PDA

View Full Version : Anyone other DM's get attached to their NPC's?

Aegis
February 11th, 2013, 04:32
Just had a session where one of my favorite npc's, a druidess, dies. Has to happen for the storyline, as the pc's are the main characters...But I'll miss her!

How about it DM's, happen to you?

bennis1980
February 11th, 2013, 13:59
I have lots of NPCs I've grown attached to over the years. The only thing you can do if the situation arises is make it a dramatic exit. They can always turn up again in the prequel (or borrow a storyline from Dallas - it was all just a dream)

Blahness98
February 11th, 2013, 15:39
Most of my major NPCs are based on my old player characters so I know I can always play them again if I choose later on. Still hurts if they die, but I did have fun before hand.

JohnD
February 11th, 2013, 15:57
Interesting question... in a PnP gaming environment, not so much.

However, when I ran on-line games in Neverwinter Nights, I had a campaign that was ongoing for over eight years, encompassing over 112 different PCs (multiple concurrent groups). Successive players had their characters meet and interact with NPCs who were the former PCs of earlier players who had impacted the environment in meaningful ways.

PCs going to the Chapel of Pelor got to interact with Borlunn Silvergrin, a Dwarven Barbarian who had devoted his remaining years to the worship of Pelor to honour the memory of his brother Kvallagh, who had been a Cleric/Champion of that faith.

In a different city, Pcs interacted with Seker, a Gnome Cleric/Illusionist of Boccob who had retired and opened a magic shop.

Both instances were based on real PCs... there are other examples as well.

Not an answer to your specific question, but related.

Emrak
February 11th, 2013, 16:46
However, when I ran on-line games in Neverwinter Nights, I had a campaign that was ongoing for over eight years, encompassing over 112 different PCs (multiple concurrent groups). Successive players had their characters meet and interact with NPCs who were the former PCs of earlier players who had impacted the environment in meaningful ways.

Not to threadjack, but holy crap! Eight years??

I know nothing about NWN online (though I did play the single-player game and loved it). How do you play an RPG tabletop style using NWN? There's probably a youtube tutorial on it, I bet lol.

S Ferguson
February 16th, 2013, 17:32
Like it's been mentioned. The NPC's created with loving care, and built into characters in their own rights, I (and even the players!) occasionally sigh wishing G'nall was still around. But disposable "red shirts" in an adventure I *try* not to get attached to.;)