PDA

View Full Version : Problem with shields and unusual weapons

Chris_Seal
February 3rd, 2013, 08:51
Hi All,

I ran into an interesting issue this evening. For the first time in a long time I had an NPC with one of the "Additional Weapons" (in this case a Long Sword, rather than the more common Broadsword). The character targetted has a +10 Full Shield.

The shield DB was not propagating to the attack resolver for this attack. I tried a few other combinations and it appears that it is somehow tied to the bonus vs AT (The character had AT 16) to the best of my limited testing.

Loving the update.

Cheers
Chris

Dakadin
February 3rd, 2013, 18:55
Was the Defend Vs set to the attacker or the All check box selected for the shield? At least one of those conditions needs to happen for the shield DB to show up. If you don't want to worry about targeting the right attacker then just leave the All check box selected It should show up as a separate modifier from the parry and regular DB. Also be sure that there is a positive value in the Melee and/or Missile fields.

BTW the old library modules didn't have the shield DBs included so if the item was created before v1.4 you might want to manually adjust the values or drag another copy from Character Law.

If you were doing that please let me know because I would like to see the campaign so I can see if I can recreate and track down the issue.

JohnD
February 3rd, 2013, 20:34
Yeah - didn't notice this during the testing.

Chris_Seal
February 4th, 2013, 09:30
Hi Dakadin,

I tried updating with a new shield after manually entering the DB didn't work. The shield is a +10 full shield so I did adjust the DB (and I haven't tested it without doing so).

I've zipped the test campaign up and sent it to your hotmail address. Please let me know if I should send it elsewhere. The Combat tracker shows the tests I ran and the ones that behave as expected and those that don't.

Thanks heaps for taking a look.

Cheers
Chris

Dakadin
February 4th, 2013, 21:48
Thanks. I should have some time to look at it tonight.

Dakadin
February 5th, 2013, 07:14
I was able to track the issue down with the samples you provided. Basically if their is an AT modifier for the weapon other than zero then it is overwriting the second DB value which happens to be shield. I tested with RMC v1.3 and it existed there also because of a change I made. For a workaround I would recommend adding a second shield since it is easier to uncheck the modifiers in the table resolver than it is to add another modifier. I will definitely have it resolved for the next release.

Great catch Chris!

Chris_Seal
February 5th, 2013, 07:42
Thanks fior the quick fix Dakadin.

As always you are scholar and a gentleman.

Cheers
Chris