November 17th, 2015, 03:25
what have you set for your paths?

Kulis
November 17th, 2015, 03:45
Module Path: C:\Users\ryan_000\Documents\Parse\ryan2e

FG Modules Path: C:\Users\ryan_000\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\modules

sebadiaz77
November 17th, 2015, 05:30
Hello, im having problems when i whant to get images as a ref, because the par5e make the module, but when i open the ref (lz;image;barbarian.jpg;Barbarian) the image its blank.

http://i64.tinypic.com/30mxz5j.jpg

Sorry for my bad english.

sebadiaz77
November 17th, 2015, 05:50
Hello, im new in FG and Par5e.
Im having troubles to par5e a image, i want that image as a ref in class, but when i open (zl;image;barbarian.jpg;Barbarian) in fantasy grounds, the image is empty, i check out client.xml and the image is parsed but i canīt see it.

Kulis
November 17th, 2015, 05:51
what have you set for your paths?

I believe I fixed my path issue. I read something in this string many pages ago that stated you need to keep your Module Path at the top of your C:. So now I have a module appearing in my module list, I just don't have a thumbnail image and I haven't been able to figure out how to add a thumbnail for my module. The name shows up in my library but it's empty. I have been able to get some spells to show up in my parse list, but not output to my module in FG. I am still working on it, but will check back here for a response or update this post if I find a solution!

Thanks,

Kulis

updated!

spite
November 17th, 2015, 07:40
May be a silly question, but you've definitely got a picture with that name in your input folder in a folder called images right?

cas206
November 17th, 2015, 14:02
I just don't have a thumbnail image and I haven't been able to figure out how to add a thumbnail for my module.

Right place? From post #1: "PAR5E is now hard-coded to look for a file named thumbnail.png in the root of the module path". This is the folder that has "input" and "output" as sub-folders.
Right Type? It should be an actual PNG image and not just renamed that.
Right size? I don't know what the size requirements are, but using the official files as guidelines, I find scaling an image to 72 x 86 pixels works.

Edited: "image" folder is a sub-folder of "input" not the root folder as I originally posted. The root folder contains "input" and PAR5E makes "output" in the root folder.

cas206
November 17th, 2015, 14:12
I am working on my first module using parse. I am trying to take some 2E content (martial arts abilities) and converting them into spells following the same rules as the 5E spells. I am following Xorn's guide as closely as I can. The interface is a bit different now. When I hit parse I get the following:

Info : engine build .................................................. ..................... [v0.0.9-b62]
Info : ruleset library .................................................. .......................... [5E]
Info : module .................................................. ............................... [ryan2e]
Info : ruleset .................................................. .................................. [5E]
Info : folder structure .................................................. .................... [Created]
Parse : spells .................................................. ............................ [Completed]
Make : spells windowlists .................................................. ................ [Completed]

The module doesn't show up in my module folder inside or outside the game. I am not sure where the parse is going. I am doing a small test, just 28 lines total for a short "spell list" and I detailed out one spell. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I don't have an example with spells, but here is one with npcs. A complete parse should end with the "Build : Module" line.

Info : engine build .................................................. ..................... [v0.0.9-b56]
Info : ruleset library .................................................. .......................... [5E]
Info : module .................................................. ........... [DDEX209 Eye of the Tempest]
Info : ruleset .................................................. .................................. [5E]
Info : folder structure .................................................. ............. [Already Exists]
Parse : npc .................................................. .................. [Giant Snow Spider - OK]
Parse : npc .................................................. ................. [Remorhaz Hatchling - OK]
Parse : npc .................................................. .................. [Balloon Grenadier - OK]
Parse : npc .................................................. ............ [Howling Hatred Initiate - OK]
Parse : npc .................................................. .......................... [Hurricane - OK]
Parse : npc .................................................. ............... [Bloodwind, Skyweaver - OK]
Parse : npc .................................................. ................... [Elemental Anchor - OK]
Parse : npcs .................................................. .............................. [Completed]
Make : npcs windowlists .................................................. .................. [Completed]
Make : npcs (reference) .................................................. .................. [Completed]
Make : module xml data .................................................. ................... [Completed]
Make : archive data .................................................. ...................... [Completed]
Make : module xml library entries .................................................. ........ [Completed]
Write : module xml data .................................................. ................... [Completed]
Write : module xml syntax .................................................. ............... [Well Formed]
Write : module xml definition .................................................. ............. [Completed]
Write : copying module images .................................................. ............. [Completed]
Write : copying module tokens .................................................. ............. [Completed]
Write : copying module thumbnail .................................................. .......... [Completed]
Cook : module archive .................................................. .................... [Completed]
Build : module .................................................. ............................ [Completed]

Kulis
November 17th, 2015, 14:34
Right place? From post #1: "PAR5E is now hard-coded to look for a file named thumbnail.png in the root of the module path". This is the folder that has "input" and "images" as subfolders.
Right Type? It should be an actual PNG image and not just renamed that.
Right size? I don't know what the size requirements are, but using the official files as guidelines, I find scaling an image to 72 x 86 pixels works.

That fixed it, thanks so much for the help.

cas206
November 17th, 2015, 16:55
False trail. I just tried again and it doesn't work. Now I need to figure out what I did that one time that caused it to work.

Im having troubles to par5e a image, i want that image as a ref in class, but when i open (zl;image;barbarian.jpg;Barbarian) in fantasy grounds, the image is empty, i check out client.xml and the image is parsed but i canīt see it.

In story entries, I can sometimes get away with just a single #zl entry. But this seems one of those times you can't. I tested a image link in the "Descriptive FormattedText Line" below the "Name of Class".

The following works for me:
#zls;
#zl;image;...
#zle;

A single #zl;image line gave me the same symptoms you described.

Addendum:
The only difference between the two parse outputs is that the "<link ..." tag gets put inside a "<linklist> ... </linklist>" pair. So something in the 5E ruleset must require this condition.

cas206
November 17th, 2015, 18:31

I can't make PAR5E do it, but I can tweak the XML to make it work. Here is my sample class.txt:

##;Class Name
FormattedText
#zl;image;cleric_image.jpg;Cleric Image
Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d8
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5)
Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor
Weapons: All
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Wisdom
Skills: Choose two from History, Insight
Equipment
a mace
#fe;Feature1;1
Feature Text
#abh;Class Abilities
#ab;Ability1
Ability Text
#abf;Ability Feature
Ability Feature Text

In PAR5E, I only have class and images checked under the Ref column. I parse it and confirm that the image does not show up. Note in the Maps section a new blank entry has popped up when you did this. This indicates the XML link isn't set to the right place.

Within the Fantasy Grounds module folder, I make a folder with the same name as the *.mod file. I unzip the *.mod file inside this folder. I remove the *.mod file. Fantasy Grounds can now work with module content inside a folder, or from a *.mod file.

In the db.xml file, I note the following line for the image link:
<link class="imagewindow" recordname="[email protected]">Cleric Image</link>

Note that there is no <image> tag in the XML. There is a <imagedata> tag that is a child of <reference ...>. So I change the recordname to
recordname=”reference.imagedata.img_cleric_image_j [email protected]”

It now opens up correctly in Fantasy Grounds. You'll have to make this tweak any time you reparse the module.

cas206
November 17th, 2015, 18:49

Ok, my last post on this... I promise! Adding a check for images under "CMP" column on the PAR5E configuration page adds the missing <image> section to the XML. That seems to be the trick to get it to work. (at least until 5 minutes from now when I find it doesn't, at which point I give up in disgust).

Kulis
November 17th, 2015, 19:54
I have another question! How do I get an effect to show up on a spell that I am creating? I have an ability called Basic Parry. If successful, it makes you immune to melee bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage for that one attack. Is there a way to have that effect added in automatically when I create the spell, similar to the effect line on bless that automatically shows up when you drag the bless spell onto your spell list? So far the only option appears to be to create an effect manually after I put the Basic Parry spell in my list?

Is there a rule of thumb I haven't come across on how to inbed effects into spells automatically through par5e? Looking at the phb the effect for bless is there, but not for stoneskin?

Thanks,

Kulis

Sherlockandload
November 18th, 2015, 20:30
New to FG and Par5e. Watched all the videos and read the user guide. I have started on class.txt with the dwarf (including Gray Dwarf from Sword Coast). It Parses just fine. However, in Fantasy grounds the module shows up in the library, Races shows up in the Module, but there are no races listed for some reason. I'm not sure what the problem is and can't seem to find it addressed anywhere.

*Edit: Figured it out. Had the incorrect backslash in an italics portion and no space after one of the traits. I didn't realize that the Parse was getting caught up after creating the races windows since I had never parsed before.

Vreejack
November 26th, 2015, 08:09
Any way to figure out why Par5e is choking on my spells file? How is the tidy xml file supposed to help? The xml looks fine to me but it's a huge file and the detail that is killing is probably obscure and could be anywhere.

Okay, the tidy.xml broke off sort of near the problem. In any event I found it: a missing #te;

damned
November 26th, 2015, 11:08
Any way to figure out why Par5e is choking on my spells file? How is the tidy xml file supposed to help? The xml looks fine to me but it's a huge file and the detail that is killing is probably obscure and could be anywhere.

Okay, the tidy.xml broke off sort of near the problem. In any event I found it: a missing #te;

Do it in small chunks. Re-par5e after every small section.

Kulis
November 29th, 2015, 07:58
Question, I have finished a major section of my module created with par5e and I want to release it to players. Everything loads up fine for me on my DM client. When I test it on a non-dm client the module is there but it's not complete, it's missing quite a bit of data/info that I have added to it over the last week. I tried shutting down and restarting both the dm and player client, I reloaded the modules on both clients and nothing. I am sure it's something simple I am missing, I just haven't been able to find an answer for it scanning the forums.

Any suggestions? (for the record, the module parses all in the green, everything opens up and is functional on my dm client)

Thanks,

Kulis

damned
November 29th, 2015, 08:17
What stuff is missing?
I think some stuff is designed for GM use only - like NPCs...

Kulis
November 29th, 2015, 08:22
I created a player class and new spells. What is showing up is an earlier version from last week that had the class partially completed and only a few spells. I now have a fully completed class with 40 spells completely detailed out and tested. The module is still showing that old data in a player view client. On my DM client, it shows everything as it should. None of the info is dm only and I built the module with dm/player checked off. Could it be as simple as having a client on the same network (ie me at home) there is some data refresh issue? I have revoked and restored access to the module for players. I have reloaded the module on my player client. I have exited and restarted fg on both dm and player versions.

I am totally at a loss here lol?

damned
November 29th, 2015, 08:23
try flushing the cache on the client computer using the NUKE icon on the Join Game screen.

Kulis
November 29th, 2015, 08:26
That did it! Will all of my players have to do the same thing or is that just an issue because I am using a dm and player version of fg on the same computer?

damned
November 29th, 2015, 09:33
If they have had previous versions - they might have to...

Kulis
November 29th, 2015, 14:18
Ok fair enough, great information to know! I couldn't find any info here in the forums or on the wiki about this, was I just looking in the wrong place?

Thanks so much Damned!

Kulis

Redemption77
December 9th, 2015, 16:44
Alright lets see if you brilliant people can help me out a touch. Ive been using Parse to go ahead and parse in the 5e Star Wars Material I have. Im doing classes and I attempted one class to make sure it would work properly. I followed all the steps in the tutorial and have triple checked all my spaces colons and what not and yet when I run parse it tells me the engine build, the ruleset library, the module, the ruleset and finally it tells me the folder already exists and yet it will not do anything more! No parsing action from the program is happening. Ive got no idea what it could be that is stopping it. Please help

Sherlockandload
December 9th, 2015, 23:33
I had the same issue. My problem was an unrecognized character. The copied text had ī as an apostrophe instead of '. Find and replace made it very easy to fix once I found it. I created a temporary.txt and copied everything over, then attempted to parse in chunks cutting and pasting back in the classes so I knew what section to look in.

cas206
December 10th, 2015, 18:44
Somewhere in this massive thread might be instructions on how to use notepad++ to find non-standard characters. If by chance you are a VI (vim) user, I search for them by hitting the '/' key to start a search. The pattern I search on is [^\x00-\x7f] (side note: I don't want to cause potential confusion by ending that sentence with a period, but it's killing me if I don't put a period somewhere).

That pattern finds any character that is not one of the normal ASCII characters. I'm not positive but I think this might have been covered in one of the PAR5E tutorial videos for notepad++.

spite
December 11th, 2015, 00:15
http://puu.sh/lQYDq/1423f1c679.png

every time I try to Par5e my module with the latest changes I get the above and it just goes no further.
If I try again I get
http://puu.sh/lQYGa/4cb47e81f9.png

And nothing I do, deleting the output and whatnot seems to make it work. Halp!

spite
December 11th, 2015, 00:34
Ahh it appears one of my classes was incomplete, removing that class made it work again so I'll try sort that out. Thanks Me!

Nylanfs
December 11th, 2015, 03:30
The best thing is to do everything in small chunks when you hit a roadblock.

damned
December 11th, 2015, 10:31
The best thing is to do everything in small chunks when you hit a roadblock.

Better yet - always do it in small chunks. Always. :)

Xorn
December 11th, 2015, 16:15
So everything below is parsing without error, but when I go to spells in the library, I'm only seeing Sorcerer spells listed. If you open any individual spell, it lists all three classes, but the spell index only shows Sorcerer. I moved Warlock up to be the first index, and it only listed Warlock, but again each spell listed all three classes. It's been awhile since I parsed any spells--can anyone see what I have out of place?

#@;
Sorcerer Spells

Cantrips (0 Level)
Booming Blade
Green-Flame Blade
Lightning Lure
Sword Burst

Warlock Spells

Cantrips (0 Level)
Booming Blade
Green-Flame Blade
Lightning Lure
Sword Burst

Wizard Spells

Cantrips (0 Level)
Booming Blade
Green-Flame Blade
Lightning Lure
Sword Burst

##;
Booming Blade
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, M (a weapon)
Duration: 1 round
As part of the action TEXT
This spell's damage increases TEXT

Green-Flame Blade
Evocation cantrip
Components: V, M (a weapon)
Duration: Instantaneous
As part of the action used to TEXT
This spell's damage increases TEXT

Lightning Lure
Evocation cantrip
Range: 15 feet
Components: V
You create a lash of TEXT
This spell's damage TEXT

Sword Burst
Conjuration cantrip
Components: V
You create a momentary circle TEXT
This spell's damage increases by TEXT

Zacchaeus
December 11th, 2015, 18:04
No, but if you add a different spell to each of them they will all show up on the index.

By that I mean a spell which is unique to that class

heyyouoverthere
December 11th, 2015, 21:10
Is there a chance that the Par5e tool has functionality for the new item templates, or will the tool need to be updated to allow the new item type?

Because I would like to be able to have items load into Fantasy Grounds from my library module automatically as templates for the new Item Forge feature.

Zacchaeus
December 11th, 2015, 21:18
Is there a chance that the Par5e tool has functionality for the new item templates, or will the tool need to be updated to allow the new item type?

Because I would like to be able to have items load into Fantasy Grounds from my library module automatically as templates for the new Item Forge feature.

Hi, and welcome to the forums and to Fantasy Grounds.

Parse is not capable of creating templates, but it can create magic items. You could then edit those in FG to make them templates.

heyyouoverthere
December 11th, 2015, 21:24
Hi, and welcome to the forums and to Fantasy Grounds.

Parse is not capable of creating templates, but it can create magic items. You could then edit those in FG to make them templates.
Hello to you as well, and thank you for the welcome.
I thought that might be the case.
I am still currently creating the Magic Item section of my module and was wondering if there might be a way to skip the step of editing them in FG.

Edit: Is it possible to add this sort of functionality to the Par5e tool? Since the tool already can pick out type and rarity of an item.
eg:
[{name of magic item}\n
{magic item type}, {magic item rarity}, {template}
[{descriptive text line}\n] \n]

Zacchaeus
December 11th, 2015, 22:04
Hello to you as well, and thank you for the welcome.
I thought that might be the case.
I am still currently creating the Magic Item section of my module and was wondering if there might be a way to skip the step of editing them in FG.

Edit: Is it possible to add this sort of functionality to the Par5e tool? Since the tool already can pick out type and rarity of an item.
eg:
[{name of magic item}\n
{magic item type}, {magic item rarity}, {template}
[{descriptive text line}\n] \n]

Unfortunately the version of parse available to the public is no longer being revised or upgraded. For some months now (since Smiteworks got the license to produce WotC stuff) the tool has been 'taken over' as it were for internal use by Smiteworks only. However the public version is still a very powerful tool and it will do most things. The magic item output is fairly basic and actually you can do a lot more (and probably just as quickly) by creating a module within FG itself.

spite
December 11th, 2015, 22:13
With the current version or par5e, is there any way to add things like new sorcerous origins, or fighting archetypes without inputting the entire class and adding that one extra feature?
If so, is there a way to make it behave how the PHB and SCAG do in that it will cross reference open modules and have all options presented, much like the extra rogue archetypes?

Zacchaeus
December 11th, 2015, 22:28
With the current version or par5e, is there any way to add things like new sorcerous origins, or fighting archetypes without inputting the entire class and adding that one extra feature?
If so, is there a way to make it behave how the PHB and SCAG do in that it will cross reference open modules and have all options presented, much like the extra rogue archetypes?

To answer the first part of your question no, you can't add a part of a class at least not what you want to do and have it functional. The way par5e works is that it expects a certain minimum of information, that which is shown in red writing in the 5e parse manual basically. You can certainly add new archetypes to an existing class and also of course entirely new classes.

I'm not hugely sure what the answer is to your second question. I don't believe that the functionality that you speak of has anything to do with parse; that's coded into FG (I think from v 3.1.4). So in theory if you created something like what you see in SCAG (basically the whole class but with only the new archetype) then it should be picked up if you have the PHB and your new mod open at the same time. But I haven't tested anything like that out. But you could and let us all know :)

spite
December 11th, 2015, 23:26
I'll give it a try, going to add in the fighter archetypes and some new sorcerous origins today and let you know if the second part works.
I was hoping I only needed to add those in but looks like the lot this time, heh.

Tivaan01
December 12th, 2015, 00:51
Was wondering if the ability to add roll tables, like the tables you have on backgrounds, could be added to classes or races?

Apolala
December 12th, 2015, 02:01
Was wondering if the ability to add roll tables, like the tables you have on backgrounds, could be added to classes or races?

Yes, just add a rollable table in tables.txt and link to it from class or race. #zl;table;table name;

(pp.29, 33 in the Pars5e DD5E User Guide)

WansumBeats
December 14th, 2015, 04:39
So Ive been parsing the monster a day stuff from reddit.. just got all caught up and realized when i was going over my tokens, that Remorhaz Hatchling, Rat Hermit, and Rusalka NPCs are the only ones that dont have tokens associated with them.

Oddly enough.. i made the tokens, the tokens are in the right directory, everything is working in par5e 100%. I can see that par5e is telling me that it autolinked the tokens.. yet they dont show up.

wierd part is.. i only have three npcs that start with R, and none of them have a token linked to them... is it wierd that its just R that isnt working?

any ideas?

Apolala
December 14th, 2015, 05:38
So Ive been parsing the monster a day stuff from reddit.. just got all caught up and realized when i was going over my tokens, that Remorhaz Hatchling, Rat Hermit, and Rusalka NPCs are the only ones that dont have tokens associated with them.

Oddly enough.. i made the tokens, the tokens are in the right directory, everything is working in par5e 100%. I can see that par5e is telling me that it autolinked the tokens.. yet they dont show up.

wierd part is.. i only have three npcs that start with R, and none of them have a token linked to them... is it wierd that its just R that isnt working?

any ideas?

That used to be a bug atleast. But should have been fixed in the v0.0.9-b57 release of the Par5e.

Source:

Updated version of the public version of PAR5E has been posted to my website in the usual place. This as previously announced is merely a maintenance update fixing a bug with tokens for Windows platform users and correcting a token matching policy for encounter npcs. Enjoy!

5E: Added hotfix for Windows platform and token parsing for tokens beginning with the R/r characters.
5E: Updated encounter npc token linking. PAR5E will now use the following order when auto linking encounter npcs to tokens

Mixylplyx
December 26th, 2015, 00:17
How are we supposed to handle traps generated using the traps.txt input file and Par5e? The Par5e reference document has a section on setting up the input file (traps.txt) but no ref or cmp checkbox. I can enter an encounter (Encounters.txt) with the trap name and the encounter item is generated, but I am not sure where the Detect/Effect/Countermeasures are populated into FG. What am I missing?

No one responded to this either. How do you use Par5e to create Traps/Hazards? It's there in the reference document but not in the program itself. I'm on version 0.09-b62. Is this the latest version?

zeracool2k
December 26th, 2015, 04:39
Actually, there is a thread dedicated to traps and hazards (http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24613-Hazards-amp-Traps)...

tl;dr, just create them as NPCs on Par5e. Make sure you fill all the required info (size, alignment, stats, etc. and at least one power, like "activation" or "trigger") or there will be trouble.

Zacchaeus
December 26th, 2015, 10:23
No one responded to this either. How do you use Par5e to create Traps/Hazards? It's there in the reference document but not in the program itself. I'm on version 0.09-b62. Is this the latest version?

Yes, you have the latest version and yes it's in the documentation but no you can't create traps in par5e, at least not as traps. I can't say why there is documentation but no implementation. There isn't a template specifically for traps in 5e. As zeracool2k said the only way to create then is as NPCs. However this would be an awful lot of excessive work to do this in par5e so it would be easier to do it within Fantasy Grounds as the thread you were directed to suggests.

GrimmSpector
December 28th, 2015, 18:30
Pathfinder ruleset incorrectly sets the ruleset for the modules to "Pathfinder" when it should be "PFRPG" and has to be manually edited each time...

Also I'm having trouble parsing a Pathfinder file, I've got the tables all setup for the armor/shields from UE; but it doesn't output anything for it. I've selected "Ref" for equipment, and I get "warnings" on every item, but no errors, everything else is in blue/green. So the module loads, but is empty, instead of having the armor/shield table I built the text file for.

Anyone got any advice? I can post the text file if that's allowable, see if I made any serious errors?

Zacchaeus
December 28th, 2015, 19:34
I've never used it for Pathfinder but one thing is that par5e is as it is so I'm afraid you'll need to live with the ruleset setting to Pathfinder rather than PFRPG.

The 'warnings' on each item is telling you that there is an error in every case. All you can do is go over everything line by line until you track down the error. I'd also suggest that you try and par5e small amounts at a time - it's easier to track errors then. Try creating a new blank text file and take everything from your original file into it except one item and then try to parse that. Once you find the error, add another item and par5e again and so on.

GrimmSpector
December 28th, 2015, 19:42
http://pastebin.com/12TYATbk

That's my current text file, see any errors? each line is a CRLF at the very end; I don't mind having to edit it manually, it's not a huge deal, but I figured the author might want to know.

Zacchaeus
December 28th, 2015, 20:34
I don't know what is happening here but I can't get it to parse more than 3 columns.

So this parses

@#;Armor
#th;Name;Cost;AC
#st;LIGHT ARMOR
Haramaki;3 gp;1

But add another column and it won't par5e no matter what you put in there. So, to me, it looks like a problem with parse but Im not entirely sure since as I say I've never used it for Pathfinder.

EDIT: I've just confirmed this with an old 5e equipment.txt file that I have. Everything with three columns or less parses but anything with 4 or more doesn't.

GrimmSpector
December 28th, 2015, 20:40
Weird, since clearly the PF and 5e base modules have more than 5 columns, that's super frustrating.

Also getting this:

Cook : module archive .................................................. ............. [Failed - WARNING]

GrimmSpector
December 28th, 2015, 20:45
It does parse with only 3 columns, and I get an OK instead of a warning for the item, I still get the cook warning, and the item/table still doesn't show up in the library...

Edit: Got rid of the archive issue by closing winrar...but the xmls are fine and still not loading up in the library browser, I have an empty section for "reference manual" if I give it an empty txt, but for equipment even with only 3 columns in the or more in either heading or items, it will not show up in the library browser...

Even with only one item, it also doesn't appear to have the descriptive text despite me adding it in, here's a sample:

@#;ARMOR
#th;Name;Cost;AC
#st;LIGHT ARMOR
Haramaki;3 gp;+1

Haramaki: Also called a belly-warmer, a haramaki is a simple silken sash lined with chainmail or articulated metal plates and tied about the stomach to protect it.

But the xml only has the following:

<category name="Items - PFRPG Ultimate Equipment" baseicon="2" decalicon="1">
<haramaki>
<name type="string">Haramaki</name>
<isidentified type="number">0</isidentified>
<locked type="number">0</locked>
<cost type="string">3 gp</cost>
<weight type="number">0</weight>
<notes type="formattedtext" />
</haramaki>
</category>

The proper parsing should come out looking like:

<name type="string">Leather</name>
<cost type="string">10 gp</cost>
<weight type="string">15 lb.</weight>
<ac type="string">2</ac>
<maxstatbonus type="string">6</maxstatbonus>
<checkpenalty type="string">0</checkpenalty>
<spellfailure type="string">10%</spellfailure>
<speed30 type="string">30 ft.</speed30>
<speed20 type="string">20 ft.</speed20>
<properties type="string"></properties>

and some referencing below for the pop out window, which I don't know if Par5e handles links, or builds proper items, but I imagine it should. the real question is why doesn't it parse out to these tags, instead of the tags we're getting; and since there are clearly more than 3, why does having more than 3, even blank ones, cause it to fail? If we can figure out this, maybe we can get it working.

Also seems when I give it a "weight" tag, it's expecting a "number" so it comes out wrong in the xml; meanwhile the base libraries all use "string" as the type for the "weight" tag...

More edit: So after examining XML structures, I've found it's not showing up in the library, because the parser isn't generating the librarylink tags for the equipment tables...

It also seems to not be outputting any reference manual information, the section will appear in the XML and in FG, but there's no information actually in the XML file, so it's empty. This seems to be that it's not "making" the Reference section, any empty txt file I tell it to parse it does a "make" on in the console; except the referencemanual.txt, for that one is does the parse lines, they're green, and then no "make" appears. If I have no data but the reference manual items then it doesn't bother to build a client.xml

Pretty weird problems...

tsemana
December 30th, 2015, 15:39
Hi There,

Just downloaded the latest version from the site (v0.0.9-b62 31/05/2015) for Mac. And it fails on opening.

Here's the java version output:

java version "1.8.0_60"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_60-b27)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.60-b23, mixed mode)

And here's the output from trying to launch from the terminal:
LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file /Users/tony/Documents/Games/Fantasy Grounds/PAR5E-mac/PAR5e.app.

Hope this helps! Looking forward to tinkering with this app.

UPDATE: Installing and running the linux version works - or at least opens the app to the main window. Have not tested it further.

ianmward
December 30th, 2015, 17:55
You need to "chmod +x" the executable inside the app package.

Hi There,

Just downloaded the latest version from the site (v0.0.9-b62 31/05/2015) for Mac. And it fails on opening.

Here's the java version output:

java version "1.8.0_60"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_60-b27)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.60-b23, mixed mode)

And here's the output from trying to launch from the terminal:
LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file /Users/tony/Documents/Games/Fantasy Grounds/PAR5E-mac/PAR5e.app.

Hope this helps! Looking forward to tinkering with this app.

UPDATE: Installing and running the linux version works - or at least opens the app to the main window. Have not tested it further.

spite
January 6th, 2016, 06:21
Is it just me or is the par5e guide PDF no longer available?

damned
January 6th, 2016, 10:17
when ive downloaded the par5e.zip file it has contained the PDF(s).

Zacchaeus
January 6th, 2016, 13:45
when ive downloaded the par5e.zip file it has contained the PDF(s).

It's in the 'docs' folder of your par5e directory.

spite
January 6th, 2016, 21:18
Ajhhhh, here I was always using the online hosted one.
Look at that, learn something new every day.

spite
January 15th, 2016, 02:08
Fixed nevermind.

spite
January 20th, 2016, 07:44
Will par5e support parsing higher-than-20 classes? And will FG support content for that when you level a class up above 20?

Zacchaeus
January 20th, 2016, 10:31
As regards your first question there won't be any more updates to the public version of par5e.

I can't answer your second one and perhaps this is a question for another forum. Having said that I can personally see no reason why, if levels beyond 20 ever come about in any official WotC future product, FG would not support it.

VayneBK201
January 23rd, 2016, 01:26
Has anyone figured out how to use Par5e to deal with homebrew content such as classes. I have the ultimate edition and want to dm for my friends, but the classes they really want to play are homebrewed. My directory is C:/Par5e/Homebrew/Input with the class.txt file in the input folder and the module path is the module folder for fantasy grounds. I only have one class in there at the moment. The Par5e process gets as far as folder structure and then stops completely. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. If necessary I can post what i put in the notepad document as well. Thank you for your time.

damned
January 23rd, 2016, 01:34
Welcome VayneBK201
I think you need to select the folder that contains Input and not Input itself.
Par5e takes some real practice to get used to. It wont work if everything isnt exactly right.

VayneBK201
January 23rd, 2016, 01:55
The Module path is C:/Par5e/Homebrew/ and the FG Module Path is the Module directory in Fantasy Grounds in Program Data. I received the error below. Should I post the notepad with the homebrew information?

Info : engine build .................................................. ..................... [v0.0.9-b62]
Info : module .................................................. ............................. [Homebrew]
Info : folder structure .................................................. ............. [Already Exists]

damned
January 23rd, 2016, 02:33
sure. post it here.

VayneBK201
January 23rd, 2016, 02:50
##;Ranger Variant
A hooded Tiefling sits at a table in a tavern with a raven on her shoulder as 4 thugs come up to her. She looks up, studying the first's mannerisms, then she hastily dodges his attack as he swings at her. She kicks her chair at the man behind her and chugs one of her poultices, then immediately vomits forth a strange goo that covers 2 of the men. They each try to attack, the first can't seem to land a blow, while the second is stuck behind a chair, while the last 2 are unable to move. She pulls out her sword, stumbling around from intoxication, then charges at one while her raven attacks another.
Deep in the forest an Elf stalks an ogre, he knocks his bow, awaiting his quarry. The ogre, runs, terrified of its stalker, as an arrow pierces its body again and again. It runs toward the source of the arrow, and feels another sting on its back, as it turns to the source it sees a blur shoot through the trees at immense speed. The ogre tries to run away, but a bear pounces on it. The Elf sprints to the ogre as his friend pins him down to finish the fight.

#ts;
#th;Level;Prof Bonus;Features;Beast Template CR;
#tr;1st;+2;Animal Companion;1/4;
#tr;2nd;+2 Know Thy Enemy;1/4;
#tr;3rd;+2;Aptitude;1/2;
#tr;4th;+2;Ability Score Improvement;1/2;
#tr;5th;+3;Extra Attack;1;
#tr;6th;+3;Aptitude Improvement;1;
#tr;7th;+3;Improvisor, Compounding Barrage;2;
#tr;8th;+3;Ability Score Improvement;2;
#tr;9th;+4;Confounding Strike;3;
#tr;10th;+4;One With The Wilderness;3;
#tr;11th;+4;Expertise;4;
#tr;12th;+4;Ability Score Improvement;4;
#tr;13th;+5;Unconventional;5;
#tr;14th;+5;Aptitude Improvement;5;
#tr;15th;+5;Assisted Combatant;6;
#tr;16th;+5;Ability Score Improvement;6;
#tr;17th;+6;Swift Action;7;
#tr;18th;+6;Aptitude Improvement;7;
#tr;19th;+6;Ability Score Improvement;8;
#tr;20th;+6;Guerrilla Warfare;8;
#te;
#h; Class Features
As a Ranger you gain the following class features.
Hit Points[edit]
Hit Dice: 1d8 per Ranger level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + Constitution modifier per Ranger level after 1st
Proficiencies[edit]
Armor: Light, medium, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Strength, Dexterity
Skills: Choose 3 from Animal Handling, Athletics, Insight, Investigation, Nature, Perception, Stealth, Survival
Equipment[edit]
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
#ls;
#li;(a) Scale mail or (b) Leather armor
#li;(a) A martial weapon or (b) two simple weapons
#li;(a) a dungeoneer's pack or (b) an explorer's pack
#li;A Longbow with a quiver of 20 arrows
#le;
#fe;Animal Companion;1
At level 1 you have created a special bond with an animal, it is your constant companion and friend. Choose a beast of challenge rating ž or less, this companion goes on your initiative, but must hear or see you in order to act. This companion improves with time (on the beast template table) or you may release it and obtain a new Beast companion by finding a new beast and spending 8 consecutive hours bonding with it. Instead of selecting a new companion you may improve your current companion with the following abilities each time the CR increases, Unless otherwise noted in descriptions, the beast cannot wear armor.
Fortitude: Increases Companion hit point maximum by 1d12 + 10
Power: Increases damage by 1d4
Skilled: +1 to skills and attack rolls
Defensive: +1 to AC and all saving throws
Mystic: The beast's natural weapons are considered magical for the purpose of overcoming damage resistance.
Slippery: Beast may take a bonus action to dash or use the disengage actions.
Evasive: The beast gains the Rogue's evasive ability
#fe;Know Thy Enemy;2
Starting at 2nd level you may, as a bonus action, study an opponent's mannerisms in order to gain temporary advantages against them, make an insight check against a creature's CR or Level, + 5, if you pass you may choose an ability to gain against that creature, this lasts a number of rounds equal to your wisdom modifier at which they notice you are taking advantage of a weakness they have and it ends, you cannot use this ability on the same creature more than once per day. You must be able to see your enemy to apply this ability.
Vulnerability: You find a vulnerable spot on their body, attacking such an area grants only you advantage against the creature.
Habit: You notice a tell that they have when they speak, you have advantage on all insight and charisma checks against the creature and know if they are lying (unless they are aided by magic).
Exposed: You find a weakness in their natural or artificial defenses, the AC you target against them is equal to 10 + their dexterity modifier.
Awareness: You learn about the creature's biology and learn one piece of knowledge (you know this and won't forget it): Their AC, 1 saving throw of your choice, their current hit points, 1 special action they have (if they don't have any you learn 1 of their attack's statistics)
Pattern: You notice a pattern in their actions, they gain disadvantage if they try to attack you.
#fe;Aptitude;3
At level 3 you choose the aptitude of your ranger. You may choose from Herbalist, Primal, or Slayer. Your choice grants you features at level 3rd, 6th, 14th, and 18th level.
#fe;Ability Score Increase;4,8,12,16,19
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of you choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
#fe;Extra Attack;5
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the attack action on your turn.
#fe;Improvisation;7
Beginning at level 7 you may use a bonus action to take advantage of the environment, you may use one of the following abilities if their conditions are met.
Cover: The environment has large objects that break line of sight, like trees or rocks. Pick a hostile creature. You can take the hide action as though that creature were unable to see you. Although it is still aware of your location, you gain all other benefits of hiding against that creature.
Interpose: The environment has easily manipulated objects of small or medium size. You kick a chair, a boulder, or other type of object you can normally push that is within 5 feet of you between yourself and a small or medium creature within 10 feet of you. The object shares the same 5 foot space as the creature. As long as the creature remains in the same space as the object, you may add your proficiency bonus to your AC whenever that creature attempts to attack you. If it moves from the space, you may use your reaction to attack it.
Blind: The environment is wet or sandy, or you are sweating. You flick liquid, sand, or mud at a creature's face, making a ranged attack roll against a creature that you are adjacent to. If the target is the only hostile creature adjacent to you, you don't suffer disadvantage on the attack roll. The creature must make a saving throw with a DC equal to your attack roll or suffer the blind condition until the start of its next turn. This does not affect creatures with blindsight, blindsense, or other sensory abilities that do not rely on sight.
Careful: The environment has difficult terrain that is not caused by magic. You ignore difficult terrain until the start of your next turn.

VayneBK201
January 23rd, 2016, 02:52
#fe;Compounding Barrage;7
When you reach 7th level and roll a critical attack on a creature you deal an additional d6 weapon damage type against that creature for 1 minute, this stacks with itself to a maximum equal to your wisdom modifier. Additionally after you crit until the end of your next turn your chance to crit increases by your wisdom modifier (a +3 means you crit on a 17), this ability does not stack and does not trigger the additional d6 unless it would be a natural critical.
#fe;Confounding Strike;9
Stating at 9th level you may attempt to strike at an opponent that is currently affected by Know Your Enemy, you may take an action to attack them with a flurry of flashy and strangely placed strikes, make a melee attack against the target, if it hits it deals normal weapon damage, the target must then make a wisdom save, DC = damage + 10, or become confused as if effected by the Confusion spell for a number of rounds equal to your wisdom modifier, you may use this ability once after a short or long rest.
#fe;One With The Wilderness;10
At 10th level you have become exceedingly adapted to the excessive dangers of the world and have become immune to poison damage and the poisoned condition.
#fe;Expertise;11
At level 11 choose two proficiencies granted by the Ranger's class skills, your proficiency is doubled for these skills.
#fe;Unconventional;13
Starting at 13th level you have mastered the art of improvised combat, while you are prone you do not have disadvantage on attacks, additionally while grappling a creature you may expend your full movement to force both yourself and the creature to become prone.
#fe;Assisted Combatant;15
Beginning at level 15 you and your animal companion are incredibly in sync, while you and your companion are within 10 feet of each other you both gain a bonus to damage of 1d6 to all attacks against creatures that your companion threatens.
#fe;Swift Action;17
At 17th level your knowledge is quick as are your movements, if you use Know Thy Enemy as a bonus action you may use also use Improvisor as a free action.
#fe;Guerrilla Warfare;20
At level 20 you have honed your tactics to perfection, while fighting against a group that is equal or larger in size then your own, you gain the following advantages, your speed is doubled, you may apply Know Thy Enemy to every creature at the same time, the length of know your enemy is doubled, you may choose a number of creatures equal to your wisdom modifier you deal an additional d6 of damage against them. If the numbers of an enemy force is less than your own, you gain a bonus to all you and your animal companions attacks of 3d6 weapon damage.
#abh;Primal
Primal rangers can come from various pasts, such as an ancestor afflicted with lycanthropy, the child of a druid, or had their blood infected by a certain animal. No matter what has caused their blood to change, primal rangers tap into the savagery of nature to enhance their bodies through short intense burst of shapeshifting.
#abf;Primal Blood;3
At 3rd level you choose which type of animal heritage pulses through your veins, you gain certain traits based on this choice. As an action once after taking a long or short rest you may shift into a hybrid form of your race and the animal for 10 minutes.
#ls;
#li;Bat: You gain blindsight out to 30 feet, at level 14 you gain 30 feet of flight.
#li;Bear: You gain + 1 AC, at level 14 you gain a +2d4 to damage rolls made with melee weapons.
#li;Bull: You cannot be forcefully moved or knocked prone, at level 14 if you move at least 10 feet before you attack your next melee weapon attack deals 2d8 more damage, this can only be used once per turn.
#li;Falcon: Darkvision out to 1 mile, at level 14 you gain the effects of the Jump spell while transformed.
#li;Frog: You gain waterbreathing, a swim speed of 30 feet and can fight in water unhindered, at level 14 you may try to grapple a creature within 15 feet of you with your tongue as a bonus action.
#li;Monkey: You gain advantage on opposed grapple attempts, at level 14 you may grapple up to 3 targets at once and qualify as a creature one size larger on grapple attempts.
#li;Mouse: You may squeeze through spaces only a tiny creature or larger creature can, at level 14 you gain the evasion ability.
#li;Owl: You gain advantage on stealth attempts and may hide as a bonus action, at level 14 you hover in place and don't touch the ground, and your may dash as a bonus action.
#li;Snake: Your reach increases by 5 feet, at level 14 you may take the dodge action as a bonus action.
#li;Wolf: You gain the scent ability out to 120 feet, at level 14 you gain advantage on attacks if your animal companion is within 5 feet of your target.
#le;
#abf;Wild Surge;6
Starting at level 6 you can emulate the shape shift ability and may shift into the same type of creature as your companion, this works like the Druid's Wild Shape feature, except you must transform into an exact replica of your animal companion, you may do this once per day and it lasts for a number of hours equal to a third of your Ranger level, you may end this at any time you wish.
#abf;Primal Morph;14
Beginning at 14th level your Primal Blood feature improves, additionally you may use this ability up to a number of times equal to your wisdom modifier after a short or long rest.
#abf;Chimera;18
At 18th level you may choose an additional Primal Blood shape to transform into when you use this ability, you may also grant your animal companion a Primal Blood form that you currently have while you are in this form.

This is the rest of it. I wasnt sure how to put it in a smaller box like others have done before in this thread. Oh i managed to correct what was keeping it from working. Think it was a table error, but it wont show me anything after #abh;Primal

damned
January 23rd, 2016, 03:17
there is a working sample in post 1122
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18123-Project-Par5e&p=192578&viewfull=1#post192578

You have to change the ##;##; to ##; and it will work.
Copy the Cleric out and test it.
Then go thru it line by line comparing to yours or swapping lines out one at a time until you find what didnt/doesnt work.

VayneBK201
January 23rd, 2016, 03:20
Oh okay. Thank you very much!

Keraki
January 23rd, 2016, 21:43
I have a question about how to properly parse the Inheritor background from the SC guide. The Feature inheritance has a rollable table in it. However when itry to make the rollable table it comes out as plain text. is there a way to make rollable tables in the feature window or do i just have to suck it up and put it under suggested characteristics?

Zacchaeus
January 24th, 2016, 11:26
I have a question about how to properly parse the Inheritor background from the SC guide. The Feature inheritance has a rollable table in it. However when itry to make the rollable table it comes out as plain text. is there a way to make rollable tables in the feature window or do i just have to suck it up and put it under suggested characteristics?

Hi Keraki, welcome to the community.

In order to par5e a rollable table you are going to have to actually par5e the table in par5e. You'll find details of the markup for this in the par5e documentation (the table will require a separate text file called tables.txt). The table will then appear in the tables part of your module and can be linked to the character sheet using the #zl; tag.

centerNegative
January 25th, 2016, 00:34
I'm having an issue with Class Ability Features (like Cleric Domain abilities or Fighter Martial Archetype abilities) not being automatically added to the character sheet when leveling like standard Class Features. For instance, when I have a fighter hit level 3 and I choose the Champion Martial Archetype, none of the ability features I have set for it get added as the fighter levels. Formatting would be appear to be correct. Here's a snippet:

#ab;Champion
The archetypal Champion focuses on the development of raw physical power honed to deadly perfection...
#abf;Improved Critical;3
Beginning when you choose this archetype at 3rd level, your weapon attacks score a critical hit...
#abf;Remarkable Athlete;7
Starting at 7th level, you can add half your proficiency bonus...

I would assume that the Improved Critical would be instantly added to the sheet, being that the fighter is third level, and when 7th level is reached Remarkable Athlete would be added to the character sheet but it doesn't happen. What am I missing? All other standard Class Features add just fine when leveling the character.

Zacchaeus
January 25th, 2016, 09:33
I have a feeling it doesn't. It will mention I think the fact that you get an archetype at level 3 but it won't add in the archetype abilities when you get to them.

centerNegative
January 25th, 2016, 14:49
Follow-up questions then: is that a bug or a feature? And is that a problem unique to custom modules created with Par5e or does this issue also occur with the licensed modules produced by Smiteworks? It seems a bit frivolous to have to format the ability features with level limits and then have that not do the work for me...

Zacchaeus
January 25th, 2016, 15:08
I don't think it's either a bug or a feature; I think it's just not available in the public version of par5e.

centerNegative
January 25th, 2016, 15:30
So it does work correctly in the modules made by SW?

Zacchaeus
January 25th, 2016, 15:44
So it does work correctly in the modules made by SW?

Yes, it does.

zeracool2k
January 25th, 2016, 17:38
Hello,
sorry to bother, but on the same subject... Par5e has fallen short with all the new additions to FG, and it is extremely bothersome having to browse through the official modules for the stuff we want (especially with every new module adding one or two new backgrounds, class features, and "class paths").

(again)... are there plans to create a tool (i.e., a built-in Par5e) for users to create Class, Race and Background content inside Fantasy Grounds?
Is there a way to unify stuff from across all the modules into a single repository? I mean, like an "(index)" that fuses content from the Complete Core Class Pack, PHB, SCAG, DMG, etc. showing it classified by category (i.e. Class, Race, Background, Spells, etc.)? I think this existed at some point for spells in Pathfinder.

That's it :)

Moon Wizard
January 25th, 2016, 17:47
1. There are future plans to create interfaces to browse all of the module content for a particular record type within Fantasy Grounds. However, creating interfaces to build classes, races and backgrounds would take quite a bit of work and UI iteration for a limited use scenario. We are focusing most of our development time on reimplementing the core of FG on Unity in order to update core libraries (network, graphics, 3D, etc.) as well as allow for easier addition of new features going forward.

2. See above. There is not anything like this for Pathfinder that I'm aware of, though there are a few modules that attempt to index every OGL spell or monster in a single module.

Regards,
JPG

Tivaan01
January 30th, 2016, 14:46
Hello guys
I am having a issue with formatting a NPC in the Monster Manual.
Here are my Traits and this is how I have it created in Notepad++

Spellcasting. The death knight is a 19th-level spell caster. Its spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 18, +10 to hit with spell attacks). It has the following paladin spells prepared:
1st level (4 slots) command, compelled duel, searing smite
2nd level (3 slots) hold person , magic weapon
3rd level (3 slots) dispel magic, elemental weapon
4th level (3 slots) banishment, staggering smite
5th level (2 slots) destructive wave (necrotic)

Here is how it looks it Fantasy Grounds:

Spellcasting. The death knight is a 19th-level spell caster. Its spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 18, +10 to hit with spell attacks). It has the following paladin spells prepared: 1st level (4 slots) command, compelled duel, searing smite 2nd level (3 slots) hold person , magic weapon 3rd level (3 slots) dispel magic, elemental weapon 4th level (3 slots) banishment, staggering smite 5th level (2 slots) destructive wave (necrotic)

I want the separate lines just for formatting purposes and I cant get it work in separate lines. Any Suggestions?

Thanks

Zacchaeus
January 30th, 2016, 14:50
Hi Tivaam01,place \r before each line where you want a line break thus

Spellcasting. The death knight is a 19th-level spell caster. Its spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 18, +10 to hit with spell attacks). It has the following paladin spells prepared: \r1st level (4 slots) command, compelled duel, searing smite \r2nd level (3 slots) hold person , magic weapon \r3rd level (3 slots) dispel magic, elemental weapon \r4th level (3 slots) banishment, staggering smite \r5th level (2 slots) destructive wave (necrotic)

Tivaan01
January 30th, 2016, 21:29
Thanks Zacchaeus
Appreciate the help

Tivaan01
January 30th, 2016, 23:05
One more quick question is there a way to bold certain words in the text within a NPC Listing? For Example:

You create a vertical wall of whirling, razor-sharp blades made of magical energy. The wall appears within range and lasts for the duration. You can make a straight wall up to 100 feet tong, 20 feet high, and 5 feet thick, or a ringed wall up to 60 feet in diameter, 20 feet high, and 5 feet thick. The wall provides three-quarters cover to creatures behind it, and its space is difficult terrain. When a creature enters the wall's area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, the creature must make a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save. the creature takes 6d10 slashing damage. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage.

I would like to bold these words in the text:

DC 20 Dexterity saving throw
6d10 slashing damage

I tried the normal <b> </b> tags but they don't work

Also Can you add INNATE SPELLS like ACTIONS and make it a new category and show up in an NPC?

Thanks

damned
January 31st, 2016, 03:13
your <b></b> tags should work....

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2016, 10:15
Much as I hate to disagree with damned you can't do any kind of markup within an action description in an NPC - so no bolding or italic etc. Therefore you can't do what you would like to do in your example.

You can create any category you like in the Traits or Actions section which will show up in the NPC sheet. So you can create one called Innate Spellcasting. However I suspect this isn't exactly what you mean. Can you expand on what you want to do?

By the way I suggest that you change the wording of your example to as follows:

"the creature must make a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw taking 6d10 slashing damage or half as much damage on a successful saving throw."

By rewording like this the whole action will correctly appear on the Combat Tracker with all of the correct damage and also will only do half damage automatically against a successful save.

damned
January 31st, 2016, 11:14
Much as I hate to disagree with damned you can't do any kind of markup within an action description in an NPC - so no bolding or italic etc. Therefore you can't do what you would like to do in your example.

Failure to read the post properly strikes again.
My exposure to Par5e has not included NPCs and I forget their formatting options vary between data types....

Tivaan01
February 1st, 2016, 00:36
The bold, I kind of figured you couldn't.
As for the other question I mean, There is already a command in the NPC for ACTION, REACTION, etc by typing it in it creates a new section on the NPC. But I want to add a holder called INNATE SPELLS. I tried to simply type it in like ACTION but it doesn't recognize the different heading in the actually NPC, any suggestions.
If you look at the 5E SRD NPC file in Fantas Grounds that is free it shows a new category on the NPC called INNATE SPELLS.

Tivaan01
February 1st, 2016, 00:43
See Images for what I mean:
DD5E SRD Bestiary

My File

damned
February 1st, 2016, 01:00
Par5e is very speciic in what it is looking for. If it hasnt been programmed to look for X and do Y to it - it wont....

Zacchaeus
February 1st, 2016, 09:30
The bold, I kind of figured you couldn't.
As for the other question I mean, There is already a command in the NPC for ACTION, REACTION, etc by typing it in it creates a new section on the NPC. But I want to add a holder called INNATE SPELLS. I tried to simply type it in like ACTION but it doesn't recognize the different heading in the actually NPC, any suggestions.
If you look at the 5E SRD NPC file in Fantas Grounds that is free it shows a new category on the NPC called INNATE SPELLS.

Ah, I see. I'm afraid that isn't available in the public version of parse.

Tivaan01
February 4th, 2016, 16:53
I think i have an error and maybe its been reported but Dragon Tokens do not match up with the dragon npc.
Here is my listing: Dragon: Young Shadow
and the png file is listed as such: dragon_youngshadow

also tried: Young Shadow Dragon
youngshadowdragon

No good.

If I remove the token completely no errors and everything is fine including the actual entry, but no token attached to NPC
Any Suggestions?

I have tried many different combinations and it causes an error on another token. Once I remove the dragon token no issues with anything other than, no token for the dragon. I have also differnat tokes and differant formats png and jpeg. Any suggestions?

pauljmendoza
February 4th, 2016, 16:59
Hello, I managed to create a successful background via PAR5E last night, but the input options are different than the tutorial video, and I have not found this answer in the PDF's. I am wondering how one attaches a thumbnail now, there seems to be no input window to direct you to one. Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but there is far too many posts to go through :).

pauljmendoza
February 4th, 2016, 17:13
Going to try imput/images?

GunnarGreybeard
February 4th, 2016, 17:26
I believe it changed and the thumbnail.png file needs to go into the main module file.

pauljmendoza
February 4th, 2016, 17:52
Same folder as the .txt file?

Zacchaeus
February 4th, 2016, 18:00
Same folder as the .txt file?

No, put it on the same level as the input folder and it must be called Thumbnail.png and it must be a .png file.

GunnarGreybeard
February 4th, 2016, 18:03
In the main folder for the module you are creating, the same place as the .properties file.

pauljmendoza
February 4th, 2016, 18:05
Does input\images need to be checked?

Zacchaeus
February 4th, 2016, 18:06
I think i have an error and maybe its been reported but Dragon Tokens do not match up with the dragon npc.

youngshadowdragon

No good.

If I remove the token completely no errors and everything is fine including the actual entry, but no token attached to NPC
Any Suggestions?

I have tried many different combinations and it causes an error on another token. Once I remove the dragon token no issues with anything other than, no token for the dragon. I have also differnat tokes and differant formats png and jpeg. Any suggestions?

The problem (I suspect) is the colon after the name in your listing. Remove it and make sure that your token filename is all lower case with no spaces and if you have non alpha characters replace with _. So dragonyoungshadow.png

Tivaan01
February 4th, 2016, 18:06

youngshadowdragon

No good.

Any Suggestions?

I got it figured out

Zacchaeus
February 4th, 2016, 18:08
Does input\images need to be checked?

No, I don't think so.

Tivaan01
February 4th, 2016, 18:08
Thanks wasnt the colon it was the image somehow the image was corrupted in the program but still could be neiwed
thanks though

pauljmendoza
February 4th, 2016, 18:48
That worked just fine, thank you!

jshauber
February 4th, 2016, 21:41
I am having an issue with par5e and was wondering if anyone else has had the same thing and how you got past it.

My Par5e won't parse something and keeps hanging up even though someone else can par5e what I have done just fine....

Fighting the issue above right now for a group of NPCs. My par5e hangs up and won't finish, I sent it to Zacchaeus and he ran it just fine using the public version. So now I am trying to figure out why. I have uninstalled/reinstalled a couple times and have deleted property files and reset them a number of times.

I am only parsing NPCs, images and tokens. All the formatting is correct (since Z can parse it) and I am only checking the boxes needed under either CMP or REF and neither one works. As the parser runs, it shows that each individual entry (npc, image or token) is parsing just fine. At the end when it is going to create the module I get a message that the Tokens have FAILED and the program stops. Zacchaeus doesn't and sent me back a nice looking module that has tokens and images attached.

We have verified that we are running the same public version and he is using my files as sent with no changes, just opening par5e and running.

If anyone has a suggestion I am ready to try it as it makes no sense to me.

Zacchaeus
February 4th, 2016, 22:36
Ok, I may have diagnosed the problem.

Go into your output folder and delete the tokens file that you see in there. And now par5e.

Following your post above I loaded everything up again and the par5e failed at the copying tokens point. Indeed it failed at the same place with only one beastie and no images or tokens or even the images or tokens selected. After playing around some I deleted that file and it has par5ed. So it's worth a go.

I can't say why deleting this file should fix the problem but it apparently does. This would also explain why it par5ed for me since there was no file structure there to start with.

jshauber
February 5th, 2016, 03:18
Nope, still getting error message at copying module tokens.

Deleted the token folder from the output folder and restarted parse but still getting message.

damned
February 5th, 2016, 03:53
delete all the contents of output?

jshauber
February 5th, 2016, 04:02
delete all the contents of output?

That did it. Going to be adding more to the module (hoping to finish) this weekend. I'll see if it continues to parse or if I have to wipe out everything from the output folder again.

pauljmendoza
February 5th, 2016, 05:09
Question, is there a way to add in the optional Class Features - such as Primal Paths, Bard Colleges, Martial Archetypes, etc. Without having to PAR5e the entire class as well?

damned
February 5th, 2016, 05:13
Im pretty sure you cant. Not with any version of Par5e.

pauljmendoza
February 5th, 2016, 05:19
Ugh, thought as much.

pauljmendoza
February 6th, 2016, 02:46
Okay, made a Barbarian via PAR5E, if only to add an optional Primal Path. At first the options under the Primal Path were not showing up, but I discovered some :'s insted of ;'s. So once fixed it worked great. I am damn proud - and far less intimidated.

pauljmendoza
February 9th, 2016, 18:09
Okay, I made a background in the style of the Thule Narratives, these have more than one 'Feature' I guess you'd say, ones that unlock on 1st, 6th, and 10th levels. The entire background works, tables are fine, text appears, features are added to abilities, etc.

There are two things I am questioning here, one, is in the Par5e output, I get - Parse : background .................................................. .............. [Wanderer - WARNING], even though the whole thing works, players can load it, tables are fine and such. What does WARNING signify if a background module works fine?

Secondly, is there any way to keep all of the features from loading into Abilities right off. I'd like to not have the levels 6-10 drop onto the character sheet.

Lufeng
February 9th, 2016, 19:15
Hiya,

I'm new here and i have a question/problem, i par5ed the barbarian class, basically the same as yondar has his, it goes in fine, and does pretty much what it's supposed to, but when i create a character using it, the primal path shows up in the abilities, but doesn't allow you to actually choose a path, so i can go from 0-20 and only have "Primal Path" written in the ability section and non of the actually abilities from either Path of the Berserker or Path of the Totem Warrior. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zacchaeus
February 9th, 2016, 20:19
The public version of par5e doesn't have the archetype choosing facility built into it. You'll have to choose your path manually with a character created with par5e.

Eldin89
February 10th, 2016, 01:18
Hi,

This thread has been super helpful in answering most of my question, but I haven't yet found an answer to this one. I am currently trying to create a custom module with some of the stuff released in the Unearthed Arcana posts and am currently trying to do the variant Tiefling Abyssal Arcana table with direct links to the spells in each column. I am getting the feeling it might not be possible, but want to check. My code looks like this:

##;Abyssal Arcana
#!;What spells will you wake up with?
Table for the Abyssal Tiefling Abyssal Arcana ability
dice;d6
column;1st Level;3rd Level;5th Level
row;1;1;#zal:spell:Dancing Lights;#zal:spell:Burning Hands;#zal:spell:Alter Self
row;2;2;#zal:spell:True Strike;#zal:spell:Charm Person;#zal:spell:Darkness
row;3;3;#zal:spell:Light;#zal:spell:Magic Missile;#zal:spell:Invisibility
row;4;4;#zal:spell:Message;#zal:spell:Cure Wounds;#zal:spell:Levitate
row;5;5;#zal:spell:Spare the Dying;#zal:spell:Tasha's Hideous Laughter;#zal:spell:Mirror Image
row;6;6;#zal:spell:Prestidigitation;#zal:spell:Thu nderwave;#zal:spell:Spider Climb

The module is built without error, however when I open the table in FG all 3 columns are filled with the value from the first column. Any help would be great.

spite
February 10th, 2016, 05:28
Will par5e support parsing higher-than-20 classes? And will FG support content for that when you level a class up above 20?

Just want to come back to this and point out for anyone thinking of parsing higher-than-20 characters such as the Epic Options on the DMsGuild, par5e works perfectly fine following the format for levels above 20. I've just par5ed that pdf and it works like a dream, applies proficiencies, abilitys and all cool things just like normal.
Yay!

Zacchaeus
February 10th, 2016, 09:10
Hi,

This thread has been super helpful in answering most of my question, but I haven't yet found an answer to this one. I am currently trying to create a custom module with some of the stuff released in the Unearthed Arcana posts and am currently trying to do the variant Tiefling Abyssal Arcana table with direct links to the spells in each column. I am getting the feeling it might not be possible, but want to check. My code looks like this:

##;Abyssal Arcana
#!;What spells will you wake up with?
Table for the Abyssal Tiefling Abyssal Arcana ability
dice;d6
column;1st Level;3rd Level;5th Level
row;1;1;#zal:spell:Dancing Lights;#zal:spell:Burning Hands;#zal:spell:Alter Self
row;2;2;#zal:spell:True Strike;#zal:spell:Charm Person;#zal:spell:Darkness
row;3;3;#zal:spell:Light;#zal:spell:Magic Missile;#zal:spell:Invisibility
row;4;4;#zal:spell:Message;#zal:spell:Cure Wounds;#zal:spell:Levitate
row;5;5;#zal:spell:Spare the Dying;#zal:spell:Tasha's Hideous Laughter;#zal:spell:Mirror Image
row;6;6;#zal:spell:Prestidigitation;#zal:spell:Thu nderwave;#zal:spell:Spider Climb

The module is built without error, however when I open the table in FG all 3 columns are filled with the value from the first column. Any help would be great.
Welcome to FG and to the community.

As a first step replace all the colons ':' with semi colons ':'

Eldin89
February 10th, 2016, 09:25
Welcome to FG and to the community.

As a first step replace all the colons ':' with semi colons ':'

Thanks for the welcome! FG and PAR5E have turned into a very deep rabbits hole that I just keep crawling farther into.

When I switch the colons the table populates with the 1st column just being #zal, the 2nd being "spell", and the 3rd being the name of the spell for the first column. I used : instead of ; as that is what it says the markup should be in the 5E Users Manual. Any other ideas? Thanks for the assistance.

Apolala
February 10th, 2016, 09:55
Welcome!

It should be working as long as you have the module you've linked to open.
Just an idea, do you have a output category for the table? as in:

#@;Races
##;Abyssal Arcana
#!;From UA Dec 2015....

Eldin89
February 10th, 2016, 10:17
Welcome!

It should be working as long as you have the module you've linked to open.
Just an idea, do you have a output category for the table? as in:

#@;Races
##;Abyssal Arcana
#!;From UA Dec 2015....

Thanks for the welcome!

yeah, the module it should be linking to is the PHB which is open, and yes I have a category of #@;Racial

I believe the issue isn't with the linking but with the syntax of the table. In FG each column/row has a functioning link to whatever is supposed to be only in column 1. Aka all three columns of row 1 are populated with functioning Dancing Lights spell links, each column of row 2 is populated with functioning links to True strike. I am starting to think you can only have a single column if you use a link. Even if I remove the links from the second 2 columns and just put regular text the columns still populate with the links of the first column. I hope someone knows a solution to this, if not I will need to split the table into 3 separate tables.

Zacchaeus
February 10th, 2016, 11:40
Thanks for the welcome! FG and PAR5E have turned into a very deep rabbits hole that I just keep crawling farther into.

When I switch the colons the table populates with the 1st column just being #zal, the 2nd being "spell", and the 3rd being the name of the spell for the first column. I used : instead of ; as that is what it says the markup should be in the 5E Users Manual. Any other ideas? Thanks for the assistance.

My apologies, I didn't read your post correctly at all. The problem is I think that you can't have more than one link in any one row. In order to do what you are doing prepare three tables with the spells and then have a 4th that you roll on which links to each of those three.

LordValerius
February 10th, 2016, 13:37
Greetings,

Just started working with Par5e the other day, after watching Xorn's vids, understand most stuff, not super difficult to follow, but it sure is a cranky old crone. For the life of me I cannot figure this one out..I am trying to create a simple npcs.txt...It seems to me to be identical to the guide and Xorn's video...However, and it is most likely something I am misunderstanding and is probably stupid simple, but I keep getting the following errors when parsing:

Parse : npc .................................................. ........................ [Goblin - WARNING]
Parse : npc .................................................. ................. [Goblin Archer - WARNING]

Text follows:

Goblin
Small humanoid (goblinoid), neutral evil
Armor Class 15 (leather armor, shield)
Hit Points 7 (2d6)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA 8 (-1) 14 (+2) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 8 (-1) 8 (-1)
Skills Stealth +6
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 9
Languages Common, Goblin
Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
Nimble Escape. The goblin can take the Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action on each of its turns.
ACTIONS
Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (ld6 + 2) slashing damage.
Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 80 ft./320 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.

Goblin Archer
Small humanoid (goblinoid), neutral evil
Armor Class 15 (leather armor, shield)
Hit Points 7 (2d6)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA 8 (-1) 14 (+2) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 8 (-1) 8 (-1)
Skills Stealth +6
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 9
Languages Common, Goblin
Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
Nimble Escape. The goblin can take the Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action on each of its turns.
ACTIONS
Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (ld6 + 2) slashing damage.
Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 80 ft./320 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.

Everything else I am parsing at the same time is completing in the green, including the encounters.txt which includes these two npcs. I have little hair left, so if anyone can spot my error and educate me, I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you.
LordV

Zacchaeus
February 10th, 2016, 13:59
Hi LordValeius.

Those are both fine and par5e correctly for me. Looks like the error lies elsewhere.

Try just parsing those two npcs on their own and then add in other bits until you get the error again; that'll tell you where to look.

Eldin89
February 10th, 2016, 18:57
My apologies, I didn't read your post correctly at all. The problem is I think that you can't have more than one link in any one row. In order to do what you are doing prepare three tables with the spells and then have a 4th that you roll on which links to each of those three.

Thanks none the less Zachaeus. Now at least I know my suspected solution is the best.

LordValerius
February 10th, 2016, 19:31
Hi LordValeius.

Those are both fine and par5e correctly for me. Looks like the error lies elsewhere.

Try just parsing those two npcs on their own and then add in other bits until you get the error again; that'll tell you where to look.

Hey Zacchaeus,

Thanks for the response...Oddly enough, it happens to me when just parsing those 2 npcs and nothing else....story.txt and encounters.txt seem to load fine on their own, but npcs.txt errors out as above with the same two entries as above.

Edit: Found the error...Double spacing between the stat names and numbers. Thanks for the help!

Zacchaeus
February 10th, 2016, 20:41
Hey Zacchaeus,

Thanks for the response...Oddly enough, it happens to me when just parsing those 2 npcs and nothing else....story.txt and encounters.txt seem to load fine on their own, but npcs.txt errors out as above with the same two entries as above.

Edit: Found the error...Double spacing between the stat names and numbers. Thanks for the help!

Ah, jolly good. The double space must have not copy pasted into my Notepad txt file, hence the reason it par5ed for me.

FSHSchmo
February 10th, 2016, 23:39
Also noticed this --

The ld6 + 2 should be 1d6 + 2

spite
February 11th, 2016, 02:19
Ugh didnt notice it was already said above heh.

kp9911
February 11th, 2016, 17:47
I was on the steam discussion board with regards to some queries for par5e and dammed directed me to cover over here (kay9912)

My question is this, is it possible to have the "Pop ups" for the archetypes of the classes via par5e, I was informed that its available in the PHB but not in par5e?

If not, does anyone know what needs to be done or whether it needs to be coded in or something?

Zacchaeus
February 11th, 2016, 18:26
Hi kp9911 and welcome to FG and to the community.

That archetype popup isn't available in the public version of par5e.

kp9911
February 11th, 2016, 18:38
Hi kp9911 and welcome to FG and to the community.

That archetype popup isn't available in the public version of par5e.

Ah yes, this was already mentioned to me, was just wondering if anyone has managed to code it in. Being a dev myself IRL, I thought I could try a crack at it, however I don't know where to start right now :v

I guess I'll figure it out eventually, right now rather happy since I managed to get my hands on an ultimate! Sheer doom awaits my friends over the course of the next few weeks... Muahahahhaa

Zacchaeus
February 11th, 2016, 19:44
Since par5e is copyright I don't think that's an option.

If you have the PHB and have a module you've par5ed open at the same time with archetypes that you have created that aren't in the PHB then I believe that it will allow you to choose from any of the archetypes. I don't know if that might also work with the SRD.

spite
February 11th, 2016, 22:22
Quick question, and one I am hoping the answer isn't "not available on the public version"

Is there a way to make my tables behave the same was the PHB? For example, when making the class tables, each box will stretch equally when the window size increases/decreases regardless of the content, whereas the PHB has the boxes only stretch as far as the content requires.
Case in point, warlock eldritch blast tables
PHB, you'll see the boxes are smaller except for the description box
http://puu.sh/n4tms/3cccba1c32.jpg
Mine, you'll see the boxes are all the same size, wasting valuable real estate.
http://puu.sh/n4tkg/f94e0d25b8.jpg

Eldin89
February 12th, 2016, 03:36
Hi again, I have looked through LordV's post and the responses he has gotten, as well as Xorns vid & the users guide but can't seem to figure out why my NPC isn't par5eing.

Storm Elemental
Large elemental, neutral
Armor Class 14
Hit Points 90 (12d10 + 24)
Speed 0ft., fly 90ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
14 (+2) 18 (+4) 14 (+2) 6 (-2) 10 (+0) 6 (-2)
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities lightning, thunder, poison
Condition Immunities exhaustion, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained, unconscious
Senses darkvision 60ft., passive Perception 10
Languages Auran
Challenge 5 (1800 XP)
Storm Form. The elemental can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing. A creature that touches the elemental or hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it takes 5 (1d10) lightning damage. In addition, the elemental can enter a hostile creature's space and stop there. The first time it enters a creature's space on a turn, that creature takes 5 (1d10) lightning damage and must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw. On a failure, the target is paralyzed until the elementals next turn, or it no longer occupies the same space as the elemental.
Illumination. The elemental sheds bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light in an additional 10-feet.
ACTIONS
Multiattack. The elemental makes two jolt attacks.
Jolt. Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 10ft, one target. Hit: 11(2d6+4) lightning damage. If the target is a creature it must make a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be stunned for 1 round.
##;
Vaguely humanoid in shape, these dark billowing clouds are shot through with jolts of electricity. A storm elemental can only be described as natures vengeance personified. Like the storms they resemble, destruction can be found in their wake; although those respectful of nature are never touched. As swiftly as it appears, so it goes.

This is the only npc in the file and I have checked my spacing for the ability scores (2 space between scores, 1 between score & modifier, not sure if actually needed). It still gives me a warning.

Thanks for any help.

spite
February 12th, 2016, 04:00
Hi again, I have looked through LordV's post and the responses he has gotten, as well as Xorns vid & the users guide but can't seem to figure out why my NPC isn't par5eing.

Storm Elemental
Large elemental, neutral
Armor Class 14
Hit Points 90 (12d10 + 24)
Speed 0ft., fly 90ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
14 (+2) 18 (+4) 14 (+2) 6 (-2) 10 (+0) 6 (-2)
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities lightning, thunder, poison
Condition Immunities exhaustion, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained, unconscious
Senses darkvision 60ft., passive Perception 10
Languages Auran
Challenge 5 (1800 XP)
Storm Form. The elemental can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing. A creature that touches the elemental or hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it takes 5 (1d10) lightning damage. In addition, the elemental can enter a hostile creature's space and stop there. The first time it enters a creature's space on a turn, that creature takes 5 (1d10) lightning damage and must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw. On a failure, the target is paralyzed until the elementals next turn, or it no longer occupies the same space as the elemental.
Illumination. The elemental sheds bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light in an additional 10-feet.
ACTIONS
Multiattack. The elemental makes two jolt attacks.
Jolt. Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 10ft, one target. Hit: 11(2d6+4) lightning damage. If the target is a creature it must make a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be stunned for 1 round.
##;
Vaguely humanoid in shape, these dark billowing clouds are shot through with jolts of electricity. A storm elemental can only be described as natures vengeance personified. Like the storms they resemble, destruction can be found in their wake; although those respectful of nature are never touched. As swiftly as it appears, so it goes.

This is the only npc in the file and I have checked my spacing for the ability scores (2 space between scores, 1 between score & modifier, not sure if actually needed). It still gives me a warning.

Thanks for any help.

Couple things that have given me issue before, the speed can sometimes bitch if you dont have a space between the numbers and the ft.

IE: 30 ft. instead of 30ft.

Also, try a comma with the 1,800 EXP instead of 1800

kp9911
February 12th, 2016, 06:31
Since par5e is copyright I don't think that's an option.

If you have the PHB and have a module you've par5ed open at the same time with archetypes that you have created that aren't in the PHB then I believe that it will allow you to choose from any of the archetypes. I don't know if that might also work with the SRD.

Oh no, don't get me wrong I'm not going to do anything to Zeus's work. What he has already done is amazing! I'm just probably going to tinker a bit with the rule sets or make some extension if the software allows, was just wondering if I could get a good place to start looking :v

I did purchase the Basic Rules as I wanted that amazing theme! However the pop ups do not work with it, so no idea at the moment.

EDIT: Now that you mentioned the SRD, it did not even strike me to check what came when I got the ultimate licence lol..
I will have a look at the SRD and get back later once I am done with work.

EDIT 2: There seems to have been some updates to the SRD as of today, the pop ups for the archetypes work as well! Thank you so much devs!

Zacchaeus
February 12th, 2016, 10:15
Quick question, and one I am hoping the answer isn't "not available on the public version"

Is there a way to make my tables behave the same was the PHB? For example, when making the class tables, each box will stretch equally when the window size increases/decreases regardless of the content, whereas the PHB has the boxes only stretch as far as the content requires.

To be honest I've never noticed this but there does seem to be a difference looking at the screenshots you posted. Looking at the text files there's no difference to the markup for tables in the non-public version; no secret codes or anything. However I wonder if you have done all that in the one table. The way it's done in the PHB is that each individual entry is a new table So:
#ts;
#th; headings
#tr;Agonising Blast
#te;
#ts;
#tr;Armor of Shadows
#te;
etc

I think it's been done that way to accommodate the links to the various spells etc within the table in the PHB; otherwise you can't make a link in a table row. It may be as a consequence the table then stretches; I'm not terrible sure. Any tables that I have parsed recently are evenly spaced such as the one you posted in the screenshot.

spite
February 12th, 2016, 10:21
To be honest I've never noticed this but there does seem to be a difference looking at the screenshots you posted. Looking at the text files there's no difference to the markup for tables in the non-public version; no secret codes or anything. However I wonder if you have done all that in the one table. The way it's done in the PHB is that each individual entry is a new table So:
#ts;
#th; headings
#tr;Agonising Blast
#te;
#ts;
#tr;Armor of Shadows
#te;
etc

I think it's been done that way to accommodate the links to the various spells etc within the table in the PHB; otherwise you can't make a link in a table row. It may be as a consequence the table then stretches; I'm not terrible sure. Any tables that I have parsed recently are evenly spaced such as the one you posted in the screenshot.

I'll give it a try that way, as I have made it one table broken up by the zal links, I'll see how it goes.
Cheers man!

Zacchaeus
February 12th, 2016, 10:21

Thanks for any help.

Indeed, as spite says leave a space between the distances so Speed 0 ft., fly 90 ft. will par5e. Also make sure you have no double spaces anywhere (you have a few). Do a replace for " " and replace with " " (without the quotes).

kp9911
February 12th, 2016, 14:03
@Zacchaeus, Just had a look and the pop ups do not feature in the SRD. I think Ill need to learn now they work with the skills part of it and perhaps reinvent its mechanics.

Eldin89
February 13th, 2016, 01:29
Thank you spite & Zacchaeus, I was able to figure it out with you help. Don't know if it was the speed, or extra spaces but it is working now.

kp9911
February 13th, 2016, 06:07
So I've reached the warrior class and have come up against a wall with regards to the Maneuvers.

After going through the forums, I have an idea for doing the following

1) Mark them with the #abf; tag within the ability class so that it would enable drag and drop
2) Just mark them as text as my players would need to manually check them

or idk if possible since I have not gotten this to work...

3) Make a section in the references and link it. Problem is I cannot figure out how to really link a section of the reference. This reference section would be ideal since it currently looks like this http://i.imgur.com/NuZvocC.png
Would anyone know how to link reference entries like this?

Zacchaeus
February 13th, 2016, 12:13
Manoeuvres can't be drag/dropped. The problem you have is that there's a choice involved and the public version of par5e won't handle choices like this (only skills).

I'm not terribly sure what you can and can't reference in the public version of par5e but as you can see from the user manual there is a markup called referencetext which can be used with #zl; or #zal;. So you could give #zl;referencetext;yourreferencetextnamehere and see what happens.

spite
February 14th, 2016, 07:08
I have a bit of a random question.
I am attempting to create a working FG version of the Engineer class I got off of the DMs guild.
Now, the thing is, the Engineer doesnt use spells, per say, he uses Gadgets.
I know you can't par5e things that dont fit specific parameters for spells and spell lists etc, but I thought maybe if I added them as Reference texts I could link them from the character sheet similar to how you link specific spells or images. However, using
#zls;
#zal(or zl;);referencetext;3D Sunglasses;3D Sunglasses
#zle

For example, doesn't seem to work. The text in fact disappears from the character sheet and there is no link.
I have a section in the reference list http://puu.sh/n7jGR/a01e4e321c.jpg that looks like that, and thought that would be enough to link to.

Can what I am attempting work? Is there a way to so this instead?

Halp! Gods of DnD FG!

Zacchaeus
February 14th, 2016, 10:29
I suspect that the only way that you are going to achieve what you want to do is to hack into the xml.

The public version of par5e doesn't support any markup which allows the linking to a reference manual. In order to link to a specific reference manual page you need to know the reference manual page number. You can find this in the xml. Open the db.xml and find the bit that starts <refmanualdata> and you'll see there the various <recornames> in the format [email protected] lename.

In order to reference that you'll need to create a link like this <link class="referencetext" recordname="[email protected] ulename">3D Goggles</link>

Such a link will need to be somewhere in the PC description. I haven't tested that so I'm not sure exactly where you could put it, but the actions tab seems like the place.

kp9911
February 15th, 2016, 08:21
@Zacchaeus, I tried to link reference doc information via #zl;referencetext;<name>
However after parsing, it does not seem to add any XML tags with regards to that linking, I'm wondering if this functionality was ever coded in par5e or I am just not using it in the right way.

I tried to manually link it by opening the reference docs and drag/drop it into the features/skills/abilities in game and it worked. After looking at the XML, I could see a clear entry of new XML tags which looked exactly like your reply post to spite.

So here then another question, is it possible to add the XML tags directly in the input of par5e or can you append the additional XML tags to the output only after it is done parsing. Currently you cannot just drop in "<>" tags since you would get a malformed error while parsing.

I have already tried something along the lines of &lt; and &gt; however after parsing all I got was &lt and &gt which are indeed the escape chars only of < and >

Zacchaeus
February 15th, 2016, 11:00
@Zacchaeus, I tried to link reference doc information via #zl;referencetext;<name>
However after parsing, it does not seem to add any XML tags with regards to that linking, I'm wondering if this functionality was ever coded in par5e or I am just not using it in the right way.

I tried to manually link it by opening the reference docs and drag/drop it into the features/skills/abilities in game and it worked. After looking at the XML, I could see a clear entry of new XML tags which looked exactly like your reply post to spite.

So here then another question, is it possible to add the XML tags directly in the input of par5e or can you append the additional XML tags to the output only after it is done parsing. Currently you cannot just drop in "<>" tags since you would get a malformed error while parsing.

I have already tried something along the lines of &lt; and &gt; however after parsing all I got was &lt and &gt which are indeed the escape chars only of < and >

As I said above the public version of par5e doesn't support reference linking and you can't add anything like an xml link before you par5e as you have found out. The only way I can think of is to go into the .xml and add your links in there.

kp9911
February 15th, 2016, 13:16
As I said above the public version of par5e doesn't support reference linking and you can't add anything like an xml link before you par5e as you have found out. The only way I can think of is to go into the .xml and add your links in there.

Okay thanks a ton for the confirmation.

I think I'll just be appending keywords that are unique and then just mass replacing them with the xml tags after its compiled.

LordValerius
February 16th, 2016, 00:39
Hey all,

Things have been going fairly smoothly since my last post, however, I have stumbled into something that is driving me nuts...I have been parsing images just fine, but all of a sudden, for one of my Player maps, I just get a black screen. I am par5ing LMoP for myself and I usually add both a Player and a DM map image. Have not had any issues with them up til now...One thing I noticed when it first happened, was that I had fat-fingered the name of the player map on the jpg itself, and left out one character of the name, but the name was correct in my story.txt. Interestingly enough, it seemed to par5e it, but I got the black screen.

I have since corrected the spelling error..re-par5ed, nada. I have deleted both files and re-added them to the images directory, removed them from the module in FG, nada. Black screen. I am pretty sure it's on me, but I can't figure out where, having triple checked the spelling, location, etc. Par5e reports it as - ok, with the correct spelling, punctuation, etc.

Also, is it just me being a noob, or is it odd that my campaign directory never shows any images in it? Are they stored elsewhere when Par5ing or...? I notice them in both images directories in Input and Output. And I do have Par5e updating directly to my FG directory.

Sorry for the noob questions, but figure someone might save me from having a coronary.

Thanks!
LordV

zeracool2k
February 16th, 2016, 01:04
LordValerius, sometimes the "blackness" is the image's fault. It happened to me with a token, it showed fine on my image viewer, but was corrupted.

Try adding the map directly through FG, using the "images" tab. If it still shows black, then you'll have to re-download it (or re-draw it), and let us know if it worked.

LordValerius
February 16th, 2016, 01:20
LordValerius, sometimes the "blackness" is the image's fault. It happened to me with a token, it showed fine on my image viewer, but was corrupted.

Try adding the map directly through FG, using the "images" tab. If it still shows black, then you'll have to re-download it (or re-draw it), and let us know if it worked.

Will do...Also, is it possible to have more than one "named" NPC of the same "type" in an Encounter, ie. 1;Commoner;Bruce; - 1;Commoner;Jack; - 1;Commoner;Steve;, etc.? It doesn't seem like it to me, as only 1 of the three I have listed in my encounter is loading into FG. I do have individual tokens named appropriately. If the answer is yes, then how is the syntax written? If the answer is no...argh. LOL

Will let you know on the image. Edit: I am able to use the same image and manually load it into FG in the Images & Maps section and it shows...It also places a copy of the jpg file in the campaign\images folder and it's the only one there, none of my other ones are there..even though they are in when I par5e them and they show in FG. It also does not show that it is part of the module I am working on (doesn't have the little book icon next to it) - perhaps I am just misunderstanding that part of Par5e and how it works?

Thanks!
LordV

Zacchaeus
February 16th, 2016, 08:59
LordValerius. You'll find the images in the output folder in par5e. If you have a problem with an image delete or rename the output folder and reparse.

If you want more than one of an NPC type then you'll need to make separate NPCs for each of them/ So Bruce, Jack and Steve will be separate PCs. You can't do what you are trying to do. You can do it in FG just by copying the NPC and giving it a new name, but if you are doing it in rar5e you'll need three individuals.

LordValerius
February 16th, 2016, 11:47
Thanks Zacchaeus,

I had a feeling that was the case with the NPCs...As far as the image I was having an issue with, I was able to resolve it by renaming the file to a shorter version of it, ie. RedbrandHideoutPlayer.jpg to RedbrandHideoutPl.jpg...Deleting the output folder, etc. did not work, only renaming the file, so Par5e must not have liked the length of the name maybe? Either way, issue resolved for the moment.

Thanks for the response.
LordV

Zacchaeus
February 16th, 2016, 14:47
No, I don't think there's a limit to the file name length. Not sure what was going wrong there but it does sound like some kind of corruption.

LordValerius
February 16th, 2016, 20:00
You are correct about the file length/amount of characters, as I checked it against other file names currently in use. However, if it was corrupted, it was fixed by simply re-typing the name, which is odd, but issue is resolved, so thanks for your attention.

LordV

jshauber
February 16th, 2016, 21:49
One thing about the par5er is that it will act strangely for no apparent reason.

I am currently not getting images for some NPCs in a module but others are showing up just fine. Names are correct, formatting is correct, but some pictures show up, others don't.

Not sweating it at this point as I want to finish building the module since I am so close to being done. I'll then go back and try some "tricks" to see if I can get them show up correctly.

LordValerius
February 19th, 2016, 01:27
Back again!!

Can you not replace tokens once they've been par5ed to FG? I changed my mind on the specific token I wanted to use, so I named it the same and overwrote the token in the token folder and now Par5e is puking when it gets to those tokens.

Thanks!
LordV

spite
February 19th, 2016, 03:25
Try deleting the output folder and par5eing again, I find that often helps token and image based hiccups.

zeracool2k
February 19th, 2016, 03:36
I think LordValerius is writing about changing tokens manually post-par5e, i.e. replacing a token you don't like for another with the same name on the tokens folder while running FG.

If that is the case, in my experience "overwriting" a token is like creating a new one, even if they have the same name. I believe this is due to id's assigned to the images within FG, but can't confirm it.

I used to change tokens a lot, and everytime I did, they had to be reassigned.

Zacchaeus
February 19th, 2016, 09:14
Back again!!

Can you not replace tokens once they've been par5ed to FG? I changed my mind on the specific token I wanted to use, so I named it the same and overwrote the token in the token folder and now Par5e is puking when it gets to those tokens.

Thanks!
LordV

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you have a token named name.png and par5e it and then later change that token for another one also named name.png and then repa5e it will par5e fine. If it doesn't then as was said above delete the output folder should fix any issues.

After the creature has been created within par5e then that token is assigned to that creature. You can't at that point start messing with the token otherwise you will get an error since that is effectively a new token and FG won't be able to find it. If you want to change a token in that way then make a copy of the creature and change the token by drag/drop in the usual way. You can then export the new creature.

It's far easier however to just repar5e the initial file with all the new tokens.

Does this actually answer your question; or did you mean to ask something else?

LordValerius
February 19th, 2016, 22:19
I think LordValerius is writing about changing tokens manually post-par5e, i.e. replacing a token you don't like for another with the same name on the tokens folder while running FG.

If that is the case, in my experience "overwriting" a token is like creating a new one, even if they have the same name. I believe this is due to id's assigned to the images within FG, but can't confirm it.

I used to change tokens a lot, and everytime I did, they had to be reassigned.

Correct and I believe I have sorted it out. Thank you.

LordV

LordValerius
February 20th, 2016, 02:13
I'm not sure I understand the question. If you have a token named name.png and par5e it and then later change that token for another one also named name.png and then repa5e it will par5e fine. If it doesn't then as was said above delete the output folder should fix any issues.

After the creature has been created within par5e then that token is assigned to that creature. You can't at that point start messing with the token otherwise you will get an error since that is effectively a new token and FG won't be able to find it. If you want to change a token in that way then make a copy of the creature and change the token by drag/drop in the usual way. You can then export the new creature.

It's far easier however to just repar5e the initial file with all the new tokens.

Does this actually answer your question; or did you mean to ask something else?

Actually, this was my fault, as I tend to not notice the obvious a lot of times. The issue was actually with npcs.txt and I was not looking close enough at the par5e console. My apologies...Will try to troubleshoot harder before posting nonsense.

Thanks for the help...Appreciated.

LordV

kp9911
February 20th, 2016, 06:38
Quick question how can you get '(' and ')' to actually parse and get it into a module, currently every ( and ) do not show up in the module after its done parsing.

I tried searching on the forums however its a nightmare since there are a lot of ( and ) in the forums lol.

Zacchaeus
February 20th, 2016, 08:48
There may not be a way. I don't know all of the technicalities but not every character will post over from the text file into an FG file. This is because of some limits in the way par5e encodes characters and the standard (ISO-8859-1) character set used by FG.

Jinnsen
February 20th, 2016, 16:41
Hello all, I normally wouldn't ask for help, but I am truly miffed. My par5e is getting stuck on the "making: Windowlist". I've narrowed the problem to the bard class section, but from there I am lost. I've looked though these forums for answers and followed all the advise that applies with no luck.
I appreciate any help that may come my way.

Edit: Nevermind I found my problem. It was a simple mistake as usual. Used ; to split the lvls of an ability instead of , .

I.E: #fe;Magical Secrets;10;14;18 vs #fe;Magical Secrets;10,14,18

rob2e
February 20th, 2016, 18:06
I have have been avoiding par5e (due to paralyzing fear of not knowing how to use it), however I do have a question regarding it's function as such...

I am writing my own original campaign world for 5E within FG. When this is completed, gods know when, can I use par5e to REVERSE ENGINEER a PDF of my .mod file?

kp9911
February 20th, 2016, 18:42
There may not be a way. I don't know all of the technicalities but not every character will post over from the text file into an FG file. This is because of some limits in the way par5e encodes characters and the standard (ISO-8859-1) character set used by FG.

Thanks Zacchaeus, will look to see hows its done since its available in the SRD, so there has gotta be a way :D

Another thing which does not seem to have been answered properly, how do you create equipment packs. I have seen it masked on these forums many times, however they were never answered. Does anyone know?

Zacchaeus
February 20th, 2016, 19:06
I have have been avoiding par5e (due to paralyzing fear of not knowing how to use it), however I do have a question regarding it's function as such...

I am writing my own original campaign world for 5E within FG. When this is completed, gods know when, can I use par5e to REVERSE ENGINEER a PDF of my .mod file?

I think the answer to that would be 'depends on your skillz'. I have no idea since I know nothing about such things but there does exist a character printing thingie which essentially takes an .xml character file and converts that into a printable pdf. However exactly how you achieve such magic I have no idea. Taking a .mod file and doning the same thing would not be an easy task I fear.

Zacchaeus
February 20th, 2016, 19:21
Another thing which does not seem to have been answered properly, how do you create equipment packs. I have seen it masked on these forums many times, however they were never answered. Does anyone know?

At the end of the list of equipment item descriptions add a line such as:

Burglar's Pack. Includes a backpack, a bag of 1,000 ball bearings, 10 feet of string, a bell, 5 candles, a crowbar, a hammer, 10 pitons, a hooded lantern, 2 flasks of oil, 5 days of rations, a tinderbox, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.

Then below that add the following:

#si;Backpack (empty);1 Ball bearings (1,000);1 String (10 feet);Bell;5 Candle;Crowbar;Hammer;10 Piton;Lantern, hooded;2 Oil (flask);5 Rations (1 day);Tinderbox;Waterskin;Rope, hempen (50 feet);

kp9911
February 21st, 2016, 03:17
Awesome! Thanks!

LordValerius
February 21st, 2016, 14:25
Warning! More noob questions ahead!

Ok, so I have been learning Par5e via Xorn's videos and the manuals...Granted, I admit I am quick to jump to conclusions instead of investigating the issue at hand..I am getting better at this and really don't like having to come here to ask for help, but I am having a couple issues and questions that are hopefully easy to understand and answer.

I have been going back and forth (by this I mean, insuring I have syntax correct (via vids and manuals)) with a couple of thorns in my side. For some odd reason, I am having issues with various tokens that (even with a fresh start on module) will not for the life of me assign correctly, even though Par5e is stating they are assigning correctly. I have named them correctly, syntaxed them correctly, deleted output folder a number of times, insured I have 1 token for the base npc and 1 named correctly for the named npc of the same type (ie; the wolf, Ripper from LMoP) and Redbrand Ruffians from the module of the same name. For some reason, even on a new instance of creating the module, these particular tokens will not assign (even though Par5e says they are ok) to the npcs. When I check on them in FG, they are in the encounters I have created, but tokenless. I CAN add them manually, which I will do if I can't resolve this issue, but was curious if anyone may know why these particular ones are having issues, without fail, every time. I have not tried a different token, so perhaps that is my next move.

Next up, and this may be on my somewhat new, limited experience with Par5e...but I am running into an odd issue with equipment items and their descriptions. I know Xorn's videos are older and perhaps this is something that has changed since he did his videos. In his videos, he puts items he is creating into the equipment.txt file and lists each item sequentially with pertinent info (name;value;weight) and then below all that, he puts a description line of text for each item above. I assumed these would par5e into the item itself, but mine don't seem to be doing that. On a fresh par5e into a new module, the items show in the parcels and equipment lists, but with just the 3 bits of info for them, not the descriptions. If this feature is not correct or has since been changed, I don't want to waste my time entering it into Par5e, just to have to manually enter it into each item later.

It also par5es the info oddly, such as info showing up under the wrong field (ie; Subtype (Scroll) ending up in Type (I would assume Type should be Magic Item, but I have never seen that happen)) and Rarity (uncommon) ending up in the Cost field. If any of this sounds familiar to anyone, please enlighten me, I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks for all your wisdom and help guys!
LordV

Zacchaeus
February 21st, 2016, 16:10
The first problem sounds to me like your module isn't getting built. Look at the console and the last thing that it should say is Build: module. If it doesn't say that then the module isn't getting properly built indicating that there is a problem somewhere with the par5ing (even though it looks like everything is par5ing it isn't). If it is building the module then, again despite everything appearing to par5e, there is a problem. All you can do is test little bits at a time in the time honoured fashion. i.e. take everything away, par5e one NPC with one token and nothing else and see if it works. Then add another and so on until you identify the problem.

You are correct in that equipment descriptions should follow on from the lists and those descriptions will get picked up in the par5e. Now I did see someone back up in another post where par5e was only recognising the first 3 bits of info and I never did manage to diagnose his problem. I have just tried the public version of par5e with one of my old equipment lists and it par5es fine with all the descriptions and all of the information, even those with more than 3 bits of info. So once again you have a problem somewhere and it's difficult to say where exactly that would be but again the solution is to try any par5e just one item and then add more etc.

Varsuuk
February 21st, 2016, 17:18
Have to fix son's PC stuck at Post, and work on Den for wife ;) So... pardon if a better search might point this out (tried google but mostly got this thread and ... time is limited)

I was going through Xorn's video, picking the Elemental Evil backgrounds as my first test of Backgrounds. I know that tables are not correct (since I am following it as recorded even though I already saw past where he fixes it ;) ) but I am getting WARNINGS as below:
Info : module .................................................. ............... [DDEX2 - Elemental Evil]
Parse : background .................................................. .... [Caravan Specialist - WARNING]
Parse : background .................................................. ....... [Earthspur Miner - WARNING]
Parse : background .................................................. ............ [Harborfolk - WARNING]
Parse : background .................................................. .. [Mulmaster Aristocrat - WARNING]
Parse : background .................................................. ......... [Phlan Refugee - WARNING]
Parse : backgrounds .................................................. ....................... [Completed]
Make : backgrounds windowlists .................................................. ........... [Completed]
Make : backgrounds (reference) .................................................. ........... [Completed]
Make : module xml data .................................................. ................... [Completed]
Make : archive data .................................................. ...................... [Completed]
Make : module xml library entries .................................................. ........ [Completed]
Write : module xml data .................................................. ................... [Completed]
Write : module xml syntax .................................................. ............... [Well Formed]
Write : module xml definition .................................................. ............. [Completed]
Write : copying module images .................................................. ............. [Completed]
Write : copying module tokens .................................................. ............. [Completed]
Write : copying module thumbnail .................................................. .......... [Completed]
Cook : module archive .................................................. .................... [Completed]
Build : module .................................................. ............................ [Completed]

Question: Where do I find WHAT is being warned about? Is there some log or console output? (I am a 20+ year C++ engineer and can read Java well enough, so if must, will download code and look at what outputs that ;) ) Figure if it says what it is warning, my eyes will stop seeing what I expect and see the typing/format error I put in the text.

I'll include just one of the backgrounds to keep it simple. But if you can tell me where the WARNING details are saved, I can figure this out myself.

##;Caravan Specialist
You are used to life on the road. You pride yourself at having traveled every major tradeway in the Moonsea region, includ- ing the best backroads and shortcuts. When traveling these roads, you know where the best inns, campsites, and water sources are located, as well as potential locations of danger such as ambush. Having worked the roads as long as you have, you have made many aquaintences and find it easy to pick up information and rumors floating from town to town. You are skilled with beasts of burden and handling and repairing wagons of all kinds.
Lifestyle: Poor
Skill Proficiencies: Animal Handling, Survival
Tool Proficiencies: Land Vehicles
Languages: One of your choice
Equipment: A whip, a tent, a regional map, a set of traveling clothes, and a belt pouch containing 10 gp
Feature: Wagonmaster
You are used to being in charge of the operation and your reputation for reliability has you on a short list when the job is critical. Experience has taught you to rely on your gut. Others recognize this and look to you for direction when a situation gets serious. You are able to identify the most defensible loca- tions for camping. If you are part of a caravan outfit, you are able to attract two additional workers that are loyal to you based on your reputation. You have an excellent memory for maps and geography and can always determine your cardinal directions while traveling.
[Note: This feature is a variant of the Outlander feature.]

d8 Personality Trait
1 Any group is only as strong as its weakest link. Everyone has to pull their own weight.
2 There's always someone out there trying to take what I've got. Always be vigilent.
3 Anything can be learned if you have the right teacher. Most folks just need a chance.
4 Early to bed and early to rise; this much at least is under my control.
5 You can listen to me or don't and wish you had. Everyone ends up on one side of that fence.
6 Eventually my hard work will be rewarded. Maybe that time has finally come.
7 A strong ox or horse is more reliable than most people I've met.
8 I never had time for books, but wish I had. I admire folks who have taken the time to learn.

d6 Ideal
1 Service: Using my talents to help others is the best way of helping myself. (Good)
2 Selfish: What people don't know WILL hurt them, but why is that my problem? (Evil)
3 Wanderer: I go where the road takes me. Sometimes that's a good thing… (Chaotic)
4 Fittest: On the open road, the law of nature wins. Victims are the unprepared. (Lawful)
5 Focused: I simply have a job to do, and I'm going to do it. (Neutral)
6 Motivated: There's a reason I'm good at what I do, I pay attention to the details. (Any)

d6 Bond
1 My brother has a farm In Elmwood and I've helped him and his neigbors move their goods to Mulmaster and other surrounding towns. Those are good people.
2 A caravan I lead was attacked by bandits and many innocents died. I swear that I will avenge them by killing any bandits I encounter.
3 The Soldiery are mostly good guys who understand the importance of protecting the roads. The City Watch is who you have to look out for. If they are inspecting your goods, get ready to pay a fine.
4 The new commander of Southroad Tower, Capt. Holke, understands the importance of safe roads. He's hired me for several jobs and I'm grateful.
5 There's always a road I haven't traveled before. I'm always looking for new places to explore.
6 Wealth and power mean little without the freedom to go where and when you want.

d6 Flaw
1 I have trouble trusting people I've just met.
2 I enjoy the open road. Underground and tight spaces make me very nervous.
3 I expect others to heed my orders and have little resepect or sympathy if they don't.
4 I am very prideful and have trouble admitting when I'm wrong.
5 Once I decide on a course of action, I do not waiver.
6 I like to explore, and my curiosity will sometimes get me into trouble.

Varsuuk
February 21st, 2016, 17:23
lol...

Sorry, I am a fool. But then again, it's a common Dev thing: Explain/type something up to get help on debugging and you figure it out yourself.

I added the "Suggested Characteristics" even though the source did not have one, since I noticed no "optional" markers ([]) around the section in the Par5e docs.

[Note: This feature is a variant of the Outlander feature.]
Suggested Characteristics
Blah
(although, I realize there is text right after Feature that IS the SCs... it just didn't have the header :) )

So sorry for all the typing, leaving it there in case another person may encounter.

Zacchaeus
February 21st, 2016, 17:36
Just to answer your question there is nowhere that will tell you exactly what par5e is warning you about. It just means something is wrong - somewhere.

pauljmendoza
February 21st, 2016, 17:45
Wonderful. :) That answered my question from way back as well, the Thule style narratives with multiple Feature's work, they drag and drop, tables are fine etc. I just still get [WARNING] under the entries when I make the thing, but they work, and everything is there.

Varsuuk
February 21st, 2016, 21:03
That's AWESOME that asking helped others :)

So, I ran into another issue. "Caravan Specialist" for some reason, anytime the title ended in (didn't try all permutations, took me long enough to find out it was "specialist") "Specialist" - the Features section exists as a link to an "empty" popup.

I totally copied a working one like "Phlan Refugee" completely (ie all profs/features) and just changed name to "Caravan Specialist" and even things like "Caravan78 Specialist" -> Same problem. Naming it "Caravan Specialis" was no problem. In any case, there are no warnings or errors on this.

I also tried to see if it was length or spaces (doubted the latter) but nope, longer than the buggy background name works fine if it doesn't end in... "Specialist."

Edit: "Caravan Specialists" also fails to display Features text. However "Caravan Specialiss" does show it - so I guess anything having "Specialist" (lowercase 's' is same issue)

I searched on that word here, no hits. I will continue trying other things but I suspect I will need to DL the code to see why it might be so. Hopefully someone knows. In any event, I can just name it "Caravaneer" or "Caravan Veteran" or ... "Expert" or ... heck I'll hit the Thesaurus later.

Edit2: Already I see this tool is AMAZING :) I can see it will speed up my conversions once I learn the nooks and crannies ;)

Zacchaeus
February 21st, 2016, 21:56
I have seen a few weird things with titles of backgrounds and I have no idea what is causing the problem. In your case it is the word 'list' at the end of specialist. Try it with any other word that ends in list or just try it with list anywhere in the title. It would seem that it doesn't like that word; par5e must be interpreting it as something else.

So, the only solution is to avoid the word list in any background title (and anywhere in the title will bork it).

LordValerius
February 21st, 2016, 22:57
The first problem sounds to me like your module isn't getting built. Look at the console and the last thing that it should say is Build: module. If it doesn't say that then the module isn't getting properly built indicating that there is a problem somewhere with the par5ing (even though it looks like everything is par5ing it isn't). If it is building the module then, again despite everything appearing to par5e, there is a problem. All you can do is test little bits at a time in the time honoured fashion. i.e. take everything away, par5e one NPC with one token and nothing else and see if it works. Then add another and so on until you identify the problem.

You are correct in that equipment descriptions should follow on from the lists and those descriptions will get picked up in the par5e. Now I did see someone back up in another post where par5e was only recognising the first 3 bits of info and I never did manage to diagnose his problem. I have just tried the public version of par5e with one of my old equipment lists and it par5es fine with all the descriptions and all of the information, even those with more than 3 bits of info. So once again you have a problem somewhere and it's difficult to say where exactly that would be but again the solution is to try any par5e just one item and then add more etc.

Ok, well..Build:module is completing and then goes to Ready...Same issue. So I've deleted anything associated with the module from FG, deleted the output dir. I also tried only par5ing an npcs.txt with the statblock for Redbrand Ruffian and tried a variety of different tokens named redbrandruffian.png and everything says it's good, and stats on npc sheet are all filled in correctly without any syntax errors that I can find and each time, it still does not assign the token, no matter which one I try.

I believe the cause of the equipment descriptions not working properly was an errant CR/LF, as it is working now after removing it. Still struggling with the token assignment.

damned
February 21st, 2016, 23:05
where are your tokens being placed?

spite
February 21st, 2016, 23:12
Would the square brackets be impacting it perhaps?

spite
February 21st, 2016, 23:15
My god I need to refresh pages after a few hours afk without checking new replies. Ugh.

LordValerius
February 21st, 2016, 23:52
If you were replying to me, damned, my tokens are in a folder labeled "tokens" in the input directory. I was able to get the same token I was trying to use for the Redbrand Ruffian, to work with the Commoner npc entry...It showed up just fine, so I double checked my syntax on the Redbrand Ruffian and it looked ok but I went ahead and created a new npcs.txt file and added only the Redbrand Ruffian entry from scratch insuring it was typed and syntaxed correctly and then par5ed only npcs.txt and the one individual token and same thing..says it auto assigns the token ok, but in FG, nothing there...Only seems to happen with Redbrand Ruffian entry and Ripper, the wolf...The wolf npc autoassigns the standard wolf token I have for it, but will not load the Ripper token after entering 1;Wolf;Ripper; line in the encounters.txt file. I've even done this from a fresh start, removing all instances of anything related to the module I was creating with the same result.

Name of token is redbrandruffian.png

Text for npc is;

Redbrand Ruffian
Medium humanoid (human), neutral evil
Armor Class 14 (studded leather armor)
Hit Points 16 (3d8 + 3)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
11 (+0) 14 (+2) 12 (+1) 9 (-1) 9 (-1) 11 (+0)
Skills Intimidation +2
Senses passive Perception 9
Languages Common
Challenge 1/2 (100 XP)
ACTIONS
Multiattack. The ruffian makes two melee attacks.
Shortsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.
##;
Redbrand ruffians are petty thugs and ruthless enforcers skilled at intimidation and violence. They work for money and have no scruples.

Token for Ripper is named ripper.png - When I click on the shield in the encounter window for Ripper, it brings up the statbloack, all of which is correct AND it has the standard wolf.png token assigned to it, but an empty token spot for the ripper token. Maddening.

Note, this all seems to be about the tokens for some reason, as the npcs themselves WORK in FG, all stats are correct and in place and I can roll their attacks, saves, etc.

LordValerius
February 22nd, 2016, 00:42

It seems as if the descriptions are working as they should now that I've removed the extraneous CR/LF but only in the Equipment tables...Seems the description info does not carry over to the items when referenced in a parcel? Item is there, description is not...Working as intended?

Also, par5ing magicitems.txt data as indicated in the vids and the manual, the items can be added to a parcel, but when you open the item description in the parcel, rarity seems to land in the Cost field...Odd? Perhaps I am misunderstanding the correct usage of magicitems.txt...Should that only be used as a reference, and not to populate parcels? I checked the manual and it doesn't really indicate anything regarding this. Adventuring Gear seems to work fine when used from the Equipment table, but Magic Items don't seem to par5e correctly to parcels...Do I need to add all the magic items to the equipment.txt file? I thought that might be the case, but checking the manual doesn't seem to indicate what #st; something like a Ring would go under..Unless it's all considered Standard.

#@;Magic Items
#th;Rarity;Cost;Weight;Bonus
#st;Potions
Potion of Flying;very rare;50,000 gp;0.5 lb.

Am I on the right track here or way off?

Zacchaeus
February 22nd, 2016, 09:24
Right, I think I see what might be the problem. Just about the time when Par5e ceased to be developed publicly there was a problem in that NPCs starting with the letter 'R' were not being assigned tokens. Now I don't know if that was fixed in the public version or not - but it sounds like it wasn't.

I think you might be giving yourself to much par5ing. Par5e the story and NPCs then load the module with those into FG and do the item creation, parcel creation and linking in FG. It's a lot easier.

Magicitems.txt can be used in a cmp par5e or as a reference, so as long as you have ticked the Cmp box when par5ing it should be fine. I've never created a parcel in par5e.

I'll have a look at that file you linked me into later today if I can. I might have more answers then.

LordValerius
February 22nd, 2016, 11:18
Right, I think I see what might be the problem. Just about the time when Par5e ceased to be developed publicly there was a problem in that NPCs starting with the letter 'R' were not being assigned tokens. Now I don't know if that was fixed in the public version or not - but it sounds like it wasn't.

I think you might be giving yourself to much par5ing. Par5e the story and NPCs then load the module with those into FG and do the item creation, parcel creation and linking in FG. It's a lot easier.

Magicitems.txt can be used in a cmp par5e or as a reference, so as long as you have ticked the Cmp box when par5ing it should be fine. I've never created a parcel in par5e.

I'll have a look at that file you linked me into later today if I can. I might have more answers then.

Thanks Zacchaeus, I was starting to get that impression as I progressed through creating this module, that it may be easier to parse just certain things, story, etc. and add the rest inside FG.

Zacchaeus
February 22nd, 2016, 11:36
The magic items problem is that FG has moved on considerably. There are now a number of extra fields in magic items and also the way they work within FG has been considerably rewritten in order to handle the way the DMG and the Forge work. So I doubt that anything par5ed with the public version of par5e will be compatible. Hence I think the reason why you are seeing the problems that you are seeing.

spite
February 23rd, 2016, 02:56
In light of the 3.1.6 new feature "auto lookup spells for NPCs"
is there a way to get par5e to list the spellcasting with a linebreak for each cantrip/1stlevel/2ndlevel etc. I have it in the NPC text as this http://puu.sh/ni2dr/50d6ab7512.png
but it shows like this in FG http://puu.sh/ni2fb/217a8cc581.jpg
Any ideas?

Varsuuk
February 23rd, 2016, 03:30
EDIT: [SOLVED:]
#fe;Divine Domain;1,2,6,8,17<SPACE>CRLF
needs to be:
#fe;Divine Domain;1,2,6,8,17CRLF

BAH, lol I didn't see that one since so many times the CRLF varies between having a space and not (of course not on these markups ;P)
So sorry to spam so much on it, hopefully others who read my mistake may have Urethra...errr....Eureka moment (well, I was pi__ed BEFORE finding, not after :) )
....... Still, any source available out there?

I've been pulling my hair out whenever have an hour to sit at desk. I followed the YouTube tutorial to create cleric class. I made a few mistakes that I caught upon review of what I typed vs the pdf instructions.

Then when it still was wrong, I got a sample someone here did and it worked so... Step by step eyeball. Found more bugs like me using ; where , goes in a few etc and forgetting the Levelth first column in spells after splitting it as shown in video so was a column short. Also had differences that resulted in odd text due to encoding from off copy like ... And - changes. But none of that when fixed did it.

After tried the copy sections at time, see if fixed (always editing title siNce if it "fails" while showing "green/completed" it seems to just keep last run output. That led me on wild goose chases yesterday with false positives.

But after getting it to work, undoing it and failing, redoing it didn't always work.

I'm a dev so I know it's me not "randomness in code" but I'm not sure what I am doinG to get the false pos or negs.

Source code or builds with more debug/log files?
Anyone know if the Java source is available? Going to see what running on command line with debug says if anything. I'd like to look at where I can add more debugging and would be happy to resubmit any changes if dev is interested. I work as a C++ Senior Engineer at a major NYC exchange ... Sometimes it is nice to look at code that does something I can actually CARE about ;). I know and can mod Java code well enough, but I tend to be too many years between Java work to feel comfortable CREATING code in it. Am playing around learning Swift now, seems funz. Wish it had a cross platform UI framework that worked enough like the iOS/cocoa to double-dip in PC world.

Varsuuk
February 23rd, 2016, 03:33
Zacchaeus,

D'oh just read your reference to public par5e and Magic items. Haven't gotten to that point, troubleshooting my first class tutorial still ;)

Is there an alternative? Is there new dev working on it since read no updated version in while? Could I help to look at the code and new magic item layout spec to see if it's in level of my Java skills to update?

Varsuuk
February 23rd, 2016, 05:28
Script Error: [string "common/scripts/windowtitlebar.lua"]:18: attempt to index local 'nodeTitle' (a nil value)

My input:
#@;ARMOR
#th;Armor;Cost;Armor Class (AC);Strength;Stealth;Weight
#st;Light Armor
Padded;5 gp;11 + Dex modifier;-;Disadvantage;8 lb.
Leather;10 gp;11 + Dex modifier;-;-;10 lb.
Padded. This is like clothes man
Leather. Mmmm smells nice

Looking at the output:

<item>
<category name="Armor - DDEX2 - Elemental Evil" baseicon="2" decalicon="1">
<padded>
<locked type="number">1</locked>
<name type="string">Padded</name>
<type type="string">Armor</type>
<subtype type="string">Light Armor</subtype>
<cost type="string">5 gp</cost>
<ac type="number">11</ac>
<dexbonus type="string">Yes</dexbonus>
<strength type="string">-</strength>
<stealth type="string">Disadvantage</stealth>
<weight type="number">8.0</weight>
<description type="formattedtext"><p>This is like clothes man</p></description>
</padded>
<leather>
<locked type="number">1</locked>
<subtype type="string">Light Armor</subtype>
<ac type="number">11</ac>
<stealth type="string">-</stealth>
<weight type="number">10.0</weight>
<description type="formattedtext"><p>Mmmm smells nice</p></description>
</leather>
</category>
</item>

Here is the section in the actual generated .MOD file:

<lists>
<equipmentlists>
<equipment>
<name type="string">Equipment</name>
<index>
<id-00001>
<listlink type="windowreference">
<class>reference_armortable</class>
<recordname>[email protected] - Elemental Evil</recordname>
</listlink>
<name type="string">Armor</name>
</id-00001>
</index>
</equipment>
<armortable>
<description type="string">Armor Table</description>
<groups>
<section000>
<description type="string">Light Armor</description>
<equipment>
<padded>
<link type="windowreference">
<class>reference_armor</class>
<recordname>reference.equipmentdata.padde[email protected] - Elemental Evil</recordname>
</link>
<ac type="string">11</ac>
<stealth type="string">Disadvantage</stealth>
<weight type="number">8.0</weight>
</padded>
<leather>
<link type="windowreference">
<class>reference_armor</class>
<recordname>[email protected] - Elemental Evil</recordname>
</link>
<ac type="string">11</ac>
<stealth type="string">-</stealth>
<weight type="number">10.0</weight>
</leather>
</equipment>
</section000>
</groups>
</armortable>
</equipmentlists>

From looking at existing "Basic Rules.mod"'s client.xml:

<armor>
<padded>
<weight type="number">10</weight>
<ac type="number">1</ac>
<maxstatbonus type="number">8</maxstatbonus>
<checkpenalty type="number">0</checkpenalty>
<spellfailure type="number">5</spellfailure>
<speed30 type="number">30</speed30>
<speed20 type="number">20</speed20>
<subtype type="string">Light</subtype>
</padded>
<leather>
<weight type="number">15</weight>
<ac type="number">2</ac>
<maxstatbonus type="number">6</maxstatbonus>
<checkpenalty type="number">0</checkpenalty>
<spellfailure type="number">10</spellfailure>
<speed30 type="number">30</speed30>
<speed20 type="number">20</speed20>
<subtype type="string">Light</subtype>
</leather>

Looks like a big diff between the <item> and <armor> tags.
Need to head to bed or wife aggro :) Will try to think about it and check vs doc from ipad.

Thanks all.

[EDIT]
From poking into the archives in FG dir:

windowtitlebar.lua:

widgetTitle = nil;

function onInit()
widgetTitle = addTextWidget(font[1]);

local sTitle = "";
if resource then
sTitle = Interface.getString(resource[1]);
elseif static then
sTitle = static[1];
elseif field then
local nodeTitle = window.getDatabaseNode().getChild(field[1]);
nodeTitle.onUpdate = onUpdate;
sTitle = nodeTitle.getValue();
end

self.setValue(sTitle);

window.onSizeChanged = updatePosition;
self.updatePosition();
end

Varsuuk
February 23rd, 2016, 06:26
Hmmm, just saw shows up in Items popup if I go there vs library...
But ... is this 3.1.6 related or me :) ?

Zacchaeus
February 23rd, 2016, 09:05
In light of the 3.1.6 new feature "auto lookup spells for NPCs"
is there a way to get par5e to list the spellcasting with a linebreak for each cantrip/1stlevel/2ndlevel etc. I have it in the NPC text as this http://puu.sh/ni2dr/50d6ab7512.png
but it shows like this in FG http://puu.sh/ni2fb/217a8cc581.jpg
Any ideas?

Par5e strips out line breaks that you introduce. In order to achieve the auto lookup spells here's the markup.

Spellcasting. The mage is a 4th level spellcaster that uses Intelligence as its spellcasting ability (spell save DC 13; +5 to hit with spell attacks). The mage knows the following spells: \rCantrips (at will): Light, Mage Hand, Shocking Grasp \r1st level (4 slots): Charm Person, Magic Missile \r2nd level (3 slots): Hold Person, Misty Step

Notice that the whole thing is all on one line, notice the \r before each level and notice the exact case of the level and also the positioning of colons and dots. Do it exactly as above and it should work.

Zacchaeus
February 23rd, 2016, 09:10
Zacchaeus,

D'oh just read your reference to public par5e and Magic items. Haven't gotten to that point, troubleshooting my first class tutorial still ;)

Is there an alternative? Is there new dev working on it since read no updated version in while? Could I help to look at the code and new magic item layout spec to see if it's in level of my Java skills to update?

No, par5e ceased to be a community thing when Smiteworks obtained the WotC license. It is now used by Smiteworks exclusively. You would need to contact the developer Zeus about your other query.

Zacchaeus
February 23rd, 2016, 09:27
Hmmm, just saw shows up in Items popup if I go there vs library...
But ... is this 3.1.6 related or me :) ?

So, I can't really answer your question because I have no idea about scripting. However equipment lists usually appear in reference manuals and so I don't think I've ever tried to par5e it any other way but I do see that if you par5e it as Cmp you get the error you speak of. I would suggest that unless there is a very good reason for not doing so I would par5e your equipment list as a reference - in which case your little file you posted par5es just fine. I suppose it all depends on what it is you are doing.

Varsuuk
February 23rd, 2016, 13:14
Zacchaus,

You really rock. In the little time here, I have seen how much you contribute with your forum help.

Thanks, I didn't even notice (the late hour lol...) that I had Cmp checked as well as Ref. Like I said, it was just second time looking at this and after all the troubleshooting I did for that space ;) I dove right in like a dope lol instead of looking at the CONFIGURATION file.

This also happened because prior 2 didn't have 2 check boxes and on this one since it seemed so much simpler than CLass, I just did it (at first only) without actually watching video until after my first 2 tries to challenge myself to learn first from pdf :)

Sweet...next!

As much as I've avoided xml for the most part (I work server-side coding, haven't done any UI since my Pager(!)/Cellular messaging apps pre-text-messaging days) beyond simple configs), I will have to look for where the layout is described and perhaps be better positioned to understanding what is expected when look at outputs. I'll have to check FG site to see if that is closed as well.

spite
February 24th, 2016, 00:27
Par5e strips out line breaks that you introduce. In order to achieve the auto lookup spells here's the markup.

Spellcasting. The mage is a 4th level spellcaster that uses Intelligence as its spellcasting ability (spell save DC 13; +5 to hit with spell attacks). The mage knows the following spells: \rCantrips (at will): Light, Mage Hand, Shocking Grasp \r1st level (4 slots): Charm Person, Magic Missile \r2nd level (3 slots): Hold Person, Misty Step

Notice that the whole thing is all on one line, notice the \r before each level and notice the exact case of the level and also the positioning of colons and dots. Do it exactly as above and it should work.

You're my hero. :)

damned
February 24th, 2016, 00:54
You're my hero. :)

Thats our hero Zac C Nesbit!

http://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/zacchaeus-c-connery.jpg

Varsuuk
February 24th, 2016, 01:58
OK, Tim the Enchanter!

To add onto Spite's question, is there a way to basically bold something like "Quick Build" followed by a new (normal) line with rest of text?
#bp; creates a new Paragraph. Based on your answer to Spite, I tried "<b>Quick Build</b> \r" but that just printed "\r" vs carriage return (at first, I did the '\n' I am used to heheh)

So far, I worked around this by adding a "#bp;" on its own line to make it seem closer to the following para than the preceding one. However, there is still a "wasted" line above and below. OBVIOUSLY not a big deal ;) but wondering if there is already a "Best practice" for this.

Btw, read the intro docs, now onto the details on Wiki. Hopefully in future, I will know more when try next Tutorial after my commute's doc read hehe.

Seeing that picture made me want to ask about your favorite color...

Varsuuk
February 24th, 2016, 02:36
Just past the Feats section of Tutorial. I tried it by just looking at the doc and got it NEARLY right ;) didn't notice the example with #li, so mine were in a paragraph.

I notice Prerequisite and Benefit were both "keyworded". Using "Prerequisite:" I got what I expected (although not if at end like on p12 of pdf manual, that cut out the description. Moving it to top fixed it.

I saw no overt... "benefit" ;) to using "Benefit:" - it appears at the top, but then it did before prefacing it. Nothing is wrong, just trying to see what it is used for that wasn't demo'ed. Unless it was just an example of using the ":" to <b>bold</b> something?

Zacchaeus
February 24th, 2016, 10:17
OK, Tim the Enchanter!

To add onto Spite's question, is there a way to basically bold something like "Quick Build" followed by a new (normal) line with rest of text?
#bp; creates a new Paragraph. Based on your answer to Spite, I tried "<b>Quick Build</b> \r" but that just printed "\r" vs carriage return (at first, I did the '\n' I am used to heheh)

So far, I worked around this by adding a "#bp;" on its own line to make it seem closer to the following para than the preceding one. However, there is still a "wasted" line above and below. OBVIOUSLY not a big deal ;) but wondering if there is already a "Best practice" for this.

Btw, read the intro docs, now onto the details on Wiki. Hopefully in future, I will know more when try next Tutorial after my commute's doc read hehe.

Seeing that picture made me want to ask about your favorite color...

First of all the picture is all damned's work and has nothing to do with me :)

The line break thing will only work inside somewhere that shouldn't have a line break - such as within an NPC sheet in the example above. It will be treated as text anywhere else.
I don't think there is s way to achieve what you want. You can use #bs; to embolden a heading such as Quick Build. Here's a quick build or you can do as you are doing using #bp;
Par5e automatically adds in the extra line after a #bp; and you can't really take that away.

Zacchaeus
February 24th, 2016, 10:24
Just past the Feats section of Tutorial. I tried it by just looking at the doc and got it NEARLY right ;) didn't notice the example with #li, so mine were in a paragraph.

I notice Prerequisite and Benefit were both "keyworded". Using "Prerequisite:" I got what I expected (although not if at end like on p12 of pdf manual, that cut out the description. Moving it to top fixed it.

I saw no overt... "benefit" ;) to using "Benefit:" - it appears at the top, but then it did before prefacing it. Nothing is wrong, just trying to see what it is used for that wasn't demo'ed. Unless it was just an example of using the ":" to <b>bold</b> something?

I don't know either :)

Benefit doesn't seem to be needed in any case; but you are right in that prerequisite needs to be at the top before the text.

evilmouse
February 24th, 2016, 19:10
Hey Question
try parse epic class i get error.
1>)is there a limit on level you can parse at?

spite
February 24th, 2016, 21:31
I can confirm I have parsed in up to level 30 and it works as intended. Mind posting a bit of the class file you're trying to do in particular and where its giving you the error?

IchiSkaar
February 24th, 2016, 23:42
Issue with thumbnail.png on reparse: what should I be looking for?

Parse once right after loading the application.

Return a Failed - WARNING when attempting to copying module thumbnail at reparse my module.
This results in preventing from "Cooking" the module.

->rulesetLib (5E)
\
->parseData()
->parseReferenceManualData()
->parsegenerateReferenceLists()
->generateModuleXML()
->generateListTag()
->generateReferenceTag()
->generateReferenceManualXML()
->generateReferenceManualIndex()
->generateModuleXMLLibraryEntries()
->writeXML
->writeDefXML
->copyImages
->copyTokens
->copyThumbnail
->zipFile
->rulesetLib (5E)
\
->parseData()
->parseReferenceManualData()
->parsegenerateReferenceLists()
->generateModuleXML()
->generateListTag()
->generateReferenceTag()
->generateReferenceManualXML()
->generateReferenceManualIndex()
->generateModuleXMLLibraryEntries()
->writeXML
->writeDefXML
->copyImages
->copyTokens

damned
February 25th, 2016, 01:16
delete the output folder contents.

jshauber
February 25th, 2016, 14:27

That seems to be the "GO TO" answer for nearly everything, and it seems to work most of the time....

zeracool2k
February 25th, 2016, 18:14
That seems to be the "GO TO" answer for nearly everything, and it seems to work most of the time....

It's because sometimes par5e can't overwrite some files because it thinks it's reading them (thus, they are locked) when in truth it's reading the new files... and BAM! Problems arise.

Varsuuk
February 26th, 2016, 06:25
Just tried downloading Par5e for Mac. when I click on .app file it says I cannot open iy. Re-downloaded, moved to application folder this time... same problem.

Zacchaeus
February 26th, 2016, 08:43
I can't advise you on mac stuff but it does seem fairly simple according to the user guide. The only think I can think of is that you don't have Java installed maybe?

Varsuuk
February 26th, 2016, 13:22
Lol the User Guide... Ya, I probably should have gone there after having a problem. But then, I was in bed half asleep :)

I definitely have Java. I've updated it several times and I run Netbeans plus Eclipse for coding on it... Including Java coding. Will check the book once can access it later.

Varsuuk
February 26th, 2016, 17:11
I can't advise you on mac stuff but it does seem fairly simple according to the user guide. The only think I can think of is that you don't have Java installed maybe?

OK, read the instructions. There were standard Mac app opening instructions. This was not my issue, I'm afraid.

For anyone who can check the PAR5E.app file, perhaps they can see if looks same as mine:

Strider:PAR5E.app ddelgado$
[email protected] 8 ddelgado staff 272 Feb 26 01:17 Contents
Strider:PAR5E.app ddelgado$ ls -lart
total 0
[email protected] 3 ddelgado staff 102 May 31 2015 .
[email protected] 8 ddelgado staff 272 Feb 26 01:17 Contents
drwxrwxr-x+ 58 root admin 1972 Feb 26 01:19 ..
Strider:PAR5E.app ddelgado$ ls -lart Contents/
total 16
[email protected] 2 ddelgado staff 68 May 31 2015 PlugIns
[email protected] 1 ddelgado staff 8 May 31 2015 PkgInfo
[email protected] 1 ddelgado staff 1131 May 31 2015 Info.plist
[email protected] 3 ddelgado staff 102 May 31 2015 ..
[email protected] 4 ddelgado staff 136 Feb 26 01:17 Resources
[email protected] 3 ddelgado staff 102 Feb 26 01:17 MacOS
[email protected] 16 ddelgado staff 544 Feb 26 01:17 Java
[email protected] 8 ddelgado staff 272 Feb 26 01:17 .
Strider:PAR5E.app ddelgado$

Let me know if should post/try anything else.
Running Yosemite with Java 8r73

IchiSkaar
February 26th, 2016, 20:27

I had already tried that: files are already locked preventing me from deleting output folder content. In short it is easier to just restart the application - it is my current workaround. Is there anything else I could do to assist understand the issue?

Zacchaeus
February 26th, 2016, 21:21
The files are locked becasue Par5e will be open. So close par5e and then delete the output folder and then start par5e up again.

kalmarjan
February 26th, 2016, 22:01
Question... Does this still work with adventures and such? The interface looks a bit different from what the tutorials show.

Also, when you are making an adventure, is it only to MOD format, or is there a way to push it to the campaign folder?

ddavison
February 26th, 2016, 22:10
Question... Does this still work with adventures and such? The interface looks a bit different from what the tutorials show.

Also, when you are making an adventure, is it only to MOD format, or is there a way to push it to the campaign folder?

I generally recommend people build the adventure modules within FG directly if you plan to have a lot of pre-placed combat encounters or basically anything placed on a map. Otherwise, you'll need to know the precise x and y coordinates you want to use for everything. One strategy might be to use a hybrid approach and build NPCs, or even story entries in PAR5E but then flesh out the actual adventure within FG. Just my 2 cents.

kalmarjan
February 26th, 2016, 22:13
I generally recommend people build the adventure modules within FG directly if you plan to have a lot of pre-placed combat encounters or basically anything placed on a map. Otherwise, you'll need to know the precise x and y coordinates you want to use for everything. One strategy might be to use a hybrid approach and build NPCs, or even story entries in PAR5E but then flesh out the actual adventure within FG. Just my 2 cents.

Awesome Doug, (And I agree... Enterprise IS an awesome show!)

I don't know why, but when I parse the text, there are no errors from the console, but the mod is not showing up in the output folder. Super frustrating, I don't know what I am doing wrong. I've erased the old output folder, and when I parse, it creates a new folder but doesn't put anything there.

Zacchaeus
February 26th, 2016, 22:16
Awesome Doug, (And I agree... Enterprise IS an awesome show!)

I don't know why, but when I parse the text, there are no errors from the console, but the mod is not showing up in the output folder. Super frustrating, I don't know what I am doing wrong. I've erased the old output folder, and when I parse, it creates a new folder but doesn't put anything there.

You won't find it there. It will be in the folder you have specified in the configuration window and that should mean that it is in the modules folder in Fantasy Grounds. To see the module you need to open Fantasy Grounds and go to the library, find the mod and open it up.

And no you can't create a campaign out of par5e as such. It all goes to a mod file.

ddavison
February 26th, 2016, 22:19
I think this happens when it can't create an xml node for a section. No error message is thrown and the program just exits. It's this way in our internal version too.

Check for special characters in your story titles. If you are having problems tracking it down, this low-tech solution seems to find it. Copy your text to a separate file and then try adding the 1st half and reparsing. If it works, add 1/2 of the next section. Repeat until you narrow it down.

From w3schools:

XML Naming Rules
XML elements must follow these naming rules:

Element names are case-sensitive
Element names must start with a letter or underscore
Element names cannot start with the letters xml (or XML, or Xml, etc)
Element names can contain letters, digits, hyphens, underscores, and periods
Element names cannot contain spaces
Any name can be used, no words are reserved (except xml).

Varsuuk
February 27th, 2016, 03:49
I think this happens when it can't create an xml node for a section. No error message is thrown and the program just exits. It's this way in our internal version too.

Check for special characters in your story titles. If you are having problems tracking it down, this low-tech solution seems to find it. Copy your text to a separate file and then try adding the 1st half and reparsing. If it works, add 1/2 of the next section. Repeat until you narrow it down.

From w3schools:

Truth, that is how I tracked my "Cleric" class errors. As you might see in my earlier posts, I've run into ";" when should be ",", having a phrase at the end of a title that shouldn't be there (I have a horrid memory, or I'd repeat it here), some issue with space where shouldn't be etc... since the tool does not log the error when get a WARNING or even report the error when fails in some cases - that "Divide and Conquer" is oft the best way to go.

Just be advised, if you do this quickly, you may shoot past the error because it "kept" the last "good" one from like 3 tries back if you get one of those "exit without error message errors" -- that's why when I do divide and conquer, I usually renamed the entry for each redo either by appending cap letters or numbers so I can tell when reopen the MOD that it IS the output of my latest run not one from run in past.

Anyone have PAR5E under MAC? wondering if the "ls" I posted looked normal for the contents of the PAR5E.app file since it "won't open" when I click to start it.

Varsuuk
February 27th, 2016, 04:24

You are more likely to know more about the +/- here for sure!
One reason I like the PAR5E thing is for ease of later modification for mistake edits or contextual changes. In addition, it is generally "nice" to have things in more easily read format to store in a repo.

Since there are things you both cannot do in PAR5E (mine at least) and things that are best done in-game (as you pointed out), I predict in the future, I will probably do a hybrid approach where I repo the PAR5E input files along with the output XML in the MOD which results from the parse + manual changes. Or hopefully :) a second "utility" that I will create to do some things I can't in PAR5E by tweaking the output if anything comes to mind that I want that isn't there but IS avail in the xml spec etc.

Heck, I'm really just always looking for an excuse to code something other than a FIX4.4 Treasuries server... I'm the only DEV on that so I get ZERO "branch out time" ... blech... (was one of 6 prior to them buying the Treasury business from original exchange... so, I'm busy :( )

Just finished through NPCs, have to put son to bed... it's 11:20 but we had late dinner and I was distracted doing the Parsing (and found another caveat to mention -- CASE errr case, can matter ;) like Wondrous item vs Wondrous Item ;)

Varsuuk
February 27th, 2016, 20:43
OK - started working on PAR5E-ing first DDEX1 adventure. So, if I add npcs like Bandit and guards to an encounter.txt, how do I get it to reference the "DD MM Monster Manual".

I bought all 3 core books and in the future will be adding my own creations to other "modules" which will include NPCs. I presume the same method used to link a "normal" mob in MMG will be used for custom monster manuals.

I expect instead of 2;Bandit;... it will be 2;DD_MM_Monster_Manual.Bandit;... or some such - but what is it? Is there a "standard" translation or is it custom for each and you need to dig into the FG xml to look it up?

I have all 3 Core book modules open as well as the D&D Expedition in the making...

Zacchaeus
February 27th, 2016, 21:13
Varsuuk, parse the story and NPCs but do the rest in FG itself. There isn't a way for you to link stuff like that within par5e. So create encounters and links in FG itself.

Varsuuk
February 27th, 2016, 21:51
Varsuuk, parse the story and NPCs but do the rest in FG itself. There isn't a way for you to link stuff like that within par5e. So create encounters and links in FG itself.

Ah, cool - I suspected something of the sort given that the Par5e tutorials were pre-FG release of the Core books.

I know a lot of this could be done easily in FG because I already purchased the add-ons, but I like tools ;) it is my hobby as well as career. I wish that tool was still open community so I could be working on adding features to it! :)

damned
February 27th, 2016, 23:00
Ah, cool - I suspected something of the sort given that the Par5e tutorials were pre-FG release of the Core books.

I know a lot of this could be done easily in FG because I already purchased the add-ons, but I like tools ;) it is my hobby as well as career. I wish that tool was still open community so I could be working on adding features to it! :)

Par5e was never "open" community. The source code has always been held only by Zeus.

Vishera
February 28th, 2016, 00:23
I didn't see a link, but is there somewhere to pick up the autohotkey scripts?

nevermind, found it on http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21964-PAR5E-Tutorial&p=185550&viewfull=1#post185550

Varsuuk
February 29th, 2016, 03:07

Now that I am doing a module (D&D sense) in the FG app itself, I am finding it so far a clean way to work. Jury is still far from in because I've only gotten through outlining.

However, one thing that makes me think I'd benefit from doing Story in PAR5E is simply because I don't see (yet) a way to cut and paste from within FG. So if I feel I have to break up something to another story entry/subentry, I'd hate to have to restyle it or if got from pdf, Reddit it for copy paste issues. If I had a story.txt input, I could edit that more simply (again, I think, still new here)

Btw, saw on Xorn's video to edit adventure tab if want it named, searching forums found that was done not by right lick-rename as I might have guessed but dragging text from chat ... Cool trick but never would have tried that had I not found the post.

Zacchaeus
February 29th, 2016, 08:54
When your creating a module you need to be disciplined. Do ALL the story in par5e and ALL the NPCs in par5e FIRST. Then you check it all over carefully and make sure that everything is right. Then you do everything else in FG.

Varsuuk
February 29th, 2016, 14:32
I understand that, watching the videos and things you've posted sold me on that.

It's just that I did a walk through of the DnD basic rules (just the demo portions since I have the full rules modules) and found it a great app. I appreciated how it was built/designed to work.

I had never tried doing a story module yet and when I did so in FG, I found it a pleasure to use. I didn't expect that. (Again, may eat words later but so far so good)

So was wondering what the advantage of using par5e for just story/NPC was? The one thing I considered was that at the sacrifice of instant WYSIWIG, you could get an easily track able/modifiable "master cut".

I wondered if that impression makes sense. I haven't specifically looked at story xml created in FG yet but while debugging my mistake in par5e I saw that equipment xml could get much hairier looking than the source in par5s.

I had more "fun" making the story using the GUIs; but I didn't want to miss out on possible "future-proofing" possible by using markup instead.

Zacchaeus
February 29th, 2016, 14:48
I suppose it comes down to personal experience and preference. You can mark up the story entries in par5e to do all the things you can do in FG; so you can bold, italic, have boxed text, have boxed text with a speaker etc. Copy pasting into FG is viable and you can then do all of the markup etc in FG. I, personally found it a lot easier to do the story text in par5e that doing it in FG - but this may depend on the source you are copying from. Some pdf's a horrendous. Creating encounters, parcels and links however I found a lot easier in FG rather than doing it in par5e. Both ways are perfectly viable and it comes down to, as I said, personal preference. Since par5e just emulates the mark-up used in FG you won't lose future proofing since you will always be able to edit any story entry anyway. (I see where you are coming from there since the public version of par5e is essentially now static).

One thing; if you are creating a reference manual then you can only do that in par5e.

ddavison
February 29th, 2016, 14:56
For story, there are normally more clicks involved with building stuff in FG than in Par5E, but it is WYSIWYG and you can use hotkeys to great affect. For some people, however, they find it easier if they have a huge amount of text available to dump all the text into a flat text file and then go through and mark it up in PAR5E and then parse it as opposed to creating each story separately within FG. If you build a lot within FG, it makes sense to learn each of the shortcut keys on this page: http://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/The_Basics

You can do the same sort of stuff within PAR5E, but something might look fine within your text file and then not look correct in FG after you parse it. This is normally due to characters that are not recognized or instances where your parse command prefixes are not correct.

For NPCs, it's again the difference between working in a WYSIWYG environment versus a quick process where you can dump an entire stat block in, clean it up and then hit parse. If you have access to a PDF, parsing it typically goes *much* faster in PAR5E than building them all separately and entering the values for STR, DEX, CON, etc. all separately. Once again, however, there is an increased chance of making a mistake though since in order to parse, it expects things to always be in the same format. Something may visually look okay to you but if you have a line break in the wrong spot or language instead of languages, then you might find that the resulting NPC has some stuff entered into the wrong area or not recognized. If you have to type everything in by hand anyway, I suspect they would be faster within FG since you essentially do quality control as you go instead of having to build it in PAR5E, test it in FG, revise again in PAR5E and repeat as needed. PAR5E used to do a better job on automatic spell lookups, but now that we added this feature into the core program, you can close and re-open it after you type in the Spellcasting or Innate Spellcasting trait and it will automatically pull those in for you within FG.

neologiker
March 4th, 2016, 23:49
I'm trying to create a module for the Unearthed Arcana Mystic class. Almost everything seems to be working fine, but I can't seem to create a class entry that automatically prompts me to choose between the two subclasses (edit: or do I mean specializations?), "Order of the Awakened" and "Order of the Immortal". Is this possible with Par5e, or do I need to fiddle with the generated XML? If the latter, can anybody give me an idea of which elements to modify and how?

Here's the appropriate section from my Par5e input:

#abh;Mystic Orders
Descriptive text goes here...
#ab;Order of the Awakened
#abf;Mind Mastery;1
#abf;Awakened Expertise;1
#abf;Psionic Investigation;3
#abf;Psychic Surge;6
#abf;Potent Psionics;8
#ab;Order of the Immortal
#abf;Martial Order;1
#abf;Psionic Resilience;3
#abf;Surge of Health;6
#abf;Cutting Resonance;8

Zacchaeus
March 5th, 2016, 09:39
You can't do this in the public version of par5e unfortunately.

Varsuuk
March 5th, 2016, 15:17

Eep, tell me true... you've made a macro for that statement by now, right? 8)

Hmmm, wonder if there is a revenue opportunity here for SW for a PAR5E DLC ...

neologiker
March 5th, 2016, 17:07

Thanks, Zacchaeus. That's too bad! Can it be done by directly editing the module XML? Can you point me to an example?

zeracool2k
March 5th, 2016, 18:45
The thing is par5e updates have not been public for quite a long time, and par5e itself went "under" before a lot of the stuff that FG even existed.

Now, there are no updated official xml editing guides, but several users on the forum have published stuff on that topic, just search for "fantasy grounds xml editing", "FG editing xml classes", and so on.

Yo can also check this post (http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/entry.php?21-Module-Code-Library), is not exactly for 5e (and is QUITE outdated) but it helped me a lot when I started editing xml files.

Zacchaeus
March 5th, 2016, 21:30
Thanks, Zacchaeus. That's too bad! Can it be done by directly editing the module XML? Can you point me to an example?

Sadly I have no knowledge of xml, so can't advise you on this subject.

Weepdrag
March 7th, 2016, 00:40
I'm having one helluva time doing the basics of trying to parse an equipment.txt file. I thought that I was following the instructions to a "T" but obviously I'm missing something.

#@; ADVENTURING GEAR
#th;Items;Price;weight
#st;Standard

Bread;1sp;.5 lb.

Etc.,etc,etc

I've tried parsing as Core, 3.5E,etc with the same result : Par5e shows no errors, well formed XML; but empty DB. The headers are there, the module creates , but it's empty.

Did I miss a revision to the instructions or to Xorn's video tutorial or is my bone to brain ratio too high for this program?

Thanks for any input

zeracool2k
March 7th, 2016, 01:50
Weepdrag, try deleting he space in the first line (before ADVENTURING GEAR)... and I'm not sure if the .5 parses ok, or if it needs to be a 0.5.

Note that the categories MUST be identical to those of the official rules (Adventuring gear, standard, druidic focus, armor, etc.) or you'll run into problems.

Aaron
March 7th, 2016, 01:50
Hi Weepdrag,

I see that in your Bread line you have .5 lb as the weight. Try 0.5 lb.

Par5e may be failing on seeing a decimal point instead of seeing a number.

Zacchaeus
March 7th, 2016, 08:58
I'm having one helluva time doing the basics of trying to parse an equipment.txt file. I thought that I was following the instructions to a "T" but obviously I'm missing something.

#@; ADVENTURING GEAR
#th;Items;Price;weight
#st;Standard

Bread;1sp;.5 lb.

Etc.,etc,etc

I've tried parsing as Core, 3.5E,etc with the same result : Par5e shows no errors, well formed XML; but empty DB. The headers are there, the module creates , but it's empty.

Did I miss a revision to the instructions or to Xorn's video tutorial or is my bone to brain ratio too high for this program?

Thanks for any input

The above little bit that you have posted parses fine for me so I can only guess that there is something else in your file which is causing the problem. Start your search by paring down the text file to just what you have posted above and parse it. It should work; if it doesn't, pay close attention to the console when it is parsing. The last thing it should say is Build: Module. If it isn't saying that or if it doesn't par5e try deleting the 'Output' folder created by par5e in the same location as the input folder you created.

Also make sure that you have all the correct permissions to write files to wherever you are outputting the module to. If you aren't sure try to output to another location.

If the above little bit does par5e for you then gradually start adding whatever else is in your file, par5ing at each stage, until the par5e fails and you have found the culprit.

Weepdrag
March 7th, 2016, 15:51
Thanks for the replies,
After removing all of the (),periods, and most of the other punctuation from the item field, I got the first part of the parsing done. The db.xml actually has all of the data, and the module creates. The problem is that FG comes up blank. No errors, XML looks good, just gives a blank window in FG. Another question. .. is it possible to have multiple paragraphs in the description text for the items?

Thanks again

Zacchaeus
March 7th, 2016, 16:01
To answer your last question the answer to that is no.

For the blank module part try deleting the module in FG from the modules folder and repar5ing. Also you are par5ing as a reference document aren't you? Also what do you get when you par5e just the one entry as you showed in your post?

kalmarjan
March 7th, 2016, 20:14
Can this parser be used to parse Pathfinder NPC info? Is there documentation for that?

spite
March 7th, 2016, 21:13
par5e is specifically designed to work with 5e stat blocks and output a 5e module.
I believe (dont quote me) but the PF/3.5 forum has a similar program for parsing in information for that ruleset.

kalmarjan
March 7th, 2016, 22:04
I was under the impression this was built with the Core set not specifically for 5e.in either way, there is the option to put it as Pathfinder ruleset.

No worries, I can always use another parser for the NPC, just wondering if it were possible.

zeracool2k
March 7th, 2016, 22:05
Kalmarjan, par5e has an option (a combobox) to select the ruleset, and Pathfinder is one of the options. I've never tried to par5e PF stuff, but I assume the syntax would be the same as 5e.

Experiment!

Trenloe
March 7th, 2016, 22:30
Kalmarjan, par5e has an option (a combobox) to select the ruleset, and Pathfinder is one of the options. I've never tried to par5e PF stuff, but I assume the syntax would be the same as 5e.
There's no documentation for PAR5E other than for CoreRPG and DD5E, suggesting that you can do basic non-system specific stuff or 5E system specific stuff.

I think the plan was to have PAR5E be all encompassing, but that hasn't happened.

For Pathfinder NPCs, I'd recommend using the Pathfinder Creature Parser: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20522-Pathfinder-Creature-Parser-V2-Beta-Version It uses the Paizo Standard statblock - just copy/paste from PDFs.

Aaron
March 8th, 2016, 01:22
.. is it possible to have multiple paragraphs in the description text for the items?

I do the multiple paragraphs this way:

Name of Item. <p>First Paragraph</p> <p>Second Paragraph</p> <p>Third Paragraph etc</p>

You can also add in bold text by using <b> </b>.

This does add a degree of complexity to the process and so you have to keep a close eye on things. I can't remember if it fails the parse, or if it just jumbles up the output if you get it wrong.