PDA

View Full Version : New

MrGreat
February 3rd, 2013, 18:27
im new to this site i have player license looking to join a forgotten realms game will be active and available just looking for some helping getting started just msg me if you wanna use and abuse me in ur game open to any class would prefer a monk or fighter/mage

JohnD
February 3rd, 2013, 20:30
Days available, times available and your time zone would be a big help to anyone looking to add a player.

Oh, and welcome.

MrGreat
February 3rd, 2013, 20:50
what is pathfinder and greyhawk i mean i love fantasy but been awhile since i plaed but i have a lite license

Malkavian_Andi
February 3rd, 2013, 21:28
Pathfinder is a new game (ok, not brand-new, but still quite new) based on D&D 3.5 rules. They added a lot of cool stuff, did some balancing, and created an entire world to play campaigns in.
Greyhawk is a D&D camaign setting, but I never played any Greyhawk campaigns, so someone who knows a bit more about it might want to tell you any specifics.

btw: When you say "awhile", do you mean something like "haven't played since AD&D", "haven't played since D&D 3.0", or "haven't played since D&D 3.5"?

MrGreat
February 3rd, 2013, 21:53
havent played since 3.0 and 2nd edition lol im 23 havent played since i was likw 12 but been really trying to get back into it but didnt really know how so googled it i mean i play alot of mmorpgs but havent played actually d&d in a decade but i got a lite license and wanna gettin bac into anything really based on d&d just wanna kill some **** lol

Malkavian_Andi
February 3rd, 2013, 22:07
So with D&D 3.0 you already know the basic ruleset used in today's d20 games. In Pathfinder, all they actually did was add a lot cool new abilities and character options and adjust how gaining skills works (as well as combining some skills; for example Search, Spot and Listen are all covered by the Perception skill.)

Before playing, you should take a look at some of the new class abilities. You can find the rulebooks online (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/), so you only have to buy those if you want to have a physical copy of the books (which often is quite useful).

MrGreat
February 3rd, 2013, 22:12
well the main problemim having is finding a dm and what not im not even sure how making a character works yet i mean its letting me put my stats at what i want doesnt seem right lol

Malkavian_Andi
February 3rd, 2013, 22:25
Fantasy Grounds doesn't have a built-in character building tool (by which I mean something that "knows" if you build your character correctly), so you can put in whatever you want. So you have to know how building a character works and then fill out the character sheet (in fact that's like building a character for a home game. The piece of paper you write your character on doesn't know anything about character creation, either ;) ). There are some tools like herolabs that can help with character creation, but since I don't use herolabs, I can't tell you much about it. (I always create my characters on a regular piece of paper, then create that character on Fantasy Grounds)

MrGreat
February 3rd, 2013, 22:45
that makes sense so what is to stop people from cheating then?

MrGreat
February 3rd, 2013, 22:59
well i really wanna roll a halfing paladin but have a good background for the halfing thing i will be able to make that?

Willot
February 3rd, 2013, 23:01
that makes sense so what is to stop people from cheating then?
Well, first off I guess they can cheat in a paper game too. In Both cases the DM will usually ask you to send him your character before hand so he/she can go through it. FG has the capability to EXPORT any character in it. Then the DM can IMPORT it after downloading from the forums or the email you sent (either way is good)

So you can either write your character out into paper first then enter it into FG. OR just simply type it straight into FG (Manage Character Option).as you work it out.

As Said Before HEROLABS can help speed things up but it isnt nessary as long as you have a core book so you know how to create a charater.

Willot
February 3rd, 2013, 23:03
well i really wanna roll a halfing paladin but have a good background for the halfing thing i will be able to make that?
I guess depends on the DM's World he's playing. I know in Golarion (Pathfinder's World) it is possible

MrGreat
February 3rd, 2013, 23:30
ok thanx man well i spent rest of my money on the lite license ill just use internet and have my uncle help with my character i just need to find a dm so i can know what ican do stuff like that

MrGreat
February 3rd, 2013, 23:31
also is there any site that i can do my rolls on?

Malkavian_Andi
February 3rd, 2013, 23:54
Which rolls are you talking about?

For rolling ability scores, you can do that in the "manage characters" section of Fantasy Grounds. But most GMs who use dice for generating ability scores in their campaign will want to witness you rolling, so that will be done before the actual game starts.
Many GMs use the point buy system, which already existed in D&D 3.0 but was used much less back then than it is today. The advantage of using that system is nobody can start with terribly poor stats or with über-powerful stats.
Also, you can just roll real dice and fill in the results in Fantasy Grounds if no GM wants to witness your die rolls ;)

If you talk about in-game die rolls, such as skill checks and attack rolls, those are all done with Fantasy Grounds ;)

And, as Willot already said, nobody can stop anyone from cheating. But then, why cheat? Of course, I can kick *** big style if I play a character with ability scores of 50, but would it be fun? It would definitely be no fun for the other players, who play non-cheated characters.
And also, there's the GM, who takes a look at the characters before the game.

MrGreat
February 4th, 2013, 00:06
thx yeah i just need some help been 10 years since i made a character ik what i wanna make and have a good background story but finding a gm is gonna be the challenge im seeing

Willot
February 4th, 2013, 00:27
Some Links that might be helpful
https://www.trovetokens.com/pathfinder.html (This might be a little out of date. But close)

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/

As as you may be getting the feeling that 3.5 or Pathfinder are probably alot more active

4E is very popular but I feel its in limbo a bit with the development of 5E and the base getting a bit split.

But still cant beat the ol D&D!

Rolemaster is a great system too, but very rule heavy (at the end of making a Rolemaster character you will feel like you've given birth!) So perhaps later

Cant comment on other rule systems as I havnt played many of the others here

Keep an eye out on the 3.5/Pathfinder forums I know every Few of weeks people advertise places.

Best bet for a game is Pathfinder Society. They have places poping up quite often. You would need to make a Pathfinder Charater though. (this is a persistent character that travels between different peoples games retaining lvls and stuff) Pathfinder Society has special rules however and you would need to read those at
Paizo's website

OH AND This link. He takes a Newbie through making a Pathfinder character https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77nb34DB6Gs&list=PL4A1E3A8F7AB89CD5&index=1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77nb34DB6Gs&list=PL4A1E3A8F7AB89CD5&index=1)

JohnD
February 4th, 2013, 18:08
Hey MrGreat - you may want to download the demo version of Hero Lab - you won't be able to save your PC, but you can do screenshots to capture the character data.

HL will help walk you through generating a "legal" character for 3.5e and Pathfinder at least.

And you still haven't given your hours/days of availability and time zone.

MrGreat
February 5th, 2013, 06:03
im available anytime at night moutain time usa

GunnarGreybeard
February 5th, 2013, 07:14
im available anytime at night moutain time usa
You may want to consider posting that into your signature. It can help prospective GM's see what times you are available when you post in their threads asking about their game.

MrGreat
February 5th, 2013, 08:18
thx ill do that