PDA

View Full Version : Installation Woes

dittotb
February 6th, 2013, 17:49
I am trying to install a full version of FG II on a Windows 7 Enterprise x64.
I have successfully installed on this platform before. If I use the full installer (2.6.3?) it installs just fine but when I update I get the error, at the end of the update, that it cannot start due to an incompatiblity due to Windows 64-bit. If I run the updater again it checks for updates and I still get this error.
I have tried running as a regular user and starting the install as the Admin but there is no difference on the outcome.
Next I tried running it from the web installer that I downloaded from the website. It installs and then comes up after a complete update with the same error as above.
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, I did go through support and they suggested that I post.

Tiqon
February 6th, 2013, 18:32
I can't see your error (say attachment pending approval).

Have you looked into some other posts here talking about installing? Like this one:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17154

This was xp though.. but since we can't see your error, yet, it's hard to help ;).

Trenloe
February 6th, 2013, 18:35
Attachment approved...

That is a very old installation of Fantasy Grounds you need to uninstall and then download the latest version from "Downloads" link at the top of this page.

Or, if that doesn't work, get the Web Installation file: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGWebInstall.exe and try that. Then run an update...

dittotb
February 6th, 2013, 19:26
I did download the latest if you read a little further. I just downloaded it today (Feb 06 2013).
The older one is the only one that works so far as long as I do not run an update.
Any other ideas.
Thanks again I do appreciate you taking your time to help.

Trenloe
February 6th, 2013, 19:37
I did download the latest if you read a little further. I just downloaded it today (Feb 06 2013).
The older one is the only one that works so far as long as I do not run an update.
Any other ideas.
Thanks again I do appreciate you taking your time to help.
OK, so exactly which error message are you getting now - because the screenshot you gave above shows error messages from 2 completely different versions - right? Which error message do you see after running the web installer?

Make sure you uninstall ALL versions of Fantasy Grounds before you start an installation.

dittotb
February 6th, 2013, 19:44
No I received that whether I used my older full install or the newer web install.
Yes, I did uninstall thoroughly the older install before trying the newer install.

Trenloe
February 6th, 2013, 19:55
No I received that whether I used my older full install or the newer web install.
Yes, I did uninstall thoroughly the older install before trying the newer install.
I'm completely confused - because there are 2 error messages there, one saying that there is an installation on C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds II and G:\Fantasy Grounds II

Do you see both of those error boxes whenever you run?

JohnD
February 6th, 2013, 20:33
Yeah - you have 2 different install destinations there.

dittotb
February 6th, 2013, 21:21
I have re-done the install to show you that the error messages come up even during the Web install version.
Thank you all very much. This shows how much of a great community we have here.

Trenloe
February 6th, 2013, 22:16
For some reason it seems to think that the Fantasy Grounds application is a 16-bit application, it's actually a 32-bit app and shouldn't have any issues.

Open Windows explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds II
Right-click on FantasyGrounds.exe and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility" and run through the Wizard selecting "Try Recommended settings".
If the above doesn't work, right-click on FantasyGrounds.exe, select Properties and the "Compatibility" tab. Make sure there is nothing selected in the list of options.

dittotb
February 7th, 2013, 02:06
I have tried the wizard and the defaults but to no avail. Next I tried Vista, and XP SP 2 and SP 3 but again no luck. I know that I have never seen this on the forums and this is now the second machine in a row that this has happened to. I am really stumped but please keep giving me these great suggestions. Maybe something will work.

ddavison
February 7th, 2013, 04:10
Hey Ditto,

Since you said that this is now happening on two separate systems and not just on the one, can you let us know if there is a certain set of software that is common among the two. Do you typically do anything other than a standard install when you set up a new system?

As we mentioned in the support email, we haven't seen any reports of this sort of behavior from anyone else at this time but I did seem similar looking error messages posted on a forum for Eve Online that pointed back to directX issues, I believe.

-Doug

dittotb
February 7th, 2013, 13:41
Here are the pieces of software that were common between the two machines.
Common Software
Windows 7 Enterprise x64 with SP 1
Standard Windows utilities
7Zip
WinRar
MS Office 2007
Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1
Microsoft Silverlight
VLC media player 2.01

JohnD
February 7th, 2013, 14:34
Maybe try with the Symantec disabled.

dittotb
February 7th, 2013, 15:09
I installed it with the Symantec off.
I tried it now with Symantec disabled but it still states that the program is not compatible with this version of Windows.
I also tried Compatiblity mode with the Symantec turned off but no luck.
Once again thanks for all of the suggestions. It is nice to see people take time to help someone else :)

Trenloe
February 7th, 2013, 16:24
Please make sure all old files are removed.

Do an uninstall of Fantasy Grounds, open Windows Explorer and delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds II.

Then do a reinstall and see what happens.

dittotb
February 7th, 2013, 18:09
I have done that several times.
The uninstall does not appear in the Programs and Features so I have had to manually uninstall it.
This is what I have done to uninstall it:
Go to C:\Program Files(x86) and delete the Fantasy Grounds folder (not to the Recycle Bin)
Go to Users\My name\App Data\Roaming and delete the Fantasy grounds folder.
Regedit and go to HKEY_USER_CURRENT\SOFTWARE and delete the Fantasy grounds key.
Reboot.
It has not made any difference.

damned
February 8th, 2013, 10:07
there is something really wrong in that your 64bit os is detecting this 32bit app as a 16bit one...
i havent found any reference to this in general - not just fg related....

dittotb
February 8th, 2013, 14:24
I am slightly inclined to agree with you but it is a fresh install of Windows. Everything else appears to be working well. There are no messages about problems in the Event Viewer.
The 16-bit warning does not come up while I am installing it comes up after the install and the updater has run. When it tries to restart FG that is when the error occurs.
I was wondering is it possible to download a full install that is current? I know that you are trying to get everyone to use the web install but it would be interesting to test if there were a full install.
The older full install works perfectly until I try to update to the most current version.

dittotb
February 12th, 2013, 15:37
Is there a way to manually download the updater to see if that works?
Also, is there a newer version of the full install? The only option I see to download now is the FGWebinstall.

Tiqon
February 12th, 2013, 16:15
It's really strange. I have just installed FG 2 via the webinstaller on two pcs, freshly installed 64 bit Windows 8. I did not encounter any problems.

Oberoten
February 13th, 2013, 14:00
One thing that DOES lead to problems is installing as an Admin.

- Obe

dittotb
February 15th, 2013, 21:09
Thanks for replying.
I have tried it both ways when installing (Admin and non-Admin) and have come up with the same result.