PDA

View Full Version : Project: Par5e

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12

brustmlj
June 20th, 2015, 14:57
I have found the forward quotes and the backward quotes do not work but that the straight quotes seem to work just fine. I have also found that long dashes do not work only short ones.

eryndur
June 20th, 2015, 18:37
Brand new to Par5e, and I've just been trying to emulate Xorn's tutorial. I ran into a hiccup after the first try. I'm attempting to par5e the Acolyte background as per the video, but I end up with this error:

Info : engine build .................................................. ...... [v0.0.9-b62]
Info : ruleset library .................................................. ........... [5E]
Info : module .................................................. ....... [PHB BR Tutorial]
Info : ruleset .................................................. ................... [5E]
Info : folder structure ................................................ [Already Exists]
Parse : background .................................................. ..... [Acolyte - OK]
Parse : backgrounds .................................................. ........ [Completed]
Make : backgrounds windowlists .............................................. [Completed]
Make : backgrounds (reference) .............................................. [Completed]
Make : module xml data .................................................. .... [Completed]
Make : archive data .................................................. ....... [Completed]
Make : module xml library entries ........................................... [Completed]
Write : module xml data .................................................. .... [Completed]
Write : module xml syntax .................................................. [Well Formed]
Write : module xml definition ................................................ [Completed]
Write : copying module images ................................................ [Completed]
Write : copying module tokens ................................................ [Completed]
Write : copying module thumbnail ............................................. [Completed]
Cook : module archive ................................................ [Failed - WARNING]

Does this have something to with an incorrect path? I'm working with FG purchased through Steam on a Mac, if that makes a difference.

Thegroo
June 20th, 2015, 19:41
The archive flag in the config is only for Npc and Magic Items.
As you have none of those, try running without these flags.

eryndur
June 20th, 2015, 22:16
The archive flag in the config is only for Npc and Magic Items.
As you have none of those, try running without these flags.

Where is the archive flag, and how to I run it without using the NPC and Magic Item flags? I don't see any options for not using them. I clicked on the Archive tab, and just deleted the archive source path, but I get the same result.

Thegroo
June 20th, 2015, 22:27
In the Configuration tab, uncheck all but the backgrounds.

eryndur
June 20th, 2015, 22:30
Ah. Well, they've never been checked. Just like you pointed out, only backgrounds is checked. Still the same error.

Zacchaeus
June 20th, 2015, 22:42
I can't say exactly what your error is but experience in par5sing tells me that there are many and varied reasons why something doesn't par5e. It requires that you meticulously go through the entire thing looking for the error(s). Some possibilities are a space where no space should be, no space where there should be one. A missed ";" or possibly a "1" instead of an "l" or a "0" instead of an "o". What you could try is open up a new text file and take a chunk away from what you are trying to par5s and paste it into the new file. Then try to par5e the little bit. If that works then copy and past some more in and par5e again. This way you should be able to narrow down the error more easily. Also there's likely to be more than one error :(

eryndur
June 20th, 2015, 23:04
I took your advice, Zacchaeus, and just took a snippet of the Acolyte code and made a new backgrounds.txt file from it:

##;Acolyte
You have spent your life in the service of a temple to a specific god or pantheon of gods. You act as an intermediary between the realm of the holy and the mortal world, performing sacred rites and offering sacrifices in order to conduct worshipers into the presence of the divine. You are not necessarily a cleric -- performing sacred rites is not the same thing as channeling divine power.

I can't see any formatting issues in this small paragraph at all. When par5ed, this returns:

Info : engine build .................................................. ...... [v0.0.9-b62]
Info : ruleset library .................................................. ........... [5E]
Info : module .................................................. ....... [PHB BR Tutorial]
Info : ruleset .................................................. ................... [5E]
Info : folder structure ................................................ [Already Exists]
Parse : background .................................................. [Acolyte - WARNING]
Parse : backgrounds .................................................. ........ [Completed]
Make : backgrounds windowlists .............................................. [Completed]
Make : backgrounds (reference) .............................................. [Completed]
Make : module xml data .................................................. .... [Completed]
Make : archive data .................................................. ....... [Completed]
Make : module xml library entries ........................................... [Completed]
Write : module xml data .................................................. .... [Completed]
Write : module xml syntax .................................................. [Well Formed]
Write : module xml definition ................................................ [Completed]
Write : copying module images ................................................ [Completed]
Write : copying module tokens ................................................ [Completed]
Write : copying module thumbnail ............................................. [Completed]
Cook : module archive ................................................ [Failed - WARNING]

Thegroo
June 21st, 2015, 00:53
Sorry, i'm out of ideas.
Never seen this failure before.

WansumBeats
June 21st, 2015, 01:03
its probably not parsing because you just have the small paragraph...

##;Acolyte
You have spent your life in the service of a temple to a specific god or pantheon of gods. You act as an intermediary between the realm of the holy and the mortal world, performing sacred rites and offering sacrifices in order to conduct worshipers into the presence of the divine. You are not necessarily a cleric-performing sacred rites is not the same thing as channeling divine power.
Choose a god, a pantheon of gods, or some other quasi-divine being, and work with your DM to detail the nature of your religious service. Appendix B contains a sample pantheon, from the Forgotten Realms setting. Were you a lesser functionary in a temple, raised from childhood to assist the priests in the sacred rites? Or were you a high priest who suddenly experienced a call to serve your god in a different way? Perhaps you were the leader of a small cult outside of any established temple structure, or even an occult group that served a fiendish master that you now deny.
Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Religion
Languages: Two of your choice
Equipment: A holy symbol (a gift to you when you entered the priesthood), a prayer book or prayer wheel, 5 sticks of incense, vestments, a set of common clothes, and a belt pouch containing 15 gp
Feature: Shelter of the Faithful
As an acolyte, you command the respect of those who share your faith, and you can perform the religious ceremonies of your deity. You and your adventuring companions can expect to receive free healing and care at a temple, shrine, or other established presence of your faith, though you must provide any material components needed for spells. Those who share your religion will support you (but only you) at a modest lifestyle.
You might also have ties to a specific temple dedicated to your chosen deity or pantheon, and you have a residence there. This could be the temple where you used to serve, if you remain on good terms with it, or a temple where you have found a new home. While near your temple, you can call upon the priests for assistance, provided the assistance you ask for is not hazardous and you remain in good standing with your temple.
Suggested Characteristics
Acolytes are shaped by their experience in temples or other religious communities. Their study of the history and tenets of their faith and their relationships to temples, shrines, or hierarchies affect their mannerisms and ideals. Their flaws might be some hidden hypocrisy or heretical idea, or an ideal or bond taken to an extreme.

d8 Personality Trait
1 I idolize a particular hero of my faith, and constantly refer to that person’s deeds and example.
2 I can find common ground between the fiercest enemies, empathizing with them and always working toward peace.
3 I see omens in every event and action. The gods try to speak to us, we just need to listen
4 Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude.
5 I quote (or misquote) sacred texts and proverbs in almost every situation.
6 I am tolerant (or intolerant) of other faiths and respect (or condemn) the worship of other gods.
7 I’ve enjoyed fine food, drink, and high society among my temple’s elite. Rough living grates on me.
8 I’ve spent so long in the temple that I have little practical experience dealing with people in the outside world.

d6 Ideal
1 Tradition. The ancient traditions of worship and sacrifice must be preserved and upheld. (Lawful)
2 Charity. I always try to help those in need, no matter what the personal cost. (Good)
3 Change. We must help bring about the changes the gods are constantly working in the world. (Chaotic)
4 Power. I hope to one day rise to the top of my faith’s religious hierarchy. (Lawful)
5 Faith. I trust that my deity will guide my actions. I have faith that if I work hard, things will go well. (Lawful)
6 Aspiration. I seek to prove myself worthy of my god’s favor by matching my actions against his or her teachings. (Any)

d6 Bond
1 I would die to recover an ancient relic of my faith that was lost long ago.
2 I will someday get revenge on the corrupt temple hierarchy who branded me a heretic.
3 I owe my life to the priest who took me in when my parents died.
4 Everything I do is for the common people.
5 I will do anything to protect the temple where I served.
6 I seek to preserve a sacred text that my enemies consider heretical and seek to destroy.

d6 Flaw
1 I judge others harshly, and myself even more severely.
2 I put too much trust in those who wield power within my temple’s hierarchy.
3 My piety sometimes leads me to blindly trust those that profess faith in my god.
4 I am inflexible in my thinking.
5 I am suspicious of strangers and expect the worst of them.
6 Once I pick a goal, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of everything else in my life.

this is what it should look like and you can find the exact format by reading the par5e pdf... it tells you that its looking for certain fields

Aaron
June 21st, 2015, 05:15
Do you have an input, output, temp folder inside the folder you're using to build the module?

For example, I'm parsing Rahasia atm, and have the following folders:

Rahasia
- input
- output
- temp

The input folder has all the .txt files you create, and the output folder is where parse does its magic (creates .xml's, thumbnails, tokens, etc).

eryndur
June 21st, 2015, 06:22
Do you have an input, output, temp folder inside the folder you're using to build the module?

For example, I'm parsing Rahasia atm, and have the following folders:

Rahasia
- input
- output
- temp

The input folder has all the .txt files you create, and the output folder is where parse does its magic (creates .xml's, thumbnails, tokens, etc).
Yep, all three are there, and seem to be doing their job. I'm out of free time for the weekend, but I'll give the syntax another look-see when I clear my head. I may have just been staring at it too long.

Irondrake
June 21st, 2015, 07:29
I have a weird situation going on. I'm trying to create a player module for the Elemental Evil stuff. I've got the races and spells in this module. Even though it shows all the spells to parse fine, and have all the classes listed in the spell list, it skips Ranger and Warlock. Has anyone else ran into this?

Aaron
June 21st, 2015, 08:25
I have a weird situation going on. I'm trying to create a player module for the Elemental Evil stuff. I've got the races and spells in this module. Even though it shows all the spells to parse fine, and have all the classes listed in the spell list, it skips Ranger and Warlock. Has anyone else ran into this?

I did mine a couple of days ago, and came across this. It had something to do with the Ranger and Warlock spells only being duplicates of another classes spells, and so not parsing correctly. The solution was to list the Ranger and Warlock spells at the start of the spell lists. It's out of alphabetical when you open the module (Ranger and Warlock with be ahead of Cleric, etc), but it works.

Zacchaeus
June 21st, 2015, 12:11
I took your advice, Zacchaeus, and just took a snippet of the Acolyte code and made a new backgrounds.txt file from it:

##;Acolyte
You have spent your life in the service of a temple to a specific god or pantheon of gods. You act as an intermediary between the realm of the holy and the mortal world, performing sacred rites and offering sacrifices in order to conduct worshipers into the presence of the divine. You are not necessarily a cleric -- performing sacred rites is not the same thing as channeling divine power.

I can't see any formatting issues in this small paragraph at all.

My bad; Par5e does expect a certain minimum amount of stuff before it will par5e properly, and one line is too small a sample. I should have made this clearer.
One thing I've just thought of as well. Xorn's videos use the 'old' version of par5e. The file structure was changed in the new version so the videos instructions won't necessarily be accurate any more.

ShadoWWW
June 21st, 2015, 18:57
Is there gonna be a video tutorial for the new version? I would really appreciate it.

Irondrake
June 22nd, 2015, 04:38
Aaron, thank you. I will try this!

Irondrake
June 22nd, 2015, 04:45
That did the trick. Thank you very much.

Aaron
June 22nd, 2015, 09:04
That did the trick. Thank you very much.

You're welcome. :)

Starcrawler
June 23rd, 2015, 03:08
Does this work for 4e? And if so how do you structure things? I can see a guide for 5e and Core RPG but not for 4e.

itsdvw
June 23rd, 2015, 19:41
My bad; Par5e does expect a certain minimum amount of stuff before it will par5e properly, and one line is too small a sample. I should have made this clearer.
One thing I've just thought of as well. Xorn's videos use the 'old' version of par5e. The file structure was changed in the new version so the videos instructions won't necessarily be accurate any more.

Is there gonna be a video tutorial for the new version? I would really appreciate it.

Besides the configuration tab, Par5e hasn't changed that much since the video - mostly bug fixes and added features. Any input files that worked then should still work now.
The temp folder isn't used any more, you can delete that. You can also delete the output folder - Par5e uses it for temporary files but will create a new one as necessary (it will contain everything the final module will, just unzipped).

Eryndur: it looks like your input is being mostly processed correctly - it got past the XML stages (where it often hangs if something is formatted incorrectly). Try deleting the output folder and making sure you have permissions to write to wherever your FG Modules Path is set to. If it still fails, you could always try zipping up the contents of the output folder manually and renaming the .zip file to .mod and see if that works (there's a chance that Par5e is stuck at the zip stage)

brustmlj
June 24th, 2015, 00:23
Has anyone tried to merge modules in Fantasy Grounds. I spent some time laying out a story in Par5e. One I got the module the way I liked it I opened it in FG and then went to work on the maps, grids and I pulled monsters from the licensed MM and re-exported everything I could. I expected it to create a full module with the stuff filled in from parse plus the data I added myself. What was exported was just the changes I made myself not the original mod. Is there a process for doing this? This seems to me to be a very needed functionality for me. Layout a story, equipment, parcels in par5e. Build up the NPCs, encounters, maps, in FG. Make a reusable module to play over and over again.

noelyuk
June 24th, 2015, 00:39
You absolutely can do what you're trying but it just takes a bit of time to get your head around the way that FG works. The entries you're cribbing from other modules need to have been duplicated in your new blank campaign. Use FGs pull down to copy and duplicate entries. Click on a link then pull down to duplicate, then drag this link to where you want. These entries should all then remain when the original source mod is closed (test it by creating a couple of entries and closing mod to check)This should allow you to successfully export in a new mod.

brustmlj
June 24th, 2015, 00:41
Ok I guess I could have thought of that

noelyuk
June 24th, 2015, 01:39
Sometimes it's hard to see the wood for the trees. Especially in the dark and mirky forest of Fantasy Grounds and Par5e :P

brustmlj
June 24th, 2015, 02:43
Well it does not seem that easy to me now that I try. I have 7 story tabs in my module so I have to create 7 new tabs then drag all the story entries around. Then I gotta make NPC tabs, then encounter tabs, then parcel tabs and drag all that stuff around. If that were it I guess I would be good. But it is not. Now I have to actually edit every single story page (easily 20-30) and make new links (upwards of 50) to the dragged entries. Ugh that was why I tried to use Par5e in the first place so that I could easily write a story in a decent editor and create and populate all the links. Then if I need to make updates I need to keep this campaign around as my editing campaign so if I need an edit I can make the edit and recreate the module. This is not great. Having a way to edit and update modules on the fly should be easier.

brustmlj
June 24th, 2015, 06:31
Ok I worked out a solution that at least works for me. I used par5e to generate my story and story links, my encounters, my parcels, my equipment. Everything not in a reference book like the MM or such. I then generated the module but did not move the module into FG. I created a new campaign. In the new campaign db.xml I copied the entire xml tag from the module db.xml for the following sections battle, encounter, npc, item, image, treasureparcels. I remove the @modulename from all the recordname fields in the campaign db.xml. I had to rename the images and placed them directly into the campaign. Once this was done (about 7 minutes once I figured out what I wanted to do) I had a campaign which I could export, update, export, update, etc. At this point I could add map grids, monsters from the official monster manual. Screwed around with tokens. Place encounter tokens of maps. All the stuff easier to do in FG. I think I now have the best of both worlds.

I also found that if I found I needed to re par5e them I could simply use a diff tool (I use WinMerge) and diff the campaign db.xml from the module db.xml (ignoring white space and line format) and get a good idea of how to merge the changes to the campaign db.xml.

I think is would be fairly easy to generate a script to convert a module db.xml file to a campaign db.xml file. Or for that matter quickly take a module and convert it to an editable campaign. Maybe for another day.

eryndur
June 26th, 2015, 16:14
Eryndur: it looks like your input is being mostly processed correctly - it got past the XML stages (where it often hangs if something is formatted incorrectly). Try deleting the output folder and making sure you have permissions to write to wherever your FG Modules Path is set to. If it still fails, you could always try zipping up the contents of the output folder manually and renaming the .zip file to .mod and see if that works (there's a chance that Par5e is stuck at the zip stage)

Zipping the output contents and renaming to .mod did the trick! Thank you SO MUCH, @itsdvw!

Another quick question for you guys: Since the latest version of PAR5E removed the field for entering the path for a thumbnail image, how do I go about adding an image for .mod files?

noelyuk
June 26th, 2015, 16:29
There's probably a better way. But if you unzip the completed mod, then add in the thumbnail.png file then rezip the file the thumbnail should appear.

eryndur
June 26th, 2015, 17:33
Hmm. That didn't seem to work for me. Just drop the thumbnail into the output folder, or nest it into the images folder within the output folder? Regardless, I tried both (after zipping and unzipping), and nothing's showing up.

Anyway, on to a new issue! ;) I just started par5ing a DDAL module, completing the first page which consists of the adventure's overview and credits. I'd like the Overview to appear first, followed by the Credits. So I marked it up as follows:

#@;Embers of Elmwood
##;Overview
#bp;Adventure Code: DDEX2-2
A derelict raft drifts into Mulmaster’s harbor carrying a young woman. Delirious with hunger, the only words she seems able to speak so far have been “ash and fire.” The only other clue to her identity is an ornate tattoo. Is the woman insane, or is something nefarious at play? An adventure for 1st-4th level characters.
##;Credits
#bs;Adventure Design: Daniel Helmick
#bs;Development and Editing: Claire Hoffman, Chris Tulach, Travis Woodall
#bs;D&D Organized Play: Chris Tulach
#bs;D&D R&D Player Experience: Greg Bilsland
#bs;D&D Adventurers League Wizards Team: Greg Bilsland, Chris Lindsay, Shelly Mazzanoble, Chris Tulach
#bs;D&D Adventurers League Administrators: Robert Adducci, Bill Benham, Travis Woodall, Claire Hoffman, Greg Marks, Alan Patrick
#bs;Debut: March 13, 2015
#bs;Release: April 1, 2015

The problem is, when I load it into FG, the order is reversed. Credits first, then Overview:

Anyone know why this is happening?

OneSidedDie
June 26th, 2015, 18:36
Anyone know why this is happening?

Yep, it puts story entries in alphabetical order. Two ways I do it, either number your entries or do a separate table of contents with a zlink. I do both but if it's short numbering by itself is sufficient.
##;00 Overview
Text

##;01 Credits
Text

Nylanfs
June 26th, 2015, 18:36
It sorts alphanumeric.

eryndur
June 26th, 2015, 18:38
Excellent. Thanks, guys!

eryndur
June 26th, 2015, 19:28
I reported an issue last week whereby PAR5E is failing to archive module output, which then prevents the nonexistent archive from moving to FG. This is the message I receive at the end of a PAR5E:
Cook : module archive ...[Failed - WARNING] Thanks to @itsdvw, I have a workaround which is to select the output files, zip them, rename the zip file to .mod, and then move it into FG, but this has become tedious when I want to check how small changes appear within Fantasy Grounds as I PAR5E material.

I'm guessing that the issue is with OS X's default archiving app, called "Archive Utility". If PAR5E runs in Java, is it looking for the JAR Launcher when it gets to the point when it wants to archive module output? But somehow Archive Utility is preventing PAR5E from opening it, because it's the default archiver, and doesn't have an option to save compressed files as .jars? If I'm right about PAR5E archiving using the JAR Launcher, does anyone know of a way to have PAR5E open the JAR Launcher at this stage of the par5ing process?

eryndur
June 27th, 2015, 17:40
Another day, another hiccup. I made a treasure parcel and par5ed it, no problems. The items are 25 GP, 1 Gold Chain, 2 Healer's Kits, 2 Herbalism Kits, and 2 Potions of Healing. When I open the parcel in FG, the item names, subtypes, cost, and weight are there for all of them EXCEPT for the Potions of Healing. In addition, NONE of the items have any description text. You can see this here:

However, when I click on the individual items from the Items toolbar icon, their full entry appears without issue, as can be seen here:

I've triple-checked the syntax for both my parcels.txt and equipment.txt entries, and everything is running through PAR5E seamlessly.

parcels.txt:

#@;Embers of Elmwood
##;The House of Suffering
coin;25;GP
item;1;Gold Chain
item;2;Potion of Healing
item;2;Herbalism Kit
item;2;Healer's Kit

equipment.txt:

#@;ADVENTURING GEAR
#th;Item;Cost;Weight
#st;Standard
Potion of Healing;50 gp;0.5 lb.
Gold Chain;20 gp;-
#st;Equipment Kits
Healer's Kit;5 gp;3 lb.

#@;TOOLS
#th;Item;Cost;Weight
#st;Artisan's Tools
Herbalism Kit;5 gp;3 lb.

Gold Chain. -

Potion of Healing. A character who drinks the magical red fluid in this vial regains 2d4 + 2 hit points. Drinking or administering a potion takes an action.

Healer's Kit. This kit is a leather pouch containing bandages, salves, and splints. The kit has ten uses. As an action, you can expend one use o f the kit to stabilize a creature that has 0 hit points, without needing to make a Wisdom (Medicine) check.

Herbalism Kit. This kit contains a variety of instruments such as clippers, mortar and pestle, and pouches and vials used by herbalists to create remedies and potions. Proficiency with this kit lets you add your proficiency bonus to any ability checks you make to identify or apply herbs. Also, proficiency with this kit is required to create antitoxin and <i>potions of healing</i>.

Any ideas why this is happening?

brustmlj
June 27th, 2015, 18:03
I have had success putting the Potion of healing in a magicitems.txt file. Not sure if Parse is somehow keying on the Potion word and having weird behavior. As to the description being missing I believe this is a bug and I have noted this before. Parcels are not the direct equipment items they are copies and I believe the parse process is simply not copying certain descriptions (like equipment) to parcels.

brustmlj
June 27th, 2015, 18:04
If you would like to PM me your full text files I might be able to see why the process is aborting and not generating the zip. I think parse should work on mac because that is what the developer uses so I think that means the process is aborting early.

eryndur
June 27th, 2015, 18:05
I have had success putting the Potion of healing in a magicitems.txt file. Not sure if Parse is somehow keying on the Potion word and having weird behavior. As to the description being missing I believe this is a bug and I have noted this before. Parcels are not the direct equipment items they are copies and I believe the parse process is simply not copying certain descriptions (like equipment) to parcels.

I had the same thought about the word "potion" confusing the program, and tried to put it in magic items, but with the same results unfortunately. Still, good to hear I'm not the only one experiencing the description text bug!

Zeus
June 28th, 2015, 09:26
@Eryndur: A Potion of Healing is not an equipment item, its a magical item. Therefore remove it from equipment.txt and add it to magicitems.txt and re-parse, it should then appear in your Parcel.

brustmlj
June 28th, 2015, 16:50
Wow the completed projects list looks great. When can we hope to see some more of those things available in the store.

eryndur
June 29th, 2015, 02:36
@Eryndur: A Potion of Healing is not an equipment item, its a magical item. Therefore remove it from equipment.txt and add it to magicitems.txt and re-parse, it should then appear in your Parcel.

That did the trick. Thanks Zeus! Any idea about parcels.txt not pulling equipment descriptions from equipment.txt?

Jdorty
July 1st, 2015, 20:19
Does the 3.5 option in Par5e work? I don't see any recent info regarding it, but it is an option in the program. The documentation doesn't have any information and I can't get it to accept NPC parses without an error. I can convert a 5e to 3.5e, but then it causes errors inside of FG.

Edit: I'm guessing probably not due to this on the first page: "Anyhow I hope to have an alpha version I can release for testing in the next two-three weeks (subject to available time really) this unless I decide to move to OOP in which case maybe a month. Given 5E will be in flux for good while yet as well as the enormity of the 3.5E/4E/5E support", but it says a few weeks and the last edit on the OP is Last edited by Zeus; March 24th, 2014 at 06:20. So I was unsure if this text was simply unedited or never gotten around to. If it doesn't work, is there a good way to format in 5E and change to 3.5E or is it not worth the effort?

Thete
July 2nd, 2015, 01:22
Does the 3.5 option in Par5e work? I don't see any recent info regarding it, but it is an option in the program. The documentation doesn't have any information and I can't get it to accept NPC parses without an error. I can convert a 5e to 3.5e, but then it causes errors inside of FG.

Edit: I'm guessing probably not due to this on the first page: "Anyhow I hope to have an alpha version I can release for testing in the next two-three weeks (subject to available time really) this unless I decide to move to OOP in which case maybe a month. Given 5E will be in flux for good while yet as well as the enormity of the 3.5E/4E/5E support", but it says a few weeks and the last edit on the OP is Last edited by Zeus; March 24th, 2014 at 06:20. So I was unsure if this text was simply unedited or never gotten around to. If it doesn't work, is there a good way to format in 5E and change to 3.5E or is it not worth the effort?

The public development is on indefinite hiatus as Par5e is now an in-house tool for 5E content (which I think is awesome as the sooner SW can clear 5E modules the sooner I might get my grubby hands on UnityFG :p )

Not sure about 3.5 but i know Core setting doesn't really work off the bat for reference entries - story entries etc are fine.

What works for me is build it with the 5E setting and then modify the xml in the final archive, or canibalise the xml for another module. You would have to come to your own conclusions as to whether that workflow is more efficient.

Jdorty
July 2nd, 2015, 16:29
The public development is on indefinite hiatus as Par5e is now an in-house tool for 5E content (which I think is awesome as the sooner SW can clear 5E modules the sooner I might get my grubby hands on UnityFG :p )

Not sure about 3.5 but i know Core setting doesn't really work off the bat for reference entries - story entries etc are fine.

What works for me is build it with the 5E setting and then modify the xml in the final archive, or canibalise the xml for another module. You would have to come to your own conclusions as to whether that workflow is more efficient.

When you build it with the 5E, are most of the changes you make things you can do replace all with, or is it a lot more in-depth for editing? Currently I'm just following the format for core books and editing all the XML by hand. Its pretty slow going.

Thete
July 3rd, 2015, 00:54
When you build it with the 5E, are most of the changes you make things you can do replace all with, or is it a lot more in-depth for editing? Currently I'm just following the format for core books and editing all the XML by hand. Its pretty slow going.

Yeah I think search/replace all would cover a good chunk of it, if not you might need to do more selective cut pasting from the Par5e output to your own working xml file. But at least you would have a working xml structure and wouldn't be starting from scratch. I guess it would vary depending on what ruleset you wanted to re-purpose it for. If you're ok spending a couple of weeks experimenting, you might find a productive workflow that saves you time, who can say till you jump in and give it a try.

cas206
July 8th, 2015, 04:44
For those with official Monster Manuals –

Generating 2-4 encounters for each of my AL game sessions was easy enough from within Fantasy Grounds. However, my group size (public game) varies from week to week and isn't known until game day. I wanted to have each strength level of the encounter already set up in advance. Multiplying those 2-4 encounters by 4 strength levels starts to get tedious via the interface. I could do this easier with PAR5E, but wanted the benefit of having purchased the Monster Manual, instead of setting up my own npcs.txt. After some fiddling, I figured out how to do this.

I set up the encounters.txt as usual, but didn't use npcs.txt.
For Example:
#@;Module Part 1

##;Sample Encounter
4;Guard;;

I ran this through PAR5E. In the FG modules directory, I unzipped the mod file that was made by PAR5E, then edited client.xml. For my example, there is a line that looks like this:

<recordname>npc.guard@Module Name</recordname>

I changed this to:

<recordname>reference.npcdata.guard@DD MM Monster Manual</recordname>

Now, when I click to get the creature data sheet from the encounters tab, I get the Monster Manual version of the data sheet. Be aware that I don't use the maps and tokens so I don't know what might have been broken by this manual edit. But the combat tracker stuff seems to work.

TalonHawk
July 9th, 2015, 06:03
What verbage is FG looking for to create a pop up window with choices? For some reason my parsed cleric doesn't give the choice on creation like the official one does. Also trying to get some warlock choices, etc.

And if anyone knows an easier way to create a subclass without having to parse an entire class (I already bought the PHB for FG), I'm all ears :-)

dj-wedge
July 9th, 2015, 17:30
However, my group size (public game) varies from week to week and isn't known until game day. I wanted to have each strength level of the encounter already set up in advance. Multiplying those 2-4 encounters by 4 strength levels starts to get tedious via the interface.

I too struggle with different party sizes - though we have settled into a nice consistent groove lately.

What I do is make the encounter for what is most often the "smallest" size - which tends to be 4 players. So this is pretty easy since most published works assume this size of a party.
Then I will make a second encounter that has a single character increment. So if it makes sense to add 3 kobolds when there is an extra party member, I make a second encounter for that.
Then if I have more than 1 extra, I just add that second "incremental" encounter to the CT multiple times for each additional character present. The only challenge to this is to remember if you pre-placed these monsters you should move them slightly before adding second or third "increments", otherwise they will stack.

This becomes less of an issue when you get to higher levels as a party seems to be able to deal with larger variances in encounter power. So I have started to just make things harder for them and they adapt. The nice thing is that higher levels monsters tend to have more abilities and twists available to them. If the party is underpowered I might just conveniently forget one of the special powers that would probably spell their doom.

Unless that's what I wanted... <evil grin>

ddavison
July 9th, 2015, 18:29
My recommendation for varying party sizes is actually the opposite. Build out the encounters in the largest format you expect that you will need and then place all the tokens. When you run the encounter, you can simply decrease the number appearing and click the calculation button to re-figure the new CR and XP. The excess tokens will no longer be there and will therefore not be placed on your map when you add them to the CT.

Falselight
July 12th, 2015, 00:36
Found it nevermind:p

ianmward
July 18th, 2015, 05:08
I'm not sure if this has been reported before, but I couldn't find it mentioned, so I'll post it here.

I am trying to use Par5E to create a reference manual for my updated Shadowrun ruleset, using the CoreRPG option and a small extension I've created pulling the reference templates and window classes from the 5E ruleset.

Generally, it works well, but I find that the text elements in the output library have type="string" instead of type="formattedtext". This causes console errors. If I edit the created XML and replace the "string" for "formatted text" it works fine.

Am I doing something wrong? or can we change Par5E to fix this please?

Thete
July 18th, 2015, 10:47
I'm not sure if this has been reported before, but I couldn't find it mentioned, so I'll post it here.

I am trying to use Par5E to create a reference manual for my updated Shadowrun ruleset, using the CoreRPG option and a small extension I've created pulling the reference templates and window classes from the 5E ruleset.

Generally, it works well, but I find that the text elements in the output library have type="string" instead of type="formattedtext". This causes console errors. If I edit the created XML and replace the "string" for "formatted text" it works fine.

Am I doing something wrong? or can we change Par5E to fix this please?

Par5e is no longer being updated so you will probably need to keep editing the cooked xml.

Xorn
July 18th, 2015, 16:17
You know, I haven't really looked at the PAR5E thread in weeks, maybe even months, ever since I finished making a PotA adventure module. But there was a big downside to the PAR5E adventure modules, too--which have been mentioned... image grids, pre-placed encounter tokens, and magic items were all really, really horrible in PAR5E.

So I popped back in to see if the updated magic item importing had been updated, to see that the public PAR5E has been frozen.

I won't kid myself or anyone else; I'm really disappointed. I mean, I helped test PAR5E when it was initially being developed. The last bug that was fixed was one of the first bugs I ever found, and I was really excited about that. I decided my next project was going to be another mega-module; the Dragonlance DL modules that I've had since I was in my tweens. But before I made them, I wanted to see if the magic item parsing had been improved, and so I'm kind of sad this morning.

But I'm also really happy. Because to be clear, I'm pretty sure I finished my own PHB before most people had even tried PAR5E. But I use the commercial one (because it gets updated, and it's commercial quality). I have my own Monster Manual, but I use the commercial one (because it's better than mine). I have my own DMG, but I will get the commercial one, because it will be better than what I have. So I'm really happy for the SmiteWorks team--I feel like I've been watching Doug, Moon, and Zeus work on this for so long, and I was so happy when they finally landed the licensing with WotC. It's good for FG, it's good for D&D, and it's good for VTTs in general. WotC has always been horrible with digital representation, with one abortive VTT backing after another, so I'm proud of the SmiteWorks team for what they've accomplished.

People like me, or Griogre, or damned, or any of the community that's been here for sooo long? We're VTT hipsters now--because we knew about FG before it was cool.

What's my point in all this? Just sharing my feelings, right now. I'm disappointed that there won't be a release that updates the magic item coding. In all the years of my FGing before PAR5E, I never made a single library module through XML, and I'm pretty sure that will continue when PAR5E is obsolete do to changes in FG for the better. I'm also really happy for SmiteWorks that it was necessary to stop updating the public version, and I know the quality of the commercial modules will continue. For building adventures, PAR5E only drastically speeds up a few aspects--namely making NPCs, and possibly Encounters and Parcels are faster to build, though not dramatically so. NPCs are the only thing that PAR5E just blows away FG-exported adventures--and that's probably not the end of the world, especially since if you have the MM (and why wouldn't you?) most of your NPCs will be drag-n-drops anyway.

Congratulations, SmiteWorks.

WansumBeats
July 19th, 2015, 17:21
Xorn.... great to see your back... i posted some questions to you on Google+ that never got answered... but dont worry about that now.. im sure i figured it all out..

I started using par5e after watching all your videos.. and man did i make a stink on this forum about it getting frozen.. Turns out i was wrong. Ive recently (after some serious trial and error and with a MASSIVE THANKS TO TRENLOE and others) figured out its actually really easy to make a module in FG. There is of course a couple things i dont like (exporting TOKENS TOKENS TOKENS need work), but after some research and figuring out the CTRL keys I can officially say i think im done with par5e.

Im really hoping they put alot of thought and effort into making modules easier to make. And when i hit export i just want to see one thing... when i open up a new campaign id like to see the module open up exactly as i had it in the campaign i built it in. Dungeon fluff tokens, tables and chairs, grids, pins all that stuff just exported so i can export a finished product.. not half a product where another DM has to populate with tokens ect.

Overall though i use the autohotkey in notepad to go over the story and shrink the double spaces and its really actually a piece of cake. I also bought the books online and im here to say... people just spend the money.. youll save so much time and energy. it literally takes days to make the books from par5e. Go mow lawns for a day and make 50 bucks and buy the books.

Doug if you read this.. im sorry for blowing up in the forum. Im afraid i have to admit that shutting down par5e was a good idea. Now that the modules have been fixed so cleric domains work ect your versions arent so bad..
Ive been using the MM and just replacing the "crappy MM pogs" with my own (had to get in that last dig ;)) once i figured out how tokens work... its actually pretty good.

Waiting for the DMs guide to come out and ill be buying the prince POA soon... no need for it right now.. i have to much content to get through.

As it stands i still have a use for Par5e for custom content, with the mulmaster traits and bonds and the new hillsfar bonds recently out.. im going to make a compendium of custom material and use the store bought material.

once again doug... i apoligize ;)

Thanks for your hard work :)

Wansum Beats

Draca
July 19th, 2015, 18:57
How does the published materials for 5E work in conjunction with a par5e module?

Lets say i buy Hotdq , does that module have every npc self contained? Or does it look for the Monster Manual to find it ? And if so.... Will a Par5e Monster Manual fit the bill ?
Or do i need to buy the Official MM to work with a Official Module?

Griogre
July 19th, 2015, 19:59
Draca, technically, they are independant of each other. Commercial module have all the monsters in them so you don't need a MM at all unless you want to add more monsters and then you would add them to the campaign you have the PCs in and could use the MM of your choice. The reason for the "technically" is that the modules will all co-exist - *if* they have different internal names. A few people's homemade modules used the same internal name of the official module and they had problems. If you were to run into something like that you would need to re-parse using a different internal name.

I had already made about half of HotDQ when I got the commercial version. Since the internal names were different I was able to open both of them at the same time and take the tokens from my module and copy them over. I got the the HotDQ right before my Friday game and literally ran some encounters from the commercial module and some from mine. :)

@ WansumBeats: Yeah, having the letter tokens in the MM sucks and its going to be the only commercial module I don't get because of the tokens and the organization. I like my organization and tokens so much better and because I normally run my own stuff the MM is the most important book to me. I'd have a hard choice if I hadn't already parsed it before the commercial version was released. I'm think its a given that the letter tokens are there as a result of a WotC restriction to only use "official" 5E MM art - never thinking about what the result would be on monsters with no art. :(

Draca
July 19th, 2015, 23:35
Awesome , i was going to be really sad if i had to buy the monster manual to work with official modules,
Considering i made every token my self for my par5e version.

On a side note: How does one get his par5e monster manual to have a CR listing? ( Well , i guess i should have looked at my check boxes , thank you Xorn , i re watched the tutorial and found my issue!)

ddavison
July 20th, 2015, 03:14
Xorn.... great to see your back... i posted some questions to you on Google+ that never got answered... but dont worry about that now.. im sure i figured it all out..

I started using par5e after watching all your videos.. and man did i make a stink on this forum about it getting frozen.. Turns out i was wrong. Ive recently (after some serious trial and error and with a MASSIVE THANKS TO TRENLOE and others) figured out its actually really easy to make a module in FG. There is of course a couple things i dont like (exporting TOKENS TOKENS TOKENS need work), but after some research and figuring out the CTRL keys I can officially say i think im done with par5e.

Im really hoping they put alot of thought and effort into making modules easier to make. And when i hit export i just want to see one thing... when i open up a new campaign id like to see the module open up exactly as i had it in the campaign i built it in. Dungeon fluff tokens, tables and chairs, grids, pins all that stuff just exported so i can export a finished product.. not half a product where another DM has to populate with tokens ect.

Overall though i use the autohotkey in notepad to go over the story and shrink the double spaces and its really actually a piece of cake. I also bought the books online and im here to say... people just spend the money.. youll save so much time and energy. it literally takes days to make the books from par5e. Go mow lawns for a day and make 50 bucks and buy the books.

Doug if you read this.. im sorry for blowing up in the forum. Im afraid i have to admit that shutting down par5e was a good idea. Now that the modules have been fixed so cleric domains work ect your versions arent so bad..
Ive been using the MM and just replacing the "crappy MM pogs" with my own (had to get in that last dig ;)) once i figured out how tokens work... its actually pretty good.

Waiting for the DMs guide to come out and ill be buying the prince POA soon... no need for it right now.. i have to much content to get through.

As it stands i still have a use for Par5e for custom content, with the mulmaster traits and bonds and the new hillsfar bonds recently out.. im going to make a compendium of custom material and use the store bought material.

once again doug... i apoligize ;)

Thanks for your hard work :)

Wansum Beats

No worries man. We may not always make the right decision for everyone in the community, but we *will* always listen and do our best to consider everyone's point.

Xorn, thanks for the kind words. We didn't get here alone. Your contributions and support, and those of the many other super community members had a huge impact.

Griogre, if you'd be interested in sharing how you organized your MM module, we'd be interested in seeing it. If there is a better way we should be displaying or organizing them, then maybe we can include that as an optional listing. Also, what other images are people creating or making for the tokens? Especially for the tokens that don't have art from the MM?

Zacchaeus
July 20th, 2015, 10:38
Also, what other images are people creating or making for the tokens? Especially for the tokens that don't have art from the MM?

I haven't found the need to create anything apart from a few portraits using tokentool. Having said that I bought tons of tokens from DevonKnight and other people from the Steam DLC list so I've yet to come across a situation where I can't find a token to replace the letters in any of the modules. I pretty much replace every token anyway since I don't like POGs; I only use the top down view ones.

damned
July 20th, 2015, 12:34
...There is of course a couple things i dont like (exporting TOKENS TOKENS TOKENS need work)...

i know there is another thread on this but I cant find it just now... i know its frustrating the heck out of you that your doors and furniture dont export and you think they should. It isnt an advertised feature and it wasnt something that the devs had thought about and its not something that the majority of GMs use.
whilst writing this reply Ive just thought of a way you could do this but it would have an impact on the CT... create an NPC with a door token and add the door npcs to your encounters... kludge? yes. it might work for you...
I personally dont use tokens the way you do - i often dont even have furnishings on the map at all - we all do things differently :)

brustmlj
July 21st, 2015, 19:37
With a small amount of xml editing it is quite easy to look at the campaign db.xml see where tokens are placed and add that to a modules db.xml. I would be nice for integration but it is rather simple in practice.

Griogre
July 22nd, 2015, 06:28
Griogre, if you'd be interested in sharing how you organized your MM module, we'd be interested in seeing it. If there is a better way we should be displaying or organizing them, then maybe we can include that as an optional listing. Also, what other images are people creating or making for the tokens? Especially for the tokens that don't have art from the MM?

Sent you an e-mail.

July 22nd, 2015, 16:41
I'm having trouble getting PAR5e to display debug information, I tried running it from command line with "PAR5e.exe 1" but it just hangs on the splash screen. Anyone know where I'm going wrong?

Zacchaeus
July 22nd, 2015, 18:06
What sort of debug information are you trying to get? Although there is a 'debug level' setting I never found that this did an awful lot. And it (almost) certainly won't assist you in tracking down errors as far as I know.

July 22nd, 2015, 18:24
I would really like to see where my monster stat blocks are failing, it would be nice to see what info is there at all.

Zacchaeus
July 22nd, 2015, 20:50
Indeed. However, debug isn't going to help you there I'm afraid.

You will need to look very carefully through your text file. The format should be exactly like it is in the monster manual. Look for (among other things) extra spaces, spaces where there shouldn't be spaces, missing semi colons ';', semi colons that should not be there, line breaks where there should not be a line break, letters where there should be numbers (o and 0, l and 1 are very common ones, missing commas and full stops.

There's a host of other possibilities.

One thing that I always found useful was not to do too much at a time. Do one monster, par5e it, and then go on to the next one. This way if there is an error then you know exactly which monster is the problem. If you've input a lot try opening up a new text file and cutting everything except one monster into it. Then par5e the original file. Copy another in and par5e and so on.

One thing I will say is that once you know what can cause your text file not to par5e it gets easier spotting those errors.

Xorn
July 24th, 2015, 02:15
When I did the NPCs for PotA, I did them all in one go, so that when I fixed "C ON" I could do a replace all. Same for things like "ld4" to "1d4" and such. When if failed to parse, I cut half the list out to another file and parsed. It still failed. Cut half out again and it worked. I'd narrowed it down to 1/4 of my NPCs very quickly.

Always make sure you do a Find/Replace for 2 spaces to 1 space, and change tilted apostrophes (`) to straight ones ('). Those are the ones that usually catch me.

VenomousFiligree
July 31st, 2015, 08:35
As for zl links for referencenpc, I'll have a look this weekend. I think we consolidated the referencenpc and npc windowclasses in one of the last 5E updates which I need to also change in PAR5E and the 5E library its using.

Was this ever clarified?

Kalastin
August 4th, 2015, 00:30
I have a quick question for everyone. I parsed the player hand book and have the module created, working, and placed in the folder. However I lost all the .txt files to edit and re parse it. Is there a way to access those .txt files using the already created module?

Trenloe
August 4th, 2015, 01:17
Is there a way to access those .txt files using the already created module?
Nope, sorry. :( The format of the module is quite different from the original text files.

FSHSchmo
August 8th, 2015, 13:29
Quick question on building NPCs using Par5e... How do I add the spells to them? The NPCs that I build manually in FG or in the MM you can drag/drop the spells from the PHB and they are on their character sheet.

kylania
August 8th, 2015, 13:59
First post had this in one of the change logs:

FT: #zl;spell;... functionality - individual spells can now be linked to from within formattedtext fields

ddavison
August 8th, 2015, 16:09
Quick question on building NPCs using Par5e... How do I add the spells to them? The NPCs that I build manually in FG or in the MM you can drag/drop the spells from the PHB and they are on their character sheet.

If you are talking about the Innate Spellcasting and Spellcasting sections of the NPC sheet, this can't be done in the public version of PAR5E. For those, you would need to drag the spells over inside of FG and re-export if you wanted similar functionality.

FSHSchmo
August 9th, 2015, 00:52
If you are talking about the Innate Spellcasting and Spellcasting sections of the NPC sheet, this can't be done in the public version of PAR5E. For those, you would need to drag the spells over inside of FG and re-export if you wanted similar functionality.

Gotcha!

Ravnik
August 10th, 2015, 06:30
Hi,
I have a problem parsing the module. It used to work just fine, but since I added the Referencemanual it doesnt finish the module. The log stops at

Make : feats (reference) .................................................. ................. [Completed]

I tried to remove the ref-manual-part... and the feats.txt and nothing worked.
Thank you in advance and keep up the great work.

Level 20 Commoner
August 14th, 2015, 00:46
Heyo,

First of all, amazing tool, Dr. Zeus - it really helps with prepping campaigns and caters to my need for having all the info centralized into one neat module (though SmiteWorks is also credited for that!)

I was hoping someone could help me with this.
I parsed the Adventuring Gear just fine, with the Equipment Pack subtype. When dragging one of the packs (for instance, the Burglar's Pack) into a PC's inventory, it added in just fine as well.

Then I saw Doug's tutorial video on creating a PC (link here (https://youtu.be/nurEMR4JJeU?t=12m42s), shows dragging the pack at 12:42), and when he dragged one of the Equipment Packs into his PC's inventory, it automatically unpacked into its materials. I know he was using the official module, but I was wondering if there was anyway of replicating this behavior with pra5ed modules?

Thanks in advance

FSHSchmo
August 15th, 2015, 23:52
I have a question about parcels. I searched this thread for parcel and did not find anything helpful. I have noticed that my equipment parses correctly and is available in the equipment table with all the fields including description. When I add a piece of equipment to a parcel I believe I have read it makes a copy of the equipment. The parcel is getting created properly but the items copied do not to include the description. Am I doing something wrong?

From equipment.txt

#@;ADVENTURING GEAR
#th;Item;Cost;Weight
#st;Standard
Silver Necklace; 20 gp;-
Tranquilizing Poison;-;-
Poison Dart;-;-
Agate;100 gp;-

Silver Necklace. A silver necklace inlaid with finely cut agates worth 20 gp.

Tranquilizing Poison. DC 10 Constitution Save vs Poison or take 1d4 damage and Poisoned for 1 hour.

Poison Dart. DC 10 Constitution Save vs Poison or take 1d4 damage and Poisoned for 1 hour.

Agate. A small agate worth 100 gp.

From parcels.txt

#@;Defiance in Phlan

##;Mission 1
coin;10;GP
coin;22;SP
coin;52;CP
item;1;Silver Necklace
item;1;Tranquilizing Poison
item;1;Poison Dart
item;1;Agate

##;Mission 2
coin;10;GP
coin;22;SP
coin;52;CP

Thanks

Don't see if this was answered and I am having the same issue. Anybody know how to correct this?

TazarYoot
August 19th, 2015, 18:03
So I'm pretty new to Fantasy Grounds so forgive me if this is a stupid question but doesn't this content just need to be parsed one time by only one person and then the results can simply be transferred and shared or am I missing something?

Trenloe
August 19th, 2015, 18:19
So I'm pretty new to Fantasy Grounds so forgive me if this is a stupid question but doesn't this content just need to be parsed one time by only one person and then the results can simply be transferred and shared or am I missing something?
If the content is protected by copyright (which all WotC 5E material is) then, no, you can't share the parsed module as you'd be breaking copyright laws.

TazarYoot
August 19th, 2015, 18:20
I gotcha, then I have to ask is parsing it to begin with legal?

Trenloe
August 19th, 2015, 18:24
I gotcha, then I have to ask is parsing it to begin with legal?
If you're using the resulting FG module for your own use and not distributing it then you're OK as you're using material you've already purchased for your own (personal) use.

kylania
August 19th, 2015, 18:26
Absolutely, but that's the problem. Even though many of us already purchased the pen and paper versions of whatever we're parsing the fear is that one person would parse whatever, share it with everyone and no one would buy anything from WotC or Smiteworks ever again. :)

TazarYoot
August 20th, 2015, 00:45
When you purchase the 39 dollar full license does that not come with the D&D 5th Edition Players Handbook? It made it sound like 5e ruleset was included with the license but I cannot find it anywhere in my library. Do I need to parse out a whole Player's Handbook just to have the core book in my game?

Trenloe
August 20th, 2015, 00:51
When you purchase the 39 dollar full license does that not come with the D&D 5th Edition Players Handbook? It made it sound like 5e ruleset was included with the license but I cannot find it anywhere in my library. Do I need to parse out a whole Player's Handbook just to have the core book in my game?
You get the 5E ruleset (along with other rulesets) which are the framework to play those games - character sheet, NPC sheet, combat tracker, effects, game mechanics, etc.. You can enter all of the information you need manually. For the 5E ruleset, if you want a PHB library with drag/drop functionality and references, you either have to parse it yourself or buy it as an add on: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EPHBDELUXE

damned
August 20th, 2015, 01:57

Hi TazarYoot can you point to what info/text gives you the impression that it comes with the Players Handbook? If there is blurb out there that is not easily understood SmiteWorks will try to clarify it.

SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds have a license to sell FG compatible 5e material with FG licenses. All the 5e products are add-on products.

WRT Parsing - copyright law allows you to make a copy of products that you have legally purchased including "format shifting" the backup. Sharing this backup copy with another person is breaching copyright.

TazarYoot
August 20th, 2015, 05:05
Naturally I do own the physical PHB but making a digital copy and transposing it into my FG game at this point just seems to be a pretty hefty undertaking that I don't have the time and motivation for after watching the Par5e tutorial. When looking over the licenses I read the following:

This package contains the FULL version of Fantasy Grounds. With it you can:

Run games as the Gamemaster
Join games as a player
Create characters locally to take with you into a game session
Create additional rulesets and modifications
Included Rulesets: D&D 3.5E, D&D 4E, D&D 5E and the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Library modules with D&D 3.5E open gaming content typically found in the SRD. *
Library modules with Pathfinder RPG open gaming content typically found in the PFSRD. *
* enables drag and drop functionality for monsters, npcs, feats, abilities, spells, weapons and armor.

I've bolded the part that basically sounded to me like it included the actual ruleset, I suppose the faults mine for not realizing that the term "ruleset" doesn't actually mean the rules for the game but in actuality means the frameset to play the game. I was under the assumption that the paid add-ons were all just for the modules and pre-made adventures to make life easier and I figured the core game and the rules themselves were included since it said D&D 5e Ruleset included.

I'd been playing on roll20 up until I'd found out D&D 5th is basically fully integrated into Fantasy Grounds so I wanted to give it a shot and see if this might be a more enhanced experience. I had heard so much about how easy it is to make a characters for instance and how you can simply drag and drop stuff onto the character sheets but after seeing it in action I'm realizing its going to be a bigger time and money sink than I think I bargained for. Again, my mistake for not doing as much research as I probably should have, oh well.

Griogre
August 20th, 2015, 05:15
If you still want to research it you can just get the basic rules for $3 which has the 4 classes in the basic rules. If you wanted to run a game to try things out if you got the Lost Mines of Phandelver you also get the basic rules pack.

Having parsed my own stuff prior to Smiteworks getting the license, I can tell you if you have the disposable income the time you would save by buying the reference books is worth it.

TazarYoot
August 20th, 2015, 05:27
Yeah truthfully, I may do end up doing exactly that but I'll probably end up waiting. Need some time to let the bitterness fade a bit, I just can't bring myself to spend any more money on it on principal at this point :P

TazarYoot
August 20th, 2015, 05:30
If you wanted to run a game to try things out if you got the Lost Mines of Phandelver you also get the basic rules pack.
I just want to confirm because after looking at Lost Mines of Phandelver it says below what's included:

Requirements: The 5E Ruleset and one of the following modules: D&D Basic Rules, D&D Comple Core Class Pack or D&D Character Customization Pack

This sounds like the D&D Basic Rules are not actually included in the Module. Anyone able to confirm one way or the other?

Trenloe
August 20th, 2015, 06:24
This package contains the FULL version of Fantasy Grounds. With it you can:

Run games as the Gamemaster
Join games as a player
Create characters locally to take with you into a game session
Create additional rulesets and modifications
Included Rulesets: D&D 3.5E, D&D 4E, D&D 5E and the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Library modules with D&D 3.5E open gaming content typically found in the SRD. *
Library modules with Pathfinder RPG open gaming content typically found in the PFSRD. *
* enables drag and drop functionality for monsters, npcs, feats, abilities, spells, weapons and armor.
Sorry you feel "bitter" for not getting a bunch of 5E drag/drop functionality and PHB etc. libraries in the full FG licence. But, as highlighted above, there was no entry specifically saying that 5E contained library modules with drag/drop functionality - only D&D 3.5E and Pathfinder (due to the OGL).

Just to be clear - you can play the 5E within Fantasy Grounds with a feature rich ruleset without purchasing anything in addition. Try it - manually enter a quick PC and an NPC, put them on the combat tracker and a map and run a quick combat. It's just if you want the pre-entered data from the PHB or the MM or adventure modules in converted electronic FG format then you're either going to have to enter the data yourself (which you're free to do) or purchase one of the add ons (if you feel the cost is worth the time saving against entering all of the data).

Sorry this wasn't clear to you... Don't feel bitter - you've taken the first step into playing D&D 5E (and other RPGs) online with a great application and in an amazing community. Once you get over the initial misunderstanding I'm sure you won't regret that first step...

damned
August 20th, 2015, 09:52
I just want to confirm because after looking at Lost Mines of Phandelver it says below what's included:

Requirements: The 5E Ruleset and one of the following modules: D&D Basic Rules, D&D Comple Core Class Pack or D&D Character Customization Pack

This sounds like the D&D Basic Rules are not actually included in the Module. Anyone able to confirm one way or the other?

The D&D Basic Rules (otherwise purchasable for $3 separately) ARE included in the Lost Mines of Phandelver adventure module but not in the others.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EDDBASICRULES

Unfortunately there is no easier way to describe in the info pages what the difference is between the ruleset and the rules/library. All the mechanics are there but no IP belonging to the Wizards is included. If you type in your Flaming Long Sword correctly it will exactly the same as one that you can drag in from a library source.

The LMoP is a pretty awesome adventure and it includes PreGens and all the maps and monsters and location content required for a good number of RP sessions.

TazarYoot
August 20th, 2015, 11:04
Thanks. Maybe bitters a strong word, I really don't blame anyone other than myself for the misunderstanding. There's a free demo after all and I could have just as easily tried that out and I opted not to. :P and thanks, I'll take your advice and try out a mock combat tonight when I have some time so I can see how the rule set actually enhances the process.

Nylanfs
August 20th, 2015, 13:21
Perhaps Ruleset could be changed to Mechanics?

Trenloe
August 20th, 2015, 18:18
I'll take your advice and try out a mock combat tonight when I have some time so I can see how the rule set actually enhances the process.

A short-ish (8 minutes) video on how to enter a 5E NPC and some basic mechanics is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-POluSDHAc Run it side-by-side when you're doing the same type of data entry in your test 5E campaign.

Attached is an example PC XML file - import into your 5E test campaign by typing /importchar in the chat window and then selecting this file for import. It will create a new character called "AL Test Ranger" (it's a ranger I quickly threw together to play adventurers league). You'll be able to use this fine - just the class, race and background detail links won't work (as they need the PHB module to show the data), nor will the skill detail links. But everything else will be fine - AC, HP, skill rolls, attacks, saves, etc..

Or, you can manually create your own PC.

kylania
August 20th, 2015, 19:33
There's something very soothing about typing in an NPC into FG. :)

Griogre
August 20th, 2015, 22:42
LOL, too true. Also I recommend everyone build one character from scratch without using a library module - that's really how I really learned the ins and outs of the 5E character sheet and know that is really helpful when you are running a game and the players have a problem or question.

itsdvw
August 21st, 2015, 06:17
The D&D Basic Rules (otherwise purchasable for $3 separately) ARE included in the Lost Mines of Phandelver adventure module but not in the others.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EDDBASICRULES

Um... that page you linked said nothing about being included in LMOP. The LMOP page lists basic rules (or character customization pack, or complete core class pack) as REQUIRED for use - the exact same wording as all the other adventure modules. It nowhere implies that the basic rules are included or mentions anything from the basic rules in the "this module includes" section. I don't think LMOP does include the Basic Rules, but if it does, then the store page is lying and leading new people to purchase an unnecessary module.

damned
August 21st, 2015, 06:41
Um... that page you linked said nothing about being included in LMOP. The LMOP page lists basic rules (or character customization pack, or complete core class pack) as REQUIRED for use - the exact same wording as all the other adventure modules. It nowhere implies that the basic rules are included or mentions anything from the basic rules in the "this module includes" section. I don't think LMOP does include the Basic Rules, but if it does, then the store page is lying and leading new people to purchase an unnecessary module.

I actually linked to the store entry for something else that I never ended up writing in that response - my apologies for the misdirection.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24734-Help-Please-downloaded-and-viewed-LMoP-Saturday-morning-by-Sat-night-I-cannot-load&p=217088&viewfull=1#post217088

Im not sure why you feel anyone is lying to you. The LMoP says it needs "Requirements: The 5E Ruleset and one of the following modules: D&D Basic Rules, D&D Complete Core Class Pack or D&D Character Customization Pack" to play. At a later stage they attached the Basic Rules into the product as a bonus. You still need one of them to use the product.

itsdvw
August 21st, 2015, 19:36
I actually linked to the store entry for something else that I never ended up writing in that response - my apologies for the misdirection.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24734-Help-Please-downloaded-and-viewed-LMoP-Saturday-morning-by-Sat-night-I-cannot-load&p=217088&viewfull=1#post217088

Im not sure why you feel anyone is lying to you. The LMoP says it needs "Requirements: The 5E Ruleset and one of the following modules: D&D Basic Rules, D&D Complete Core Class Pack or D&D Character Customization Pack" to play. At a later stage they attached the Basic Rules into the product as a bonus. You still need one of them to use the product.

If they added the Basic Rules into the LMOP pack then the product page should be updated to reflect that. It's unreasonable to expect people to read the forums to find that out. The wording makes it appear that you need to purchase, at minimum, the Basic Rules to use the module and nothing differentiates it from the other adventure modules which do not include the Basic Rules. I know it's only $3 but I'm sure I'm not the only one who purchased both not knowing that one included the other. I don't really want to drag this forum further off-topic though, that's a discussion for somewhere else.

Qoff
August 24th, 2015, 13:46
How to use diatrics? Something like:

´ ^ ~ ç

Words like:

Não, é, serviço, referência, etc.

kylania
August 24th, 2015, 15:31
The tutorial video is pretty old and most of those options were removed and streamlined and explained in the change logs in the first post of this thread:

Engine: Removed module temp path field -- PAR5E now creates (and deletes) a subfolder called output under the root module path at the start of each parse action, the output subfolder is used to compile the final ZIP archive.

Engine: Removed module thumbnail path field -- PAR5E is now hard-coded to look for a file named thumbnail.png in the root of the module path

Qoff
August 24th, 2015, 15:32
The tutorial video is pretty old and most of those options were removed and streamlined and explained in the change logs in the first post of this thread:

Thank you, what about the words with ´ ^ ~ and ç ?

kylania
August 24th, 2015, 15:53
That's a good question! Not sure what to do about that.

TASagent
August 24th, 2015, 16:20
There are a lot of characters that won't parse properly.

What I've done to address this is parse just the story.txt and afterward change the output module to a *.zip and open up the db.xml in a text editor.

Then I just search for a "\" character. Typically there won't be any (or at least many) backslashes in the whole document, so almost all of them will be characters that failed to parse properly. Use this to find and correct characters in your story.txt document, prior to running parse.

If you want to reinsert these special characters, you can find and replace them in the db.xml. First, paste them into a normal FG story node, and open up the db.xml to see what the special character is actually written as. In the case of the û in Faerûn, that is "&#251;". So you can just Find & Replace "Faerun" with "Faer&#251;n". This works best as a single pass at the end, or if you are doing what I have done and generating your story records with Par5e, and then copying them over into a campaign which you will ultimately Export to create your final module.

It is a little bit of work, but not too bad when you get comfortable with it.

itsdvw
August 25th, 2015, 05:16
What I've done to address this is parse just the story.txt and afterward change the output module to a *.zip and open up the db.xml in a text editor.

You can even save a step there and open up the output folder created in the directory above the input folder - it contains all the parsed content of the module ready to be zipped. :) Make your changes to that XML and then zip up the folder and rename to .mod - or just rename the output folder to the name of your module and drop that in your modules folder (FG now looks for folders as well as zipped files for modules, extensions, and rulesets)
Just be sure to zip up or make a copy of anything you change because it'll be overwritten next time you parse.

Qoff
August 27th, 2015, 20:06
When I tried to change the db.xml I couldn't open it on FG.

jajen2003
September 3rd, 2015, 21:50
Is there a way to add a table to a spell description? Much like you would see with Animate Objects, Confusion, Control Weather, Creation, Reincarnate, Scrying, and Teleport?

Draca
September 4th, 2015, 01:05
How would one set up a table with 2,00 items?

I know 100 items uses

dice;d%

Would 2,000 be

dice;d2000
?

jajen2003
September 4th, 2015, 05:05
How would one set up a table with 2,00 items?

I know 100 items uses

dice;d%

Would 2,000 be

dice;d2000
?

I didn't mean a table for all the spells. I meant to be able to add tables to just those spells that had tables associated with them specifically.

damned
September 4th, 2015, 05:43
I didn't mean a table for all the spells. I meant to be able to add tables to just those spells that had tables associated with them specifically.

heh :)
I think Draca is working on a project that might require the use of a d50,000.... it wasnt in response to your Q.

Draca
September 5th, 2015, 05:26
Is there a way to add a table to a spell description? Much like you would see with Animate Objects, Confusion, Control Weather, Creation, Reincarnate, Scrying, and Teleport?

If all else fails , just make a table in the txt file and reference it in the spell description.

jajen2003
September 15th, 2015, 22:58
If all else fails , just make a table in the txt file and reference it in the spell description.

Thanks Draca. I ended up figuring it out. You can't use the #th; command. You just have to use the #h; command and then jump straight into #ts; and #ti; before wrapping up with #te;.

Thanks anyway.

Jake(DM)

jajen2003
September 15th, 2015, 23:01
Is it true that Zeus is on commercialization hiatus and that PAR5E is no longer supported?

I heard a rumor in this thread https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26042-Having-Trouble-with-zl-Links&p=230921&viewfull=1#post230921 from Zacchaeus (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?30572-Zacchaeus) that Zeus was M.I.A. for module commercialization projects and that PAR5E was no longer supported.

Any outstanding troubleshooting from the source is no longer being provided?

[scratches head]

Jake(DM)

Zacchaeus
September 16th, 2015, 12:16
See post #1509 above (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18123-Project-Par5e/page151).

Also whilst trying to find this for you I noted that there have been a number of posts concerning the #zl; functionality above. You may wish to have a browse yourself.

jajen2003
September 16th, 2015, 14:41
See post #1509 above (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18123-Project-Par5e/page151).

Also whilst trying to find this for you I noted that there have been a number of posts concerning the #zl; functionality above. You may wish to have a browse yourself.

Thanks Zacchaeus. I guess that's that then.

So just a recap:

Step 1. Allow community members to help develop community based tools for creating content, since at that time, there was no officially licensed content.
Step 2. Create documentation and provide support for such content creation tools.
Step 3. Acquiring licensing rights from a major partner.
Step 4. Use the same community toolset, and enhance it while taking away the communities ability to have continued support from the tool.
Step 5. Turn around and charge your community members for content, they used to be able to make themselves.
Step 6. Stop supporting the previous mentioned tool.

Ban me from the forums if need be, but that's some ****ed up ****!

You take away a tool from the community, just so you can turn around and use it to make money off them? What the **** is that? The modules aren't even that good. Spelling errors, incomplete text blocks, erroneous information, formatting issues.

Sounds like we all got the shaft on this one. So yeah... ****ed up.

No more money from me. Fool me once.

kylania
September 16th, 2015, 14:53
You can still do everything you've always been able to do with PAR5E. They haven't taken anything away from you and haven't shafted anyone.

You just don't get whatever new features have been added to the internal version. Some of those features you can implement yourself by fiddling with the XML directly, though to be fair hiding all 5E content behind encryption makes that more difficult.

jajen2003
September 16th, 2015, 14:59
#zl;feat;{name} doesn't work. I've done extensive research on the matter. See the thread https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26042-Having-Trouble-with-zl-Links

With no further support, we'll never get the feature back.

I just feel it's really devious to take away a community resource, and then turn around and sell it back to the same community that helped support it. If the modules were done well, I wouldn't mind so much. But the PHB, MM and LMoP mods are so chalk full of ****ups and disorganized (just LMoP on that last one) that it makes it a huge insult.

If you're gonna take it away, at least do a decent job.

This feels like pure, unadulterated capitalism. In the worst possible form.

Zacchaeus
September 16th, 2015, 15:16
Well, apart from the one tiny little niggle which you seem to have found, par5e is still available for use by the community and still does a fantastic job of converting content which you own into a format that FG can use. It doesn't 'create' content; the content must already exist in paper form. It just helps to ease the conversion for those that want to par5e documents for themselves. The modules are in fact superb, but it does take a lot of effort to convert them and inevitably errors will creep in. (Even though I spent 4 days checking over Out of the Abyss I see above at least one small error was missed). If you find errors please report them here and they will get fixed.

In the meantime, I am sorry that you have not had a good experience so far, and if you decide that you want to leave the community then I am sure you will be missed.

ddavison
September 16th, 2015, 15:19
If you like the tool that was built by Zeus, then what is wrong with buying modules that he will personally benefit from when you buy them? You just want him to do all the work for you for free and then complain about the quality of the ones he builds using the tool that he created to make everyone's job easier?

Yes there were errors in the MM, PHB and LMOP but they have gone through a series of edits and updates since then. You can see the list of updates in the last data patch. Very few of these were anywhere close to what I would consider game breaking.

We had essentially two choices to make with official modules:

Build them with a tool other than PAR5E and not reward Zeus with anything for his efforts. Compete directly with him.
Build them with PAR5E but continue to work with him to enhance them.

If you want to go build something to make it easy to build your own modules and make it free for everyone to use, then by all means go ahead. If you want to sell something to make a living and then provide exactly the same thing for free right beside, then please try that out and let me know how well it works for you. What you are complaining about is basically bullshit. Are you really telling me that there are that many people who are going out and buying all the physical copies, cutting them up and scanning them in page by page, running an OCR on it with professional quality OCR tools and then plugging that data into PAR5E?

You are welcome to express your opinion. I obviously strongly disagree with it.

jajen2003
September 16th, 2015, 15:19
HA!

You can continue to drink the Kool-Aid all you want man.

What good is using something, if it's no longer supported. What if you have a problem? What if you need assistance? The one dude who is the authority on the issue sold out. They've proprietized the program and are now selling it back to you. Do you not see how under handed that is?

Zacchaeus
September 16th, 2015, 15:21
[QUOTE=jajen2003;231011I just feel it's really devious to take away a community resource, and then turn around and sell it back to the same community that helped support it. [/QUOTE]

Par5e is not being sold at all, and never was and never will. It's a tool that Zeus created entirely on his own for no monetary or other reward other than the thanks of the community.

jajen2003
September 16th, 2015, 15:22
If you like the tool that was built by Zeus, then what is wrong with buying modules that he will personally benefit from when you buy them? You just want him to do all the work for you for free and then complain about the quality of the ones he builds using the tool that he created to make everyone's job easier?

Yes there were errors in the MM, PHB and LMOP but they have gone through a series of edits and updates since then. You can see the list of updates in the last data patch. Very few of these were anywhere close to what I would consider game breaking.

We had essentially two choices to make with official modules:

Build them with a tool other than PAR5E and not reward Zeus with anything for his efforts. Compete directly with him.
Build them with PAR5E but continue to work with him to enhance them.

If you want to go build something to make it easy to build your own modules and make it free for everyone to use, then by all means go ahead. If you want to sell something to make a living and then provide exactly the same thing for free right beside, then please try that out and let me know how well it works for you. What you are complaining about is basically bullshit. Are you really telling me that there are that many people who are going out and buying all the physical copies, cutting them up and scanning them in page by page, running an OCR on it with professional quality OCR tools and then plugging that data into PAR5E?

You are welcome to express your opinion. I obviously strongly disagree with it.

Doug. Cut the crap man. You took the rug out from under your own people.

If the mods were correct out of the box, then yeah, I wouldn't mind so much. I'd still be willing to buy new mods, if the $120 on mods I spent so far weren't such a good indication of how sloppy they were put together. So don't give me that crap!

I'll buy mods, when they're correct. I don't want to fight with anyone, but to take a community resource, then sell it back to them, that's some US Government type stuff, man.

jajen2003
September 16th, 2015, 15:24
I am currently fine tooth combing through the physical PHB and the PHB mod. I will be posting every single little error I find so that it can be fixed.

Wanna pay me for some copy editing?

And by the by, I was about to cut up my physical copy of Princes. I tested it out with the EE Companion. PAR5E doesn't do what its documentation says it can. So yeah, I do have a problem with that. Don't refer people to use PAR5E if you know it's broken and no longer supported.

ddavison
September 16th, 2015, 15:40
PAR5E is not very good at making adventures in the first place. It is good at doing NPCs, encounters and table and questionably the stories (character conversion for unsupported characters make it less ideal to me), but linking everything on the maps and actually building stuff in a WYSIWYG fashion is faster and better than building it in one tool and then going back through to edit and look for conversion errors in a different UI.

Zeus worked closely with us behind the scenes long before 5E was ever officially supported. He was privy to the entire development process and became a part of our development from a very early stage. We decided that allowing a public tool to be developed and shared in the absence of anything officially announced was best for the community. Common practice would be to lock everything behind an NDA & non-compete and not have anything public at all -- from the very beginning.

You never really addressed my other point too, though. If you are actually considering cutting up and scanning in your physical copy than you represent less than 1% of the consumer population. You might think we are an evil corporate entity for not catering to less than 1% of the consumer population, but I think the majority of the buyers feel differently. I know people would like to see things cheaper, but we don't have control over that aspect. Licenses are what they are. Everybody has to be paid in a Capitalist society. Thankfully, lots of really cool things get made in a capitalist society because "everybody can get paid" there.

jajen2003
September 16th, 2015, 15:53
I'm not adverse to you guys making money. And if you look at my recent purchase history, I'm not adverse to giving you guys money either. And if you look at my forum history, I'm willing to put in the leg work, find fixes and share with everyone.

If PAR5E is a thing, and you have one of your own developers (now), with a HUGE 187 page forum thread about this very thing, with countless people asking for help using it, then either provide the help, or take it away.

If you're not going to support PAR5E anymore, that's your prerogative. You'll run your business however you like, with or without my input. But then make it very clear that users are using PAR5E at their own risk and will not get any official support anymore. The very first page of this thread is very misleading. Zeus still has the damn latest version up advertised, with links to Xorn's tuts. What else are we supposed to think. Then we run into issues here and find out, "Nope. Sorry guys, no help. The guy who made this was bought so he could sell back to you what used to be free."

That was the whole point of this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26002-Any-plans-on-increasing-the-Campaign-Creation-functionality-inside-of-FG-itself

So for those who wanted to still have autonomy about what we could create, could just do it from within Fantasy Grounds. Natively. Without have to use PAR5E at all. But when I posted this, Trenloe locked my thread.

So it feels more and more than you, and say you specifically, because you control the purse strings, are boxing us in. We can't make what we want inside Fantasy Grounds and export it for reuse. And we can't use PAR5E anymore since you've now monetized it. So... yeah, you've put your community inbetween a rock and a hard place. Limited creative functionalliy or buying poorly crafted modules.

jajen2003
September 16th, 2015, 16:02
I'll still support you Doug, and stick it out... but you gotta be flexible here as well. You can, but it's not cool, to just take all your toys and pass them out one at a time. I remember our Skype conversation. You seem like a really REAL and DOWN TO EARTH guy. I'm sure that's it's not all about money. I'll give you money if that's what you need. But you have to give us what we want as well.

Let us make what we want. Either inside FG or via PAR5E, I don't care. Just let us have the ability to make our own stuff. And if the mods aren't so riddled with errors, which I'll do my part to help point out where the mistakes are, I'll buy those too. I don't want to have to cut up books and scan **** all day. But I don't want to feel forced into anything either.

Be reasonable, Doug. I'll still give you $10 a month and buy the mods. Just let me make what I want as well.

ddavison
September 16th, 2015, 16:24
It was definitely my decision on how things played out. It was made with lots of input from Moon_Wizard and Zeus and we knew that there would be some people who took issue with it. Moon_Wizard and I both came from the community before I bought the company in 2009 and brought Moon_Wizard on in Jan, 2010. The community is very important to us and is very valuable to the future of Smiteworks.

There are other things that have to be considered as well,
a) revenue - to ensure that we can grow and start expanding so we can get more done
b) publishers - this links back to #a. We have to keep the best interests of our publishers as a very high priority if we expect to keep agreements for long and if we want to be able to secure additional agreements
c) Time to market - how quickly we can bring things to market has a big impact. If our agreement with Wotc had occurred faster, we likely wouldn't be having this discussion at all.
d) Quality - this is tightly linked with #c and #a. Adding new features and products needs to be balanced with fixing old items and often takes a second and third set of eyes. We depend upon the community quite a bit for this simply because we don't have the resources. New people have started to jump in a more formalized process and I think we are seeing good results from this.

I *am* a fan of capitalism, but Smiteworks is more than that. It is something that I enjoy because I love gaming and I love this program. I left a very high paying job as a Director to do this full time and I have no regrets. I know other people in the industry who similarly love what they do but who are struggling because the revenue isn't right. Community developers get paid a commission on their conversion work but I've had a number of comments that it isn't worth it unless they just love doing the work and contributing back to the community. We are about as transparent as we can be on our pricing, commission structure, etc. We may not get it right, but we're not being sneaky or underhanded about anything.

ddavison
September 16th, 2015, 16:25
We *are* working on more abilities inside FG to make building everything inside of FG much smoother. That takes development time to get right, though, and is having to get balanced across our many other development priorities.

FSHSchmo
September 16th, 2015, 20:50
Let us make what we want. Either inside FG or via PAR5E, I don't care. Just let us have the ability to make our own stuff. And if the mods aren't so riddled with errors, which I'll do my part to help point out where the mistakes are, I'll buy those too. I don't want to have to cut up books and scan **** all day. But I don't want to feel forced into anything either.

Be reasonable, Doug. I'll still give you $10 a month and buy the mods. Just let me make what I want as well.

This statement here really grinds my gears. You can make what you want either inside of FG or using PAR5E now. Does the version of PAR5E that is currently available for public use have all the bells and whistles as the one that Zeus uses to build out the official FG modules? Nope, and I wouldn't expect it to. PAR5E is something that was developed by Zeus and he made it available for the community to use. Did he have to do this? Nope, he could have showed us all these fancy features that it does and tell us to take a hike, but he didn't. I myself have used parse to build adventures, building out my PHB before the official release, some of the DMG, the EEPC, etc and have been quite happy with them and they work just fine. If you don't want to use parse then do it the old fashion way (which is what I currently do for adventures) and copy/paste stuff.

I don't see what the big deal is with the minor errors within the modules when they come out. They have a thread for people to report them so that updates can be applied. It is not like they are saying here, hope its right and if its not go take a long walk off a short pier. Jumping on the forums ranting about how a product with errors shouldn't be sold is uncalled for. They are not game breaking Perhaps you should venture out on your own and develop an online table topping software platform that I'm sure will be 100% error free with all future module release being 100% perfect. Until that happens loosen up, enjoy the countless hours of entertainment that Fantasy Grounds can supply, and have patience while they correct the errors your are currently going nuts posting one line at a time.

ddavison
September 16th, 2015, 22:55
jajen and I chatted a bit on Skype today and I told him the best way to help is to report errors to us. He volunteered to help us list the items that need to be addressed in a more friendly and helpful fashion, so he is loading them into a shared Google Sheets doc now that we can reference for the next data patch.

I think everything is cooled down now.

kylania
September 16th, 2015, 23:28
But.. but.. I'd ordered pitchforks! :pirate:

jajen2003
September 17th, 2015, 00:14
I myself have used parse to build adventures, building out my PHB before the official release, some of the DMG, the EEPC, etc and have been quite happy with them and they work just fine.

In that case then, how do you get the #zl;feat;{name} function to work?

I've done as much troubleshooting on the matter than I can think of, and it won't work. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26042-Having-Trouble-with-zl-Links

I can't make heads or tails of it. All my other #zl; and #zal; links work. But the #zl;feat;{name} is completely inoperable. From all my troubleshooting, it sounds like PAR5E is the issue.

jajen2003
September 17th, 2015, 00:19
jajen and I chatted a bit on Skype today and I told him the best way to help is to report errors to us. He volunteered to help us list the items that need to be addressed in a more friendly and helpful fashion, so he is loading them into a shared Google Sheets doc now that we can reference for the next data patch.

I think everything is cooled down now.

Yep. When through Chapter 5 of the PHB today. Found quite a few corrections that need to be made. About 80% are simple typos or incomplete descriptions, but there are a handful that affect game mechanics. Thanks again Doug for helping out and giving me a way to help out.

dulux-oz
September 17th, 2015, 02:10
but.. But.. I'd ordered pitchforks! :pirate:

lol

ianmward
September 17th, 2015, 02:48
Has this ever worked? Can you go back to a previous version just for that?

Otherwise you can just edit the db.xml and add stuff manually, just Like I do for my Shadowrun Library.

In that case then, how do you get the #zl;feat;{name} function to work?

I've done as much troubleshooting on the matter than I can think of, and it won't work. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26042-Having-Trouble-with-zl-Links

I can't make heads or tails of it. All my other #zl; and #zal; links work. But the #zl;feat;{name} is completely inoperable. From all my troubleshooting, it sounds like PAR5E is the issue.

jajen2003
September 17th, 2015, 05:32
Has this ever worked? Can you go back to a previous version just for that?

Otherwise you can just edit the db.xml and add stuff manually, just Like I do for my Shadowrun Library.

I... I don't know if it ever worked. It was in the PAR5E documentation as such. And Xorn was pretty clear about following the documentation/user guide. It sounds like a lost cause, but I can still hope.

Edit the db.xml file huh? Ok. I'll fat finger my way through that as best I can. :D

FSHSchmo
September 18th, 2015, 02:07
Working on building out the DMG and I have a quick question on #zl. Can I zlink from a referencemanual.txt to a magic item that I created within my magicitems.txt? I have tried the following formats and neither work #zl;item; (this creates a blank item in the current open campaign) and #zl;referencemagicitem (this gives me an error).

brustmlj
September 20th, 2015, 01:08
In order to use #zl here I believe you need to switch from ; separator to : separator. I will give it a test.

Zacchaeus
September 20th, 2015, 11:56
According to the user guide e.g. #zl;referencemagicitem;Dancing Sword should work, provided that obviously you have the #zl; part bracketed by #zls; and #zle; and the thing you are referencing is in the same module. As you might have read from the posts above however there may be some problems with the #zl; function not working, but I don't know if it affects your particular problem.

spite
September 23rd, 2015, 04:43
So I'm relatively new to Par5e (like, 5 hours into using it) and following https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_-013SMvcc&index=4&list=PLePiBJtKmjLn5IzhpakEcVqAHoYfezZbe for how to do it. Backgrounds have parsed perfectly, but on my first class attemt (cleric) I am getting
Write : module xml syntax .................................................. ...... [Mal Formed - WARNING]

How do I find out what is causing the error? I've gone through the text and checked all the common mistakes others had at the same place (hit points issues, equipment with #bp; etc, but can't figure out how to narrow it down. Any suggestions?

edit. Ok I am an idiot. I found what I had done wrong, I had put a space in between a #te and it's ;. However, now it says it's parsed correctly and yet it isn't showing classes in the module within FG.

edit2: holy crap ignore me. Fixed it >.<

Loving this btw!

Nylanfs
September 23rd, 2015, 05:24
Welcome to the community and the unholy vortex of doom that is using Par5e :)

JohnD
September 23rd, 2015, 06:03
So I'm relatively new to Par5e (like, 5 hours into using it) and following https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_-013SMvcc&index=4&list=PLePiBJtKmjLn5IzhpakEcVqAHoYfezZbe for how to do it. Backgrounds have parsed perfectly, but on my first class attemt (cleric) I am getting
Write : module xml syntax .................................................. ...... [Mal Formed - WARNING]

How do I find out what is causing the error? I've gone through the text and checked all the common mistakes others had at the same place (hit points issues, equipment with #bp; etc, but can't figure out how to narrow it down. Any suggestions?

edit. Ok I am an idiot. I found what I had done wrong, I had put a space in between a #te and it's ;. However, now it says it's parsed correctly and yet it isn't showing classes in the module within FG.

edit2: holy crap ignore me. Fixed it >.<

Loving this btw!
The solution never presents itself until after you ask for help on the forums. Welcome! :)

spite
September 23rd, 2015, 07:51
It seems pretty good so far, though I am not looking forward to spells parsing.

Xorn
October 2nd, 2015, 17:35
Spell parsing is actually pretty simple. While there are a LOT of them, they require very little formatting. Classes are the most complex thing to parse, really--as they have the most markup to worry about, and will frequently "work" even when the markup is wrong, so there's a lot of testing to make sure it *really* parsed correctly.

Spells on the other hand are more pass/fail. Either they parsed correctly, or you didn't have the spell list correct, or you missed a line-break in a required line (like components).

I suppose the equipment table require a lot of markup too, but it's not really complicated to do.

MrJeff
October 2nd, 2015, 17:41
I'm making my first tries with PAR5E and using my own house rules as a first trial. I've started loading in my custom races, but is there a way to have it parse races with dual speed types? (Flyers, Swimmers, etc). I'm hoping I can have the speed section display both numbers, (ex 15/30 ), instead of just the walk speed.

I can't seem to find any examples in the forums or the user guide.

Thanks

Zacchaeus
October 2nd, 2015, 18:07
I'm making my first tries with PAR5E and using my own house rules as a first trial. I've started loading in my custom races, but is there a way to have it parse races with dual speed types? (Flyers, Swimmers, etc). I'm hoping I can have the speed section display both numbers, (ex 15/30 ), instead of just the walk speed.

I can't seem to find any examples in the forums or the user guide.

Thanks

You put it in a line such as this

#!;Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet. Your swimming speed is 10 feet. Your Flying speed is 50 feet

Everything after the #!; should parse since all that is expected is text.

MrJeff
October 2nd, 2015, 18:11
You put it in a line such as this

#!;Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet. Your swimming speed is 10 feet. Your Flying speed is 50 feet

Everything after the #!; should parse since all that is expected is text.

Right, and that's close to what I have.

#!;Speed. Your base walking speed is 15 feet. Your base flying speed is 30 feet. You can hover, however you have an altitude limit 10 feet above a solid surface.

I was more wondering... can both speed entries be loaded into the Speed box in the character sheet? That way, we see 15/30 in when we look at the characters speed.

Zacchaeus
October 2nd, 2015, 18:15
Right, and that's close to what I have.

#!;Speed. Your base walking speed is 15 feet. Your base flying speed is 30 feet. You can hover, however you have an altitude limit 10 feet above a solid surface.

I was more wondering... can both speed entries be loaded into the Speed box in the character sheet? That way, we see 15/30 in when we look at the characters speed.

I thought this was where you were going. No, you can't but any special movement would go in the Special Move box in the middle of the Main Tab below the Ac box. This needs to be entered manually I think.

MrJeff
October 2nd, 2015, 18:20
I thought this was where you were going. No, you can't but any special movement would go in the Special Move box in the middle of the Main Tab below the Ac box. This needs to be entered manually I think.

Thanks for the responses, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

spite
October 6th, 2015, 21:51
Ok so I am trying to parse in some monsters who have abilities that cause a con check on their target, and then deal x damage or, x/2 on a successful save. I can see this work with monsters in the monster manual that will automagically cut in half when a successful save is thrown, but after some elementary googling and fiddling, I can't figure out how i need to work it to make it work on my monsters. Any help here?

Gar. As always, I figured it out moments after posting it.
Thanks, universe

spite
October 7th, 2015, 09:24
Ok double post time, I am trying to parse in a new class for a module I am converting into FG.
The class is a Monster Hunter from the Monster Hunter series, and it seems to parse in correctly, but what I am trying to make it do is select a path similar to a cleric domain.
Here's the info I have in relevant to it at the moment.

#fe;Trap Maker;1
As a hunter of large monsters, you have learned how to create traps capable of ensnaring them either for capture or to aid in defeating them. At 1st level, you can use trap tools to create pitfall traps and shock traps on the go, to create these traps you need materials to craft them equal to half the cost of the trap you are creating. In addition, you can make improvised traps from the environment in much the same way. To create an improvised trap, you must have access to trap tools and succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom (Survival) skill check, if you do you create an improvised pitfall trap, this trap acts the same as a regular pitfall trap.
#fe;Weakness Exploit;2,7,11,17
Starting at 2nd level, as a bonus action you may make a Wisdom (Perception) skill check on a larger or larger creature to determine its weakness. The DC of this check is equal to 10 + Half The Creature’s CR(rounded up). If you pass this skill check you gain a +1 to attack rolls against that creature for 1 hour. This bonus increases to +2 at 7th level, +3 at 11th level, and +4 at 17th level.
#fe;Ability Score Improvement;4,8,12,16,19
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
#fe;Extra Attack;5,13
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
The number of attacks increases to three then you reach 13th level in this class.
#fe;Hunter’s Cunning;9
Beginning at 9th level, when you use a bomb or coating, the DC of the attack becomes 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier instead of the bomb’s normal DC.
#fe;Master Trapper;15
Beginning at 15th level, when a large or larger creature becomes snared in your trap, you may add your Wisdom modifier to the number of rounds that the creature is incapacitated.
#fe;Unshakable;18
Starting at 18th level, you cannot be Frightened or Stunned, and if you are knocked prone, you may use a reaction to make a DC 16 Dexterity saving throw to not be knocked prone.
#fe;Latent Power;20
At 20th level, you can unlock your latent potential and tap into a power few others could imagine. Using your action you break through the mental locks holding your physical abilities back. For 1 minute, you gain a bonus to your attack and damage rolls, and to your AC equal to your Wisdom modifier.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.
#abh;Hunter's Path;3,6,9,10,14
Through your training you have managed to become adept with one particular style of hunting. The Hunter Path you choose reflects your prowess with your hunting style.
#ab;Path of the Blademaster
Through tireless effort, you have learns the ways of melee combat and favor it over all others. Whether it be hammer or blade, lance or dagger, you know the ins and outs of how to go toe to toe with anything right in front of you.
#abf;Melee Specialization;3
When you take this path at 3rd level, you may select one melee specialization from the list below.
#ts;
#th;Specialization;Description;
#tr;Dual Blade;While wielding a short sword or dagger in each hand, whenever you make a second attack with your off-hand weapon, you can add you ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.
#tr;Greatsword;While wielding a greatsword, you may spend your move action to deal an additional 1d4 damage when you hit with an attack.
#tr;Sword and Shield;While wielding a sword and a shield, you may use your shield arm to interact with items and objects as though it was an open hand. In addition, while wielding a sword and a shield, after you make a successful attack, you may use a bonus action to make the disengage action and then move half your speed.
#tr;Longsword;While wielding a longsword in 2 hands, you may spend a bonus action after making a successful attack to make a second attack with the longsword. This second attack does not gain your Strength modifier to the damage roll.
#tr;Hammer;While wielding a warhammer in 2 hands, you may spend a bonus action after making a successful attack to attempt to KO the monster. Make another attack roll, if this attack hits the monster must make a Constitution saving throw with a DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength modifier. If they fail they are stunned for 1 turn.
#tr;Lance;You may wield a lance in one hand and a shield in the other, even while not mounted. In addition, you no longer have disadvantage to attack targets within 5 feet of you.
#tr;Gunlance;When you use the shelling property of the gunlance, creatures that succeed on their Dexterity saving throw still take half damage.
#tr;Switch Axe;While wielding a switch axe, if you make a bonus action to use the explosive burst property other creatures around your target must pass a Dexterity saving throw with a DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier, or take half the damage of the explosive burst.
#tr;Charge Blade;While wielding a charge blade, if you make a bonus action to use the explosive burst property other creatures around your target must pass a Dexterity saving throw with a DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier, or take half the damage of the explosive burst.
#tr;Insect Glaive;Insect Glaives count as having the Finess property while you are wielding them. In addition you may add your Dexterity modifier to the damage dealt by your kinsect attacks.
#te;
#abf;Master of Sharpening;6
Starting at 6th level, you may use a whetstone to give any melee weapon the Sharpened property. In addition, the effects of the whetstone last for 1 hour instead of 1 minute.
#abf;Melee Mastery;10
At 10th level you gain a Mastery of the specialization that you chose when you first chose this path. The list below shows the benefits of each mastery.
#ts;
#th;Specialization;Mastery
#tr;Dual Blade;During your turn, you may spend an action to enter Demon Mode for 1 minute. While in Demon Mode, you do not have to spend a bonus action to make a second attack while two-weapon fighting. This means you may make a second attack after each attack triggered by the Extra Attack feature.
#tr;Greatsword;While wielding a greatsword, you may use an action to make a charged attack. This charged attack doubles the amount of damage dice you roll and adds twice your Strength modifier to the damage instead. You may only use this attack once per round and as soon as you make this attack your turn ends.
#tr;Sword and Shield;While wielding a sword and a shield, as a reaction you may reduce the damage of an attack by half after the damage has been rolled. In addition, after using a bonus action to disengage, you may make another attack against another target with a bonus to the damage equal to your Dexterity modifier
#tr;Longsword;When you spend a bonus action to make a second attack with your longsword, you may add your Strength modifier to the damage roll.
#tr;Hammer;When you attempt to KO a monster with a warhammer, you may impose disadvantage on the creature’s Constitution saving throw.
#tr;Lance;If you move your entire speed directly towards a creature and then make an attack against that same creature with a lance, you gain +2 to the attack roll and deal an additional 1d8 damage.
#tr;Gunlance;After you make a successful melee attack with a gunlance, you may spend a bonus action to use the shelling property of the gunlance. the creature you hit with the melee attack must be included in the shelling attack’s cone.
#tr;Switch Axe;When you make an Explosive Burst attack with the switch axe, you deal 1d8 fire damage per charge expended instead of 1d6 fire damage.
#tr;Charge Blade;After you make an Explosive Burst attack with the charge blade, you may attempt to KO the monster. Make another attack roll, if this attack hits, the monster must make a Constitution saving throw with a DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength modifier. If they fail they are stunned for 1 turn.
#tr;Insect Glaive;You may spend a bonus action to make a Kinsect attack. In addition you kinsect now deals 2d6 slashing damage.
#te;
#abf;Second Melee Specialization;14
At 14th level, you select a second melee specialization and gain its benefits as well. You may not select the same specialization more than once.
#ab;Path of the Gunner
You have realized the benefits of staying back from the main combat. You prefer to stay at range, raining down attacks on your foes from a safe distance. While some might call you a coward, you prefer tactics to brute force, and are rewarded in a different way for such thought.

spite
October 7th, 2015, 09:31
Cause I ran out of letters in the above, I want it to behave similar to how the cleric domain selection behaves, in that when you apply the class to a character sheet, it requests the skills (which works) and then requests the chosen Path (domain, in clerics case).
How do I do that, what am I doing wrong above?

Zacchaeus
October 7th, 2015, 11:24
I don't think you can. The version of par5e which was used to create the PHB is not the same one as is available here. When Smiteworks obtained the WotC license par5e stopped being developed as a community tool and was taken over by Smiteworks to be used solely by the developers. Since then functionality has been added and one of those things was adding in the Cleric domain as an option when the class was dragged in. You can still drag the domain into the Abilities tab however so not all is lost :)

spite
October 7th, 2015, 20:21
Ahh that explains that then! At least I'm not crazy haha

GunnarGreybeard
October 14th, 2015, 18:24
Argh!!! . . it just took me an hour to figure out that you can't use '-' for default weight in the "TACK, HARNESS, AND DRAWN VEHICLES" section. You have to use an actual '0'.

Zacchaeus
October 14th, 2015, 20:39
Argh!!! . . it just took me an hour to figure out that you can't use '-' for default weight in the "TACK, HARNESS, AND DRAWN VEHICLES" section. You have to use an actual '0'.

But the main thing is that you know now :)

spite
October 15th, 2015, 20:04
Is there a way I am missing to make rollable tables that spit out items that I can drag, IE: loot tables? The guide in the Par5e guide PDF just gives me the names of things, and I need to then either create the items or search for them in the equipment to drag them over. I'm wondering if there is a way to drag the table result onto someones equipment tab and it fill in with an item. Any help?

Zacchaeus
October 15th, 2015, 20:36
The function #zl; does link to things but only in the same module. See page 35 of the DD5E pdf for more details.

spite
October 15th, 2015, 21:03
Ahh that looks like it should accomplish what I am after! Thanks very much!

rob2e
October 16th, 2015, 13:03
I for the life of me can't figure out this par5e utility. I watched the tutorial YouTube, but the GUI is very different now.

All I want to do is put tokens into fantasy grounds but i keep getting path and dir errors...

Is there a step by step for this anywhere, I spent the better part of an hour looking for instructions. Reading the par5e PDF isn't helping me.

Anyone?

ThanX!

Moon Wizard
October 16th, 2015, 13:19
You don't need to build a module to add tokens to Fantasy Grounds. YOu just need to add to the tokens/shared/ or tokens/host/ subdirectories in the FG data directory.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Data_Files_Overview

If you really want to build a token module, you don't need Par5E for that either.

Make a copy of lettertokens.mod from the modules subdirectory of the FG data directory.
Rename new copy to add .zip extension to the end of the file.
Extract the contents.
Edit the definition.xml file to add your own custom details.
Replace the contents of the tokens folder with your own tokens.
Zip the definition.xml and tokens folder into a new .zip file.
Rename the file to something ending in .mod
Place the new module file into the modules subdirectory of the FG data directory.

Regards,
JPG

rob2e
October 16th, 2015, 14:15
ThanX! This helped me BIG TIME!!! And it worked. I offer the sum of two brown bananas and one still as yet unexpired strawberry yogurt to come live with me for a week and teach me everything you know!

spite
October 16th, 2015, 20:30
Didn't see it was already answered over page. Damn my inattentiveness

edit; f,b >.<

Ruso
October 24th, 2015, 02:10
does someone have the PHB 5e to share, please? Thank you.

damned
October 24th, 2015, 02:14
does someone have the PHB 5e to share, please? Thank you.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EPHBDELUXE

Pirating is not allowed here.

Ruso
October 24th, 2015, 02:17
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EPHBDELUXE

Pirating is not allowed here.

Sorry... not my intention... I saw videos of people using the PAR5E to create the PHB and add it to FG, that's why I asked.

spite
October 24th, 2015, 02:18
They are using their own copies to do that.

Ruso
October 24th, 2015, 02:21
But if I buy what dammed linked, I do not have to use PAR5E to add it to FG, right?

Edit: Sorry, I'm new to FG, still do not know how it works.

damned
October 24th, 2015, 02:34
Thats right - that link is to the whole PHB in Fantasy Grounds format.
You can get the Basic Rules for $3 which is a really good taste of the fill thing.

As spite said - the Par5e tool - and a lot of editing and practice will let you convert your own scanned and OCRd copy of the PHB into FG format.

ArteF
October 24th, 2015, 19:18
Okay so I finally have some time to try out the Parser again.

I'm attempting to parse into 5e Fantasy Grounds a homebrew class below is the link: If anyone who knows how this program works sees any issues please let me know. I'm going to basically start from scratch on this loading the specific programs used in the video tutorial.

Here is a link of the homebrew class "Runeseeker": https://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1271

it's the pdf download

Wish me luck!

Griogre
October 24th, 2015, 20:27
LOL, good luck :)

ArteF
October 24th, 2015, 21:57
Thanks, I'm pretty much half way done I think.. well 1/3... half the editing done the other 3rd may be actually trying to parse it and figuring out where I messed up.

Didn't realize a help me was in the parser itself, that and the video has made this much easier. This is now hour 4 on this thing I believe XD. But it's kind of fun.

Zacchaeus
October 24th, 2015, 22:30
Artef; don't try to parse too much at once. Parse in little chunks - especially if this is your first time. There will be errors and it is much easier to track those down in a small bit rather than the whole thing.

ArteF
October 25th, 2015, 00:16
Lol, well... yea but I can't even get out the door on this.

I did the entire class on notepad but parse can't find it to parse it.

I put it in the parse folder, made a folder for it and in it is input/class.txt

the directory proper is:

Homebrew Source PDF/input/class.txt

I'm setting par5e to .../homebrew source pdf

It's giving me back:

[Created]
Parse : class .................................................. ................ [Invalid Path - WARNING]

ArteF
October 25th, 2015, 01:09
Right I believe I understand the issue, I need to have a background in order to have a class, from what I'm reading around the forums, Par5e will give back invalid path if there iis no background.txt in the input folder.

Edit...
This isn't the case, it simply doesn't detect the class.txt file inside the input folder. Reading throought the forums makes me wish this was as simple as me setting up the directories incorrectly.

The FG folder works fine as its giving me the class in the modules for FG, the issue is that it's basically blank aas it itsn't collecting information from my class.txt

Edit again...

Gonna take a break, I've gone at this in many different ways, tried changing directories moved the input/class.txt files around. Tried just going directly to it, tried setting it to no drive and putting in the exact directory under relative source/folder column.

Nothing is working.

damned
October 25th, 2015, 04:51
try using one folder higher than expected...
Homebrew Source PDF/

Zacchaeus
October 25th, 2015, 12:17
Artef; You need to put par5e on your C: drive. My file structure is C:/Par5e/Par5e-windows/Module name/input. You need to create the folder called input and another called output in the same directory. Your .txt file should be saved to the input folder and parse will output stuff to the output folder.

There was a change in the way par5e created and saved stuff some months ago becasue sometimes par5e was doing nasty things to certain folders. The videos haven't been updated to reflect that change. So in the path information in the configuration menu your module path will be c\par5e\par5e-windows\module name, and the FG modules path should point to the FG modules folder within AppData.

ArteF
October 25th, 2015, 13:03
I'll give both ideas a shot.

1. It is on my C drive.
2. I did try going back to the par5e-windows folder, it creates the output but still doesn't pick up the class.txt in the input folder.

par5e-windows/homebrew source pdf/input/class.txt

Zacchaeus
October 25th, 2015, 13:13
Oh, one other thing from way back in my memory. Is it possible that when creating a class you also need to check the tables in the Cmp line on the configuration page?

GunnarGreybeard
October 25th, 2015, 14:15
Oh, one other thing from way back in my memory. Is it possible that when creating a class you also need to check the tables in the Cmp line on the configuration page?
I don't believe you need to do that, my 'template' classes process without doing it.

ArteF
October 25th, 2015, 20:56
Whole directory:
C:\Users\Wind\Desktop\PAR5E-windows\Homebrew Class\input

Module Path:
C:\Users\Wind\Desktop\PAR5E-windows\Homebrew Class\

class.txt location:
C:\Users\Wind\Desktop\PAR5E-windows\Homebrew Class\input\class.txt

Am I messing it up?

Zacchaeus
October 25th, 2015, 22:50
Whole directory:
C:\Users\Wind\Desktop\PAR5E-windows\Homebrew Class\input

Module Path:
C:\Users\Wind\Desktop\PAR5E-windows\Homebrew Class\

class.txt location:
C:\Users\Wind\Desktop\PAR5E-windows\Homebrew Class\input\class.txt

Am I messing it up?

Yes, I think so. The directory should be C:\Par5e\Par5e-windows\Homebrew\Input.

As I said above the directory needs to be in the top of the drive, not in users. This is where I have mine and it works from there

damned
October 25th, 2015, 23:34
I have mine in my users folder. Im not parsing 5e - Im building another library module - and so far its working quite well - once I got used to it!

spite
October 26th, 2015, 03:40
I keep having issues trying to parse a token for a monster in the Monster a Day module.

The token is tentaghoul.png
The monster is called Tentaghoul
However I keep get it spitting out this https://puu.sh/kXObc/a1f562f403.png
I've deleted the output folder, remade the token, double checked the spelling but still cant get it to work. Any help?

zeracool2k
October 26th, 2015, 04:17
Check the immediate previous image (sire of stagnation), it could be corrupted.

At some point, I couldn't upload a token because the previous one had problems (the error showed for token N, but the problem was with token N-1).

spite
October 26th, 2015, 04:46
I'll give that a shot

spite
October 26th, 2015, 05:45
It hasn't helped. I might have to look at redoing all 70. I've tried the ones on either side of it and none has helped now. :(

I have just done it all over once more, and it is still happening. I have no idea why. Here is the parse info I am using, in case it is that.
Also, I notice the image file doesnt parse either, meaning the JPG in the images file is ignored (not failed, just ignored) in the parse log. WhaddddoooIdooo. I have already deleted and remade the image in the images file too.

Tentaghoul
Large Undead, Chaotic Evil
Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points 76 (9d10 + 27)
Speed 40 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA 19 (+4) 9 (-1) 16 (+3) 7 (-2) 8 (-1) 7 (-2)
Damage Resistances necrotic, bludgeoning
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 9
Languages Common, Giant
Challenge 3 (700 XP)
Stench. Any creature that starts its turn within 10 feet of the tentaghoul must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned until the start of its next turn. On a successful saving throw, the creature is immune to the tentaghoul's Stench for 24 hours.
Turning Defiance. The tentaghoul and any ghouls within 30 feet of it have advantage on saving throws against effects that turn undead.
ACTIONS
Tentacle. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a creature other than an undead, it must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or be paralyzed for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

With some more testing, I have copied the text from the tentaghoul in the npcs.txt named it something else, given that something else a new image and token and then tentaghoul parsed ok, and I instead had the issue with the new monster.
With tentaghoul parsing ok, I removed the new monsters text and images/token and reparsed. This reverted the tentaghoul back to spitting out errors.
I am completely at a loss, so I've just left in the "fake" monster so my tentaghoul comes in fine. No idea what is going on though.

centerNegative
October 27th, 2015, 05:46
Hey, folks, nubcake here. I've just about finished my 5e PHB module creation, and in doing the referencemanual.txt I've run into a lot of issues with '#zl;' link lists. The following lists given in the Par5e guide break in the parsed module:

#zl;abilitylist;Abilities
#zl;backgroundlist;Backgrounds
#zl;classlist;Classes
#zl;skilllist;Skills

I haven't tried featurelist, npclist, magicitemlist, specialitylist, or traplist yet so I don't know how that'll pan out. The rest work just fine.

I've tried several permutations of these formats and all have failed spectacularly with the following results:

#zl;classlist;Classes
Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (reference_classlist : reference.classlists.byclass@5e Player's Handbook)
#zl;classeslist;Classes
Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (reference_classeslist : reference.classeslists.byletter@5e Player's Handbook)
#zl;classlists;Classes
Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (reference_classlist : reference.classlists.byclass@5e Player's Handbook)
#zl;classeslists;Classes
Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (reference_classeslist : reference.classeslists.byletter@5e Player's Handbook)
#zl;classes;Classes
***No link is parsed.

#zl;backgroundlist;Backgrounds
Script Error: [string "common/scripts/windowtitlebar.lua"]:18: attempt to index local 'nodeTitle' (a nil value)
#zl;backgroundslist;Backgrounds
Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (reference_backgroundslist : reference.backgroundslists.byletter@5e Player's Handbook)
#zl;backgroundlists;Backgrounds
Script Error: [string "common/scripts/windowtitlebar.lua"]:18: attempt to index local 'nodeTitle' (a nil value)
#zl;backgroundslists;Backgrounds
Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (reference_backgroundslist : reference.backgroundslists.byletter@5e Player's Handbook)
#zl;backgrounds;Backgrounds
***No link is parsed

#zl;abilitylist;Abilities
Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (reference_abilitylist : reference.abilitylists.byclass@5e Player's Handbook)

#zl;skill;Athletics
#zl;skills;Athletics
***Neither link is parsed.

#zl;skilllist;Skills
#zl;skillslist;Skills
Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (reference_skillslist : reference.skillslists.byletter@5e Player's Handbook)

It seems that since maybe the #zl;spelllist;Spells link has been altered to reflect each class spell list (i..e, #zl;spelllist;Bard), I'm wondering if the above list links have also been deprecated in some way. I can't find any information here about that I have been exhaustive with my searches. For now, I've just created individual links for each class at the end of the relevant chapter; same with backgrounds, though I'd much rather have one link that simply brings up the related list window. The real issue is not having even the individual skill links work. I'd really appreciate some help with this. Thanks for reading!

centerNegative
October 27th, 2015, 15:34
Have the link lists (like #zl;classlist;Class) listed in the Par5e guide been deprecated or replaced? I can't link to the Classes list, Backgrounds List, or even any individual skill. Links like #zl;skill;Athletics simply don't parse at all. The armorlist, weaponlist, and featlist work, so it's kind kind of a mixed bag.

*** EDIT: Apologies for the double post; I posted the previous post last night but for some reason it took 12+ hours to show up so I posted this abbreviated version of the issue this morning.

Zacchaeus
October 27th, 2015, 15:59
Are you perhaps trying to link to an external module? #zl; will only link to lists within the same module - see page 35 of the user manual.

centerNegative
October 27th, 2015, 16:07
Nope. This is all for a 5e PHB module. The links are being used in the referencemanual.txt to link to the classes, backgrounds, and skills within the same module.

Zacchaeus
October 27th, 2015, 16:16
I do know that there was a problem linking feats for some reason and Zeus was going to take a look at it. Possibly there has been an update to the software? - see here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26042-Having-Trouble-with-zl-Links/page2) for more information at post #18.

ArteF
October 27th, 2015, 19:28
Yea next week I may give it another look see but right now I'm giving up on it.

I started the class.txt off with both:

##;##;Runeseeker

and when that didn't work

##;Runeseeker

So it shouldn't have a problem with finding it for that reason... but it can't find the class.txt file.

I've moved it out of the user and directly off of the C: drive but w/e at this point.

Anyway thanks for the help.

rob2e
October 27th, 2015, 22:17
I've heard that there is a problem with z links in par5e, but that since Zeus was hired by Smiteworks, there is no longer support for par5e. I'm not being negative, just stating (what I think is) fact.

Anyone else no different?

centerNegative
October 27th, 2015, 22:30
Ah, yes! That would appear to be a related issue and produce the same results. Thanks for the tip!

FSHSchmo
November 5th, 2015, 20:46
I am trying to create two custom NPCs for a module that I am building but they are being flagged as incorrect in Par5e. Below is what I have, what am I missing?

Ballista
Large object, neutral
Armor Class 15
Hit Points 50 (5d10)
Speed 0 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0)
Damage Immunities: poison, psychic
Actions
Burning bolt. Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, range 120/480 ft., one target. Hit: 16 (3d10) piercing damage, plus 11 (2d10) fire damage.
##;
A ballista is a massive crossbow that fires heavy bolts. Before it can be fired, it must be loaded and aimed. It takes one action to load the weapon, one action to aim it, and one action to fire it.

Trebuchet
Huge object, neutral
Armor Class 15
Hit Points 150 (15d10)
Speed 0 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
Actions
Trebuchet Stone. Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 300/1,200 ft. (can’t hit targets within 60 feet of it), one target. Hit: 44 (8d10) bludgeoning damage.
##;
A trebuchet is a powerful catapult that throws its payload in a high arc, so it can hit targets behind cover. Before the trebuchet can be fired, it must be loaded and aimed. It takes two actions to load the weapon, two actions to aim it, and one action to fire it.

Falselight
November 5th, 2015, 21:41
you need to add Challenge 1 (200 XP) after Damage immunities

Challenge * (*** XP)

where * is a number

Trebuchet
Huge object, neutral
Armor Class 15
Hit Points 150 (15d10)
Speed 0 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Actions
Trebuchet Stone. Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 300/1,200 ft. (can’t hit targets within 60 feet of it), one target. Hit: 44 (8d10) bludgeoning damage.
##;
A trebuchet is a powerful catapult that throws its payload in a high arc, so it can hit targets behind cover. Before the trebuchet can be fired, it must be loaded and aimed. It takes two actions to load the weapon, two actions to aim it, and one action to fire it.

FSHSchmo
November 5th, 2015, 21:55
you need to add Challenge 1 (200 XP) after Damage immunities

Challenge * (*** XP)

where * is a number

Trebuchet
Huge object, neutral
Armor Class 15
Hit Points 150 (15d10)
Speed 0 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Actions
##;

Thanks! Working on a mid-evil zombie campaign using 5e ruleset.

Azrimalos
November 6th, 2015, 04:33
Thank you!
I already own 2 copies of the players handbook, didn't want to then pick another one up for FG!
Going great so far!
So far i am done with backgrounds and classes!

PastorDontPlay
November 6th, 2015, 19:32
Hi all! I'm loving this tool and using it to get the contents of SCAG into my FG games.

I have been learning and trying it out with much success. I had the Far Traveler background, a home-brew race, the Bladesinger class stuff, and the new spells all working perfectly in FG II.

Today, I added the Barbarian Battlerager into my class.txt file and now when I click Parse, the program only parses the background and acts as if nothing else is there. Please help!

Falselight
November 6th, 2015, 21:19
send me you class.txt file will take a look

centerNegative
November 7th, 2015, 19:28
Another couple of issues I'm having with my Monster Manual import/npcs.txt. These may actually be bugs in FG but I couldn't find any references to them on the forums. First, FG doesn't pick up any references to the unconscious condition that some monsters create with an action (i.e., a Brass Dragon's Sleep Breath Weapon or a Satyr's pan pipe variant), in the sense that it's not a clickable, actionable effect in the monster description. I haven't playtested any of these occurrences yet but I'm assuming the fact they aren't clickable like all other condition effects I've encountered makes me think they won't work when it comes time for actual combat. Secondly, legendary monsters have a subheading inserted above their legendary action description text that always uses the text of the last action description listed above it. Sample screenshot attached below. This occurs on absolutely every monster with legendary actions. For instance, on all my dragons, I've used the variant rules for Spellcasting and added it as the last of their actions for each dragon, and then I get the same result as in the screenshot:

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
Spellcasting
The dragon can take 3 legendary actions...
Detect
The dragon makes a Wisdom (Perception) check...

Would appreciate some assistance, or just the peace of mind that this is a bug and not a feature, or a result of some error in my import text. :o I've re-created the npcs.txt file line-by-line and couldn't pinpoint anything that would cause this weirdness. I don't get any warnings or errors from Par5e. Thanks for reading!

Zacchaeus
November 7th, 2015, 20:43
Another couple of issues I'm having with my Monster Manual import/npcs.txt. These may actually be bugs in FG but I couldn't find any references to them on the forums. First, FG doesn't pick up any references to the unconscious condition that some monsters create with an action (i.e., a Brass Dragon's Sleep Breath Weapon or a Satyr's pan pipe variant), in the sense that it's not a clickable, actionable effect in the monster description. I haven't playtested any of these occurrences yet but I'm assuming the fact they aren't clickable like all other condition effects I've encountered makes me think they won't work when it comes time for actual combat. Secondly, legendary monsters have a subheading inserted above their legendary action description text that always uses the text of the last action description listed above it. Sample screenshot attached below. This occurs on absolutely every monster with legendary actions. For instance, on all my dragons, I've used the variant rules for Spellcasting and added it as the last of their actions for each dragon, and then I get the same result as in the screenshot:

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
Spellcasting
The dragon can take 3 legendary actions...
Detect
The dragon makes a Wisdom (Perception) check...

Would appreciate some assistance, or just the peace of mind that this is a bug and not a feature, or a result of some error in my import text. :o I've re-created the npcs.txt file line-by-line and couldn't pinpoint anything that would cause this weirdness. I don't get any warnings or errors from Par5e. Thanks for reading!

It's a question of wording for the first point. If you change for example the Brass Dragon's Sleep breath weapon to read 'falls unconscious for 10 minutes' FG will pick up on that and it will highlight and when dragged to the CT will allow the effect to be automated.

For the second one create a header called 'Options' (or whatever you like really) as the first line of the Legendary Actions and that will correct the remaining Legendary Actions. It's just a little quirk in Par5e which requires a heading and there normlly isn't one for the first paragraph in the Legendary actions. Here's an example of what I mean.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
Options. The solar can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. The solar regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
Teleport. The solar magically teleports, along with any equipment it is wearing or carrying, up to 120 feet to an unoccupied space it can see.
Searing Burst (Costs 2 Actions). The solar emits magical, divine energy. Each creature of its choice in a 10-foot radius must make a DC 23 Dexterity saving throw, taking 14 (4d6) fire damage plus 14 (4d6) radiant damage on a fai led save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Blinding Gaze (Costs 3 Actions). The solar targets one creature it can see within 30 feet of it. If the target can see it, the target must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or be blinded until magic such as the lesser restoration spell removes the blindness.

centerNegative
November 7th, 2015, 21:07
Nailed it on both counts, Zacchaeus! All good now. Thanks for the quick response!

Azrimalos
November 8th, 2015, 00:23
Just having a few little issues.
1. For some reason i cannot get it to use the thumbnail image. Perhaps i am putting it in the wrong place.
2. Can i link other items to an Equipment pack, so that when i drag the pack into inventory it gives you the items inside?
a. Can this also be done for the items i should receive from class/backgrounds?

Well i think them are the only issues i am having. I am done with the players guide and most of the dungeon master's guide.. Just have to do magic items.. That will take me a while

Thanks for Par5e!!

damned
November 8th, 2015, 09:48
thumbnail just goes in the input folder now i think.

Azrimalos
November 8th, 2015, 19:31
thumbnail just goes in the input folder now i think.

I have tried it there, and in the images folder, perhaps i am missing something.. Is there something i have to check within par5e for it to parse in the thumbnail? i do not see an option for that.

Aaron
November 9th, 2015, 00:59
Make sure the thumbnail is called thumbnail.png, and place it inside the folder that you created for the module (See picture below).

Morgentaler
November 9th, 2015, 04:56
Is the software still available? As I want to create some new classes etc..for my homebrew campaign..and since I run multiple one's being able to do this once share module would be great.

But I can't seem to find anything on zeus download page..as it's an endless loop.

centerNegative
November 9th, 2015, 07:29
I believe you have to register on his site in order to access the downloads.

PastorDontPlay
November 9th, 2015, 16:34
send me you class.txt file will take a look

Thanks for offering to help! I've been away from the computer for a few days but when I opened it back up, I noticed I hadn't written anything in the Equipment section of the Barbarian class.

I'm actually surprised that caused such a big issue. Par5e did the backgrounds, then it seems like it got stuck on the class file and simply didn't move on to races, equipment, or anything else. I didn't know it works that way. Anyway, I figured it out! Thanks again for wanting to help.

PastorDontPlay
November 9th, 2015, 22:30
Hey all, I'm working on getting the SCAG into Fantasy Grounds.

I've noticed that when I copy from my PDF into a text document, words with the letter "f" followed by an "i" get weird. The "f' and "i" essentially seem to show up as one character. This character is obviously not recognized by Fantasy Grounds and so is displayed with a whole string of characters. Words like "proficiency," "modifier," "benefit," and "finish" are frequent in the book and usually display as something like "pro(;alkdjf;aldkfjad;lfkj)ciency."

It's not really a problem with Par5e, but I was hoping you all may have some advice. I can go back into the text file and just manually edit each of them, but I was really hoping someone had a one or two click fix for this. Anyone else run into it and figure it out?

centerNegative
November 9th, 2015, 22:49
I've seen this issue before and it's not a problem with Par5e but with the original document that was scanned to PDF. If the original document was not a pristine white page with crisp black text on it, there's always a chance even the best OCR technology will scramble some text. There's no good fix for this unless you scanned the document yourself, in which case you could possibly scan it as an image and edit that image to enhance the exposure and contrast of the text, then print it and rescan it for text/OCR/PDF.

PastorDontPlay
November 9th, 2015, 22:54
Thanks. Yeah, I knew it wasn't an issue with Par5e. Oh well. I did scan it myself but I'm not all that interested in messing with the image. I use Notepad++ and was kind of hoping someone knew how to locate those weird characters and replace them with the normal letters.

centerNegative
November 9th, 2015, 23:26
If the scrambled characters in the PDF are not random and are always associated with the same specific characters or group of characters then, yes, there is a way to do a Find & Replace on all those occurrences. If they are random and every scrambled bit of text is different for every occurrences, then I don't believe there's anything that can be done without artificial intelligence. ;)
Using Notepad++ with RegEx, and assuming the scrambled bits are always in parentheses as in your example, try this:
Find: (\w+)?\([a-z;]+\)(\w+)
Replace: $1fi$2

Morgentaler
November 9th, 2015, 23:34
Thumbnail
Where do I put it and what size does it need to be?

damned
November 10th, 2015, 00:21
Thumbnail
Where do I put it and what size does it need to be?

Go back one page for thumbnail instructions.
I dont know what the exact best size is - its not big.
100x100px give or take a few...

Morgentaler
November 10th, 2015, 02:27
I did no dice..png 8? 24? wondering what I'm doing wrong.

damned
November 10th, 2015, 02:47
in the interim you can open up the mod file with your favourite zip file (7zip will do this without any messsing with extension names) and copy the thumbnail into the root folder of the module/zip file.

Morgentaler
November 10th, 2015, 03:09
in the interim you can open up the mod file with your favourite zip file (7zip will do this without any messsing with extension names) and copy the thumbnail into the root folder of the module/zip file.

That worked thanks for the help as always

centerNegative
November 10th, 2015, 05:31
I'm adding a Red Dragon's Lair Actions to just below its stock Legendary Actions so I can automate their effects, and I'm having difficulty resolving how to word the last Lair Action effect so that its condition effects and the proper time frame are picked up. It's final Red Dragon Lair Action description is a cloud of poisonous volcanic gas and the condition statement from the MM goes like this:

Each creature that starts its turn in the cloud must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned until the end of its turn. While poisoned in this way, a creature is incapacitated.

The bold phrases are picked up by FG. The poisoning portion is a bit confusing because I'm not sure the if intent is to apply both the poisoned condition and the incapacitated condition or it's just a descriptor for the delivery mechanism of just the incapacitated condition. Regardless, I've combined them because I'm a mean DM. :p What I can't get to work is the timeframe. I've tried just solidly putting it as:

Each creature that starts its turn in the cloud must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned and incapacitated for 1 turn.

... even though "1 turn" seems a bit semantically different than "end of its turn" or "for the rest of its turn." Either way, it just isn't working. I have this format working in other cases with different timeframes, for instance the Carrion Crawler's tentacle attack:

...the target must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned and paralyzed for 1 minute.

... registers just fine. Any tips to sort this out, as always, are appreciated!

EDIT: I did just manage to get this to work by catching what WotC did with the Ghoul's claw attack and copying the wording, so now this works:

Each creature that starts its turn in the cloud must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned and incapacitated until the start of its next turn.

... which I think accomplishes the same thing. "End of its turn" and "start of its next turn" both still refer to the current turn as the duration, right?

Zacchaeus
November 10th, 2015, 09:13
Firstly you are correct the target is poisoned and incapacitated. End of turn and start of turn are different but for this purpose you want FG to pick up on 1 turn for automation purposes, so it's all good.

centerNegative
November 10th, 2015, 15:00
Thanks for confirming!

Azrimalos
November 10th, 2015, 21:20
Make sure the thumbnail is called thumbnail.png, and place it inside the folder that you created for the module (See picture below).

I have tried that doesn't seem to work..

damned
November 11th, 2015, 02:20
I have tried that doesn't seem to work..

tadkil
November 12th, 2015, 16:58
Going to attempt to parse out some of the third party products I have that I really like. I am from sales & marketing so I imagine I will have some questions for you guys. This is a great thread and a great resource.

WansumBeats
November 13th, 2015, 05:11
ok so Web works as it is supposed to, it rolls for recharge and removes [used] everytime.

Web (Recharge 5–6). Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 30/60 ft., one creature. Hit: The target is restrained by webbing. As an action, the restrained target can make a DC 12 Strength check, bursting the webbing on a success. The webbing can also be attacked and destroyed (AC 10; hp 5; vulnerability to fire damage; immunity to bludgeoning, poison, and psychic damage).

Force field however wont remove [used] after it recharges? any ideas why?
The fix i found is to delete [used] out the line in the combat tracker and hit return

Force Field (Recharge 5–6). The technothug adds 4 to its AC against one attack that would hit it. To do so, the technothug must see the attacker.

Zacchaeus
November 13th, 2015, 09:18
It's working for me. One thing; you do know that the 'USED' part stays until the creature successfully rolls a 5 or a 6 and recharges the power? In other words if it rolls 1-4 the 'USED' bit stays where it is.

Just btw; I've no idea what a Technothug is; I just copy pasted your line above into a Goblin for testing purposes. I don't see that should make a difference :)

WansumBeats
November 14th, 2015, 02:15
technothug.... monster a day. just finished adding all of them into a monster manual 2 complete with images and tokens.

yes i know it stays until a 5 or 6 is rolled.. but after i roll it.. in the chat window it says recharge, but the [used] doesnt go away.

i will try pasting that line into the giant snow spider that i got web from and see if i can get it to work in that line

also its a REACTION, will that make a difference?

WansumBeats
November 14th, 2015, 02:34
ok so that seems to be the problem... the same command line works fine and when its an ACTION, but it doesnt work as a REACTION.

When "Force Field (Recharge 5–6). The technothug adds 4 to its AC against one attack that would hit it. To do so, the technothug must see the attacker." is an action it works fine. It looks like "Force Field [R:5]" in both ACTION and REACTION in the combat tracker.

I added it it twice on the same NPC once in ACTION and once in REACTION, then i used it as a REACTION and when it rolled a recharge, the [R:5] dissapears from the end of line in ACTION.

zeracool2k
November 14th, 2015, 02:40
Hello, I have a question about spells on Par5e.

Is it possible to create a "Spell Index", with all spells ordered alphabetically? Like in the official modules (DD Basic Rules, EE Companion, etc.)?

centerNegative
November 16th, 2015, 04:13
I'd definitely like to know that, as well.

Zacchaeus
November 16th, 2015, 11:39
Hello, I have a question about spells on Par5e.

Is it possible to create a "Spell Index", with all spells ordered alphabetically? Like in the official modules (DD Basic Rules, EE Companion, etc.)?

No, that isn't a feature of par5e. Zeus did 'special' things to the PHB to get it to do the spell list.

zeracool2k
November 16th, 2015, 13:36
Allright, thanks for the answer!

Jyohe1313
November 16th, 2015, 14:06
Ok so I posted earlier that Par5e was saying that the classes Barbarian and Monk were ok. I then got a response saying that there must be something wrong with the code, so I double checked and everything looks ok. So I thought I would delete the module and start from scratch and low and behold Par5e is not creating the module which means it is not updating it either. I took out all the classes and the well formatted and previous backgrounds are still there but again it is not creating the module.

Help!!!!!

Funny enough though I added a table to my Magic Compendium and it worked, im confused.

Jyohe1313
November 16th, 2015, 14:13
Parse : background .................................................. ........... [Academy Graduate - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................... [Acolyte - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .............. [Bounty Hunter - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................. [Charlatan - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ....................... [Cook - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ................... [Criminal - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ..................... [Cursed - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ....................... [Dead - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ..................... [Doctor - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ................ [Entertainer - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ..................... [Farmer - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................. [Folk Hero - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ............. [Fortune Teller - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .............. [Guild Artisan - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................. [Harvester - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ..................... [Hermit - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ................. [Inquisitor - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .......... [Legendary Lineage - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ................... [Lothario - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................... [Lunatic - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ...................... [Noble - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................. [Outlander - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ..................... [Parent - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ................ [Polymorphed - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................. [Possessed - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ........ [Raised by Animals - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ......... [Retired Adventurer - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ....................... [Sage - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ..................... [Sailor - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................... [Soldier - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ................... [Tinkerer - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ............ [Treasure Hunter - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ..................... [Urchin - OK]
Parse : backgrounds .................................................. ....................... [Completed]
Make : backgrounds windowlists .................................................. ........... [Completed]
Parse : tables .................................................. ............................ [Completed]
Make : tables windowlists .................................................. ................ [Completed]
Make : tables (campaign) .................................................. ................. [Completed]
Make : tables (reference) .................................................. ................ [Completed]

and that is where it stops after taking classes out all together.

Zacchaeus
November 16th, 2015, 14:24
From that it looks like there's a problem with the table. Does it par5e when you remove it?

Jyohe1313
November 16th, 2015, 14:29
There is nothing in the table document....

Zacchaeus
November 16th, 2015, 14:52
Sorry, but it's pretty difficult to help you specifically because we're not seeing the text file but there is an error somewhere. Par5e is stopping at the point where it should 'make' the xml data and something is stopping it. So, whilst the backgrounds are showing 'Ok' something is wrong with the way your text file is set up. It could be that there's a missing carriage return or a dot or comma is in the wrong place or a missing semi colon or any number of things.

The only way you can track this down is to split the file up like you have done and try to par5e a small bit; check that the module is as expected then add some more to the bit you are parsing and par5e again and so on. Eventually it won't work and that will enable you to pinpoint exactly where the problem is.

Jyohe1313
November 16th, 2015, 17:42
Come to find out the problem was not with Par5e but with Notepad++, it wasn't saving text files just files. Weird, must have been something with the updated Notebook++, weird.

Jyohe1313
November 16th, 2015, 18:38
So I lied, this is getting awfully frustrating, so I did what Z has been suggesting. I thought alright I will uninstall notepad++ and install older version, that seemed to work for a moment. Then I went a few backgrounds at a time, all was good. Then I went to add a table and it stopped like it did before, ok well lets add a table I know is working and see what happens, it hangs up again. Then I think well I will take the known working table out, and start with a new tables text doc all together, with nothing in it. Low and behold it still hung up?

Jyohe1313
November 16th, 2015, 19:28
Found it....God I feel so stupid.....

Jyohe1313
November 16th, 2015, 19:56
Well moving on..so Barbarian is showing ok in Par5e when parsed but not showing up in FG. I have gone over this class 4 times now and besides minor typo's in the text I cannot find anything wrong.

##;Barbarian
#h;Barbarian
A tall human tribesman strides through a blizzard, draped in fur and hefting his axe. He laughs as he charges toward the frost giant who dared poach his people's elk herd.
A half-orc snarls at the latest challenger to her authority over their savage tribe, ready to break his neck with her bare hands as she did to the last six rivaIs. Frothing at the mouth, a dwarf slams his helmet into the face of his drow foe, then turns to drive his armored elbow into the gut of another.
These barbarians, different as they might be, are defined by their rage: unbridled, unquenchable, and unthinking fury. More than a mere emotion, their anger is the ferocity of a cornered predator, the unrelenting assault of a storm, the churning turmoil of the sea.
For some, their rage springs from a communion with fierce animal spirits. Others draw from a roiling reservoir of anger at a world full of pain. For every barbarian, rage is a power that fuels not just a battle frenzy but also uncanny reflexes, resilience, and feats of strength.
#h;Primal Instinct
People of towns and cities take pride in how their civilized ways set them apart from animaIs, as if denying one's own nature was a mark of superiority. To a barbarian, though, civilization is no virtue, but a sign of weakness. The strong embrace their animal nature- keen instincts, primaI physicality, and ferocious rage. Barbarians are uncomfortable when hedged in by walls and crowds. They thrive in the wilds of their homelands: the tundra, jungle, or grasslands where their tribes live and hunt.
Barbarians come alive in the chaos of combat. They can enter a berserk state where rage takes over, giving them superhuman strength and resilience. A barbarian can draw on this reservoir of fury only a few times without resting, but those few rages are usually sufficient to defeat whatever threats arise.
#h;A Life of Danger
Not every member of the tribes deemed "barbarians" by scions of civilized society has the barbarian c1ass. A true barbarian among these people is as uncommon as a skilled fighter in a town. and he or she plays a similar role as a protector of the people and a leader in times of war. Life in the wild places of the world is fraught with peril: rival tribes, deadly weather, and terrifying monsters. Barbarians charge headlong into that danger so that their people don't have to.
Their courage in the face of danger makes barbarians perfectly suited for adventuring. Wandering is often a way of life for their native tribes, and the rootless life of the adventurer is little hardship for a barbarian. Some barbarians miss the close-knit family structures of the tribe, but eventually find them replaced by the bonds formed among the members of their adventuring parties.
#h;Creating a Barbarian
When creating a barbarian character, think about where your character comes from and his or her place in the world. Talk with your DM about an appropriate origin for your barbarian. Did you come from a distant land, making you a stranger in the area of the campaign? Or is the campaign set in a rough-and-tumble frontier where barbarians are common?
What led you to take up the adventuring life? Were you lured to settled lands by the promise of riches? Did you join forces with soldiers of those lands to face a shared threat? Did monsters or an invading horde drive you out of your homeland, making you a rootless refugee? Perhaps you were a prisoner of war, brought in chains to "civilized" lands and only now able to win your freedom. Or you might have been cast out from your people because of a crime you committed, a taboo you violated, or a coup that removed you from a position of authority.
#bp;Quick Build
You can make a barbarian quickly by following these suggestions. First, put your highest ability score in Strength, followed by Constitution. Second, choose the outlander background.
#h;The Barbarian
#ts;
#th;Level;Bonus;Features;Rages;Rage Damage
#tr;1st;+2;Rage, Unarmored Defense;2;+2
#tr;2nd;+2;Reckless Attack, Danger Sense;2;+2
#tr;3rd;+2;Primal Path;3;+2
#tr;4th;+2;Ability Score Improvement;3;+2
#tr;5th;+3;Extra Attack, Fast Movement;3;+2
#tr;6th;+3;Path feature;4;+2
#tr;7th;+3;Feral Instinct;4;+2
#tr;8th;+3;Ability Score Improvement;4;+2
#tr;9th;+4;Brutal Critical (1 die);4;+3
#tr;10th;+4;Path feature;4;+3
#tr;11th;+4;Relentless Rage;4;+3
#tr;12th;+4;Ability Score Improvement;5;+3
#tr:13th;+5;Brutal Critical (2 dice);5;+3
#tr;14th;+5;Path feature;5;+3
#tr;15th;+5;Persistent Rage;5;+3
#tr;16th;+5;Ability Seore Improvement;5;+4
#tr;17th;+6;Brutal Critical (3 dice);6;+4
#tr;18th;+6;Indomitable Might;6;+4
#tr;19th;+6;Ability Score Improvement;6;+4
#tr;20th;+6;Primai Champion;Unlimited;+4th
#te;
#h;Class Features
As a barbarian, you gain the following class features.
Hit Points
Hit Dice: ld12 per barbarian level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d12 (or 7) + your Constitution modifier per barbarian leveI after 1st
Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Strength, Constitution
Skills: Choose two from Animal Handling, Athletics, Intimidation, Nature, Perception, and Survival
Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
#ls;
#li;(a) a greataxe or (b) any martial melee weapon
#li;(a) two handaxes or (b) any simple weapon
#li;An expiorer's pack and four javelins
#le;
#fe;Rage;1
In battle, you fight with primai ferocity. On your turn, you can enter a rage as a bonus action.
While raging, you gain the following benefits ifyou aren't wearing heavy armor:
#ls;
#li;you have advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.
#li;When you make a melee weapon attack using Strcngth, you gain a bonus to the damage roll that increases as you gain leveis as a barbarian, as shown in the Rage Damage column of the Barbarian table.
#li;You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
#le;
If you are able to cast spells, you ean't cast them or concentrate on tbem while raging.
Your rage lasts for 1 minute. lt ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if your turn ends and you haven't attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then. you can also end your rage on your turn as a bonus action.
Once you have raged the number of times shown for your barbarian leveI in the Rages column of the Barbarian table, you must finish a long rest before you can rage again.

Jyohe1313
November 16th, 2015, 19:58
the following is part two of my Barbarian class

#fe;Unarmored Defense;1
While you are not wearing any armor, your Armor Class equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Constitution modifier. you can use a shield and still gain this benefit.
#fe;Reckless Attack;2
Starting at 2nd levei, you can throw aside ali concern for defense to attack with fierce desperation. When you make your first attack on your turn, you can decide to attack recklessly. Doing so gives you advantage on melee weapon attack rolls using Strength during this turn, but attack rolls against you have advantage until your next turn.
#fe;Danger Sense;2
At 2nd levei, you gain an uncanny sense of when things nearby aren't as they should be, giving you an edge when you dodge away from danger.
you have advantage on Dexterity saving throws against effects that you can see, sue h as traps and spells. To gain this benefit, you can't be blinded, deafened, or incapacitated.
#fe;Primal Path;3
At 3rd level. you choose a path that shapes the nature of your rage. Choose the Path of the Berserker or the Path of the Totem Warrior, both detailed at the end of the c1ass description. Your choice grants you features at 3rd levei and agaln at 6th, 10th, and 14th leveis.
#fe;Ability Score Improvement;4;8;12;16;19
When you reach 4th levei, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th levei, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
#fe;Extra Attack;5
Beginning at 5th levei, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turno
#fe;Fast Movement;5
Starting at 5th levei, your speed increases by 10 feet
while you aren't wearing heavy armor.
#fe;Feral Instinct;7
By 7th levei, your instincts are so honed that you have advantage on initiative rolls. Additionally, if you are surprised at the beginning of combat and aren't incapacitated. you can act normally on your first turn, but only ifyou enler your rage before doing anything else on that turn.
#fe;Brutal Critical;9
Beginning at 9th levei, you can roll one additional weapon damage die when determining the extra damage for a criticai hit with a melee attack. This increases to two additional dice at 13th levei and three additional dice at 17th leveI.
#fe;Renlentless Rage;11
Starting at 11th levei, your rage can keep you fighting despite grievous wounds. lf you drop to O hit points while you're raging and don't die outright, you can make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw. lfyou succeed. you drop to 1 hit point inslead. Each time you use this feature after the first. the DC increases by 5. When you finish a short or long rest, the DC resets to 10.
#fe;Persistant Rage;15
Beginning at 15th levei, your rage is so fierce that il ends early only ifyou fali unconscious or if you choose to end it.
#fe;Indomitable Might;18
Beginning at 18th levei, if your total for a Strength check is less than your Strength score, you can use that score in place of the total.
#fe;Primal Champion;20
At 20th levei. you embody the power of the wilds. your Strength and Constitution scores increase by 4. your maximum for those scores is now 24.
#abh;Primal Paths
Rage burns in every barbarian's heart. a furnace that drives him or her toward greatness. Different barbarians attribute their rage to different sources, however. For some, it is an internai reservoir where pain. grief. and anger are forged into a fury hard as steel. Others see it as a spiritual blessing. a gift of a totem animal.
#ab;Path of the Berserker
For some barbarians. rage is a means to an end-that end being violence. The Path of the Berserker is a path of untrammeled fury, slick with blood. As you enter the berserker's rage. you thrill in the chaos of battle, heedless of your own health or well-being.
#abf;Frenzy;3
Starting when you choose this path at 3rd levei. you can go inlo a frenzy when you rage. lf you do so. for the duration of your rage you can make a single melee weapon attack as a bonus action on each of your turns after this one. When your rage ends. you suffer one levei of exhaustion (as described in appendix A).
#abf;Mindless Rage;6
Beginning at 6th levei. you can't be charmed or frightened while raging. lf you are charmed or frightened when you enter your rage. the effect is suspended for the duration of the rage.
#abf;Intimidating Presence;10
Beginning at 10th levei, you can use your action to frighten someone with your menacing presence. When you do so. choose one creature that you can see within 30 feet of YOU. lf the creature can see or hear YOU. it must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw (DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier) or be frightened of you until the end of your next turno On subsequent turns, you can use your action to extend the duration of this effect on the frightened creature IIntil the end of your next turno This effeet ends if the creatllre ends its turn out of line of sight or more than 60 feet away from YOU. If the creature succeeds on its saving throw. you can't use this feature on that ereature again for 24 hours.
#abf;Retaliation;14
Starting at 14th levei, when you take damage from a creature that is within 5 fcet of YOII.you can usc your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against that creature.
#ab;Path of the Totem Warrior
The Path of the Totem Warrior is a spiritual journcy, as the harharian accepts a spirit animal as guide, protcctor, and inspiration. In battle. your totem spirit fills you with supernatural might. adding magiral fuel to your barharian rage.
Most harharian tribes consider a totem animal to bc kin to a particular elan. [n such cases. it is unusual for an individual to have more than one totem animal spirit, though exceptions exisl.
#abf;Spirit Seeker;3
Yours is a path that seeks altunement with the natural world. giving you a kinship with beasts. At 3rd levei when you adopt this path. you gain the ability to east the bcast sense and speak with animaIs spells. but only as rituais, as deseribcd in ehapter 10.
#abf;Totem Spirit;3
AI 3rd leveI. when you adopt this path, you choose a totem spirit and gain its feature. you must make or acquire a physiral totem ohject-an amulet or similar adornment-that incorporates fur or feathers. c1aws. teeth, or bones of the totem animal. AI your option, you also gain minar physical altributes that are reminiscent ofyour totem spiril. For example. ifyou have a bear totem spirit. yott might be unusually hairy and thick. skinned, or if your totem is the eagle. your eyes turn bright yellow.
Your totem animal might be an animal related to those listed here but more appropriate to your homeland. For example. you could choose a hawk or vulture in place of an eagle.
<b>Bear.</b> While raging. you have resistance to ali damage except psychic damage. The spirit of the bear makes you tough enough to stand up to any punishment.
<b>Eagle.</b> While you're raging and aren't wearing heavy armor. other creatures have disadvantage on opportunity attack rolls against YOU.and you can use the Dash action as a bonus action on your turno The spirit of the eagle makes you into a predator who can weave through the fray with ease.
<b>Wolf.</b> While you're raging. your friends have advantage on melee attack rolls against any creature within 5 fect ofyou that is hostile to YOU.The spirit of lhe wolf makes you a leader of hunters.
#abf;Aspect of the Beast;6
At 6th leveI. you gain a magical benefit based on the totem animal of your choice. You can choose the same animal you selected at 3rd levei or a different one.
<b>Bear.</b> You gain the might of a bear. Your carrying capacity (including maximum load and maximum lift) is doubled, and you have advantage 00 Strength checks made to push, pull. lift, or break ohjects.
<b>Eagle.</b> You gain the eyesight of an eagle. You can see up to 1 mile away with no difficulty. able to discern even fine details as though looking at something no more than 100 feet away from you. Additionally, dim light doesn't impose disadvantage on your Wisdom (Perception) checks.
<b>Wolf.</b> You gain the hunting sensibilities of a wolf. You can track other creatures while traveling at a fast pace, and you can move stealthily while traveling at a normal pace (see ,hapter 8 for rules on travei pace).
#abf;Spirit Walker;10
At 10th leveI. you can cast the com mune with nature spell, but only as a ritual. When you do so, a spiritual version of one of the animais you ehose for Totem Spirit or Aspect of the Beast appears to you to convey the information you seek.
#abf;Totomic Attunement;14
AI 14th levei, you gain a magical benefit based on a totem animal ofyour choice. you can ehoose the same animal you selected previously or a different one.
<b>Bear.</b> While you're raging. any creature within 5 feet of you that's hostile to you has disadvantage on altaek rolls against targets other than you or another eharaeter with this feature. An enemy is immune to this effeet if it can't see or hear you or if it ean't be frightened.
<b>Eagle.</b> While raging. you have a flying speed equal to your current walking speed. This benefit works only in short bursts; you fali ifyou end your turn in the air and nothing else is holding you aloft.
<b>Wolf.</b> While you're raging, you ean use a honus aetion on your turn to knoek a Large or smaller ereature prone when you hit it with melee weapon attack.

zeracool2k
November 16th, 2015, 20:37
Hello, gave a quick look to your text and found the following:

--> "Hit Point Dice" is set to Ld12 instead of 1d12. Try to check all dice notations for rogue "L's", it's one of the hardest yet most basic error with par5e.

--> Also, you should put a semicolon at the end of each "#tr" on your tables to avoid problems.... perhaps that is what is causing issues with your tables?

Jyohe1313
November 16th, 2015, 20:49
Actually the problem was i had semicolons in between levels for Ability Score Improvement instead of commas.....

Well now you know the problem there is a working Barbarian Parse for you.

Zacchaeus
November 16th, 2015, 21:10
You also have a colon rather than as semi colon at the start of table row 13.

damned
November 17th, 2015, 00:27
Jyohe1313 Par5e can and will drive you mad if you let her! Be patient, and kind, and gentle and understanding of her finicky ways and she will reward you in turn :)

Nylanfs
November 17th, 2015, 01:37
Which is why when I get the cash I'm buying the modules. :)A

Kulis
November 17th, 2015, 03:06
I am working on my first module using parse. I am trying to take some 2E content (martial arts abilities) and converting them into spells following the same rules as the 5E spells. I am following Xorn's guide as closely as I can. The interface is a bit different now. When I hit parse I get the following:

Info : engine build .................................................. ..................... [v0.0.9-b62]
Info : ruleset library .................................................. .......................... [5E]
Info : module .................................................. ............................... [ryan2e]
Info : ruleset .................................................. .................................. [5E]
Info : folder structure .................................................. .................... [Created]
Parse : spells .................................................. ............................ [Completed]
Make : spells windowlists .................................................. ................ [Completed]

The module doesn't show up in my module folder inside or outside the game. I am not sure where the parse is going. I am doing a small test, just 28 lines total for a short "spell list" and I detailed out one spell. Any thoughts or suggestions?