PDA

View Full Version : Application of "Any Neutral" Templates

S Ferguson
February 15th, 2013, 16:20
I *think* I know the answer to this but I could be wrong, so I'll ask. I can't locate anywhere in the core or PFS rules, in which it explains how to apply a template of "any Neutral." Does the "Neutral" component replace the "Lawful/Chaotic" axis or the "Good/Evil" moral outlook?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Malkavian_Andi
February 15th, 2013, 18:08
"any neutral" means any alignment that is at least partly neutral.
In other words, neutral good, neutral evil, lawful neutral, chaotic neutral, and neutral are the alignments you can choose when you have to choose "any neutral". Lawful good, chaotic good, lawful evil, and chaotic evil are those you can't choose.

S Ferguson
February 15th, 2013, 18:19
Yes, but do you make the creature LN, CN or N; or do make them NG, NE? True neutrals are the trivial case, so we'll ignore it (after all a NN creature doesn't pan well).

S Ferguson
February 15th, 2013, 18:22
I really mean to ask is it up to an arbitrary fiat on the GM's part? Or is there a "more rigorous" method of applying it.

Malkavian_Andi
February 15th, 2013, 18:43
What kind of template do want to add to what kind of creature anyway?
If I know exactly what we're talking about, I might be able to give an answer that is a little bit more helpful for you.

S Ferguson
February 15th, 2013, 19:15
The template could be "Subdued Skeleton" which would be equivalent to the Skeleton Template save the the substitution of "Any Neutral" instead of "Any Evil." It really isn't the issue with the application of a *particular* template.The question if I can state it more clearly is: which choice do you make *in general* if "Any Neutral" appears in the template block?

By way of illustration, a "LG" creature has a template placed on it with "Any Neutral" in the template stat block. does the creature become "NG" or "LN." That's the issue at hand.

Malkavian_Andi
February 15th, 2013, 19:24
I'd say, you as the GM would have to choose which of the two possible choices fits the creature's role in your campaign better.

For example, a lawful good celestial that gains this template would be neutral good if you want to keep its holy nature, and it would be lawful neutral if you want to keep its nature of having its place in a holy order.

Are there actually templates that shift a base creature's alignment to "any neutral"? Things like "any evil" or "any good" are easy, because you know you have to change it along the good/evil axis.

S Ferguson
February 15th, 2013, 19:26
Yes there are, sadly enough. The Book of Templates lists a few that are ambiguous like that particular example.

Trenloe
February 16th, 2013, 15:31
Its the GMs decision.

MOD: Moved from the Pathfinder Society thread to the 3.5E/Pathfinder thread as this is not Pathfinder Society specific.