013, 01:59
Update: Recruitment closed.

John_Geeshu
February 28th, 2013, 14:38
Bump for one player.

John_Geeshu
March 1st, 2013, 17:16
Competition for players is as fierce as ever, so to fill our opening here's a little more about our game. We want you to join the adventure.

If homebrew rulesets tend to put you off you should know the following -- the system is detailed, quirky, and fun. I'm told it shares a je ne sais quoi with GURPS but stands alone. Characters are built from skills. Skills and skills bonuses are purchased using a point-buy system. There are no classes and no races -- no elves, dwarves, halflings, etc. -- so there are also no traditional class-based restrictions. The line between archetypes is blurred. A character's dress and gear does not tell you what they are capable of.

Can you play a spell-slinger geared-up with armor, sword, and shield? -- yes you can! What about a rogue-type who can stand at the front of the melee line? -- no problem, easy as pie. Maybe you would like to play a less traditional and more subtle character refined for diplomacy and espionage? -- you can do that. Perhaps you find yourself wanting a set of skills utterly unique to your character? -- easily said, easily done. Why play a character with a customized background and personality but a cookie-cutter skill-set? Customize your character's skill set to match his personality. What I'm saying is, you can build the character you want to play from the ground up, but you have to join our campaign to do it.

We are a mature and dependable group. We play every other week with occasional exceptions. Players turn up and are on time. We are relaxed enough to laugh and have a good time and to not take the game too seriously, but we also get a solid four-hours of role playing in every session.

Combat is an important issue for many gamers -- too much or too little can turn players off. With the combat system I have sought to emulate elements of reality, and to make combat scenes interesting, brutal, and decisive. One-shot kills are not uncommon. It is not unusual for full sessions to pass without any combat, and more often than not it is up to the players when to crack skulls. Because combat is so dangerous, the party generally decides when and where it puts its lives on the line.

To conclude, you should join us if you like sword-and-sorcery fantasy in a gritty, semi-realistic medieval setting, where the players are King.

Cheers.

The campaign: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=797
The ruleset: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/83733879/Medieval%202e.pdf
My e-mail: [email protected]

Andrepartthree
March 1st, 2013, 22:47
Competition for players is as fierce as ever, so to fill our opening here's a little more about our game. We want you to join the adventure.

If homebrew rulesets tend to put you off you should know the following -- the system is detailed, quirky, and fun. I'm told it shares a je ne sais quoi with GURPS but stands alone. Characters are built from skills. Skills and skills bonuses are purchased using a point-buy system. There are no classes and no races -- no elves, dwarves, halflings, etc. -- so there are also no traditional class-based restrictions. The line between archetypes is blurred. A character's dress and gear does not tell you what they are capable of.

Can you play a spell-slinger geared-up with armor, sword, and shield? -- yes you can! What about a rogue-type who can stand at the front of the melee line? -- no problem, easy as pie. Maybe you would like to play a less traditional and more subtle character refined for diplomacy and espionage? -- you can do that. Perhaps you find yourself wanting a set of skills utterly unique to your character? -- easily said, easily done. Why play a character with a customized background and personality but a cookie-cutter skill-set? Customize your character's skill set to match his personality. What I'm saying is, you can build the character you want to play from the ground up, but you have to join our campaign to do it.

We are a mature and dependable group. We play every other week with occasional exceptions. Players turn up and are on time. We are relaxed enough to laugh and have a good time and to not take the game too seriously, but we also get a solid four-hours of role playing in every session.

Combat is an important issue for many gamers -- too much or too little can turn players off. With the combat system I have sought to emulate elements of reality, and to make combat scenes interesting, brutal, and decisive. One-shot kills are not uncommon. It is not unusual for full sessions to pass without any combat, and more often than not it is up to the players when to crack skulls. Because combat is so dangerous, the party generally decides when and where it puts its lives on the line.

To conclude, you should join us if you like sword-and-sorcery fantasy in a gritty, semi-realistic medieval setting, where the players are King.

Cheers.

Have to commend you that is an awesomely written recruitment post. :) .....only have time for one fg game at a time or i would apply ... just wondering though .... you game around 8am in the morning sundays ? Wanted to point it out in case of a typo scaring away potential recruits but for all i know that might just happen to be the time that works best for your current group ... if so nothing wrong with that! :)

Andrepartthree
March 1st, 2013, 22:48

Cheers.

Have to commend you that is an awesomely written recruitment post. :) .....only have time for one fg game at a time or i would apply ... just wondering though .... you game around 8am in the morning sundays ? Wanted to point it out in case of a typo scaring away potential recruits but for all i know that might just happen to be the time that works best for your current group ... if so nothing wrong with that! :)

John_Geeshu
March 1st, 2013, 22:50
The time is correct.

Andrepartthree
March 1st, 2013, 23:08
Crap my bad sorry dude thought it was a typo :(

John_Geeshu
March 3rd, 2013, 19:35
My summary of our most recent session:

Having reached Festoon's Crossing, the party fulfills its promise to deliver a parcel to an apothecary in town. Manse and Ralen successfully locate Wertzel Poorman's shop and make the exchange, unwittingly trading with a criminal gang that has been attempting to get its hands on Wertzel's proprietary formula. Arriving first, the thugs subdued Wertzel and then pretended to man his store while waiting for the couriers. Not all is well that ends well. On the way out of town the party pays a visit to the witch Veerlina, who lives in a cabin in the woods nearby. There, Neldiv agrees to take on the aging witch's apprentice in exchange for some of her knowledge. Meanwhile, Ralen seeks out a family in town hoping to apprentice their young boy, and takes on his charge promising to teach a trade by which the boy can make a living. Its business now concluded, the party heads to the war camp and receives their new orders in the war effort -- they are to push on east with some urgency and gather actionable intelligence on The Saurian's massing armies. The first stop is Plucks Gutter, a mining town in the rugged eastern foothills. There the party learns little of use, and so decides to climb into the pass above and see what news there is from villages further east. The first discovery is a littering of pillaged corpses, possibly soldiers, clearly ambushed on the road. They follow the trail left by survivors to a small hamlet of trappers squatting on the dusty banks of a stream, but there the trail goes cold...

John_Geeshu
March 12th, 2013, 01:58
My summary of our March 10th session. Next game is 24th or 31st. Plenty of time to put together a character:

In the pass above Plucks Gutter, the party encounters a woman dancing with death as she cuts down the five brigands foolish enough to accost her. After introductions are completed, the girl, Alyia, explains she is bound for a town a few hours away. The party accepts a temporary alliance and travels with Alyia to Tinsdale, which they soon discover is laying under a cloud. The streets are queerly empty, and the Watch members surly and suspicious. In a square on the north end of town, stonemasons are building a monolith for some unknown purpose. Alyia and Ralen learn that Tinsdale has fallen to The Saurian's forces. The leadership has been murdered or imprisoned, and the populace paralyzed by fear as armed mercenaries patrol the streets by day, and terrifying, otherworldly beasts hunt the streets after dark. Meeting with the resistance, Ralen and Alyia strike a bargain -- slay one of the beasts as proof of their competence, and the resistance will join them in a daring assault to retake the town.