PDA

View Full Version : GM Issue: Alchemist Import Issue. Please Help

Trueshots
January 31st, 2013, 07:05
I've attached a screen shot of an issue I'm having. I'm running a game tonight and have imported a players .xml file . Upon doing so there appeared to be red dots on the right side of his equipment and the equipment/weapons aren't registering the correct numbers. I had a buddy of mine load his level 10 in and the same problem, but is alchemist only. All other classes are fine. Any help would be great, Thanks.

Willot
January 31st, 2013, 08:58
I've attached a screen shot of an issue I'm having. I'm running a game tonight and have imported a players .xml file . Upon doing so there appeared to be red dots on the right side of his equipment and the equipment/weapons aren't registering the correct numbers. I had a buddy of mine load his level 10 in and the same problem, but is alchemist only. All other classes are fine. Any help would be great, Thanks.
The red dots simply mean that there are no links to items

You need to create an item for them in the item section then drag that over to the inventory. And its pretty pedantic You might notice that Crossbow,Light has a link but Light crossbow doesnt. The name has to match the desc name in the library exactly in order for the link to match up in the import. Also your friend might have a link in his FG but you dont.

Trueshots
January 31st, 2013, 09:01
The red dots simply mean that there are no links to items

I've never had such a problem before, Is there something wrong with my fantasy grounds? or herolab? That's a pain in the butt to change out every single item.....

Trueshots
January 31st, 2013, 09:07
Also as a side note, Its not importing any spells either :(

Willot
January 31st, 2013, 09:21
I think it simply comes about that while herolabs know whats its talking about FG doesnt know what herolabs is talking about.

Basically Hero labs is talking about concepts FG isnt familar with.FG knows the name of the item but doesnt find it in its database.

I dont think ive ever got the spells to transfer over in FG from Herolabs either. I just drag them over from the spell book in the libary.

Trueshots
January 31st, 2013, 09:23
I think it simply comes about that while herolabs know whats its talking about FG doesnt know what herolabs is talking about.

Basically Hero labs is talking about concepts FG isnt familar with.FG knows the name of the item but doesnt find it in its database.

I dont think ive ever got the spells to transfer over in FG from Herolabs either. I just drag them over from the spell book in the libary.

OK thanks. Bit frustrating. Wish FG's would step up and fix some of these apparent issues....

JohnD
January 31st, 2013, 21:43
I've never had any issues importing with spells coming across. You have to have them selected before you export from HL.

Plus, not sure what "apparent issues" you think FG should be fixing... it is easy enough to drag across links from the in-game books.

Trenloe
January 31st, 2013, 22:08
OK thanks. Bit frustrating. Wish FG's would step up and fix some of these apparent issues....
There seems to be some misunderstanding of where the Character Converter gets it's information from.

The red links are present if there was additional information provided by Hero Lab when the "Save Custom Output" option was selected. Or, they are present in FG if someone has dragged an item to the character sheet.

In general, HeroLab will provide extra info for stock items (because Hero Lab has info for those items), but will not be able to provide that info for custom items.

Trueshots - you mentioned in another thread that 2 PCs XML provided to you couldn't see the weapons and spells. I have checked these and I can see Neb's fine. Travis's just doesn't have any alchemist extracts listed - probably because they were never selected with Hero Labs.

What were you finding incorrect in those characters?

In the end - as with any conversion process, if the information is not there/correct to start off with then nothing the conversion process does is going to help. I have always said that people should double check their characters once they are in FG to make sure that everything has come across. Sure, there will be the odd omission so a manual check is still needed.

Regarding links: it is nice to have a red-link with more information about a weapon etc. but this is not stopping you actually using that weapon or having that piece of equipment in your inventory. As long as the data in the actions tab is correct you can use it within Fantasy Grounds.

Probably the only thing that you HAVE to have a link to provide more information is spells. I've quickly made an alchemist in Hero Lab, selected 4 extracts for the extract book and memorised 2 for the day. This came through perfectly fine into FG - as well as the stats for the bomb:

Trueshots
January 31st, 2013, 22:29
This is his Hero lab selection for spells and his FG showing none plus his Bomb is messed up and I cant really find where to drag a new one from

2nd, The last pic is of his Skills page, all red dots, never seen this before on any character, so you can see my concern. Thanks!

Trueshots
January 31st, 2013, 22:33
Well crap....now its happen to all the imported characters.....

Trenloe
January 31st, 2013, 22:39
Well crap....now its happen to all the imported characters.....
What's happening?

Trenloe
February 1st, 2013, 23:38
For the problem where the alchemist spells are not importing, the issue is due to the class name being "Alchemist (Grenadier)". It seems that the character converter does not recognise this as a spell caster and so doesn't create the spell lists in the converted XML.

A work around is to open the .hlfg file exported from Hero Labs in a text editor, then do a find/replace action, replacing "Alchemist (Grenadier)" with "Alchemist", save the .hlfg file and then use this in the character converter.

I'm guessing this will be the case for any spellcaster that has an archtype applied within Hero Lab.