PDA

View Full Version : Discouraged early on!

Eric Smith
February 17th, 2013, 18:23
I just bought the FGII and RMC ruleset to try to simplify playing my favorite table top RPG game and figuring this thing out is just as dang hard as figuring out the original "Rule-Master" game.

WTF. As far as I can tell, theres no comprehensive walkthrough instruction manual for this program that isnt related to D&D. Im kinda pissed.

I'm typing in my Character stats from paper character record sheets and it wont even populate the Bonus section, thats one of the very first things involved in going from Paper to Electronic and I've already hit a snag. I wouldnt have bought this Software if I knew it was still in development and user unfriendly.

Not very promising...

Steamed,

Ericthered

tdewitt274
February 17th, 2013, 18:43
I'll admit, I know nothing of this game let alone the ruleset, but have you tried this extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18058)?

Not sure if that will help, but it is worth a try.

Emrak
February 17th, 2013, 18:49
Not familiar with RMC myself, but have you checked out the 3 stickied forum posts at the top of this forum? They all seem to give tips IRT this ruleset.

There may just be something obvious (once you know it, it's obvious) that you're not doing. I know stuff like that has tripped me up in the past in other rulesets.

JohnD
February 17th, 2013, 21:29
Looks like you missed this; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16579 (it worked for me).

Dakadin
February 17th, 2013, 21:45
I'm typing in my Character stats from paper character record sheets and it wont even populate the Bonus section, thats one of the very first things involved in going from Paper to Electronic and I've already hit a snag. I wouldnt have bought this Software if I knew it was still in development and user unfriendly.

Are you saying it isn't filling in the stat bonuses for you or are you seeing a different issue?

What version of the ruleset does the chat window say you are using when you start up the ruleset?

Manage characters still has a few issues that I haven't had a chance to resolve so you are better off starting a new campaign to enter characters.

I'm sorry you are finding it frustrating. The 3 stick threads that Emrak mentioned should help give you an overview but if not please let me know if you need more help figuring anything out.

Dakadin

Eric Smith
February 17th, 2013, 23:05
Yes, when I put in the Temp and Potential stats say for Strength it doesnt tabulate the approprian bonus in the bonus column. I can adjust Race or Spec but I'm under the assumption that lets say you got a 101 strength it'll put a +35 over in the bonus section but it doesnt. neither will it let me add it.

Eric Smith
February 17th, 2013, 23:07
Thanks Bro! I did miss that! Will check it out.

Dakadin
February 17th, 2013, 23:24
I just tested it and it is working for me so I would like to find out why it isn't working for you. I've attached a screenshot to show a 101 ST.

Are you using any extensions?

One other thing that might be helpful is if you are using races from Character Law, you can use the drop down arrow to select the race.

* You will need to click the modules button in the upper right corner.
* Enable the Character Law module by dragging open the small book to the right of it or double clicking the graphic.
* If the character sheet is already open close it and reopen it.
* Click the drop down list for race and it should allow you to select from the list.
* When a race is selected it will fill in the appropriate values for stat and RR bonuses.

Please post if you have any questions. There are a lot of great people on these forums willing to help out.

ddavison
February 18th, 2013, 04:00
Be sure to check out the FG RMC User Manual that comes with the install. If you click on the Programs | Fantasy Grounds II | Application Data Folder and then browse to "Docs", you'll see it.

Tiqon
February 18th, 2013, 06:00
Hi Eric.

Welcome to FG2, and also Rolemaster in FG2 ;). While you might be frustrated by the program (I agree there is a lot to learn at first), as you can see all ready if in trouble or have questions people here will rush to your aid, even the guy who works continuously on making the Rolemaster module better and better as time goes by ;).

There have all ready been some good advice. What I did ½ year ago, was to get myself familiar with FG2 in general. Yes that means trying all the stuff out from the https://www.fantasygrounds.com/library/ Even if its for 3.5 and 4.0. After that I saw some videos, again made for 3.5 and 4.0, you can find them here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/ look in the right side and DO scroll down and look at the archived ones too, they are very good. Remember these videos are made by USERS and not Smitework and the quality can vary but try to focus on the info ;).

Rolemaster... ah! You have been pointed to the docs, but Dakadin made some videos too and to be honest those were the ones that gave me the kick to actually buy the Rolemaster module. Found here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17264.

Else I'll just recommend you to open a FG2, start a new campaign and start a local client too on the same pc, and play around with the system.

Have fun! I hope your frustration level will fall and your skill in FG2 - Rolemaster will get a hefty +100 bonus in the following days! Ask and you will be answered ;).

S Ferguson
February 18th, 2013, 18:40
Try to refocus that discouragement into positive momentum. If you took the time to learn the Rolemaster system (omg - I've had to relearn it 3 times, no make that 4 :)), then take a little time to ease yourself into Rolemaster a la FG. It really isn't a difficult piece of software to learn to use. The payoff for the end results is well worth the time invested. And the forum is quite quick at responding to any questions.

Eric Smith
February 18th, 2013, 23:58
Wow, I'm really astonished by the amount of help that is coming my way. I will certainly persevere. I've been playing Merp/Rolemaster for 25 + years and I havent gave up yet. That link to the 3.5 user manual certainly gave me some hope. I couldnt find the user guide in Programs/Fantasy Grounds II/ App file so thats kind of a bummer, makes me wonder if theres a 4.0 manual.

I really appreciate all the help guys.

Thanks,

Eric the Red

dr_venture
February 19th, 2013, 00:28
The forums here are great, filled with genuinely nice and helpful folks. There has been very little real unpleasantness here, and the one time I can recall thinking that it had popped up, it turned out that I had misunderstood things and was one of the ones making things bad.

Definitely hang in there. FG is great, but there are definitely things that are not very intuitive without some help. In some cases, rulesets have functionalities that have no visual indication they even exist (a real problem, IMHO), but once you know it, it's no big deal.

Try to get into a short demo session with a Rolemaster GM and have them give you a quick run through - somebody early on did that with me for GURPS (which I don't even play) and it made a *big* difference. Also, as I believe somebody mentioned above, be sure to open a second instance of FG (just open the app a 2nd time) and connect to the first as a player - then you can see the whole gaming process from both the GM and player perspective. Very helpful!

Dakadin
February 19th, 2013, 02:13
Wow, I'm really astonished by the amount of help that is coming my way. I will certainly persevere. I've been playing Merp/Rolemaster for 25 + years and I havent gave up yet. That link to the 3.5 user manual certainly gave me some hope. I couldnt find the user guide in Programs/Fantasy Grounds II/ App file so thats kind of a bummer, makes me wonder if theres a 4.0 manual.

Thanks,

Eric the Red

Good catch on the 1.4 manual. I just went to look for the installed version and couldn't find it. I could only find the 1.3 manual. I setup a new sticky thread with it that you can find here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=143464#post143464

damned
February 19th, 2013, 02:41
doco is probably not a strong point of the application....

JohnD
February 19th, 2013, 03:36

Thanks,

Eric the Red
I have a game this Wednesday evening in GMT-6 assuming nothing happens to derail it. You're more than welcome to connect and observe (that's how I started to learn), or even play a character (if a regular doesn't show).

PM me if you're interested.

bennis1980
February 21st, 2013, 15:59
I hope you figure it out. I can give you a demo of how to get set up if you like. I too was lost this time last year and it was through help from friendly forum members (thanks dakadin and lachancery) that I got up and running.

... and Rolemaster is great on FG, no more looking up tables, they are looked up for you when you have it set up right. Crit effects dragged straight t the combat tracker: you can't give up hope.

PM if you want that demo

bennis1980
February 21st, 2013, 15:59
I hope you figure it out. I can give you a demo of how to get set up if you like. I too was lost this time last year and it was through help from friendly forum members (thanks dakadin and lachancery) that I got up and running.

... and Rolemaster is great on FG, no more looking up tables, they are looked up for you when you have it set up right. Crit effects dragged straight t the combat tracker: you can't give up hope.

PM if you want that demo

EDIT: oops, must have hit the submit button twice :)

S Ferguson
February 21st, 2013, 16:41
Actually, that's a good way to be introduced to the rules. Be it though observation, or participation (or seeing a session from both sides by logging into yourself), you're sure to pick up the raw power that make this the best invention since sliced bread (tm).:)

bennis1980
February 21st, 2013, 16:44
Oh I remember the old days, when all we had was sliced bread. They were good times!

S Ferguson
February 21st, 2013, 16:47
Yes. Sadly those days have come and gone....