Thegroo
April 6th, 2015, 23:28

Change:
#ab;Channel Divinity to #abf;Channel Divinity
#ab;Potent Spellcasting to #abf;Potent Spellcasting
#ab;Visions of the Past to #abf;Visions of the Past

xKrisx
April 6th, 2015, 23:40
did it still have the freezing problem. nothing is changing for me now.. nothing appears under divine domains.. and my destroy undead table is in the ability score improvement feature area, i don't think it's supposed to be there..

Thegroo
April 7th, 2015, 01:38
After making this changes, i did no get any freezing.
Under Domains i see: 'Divine Domains' and ' Knowledge Domain'

Change:
#fe;Channel Divinity: Turn Undead to #fe;Channel Divinity: Turn Undead;2
#abf;Ability Score Improvement to #fe;Ability Score Improvement
#bp;Destroy Undead;5 to #fe;Destroy Undead;5 (remove the blank after 5)
#ab;Divine Domains to #abh;Divine Domains

xKrisx
April 7th, 2015, 03:19
Okay I did as you suggested and I got a bit further.. I've been able to get a bit further going back, copy and pasting stuff the see where the issue might be. and it freezes at Divine domains. It won't even parse the text under Devine Domains. It's put it as a header but then there is nothing under it.

https://imgur.com/sPF3Jyd In the pic. 9530

xKrisx
April 7th, 2015, 05:13
I had to copy and paste each entry 1 by one.. And it worked that way but I think something is wrong with it still or I'm missing som ething. And I can't seem to put in

#fe;Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

hereander
April 7th, 2015, 16:10
You need to list the levels for the feature:

#fe;Ability Score Improvement;4,8,12,16,19
or if you dont want to, you have to close with a ; at least

#fe;Ability Score Improvement;

Zeus
April 7th, 2015, 17:27
If you want an expedient option of getting 5E content for FG, you may be interested in taking a look at the following:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?page=2&pub=29&sort=1&search=

ddavison
April 7th, 2015, 22:05
Hey folks, I thought I would pop on here and make a quick announcement. As you may have noticed, we've been working with Zeus for some time now on the new releases for D&D 5E. As part of this process, we decided to utilize PAR5E and work with him on getting it further enhanced to support exactly what we wanted to do. We had a difficult decision to make regarding the future of PAR5E and here is ultimately what we decided. PAR5E will continue to be available in its current form, indefinitely, for those people that want to parse everything on their own. We have worked with Zeph to add several enhancements to PAR5E and those will unfortunately not be shared back out publicly since we really wanted the official modules to be as high-end as possible. We will continue to enhance it for our official modules that will be available for purchase. It didn't really make sense for us to keep pushing this out there when we have an obligation to our licensor to sale their products in an official capacity. Zeus is our commissioned developer for each of these modules, so any purchases you make will also help compensate him for the time he spent building such an amazing tool. I hope you will see where we were coming from here and don't hate us for that decision.

dberkompas
April 7th, 2015, 22:08
Thanks ddavison,

Count me in on the crowd that will spend time playing instead of scanning/copying/pasting.

BoomerET

jshauber
April 7th, 2015, 22:10
Zeus is our commissioned developer for each of these modules, so any purchases you make will also help compensate him for the time he spent building such an amazing tool.

Zeus is going to be making "MAD STACKS" if the buzz going around continues as expected!!!

The Scriven One
April 7th, 2015, 22:14
I post on other forums as Rskennan and Monster Manuel. I hope you don't mind my mentioning Par5e as a "free" option for people who want to parse their own material. I did so mainly to quell the objections of people who were complaining of the price of the official modules. I figured it would be better to have them buy FG than to avoid it because of a misconception. I certainly don't want to interfere with your deal with WotC.

I myself might be buying the paid rules modules to fix the issues that I have with my self-parsed ones. It will probably have to wait until the DMG is out and I have an Ultimate License, though.

Thanks.

Thegroo
April 7th, 2015, 23:21
Great news. I just bought the core classes.

xKrisx
April 8th, 2015, 01:34
Thanks. This wasn't there when I began my attempt to parse the books. Although Id love to learn I'm defiantly going to do the purchases. :)
Now, if only the re-released older versions and books on FG. Adventures and Campaigns. Like AD&D 2nd Edition. But maybe one day. I'm sure there are still people who would play 2nd edition and do still.

itsdvw
April 9th, 2015, 18:47
PAR5E will continue to be available in its current form, indefinitely, for those people that want to parse everything on their own.

Will the source code be made available for people who wish to modify or add to it? It really is a great tool for making custom 5e modules as well as parsing official documents (let's be honest, FG's module export functionality falls pretty short). It would be a shame if custom module-building capabilities fell behind as the 5e rule set is developed and improved or if bugs / missing features were never corrected.

Zeus
April 10th, 2015, 13:39
Will the source code be made available for people who wish to modify or add to it? It really is a great tool for making custom 5e modules as well as parsing official documents (let's be honest, FG's module export functionality falls pretty short). It would be a shame if custom module-building capabilities fell behind as the 5e rule set is developed and improved or if bugs / missing features were never corrected.

I'm afraid I won't be able to release the source code for the enhanced tool for the current release of FG as per Doug's earlier post. I hope you understand why.

You should also note that PAR5E was only ever intended as an interim solution as we prepare to move to a new platform based upon the Unity3D engine. Whilst we have yet to finalise the functionality of the new version of FG Unity, we have discussed improving the capabilities of the application when dealing with bulk data entry and extending current module creation functionality and usability.

Having said that until then and in the interim, as we move forward, if development changes to the 5E ruleset occur which break PAR5E's ability to produce modules for 5E, it should be possible (time allowing) for me to provide a maintenance fix. So you can take some assurance that you will be able to continue using the tool with its current functionality indefinitely or at least until the new version of FG is released.

FSHSchmo
April 11th, 2015, 16:03
So I'm looking at building out my first adventure module using par5e instead of building it in FG and exporting. My question, is it possible to have it pull the monsters from my existing MM that I purchased or will I need to build out the PCs, etc each time I want to make a new module? When building it out in FG I can just drag/drop from my MM to the existing adventure I am building out which makes it easy.

Myridden
April 11th, 2015, 18:01
So I'm looking at building out my first adventure module using par5e instead of building it in FG and exporting. My question, is it possible to have it pull the monsters from my existing MM that I purchased or will I need to build out the PCs, etc each time I want to make a new module? When building it out in FG I can just drag/drop from my MM to the existing adventure I am building out which makes it easy.

#zal;npc;Kobold;Bob the Kobold

That should link to a Kobold record in any open module and create an npc in your parsed module based off the Kobold record named Bob the Kobold.

Regards,

~M

FSHSchmo
April 11th, 2015, 19:06
#zal;npc;Kobold;Bob the Kobold

That should link to a Kobold record in any open module and create an npc in your parsed module based off the Kobold record named Bob the Kobold.

Regards,

~M

So if I'm reading that right I would only have to create my stories.txt, encounters.txt, and parcel.txt files. Any NPC I put into the encounters.txt file will auto pull from my existing already parsed or bought modules and the same would go for any items I put in the parcel.txt file?

Zeus
April 12th, 2015, 21:36
So if I'm reading that right I would only have to create my stories.txt, encounters.txt, and parcel.txt files. Any NPC I put into the encounters.txt file will auto pull from my existing already parsed or bought modules and the same would go for any items I put in the parcel.txt file?

That's correct, Just use the #zal; tag to link to anonymous content i.e. content any open module.

itsdvw
April 13th, 2015, 05:40
I'm afraid I won't be able to release the source code for the enhanced tool for the current release of FG as per Doug's earlier post. I hope you understand why.

I understand completely about the enhanced version, I meant the code for the current public release. I do appreciate the assurance that par5e will keep its current functionality, and really really hope that the Unity version have far better module making tools. Fantasy Grounds is capable of so much that is simply not exposed at a usable level without third-party tools like par5e.

lacan
April 13th, 2015, 20:25
First off, let me say this is amazing tool and I probably wouldn't be into FG as much without it.

I have a question about parsing encounters. Do all the creatures in the encounters have to be included in that module, and re-parsed in the npcs.txt? If the npc is in either a separate imported module or from the official version purchased from FG, is there a way to link that creature to the encounter?

Edit: Just saw the post above me. Lol. I'll try #zal; to link.

lacan
April 13th, 2015, 20:48
That's correct, Just use the #zal; tag to link to anonymous content i.e. content any open module.

Which input sheet should the #zal; link be in?

Edit: For clarity, I'm trying to list out npcs in my encounters. I can see #zal;(monster name), links the entry from Story, but how do I use #zal; to link monster directly from my encounters?

Myridden
April 13th, 2015, 23:15
First off, let me say this is amazing tool and I probably wouldn't be into FG as much without it.

I have a question about parsing encounters. Do all the creatures in the encounters have to be included in that module, and re-parsed in the npcs.txt? If the npc is in either a separate imported module or from the official version purchased from FG, is there a way to link that creature to the encounter?

Edit: Just saw the post above me. Lol. I'll try #zal; to link.

Which input sheet should the #zal; link be in?

Edit: For clarity, I'm trying to list out npcs in my encounters. I can see #zal;(monster name), links the entry from Story, but how do I use #zal; to link monster directly from my encounters?

You use #zal mainly in story.txt or referencemanual.txt (also in the other tab text after the ##; in NPC stat blocks or the open format text portions of class.txt - anything that is a formatted text field in Fantasy Grounds).

To your question though, that is where things break for me also. Though its entirely possible I'm missing something.

From what I can tell using #zal;class;itemname;optional title in a formatted text field will link to the appropriate object in any open module - but - I haven't found any way to link items in parcels or npcs in encounters to items or npcs in open modules - you have to include the source object in your parse. You CAN do this in FG directly by drag/dropping your items into encounters or parcels.

I'm also trying to figure how to link to the root of a list (for example the Monsters & NPCs link at the end of the P0-11 Appendix B:Monsters story record in the official Lost Mines module :) - very cool... but how?)

The Scriven One
April 14th, 2015, 12:54
Thanks to the recent conversation, I'm getting a handle on #zal; and #zl;.

However, I've run into an issue. I'm making my setting guide and I have the following in referencemanual.txt:

Blah Blah:
#zls;
#zl;referencetext;Nexus Spellcasting;
#zle;

and

Blah, blah:
#zls;
#zl;referencetext;Nexus Paths;
#zle;

Both "Nexus Spellcasting" and "Nexus Paths" are pages in the same reference manual, and are preceded by the "##;" tags.

If it's not possible to link to pages in the same reference file, I can simply refer the reader to those pages, but I'd love to link them in. Can I do it, and if so, how?

itsdvw
April 14th, 2015, 23:58
As far as I know the referencetext links do not work properly in par5e (at least I've never been able to get them to work) and never will - Zeus will not be releasing any more public updates and without the source to what is already public, no one else can fix it.

The Scriven One
April 15th, 2015, 00:08
It's a great option to have, even without further updates. It's a great tool, and I'm finally learning to parse things that build on the first try.

On the other hand, it should be possible to manually edit the output XML in the mod to include the link, right? Does anyone have any pointers on that with regards to my problem? I've only started dabbling with XML, but I've had moderate success editing other people's extensions for personal use.

itsdvw
April 15th, 2015, 00:42
Theoretically, yes. However I'm not sure par5e puts the right class in the XML for the link - I think that may be a part of why I haven't been able to get it to work. I've been digging around in the 5e ruleset code a bit in my free time, I'll see if I can find what class it should be (unfortunately while the ruleset source is open there is next to no documentation for it so it's difficult to navigate). The issue may in fact be a limitation of the ruleset and not par5e, I'm not sure yet.

But for yourself, I would suggest looking at how other (working) links end up coded in the xml and how the section of the xml that they link to is structured. If you're using notepad++ and loading a new xml page is real slow try disabling clickable links (Preferences -> MISC) - that saved me a lot of trouble switching between tabs.

Oh and keep in mind that one of the newer updates to FG enabled a great feature the will process folders in the module folder as if they were modules - which saves a lot of time if you're experimenting because then you just have to reload the module inside of FG after you make a change and don't need to put it into a zip file and rename it every time. Handy!

dberkompas
April 15th, 2015, 00:44
and who's to stop an adventurous soul from decompiling the Java (free tools available) and reverse engineering it. Though if he obfuscated the heck out of it (again free tools available) that's another adventure entirely.

Unless the license that Zeus released his program under (I don't know what he did) is restrictive, and doesn't allow such things, well there is that.

No, not something that I'd be willing to help with, as I'm quite happy tossing my money at Zeus/SW/etc for the ruleset additions.

BoomerET

itsdvw
April 17th, 2015, 17:45
and who's to stop an adventurous soul from decompiling the Java (free tools available) and reverse engineering it.

Haha that's not a road I would even try to start down. It would be far easier to write my own parser than try to make sense of decompiled code.

And don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy to pay Zeus/SW/WotC for official content as well, gods know they deserve it and more for the time and effort they've put into it. I'm just worried about being able to make my own custom content work too. Par5e has its limitations, and without any more updates being released, I'm looking for the best way around those limitations.

ddavison
April 17th, 2015, 17:51
It might be easier to write a post-processing tool that uses everything that PAR5E already gives you and then adds or fixes sections that you want handled differently.

itsdvw
April 17th, 2015, 18:15
That's what I'm looking into. Some functionality may be more complicated than others because of par5e's naming conventions for certain xml sections (reference text in particular, probably others too).

Treegreen
April 17th, 2015, 22:31
Out of curiosity is anyone able to use, say, #zl;monk_ability;Flames of the Phoenix and have it actually link to Flames of the Phoenix instead of a blank entry?

*Upon further review it seems that PAR5E naming conventions are part of my issue. For example, if I put in:

#abf;Flames of the Phoenix;11

PAR5E names it <flamesofthephoenix11></flamesofthephoenix11> when it outputs. But, #zl;monk_ability is presumably looking for <flamesofthephoenix>

**I went in and edited the output xml by hand and now the links work by changing <flamesofthephoenix11> to <flamesofthephoenix> (and </flamesofthephoenix). Then I went to
<link class="reference_classfeature" recordname="reference.classdata.monk.features.flamesofthephoen ix11@Player's Handbook">Flames of the Phoenix</link> and deleted the 11. Which has to happen to any link calling on that feature.

Thegroo
April 18th, 2015, 00:42
Just a shot in the dark
You could try #zl;monk_ability;Flames of the Phoenix11 and look if it works

Treegreen
April 18th, 2015, 01:12
Just a shot in the dark
You could try #zl;monk_ability;Flames of the Phoenix11 and look if it works

That does work, interestingly enough. Good call. So if anyone runs into problems with linking you might try adding the level right at the end (e.g. #zl;monk_ability;Flames of the Phoenix11;Flames of the Phoenix.

WansumBeats
April 18th, 2015, 15:51
Hey all... looking for some help.

Im trying to get an image to load into class and all im getting when i open the window is a blank window... im assuming this is because you cant load an image into the classes section?

#zl;image;clericskills.jpg;Cleric Features is the line in my class.txt im trying to parse.

any idea whats im doing wrong or how to get it to work?

yondar
April 18th, 2015, 17:17
Anybody had any problems parsing the "Avatar of Death" from the DMG?

For some reason it shows red with a warning next to it.

Thanks

Yondar

metfansc
April 18th, 2015, 20:36
Ok, so first off this is a fantastic tool and I think I have most things solved. However, for some reason when I attempt to parse my Elemental Evil spell list it just isn't quite working. I am able to parse the Backgrounds and Races from Elemental Evil without any problem (I have only left out the Deep Gnomes since that is a subrace of the PHB mod I already owned so I left that out). However, when I go to my spell list it simply does not work, the output says everything parsed okay and I have all green messages that everything worked okay, but it does not create my .mod file in the end and the last message on the console is:

Parse - spell .................................................. ..................... [Warding Wind - OK]
Parse - spell .................................................. .................... [Watery Sphere - OK]
Parse : spells .................................................. ............................ [Completed]
Make : spells windowlists .................................................. ................ [Completed]

Where as when I leave off my spell lists I get:
Make : races windowlists .................................................. ................. [Completed]
Make : backgrounds (reference) .................................................. ........... [Completed]
Make : races (reference) .................................................. ................. [Completed]
Make : module xml data .................................................. ................... [Completed]
Make : archive data .................................................. ...................... [Completed]
Make : module xml library entries .................................................. ........ [Completed]
Write : module xml data .................................................. ................... [Completed]
Write : module xml syntax .................................................. ............... [Well Formed]
Write : module xml definition .................................................. ............. [Completed]
Write : copying module images .................................................. ............. [Completed]
Write : copying module tokens .................................................. ............. [Completed]
Write : copying module thumbnail .................................................. .......... [Completed]
Cook : module archive .................................................. .................... [Completed]
Build : module .................................................. ............................ [Completed]

So it seems to me the thing is breaking at "Spells Window List" but I am not sure what else to do with my file to get it to run. Any ideas?

metfansc
April 18th, 2015, 21:27
Nevermind, it took a while, but it turned out I was missing an enter after #@; at the top of my spell list which was causing the issue. I have now successfully imported Elemental Evil with Races, Spells and Backgrounds, this is a fantastic tool thank you all.

yondar
April 19th, 2015, 14:23
Please can someone see why these wont parse from the DMG.

Medium undead, neutral evil
Armor Class 20
Hit Points Hit points are half the hit point maximum of its summoner
Speed 60 ft., fly 60 ft. (hover)
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
16 (+3) 16 (+3) 16 (+3) 16 (+3) 16 (+3) 16 (+3)
Damage Immunities necrotic, poison
Condition Immunities charmed, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, unconscious
Senses darkvision 60ft., truesight 60 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages all languages known to its summoner
Challenge 0 (0 XP)
Incorporeal Movement. The avatar can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. It takes 5 (1d10) force damage if it ends its turn inside an object.
Turning Immunity. The avatar is immune to features that turn undead.
Actions
Reaping Scythe. The avatar sweeps its spectral scythe through a creature within 5 feet of it, dealing 7 (1d8 + 3) slashing damage plus 4 (1d8) necrotic damage.

Giant Fly
Large beast, unaligned
Armor Class 11
Hit Points 19 (3d10+3)
Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
14 (+2) 13 (+1) 13 (+1) 2 (-4) 10 (+0) 3 (-4)
Senses darkvision 60ft., passive Perception 10
Languages -

Zacchaeus
April 19th, 2015, 15:50
Yondar, I don't know exactly but there are a couple of non standard things. First there is no hit point number so that might be throwing it out. Secondly the Reaping Scythe action is not laid out in the standard format of the Monster Manual. My bet is on the Hit points though since it is expecting a number. Try entering one to see if that will then parse.

Zacchaeus
April 19th, 2015, 15:52
Metfansc, I don't have the temple of Elemental Evil but are the spells laid out in the same format as those in the PHB? If not then that might well be the problem.
If they are then there is an error somewhere in one or more of your spells. Although it looks like it is parsing ok, something is wrong since it isn't creating the module.

BradMcLeod
April 20th, 2015, 04:46
Doesn't work on Win 7 (64-bit). Poopy, lol

damned
April 20th, 2015, 04:47
Doesn't work on Win 7 (64-bit). Poopy, lol

What makes you say that?

damned
April 20th, 2015, 04:51
[Update]: New Java Version available for Windows, Mac and Linux platforms. v0.0.8-b28 (alpha) now available for testing.
requires pre-installed Java Runtime Environment 1.8 or higher.

BradMcLeod
April 20th, 2015, 05:10
What makes you say that?

I d/l'ed the one from Zeus' site. When I tried to run it, I got the "Not compatible with this version of Windows" error.

Edit: Actually, it's unzipping incorrectly.

BradMcLeod
April 20th, 2015, 05:15
Well, the update is V0.0.8-b28, but the one on the site is v0.0.9-b56, if that's of any consequence.

damned
April 20th, 2015, 05:34
I just fired up a W7/x64 machine and installed that version ok.

BradMcLeod
April 20th, 2015, 05:37
I think I was just having issues with the download/extraction (something was buggered). I got it from a different site, and works fine.

BradMcLeod
April 20th, 2015, 08:45
Okay, I'm totally stumped. I've followed the tutorial by Xorn TO THE LETTER, and I keep getting the same screw up in the module. I'm still on the first step!!

I copy Acolyte to Notepad++. Make the appropriate page breaks, and all the properties in Par5e. Then, I parse it. It shows up when I load the module in FGII. But, when I open it, only half the text is there. I've restarted everything. Deleted all files and started over. Paid VERY close attention to what I was doing, and EVERY time, I get the same thing screwed up. In Acolyte, it stops when the text gets to "Insight, Religion". Then skips right to the Traits and Languages large text of the module itself. Then, under Languages, I get the LAST line of the Acolyte! "6. Once I pick a goal, I become.....".

This is driving me bonkers. I don't know what I'm doing to cause THAT specific problem.

Secondly, I have a separate file called tables.txt, and yet, when I open the module, it NEVER has the tables option. I have the line break before and after the tables in the document (backgrounds.txt) but no tables.

I am SO stuck.

spoofer
April 20th, 2015, 09:01
##;Acolyte
You have spent your life in the service of a temple to a specific god or pantheon of gods. You act as an intermediary between the realm of the holy and the mortal world, performing sacred rites and offering sacrifices in order to conduct worshipers into the presence of the divine. You are not necessarily a cleric-performing sacred rites is not the same thing as channeling divine power.
Choose a god, a pantheon of gods, or some other quasi-divine being, and work with your DM to detail the nature of your religious service. Appendix B contains a sample pantheon, from the Forgotten Realms setting. Were you a lesser functionary in a temple, raised from childhood to assist the priests in the sacred rites? Or were you a high priest who suddenly experienced a call to serve your god in a different way? Perhaps you were the leader of a small cult outside of any established temple structure, or even an occult group that served a fiendish master that you now deny.
Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Religion
Languages: Two of your choice
Equipment: A holy symbol (a gift to you when you entered the priesthood), a prayer book or prayer wheel, 5 sticks of incense, vestments, a set of common clothes, and a belt pouch containing 15 gp
Feature: Shelter of the Faithful
As an acolyte, you command the respect of those who share your faith, and you can perform the religious ceremonies of your deity. You and your adventuring companions can expect to receive free healing and care at a temple, shrine, or other established presence of your faith, though you must provide any material components needed for spells. Those who share your religion will support you (but only you) at a modest lifestyle.
You might also have ties to a specific temple dedicated to your chosen deity or pantheon, and you have a residence there. This could be the temple where you used to serve, if you remain on good terms with it, or a temple where you have found a new home. While near your temple, you can call upon the priests for assistance, provided the assistance you ask for is not hazardous and you remain in good standing with your temple.
Suggested Characteristics
Acolytes are shaped by their experience in temples or other religious communities. Their study of the history and tenets of their faith and their relationships to temples, shrines, or hierarchies affect their mannerisms and ideals. Their flaws might be some hidden hypocrisy or heretical idea, or an ideal or bond taken to an extreme.

d8 Personality Trait
1 I idolize a particular hero of my faith, and constantly refer to that person's deeds and example.
2 I can find common ground between the fiercest enemies, empathizing with them and always working toward peace.
3 I see omens in every event and action. The gods try to speak to us, we just need to listen.
4 Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude.
5 I quote (or misquote) sacred texts and proverbs in almost every situation.
6 I am tolerant (or intolerant) of other faiths and respect (or condemn) the worship of other gods.
7 I've enjoyed fine food, drink, and high society among my temple's elite. Rough living grates on me.
8 I've spent so long in the temple that I have little practical experience dealing with people in the outside world.

d6 Ideal
1 Tradition. The ancient traditions of worship and sacrifice must be preserved and upheld. (Lawful)
2 Charity. I always try to help those in need, no matter what the personal cost. (Good)
3 Change. We must help bring about the changes the gods are constantly working in the world. (Chaotic)
4 Power. I hope to one day rise to the top of my faith's religious hierarchy. (Lawful)
5 Faith. I trust that my deity will guide my actions. I have faith that if I work hard, things will go well. (Lawful)
6 Aspiration. I seek to prove myself worthy of my god's favor by matching my actions against his or her teachings. (Any)

d6 Bond
1 I would die to recover an ancient relic of my faith that was lost long ago.
2 I will someday get revenge on the corrupt temple hierarchy who branded me a heretic.
3 I owe my life to the priest who took me in when my parents died.
4 Everything I do is for the common people.
5 I will do anything to protect the temple where I served.
6 I seek to preserve a sacred text that my enemies consider heretical and seek to destroy.

d6 Flaw
1 I judge others harshly, and myself even more severely.
2 I put too much trust in those who wield power within my temple's hierarchy.
3 My piety sometimes leads me to blindly trust those that profess faith in my god.
4 I am inflexible in my thinking.
5 I am suspicious of strangers and expect the worst of them.
6 Once I pick a goal, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of everything else in my life.

Bonus....

Acolyte
Medium humanoid (any race), any alignment
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 9 (2d8)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 14 (+2) 11 (+0)
Skills Medicine +4, Religion +2
Senses passive Perception 10
Languages any one language (usually Common)
Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
Spellcasting. The acolyte is a 1st-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 12, +4 to hit with spell attacks). The acolyte has cleric spells prepared.
ACTIONS
Cantrips (at will). light, sacred flame, thaumaturgy
1st level (3 slots). bless, cure wounds, sanctuary
Club. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 2 (1d4) bludgeoning damage.
##;
#h;Cantrips
#zls;
#zl;spell;light
#zl;spell;sacred flame
#zl;spell;thaumaturgy
#zle;
#h;1st level
#zls;
#zl;spell;bless
#zl;spell;cure wounds
#zl;spell;sanctuary
#zle;
Acolytes are junior members of a clergy, usually answerable to a priest. They perform a variety of functions in a temple and are granted minor spellcasting power by their deities.

BradMcLeod
April 20th, 2015, 09:13
C+P what you had in the text box (formatting for the bonus in the NPC) and the EXACT same thing happened, stopped right after "Insight, Religion"

BradMcLeod
April 20th, 2015, 09:17
This is what I'm looking at.

BradMcLeod
April 20th, 2015, 09:26
Same thing happened with Noble and Sage. Also, in all the other ones, there is no table being made.

BradMcLeod
April 20th, 2015, 09:47
Now I'm trying to parse, and getting "Malformed XML!" having NOTHING to do with what I'm typing in the first place. Like the program is misinterpreting that the document has ended, and hasn't put any closing formatting (all errors are about </text> or </p>) and it's my fault!

BradMcLeod
April 20th, 2015, 09:51
I give up. I'm wasting my time and money.

spoofer
April 20th, 2015, 09:59
Look at the image you posted. Traits??? Languages??? Yo, dude, where is that coming from? You are parsing a background as a something other than as a background. I would guess as an NPC?

BradMcLeod
April 20th, 2015, 10:01
I copied exactly what was written9630

That's directly from the Backgrounds section of the D&D Basic Rules, page 37

yondar
April 20th, 2015, 11:18
Yondar, I don't know exactly but there are a couple of non standard things. First there is no hit point number so that might be throwing it out. Secondly the Reaping Scythe action is not laid out in the standard format of the Monster Manual. My bet is on the Hit points though since it is expecting a number. Try entering one to see if that will then parse.

Its nothing to do with those, even if I take out the Avatar of Death the Giant fly won't parse by itself.

BradMcLeod
April 20th, 2015, 12:07
Now Par5e is getting hung up on stuff. I've tried not parsing the referencemanual, but it just gets stuck on something else.

And I still can't get v0.0.9-56b to unzip or download correctly.

This is the other fun thing that happens periodically.

spoofer
April 20th, 2015, 12:25
Ok, looking at your picture of your set up, I notice that the version is obsolete. I suspect that all of your problems would go away if you updated the version. Next, you mentioned unzipping problems. So that is the hurdle. I will look into that.

EDIT: I downloaded the Windows version and it all looks fine. Are you windows?

spoofer
April 20th, 2015, 12:33
By the way, in case you are not aware, there is a "feature" of the older versions that if you do things in the wrong order, you risk trashing your computer. I strongly recommend not doing anything until you get the most recent version going. It no longer has that feature.

If you are windows, send me a private message. We will continue that way.

BradMcLeod
April 20th, 2015, 12:34
Yeah, Win 7 (64-bit). That's a new problem for me. I've D/Led a ton of stuff (even today) and unzipped fine. This is just messing me up.

spoofer
April 20th, 2015, 12:39
PM sent.

After a quick skype session, I am happy to report that all problems solved. Yeah! (It was the wrong version of PAR5E.)

Welcome to FG, and happy gaming Brad.

BradMcLeod
April 20th, 2015, 13:24
You, sir, are awesome! Thank you for the help!

BradMcLeod
April 21st, 2015, 05:38
Okay, now that I've figured out how to use it (thanks again, spoofer) is there a way to learn how to streamline it? Like with the collapsible headers starting collapsed?

daikamar
April 23rd, 2015, 00:30
Hey all,
Totally dig PAR5E. Having one problem with encounters that I need help with. I can get the following to work just fine:

encounters.txt

#@;Embers of Elmwood - Part 2 - Culkin Manor (2nd Floor)

##; 4. The Dining Hall (Hard)
3;Fire Snake;;

npc.txt

Fire Snake
Medium elemental, neutral evil
Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 22 (5d8)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA 12 (+1) 14 (+2) 11 (+0) 7 (−2) 10 (+0) 8 (−1)
Damage Vulnerabilities cold
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities fire
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages understands Ignan but can’t speak
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Heated Body. A creature that touches the snake or hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it takes 3 (1d6) fire damage.
Actions
Multiattack. The snake makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its tail.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4 + 1) piercing damage plus 3 (1d6) fire damage.
Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4 + 1) bludgeoning damage plus 3 (1d6) fire damage.

The part I'm having trouble with is getting that same encounter entry to work using the Core Monster Pack. I'd rather use the Core Monster Packs where possible as they have a lot more going on (like monster images, etc.). So I've tried unchecking npcs.txt and that results "New Personality" entry instead of the Fire Snake. I've also tried keeping npcs.txt checked and blanking out the file, but that gave me the same results.

I'm hoping this is possible. Thanks for the awesome tool!

WansumBeats
April 23rd, 2015, 17:55
Having some issues parsing tokens... everything shows up OK in the log(image names and links ect0, but when it gets to the very end at "copying tokens" i get failed and it doesnt build the module? looking in the log... i have NO errors, everything shows up as OK

any ideas?

daikamar
April 23rd, 2015, 18:17
Hey all,
Totally dig PAR5E. Having one problem with encounters that I need help with. I can get encounters to work just fine when I I have the NPCs defined in my own npcs.txt. The problem occurs when I try and use NPCs defined in the Core Monster Packs. I'd rather use the Core Monster Packs where possible as they have a lot more going on (like monster images, etc.). So I've tried unchecking npcs.txt and that results "New Personality" entry instead of the Fire Snake. I've also tried keeping npcs.txt checked and blanking out the file, but that gave me the same results.

I'm hoping this is possible. Thanks for the awesome tool!

Olodrin
April 24th, 2015, 22:28
Hi everyone,

In building the reference manual for my players, one of the things I want to do is create a summoners codex, essentially creating a list of creature links appropriate to a given spell.

The problem I'm having is that the links don't seem to work. Since a picture is worth 1000 words:

So you can see in the notepad that the link is properly structured, but when I select Dire Wolf, I get a message in the chat window about not being able to load data from an unloaded module. I don't understand what that means, since you can also see the icon in the library for the monster manual.

Any thoughts?

itsdvw
April 24th, 2015, 23:31
@daikamar: Normal links (#zl; ) only link within your own module. Try using anonymous links (#zal; ) and FG will search open modules for matching entries. Theoretically that should work (though I don't have much experience parsing encounters).

@Olodrin: Looks like the error you used to get with anonymous links before they implemented support for them on live. Are you updated to the lastest version of Fantasy Grounds? Make sure you have 3.0.11 or later.

daikamar
April 24th, 2015, 23:31
@Olodrin: That works for me. Are you using the Fantasy Grounds Monster Manual or your own par5ed version?
btw I'm using FG MM

daikamar
April 24th, 2015, 23:34
@itsdvw: Thanks for the reply :)
The thing is, this is in encounters.txt and they don't use zLinks. The syntax looks like this:

##; 3. The Kitchen (Medium)
5;Smoke Mephit;;

So I don't have an option to indicate that it should search my open modules for the char (that I'm aware of).

daikamar
April 24th, 2015, 23:38
itsdvw: Thanks for the reply :)
The thing is, this is in encounters.txt and they don't use zLinks. Sample syntax:

So I don't have an option to indicate that it should search my open modules for the char (that I'm aware of).

itsdvw
April 24th, 2015, 23:49
In that case par5e can't do what you need. I've been working on a simple little python script that opens up a zip, does a little search-and-replace on files in it, and rezips - I may be able to modify it for your benefit. Send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Olodrin
April 25th, 2015, 18:00
@Olodrin: Looks like the error you used to get with anonymous links before they implemented support for them on live. Are you updated to the lastest version of Fantasy Grounds? Make sure you have 3.0.11 or later.

I'm running FG 3.0.12

I find it interesting - I can now link spells to critters (Lich) and link spells to items (Staff of Power), but I cannot link critters to spells (Conjure Animals) or critters to items (Figurines of Wondrous Power).

Any thoughts?

itsdvw
April 25th, 2015, 18:27
Make sure when you parse your npcs.txt in the Monster Manual you have 'Cmp' checked. You can have 'Ref' checked or unchecked, but Par5e's #zl;npc; links to the campaign formatting, while #zl;referencenpc; links appear to be broken or never implemented.

Olodrin
April 25th, 2015, 19:39
Boom, that was it! Nicely spotted!

WansumBeats
April 27th, 2015, 03:45
Is it possible to have a spellbook that has CLASS headers and an ALL categorie... today i need to look up command and i had to track it down by clicking through all the spell casting classes.

be nice to just click on ALL spells and search through all of them, and then for character creation stuff have individual classes to look through as well.... not sure if this is do able?

itsdvw
April 27th, 2015, 04:23
Try adding an "All" class to the end of your index (before the spell descriptions) that includes every spell. (Based on my experience with the elemental evil spells, Par5e may have a problem if you put it at the beginning) if it helps make things quicker, I think Par5e ignores all info about spell level from the index and pulls and sorts it all from the spell description so you may not have to separate them by level (can't verify this at the moment though so I could be wrong)

WansumBeats
April 27th, 2015, 15:44
Putting ALL spells at the end only ends up in cutting out ranger and warlock spells and not showing ALL... Ive been screwing around with it for about 2 hours now changing various stuff and reparsing.

I found if i put ALL in, it doesnt show ranger or warlock. If i ADD FAKE spells to ALL and then to RANGER and WARLOCK i can eventually get it all to work... my current fix is adding THREE SPELLS call dummy spell, another dummy spell, and "yet another dummy spells"... as it stands everything is working as intended.. i just have three extra spells in my list

#@;
Bard Spells
Cantrips (0 Level)
Thunderclap
1st Level
Earth Tremor
2nd Level
Pyrotechnics
Skywrite
Warding Wind

Druid Spells
Cantrips (0 Level).... ect ect ALL SPELLS at the END and then added in fake spells and in and yah... totally dont get it.

WansumBeats
April 27th, 2015, 16:17
OK so i found a better fix for my elemental evil companion spell.txt file.

In order to get EVERY class and an ALL category to show up. I simply added "Elemental Evil Companion Complete Spell List" to ALL category and then for EVERY CLASS changed the word COMPLETE to the appropriate class.

EX.
#@;
Bard Spells
Cantrips (0 Level)
Elemental Evil Companion Bard Spell List
Thunderclap

1st Level
Earth Tremor

2nd Level
Pyrotechnics
Skywrite
Warding Wind

Druid Spells
Cantrips (0 Level)
Elemental Evil Companion Druid Spell List
Create Bonfire
Control Flames....

I didnt enter a spell description so it shows up in my list as LEVEL -1 Spells as a header and then that spell below it... so it looks like a sub header...

not to bad.. looks ok and wont be confused for a spell by my players..

wish i knew what was going on with parse.. but enough farting around an i got it working.

itsdvw
April 27th, 2015, 17:51
Basically what's happening is that for whatever reason, the public build of Par5e will only crate a reference list if the class has at least one *new* spell - it doesn't have to be unique, just not in any of the lists above it. For EE spells.txt, changing the order the classes are listed is sufficient, no dummy spells needed (mine goes Bard,Ranger,Warlock,Druid,Sorcerer,Wizard). For an ALL category it should be enough to put it after all the other classes and include one dummy spell.

lbealsjr
April 28th, 2015, 02:23
Basically what's happening is that for whatever reason, the public build of Par5e will only crate a reference list if the class has at least one *new* spell - it doesn't have to be unique, just not in any of the lists above it. For EE spells.txt, changing the order the classes are listed is sufficient, no dummy spells needed (mine goes Bard,Ranger,Warlock,Druid,Sorcerer,Wizard). For an ALL category it should be enough to put it after all the other classes and include one dummy spell.

It is actually a problem with Fantasy Grounds not Parse, if you look at the XML file that is created the info is there, for some reason FG fails to recognize spell caster classes if that casters spell list is entirely contained in an other classes spell list. This first became an issue with Elemental Evil Player's Companion. It has been reported but whether it gets fixed or not is another matter. Work around is to add dummy blank spells to differentiate the different lists.

itsdvw
April 28th, 2015, 04:15
It is actually a problem with Fantasy Grounds not Parse, if you look at the XML file that is created the info is there, for some reason FG fails to recognize spell caster classes if that casters spell list is entirely contained in an other classes spell list.
Oh that's actually great. If I have a chance in the next couple of days maybe I'll see if I can catch the bug in the ruleset and make an extension to fix it. If not, at least it'll probably be fixed by the time they release the official elemental evil modules on the store :)
Edit: nevermind. see post below.

Larac
April 28th, 2015, 21:47
Question on magic items.

Is there a way with Parse to get the NON IDed txt in?

By using a header or some sort?

I get the item txt and the category but did not see a way to get the Non IDed txt in though the file.

Not huge issue but will speed entry if there is a way.

itsdvw
April 29th, 2015, 00:57
It is actually a problem with Fantasy Grounds not Parse, if you look at the XML file that is created the info is there, for some reason FG fails to recognize spell caster classes if that casters spell list is entirely contained in an other classes spell list. This first became an issue with Elemental Evil Player's Companion. It has been reported but whether it gets fixed or not is another matter. Work around is to add dummy blank spells to differentiate the different lists.

Actually I just compared XML from two parsed spells.txt with an "All" class. The only difference between the two inputs was one had a dummy spell and one didn't. The one with the dummy spell had the correct reference links, the one without did not. The problem is entirely within Par5e and is not an issue with Fantasy Grounds, and as such will probably never be fixed. Best thing to do in my opinion would be to set up the dummy spell and if you don't like it aesthetically edit the XML manually and remove it after it's been parsed. Assuming everything else was parsed right you can just take out the <level-1> tags and everything in between.

Larac
April 29th, 2015, 03:25
Also had the issue where the cap letters on the words were different on the list and the spell data, a gift from WOTC.

weretygr
April 30th, 2015, 18:16
Is the character set within Fantasy Grounds and Par5e restricted? i.e I am attempting to generate NPCs that have extended characters in the names i.e. Ehangwyn Aldúrimë and it appears that this NPC and any that appear in the file after this character never show up in the module even though it completes parsing.

weretygr
April 30th, 2015, 18:33
Looks like it may be within Par5e as I can rename an NPC with that name from within Fantasy Grounds. Looking in the db.xml file in the output folder no npcs after the one that should have been generated above appear even when there are no special characters in the name.

Griogre
May 1st, 2015, 05:34
The character set is iso-8859-1 plus some improvements. Since everything gets converted to XML and back it can be dicey using extended characters. You are generally OK if the extended character is just in a text field. Where things tend to go wrong is when the text with extended character becomes an XML node. The XML reader/writer is likely to choke on the extended character and if its the XML writer you data may be truncated and lost.

yondar
May 2nd, 2015, 14:19
A question to anyone who has parsed the DMG, did you just put the SIEGE EQUIPMENT in the reference manual or did you stick it somewhere else.

If somewhere else, where and in what format?

Thanks

Yondar

Zeus
May 4th, 2015, 11:17
A question to anyone who has parsed the DMG, did you just put the SIEGE EQUIPMENT in the reference manual or did you stick it somewhere else.

If somewhere else, where and in what format?

Thanks

Yondar

Since they have actions, I suggest parsing them as NPC entries. This way you can drag them into the CT for inclusion in any combat.

ShadeRaven
May 4th, 2015, 21:27
I have an odd one for you. :D

Compiling the Monster Manual completes successfully. Great! No errors. Tokens attach properly. Etc.

Opening up the library file and it all looks good there... except... for some inexplicable reason, all the creatures who begin with R.

Digging a little deeper, here's what the db.xml shows:

<token type="token">tokens\5E MMrat_giant_.png@5E MM</token>

In comparison to panther, which shows:

<token type="token">tokens\5E MM\panther.png@5E MM</token>

The parser is obviously removing what it perceives as a \r?

At any rate, was sort of curious and that's what I found. I can fix them by hand.

Zeus
May 4th, 2015, 21:36
I have an odd one for you. :D

Compiling the Monster Manual completes successfully. Great! No errors. Tokens attach properly. Etc.

Opening up the library file and it all looks good there... except... for some inexplicable reason, all the creatures who begin with R.

Digging a little deeper, here's what the db.xml shows:

<token type="token">tokens\5E MMrat_giant_.png@5E MM</token>

In comparison to panther, which shows:

<token type="token">tokens\5E MM\panther.png@5E MM</token>

The parser is obviously removing what it perceives as a \r?

At any rate, was sort of curious and that's what I found. I can fix them by hand.

Yes its a bug in the public version that I have yet to get around to fixing. I'll try and find some time this week.

weretygr
May 6th, 2015, 02:51
Thanks Griogre! That was it! I simply converted the source characters to combination characters before I ran Par5e against it.

ShadeRaven
May 6th, 2015, 21:26
Yes its a bug in the public version that I have yet to get around to fixing. I'll try and find some time this week. Thanks :)

I am slowly adding to my library by grabbing the various from the Store, but there remains one aspect to your tool here that proves to be invaluable.... the ability to customize or add additional creatures, items, etc., to my personal library.

All in all, you have done amazing work here and I am glad that it has paid dividends for you. We all appreciate the hard work you put into your part in the process!

Larac
May 6th, 2015, 21:50

I am slowly adding to my library by grabbing the various from the Store, but there remains one aspect to your tool here that proves to be invaluable.... the ability to customize or add additional creatures, items, etc., to my personal library.

All in all, you have done amazing work here and I am glad that it has paid dividends for you. We all appreciate the hard work you put into your part in the process!

Agree so much, being able to make my list of Magic Items and Parse in was so much quicker.

Working on Story now, less docs on using it and Parse but getting there. Figuring out where I need stuff for it to be in best order for me.

ShadeRaven
May 9th, 2015, 08:22
Looking for a little insight here when it comes to table look-ups.

In a random item generator, I am hoping to have a linked reference to an object. The line item in question looks as such:

row;1;1;#zl:referenceadventuringgear:Azurite Gemstone:Azurite
That's not working. If I compile the module to use CMP (campaign) items, and change it to the following, it does work:

row;1;1;#zl:item:Azurite Gemstone:Azurite
I am guessing it's an issue with referenceadventuringgear and (perhaps) how I am using it. The item appears in the equipment table, under adventuring gear, but I can't seem to figure out how to link to it from within the table. I'd prefer to keep everything within the reference section of the module without having to populate a less-easy-to-control/sort item tab, but it's not a deal breaker.

Anyone know how to accomplish what I am hoping to do? Or do I just need to stick to using campaign items and filling up that tab with objects I want to reference in the module?

Thanks in advance,
SR

Xorn
May 10th, 2015, 15:46
Any ETA on the linking R-named tokens fix? I don't think Rath Modar is ever going to have a token of his own...

itsdvw
May 11th, 2015, 02:19
@ShadeRaven: not sure the reference links were ever implemented in the public release of Par5e, I think you're stuck with campaign links. Maybe an updated version of the manual would be possible now that the feature list is effectively finalized? Just so we know what stuff works and what we shouldn't bother trying?

@Xorn: if it's just one token broken in your mod, it shouldn't be too difficult to edit the xml and put it in there yourself for the time being until we get the fix (assuming you're not still making frequent changes that is). Unzip it, take a look at how the ones that work are formatted, and copy that over... Haven't done tokens myself though so it could be more trouble than I know :)

Xorn
May 11th, 2015, 04:35
None of the R's in my monster manual are linked to a token. :)

itsdvw
May 11th, 2015, 06:40
Hmm how's this: try searching the XML for 'MMr' and Replace All with 'MM\r' (you may want to match case in case there are other places with 'mmr' in the text)

aaronjreeves
May 11th, 2015, 18:05
Hey guys, im trying to par5e in all of the Unearthed Arcana material, but im having an issue. Theres several new "archetypes" or "Wizard traditions", which are not their own class, just a optional path for other classes to go down. How do I add this to par5e? Via the class section? WHen I try to do that, it fails because im not putting the class name, HP, etc. I dont want to make a whole new class, I just want the expanded archetypes...

Xorn
May 12th, 2015, 03:25
Think I might have found a bug. I couldn't figure out why none of my yuan-ti were showing up in the encounters for Rise of Tiamat, then noticed my half-red dragon veteran wasn't showing up, either.

They both parsed as NPCs correctly, and their tokens linked (half_reddragonveteran.png for example). But the encounter will not list them. I removed the dash from their names in the NPC list (and the encounter) and it started listing them correctly.

ShadeRaven
May 12th, 2015, 15:47
This might be related but I am running into a similar issue with z-links on Parcels, too. Parcels are showing up, but if I try to attach it to a table for randomized treasure, it's a no go. I get a link to an empty parcel instead.

IE, from my Crossroad of the Guardians adventure (parcel code followed by table code):

##;Individual Treasure 1
coin;10;CP
coin;3;SP

##;Individual Treasures
#!;This table generates a random treasure.
column;Coins
dice;d%
row;1;30;#zl:treasureparcel:Individual Treasure 1:3d6 cp (10), 1d6 sp (3)

Been toying around with some randomized treasure tables for adventures. Not a big deal, obviously, but if you get in a "fixing" mood, and have the time, this seems to not be working unless I am doing something wrong here.

itsdvw
May 13th, 2015, 10:08
@aaronjreeves: If you want to include them you'll have to add them directly into your PHB, there's no way (that I'm aware of) for a module to modify information from another module (if you're using the official PHB then I believe you're out of luck - your best bet may be to parse those affected classes yourself with the additions).

@Xorn: Yep, appears to be a bug in Par5e. It appears to stumble on apostrophes in encounter NPC names too even though both are valid names for NPCs elsewhere.

@ShadeRaven: Try using #zl;parcel instead of #zl;treasureparcel (thanks to Xorn's very nice par5e guide on youtube for that). Not sure why the docs say to use treasureparcel.

Larac
May 13th, 2015, 17:09
For the new stuff I just made a Module called E Evil, in it I add the new classes and such.
For the Storm Sorc. I just remade the entire class as it's own. Added it to the Module.

That is where I have the new races and the new spells, it will be the PHB 2 at some time, but for now it is where I put things I am not 100% sure of.

nic227
May 13th, 2015, 22:34
hi all I'm looking for some help with setting up encounters. when I enter it as

##;local bar1
CR 3 XP 300
1;goblin;;
1;half-ogre;;

the goblin shows but not the half-ogre, I believe its due to the "-" in the name because It also failed with a half-dragon.
is there any work around

Edit: well it seems xorn beat me to it. good show.

Xorn
May 14th, 2015, 13:30
@nic227:
Yup it's the hyphen. I just made it a space and it's working fine. That also means npc.txt and the token need to be updated as well. I didn't like typing yuan-ti anyway... :P

merlinpaladin
May 14th, 2015, 17:34
So where do these electronic versions of modules and stuff come up. I have the hard copies but none of them are scanned in to a pdf.

dberkompas
May 14th, 2015, 17:40
People scan them in typically using their cellphone or a flatbed.

For Android, there's an app called CamScanner.

Non-Android devices likely have something similar where you can scan something into a PDF.

Then from there, do an OCR on the document to get text.

BoomerET

merlinpaladin
May 14th, 2015, 17:42
Sorry not up on this trying to learn. OCR?

dberkompas
May 14th, 2015, 17:43
My apologies, OCR = Optical Character Recognition.

Essentially looks at the image and detects each letter.

Then you copy/paste the text into the .txt files that par5e uses.

BoomerET

merlinpaladin
May 15th, 2015, 01:18
Ok helpful appreciate the info. I look forward to experimenting.

Thete
May 15th, 2015, 03:25
I'd like to use Par5e to build out the bones of my library and reference modules for vanilla Coreruleset, however I get errors as the Core rulesset (notDnD5 core) has a different window structure (I think)

Can anyone suggest where I start to have modules/reference books in Core that look like (support the same windows, and chapter structure) as is found in CoreDnD5.
Do I need to create a new ruleset or can I just add the window frame data into the module?

evadgonzo
May 15th, 2015, 20:48
If I'm creating a story module is it possible to setup an encounter and have it pull npcs from another module, say the official 5e Monster Manual. Or do you need to have the npcs setup in your current module?

cas206
May 16th, 2015, 13:58
If I'm creating a story module is it possible to setup an encounter and have it pull npcs from another module, say the official 5e Monster Manual. Or do you need to have the npcs setup in your current module?

1) Use #zal; tag instead of #zl;
2) Make sure the 5e Manual is activated in the campaign as well as your module.

evadgonzo
May 16th, 2015, 19:54
1) Use #zal; tag instead of #zl;
2) Make sure the 5e Manual is activated in the campaign as well as your module.

You don't use a #zl; tag in an encounter file though. If this is my encounter:

##;B. Central Hub
CR 2 XP 250
2;Kenku;;
1;Kenku Crowspeaker;;
1;Swarm of Ravens;;

And I have the Kenku and the Swarm of Ravens in the Monster manual, but the Kenku Crowspeaker is in the campaign module, could I call the other two from the MM?

cas206
May 16th, 2015, 20:35
Bah, your right. Faulty memory error. I know that I experimented with that and thought I got it to work. I'll have to attempt it again. It's possible that I manually dragged the NPC from the MM to the encounter within FG.

cas206
May 16th, 2015, 21:04
Best I could do was put the NPC name in the encounter as a placeholder. When you open the encounter in FG, the name is there, but clicking the circle to get details opens up a blank new personality window. What I must have done was delete the placeholder and dragged the duplicate from the MM into the encounter window inside FG. That gets saved and works as expected. The downside is if you parse it again later on, you lose your manual customization.

cas206
May 16th, 2015, 21:17
You can zal link to the NPC inside story.txt near your encounter as a quick reference if you should need to refresh the encounter via manual method, or just drag the NPC into the combat tracker directly from story.

Thete
May 17th, 2015, 01:30
I am currently using the CoreRPG setting to try to create a rulebook module for the Core derived TrailofCthulhu rulesset.

so far I can get my reference manual to appear in the library and draw the two panel Reference window frame without error. But it is blank completely without the Chapter entries. I had to modify the ToC ruleset to include ref data included in the 5E ruleset. Anything else anyone can suggest? I would have assumed that the CoreRPG setting in Par5e would work kinda off the bat, anyone else had success?

Also am I breaking any rules by homebrewing a TOC/5E ruleset for personal use?.. and should I be posting this question in a different forum section?

dberkompas
May 17th, 2015, 05:44
I sent an IM, but I think I was confused about what you're trying to do.

Now it makes sense, you're trying to create a module for the Trail of Cthulhu ruleset that was derived from CoreRPG.

Please ignore my IM, I didn't know there was already a Trail of Cthulhu community release.

Thete
May 17th, 2015, 14:39
Sorry, I should be clearer. Thanks for the PM anyway though! I recommend checking it out, and there is also a ruleset developed for the Gumshoe open licence :D.
I made progress, I have created an extension that includes the necessary ref folder data and some adjustments to the graphics_font file so the text actually renders.

ShadeRaven
May 17th, 2015, 16:04
@ShadeRaven: Try using #zl;parcel instead of #zl;treasureparcel (thanks to Xorn's very nice par5e guide on youtube for that). Not sure why the docs say to use treasureparcel.That did the trick. Thanks!

Draca
May 18th, 2015, 02:01
When i parse my monster manual , i noticed that the thug.png does not pull, it comes in as thumbs.db. and uses the T token instead.
I tried checking the thug text , and changing the token , to no avail.
I renamed the Thug, to A Thug and renamed the token as well. It parsed and pulled the token properly.

Didnt even find this till i went through making a proper token for everything.

If you need any other info just let me know.

Trenloe
May 18th, 2015, 04:42
When i parse my monster manual , i noticed that the thug.png does not pull, it comes in as thumbs.db. and uses the T token instead.
This is a known issue with thumbs.db being picked up. Delete thumbs.db before parsing.

Draca
May 18th, 2015, 10:39
cool , will do.

MrGoodbytes
May 24th, 2015, 00:52
Hi everyone, first post since purchasing FG. I am trying to build my own library modules for 5e from scratch and am currently working on the getting the Basic Rules down so I can be sure I have the formatting correct. However, I keep getting hung up on on the equipment.txt giving me a Script Error: [string "common/scripts/windowtitlebar.lua"]:18: attempt to index local 'nodeTitle' (a nil value). Currently I am trying to get #@;Adventuring Gear to work correctly, specifically the Standard table. Could anyone check out my .txt file for me if I were to upload it?

MrGoodbytes
May 24th, 2015, 14:17
Anyone have any idea what could potentially cause a Script Error: [string "common/scripts/windowtitlebar.lua"]:18: attempt to index local 'nodeTitle' (a nil value) when trying to access the equipment portion of the Basic Rules? After I could not get my own equipment.txt file to work properly, I used valeros's parser to try it out and see if it would work correctly. Copied the input folder to my par5e module and all of the modules created work fine but I still get this same error when trying to view equipment. Could it be unrelated to formatting? Kind of at a loss at the moment.

EDIT: Solved... I forgot to reparse! Derp.

WansumBeats
May 24th, 2015, 19:59
anyone know how to parse equipment packs? the dungeoneers kit ect.. so i cant just drag and drop one item and have it split into all the stuff in the list?

ty in advance

Olodrin
May 26th, 2015, 00:51
I just read through Moon Wizard's update for FG 3.1 - it looks like it will have some neat new stuff. Will Par5e continue to be developed and released to the community?

ddavison
May 26th, 2015, 00:57
I just read through Moon Wizard's update for FG 3.1 - it looks like it will have some neat new stuff. Will Par5e continue to be developed and released to the community?

Unfortunately, we have branched development on PAR5E. Zeus is actively working with us on commission for all the official D&D releases. We are adding new features and integration with PAR5E going forward, but these are bells and whistles that will remain exclusive to our versions of content. PAR5E will remain available in its current form in the future.

Olodrin
May 26th, 2015, 01:11
Fair enough

noelyuk
May 26th, 2015, 05:43
Apologies if i'm repeating a question that's been asked before but the solutions offered have not helped me to even get as far as getting par5e up and running. I'm on Mac osx and have downloaded the par5e file but when I click it I get the error 'Application par5e cannot be opened'. I see various suggestions about running chmod commands from the terminal but so far with zero success. There must be SOME way I can get this software working that doesn't involve buying a PC :(

Zeus
May 31st, 2015, 17:50
Hmm. Can't seem to edit the first post so I'll post here and hope for the best. A bit overdue and sorry for that.

Updated version of the public version of PAR5E has been posted to my website in the usual place. This as previously announced is merely a maintenance update fixing a bug with tokens for Windows platform users and correcting a token matching policy for encounter npcs. Enjoy!

v0.0.9-b57

5E: Added hotfix for Windows platform and token parsing for tokens beginning with the R/r characters.
5E: Updated encounter npc token linking. PAR5E will now use the following order when auto linking encounter npcs to tokens

Full match of the Encounter NPC Title
Full match of the Encounter NPC Name
First Letter match of the Encounter NPC Title
First Letter match of the Encounter NPC Name

Zeus
May 31st, 2015, 18:00
Apologies if i'm repeating a question that's been asked before but the solutions offered have not helped me to even get as far as getting par5e up and running. I'm on Mac osx and have downloaded the par5e file but when I click it I get the error 'Application par5e cannot be opened'. I see various suggestions about running chmod commands from the terminal but so far with zero success. There must be SOME way I can get this software working that doesn't involve buying a PC :(

I develop PAR5E on Mac so this is a little surprising. The only errors I have seen reported from other mac users is where the internal file permissions get scrambled on download. If this is the case open Terminal.app in /Applications

cd to the location of the PAR5E (Public).app you downloaded e.g. /Applications/PAR5E (Public).app
Inside the .app file cd to Contents/MacOS

run the following command:

chmod +x ./JavaAppLauncher
chown <your username>:staff ./JavaAppLauncher

Now try launching the .app, first via the command line

./JavaAppLauncher

And secondly, by exiting Terminal and double clicking the PAR5E (Public).app.

Let us know how you get on.

Thegroo
May 31st, 2015, 19:06
Hmm. Can't seem to edit the first post so I'll post here and hope for the best. A bit overdue and sorry for that.

Updated version of the public version of PAR5E has been posted to my website in the usual place. This as previously announced is merely a maintenance update fixing a bug with tokens for Windows platform users and correcting a token matching policy for encounter npcs. Enjoy!

v0.0.9-b57

5E: Added hotfix for Windows platform and token parsing for tokens beginning with the R/r characters.
5E: Updated encounter npc token linking. PAR5E will now use the following order when auto linking encounter npcs to tokens

Full match of the Encounter NPC Title
Full match of the Encounter NPC Name
First Letter match of the Encounter NPC Title
First Letter match of the Encounter NPC Name

Thanks for the changes, but in the download zip (windows) is just the doc folder and no EXE

Zeus
May 31st, 2015, 19:36
Thanks for the changes, but in the download zip (windows) is just the doc folder and no EXE

Oops, my bad. I've rebuilt the package and uploaded build 62. Please try again.

Thegroo
May 31st, 2015, 22:10
Oops, my bad. I've rebuilt the package and uploaded build 62. Please try again.

All working fine now.
Thank you very much

cas206
June 1st, 2015, 14:44
Unfortunately, we have branched development on PAR5E. Zeus is actively working with us on commission for all the official D&D releases. We are adding new features and integration with PAR5E going forward, but these are bells and whistles that will remain exclusive to our versions of content. PAR5E will remain available in its current form in the future.

I was wondering about that. Since PAR5E was intended to work with multiple game rules, was continued development planned to support the other content? Is there a single non-5E thread to monitor for updates? Or will there be multiple updates posted to the specific game system forum?

Zacchaeus
June 1st, 2015, 14:57
Alrighty. Par5e has changed since I last used it. I see that the new version has some kind of checking so that weird things don't happen to your computer and I'm guessing this is my problem.

I'm parsing the Elemental evil Supplement so I have set up Par5e on my "C" drive and given the module path as c\par5e\pr5e-windows\Elemental. Within that folder I have created a folder called input into which the text files go. FG path is pointing to fantasy Grounds Modules.

When I try to par5e I get an 'invalid path' warning and par5e stops, so I'm clearly doing something wrong. So, can someone tell me where I should be putting the folder and what the structure of the folder should be please. I've searched through this thread and the documentation and I can't find an answer and Xorns tutorial video covers the old version.

noelyuk
June 1st, 2015, 15:26
I develop PAR5E on Mac so this is a little surprising. The only errors I have seen reported from other mac users is where the internal file permissions get scrambled on download. If this is the case open Terminal.app in /Applications

cd to the location of the PAR5E (Public).app you downloaded e.g. /Applications/PAR5E (Public).app

./JavaAppLauncher

That worked a treat Zeus. Thanks ever so much :)

Trenloe
June 1st, 2015, 16:38
Alrighty. Par5e has changed since I last used it. I see that the new version has some kind of checking so that weird things don't happen to your computer and I'm guessing this is my problem.
Don't know if you've done this or not - with the new version/s you need to create a complete new configuration, don't use a configuration from a previous version.

Nylanfs
June 1st, 2015, 17:29
also I bet it's the "-" messing it up.

Zacchaeus
June 1st, 2015, 17:57
also I bet it's the "-" messing it up.

Nope. The old one had the same name.

Zacchaeus
June 1st, 2015, 17:58
Don't know if you've done this or not - with the new version/s you need to create a complete new configuration, don't use a configuration from a previous version.

Yep, deleted the old one completely before I started.

Guess what though, I had forgotten to append .txt to the spells file. What a numpty!

Nylanfs
June 1st, 2015, 19:07
heh It's always the simplest things that trip things up. :)

Larac
June 7th, 2015, 00:26
Fairly sure the answer is no, but asking anyway just in case.

Is there a way to make a new Type for Magic Items in Par5e?

Like Belts, or some such?

I know I can change it in FG, just checking if I can do it in Par5e.

Thanks!

brustmlj
June 8th, 2015, 03:58
It seem like magic items are not parsing rarity correctly. Rarity is not showing on equipment table and is parsed to cost in a parcel. I believe I have the latest parser and I do have the latest FG updates. The below was copied from the PAR5E user guide.

Boots of Striding and Springing
Wondrous item, uncommon
While you wear these boots, your speed isn’t reduced if you are encumbered or wearing heavy armor. In addition, you jump three times the normal distance.

brustmlj
June 8th, 2015, 03:59
I have a question about parcels. I searched this thread for parcel and did not find anything helpful. I have noticed that my equipment parses correctly and is available in the equipment table with all the fields including description. When I add a piece of equipment to a parcel I believe I have read it makes a copy of the equipment. The parcel is getting created properly but the items copied do not to include the description. Am I doing something wrong?

From equipment.txt

#@;ADVENTURING GEAR
#th;Item;Cost;Weight
#st;Standard
Silver Necklace; 20 gp;-
Tranquilizing Poison;-;-
Poison Dart;-;-
Agate;100 gp;-

Silver Necklace. A silver necklace inlaid with finely cut agates worth 20 gp.

Tranquilizing Poison. DC 10 Constitution Save vs Poison or take 1d4 damage and Poisoned for 1 hour.

Poison Dart. DC 10 Constitution Save vs Poison or take 1d4 damage and Poisoned for 1 hour.

Agate. A small agate worth 100 gp.

From parcels.txt

#@;Defiance in Phlan

##;Mission 1
coin;10;GP
coin;22;SP
coin;52;CP
item;1;Silver Necklace
item;1;Tranquilizing Poison
item;1;Poison Dart
item;1;Agate

##;Mission 2
coin;10;GP
coin;22;SP
coin;52;CP

Thanks

brustmlj
June 8th, 2015, 16:56
I believe I am using the latest PAR5E 0.0.9.b56 and I have the latest FG updates. I have noticed that item descriptions are not being copied to parcels. Items are getting created properly and show up in the proper equipment tables with descriptions. Parcels are missing the descriptions. I have notices this for Adventure Gear and Armor. Magic items copy the description properly. If I drag the item to the parcel from the equipment table the description is properly copied.

dj-wedge
June 9th, 2015, 15:47
I'm sure this may have been asked before, but I am too lazy to go through 165 pages of forum posts...

Is there a way to enter nested tables through Par5e?

Thanks in advance,
Wedgie

brustmlj
June 9th, 2015, 21:34
I have upgraded to the latest PAR5E b62 and I still have the previously mentioned issues. Also I do not see that using imagegrids produces any results.

brustmlj
June 11th, 2015, 17:00
I have gotten imagegrids to work in my case by removing the spaces and () I had in the image name. Additionally the usage is not correct in the documentation or release notes. In the release post it states you must include the extension but in fact you should not include the extension. This is what the manual states. The manual however is incorrect with the x,y format. The manual states comma separated while the release notes state ; separated. So a combination of release notes and manual finally worked.

On an additional note the moduledb in the campaign folder seems to override the settings in the module itself. So if you are testing the module and playing with the size and offset parameters. Then open the map in FG. Then close the module. It will update the moduledb will the grid and offset. So if you go back into the module and update the parameters and reopen the module you will never see the change because FG uses the moduledb over the module db.xml.

I figured out how to clean out the moduledb xml in order to see the new behavior.

WansumBeats
June 11th, 2015, 18:34
Can't seem to get any info on this.... Wondering if parse will be updated to handle the new innate spell features?

bnickelsen
June 12th, 2015, 02:24
I just purchased all things D&D 5e, will I still benefit from this add-on on script?

LordEntrails
June 12th, 2015, 03:26
This script is if you have material (such as a 3rd or 4th edition module/book/etc) that you want to add. Or say you did not buy the complete monster pack, if you had purchased the Monster Manual (hardcover) you could scan it and then use this tool to "bulk" load or convert it into FG format.

You don't need it if you are playing with purchased materials.

Blahness98
June 12th, 2015, 03:38
Here's a question.. I am attempting to parse Frog God Games' Book of Lost Spells. I have it entered in and parsed for the most part, but I have since decided to add a listing of all spells per level to allow for searching. The issue that I am running into is if I place the all spells list at the start of the file, only the list for the Bard, Paladin and Ranger appear in FG. If I place the all spells listing at the bottom (after the Wizard Spells), it doesn't appear in FG unless if do not properly label the cantrips section. I have to use Cantrip (Level 0) to get all the spells to appear when the list is after Wizard. If I attempt to do the same while the all spells list is at the top, it only shows the four catagories.. I have followed Xorn's tutorials and parsed other lists, I just can't seem to figure this one out. Due to the nature of the product, I really can't share all that much code..

Treegreen
June 12th, 2015, 16:23
Can't seem to get any info on this.... Wondering if parse will be updated to handle the new innate spell features?

If you're referring to the Monster Manual they've actually entered every spell under each of the monsters. Adding the spells manually to each monster accomplishes the same thing in PAR5E right now. Just put them under actions and type it out like the other attacks (e.g. Spell Attack: +6, range 60/120 ft., one target. HIT: 26 fire damage).

Otherwise, they've stated a few times in this thread that there will be few, if any, updates to the public version of PAR5E going forward.

Treegreen
June 12th, 2015, 16:26
Here's a question.. I am attempting to parse Frog God Games' Book of Lost Spells. I have it entered in and parsed for the most part, but I have since decided to add a listing of all spells per level to allow for searching. The issue that I am running into is if I place the all spells list at the start of the file, only the list for the Bard, Paladin and Ranger appear in FG. If I place the all spells listing at the bottom (after the Wizard Spells), it doesn't appear in FG unless if do not properly label the cantrips section. I have to use Cantrip (Level 0) to get all the spells to appear when the list is after Wizard. If I attempt to do the same while the all spells list is at the top, it only shows the four catagories.. I have followed Xorn's tutorials and parsed other lists, I just can't seem to figure this one out. Due to the nature of the product, I really can't share all that much code..

My guess is it is not working because all the spells are listed under the classes already. That is a known issue and you can find discussions on it in this thread on the PoTA player's supplement. The solution, or at least the easiest fix, would be to create an all category and then under the cantrips list insert Blank as a spell name. Reparse. You should see the all list now with a -1 Blank listed at the top. Just ignore that.

WansumBeats
June 13th, 2015, 00:47

So this means the people that dumped a boatload of time into making there own monster manual wont be able to access new bells and whistles like the new spell casting content you added to your monster manual?

WansumBeats
June 13th, 2015, 00:51
Thanks Treegreen... i just downloaded the latest release of par5e and there is nothing in the documentation on how to add the spells. I spent weeks putting together my monster manual with better tokens and images and then boom 3.1 comes out with this easy new spell feature and i cant find ANY INFO on how to do it.

ddavison
June 13th, 2015, 01:46
So this means the people that dumped a boatload of time into making there own monster manual wont be able to access new bells and whistles like the new spell casting content you added to your monster manual?

Hello WansumBeats, we made a decision to branch off PAR5E into a separate internal tool. For us to continue pushing this tool to support more and more new features, it didn't make sense for us to provide that same level of enhancement as the free version. It wouldn't be in our interest or in the interest of our partner, Wizards of the Coast, to compete against our self with the free version. With that said, you can still link your spells to your completed NPCs by dragging spells to them within Fantasy Grounds.

itsdvw
June 13th, 2015, 02:52
Hello WansumBeats, we made a decision to branch off PAR5E into a separate internal tool. For us to continue pushing this tool to support more and more new features, it didn't make sense for us to provide that same level of enhancement as the free version. It wouldn't be in our interest or in the interest of our partner, Wizards of the Coast, to compete against our self with the free version. With that said, you can still link your spells to your completed NPCs by dragging spells to them within Fantasy Grounds.
That said, there are several other features that are being added that have no way of being used in modules for custom content. If there were a way to make use of these in-program it would be one thing but there are a lot of features now that just can't be used by anyone creating their own content outside of spending dozens of hours making sense of undocumented ruleset codes and then creating custom xml files.
And what exactly do you mean by "free version" - all of us playing in groups are paying monthly or have already paid a one-time fee. The only way the "free version" can play in a group is if the GM has paid a hefty price for / is subscribed to The ultimate version.

Griogre
June 13th, 2015, 03:18
By free version he doesn't mean free version of FG. He means your own "free" version of a 5E library module you created for your own personal use. There does seem to be some confusion here.

Par5e allows you to make your own 5E library data modules for "free." If you don't want to do this you have the choice of buying an official module(s). The official modules will have more bells and whistles. That's all he was saying.

ddavison
June 13th, 2015, 03:33
Thanks Griogre for clarifying my point. We believe that it is important that people who did choose to pay money for the packs to support us and our partnership with Wizards of the Coast should be rewarded with corrections, errata, and any additional value-added features we can muster. Having strong support for all of our partners makes it more likely that we will have a long partnership and that we'll succeed in landing other big name partnerships in the future. These publishers will know that we have their best interest in mind.

We will continue to add features to our official modules whenever possible, even after products have been launched, much like we do with the core engine and with the 5E ruleset itself. At the same time, we are careful not to erode functionality that people may have already built for themselves -- such as hand-built modules. These should still all work like they did before, and in fact, work even better now because NPCs support dragging and dropping spells to them within Fantasy Grounds.

I realize this is not a perfect solution for everyone, but I hope you will agree that it is a fair compromise.

itsdvw
June 13th, 2015, 03:34
Then perhaps more separation should be made between what features the subscription / license fees are paying for and what features the module fees are paying for. Because it sure feels like a lot of development is going into features that aren't accessible to people who don't pay extra for the official modules (many of us people who have already bought the books from Wizards before they were available on FG)

ddavison
June 13th, 2015, 03:42
Do you have an example of something that is not accessible? We try to make an interface for each feature that is accessible within 5E directly within Fantasy Grounds. We don't currently have an interface in FG for typing in your own spells outside of a character sheet or NPC sheet, but otherwise I think we support entry for anything you need.

itsdvw
June 13th, 2015, 05:48
How do you create a class inside of Fantasy Grounds? A new race? A skill? A feat? A background? None of these can be put into a module from FG. If there's a method to do so, it isn't explained in any official documentation. Par5e seems to be the only way, and any features added after Par5e went private are locked out. As far as I know, the public release of Par5e is not an official tool (if it is you should consider at least fixing its bugs if you won't add features). If you're considering the public version of Par5e as "accessible within 5E directly within Fantasy Grounds" I can list other features too. Support for multiclassing comes to mind but if you need more I'll happily go through the release notes and list features that aren't usable from within FG without further purchases (encrypted content, btw, so even if we buy them we can't even see example xml code of how they are implemented).

ddavison
June 13th, 2015, 06:32
You can play any class or race you want in FG without parsing anything or buying anything additional beyond your original purchase. You chose to use PAR5E, which was an unofficial tool written by an end-user to enhance your experience and that's great. Other people choose to buy packs with mostly the same content they could have built with PAR5E but without the effort of learning it or entering the data it uses. You could have also just entered in your class and abilities as you played without using any of the drag and drop.

Recreating the books as library modules inside of FG was never something we expect for end-users to do. Obviously we have a lot of talented people in the community who do this sort of thing though. Moon_Wizard and I both did this sort of thing as end-users before we became owners of the company in 2009 and we've each build our own sets of internal tools; however, that is something we consider to be above and beyond normal usage for Fantasy Grounds. It has traditionally been done by forming XML nodes and indexes to those nodes that match the XML structures inside the campaign's db.xml files. To see the kind of XML structure needed, a developer would create dummy records for these things by hand and would then make an XML module from it. All PAR5E does is write our XML in a usable fashion for FG without requiring the writing of any XML. He has already formatted the XML in a format that works -- although the structure and presentation of the indexes could have been different. Since PAR5E still works, you can see how the XML is structured by looking at the output.xml.

We never say, or apologize, for enhancing products that people may have purchased above and beyond the initial license. If none of our other add-on rulesets would have been updated over the years, we would have lost a lot of users over the years. I will say it again, each release note typically includes a mix of enhancements to the core engine, one or more rulesets, graphics, extensions, and purchased adventures or library modules.

WansumBeats
June 13th, 2015, 06:49
Doug, I spent the last three months trying to figure out how par5e worked. I invested hundreds of hours of time into making my own Monster Manual and Players Handbook, even parsed a couple of expedition modules for a group I DM here locally and this move feels like your pulling the rug out from under a DM's feet.

I've started playing d&d 35 years ago. I absolutely love it. I played basic (still have the box set with keep on the borderlands and my original red dice) all the way up to 3.5. I got married had kids and life took over my free time. My kids are 10 and 14 now and last september I read d&d 5th edition was out, hit a local gaming shop and watched some games and the bug got me again. Ive been DM'ing expeditions every Sunday since september last year for a group of 10+ (its rough and time consuming). I have bought every 5th edition book that has come out, DMG, PHB, MM, MoP, RoT, HotDQ, even the DMscreen. One of the guys i played with told me about roll20. I checked it out and loved it, but i started looking at alternatives and found FG. (long story is getting short).

I signed up three months ago, payed my 10 bucks a month to play around with the features, wasnt sure how stuff worked, found you on youtube (your videos are great btw(wish there were more)). I think you have an amazing platform and i love how this program does all the back end work for me (mapping could be better :)). In the first two months I worked on par5e, making the MM and PHB, literally spent over 100 hours pluggin away. Halfway through you guys hook up with WoTC and come out with your own PHB, which i bought cause its fn time consuming to make your own PHB. I starting comparing my version and yours and my version was way better. The spells were the sorted the way i wanted them be, i had pictures of class features instead of the tables you have to scroll down to see, i could add the elemental companion races and spells right into one book and include new content and my own personally created content right into one book for easy reference. My monster manual is 85mb, full of pictures and beautiful top down tokens for easy drag and drop play. The world was at peace doug.... the world was at peace.

I just finished the monster manual 2 weeks ago... a week later you come out and implement amazing new spell casting simplicity built right into the monster manual and i thought i died and went to heaven. Turns out i went to hell doug....burning hot steamy hell and satan is here with pineapples and sadam hussien and i think see kenny in the corner!!... you know what i mean doug.... cause i cant have awesome new built in spellcasting unless i buy your copy of the monster manual and use your tokens (which arent as nice as mine... some are even just letters doug!!!) and use your pictures (which also arent as nice as mine doug).

All things said and done... i hope you can tell im joking about everything above... sometimes it doesnt relay well in messages.

Now for the short part.

I bought your MM, i bought your PHB, i bought your ROT, i bought your HoTDQ, i bought your MoP and i dont want to use them... i wanna use my monster manual... its better cause i made it. Its better cause its got my flavour, my blood sweat and tears, my style!

Par5e makes FG awesome on the outside, cause on the outside when im making my own modules for play, its my creativity that fills those pages, my maps, my stories, my monsters... but my spellcasters will never be able to easily cast a spell.

I feel like you implemented a great mechanic into a module when you should have implemented it into your core system, so everyone gets use of it. I know you gotta sell books ect ect... i bought all your books today to show support for you and your company and because i think FG is amazing, i got em on sale yes, but ive bought everything that WoTC has to offer since 5th edition.. now ive bought everything 5e AGAIN on your platform and today i find out your plan is to implement new features into modules?

How many features are you going to implement in this way? Cause everytime you stuff a feature like this into a sub section of FG everyone looses out on that feature that doesnt pay.

I have a tonne of old modules and old dungeon magazines filled with material i would love to convert and play within FG... bring it back to life and replay with old friends... and your telling me after i paid for an ultimate license and bought ALL the material.. theres still features i wont be able to use proficiently in creating my own material?

Honestly i havent even looked into linking spells, so im not sure how much extra work for a dm its gonna be i dont even know if linking will let me auto roll stuff or just bring it up for reading.... but what im mostly concerned with is how many times are you going to do this? cause everytime you add some cool stuff like this to just stuff you sell, you take away from the overall whole players experience of FG.

JohnD
June 13th, 2015, 06:53
Here we go again.

damned
June 13th, 2015, 07:11
WansumBeats think on this.
When they started this ruleset 5e wasnt even released.
Then the first official book was PHB and things had to be changed and updated to accommodate the official rules.
The DMG adds more rules, more options, more refinements - so changes to the ruleset are gonna happen.
Then you have testing and play testing and user feedback - like yours - and all this goes into changing the product.
If you look thru release notes you will see many older rulesets getting tweaks and updates still.

The stuff about your MM vs the official MM is all tru - the hardback book doesnt contain images of every monster - hence the Letter tokens. Your MM contains art work sourced from - where? FG cant just go and grab artwork and include it. They can buy artwork but that makes the product more expensive.

Your perspective is absolutely valid - but its not the only perspective. You commitment to Par5e'ing your own modules is significant and it does suck to have changes affect that effort.
Another perspective that is probably a significant one is that of Wizards. While Wizards have not asked for Par5e to be shutdown its not in Wizards or Smiteworks best interests (as much as we might wish for it to be otherwise) to continue to develop a competitive tool.
Par5e was a tool written by (at that time) a community member and it was written before any deal had been done with the Wizards.

And to your last question... there is roughly a ruleset update/release every quarter. Some are substantial, some have lots of little tweaks, some focus on one particular ruleset.
Unfortunately - to your case - there are likely to be other things that affect Par5e content...

ddavison
June 13th, 2015, 07:15
I'm not really sure what to say here. While we desperately wanted to give people a heads up about the deal with WoTC before they spent 100s of hours building their own stuff, we simply weren't able to. Until it was final, it also wasn't a sure thing. Let me think on it some more and come back to you. At the end of the day, we really don't want to take something that we worked really hard to make awesome (like preloaded spell actions for NPCs) and just push it out so that people can build it with a click of a button using PAR5E. Frankly, while I appreciate that you and others in the community buy stuff from us simply to support our efforts, it is a horrible business model. We have some first hand exposure to it with FATE Core since we give that away for free and then made it Pay-what-you-want.

Perhaps a round of sleep and a clearer head will allow me to see things in a new light.

brustmlj
June 13th, 2015, 07:31
I love Par5e. It has been great for me as a FG learning tool and provided quite a bit of needed functionality. Laying out a story, encounters, parcels, modules is just plain easier. We should be really careful how much complaining is done here. It is really not in WoTC interest to let Par5e be used as it has been. We are lucky they have not to this point ask it to be shut down.

GunnarGreybeard
June 13th, 2015, 07:48
Well, I have to throw my 2 cents in on this. Personally, as long as it remains functional for creating the vast majority of content that works in the 5e ruleset, I'm cool with it not being able to completely replicate all the tweaks and functionality in the official 5e ruleset. I see it as a boon for those wanting to create their own 5e homebrew content like races and classes even though I know it encroaches on WotC in that regard. Without it my Harnmaster to 5e conversion will likely never see the light of day.

WansumBeats
June 13th, 2015, 07:48
Maybe a good round of sleep will stir up a better solution..

"At the end of the day, we really don't want to take something that we worked really hard to make awesome (like preloaded spell actions for NPCs) and just push it out so that people can build it with a click of a button using PAR5E" --- I only wanted to quote this part but i suck at forums :)

You should look at this in a different light.... at the end of the day we worked really hard to make something awesome to keep you paying your 10 bucks a month or getting your ultimate subscription... or wanting to stick around and see what other cool stuff we will implement.

Par5e and FG are amazing together... like the wonder twins.... you tear em apart and what do you get.. a buck of water and shape of a monkey.

and dammed thanks for your input.. i read it all and understand where your coming from, and thanks for the spell info im going to look into it after i get some sleep.

One last thing... stealing from WotC isnt the issue... parse can be used for so much more than just the MM... implementing features in a tiny part of FG isnt in smiteworks best interest... your not in the business of selling monster manuals for WoTC.

Dakadin
June 13th, 2015, 08:37
I would rather see Smiteworks protect their relationship with Wizards than potentially jeopardize it. Par5e has the potential to do that because once you get familiar with how it works you can create modules much easier than manipulating the XML by hand.

The amazing thing about FG is how you can tweak it to meet your needs if you are willing to put the effort into it. You've obviously put quite a bit of effort into it and you don't need to lose what you've put into it. You can add the functionality you want without using Par5e. It will just require a bit more work. Damned gives a good example of how you can find out what you need. If you aren't afraid of ruleset code you could look up the classes in the 5E ruleset. You would just need to check the class used in your MM. Then do a find in files to find the windowclass. You would have to figure out what fields are needed and to manually enter in the additional fields into your XML that you want to use but it definitely is possible. It just depends on the work you want to put into it.

Treegreen
June 13th, 2015, 15:23
its not in Wizards or Smiteworks best interests (as much as we might wish for it to be otherwise) to continue to develop a competitive tool.
Par5e was a tool written by (at that time) a community member and it was written before any deal had been done with the Wizards.

This is the most important part in the whole debate. SmiteWorks and WoTC have to pet the kitty, so to speak. It's kind of silly to expect them to release a tool that circumvents the business model. At the same time, nothing is stopping other people from creating and releasing a tool to replace PAR5E.

itsdvw
June 14th, 2015, 06:03
This is the most important part in the whole debate. SmiteWorks and WoTC have to pet the kitty, so to speak. It's kind of silly to expect them to release a tool that circumvents the business model. At the same time, nothing is stopping other people from creating and releasing a tool to replace PAR5E.

If their business is simply as a reseller of WotC content then perhaps Par5e does circumvent their business model. But if it is to get people to buy into their tabletop system, and invest themselves and their group into subscriptions to support further development of the system, then having a tool like Par5e available (even if it isn't maintained by them) would make sense for them. I understand that they want to spruce up their official modules and make them appealing to purchase - and I support that completely. I don't want them to strain their relationship with Wizards or keep people from buying the official content - in fact, with the dozens or hundreds of hours it takes to parse the official rules (not even counting scanning and OCRing the books) it's really not worth any money you would save - this is really all about custom content.

"Unofficial" or not, Par5e was developed in close conjunction with the development of the 5e ruleset and continues to be. It's true that it's possible to see some of the structure used by Fantasy Grounds via the export function but many things cannot be exported or even created in Fantasy Grounds and examining Par5e output or combing through largely undocumented ruleset code seem to be the only ways to find information on the format. There is a large barrier to entry to create a new 5e-compatible parser.

Honestly I think my biggest issue is that buying out a piece of community software that had been intended to be released as open-source and extendable to other rulesets and then blocking public access to further developments is a pretty community-unfriendly move. If FG has effectively blocked further updates to the only currently available tool for creating most content for 5e, perhaps they would compromise by releasing documentation for the ruleset? Then perhaps work on a Par5e alternative might actually be viable. Alternatively, releasing the source code for the public version of Par5e would allow the community to fix the bugs and problems with it without any FG developer time being spent on it.

And I apologize if I've sounded angry or argumentative, it's just a frustrating situation. This is obviously a very complex issue that a lot of people are heavily invested into. I do understand the other sides to this, perhaps I just disagree with how much Par5e "competes" with what they're doing. Maybe it's just frustrating to see that the system they're developing is capable of such cool things and yet not be able to use those cool things in any custom content. Perhaps I just need to take a step back and re-evaluate how much time and money I'm willing to put into Fantasy Grounds.

ddavison
June 14th, 2015, 15:13
In this case, it is not going to be possible to please everyone. While the feedback here is that you want your modules built by hand to be as good or better than the official content, other feedback we received was that people expected the official versions to be better than what they could have built themselves. Obviously, one side is not going to be happy with the solution there.

What we plan to do is continue to enhance the interfaces within the 5E ruleset directly so that it support more and more features and is easy to manipulate and customize in-game instead of outside of the software. The reliance on PAR5E is a huge barrier for new customers, who would otherwise be happier if they could enter stuff as needed in their campaign itself. I can understand why you might be frustrated that you can't just plug in the same level of functionality that we have done with the Monster NPCs and spells, for instance, within PAR5E. On the flip side, though, you haven't loss *any* functionality and now you can do cool new stuff with your NPCs within FG directly by just dragging from your spell libraries to your monster entries. It is probably easier to do that and then re-export the customized NPCs from your base library anyway.

bnickelsen
June 14th, 2015, 16:02
In this case, it is not going to be possible to please everyone. While the feedback here is that you want your modules built by hand to be as good or better than the official content, other feedback we received was that people expected the official versions to be better than what they could have built themselves. Obviously, one side is not going to be happy with the solution there.

What we plan to do is continue to enhance the interfaces within the 5E ruleset directly so that it support more and more features and is easy to manipulate and customize in-game instead of outside of the software. The reliance on PAR5E is a huge barrier for new customers, who would otherwise be happier if they could enter stuff as needed in their campaign itself. I can understand why you might be frustrated that you can't just plug in the same level of functionality that we have done with the Monster NPCs and spells, for instance, within PAR5E. On the flip side, though, you haven't loss *any* functionality and now you can do cool new stuff with your NPCs within FG directly by just dragging from your spell libraries to your monster entries. It is probably easier to do that and then re-export the customized NPCs from your base library anyway.

One of the reasons I just switched to FG was due to user developed content vs developer content.
I would rather have developer supported content.

itsdvw
June 14th, 2015, 19:37
I can't speak for others but I'm fine with the way NPC spells have been handled. What you have said are viable options. What concerns me more are things like building and exporting custom races or classes. If what you mean there is that FG plans to create interfaces for entering and exporting classes then that answers many of my objections. I would never expect anything that I created to be more polished than official content, but I would like it to work in the same way. If multiclassing works on official modules then I'd like players using classes I created to be able to use my classes in conjunction with the official ones that we have bought.

Larac
June 15th, 2015, 04:40
I would rather see Smiteworks protect their relationship with Wizards than potentially jeopardize it. Par5e has the potential to do that because once you get familiar with how it works you can create modules much easier than manipulating the XML by hand.

The amazing thing about FG is how you can tweak it to meet your needs if you are willing to put the effort into it. You've obviously put quite a bit of effort into it and you don't need to lose what you've put into it. You can add the functionality you want without using Par5e. It will just require a bit more work. Damned gives a good example of how you can find out what you need. If you aren't afraid of ruleset code you could look up the classes in the 5E ruleset. You would just need to check the class used in your MM. Then do a find in files to find the windowclass. You would have to figure out what fields are needed and to manually enter in the additional fields into your XML that you want to use but it definitely is possible. It just depends on the work you want to put into it.

How can we look at it when it is encrypted?

damned
June 15th, 2015, 04:50
How can we look at it when it is encrypted?

The ruleset is not encrypted.
You can unzip it and look at all the files there - it will take some getting used to understanding what you are looking at though.
The Wizards IP is all encrypted - thats all their wordy stuff.

epithet
June 15th, 2015, 05:05

I am dismayed at your decision to suspend development of the PAR5E tool for use by the community. I have bought your official content modules, but I still greatly value the ability to use PAR5E to generate custom or "homebrew" content modules, and the ability to do so--as well as the commitment to provide a tool that made module generation like that possible--greatly enhanced the value of your product, at least to me.

I understand your point that it is possible to enter custom content directly onto a character, but that is not the issue. PAR5E represented the only practical way to generate a module of supplemental rules for use by everyone in a campaign, including class variants, alternative spells, exotic weapons, etc.

This seems like a first step toward making Fantasy Grounds a closed system that is not friendly to user-generated content. I strongly believe that would be unfortunate for everyone, because the openness of your platform has been a major factor in your success.

brustmlj
June 15th, 2015, 05:49
As damned just clearly indicated the ruleset is completely open. The ability for a Par5E tool to exist is fully supported. I have posted previously I have learned a lot about the 5E ruleset using Par5E. I think the homebrew argument is a very strong argument. I am not sure that Par5E truly goes as far as people imply though. For example I do not think you could use it to do PreGen characters with homebrew classes and races. Admittedly I have not tried this but I am skeptical it would really work.

As strong as the homebrew case is. I think we are all being a little dishonest if we do not acknowledge the 500 lb. gorilla in the room. I would guess that for every true homebrew case of usage there are 20 copyright infringement cases from various of sources (Wizards, Pathfinder, whatever). These numbers are just my imagination. But I really think the biggest usage of Par5E. Many of the tutorial on YouTube show exactly that. Can we really expect Smiteworks to continue to develop a tool that makes it easy to violates a partners IP? Can we really expect them to get other partnerships if IP issues are a reality?

How is Par5e supposed to validate homebrew vs. copyright violation usage? It is simply a text parsing tool. How is it supposed to know the text came from a legal source or not. There are surely reasons Wizards has chosen not to release PDF versions of their books even to those people willing to pay the price for their material.

I value the product Smiteworks has put together. I value the work they have done in building a relationship with Wizards to provide licensed content. I wish them all the success in bringing other partners into the fold. I will not further push them to provide a tool that can jeopardizes those types of relationships. I value being able to play in a platform which offers licensed content. I would like Smiteworks to continue to develop the existing available wizards content and hopefully build the relationship to the point that when content drops from wizards then the content is available in short order on FG.

I will admit for myself that this is a bit easier to swallow since I have gotten back into gaming because I read that FG had reached a partnership with Wizards for licensed content. I also read very good reviews of 5th Edition and things just seemed to be looking up. So I bought all of Wizards hard cover material and I bought all of FG licensed material. I did not personally have to figure out how to play 5E in FG without licensed content.

I think we should all be grateful for the Par5E tool showing us what can be accomplished in a tool. I am sure there are those out there resourceful enough to privately develop a replacement tool.

epithet
June 15th, 2015, 13:30
I think your "copyright infringement" numbers are, if anything, reversed from reality. Speaking from experience, to create a Player's Handbook module from a scanned document is an effort that requires patience, perseverance, and dedication. I think you will find few people so committed to playing an RPG who are yet unwilling to buy the rulebooks.

Having bought a rulebook, there is no infringement in making a copy for your own use, which is what you're doing when you extract the text, mark it up, and feed it through PAR5E. Every company dreams of bringing to market a product that inspires such enthusiasm in its consumers. If WotC resents or begrudges that behavior, they are being foolish.

brustmlj
June 15th, 2015, 17:41
Ok I am not a copyright lawyer. But it seems to me if Wizards was willing to let their "text" be re-used in such a way then they would not require FG to encrypt their data and they would provide PDFs versions of the source material for those who purchase the hardcover material. Since they have not done this I think is seems important to them. They have provided open PDFs for a lot of the basic rules, adventure league play, background and such. So it seems to me they make very clear what material people should be able to use in such a way.

This is just me observing Wizard's behavior. I have no knowledge of the agreements made between Smiteworks and Wizards. I want that relationship to continue to succeed. And I want Smiteworks to be able to make further types of these relationships.

Nylanfs
June 15th, 2015, 19:12
Lets get this out of the way, there have been MULTIPLE court cases (going back close to the origin of the printing press) settling the fact that one can reproduce for their own use materials that they have purchased. Using the parse tool falls in this category, sharing that resulting data falls under copyright infringement (note I dislike the term piracy because it implies theft and not infringement) and is thus illegal.

brustmlj
June 15th, 2015, 19:38
Is a DM creating a module to use in a campaign in fact personal use or are they in fact sharing it with their players? You are not creating your own MM module for personal use. You are not creating a PHB module for personal use. I do not know the answer. It is clear, based on their actions, Wizards wants to protect their IP.

JohnD
June 15th, 2015, 21:10
Is a DM creating a module to use in a campaign in fact personal use or are they in fact sharing it with their players? You are not creating your own MM module for personal use. You are not creating a PHB module for personal use. I do not know the answer. It is clear, based on their actions, Wizards wants to protect their IP.

Like in a face to face game, where I the DM let my players use my PHB and then take it with me at the end of the game. It's that kind of "sharing".

brustmlj
June 15th, 2015, 21:26
A single physical book provides a single person the ability to let one other person use it. Or a few over the shoulders readers reading the same page. It is limited to one physical location. Buying a physical book does not give the right to strip all the content put it into a different format and then share it simultaneously with multiple people around the world. Buying a PHB, MM, Module, ... license in FG gives you that right.

At least this is how is seems to me. Again I am not a copyright lawyer.

Larac
June 15th, 2015, 23:51
Called Fair Use, and as been eroded in the USA for decades, a few other countries still support Fair Use, most follow the USA.

I bought that book, for my use I can do anything I want with it and the data, for my use.
Or are you claiming that if I write down a Magic Item for a player I have to see his DMG that it is contained in? Before I give it to him or her????
That is the end result of nothing can be shared, do all the players now have to buy a module to play in it?

Like Copy Rights has become a way for lawyers to justify their being, and the current laws just have everyone suing everyone.

Yes the makers deserve some protection but so does the buyer, believe me Hasbro would love to get it into law, that you do not own your books, like many software agreements are now.

The only reason to have to pay 50 USD for books and then Ecopies is GREED.

If they priced the Ecopies at a decent price most folks would buy them, but they have bought into the dream that if one person shared that copy they lost 50 bucks, not that 200k were sold.
At 15$ each for 3 Million. Then when a few do see it they want 100 Million, then complain when it does not sell at 50 USD each.

Profit is needed, Greed is not, fair price they will sell many. Gouge and it will fail.

Larac
June 16th, 2015, 00:14
The ruleset is not encrypted.
You can unzip it and look at all the files there - it will take some getting used to understanding what you are looking at though.
The Wizards IP is all encrypted - thats all their wordy stuff.

From MOON I got the idea that these new changes are indeed in the DATA and out of sight.

It really comes down to what SmiteWorks wants to be, and I do not think they have really thought about the massive change that happened when they became part of WOTC.
They have said they do not set the price, or control releases, so from the consumer they are now for 5e a part of WOTC.

They seem surprised that folks are concerned, that makes be think they have not looked at how the changes look from the outside.

ATM they are the best for this, IMHO, but that can change fast.

The worse thing that can happen is the Fans attacking those with concerns, thinking they are helping.
It is the DEVs and Owners jobs to deal with those.

Not saying you are doing that Damned but some remarks have been curt, and that does not help Smite Works at all.

The folks there have a lot to think about, and have been so busy with the nuts and bolts to look at where they are going.
My suggestion to them is take the time to decide now what they wish to become, before it starts to get to muddled.

Still like them and use FG, but starting to wonder how I can use it to play my game, with my changes as time goes on.
If I can not add my own stuff in, which I can atm thanks to Parse, but will that change will it get to the point where I can not add custom back grounds, or races.
That worries me.

Dakadin
June 16th, 2015, 00:48
Agreed, there are changes in the data that we can't see but those changes also need to be added to the ruleset otherwise the data can't be used properly in the game. I am not saying it is an easy undertaking but it definitely is possible to figure out what data fields are being looked at by the ruleset.

Also if you are able to include the custom backgrounds and races now then you should be able to continue doing that using Par5E. It just might not include some of the new bells and whistles they are adding. Has that changed recently? If so then I would definitely let them know.

Nylanfs
June 16th, 2015, 01:56
I think you are mis-understanding how FG shares the data with the players. Everything the GM shares in his game is stored in ENCRYPTED form in the player's computers, they can only access that data while connected to the GM's campaign.

If you or ANYONE else is doing anything other than that, and you aren't using your own original material then that is infringement.

Thete
June 16th, 2015, 02:53
Like you say, perhaps some time think about this and devoting so resources to clarify things will help with expectations.
Right now I create my own reference books and resources either in xml or with Par5e, I do this for the currently unsupported rulesets that I am interested in (ie not 5E). It is a reality that the rules sets, extensions and modules are all unofficial and may from time to time break with updates to FG, also, given the rule sets all kinda branch from CoreRPG or older at some point in time they wont necesaraly reflect the latest impovements to Official rulesets or even the CoreRPG set they are based off.
How is the expectation of using PAR5E for 5E homebrew content any different from how it stands for homebrew for rulesets that do not also have offial content?

noelyuk
June 16th, 2015, 16:53
Hi there

Can someone help explain a Par5e issue i'm having? Apologies if this is not the place to post Par5e issues but I posted this elsewhere and it got overlooked.

I've been following Xorn's Par5e tutorial (which is excellent by the way) but I'm a little unsure as to exactly how the links work. In building my module I've tried to setup an (Adventure Index) page which will serve as the contents page as per Xorn's instructions when modbuilding. Now although all the story entries from my main story page work (on left of screenshot) none of the links from the (Adventure Index) on the right of the screenshot work.

https://i58.tinypic.com/axbaqq.jpg

Obviously I'm just being a bit thick. But what lines do I need to add to the document to make links from my Adventure index link to those main story sections? I know how to add those links from within FG I'm just not sure what lines to add so that it works in parse.

https://i62.tinypic.com/esp0zp.jpg

Can anyone help please?

PS. This is the error I get when I try to click any of the links listed on the Adventure Index (essentially a contents page)

https://i60.tinypic.com/2dm6xkm.jpg

OneSidedDie
June 16th, 2015, 18:09
Not at home to test but I think you need a "#zle;" on line 11 to close out your "#zls;" on line 5.

itsdvw
June 16th, 2015, 19:33
#zls; and #zle; are no longer needed - and are only used for lists of just links. Since you have other data mixed in there with the links (like headers), try removing the #zls;

crb31
June 16th, 2015, 19:53
Could I use the Par5e to enter in some old D&D modules- adding monsters and stuff from Monster Manual?

Nylanfs
June 16th, 2015, 20:25
Yes, although it might be just as fast as doing it all inside FG.

Trenloe
June 16th, 2015, 20:31
Could I use the Par5e to enter in some old D&D modules- adding monsters and stuff from Monster Manual?
As Nylanfs says, it might be just as quick to enter the data via the FG interface. Some info on doing that here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24753-Best-Adventure-Module-as-an-Example-Template&p=217265&viewfull=1#post217265 Especially Xorn's video.

If you're going to run the scenario using voice, then you don't need all of the adventure entered into FG - have the maps, key story/handout info you want to share with the players, NPCs and encounters, Items and parcels setup. You don't need to have all of the info that you are just going to read out loud - just do that from the book/PDF you already have. This will drastically reduce the amount of prep time you need to put an adventure into FG.

Create your adventure in a blank 5E campaign - call it something like "Module Maker - <scenario name>". Then you can export this into your own module (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Library#Module_Export) that you can use within a live campaign (just like the commercial modules). If you need to update the module with any changes or new functionality that FG adds in future, just open your module maker campaign and make the changes needed and export the module. This can be much quicker and easier than using PAR5E - especially if you're not used to PAR5E.

The main strengths of PAR5E are creating library content (spells, classes, feats, races, etc.) which can't be entered through the normal FG interface. Whereas PAR5E can do adventures as well, the info you need for adventures can be entered through the normal FG interface.

noelyuk
June 17th, 2015, 00:35
Not at home to test but I think you need a "#zle;" on line 11 to close out your "#zls;" on line 5.

There was actually a #zle; further down the list designed to close out the #zls; on line 5. Tried moving it to line 11 but it didn't solve the problem :( Also tried itsdvw's suggestion of removing both 'unneeded' #zls; and #zle; tags but no change. The links still don't work. I'm stumped! :(

noelyuk
June 17th, 2015, 00:38
#zls; and #zle; are no longer needed - and are only used for lists of just links. Since you have other data mixed in there with the links (like headers), try removing the #zls;

I was beginning to think these were serving no function. Nonetheless I removed both #zls; and #zle' tags but doing so made no difference. The links don't work. I don't know what I'm doing wong :(

ddavison
June 17th, 2015, 00:56
I would recommend treating each block of links as a completely separate item. Don't mix zl links with h links and other items.

#zls;
#zl;Item 1
#zl;Item 2
#zle;

#h;Other List
#zls;
#zl;Item A
#zl;Item B
#zle;

noelyuk
June 17th, 2015, 01:06
I would recommend treating each block of links as a completely separate item. Don't mix zl links with h links and other items.

#zls;
#zl;Item 1
#zl;Item 2
#zle;

#h;Other List
#zls;
#zl;Item A
#zl;Item B
#zle;

Tried the above but still no joy :(

itsdvw
June 17th, 2015, 01:07
You sure you have the latest Par5e? It looks like it's linking to the wrong class type. Par5e should be making links with the encounter class but it looks like it's using reference_story for some reason. If you do have the latest Par5e try scrapping your properties file and output folder and recreating the configuration from scratch.

ddavison
June 17th, 2015, 01:13
What does the section for the targeted link location look like for the link you tested?

ddavison
June 17th, 2015, 01:19
YMMV, but if you are just doing an adventure, I personally think these are easier directly inside FG than they are in PAR5E. It's hard to mess up a link when you just drag it to your table of contents. Custom NPCs are easier in PAR5E, for sure, but dragging over existing NPCs into encounters and then preplacing them on a map is still much easier than providing the X,Y coordinates within PAR5E.

noelyuk
June 17th, 2015, 01:41
You sure you have the latest Par5e? It looks like it's linking to the wrong class type. Par5e should be making links with the encounter class but it looks like it's using reference_story for some reason. If you do have the latest Par5e try scrapping your properties file and output folder and recreating the configuration from scratch.

I tried the above but i'm still getting the same errors:

https://i58.tinypic.com/1581frk.jpg

This is my version of Par5e. The latest I think:

https://i62.tinypic.com/sndtzn.jpg

What does the section for the targeted link location look like for the link you tested?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you mean what errors I'm getting see above.

noelyuk
June 17th, 2015, 01:51
YMMV, but if you are just doing an adventure, I personally think these are easier directly inside FG than they are in PAR5E. It's hard to mess up a link when you just drag it to your table of contents. Custom NPCs are easier in PAR5E, for sure, but dragging over existing NPCs into encounters and then preplacing them on a map is still much easier than providing the X,Y coordinates within PAR5E.

I'm inclined to agree with you on this. I've built mods before from within FG and wanted to give Par5e a try because i'd heard it's faster. I'm sure it is once you get the hang of things but it's been slower for me since I've met so many problems. But I do like the parsing functionality, and I also like the way you can edit from within the mod using Par5e. Having now prepped all the story entries I simply want to be able to insert all the correct links. Is it possible to do both ie use Par5e to bulk upload all the story entries and the add all the links from within FG. I find the whole (can't edit a mod - need to edit as campaign and export as mod thing a bit quirky and will doing so prevent me from using the already parsed story entries I have?) Now that I have the parsed story entries. From within FG is there a way I can simply drag and drop to insert the links? I'm guessing I'd have to do that within a new campaign and then I don't think i'd be able to use the parsed text. Hmmm. I'm confused. Which admittedly is easily done :P

maugrim8866
June 17th, 2015, 02:46
I was hoping someone might be able to point out what I am doing incorrectly in this Equipment.txt file (attached). The Weapons parse fine, but when I add in the Adventuring Gear it just hangs. Kinda of going crazy.

Any Help is much appreciated.

WansumBeats
June 17th, 2015, 05:00
So just for my own personal clarity on the situation....

Was par5e created by a community member or by FG?

I know it was made by zeus, but ive been reading these forums and it im reading mixed information... its my impression that zeus was a community member and created this program, then FG came in and put zeus on contract to do par5e work for FG, so now there will be no more public updates... just private ones?

Anyone able to clarify this?

Im under the impression that FG came in and bought out a valueable community resourse, but i do read things wrong sometimes.

PaulGHarrison
June 17th, 2015, 05:08
Par5e doesn't seem to like ranges in the weight. Remove them from Ascendant Figurine, Scion Figurine, and Thamar Statue, and it will parse to completion.

Trenloe
June 17th, 2015, 06:04
Hi there

Can someone help explain a Par5e issue i'm having? Apologies if this is not the place to post Par5e issues but I posted this elsewhere and it got overlooked.

I've been following Xorn's Par5e tutorial (which is excellent by the way) but I'm a little unsure as to exactly how the links work. In building my module I've tried to setup an (Adventure Index) page which will serve as the contents page as per Xorn's instructions when modbuilding. Now although all the story entries from my main story page work (on left of screenshot) none of the links from the (Adventure Index) on the right of the screenshot work.

https://i58.tinypic.com/axbaqq.jpg

Obviously I'm just being a bit thick. But what lines do I need to add to the document to make links from my Adventure index link to those main story sections? I know how to add those links from within FG I'm just not sure what lines to add so that it works in parse.

https://i62.tinypic.com/esp0zp.jpg

Can anyone help please?

PS. This is the error I get when I try to click any of the links listed on the Adventure Index (essentially a contents page)

https://i60.tinypic.com/2dm6xkm.jpg
What ruleset are you making this module for?

Please include a screenshot of your PAR5E configuration tab.

Trenloe
June 17th, 2015, 06:12
This is my version of Par5e. The latest I think:

https://i62.tinypic.com/sndtzn.jpg
I can't read that version number - what is it?

itsdvw
June 17th, 2015, 06:27
So just for my own personal clarity on the situation....

Was par5e created by a community member or by FG?

I know it was made by zeus, but ive been reading these forums and it im reading mixed information... its my impression that zeus was a community member and created this program, then FG came in and put zeus on contract to do par5e work for FG, so now there will be no more public updates... just private ones?

Anyone able to clarify this?

Im under the impression that FG came in and bought out a valueable community resourse, but i do read things wrong sometimes.

From my understanding, Zeus was a community member who was working with the devs to create the 5e ruleset at the same time that he was working on Par5e. As late as a year ago Par5e was available as open source with the intention of people being able to use it for other rulesets as well.... At some point during their talks with Wizards he was brought in as an employee to work on the official 5e content, and once the Wizards deal was finalized public updates of Par5e were stopped. They've also declined to release the source code for the public version (there's still some code out there on a github repository but it's an older version and more importantly doesn't have a license, so anyone using any code from it would be opening themselves up to the possibility of a lawsuit if FG decided they didn't want it being used).

It may not have been their primary intention and obviously the events surrounding it are more complex but I'd say that your impression is accurate.

noelyuk
June 17th, 2015, 07:37
I can't read that version number - what is it?

It's the latest version:

v0.0.9-b62

JohnD
June 17th, 2015, 07:37
It's horrible when people and companies want to make a profit off of their work.

Loin
June 17th, 2015, 10:27
I cannot get a Race to parse at all. Tried just simple text with formatting exactly as stated in the 5e guide. Even copy and pasted the guide minus the extra ##; at the start and still get mal formed. Any ideas why it would still say mal formed warning?

Fixed: Reinstalled Par5e in a different folder. *Sigh* a day wasted to find out that was the error.

Trenloe
June 17th, 2015, 11:54
It's the latest version:

v0.0.9-b62
And what ruleset are you using this in? Please provide a screenshot of your configuration tab from PAR5E.

Thete
June 17th, 2015, 13:45
And what ruleset are you using this in? Please provide a screenshot of your configuration tab from PAR5E.

He is using CoreRPG rulesset I believe, I think Par5E is using 5E specific windowclasses, even when set to CoreRPG. I was having the same error when using the CoreRPG setting in Par5E and trying to open the resulting module in CoreRPG rulesset. What does make it work is adding an extension that grabs some of the 5E classes. Here is the one I use for TrailOfCthulhu (I've set as available to CoreRPG ruleset too). Apologies for the ToC specific font styles it uses.

Trenloe
June 17th, 2015, 13:53
He is using CoreRPG rulesset I believe
Thanks, that's what I was trying to find out (I asked twice).

The other ruleset functionality was put in the first release of Par5E, was pretty light back then and hasn't been updated with ruleset specific code other than for 5E. So, hardly surprising that certain classes won't work in non 5E rulesets.

For non-5E rulesets, you're probably better off just entering the data manually in FG and exporting to a module. Do this in a "module making" campaign that you only use to make the module, so you can come back to it in the future, update as needed and re-export the module.

maugrim8866
June 17th, 2015, 14:19
Par5e doesn't seem to like ranges in the weight. Remove them from Ascendant Figurine, Scion Figurine, and Thamar Statue, and it will parse to completion.

Thank you PaulGHarrison!!

xanstin
June 17th, 2015, 14:35
Deleted. Didn't realize I was late to the boat on asking questions for non official stuff.

epithet
June 17th, 2015, 16:18
It's horrible when people and companies want to make a profit off of their work.

I don't think there's any call to be snide or sanctimonious.

While I bought the hardcover books, generated my own modules using PAR5E, and then bought the overpriced official content modules from the FG storefront, I do think it is a little bit horrible when people and companies want to make that profit twice off of the same consumer for the same product. I also think it is generally horrible when people and companies try to increase the sale of their products by trying to make it more difficult to provide an alternative product.

In this instance, it appears that WotC was not content to sell hardcovers to people who might create a digital version of that content for their own (fair) use. Nor, perhaps, were they content for the PAR5E tool to provide hobbyists with a ready means to generate adventure or homebrew setting content for FG that might compete with their official product offerings. It appears that they pressured SmiteWorks to stop encouraging FG users to generate their own content, specifically to stop releasing the updated PAR5E tool for public use.

PAR5E should become more powerful and user-friendly, so that more Fantasy Grounds users would be encouraged to create content of their own. The fact that WotC (who is, by the way, already making substantial profit off of their work) is throwing their weight around to prevent that from happening is, in fact, horrible. Its not the most horrible thing in the history of ever, but let's not pretend that it isn't pungent.

ddavison
June 17th, 2015, 16:39
Let's all please try to keep the conversation civil.

What people didn't see is that we began working with Zeus very early on to create the 5E ruleset, functionality and the library modules to fully support a licensed D&D ruleset. PAR5E was created by Zeus as a tool to assist in this, and he shared it publicly as he continued development for it and for our content modules that we kept in-house. All these things grew organically, together. The public accessibility was something that was a potential problem on the horizon -- especially as it grew in popularity. We eventually started to make good in-roads with Wizards of the Coast, but the process was very long and drawn out and unsure that we would secure a license until it was all 100% done. The plan at this stage was always to have Zeus as the commissioned developer for the 5E modules. More recently, we discussed what should be done about PAR5E. Wizards of the Coast did not discuss this with us at all and may even be unaware of it entirely. The decision to branch it was our decision and pushed primarily by me. We decided to continue to make it available in its current form instead of taking it down.

Relying upon any outside tool to create content for Fantasy Grounds instead of improving the in-software ability to create content will be an inferior solution. This thread has 173 pages of posts for people trying to figure out how to use the thing. Yes, it is powerful. No, it is not intended for the general audience of Fantasy Grounds.

At this point, I am close to locking this thread because I think everything that people wanted to say has been said. People have come to different conclusions about the best way forward. Fantasy Grounds and the 5E ruleset will continue to grow and improve in functionality. If this change really means that you can't enjoy that experience, then I don't have anything else to tell you on the subject.

epithet
June 17th, 2015, 18:14
I am relieved to hear that WotC did not, in fact, pressure you regarding the tool.

Since the fate of PAR5E is entirely yours to determine, I would point out that 173 pages of of posts from people trying to figure out how to use the tool (despite its rough interface) suggests a significant demand. If you are determined to discontinue updating the tool, you might consider adding functionality within FG to accommodate reference manual creation and the sort of discrete categorization for which, as far as I know, PAR5E is the only current solution other than cooking your xml from scratch.

Treegreen
June 17th, 2015, 18:33
I am relieved to hear that WotC did not, in fact, pressure you regarding the tool.

Since the fate of PAR5E is entirely yours to determine, I would point out that 173 pages of of posts from people trying to figure out how to use the tool (despite its rough interface) suggests a significant demand. If you are determined to discontinue updating the tool, you might consider adding functionality within FG to accommodate reference manual creation and the sort of discrete categorization for which, as far as I know, PAR5E is the only current solution other than cooking your xml from scratch.

Looks like that's the plan.

brustmlj
June 17th, 2015, 20:25
I think one of the things lacking in FG is a decent set of story editing tools. One thing that PAR5E give is the ability to write out a complete story in a single text file. That story can have links, headings, and formattings. You can use external tools to edit the story. These editing tools can be the one that the user prefers. It has a simple text base format and I would say is pretty easy to learn. I think trying to develop a more extensive word processor type story editor in FG would be a lot of work.

It would be nice to be able to import a story.txt (or similar easy to use format). Having it automatically link to NPCs, Encounters, Images, and Parcels already in the campaign would be nice. Cleaning up previous story entry attempts.

Having to click through a bunch of windows to search and replace (city name, character name, random data) is a pain. Changing the structure of an adventure, i.e. moving chapters, story panels, links around can be tiresome.

Thete
June 18th, 2015, 00:05
I think one of the things lacking in FG is a decent set of story editing tools. One thing that PAR5E give is the ability to write out a complete story in a single text file. That story can have links, headings, and formattings. You can use external tools to edit the story. These editing tools can be the one that the user prefers. It has a simple text base format and I would say is pretty easy to learn. I think trying to develop a more extensive word processor type story editor in FG would be a lot of work.
Having to click through a bunch of windows to search and replace (city name, character name, random data) is a pain. Changing the structure of an adventure, i.e. moving chapters, story panels, links around can be tiresome.

I must admit that flexability to reorder and re-cook entries is why I'm attracted to Par5e, along with the speed increase on XML by hand. Personally, I'm not interested in using it for content already purchasable through SM, buying modules is cheap in money and hellova time saving too.

But do what you gotta do smiteworks :) you're too small a team to be too burning time on this...in the long term I agree that some kind of high level conent management tool or FG features would be awesome!

maugrim8866
June 18th, 2015, 04:19
I have been staring at this class.txt all evening without understanding why Par5e just hangs on it.
I was hoping some fresh eyes and someone with more experience could give me a hint.

Thanks for the help in advance!

WansumBeats
June 18th, 2015, 05:43

Doug it is possible to please everyone.... give us all access to new content instead of a select few.

I dont see a giant thread of people who bought material complaining it isnt good?

Its great you plan on continuing to enhance the ingame interface for new customers....in the mean time why take away and make it harder for existing customers?

We havent lost any functionality? Can you post a video on youtube showing us how easy it is to do? cause as it stands right now... i dont know how to add spells to say the acolyte in my monster manual

Certainly it would be easier for me to just edit every spell caster in parse and the zip up my monster manual mod when i have free time and be ready to go, then to drag spells from my players handbook onto my npc sheets? which i cant seem to do...

wait wait.. i get it.. i have to create a new NPC enter in ALL the information about that NPC... then i can drag over spells??? what?? i must be missing something.

bottom line... FG isnt on par with par5e for adding custom content and making modules...and youve only taken away from your players by not giving them access to new features... forcing me to use an inferior monster manual with letter tokens and circle tokens and not having the ability to make custom modules with those features built in.... is a loss. period.

Im sorry to those people that are upset with your manual not being better than community made ones... but feel free to spend 100 hours and a couple weeks of your life creating your own personalized better version.

now isnt the time to pull par5e support... when FG is as good as par5e... pull it then and WotC has what 3 or 4 modules out right now? then what do we do... plug away for hours entering our modules and clicking 7 buttons to get BOLD text... come on doug... this isnt right.

theres so much more you could be investing your time in, like built in enhanced images, dynamic lighting and sound. things everyone can enjoy.

i mean this in the most lighthearted way... im not trying to attack you or be an *******... but theres no reason you cant continue to make FG more input friendly and continue to let the community use par5e until such time as it is...

currently im in limbo... i feel cheated... i used to be excited to come home and work on stuff for FG and i was going to parse all the expedition season 2 stuff for my store games... but not having access to features just really blew me away and im worried id be wasting my time and im just waiting to see what other "for paid only" customer content your going to come out with.

and i PAID lol... i bought the MM. My deal is making my own modules.. i cant add the npc's with innate spells built into my modules.. i can only access that feature if i make the npc ingame by typing it all in..

ugh... frustrated....

thanks for coming on the forums and reading and responding to these complaints doug... i really do appreciate you putting the time in with the community. i feel good about that :)

sincerely,
wansum

Thete
June 18th, 2015, 06:07
I have been staring at this class.txt all evening without understanding why Par5e just hangs on it.
I was hoping some fresh eyes and someone with more experience could give me a hint.

Thanks for the help in advance!

I would try removing sections (and pasting to another file of course) until it parses successfully, that'll let you know what line is the culprit

Dakadin
June 18th, 2015, 07:08
Doug it is possible to please everyone.... give us all access to new content instead of a select few.

I dont see a giant thread of people who bought material complaining it isnt good?

Its great you plan on continuing to enhance the ingame interface for new customers....in the mean time why take away and make it harder for existing customers?

We havent lost any functionality? Can you post a video on youtube showing us how easy it is to do? cause as it stands right now... i dont know how to add spells to say the acolyte in my monster manual

Certainly it would be easier for me to just edit every spell caster in parse and the zip up my monster manual mod when i have free time and be ready to go, then to drag spells from my players handbook onto my npc sheets? which i cant seem to do...

wait wait.. i get it.. i have to create a new NPC enter in ALL the information about that NPC... then i can drag over spells??? what?? i must be missing something.

bottom line... FG isnt on par with par5e for adding custom content and making modules...and youve only taken away from your players by not giving them access to new features... forcing me to use an inferior monster manual with letter tokens and circle tokens and not having the ability to make custom modules with those features built in.... is a loss. period.

Im sorry to those people that are upset with your manual not being better than community made ones... but feel free to spend 100 hours and a couple weeks of your life creating your own personalized better version.

now isnt the time to pull par5e support... when FG is as good as par5e... pull it then and WotC has what 3 or 4 modules out right now? then what do we do... plug away for hours entering our modules and clicking 7 buttons to get BOLD text... come on doug... this isnt right.

theres so much more you could be investing your time in, like built in enhanced images, dynamic lighting and sound. things everyone can enjoy.

i mean this in the most lighthearted way... im not trying to attack you or be an *******... but theres no reason you cant continue to make FG more input friendly and continue to let the community use par5e until such time as it is...

currently im in limbo... i feel cheated... i used to be excited to come home and work on stuff for FG and i was going to parse all the expedition season 2 stuff for my store games... but not having access to features just really blew me away and im worried id be wasting my time and im just waiting to see what other "for paid only" customer content your going to come out with.

and i PAID lol... i bought the MM. My deal is making my own modules.. i cant add the npc's with innate spells built into my modules.. i can only access that feature if i make the npc ingame by typing it all in..

ugh... frustrated....

thanks for coming on the forums and reading and responding to these complaints doug... i really do appreciate you putting the time in with the community. i feel good about that :)

sincerely,
wansum

I am sure it is frustrating for you but you should be able to build the module you want even with the new functionality. Your post definitely got me thinking about possibilities. Here is a possible solution that you might be able to use to get your module the way you want. I haven't used PAR5E (or played 5E even though I own the store modules) so I can't say if it would be easier than just using PAR5E.

Since you own the MM this should be possible but will require a bit of XML.

Create a new campaign
Open the MM module
Drag a NPC from the MM to your NPCs window for your campaign that you would like to add spells to
Exit the campaign
Open the db.xml file for your campaign
Go to the NPC of the XML and find the NPC you copied in the <npc> section
Copy for the <spells> section from the NPC
Open your modules xml file that has the NPCs in it
Find the appropriate NPC in your module
Paste the <spells> section into the same place in your module's NPC
Save your module and test to see if it will work for you

Just from a look at the spells section it is just a list of id nodes (e.g., <id-00001>) for each spell. These nodes have the following 2 nodes:

<desc type="string"> - which contains the complete description of the spell
<name type="string"> - which contains the name of the spell

The ruleset is parsing the description which is providing the NPCs and Combat Tracker with the spell functionality. I know this doesn't get PAR5E updated but it should be a good example that the modules are just data. The actual handling of that data is all being done by the ruleset so you should be able to get your modules to use any added functionality. The thing that makes is much harder is the D&D modules are all encrypted so we can't see what the structure looks like but that doesn't mean we can't figure it out and build our own modules that use the newest functionality.

Hopefully it helps you to build your modules the way you want.

Dakadin

Thete
June 18th, 2015, 07:15
I am sure it is frustrating for you but you should be able to build the module you want even with the new functionality. Your post definitely got me thinking about possibilities. Here is a possible solution that you might be able to use to get your module the way you want. I haven't used PAR5E (or played 5E even though I own the store modules) so I can't say if it would be easier than just using PAR5E.

Create a new campaign
Open the MM module
Drag a NPC from the MM to your NPCs window for your campaign that you would like to add spells to
Exit the campaign

Just from a look at the spells section it is just a list of id nodes (e.g., <id-00001>) for each spell. These nodes have the following 2 nodes:

The ruleset is parsing the description which is providing the NPCs and Combat Tracker with the spell functionality. I know this doesn't get PAR5E updated but it should be a good example that the modules are just data. The actual handling of that data is all being done by the ruleset so you should be able to get your modules to use any added functionality. The thing that makes is much harder is the D&D modules are all encrypted so we can't see what the structure looks like but that doesn't mean we can't figure it out and build our own modules that use the newest functionality.

Dakadin

+1

Thats the way to do it :)

noelyuk
June 18th, 2015, 08:17

Create a new campaign
Open the MM module
Exit the campaign

Dakadin

+1

Thats the way to do it :)

Agreed! And so succinctly explained. You should be writing Tutorials Dakadin! :)

I and a friend did a similar thing to add spells and actions to existing NPCs using a library module for the WFRP3 ruleset. Fiddly and time consuming at first admittedly but once you get the hang of it it doesn't take that long at all. And certainly less problematic and fiddly than my experience of using Par5e. Just ask Thete ;) lol

maugrim8866
June 19th, 2015, 01:20
I would try removing sections (and pasting to another file of course) until it parses successfully, that'll let you know what line is the culprit

Thanks for the advice Thete.
I tried removing sections and then parsing again. even removed everything except the expected text from the user guide.
[##;{Name of Class}\n
[{Descriptive FormattedText Line}\n]
Hit Points\n
Hit Dice: {text}\n
Hit Points at 1st Level: {text}\n
Hit Points at Higher Levels: {text}\n
Proficiencies\n
Armor: {text}\n
Weapons: {text}\n
Tools: {text}\n
Saving Throws: {text}\n
Skills: {text}\n
Equipment\n
[{equipmenttext}\n]

with no change.
Frustrated I thought to try an older version of Par5e v0.0.6-b7
And it parsed perfectly.
Any idea why it still will not parse in v0.0.9-b62? the debug mode capturefile.txt has a "\" and that is all.
Again thanks for the help!

eryndur
June 19th, 2015, 01:49
I'm really sorry for the newb question, but I'm hoping to run DDEX modules via FG on Twitch, so I'd like to become proficient with PAR5E. Problem is, I can't open the PAR5E.app file on my Mac running the latest Java runtime environment (1.8.0_45-b14). Clicking the .app file directly triggers an error message saying it can't be opened. As an alternative, I opened the package contents of the .app file and navigated to the PAR5E.jar file. When clicked, it briefly shows the launch splash screen, then quits without even the courtesy of an error message. Any mac users able to give me a hand?

damned
June 19th, 2015, 02:54
The author of Par5e uses a Mac - it definitely can work.
Try starting at this post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18123-Project-Par5e&p=195281&viewfull=1#post195281 and working forward

brustmlj
June 19th, 2015, 03:34
Thanks for the advice Thete.
I tried removing sections and then parsing again. even removed everything except the expected text from the user guide.
[##;{Name of Class}\n
[{Descriptive FormattedText Line}\n]
Hit Points\n
Hit Dice: {text}\n
Hit Points at 1st Level: {text}\n
Hit Points at Higher Levels: {text}\n
Proficiencies\n
Armor: {text}\n
Weapons: {text}\n
Tools: {text}\n
Saving Throws: {text}\n
Skills: {text}\n
Equipment\n
[{equipmenttext}\n]

with no change.
Frustrated I thought to try an older version of Par5e v0.0.6-b7
And it parsed perfectly.
Any idea why it still will not parse in v0.0.9-b62? the debug mode capturefile.txt has a "\" and that is all.
Again thanks for the help!

I found one problem. You need a line which simply has Equipment and a \r in it in order to have it recognize the equipment section. This allow the class to be parsed further and instead of crashing the parse it at least generated a warning on the class and finished the rest of the parse. I will try and keep at it be there is one thing.

noelyuk
June 19th, 2015, 03:39
The author of Par5e uses a Mac - it definitely can work.
Try starting at this post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18123-Project-Par5e&p=195281&viewfull=1#post195281 and working forward

Hey Eryndor! Yeah I'd echo what damned said. It sounds like the same problem I was having until Zeus helped me out. It's all in the post detailed above and for a few posts after but in a nutshell the following that Zeus told me is what got it working for me:

./JavaAppLauncher

eryndur
June 19th, 2015, 04:05
Wow, thank you so much, guys! Worked like a charm!

brustmlj
June 19th, 2015, 04:38
To maugrim8866

In addition to missing a line to identify the Equipment

Equipment

You do not have any class abilities. Adding the Equipment in the middle of the files (equipment area) and the following to the bottom of the file

#abh;Fred
#ab;Larry
This is just a test

allows it to parse. Whether that it parses as you like it I am not sure.

noelyuk
June 19th, 2015, 04:51
Oh so close to finally having my par5ed mod completed only to fall at the final hurdle :( I've noticed that all the apostrophe's and single and double speech marks are all not appearing correctly. I even tried replacing them with the following .xml codes but with no joy. Any ideas what I need to do to get them to show up correctly?

Oh and I tried these codes too and it still didn't work :(

Original CharacterXML entity replacementXML numeric replacement
" &quot; &#34; "
' &apos; &#39; '

maugrim8866
June 19th, 2015, 08:07
To maugrim8866

In addition to missing a line to identify the Equipment

Equipment

You do not have any class abilities. Adding the Equipment in the middle of the files (equipment area) and the following to the bottom of the file

#abh;Fred
#ab;Larry
This is just a test

allows it to parse. Whether that it parses as you like it I am not sure.

Brustmlj , you are a genius!
Thank you for pointing out the error I was making. It is all good now.
Sad how much satisfaction I get from watching the parse complete and build :)