PDA

View Full Version : Importing Hero Lab NPC's

Macgreine
February 14th, 2013, 14:03
Right now I am using exported stat blocks from HL and running them through the Creature parser, then saving them as modules. Its working fine but I was wondering if there might be a better way?

JohnD
February 14th, 2013, 15:11
Yeah I wish there was... would love to have the level of detail you get when exporting/importing PCs from HL.

Although, I may need to look at this Creature Parser... I have some high powered (well for my campaign at least) NPCs to create in the near future.

Trenloe
February 14th, 2013, 15:22
Right now I am using exported stat blocks from HL and running them through the Creature parser, then saving them as modules. Its working fine but I was wondering if there might be a better way?
Other than typing them in manually, this is the best way.

Are you having specific issues?

Trenloe
February 14th, 2013, 15:31
Yeah I wish there was... would love to have the level of detail you get when exporting/importing PCs from HL.

Although, I may need to look at this Creature Parser... I have some high powered (well for my campaign at least) NPCs to create in the near future.
What extra level of detail you're looking for in NPCs?

Macgreine
February 15th, 2013, 21:41
No issues. It would be nice to be able to just upload the por files to FG2 rather than the round about process of converting the pdf's to modules.

JohnD
February 16th, 2013, 03:15
What extra level of detail you're looking for in NPCs?
I guess "detail" is the wrong word for it.

I'd like to see a choice of NPC... one being the current format which could be used for the majority, but a second version which would more approximate an actual character sheet - useful for higher powered individuals.

The ideal in my mind of course would be the ability to export an NPC from HL and directly import into FG like you can do with PCs.

Trenloe
February 16th, 2013, 09:37
I'd like to see a choice of NPC... one being the current format which could be used for the majority, but a second version which would more approximate an actual character sheet - useful for higher powered individuals.
The NPC sheet in FG mirrors the NPC statblock used by Paizo. If you look at Paizo high level scenarios this is completely sufficient to accurately represent very high level NPCs with multiple class levels etc..

Plus, I find it extremely usable as a GM when running multiple NPCs, it has most of what you need on one page - a PC's abilities are spread across at least 3 pages if not more which is cumbersome for a GM to use.

The ideal in my mind of course would be the ability to export an NPC from HL and directly import into FG like you can do with PCs.
I'd suggest you try using the creature parser. This allows you to export an NPC from Hero Lab (as the standard statblock), run this statblock through the creature parser, and import that NPC into FG. Sounds exactly like what you've just mentioned, as this is what you effectively do with a PC; except the character converter is used in place of the creature parser...

Trenloe
February 16th, 2013, 09:43
No issues. It would be nice to be able to just upload the por files to FG2 rather than the round about process of converting the pdf's to modules.
M_W has made at least 2 posts (if not more) relating to an initiative between a number of RPG companies trying to get together and create a uniform standard for transfer of data between applications. It essentially went nowhere as none of the companies wanted to relinquish the control of their own data format - which is what agreeing on a standard would do.

So, at least at the moment, you will not be able to create a Hero Lab .por import into Fantasy Grounds that wouldn't have the likelihood of the .por format changing in a future release and hence breaking the import.

The best import process is always to use an agreed standard - hence using the Paizo NPC statblock standard for importing NPCs into Fantasy Grounds. This allows the same parser to be used for Hero Lab statblock outputs, published scenarios (not just Paizo), and other apps that adhere to the Paizo statblock standard.

Yes, it would be fantastic to take a .por file from Hero Lab and directly import that into Fantasy Grounds, but that is not a realistic long term proposition.

JohnD
February 16th, 2013, 16:32
The NPC sheet in FG mirrors the NPC statblock used by Paizo. If you look at Paizo high level scenarios this is completely sufficient to accurately represent very high level NPCs with multiple class levels etc..

Plus, I find it extremely usable as a GM when running multiple NPCs, it has most of what you need on one page - a PC's abilities are spread across at least 3 pages if not more which is cumbersome for a GM to use.

I'd suggest you try using the creature parser. This allows you to export an NPC from Hero Lab (as the standard statblock), run this statblock through the creature parser, and import that NPC into FG. Sounds exactly like what you've just mentioned, as this is what you effectively do with a PC; except the character converter is used in place of the creature parser...
Hmm... I guess when I get my usual bi-weekly spurt of development time on Sunday morning, I'll have to do some investigating of this Creature Parser. :)

Laucian
February 16th, 2013, 20:33
On a related note, I can take NPCs from Hero Lab, run them through the converter, and add them to Fantasy Grounds, but they show up as PCs. The problem is that this clogs up the "character select" box. Is there anyway to import/move them to the NPC tab?

Trenloe
February 16th, 2013, 20:54
On a related note, I can take NPCs from Hero Lab, run them through the converter, and add them to Fantasy Grounds, but they show up as PCs. The problem is that this clogs up the "character select" box. Is there anyway to import/move them to the NPC tab?
You can't move a PC to an NPC within Fantasy Grounds.

Use the creature parser to import a statblock exported from Hero Lab as an NPC: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15475

Trueshots
February 16th, 2013, 21:28

Mac, I do the creatures with the parser now.....its so easy. Like for PFS games there are sub-tiers 1-2 and 4-5 (which is 2x the work, but just takes a few secs). I import all the mob's no matter what tier at the same time and just call them something different. This is a simple copy/paste from the PDF, adding the XP on the 2nd line and maybe adjusting the name so I can recognize what Act the mob is for. But the whole process usually takes me less than 5-7 mins and I have all the mobs for the entire adventure. Very easy.

Laucian
February 16th, 2013, 21:47
You can't move a PC to an NPC within Fantasy Grounds.

Use the creature parser to import a statblock exported from Hero Lab as an NPC: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15475
Perfect, thank you!

Trueshots
February 16th, 2013, 21:58
Mac I just added a tutorial for you under my Video Tutorials (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18127), Look under GM Tools. Hope this helps.

JohnD
February 17th, 2013, 21:34
OK so I've used the Creature Parser.

Two hours to get four NPCs done, most of that time in HL.

I don't know if that's good or bad, but I'm working with level 8+ characters with a lot of skills/feats etc... so this is much better than trying to create and then enter everything by hand.

The CP gets the NPCs about 90% the way I want them, so it is a great time saver.