PDA

View Full Version : Change the theme in FG.

gamemasterbob
February 8th, 2013, 04:07
I searched the forums but I found no definitive advice on how to change the background graphic in FGII. The skin or theme. I use 4e rules set. I want to use a graphic that matches my campaign.

Thanks.
Bob

Tiqon
February 8th, 2013, 06:44
When you start your campaign in the launcher you choose which extension to use, some of them are Themes. There are 3 you can choose from for 4E I belive. If you want to make one your own, its a whole different mattter, you have to make your own extension... No small feat if Im correct. But proberbly a good way into making extensions ;).

Valarian
February 8th, 2013, 13:28
You don't necessarily need to make you own extension to use a custom image, but you will have to do some basic ruleset modifications.

Copy the 4e.pak file from the FG2 installation directory.
Change the extension on your copy to be .zip
Unzip the file in to a separate folder (e.g. custom4e)

Quick Check: The custom4e folder should contain a base.xml file. If it doesn't and there's a further folder, it's probably there and you need to copy that folder instead later on (treat further references to custom4e as that folder).

Go to the graphics/frames (or possibly just frames) folder.
Tailor/customise the desktop.png image file

The desktop image file is usually in three sections. A background image section (the desktop background image), a central "toolbar" section (used as background for the toolbar icons), and a decal overlay (used as semi-transparent image on the desktop background). Keep the sizes of these sections exactly the same as in the original file, otherwise you're going to get strange results. To change the size of the sections, you'd have to do further code modifications.

When done, copy the custom4e folder to the rulesets folder in your FG2 Application File directory (accessed via the Start menu).
Create a new campaign using the custom4e ruleset. You will be able to copy over the db.xml from an existing 4e campaign once the new campaign folder is created.

JohnD
February 8th, 2013, 14:44
You don't necessarily need to make you own extension to use a custom image, but you will have to do some basic ruleset modifications.

Copy the 4e.pak file from the FG2 installation directory.
Change the extension on your copy to be .zip
Unzip the file in to a separate folder (e.g. custom4e)

Quick Check: The custom4e folder should contain a base.xml file. If it doesn't and there's a further folder, it's probably there and you need to copy that folder instead later on (treat further references to custom4e as that folder).

Go to the graphics/frames (or possibly just frames) folder.
Tailor/customise the desktop.png image file

The desktop image file is usually in three sections. A background image section (the desktop background image), a central "toolbar" section (used as background for the toolbar icons), and a decal overlay (used as semi-transparent image on the desktop background). Keep the sizes of these sections exactly the same as in the original file, otherwise you're going to get strange results. To change the size of the sections, you'd have to do further code modifications.

When done, copy the custom4e folder to the rulesets folder in your FG2 Application File directory (accessed via the Start menu).
Create a new campaign using the custom4e ruleset. You will be able to copy over the db.xml from an existing 4e campaign once the new campaign folder is created.
Would this be the same for 3.5e/Pathfinder?

Valarian
February 8th, 2013, 15:13
Should be, I'm not familiar with either ruleset and the description is generic. If Pathfinder is catered for via an extension, then the extension itself may have a desktop image file and overwrite the custom one.

Doswelk
February 8th, 2013, 15:59
I seem to re-call (it's been a long time since I looked at the 4e and 3.5e rule-sets), that when you select them it lists some themes already (dungeon sticks in my mind)

Assuming they are still there (in the extensions folder) they will show you the correct format for a 4e theme.

Failing that ask me anything I have made a lot of themes (admittedly for Savage Worlds) but should not be too different!

Griogre
February 9th, 2013, 01:57
There are 4E themes so yes, the easiest way is to just open up the extension and change the desktop image to what you want like Valarian described - just do it in the extension instead of the ruleset.

malvok
February 9th, 2013, 12:08
Here is a very quick way to change the desktop background in FG. It should work with any ruleset and any 1920x1080 png image.

Unzip the attached file to your AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\extensions folder.

Change extensions\custom_desktop\graphics\frames\desktop. png to any 1920x1080 png image.

If you want a different size image then you'll need to do a little editing.

Trenloe
February 10th, 2013, 00:28
There are quite a number of threads related to changing the desktop image - the best search do is for desktop.png and then look through the results.

Archlyte
April 23rd, 2013, 22:35
Here is a very quick way to change the desktop background in FG. It should work with any ruleset and any 1920x1080 png image.

Unzip the attached file to your AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\extensions folder.

Change extensions\custom_desktop\graphics\frames\desktop. png to any 1920x1080 png image.

Hmm, I just get the black screen when I use this.

malvok
April 23rd, 2013, 23:02
Hmm, I just get the black screen when I use this.

You need to change extensions\custom_desktop\graphics\frames\desktop. png to any 1920x1080 png image.

Archlyte
April 24th, 2013, 00:49
You need to change extensions\custom_desktop\graphics\frames\desktop. png to any 1920x1080 png image.

Ok I see what I was doing wrong. I was trying to insert that image in the frames folder in the ruleset. Thank you very much!

Mask_of_winter
May 31st, 2014, 14:43
Sorry to necro an old thread but I have a couple questions. The desktopbackground.png file, is it necessary for the logo/slash center piece to be transparent? I'm using photoshop, what's the best way to achieve this and optimal transparency settings? Also, should that center piece keep the same proportions as well?

Moon Wizard
May 31st, 2014, 22:50
The decal is always drawn centered in the frame, and always to the pixel size defined in the framedef. It doesn't have to be transparent.

JPG

Zeus
June 3rd, 2014, 10:16
As moon says, the decal doesn't have to be transparent but it does support transparency. In your graphics editing tool your using to make your desktop.png just ensure the decal is on a transparent background. Save the file as either PNG/8 or PNG/24 and make sure to enable alpha transparency.

Ferrin
August 16th, 2015, 08:05

Worked perfectly! Thank You!