PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Killaki
February 16th, 2013, 22:45
Hello all,
I'm looking to join in on the fum of a game. I have played many paper & pen games using different media before but nothing like FG2. I'm willing to learn any system and I can prob get my hands on the core items if need be. I'm eastern time zone and can play in the evenings.

Thanks

dr_venture
February 18th, 2013, 03:33
Just posted a listing for an opening I have in my old school Greyhawk game - take a look and see what you think.

Andrepartthree
February 18th, 2013, 14:40
I'm sure Dr. Venture is running an awesome game :) I'd totally apply to join up for one of his campaigns myself if I was just free and available during the times his campaigns are on (busy-ness with munchkins is kicking my spare time in the butt :( ) but if it doesn't work out for some reason, say the time zone doesn't match up to your availability or what not for example ... I'd also recommend looking over the same threads here where GM's say they're looking for players - I've found what's most effective is to write up a short but interesting background/personality write up for the character (you mentioned you're a good role player so I'm guessing that sort of thing will come easy to you ;) ) which is something I've found to be catnip for GM's .. someone correct me if I'm wrong but I've noticed like 9 out of 10 GM's love players who will put that added effort into role playing out their character's personality :P ..

One other strange question - how fast of a typist are you? The reason I ask is I notice there's two types of FG games .. for the slower typists there are the games where the communication takes place mainly via voice chat/skype.. but there are other FG games where the voice chat thing is disliked (people feel it takes away from the atmosphere of the game basically) and EVERYTHING.. what you do in or out of character .. is typed .. slow typists tend to be miserable in these sorts of games .. other FG games will use a mixture, type what you want to do in character and use skype for occasional out of character questions (though I've seen that reversed too use skype for in character RP and type ooc stuff on FG ) ..

Welcome to FG btw :) ..

(yes yes I know it's a copy and paste of my reply to Mr. Great's thread I feel so cheap :P .. but it still falls under the " stuff I wish someone had told me when I was a newbie to FG " in my humble opinion ;) )

Emrak
February 18th, 2013, 16:57
Welcome aboard Killaki!

Besides searching in this forum, you may also wish to go to the Calendar: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?sort=lastactivity&sortdir=descending

And look for a good game that needs players. Dr_Venture's is currently the second listed.

dr_venture
February 18th, 2013, 22:40
I've found what's most effective is to write up a short but interesting background/personality write up for the character (you mentioned you're a good role player so I'm guessing that sort of thing will come easy to you ;) ) which is something I've found to be catnip for GM's .. someone correct me if I'm wrong but I've noticed like 9 out of 10 GM's love players who will put that added effort into role playing out their character's personality :P

Personally, the thing that would impress me most is that the person was interested enough to spend the time to write something up... whether or not it really fit into the game I'm running or not. Hands down, the number one problem I've had is with player reliability (well, that and Net connection reliability :( ). It's one thing to have a player decide your game isn't for them for some reason like playing style or game speed - that's life, it's frustrating but it happens - but it's another to put a lot of time into a player and them just leave with little or no notice or explanation after not really investing much time or energy themselves. Seeing that a player cared enough to write something up would at least tell me the person cared enough about the game to spend a little time on it... for which I'm always grateful.

One other strange question - how fast of a typist are you? The reason I ask is I notice there's two types of FG games .. for the slower typists there are the games where the communication takes place mainly via voice chat/skype.. but there are other FG games where the voice chat thing is disliked (people feel it takes away from the atmosphere of the game basically) and EVERYTHING.. what you do in or out of character .. is typed .. slow typists tend to be miserable in these sorts of games

That is a great point - you definitely should consider your comfort with typing when deciding on a game.

I am running my games in text only, and I can see why a lot of people find it too slow. I think it really depends on the style and focus of the game. It works really well for the old west game where so much of it is about vibe and roleplaying (we've had a few 4 hour sessions where no dice were rolled at all - just worked out that way). I think it's a little less successful with the Greyhawk game... but that's my fault, I need to work on the immersion more.