PDA

View Full Version : Project: Par5e

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

wgdevanna
October 25th, 2014, 06:24
Continuing the Aboleth parsing discussion. Keying on what spoofer said, the triggering word is ACTIONS, which is causing re-categorization of some of the later appearing elements, even those coming after the ##; tag. I have found that the following produces nice (useful) results...

ABOLETH
Large aberration, lawful evil
Armor Class 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points 135 ...
Speed 10 ft., swim 40 ft.
STR DEX CON.....
Saving Throws Con xx, Int xx, Wis xx
Skills History +12, Pe...
Senses darkvision 120 ft., pas...
Languages Deep Spe.....
Challenge 10 (x,xxx XP)
Amphibious. The aboleth can breathe....
Mucous Cloud. While underwater, the aboleth....
Probing Telepathy. If a creature communicate....
ACTIONS
Multiattack. The aboleth makes three tentacle attacks.
Tentacle. Melee Weapon Attack: +x to hit, reach xx ft., one target. Hit: xx (xdx + x) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a creature....
Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +x to hit, reach xx ft. one target. Hit: xx (xdx + x) bludgeoning damage.
Enslave (3/Day). The aboleth targets one creature....
Whenever the charmed target takes damage,....
Legendary Actions. The aboleth can take 3 legendary actions, choosing ....
Detect. The aboleth makes a Wisdom (Perc...) check.
Tail Swipe. The aboleth makes one tail attack.
Psychic Drain (Costs 2 Actions). One creature charmed by the aboleth takes....
##;
#h;Aboleth
-Before the coming of the gods, aboleths lurked....
Aboleths have never forgotten.
<b><i>Eternal Memories.</i></b> Aboleths have flawless memories....
Aboleths' minds are treasure troves of ancient lore....
<b><i>Gods in the Lake.</i></b> Aboleths dwell in watery environments....
Aboleths use their telepathic powers to read the minds of creatures....
<b><i>Enemies of the Gods.</i></b> The aboleths' fall from powe....
Ultimately, aboleths dream....
#h;An Aboleth's Lair
Aboleths lair in subterranean lakes....
#bp;-LAIR ACTION(S)
When fighting inside its lair, an aboleth can...:
#ls;
#li;The aboleth casts ....
#li;Pools of water within 90 feet....
#li;Water in the aboleth's lair magically becomes....
#le;
#bp;-REGIONAL EFFECTS
The region containing an aboleth's lair is warped...:
#ls;
#li;Underground surfaces within 1 mile....
#li;Water sources within 1 mile of the lair....
#li;As an action, the aboleth can create an....
#le;
If the aboleth dies, the first two effects fade over the course of 3d10 days.

The Stats page section looks as follows (text blurred to protect my innocence):
And the Other tabs is as follows:

As you can see, I have removed the ---Legendary Actions and returned to the expected method. I did have to replace LAIR ACTIONS with LAIR ACTION(S), which appears on the Other tab.
I am a bit paranoid about copyright issues, so have removed most of the text which details the monster, but I hope I have left enough there so that you can analyze the structure of the npcs.txt file to make it work for you.

I am now working on the Behloder(s), which has some similar issues. I would like to see if I can link the random eyestalk attack table to the monster description....

wgdevanna
October 25th, 2014, 06:57
So I am able to link to the Random Beholder Eyestalk Attack Table from the Other tab in the Beholder's description. Works wonderfully.

Legendary Actions. The beholder can take 3 legendary actions.....
Eye Ray. The beholder uses one random eye ray.
##;
#h;Beholders
#zls;
#zl;table;Beholder Random Eyestalk Table
#zle;
One glance at a beholder is enough to assess .....
Which results in this:

I tried to link to it from the Main tab, but that didn't work (as I suspected).

Mistamichal
October 25th, 2014, 09:47
Great work, wgdevanna. Works perfectly.

Zeus
October 25th, 2014, 17:38
All, to ensure Lengendary Actions parse correctly add a fake header after the 'Legendary Actions' keyword and before the start of the descriptive text. e.g

Legendary Actions
Options. The beholder can take 3 legendary actions.....

By adding Options. (or anyword followed by a period) will trigger the parser to setup the descriptive text as fake action.

Zeus
October 25th, 2014, 17:40
And for reference #zl; links will only work from the Other tab. Front page of an NPC is not setup for formattedtext, hence why linking won't work.

yondar
October 25th, 2014, 19:39
Need some more help.

I am trying to link a jpg file in the story.txt as follows

#zls;
#zl;image;North_Sword_Coast_DM;Sword Coast DM;
#zle;

However when I go into the story part on FG I get the following message:-

Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (image;North_Sword_Coast_DM : image;North_Sword_Coast_DM.swordcoastdm@Lost Mine of Phandelver)

Any Ideas.

Thanks

Yondar

Kevlyn
October 26th, 2014, 01:17
The link needs to include the extension of the image. so it'd be like...

#zl;image;North_Sword_Coast_DM.png;Sword Coast DM

shemantis
October 26th, 2014, 17:02
Shemantis,

I added it as a table under the Draconic Ancestry trait, that seemed to work.

I was hoping to be able to find a way to make the attributes "useable," like being able to drag-and-drop the ancestry they chose into their character sheet and have it populate their attack with the appropriate breath weapon. Is that an insane dream, lol?
Either way, your way is definitely "cleaner" than mine, thank you!

ManakinRex
October 27th, 2014, 00:14
All, to ensure Lengendary Actions parse correctly add a fake header after the 'Legendary Actions' keyword and before the start of the descriptive text. e.g

Legendary Actions
Options. The beholder can take 3 legendary actions.....

By adding Options. (or anyword followed by a period) will trigger the parser to setup the descriptive text as fake action.

Thanks Zeus for confirming this. Thanks also wgdevanna for your additions to the 'Aboleth test'. I especially like the #h; additions. Very bold. :)

wgdevanna
October 27th, 2014, 00:51
Par5e is a great tool. Thanks Zeus. I have had pretty good luck with it and use it on my laptop as well as my desk without any trouble. If only it would automatically scan and OCR the books for me....:)

yondar
October 27th, 2014, 08:09
Tried that with .jpg and it didn't work, will it only use png do you know?

ShadeRaven
October 27th, 2014, 14:08
Running into a little problem with zlink for spells in my reference manual.

Here's the code that I am trying to convert:

##;Transmutation Spells

#h;Cantrips
#zls;
#zl;spell;Druidcraft
#zl;spell;Mending
#zl;spell;Message
#zl;spell;Prestidigitation
#zl;spell;Shillelagh (b)
#zl;spell;Thaumaturgy
#zl;spell;Thorn Whip
#zle;

#h;1st Level
Create or Destroy Water
Expeditious Retreat (C) (b)
Feather Fall
Goodberry
Jump
Longstrider
Purify Food and Drink (R)

The Regular Heading of 1st Level spells works fine, as it's just text listed out. However, for Cantrips, I am getting nothing. It's blank if I put in the zlink stuff. Obviously, without the zlink look-ups, I can list it out, but I am hoping to convert the schools of magic spell lists to having links to the spells themselves... but right now, that's to no avail.

Any suggestions? Anyone run into this and found a work around?

Thanks in advance!
SR

Kevlyn
October 27th, 2014, 23:04
Tried that with .jpg and it didn't work, will it only use png do you know?

Here's my image file:
calibars_tower-area2.png

And here's my link to it from within the story.txt file:
#zls;
#zl;encounter;Access Room Encounter
#zl;image;calibars_tower-area2.png;Area 2 - Calibar's Tower
#zle;

According to the PAR5E document it says JPG, but if it'll take your image from the images folder then it should be able to link to it.

Kevlyn
October 27th, 2014, 23:10
Running into a little problem with zlink for spells in my reference manual.

Here's the code that I am trying to convert:

##;Transmutation Spells

#h;Cantrips
#zls;
#zl;spell;Druidcraft
#zl;spell;Mending
#zl;spell;Message
#zl;spell;Prestidigitation
#zl;spell;Shillelagh (b)
#zl;spell;Thaumaturgy
#zl;spell;Thorn Whip
#zle;

#h;1st Level
Create or Destroy Water
Expeditious Retreat (C) (b)
Feather Fall
Goodberry
Jump
Longstrider
Purify Food and Drink (R)

The Regular Heading of 1st Level spells works fine, as it's just text listed out. However, for Cantrips, I am getting nothing. It's blank if I put in the zlink stuff. Obviously, without the zlink look-ups, I can list it out, but I am hoping to convert the schools of magic spell lists to having links to the spells themselves... but right now, that's to no avail.

Any suggestions? Anyone run into this and found a work around?

Thanks in advance!
SR

Because for Cantrips it's looking for: (if you're working in the spells.txt file)

Cantrips (0 Level)

Check the PAR5E DD5E guide for full description of what it is looking for while parsing the spells.txt file, but that should be the issue. If this is outside of the spells.txt file, then that's another issue altogether.

yondar
October 28th, 2014, 00:10
Ok thanks, despite what the PAR5E document says it only seems to work with .png files, I'll just convert then all.

Kevlyn
October 28th, 2014, 00:12
No problem. I keep all mine in .PNG anyway, so I didn't have that issue. Let us know if you need help with anything else.

ShadeRaven
October 28th, 2014, 23:49
Because for Cantrips it's looking for: (if you're working in the spells.txt file)

Cantrips (0 Level)

Check the PAR5E DD5E guide for full description of what it is looking for while parsing the spells.txt file, but that should be the issue. If this is outside of the spells.txt file, then that's another issue altogether.
Just to be clear, for zl entries, it looks like it's spell for cantrips, too. I looked again, when you said it was Cantrip, but I am afraid that doesn't seem to be the case for the zl; feature.

I have every spell in the spells.txt, and that works great. But having trouble accessing them from the referencemanual.txt file.

Xorn
October 30th, 2014, 01:21
For those who have tackled the 5E Monster Manual, how have you tackled things like Angels, Demons, Dragons, etc. when it comes to the Other tab.

For angels I just put the general angel text, plus the text specific to the angel type (deva, planetar, solar). But now I'm on Beholder, and going with the same method I'd be putting all the text for beholders in general, then for a beholder, then for a beholder lair and regional effects. The the death tyrant section is even bigger! I was also planning to put a link to an eye ray table in the description, so I'm seriously getting to a ridiculously long Other tab. How have other folks handled it?

Cause I'm thinking about demons/devils/dragons, and it's just going to get worse, really.

Kevlyn
October 30th, 2014, 01:24
I'm at the Beholder and I used the beholder information for the beholder, then I just used the death tyrant stuff for it. It looked like the death tyrant really replicated most of the beholder stuff.

spoofer
October 30th, 2014, 01:26
See image below. :)

spoofer
October 30th, 2014, 01:34
Argh. Looking at my own image, I see that the generic behold information is missing. My intention was to include all information in this order.

1. Table links to rollable tables
2. Monster specific information.
2. Lairs, etc.
3. Monster general / species information

You are right. It gets to be too large (see image below), and in hindsight, was probably a silly thing to do, considering I always read that stuff out of the actual book.

Here is an ancient dragon. Note that not even all of the text is shown -- it is cut off at the bottom.

Thegroo
October 30th, 2014, 03:19
I just wanted to thank you for this great tool.

ShadeRaven
October 30th, 2014, 04:29
Wondering if just a Reference Manual entry for some of the heavy text creatures isn't in order. Then maybe a link to the reference manual.

yondar
October 30th, 2014, 08:02
Thats what I did , ShadeRaven.

yondar
October 30th, 2014, 08:04
I see that DungeonScape is no more does this mean it might be worth talking to Wizards of the coast again?

Zeus
October 30th, 2014, 10:57
I see that DungeonScape is no more does this mean it might be worth talking to Wizards of the coast again?

Who said, we stopped talking to Wizards :) Patience my young Padawan. All good things take time to make come true, as well as come to those who wait ;) I will say no more ...

hawkwind
October 30th, 2014, 11:47
the dungeonscape beta wasn't great, DM Minion 5E looks better and is a nice combat manager you can run of your Tablet and this combat racker shows promise https://kira3696.tripod.com/

spoofer
October 30th, 2014, 14:59
So returning the thread back to PAR5E....

Has anyone been able to parse a token into the Monster Manual? The program terminates with "Write : copying module tokens ..... [Failed - WARNING]".

Xorn
October 30th, 2014, 16:27
Spoofer: Try closing out PAR5E, and deleting everything inside the Temp folder you're using, then re-parsing. I have the same issue from time to time. But yes, I've done through Beholders and have tokens for each of them.

Xorn
October 30th, 2014, 16:28
Wondering if just a Reference Manual entry for some of the heavy text creatures isn't in order. Then maybe a link to the reference manual.

Yeah, but that means I need to build the Reference Manual alongside all these monsters, and I'm lazy. :( I was just going to get all the NPC/tokens made, then go back and build the Reference Manual...

epithet
October 30th, 2014, 18:08
Who said, we stopped talking to Wizards :) Patience my young Padawan. All good things take time to make come true, as well as come to those who wait ;) I will say no more ...

I hope that means that I'm justified in putting off the daunting prospect of scanning, OCR processing, clean text prepping, and parsing all the 5e content, because an actual licensed product will become available.

Take my money, please.

spoofer
October 31st, 2014, 00:27
Spoofer: Try closing out PAR5E, and deleting everything inside the Temp folder you're using, then re-parsing. I have the same issue from time to time. But yes, I've done through Beholders and have tokens for each of them.

Oooohhh that worked!!! Thanks soo much.

Xorn
October 31st, 2014, 03:23
Okay folks, I'm getting frustrated here. Is there a reason that #zl;npc;<Whatever> isn't working in "referencemanual.txt"?

When I made my PHB I just did a list for the creatures (#zl;npclist;Creatures) in the appendix. I never actually tried to link to NPCs I guess (in a referencemanual.txt)

My basic structure is:

#@;D&D Monster Manual
#!;Introduction
##;Introduction
This bestiary is for storytelle...

##;How to Use This Book
The best thing a....

##;What Is a Monster
A monster is defi....
#h;Where Do Monsters Dwell?
If you are n.....
#bp;Dungeons
When most p...
#ls;
#li;A ruined ...
#li;A pharaoh’s...
#le;

#!;A
##;Aarakocra
Aarakocra range the Howling Gyre, an endless ...
On the Material Plane, aarakocra create a...
#bs;Search for the Seven Shards. The...
Five aarakocra within 30 feet of eac...
#zl;npc;Aarakocra

##;Aboleth

When I use #zl;npc;Aarakocra I get a blank NPC popout.
If I use #zl;referencenpc;Aboleth then I get: https://puu.sh/cx6wI/8c4495577c.jpg

The NPC is built; I can just go to NPCs and it's there. If I just make an NPC List is shows up fine, as well. I can even reference it from a story entry.

Hmmm. I parsed npcs.txt as campaign data and now #zl;npc;Aarakocra works. So I'm sure I need to use #zl;referencenpc;Aarakocra, but it's not seeing that. What am I doing wrong?

(I don't want to parse npc.txt as campaign data, because I'm making a library module.)

Xorn
October 31st, 2014, 17:33
Okay so I just got to Demons. There's no way all that text is going into the Other tab. Even if I skipped all the demon lord stuff, there' still a HUGE section. Do I just put what's immediately under the demons name? I realize that it's up to me, but this is seemingly entirely too cumbersome--what did everyone else do? For that matter, how many people are even doing this? :P

Griogre
October 31st, 2014, 18:25
Personally, I'm a minimalist. I usually use monster background, fluff, etc, when I build the encounter during prep or when I'm creating an adventure. When I actually run the monster I only want the combat stuff. I personally think doing a reference section that exactly duplicates what's in my Monster Manual already is unnecessary.

Irondrake
October 31st, 2014, 20:33
Agreed, get what you need to run the monster. There is way too much text for it all.

Xorn
October 31st, 2014, 20:52
Pre-PAR5E Xorn completely agrees with you! Post-PAR5E Xorn thinks it's so quick and easy now, that I don't mind adding in the description text. I'm just trying to decide HOW MUCH of that text I want to include... for angels, demons, devils, dragons, etc, I'm really struggling to decide. If I could get my referencemanual.txt links to work it would be less of a debate for me, but since that is messing up I'm not sure.

Maybe I should only include Lair/Regional stuff in the description and that's it.

Griogre
October 31st, 2014, 21:16
ONE Parse to RULE THEM ALL and IN the DA..... Oops. ;)

Isn't that reference link thing, because Zeus said there's currently no cross module support? If so then you could just include the module files for your Reference and MM into one module manually and the links should work.

Zeus
October 31st, 2014, 22:08
Pre-PAR5E Xorn completely agrees with you! Post-PAR5E Xorn thinks it's so quick and easy now, that I don't mind adding in the description text. I'm just trying to decide HOW MUCH of that text I want to include... for angels, demons, devils, dragons, etc, I'm really struggling to decide. If I could get my referencemanual.txt links to work it would be less of a debate for me, but since that is messing up I'm not sure.

Maybe I should only include Lair/Regional stuff in the description and that's it.

For the record, the MM I have produced for Smiteworks contains 100% of the rulebook content. Each monster has a full stat block, token and supporting image (where one was provided) as well as all the relevant descriptive text. Took me a few evenings to parse everything but that was with the official source PDF, it will probably take a little longer using the published PDFs with all the corrections that will need to be made.

As for zl links for referencenpc, I'll have a look this weekend. I think we consolidated the referencenpc and npc windowclasses in one of the last 5E updates which I need to also change in PAR5E and the 5E library its using.

Griogre - Yes your right, zl linking will only work for content in the same module. Cross module linking is not supported. However in this case if Xorn is exporting NPCs to the reference library and attempting to link to them individually from the same module's reference manual text, the correct link class to link with is referencenpc.

Xorn
October 31st, 2014, 23:51
For the record, the MM I have produced for Smiteworks contains 100% of the rulebook content. Each monster has a full stat block, token and supporting image (where one was provided) as well as all the relevant descriptive text. Took me a few evenings to parse everything but that was with the official source PDF, it will probably take a little longer using the published PDFs with all the corrections that will need to be made.

As for zl links for referencenpc, I'll have a look this weekend. I think we consolidated the referencenpc and npc windowclasses in one of the last 5E updates which I need to also change in PAR5E and the 5E library its using.

Griogre - Yes your right, zl linking will only work for content in the same module. Cross module linking is not supported. However in this case if Xorn is exporting NPCs to the reference library and attempting to link to them individually from the same module's reference manual text, the correct link class to link with is referencenpc.

You haven't seen my MM PDF Zeus... it's pretty stinkin' good. :P I spent a LOT of time getting the OCR software (we have ABBYY at work) trained up to read the stat blocks correctly!

Anyway, Zeus has the correct assumption. I'm making a single library module, and I'm parsing npc.txt, with a token for each one. So it's just an issue with #zl;referencenpc I'm assuming. Looking forward to that update.

So if I want to make my MM like yours Zeus, I'm just asking what is on your Other tabs. Do you put all the fluff text just in the reference doc and then link to the statblock, or do you have all the text on the Other tab, also?

shemantis
November 1st, 2014, 05:52
Is there a way to make the modules PAR5E creates *not* read-only? I created one with magic items, but I don't like the formatting, *and* I want to be able to add a link to an image (or two) in each magic item entry.
I can use PAR5E to create the Library module for the items, but if I ever want to change something in the entries, I can't.
In other Library modules I've created (exported from within FG), the items are editable.

Kevlyn
November 1st, 2014, 05:56
When using PAR5E, note the column that you are checking on the configuration. The ref column treats entries as a reference, not anything that is editable. The cmp column, treats the items as campaign material, which is editable. I haven't discovered a need for the 3rd column yet, so I'm not sure what it's all about.

Hope that helps!

shemantis
November 1st, 2014, 06:02
Ah, thank you. I'd been making (almost) everything a Reference item so as to not "lose" it between campaigns, but I see now I could just copy the module over to a new campaign, when I start one.
Thank you for your help!

Zeus
November 1st, 2014, 11:34
You haven't seen my MM PDF Zeus... it's pretty stinkin' good. :P I spent a LOT of time getting the OCR software (we have ABBYY at work) trained up to read the stat blocks correctly!

Anyway, Zeus has the correct assumption. I'm making a single library module, and I'm parsing npc.txt, with a token for each one. So it's just an issue with #zl;referencenpc I'm assuming. Looking forward to that update.

So if I want to make my MM like yours Zeus, I'm just asking what is on your Other tabs. Do you put all the fluff text just in the reference doc and then link to the statblock, or do you have all the text on the Other tab, also?

At the moment, all the fluff text is in each NPC's Other tab. I only have minimum intro text and links to the NPC lists in the reference manual. I personally find it more useful to have the information available in each NPC stat block - this way I can use PAR5E's Archive feature to store NPC data for later reference. When I produce adventure modules at a later date I don't have to worry about pertinent information being left behind in the MM reference manual.

Xorn
November 1st, 2014, 13:56
So far, I've been putting all the text into the Other tab as well; but then I got to demons... if I'm to include all the "generic" text under each demon stat block, that's 2½ pages of text...

D e m o n s
Spawned in the Infinite Layers o...
Spawn of Chaos. The Abys...
Capricious Elevation. De...
A demon might spaw...
By expending consider...
Abyssal Invasions. Whe...
Some of the darkest le...
Signs of Corruption. D...
Eternal Evil. Outside the...
Protected Essence. A p...
Obtaining a demonic ...
Demonic Cults. Desp...
Demon Summoning. F...
Those who would risk s...
Bound Demons. The B...
An object that binds a d...
Demonic Possession. No...
As long as the demon rem...
D e m o n L o r d s
The chaotic power of the ...
Reward for Outsiders. Althoug...
Power and Control. The greatest...
B a p h o m e t
The demon lord Baphomet, also...
The Prince of Beasts appears a...
D e m o g o r g o n
The Sibilant Beast and the self...
Demogorgon towers three times ...
G r a z ’z t
The demon lord Graz’zt appear...
Graz’zt is a striking physical sp...
J u i B L E X
The demon lord of slimes and ooz...
L o l t h
The Demon Queen of Spiders is the...
Lolth appears as a lithe, imperious ...
O r c u s
Known as the Demon Prince of Undeath...
The Demon Prince of Undeath is a foul an...
Orcus wields a malevolent artifact kn...
Y e e n o g h u
Known as the Gnoll Lord and the Be...
Yeenoghu appears as a huge, scarred...
O t h e r D e m o n L o r d s
No one knows the full number of dem...
D e m o n T y p e s
Demonologists organize the chaotic di...
D e m o n s b y T y p e
Type Examples
1 barlgura, shadow dem on, vrock
2 chasm e, hezrou
3 glabrezu, yochlol
4 nalfeshnee
5 m arilith
6 balor, goristro

Ba l o r __________
Figures of ancient and terrible evil, balors r...
Wielding a flaming whip and a longsword th...

That's the first line of each paragraph that would go on each demon's Other tab, then the little blurb for the actual demon. Do you have that much text on your Other tabs?

Zeus
November 1st, 2014, 14:17
Yes, you do end up with a lot of repetition for some of the npc's. I might look at adding in some inheritance capability so that npcs can inherit generic text from base npc types.

Xorn
November 1st, 2014, 14:25
This is my Balor's Other tab:

It feels... excessive. :P

Zeus
November 1st, 2014, 14:35
Have you tried linking from an NPC back to reference text sections? That should work. i.e. add some zl links in the NPC other tab back to base type information.

Xorn
November 1st, 2014, 23:47
So if I have ##;Demons in my referencemanual.txt would the link be:

#zl;referencetext;Demons

Or something else? And do I need to wait for the reference links to be fixed before that will work? I know that "referencenpc" isn't behaving as expected.

wgdevanna
November 2nd, 2014, 03:05
So if I have ##;Demons in my referencemanual.txt would the link be:

#zl;referencetext;Demons

Or something else? And do I need to wait for the reference links to be fixed before that will work? I know that "referencenpc" isn't behaving as expected.

I tried using this link technique. It doesn't show up on the Other tab when I create the link from the 'Dao' entry to the 'Genies' reference manual entry. Both the npcs and the reference manual are compiled into the same module.
I am not putting all the reference text into the Other tab as it gets cumbersome. I just put the section specific to the npc there, so for the Dao, I have this:

DAO
Large elemental, neutral evil
Armor Class 18....
Hit Points ###.....
Speed xx ft....
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA xx (+x) xx (+x) xx (+x) xx (+x) xx (+x) xx (+x)
Saving Throws....
Condition Immunities pe....
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 11
Languages Ter....
Challenge xx (#,#00 XP)
Earth Glide. The dao can burrow.....
Elemental Demise. If the dao dies,.....
Innate Spellcasting. The dao's innate spellcasting ability is ...... It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
Innate Spells (At will). detect..., detect..., stone...
Innate Spells (3/day each). pass...., move...., tongues
Innate Spells (1/day each). conjure...., gaseous...., invisibility, phant...., plane...., wall of....
Sure-Footed. The dao has advantage....prone
ACTIONS
Multiattack. The dao makes.....
Fist. Melee Weapon Attack: +xx to hit, reach x ft., one target. Hit: xx (xdy + t) bludgeoning damage.
Maul. Melee Weapon Attack: +xx to hit, reach x ft., one target. Hit: xx (xdy + t) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a Huge or smaller creature, it must succeed on a DC xx Strength check or be knocked prone.
##;
#h;Dao
<i>Genie - Large elemental, neutral evil</i>
#zls;
#zl;referencetext;Genies
#zle;
Dao are greedy, malicious genies from the Elemental Plane of Earth.....envy of other dao.
<b><i>All That Glitters.</i></b> The dao dwell in complexes....consume a precious spice.
<b><i>Lords of the Earth.</i></b> A dao never assists a mortal....floating earth islands.
<b><i>Proud Slavers.</i></b> The dao trade for the finest....cozen them into service.

I was hoping the zl;referencetext;Genies link would take me to that page with lots of additional text. I can't seem to get that or the referencenpc links to work.

I am simultaneously compiling the reference manual. I think I am ahead of Xorn :p

Xorn
November 2nd, 2014, 05:12
Yes, you are definitely ahead of me. :)

I've got the Introduction done in my referencemanual, but I stopped doing the monster descriptions after hitting Beholder and realizing "referencenpc" links weren't working.

I had all kinds of D&D prep for my tabletop session tomorrow today, and I'm using FG2 tomorrow for the combat tracker which I'm going to use with a projector on the wall. So excited.

After that, I'm actually thinking of updating the old tutorials for 5E, since the ruleset is starting to get it's legs under it. Redo the same 4 videos (without voices!) but totally ripping off the themes of PHB (player quickstart), DMG (running a game), MM (building adventures), and DM Screen (example of play).

And since I'm adamant about not using Library modules for the tutorials, that's got the MM parse on the back burner for me. :)

shemantis
November 2nd, 2014, 16:53
Yes, you are definitely ahead of me. :)

I've got the Introduction done in my referencemanual, but I stopped doing the monster descriptions after hitting Beholder and realizing "referencenpc" links weren't working.

I had all kinds of D&D prep for my tabletop session tomorrow today, and I'm using FG2 tomorrow for the combat tracker which I'm going to use with a projector on the wall. So excited.

After that, I'm actually thinking of updating the old tutorials for 5E, since the ruleset is starting to get it's legs under it. Redo the same 4 videos (without voices!) but totally ripping off the themes of PHB (player quickstart), DMG (running a game), MM (building adventures), and DM Screen (example of play).

And since I'm adamant about not using Library modules for the tutorials, that's got the MM parse on the back burner for me. :)

Ooh, ooh, I hope you do it! Your videos basically made PAR5E a "reality" for me.
If you do re-do the videos, one thing: The "fast-forward" music was REALLY loud in your other ones. Like three times as loud as your voice was, lol.
And I liked your voice instruction, if it matters.
But really, I'm sure anything you make will be useful.

Xorn
November 2nd, 2014, 23:47
Yeah, I didn't really take the time to level the volumes and stuff. I just grabbed some music that made me laugh and broke it up over the fast-forward sections. :P Someone on ReD&Dit the other day posted, "What do you get from FG2 that Roll20 can't do?"

I has to walk away, as the flame-war I started probably would have incinerated a state or two. So I'll be constructive, and make some videos to show of the latest ruleset in my favorite VTT. With luck, it will bring some more converts over.

When people ask me about Roll20, I tell them they have a good forum for finding players, though reddit/r/lfg blows that out of the water. Also it's fun to connect to Roll20, start some background music, then alt-tab back to FG for the game.

shemantis
November 3rd, 2014, 00:35
Yeah, I didn't really take the time to level the volumes and stuff. I just grabbed some music that made me laugh and broke it up over the fast-forward sections. :P Someone on ReD&Dit the other day posted, "What do you get from FG2 that Roll20 can't do?"

I has to walk away, as the flame-war I started probably would have incinerated a state or two. So I'll be constructive, and make some videos to show of the latest ruleset in my favorite VTT. With luck, it will bring some more converts over.

When people ask me about Roll20, I tell them they have a good forum for finding players, though reddit/r/lfg blows that out of the water. Also it's fun to connect to Roll20, start some background music, then alt-tab back to FG for the game.

Yeah I tried Roll20 before I found FG. Tried a couple other campaign-management tools, too.
But since I don't actually play games online, Roll20 was almost completely useless for me. FG does what it does....plus like a thousand other things.

damned
November 3rd, 2014, 02:35
Redo the same 4 videos (without voices!) but totally ripping off the themes of PHB (player quickstart), DMG (running a game), MM (building adventures), and DM Screen (example of play).

I think Voice helps a lot...

Xorn
November 3rd, 2014, 11:57
Look who's got jokes! I will not be using a voice modulator is what I meant. I'm actually in charge of the IVR at the call center I do IT for, and 1/4 of the greetings and menus are my voice now. So I've gotten over the sound of my voice. (Of course I will apply a noise removal filter, boosting bass/treble, and running my audio through a compressor, though!)

pauljmendoza
November 3rd, 2014, 18:08
What are the means of downloading Par5e, The link requires a username and password. I am looking to parse the txt files gained from the D&D Basic Rules PDF Parser.

Xorn
November 3rd, 2014, 18:11
You just register a free account. Then you can download the latest version of PAR5E

pauljmendoza
November 3rd, 2014, 18:12
Thank you! I am not a clever man.

yondar
November 8th, 2014, 00:16
Zeus, next time you look at updating PAR5E could you look at getting the ecounters section to use .png images rather than .jpg images.

Thanks

Yondar

Willot
November 9th, 2014, 10:30
Well I cant work it out.... Anyone know why this wont parse through parse? I got barbaian to parse but it wont parse this? (only Bard is shown)

##;Bard
Humming as she traces her fingers over an ancient monument in a long-forgotten ruin, a half-elf in rugged leathers finds knowledge springing into her mind, conjured forth by the magic of her song—knowledge of the people who constructed the monument and the mythic saga it depicts.
#h;Music and Magic
In the worlds of D&D, words and music are not just vibrations of air, but vocalizations with power all their own.
#h;Learning from Experience
True bards are not common in the world.
#h;Creating a Bard
Bards thrive on stories, whether those stories are true or not.
Quick Build
You can make a bard quickly by following these suggestions. .
#h;Spellcasting
You have learned to untangle and reshape the fabric of reality in harmony with your wishes and music. Your spells are part of your vast repertoire, magic that you can tune to different situations. See chapter 10 for the general rules of spellcasting and chapter 11 for the bard spell list.
#bp;Cantrips
You know two cantrips of your choice from the bard spell list. You learn additional bard cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the Bard table.
#h;The Bard
#ts;
#th;Level;Proficiency Bonus;Features;
#tr;1st;+2;Spellcasting,Bardic Inspiration(d6);
#tr;2nd;+2;jack of All TradesSong of Rest(d6);
#tr;3rd;+2;Bard College, Expertise;
#tr;4th;+2;Ability Score Improvement;
#tr;5th;+3;Bardic Inspiration (d8), Font of Inspiration;
#tr;6th;+3;Countercharm, Bard College feature;
#tr;7th;+3;—;
#tr;8th;+3;Ability Score Improvement;
#tr;9th;+4;Song of Rest (d8);
#tr;10th;+4;Bardic Inspiration (d10), Expertise, Magical Secrets;
#tr;11th;+4;—;
#tr;12th;+4;Ability Score Improvement;
#tr;13th;+5;Song of Rest (d10);
#tr;14th;+5;Magical Secrets, Bard College feature;
#tr;15th;+5;Bardic Inspiration (d12);
#tr;16th;+5;Ability Score Improvement;
#tr;17th;+6;Song of Rest (d12);
#tr;18th;+6;Magical Secrets;
#tr;19th;+6;Ability Score Improvement;
#tr;20th;+6;Superior Inspiration;
#te;
#h;— Spell Slots per Spell Level—;
#ts;
#th;Level;Cantrips;Known Spells Known;1st;2nd;3rd;4th;5th;6th;7th;8th;9th;
#tr;1st;2;4;2;—;—;—;—;—;—;—;—;
#tr;2nd;2;5;3;—;—;—;—;—;—;—;—;
#tr;3rd;2;6;4;2;—;—;—;—;—;—;—;
#tr;4th;3;7;4;3;—;—;—;—;—;—;—;
#tr;5th;3;8;4;3;2;—;—;—;—;—;—;
#tr;6th;3;9;4;3;3;—;—;—;—;—;—;
#tr;7th;3;10;4;3;3;1;—;—;—;—;—;
#tr;8th;3;11;4;3;3;2;—;—;—;—;—;
#tr;9th;3;12;4;3;3;3;1;—;—;—;—;
#tr;10th;4;14;4;3;3;3;2;—;—;—;—;
#tr;11th;4;15;4;3;3;3;2;1;—;—;—;
#tr;12th;4;15;4;3;3;3;2;1;—;—;—;
#tr;13th;4;16;4;3;3;3;2;1;1;—;—;
#tr;14th;4;18;4;3;3;3;2;1;1;—;—;
#tr;15th;4;19;4;3;3;3;2;1;1;1;—;
#tr;16th;4;19;4;3;3;3;2;1;1;1;—;
#tr;17th;4;20;4;3;3;3;2;1;1;1;1;
#tr;18th;4;22;4;3;3;3;3;1;1;1;1;
#tr;19th;4;22;4;3;3;3;3;2;1;1;1;
#tr;20th;4;22;4;3;3;3;3;2;2;1;1;
#te;
Class Features As a bard, you gain the following class features.
Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d8 per bard level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per bard level after 1st
Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor
Weapons: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
Tools: Three musical instruments of your choice
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Charisma Skills: Choose any three
Equipment You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
#ls;
#li;(a) a rapier, (b) a longsword, or (c) any simple weapon
#li;(a) a diplomat’s pack or (b) an entertainer's pack
#li;(a) a lute or (b) any other musical instrument
#li;Leather armor and a dagger
#le;
#h;Spell Slots The Bard table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher.
#h;Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher You know four 1st-level spells of your choice from the bard spell list. .
#h;Spellcasting Ability Charisma is your spellcasting ability for your bard spells. .
#h;Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier
#h;Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier
#h;Ritual Casting You can cast any bard spell you know as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag.
#h;Spellcasting Focus You can use a musical instrument (found in chapter 5) as a spellcasting focus for your bard spells.
#fe;Bardic Inspiration;1;5;10;15
You can inspire others through stirring words or music. .
#fe;Jack of All Trades;2
Starting at 2nd level, you can add half your proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn’t already include your proficiency bonus.
#fe;Song of Rest;2;9;13;17
Beginning at 2nd level, you can use soothing music or oration to help revitalize your wounded allies during a short rest. If you or any friendly creatures who can hear your performance regain hit points at the end of the short rest, each of those creatures regains an extra 1d6 hit points. The extra hit points increase when you reach certain levels in this class: to 1d8 at 9th level, to 1d10 at 13th level, and to 1d12 at 17th level.
#abh;Bard College;3;6;14
At 3rd level, you delve into the advanced techniques of a bard college of your choice: the College of Lore or the College of Valor, both detailed at the end of the class description. Your choice grants you features at 3rd level and again at 6th and 14th level.
#ab;College of Lore
Bards of the College of Lore know something about most things, collecting bits of knowledge from sources as diverse as scholarly tomes and peasant tales.
#abf;Bonus Proficiencies;3
When you join the College of Lore at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with three skills of your choice.
#abf;Cutting Words;3
Also at 3rd level, you learn how to use your wit to distract, confuse, and otherwise sap the confidence and competence of others.
#abf;Additional Magical Secrets
At 6th level, you learn two spells of your choice from any class. A spell you choose must be of a level you can cast, as shown on the Bard table, or a cantrip. The chosen spells count as bard spells for you but don’t count against the number of bard spells you know.
#abf;Peerless Skill Starting at 14th level, when you make an ability check, you can expend one use of Bardic Inspiration. Roll a Bardic Inspiration die and add the number rolled to your ability check. You can choose to do so after you roil the die for the ability check, but before the DM tells you whether you succeed or fail.
#ab;College of Valor
Bards of the College of Valor are daring skalds whose tales keep alive the memory of the great heroes of the past, and thereby inspire a new generation of heroes.
#abf;Bonus Proficiencies;3
When you join the College of Valor at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with medium armor, shields, and martial weapons.
#abf;Combat Inspiration;3
Also at 3rd level, you learn to inspire others in battle. A creature that has a Bardic Inspiration die from you can roll that die and add the number rolled to a weapon damage roll it just made. Alternatively, when an attack roll is made against the creature, it can use its reaction to roll the Bardic Inspiration die and add the number rolled to its AC against that attack, after seeing the roll but before knowing whether it hits or misses.
#abf;Extra Attack;6
Starting at 6th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
#abf;Battle Magic;14
At 14th level, you have mastered the art of weaving spellcasting and weapon use into a single harmonious act. When you use your action to cast a bard spell, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action.
#fe;Expertise;3;10
At 3rd level, choose two of your skill proficiencies. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of the chosen proficiencies. At 10th level, you can choose another two skill proficiencies to gain this benefit.
#fe;Ability Score Improvement;4;8;12;16;19
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
#fe;Font of Inspiration;5
Beginning when you reach 5th level, you regain all of your expended uses of Bardic Inspiration when you finish a short or long rest.
#fe;Counter charm;6
At 6th level, you gain the ability to use musical notes or words of power to disrupt mind-influencing effects. As an action, you can start a performance that lasts until the end of your next turn. During that time, you and any friendly creatures within 30 feet of you have advantage on saving throws against being frightened or charmed. A creature must be able to hear you to gain this benefit. The performance ends early if you are incapacitated or silenced or if you voluntarily end it (no action required).
#fe;Magical Secrets;10;14;18
By 10th level, you have plundered magical knowledge from a wide spectrum of disciplines. Choose two spells from any class, including this one. A spell you choose must be of a level you can cast, as shown on the Bard table, or a cantrip. The chosen spells count as bard spells for you and are included in the number in the Spells Known column of the Bard table. You learn two additional spells from any class at 14th level and again at 18th level.
#fe;Superior Inspiration;20
At 20th level, when you roll initiative and have no uses of Bardic Inspiration left, you regain one use.

Im obviously missing something. I cut out some of the descriptive text to fit it in

damned
November 9th, 2014, 10:34
you cant see it I dont think but I think the - between song and knowledge is bogus... try replacing it...

Willot
November 9th, 2014, 11:04
Nup... didnt work :(
ITS the DEVIL!
I can hardly wait until d&d makes it open lic!
The little green progress bar doesnt get very far? I dont know if that means its at the beginning somewhere

El Condoro
November 9th, 2014, 14:08
I think your order of things is not right. e.g. you have the colleges appearing before some features. Check that they are in the order found in the PHB. Also, with #fe; where they are given at levels use [feature];#,#,# not #;#;#. Peerless skill should have a line break after it. I think the order is the main issue, though.

Thegroo
November 9th, 2014, 15:15
Here is what i found so far.

- After Equipment there MUST be a newline
- features MUST be in this format: #fe;Bardic Inspiration;1,5,10,15
- #abf;Bonus Proficiencies;3 : Remove the 'space' at the end and also at ervery other #abf and #fe
- I also had to replace the '-' (was somthing like i pipe-sign)

After that i was able to parce it

PS: Change 'Hit Point' to 'Hit Points'

Willot
November 9th, 2014, 20:02
That got it thanks guys! Dont know how I missed all that. The order of things didnt seem to matter in the end. Altho I did have to change #abh; Bardic College;#,#,# to #fe; Bardic college; and make a new Heading for Bardic colleges

azj5001
November 10th, 2014, 00:11
I've managed to Par5e the PHB and now my next project is the MM. I'm on devils and have ran into a issue I just can't seem to troubleshoot myself. I'm sure it's easy to fix, but the problem is not jumping out to me after an hour of trying to figure this one out. When I parse the Barbed Devil everything works great. Then I added the Bearded Devil and for some reason "Hurl Flame" is the bolded first trait, bumping Devil's Sight to the text.

Barbed Devil
Medium fiend (devil), lawful evil
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 110 (13d8 +52)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA 16 (+3) 17 (+3) 18 (+4) 12 (+1) 14 (+2) 14 (+2)
Saving Throws Str +6, Con +7, Wis +5, Cha +5
Skills Deception +5, Insight +5, Perception +8
Damage Resistances cold, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from non magical weapons that aren't silvered
Damage Immunities fire, poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 18
Languages Infernal, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 5 (1,800 XP)
Barbed Hide. At the start of each of its turns, the barbed devil deals 5 (1d10) piercing damage to any creature grappling it.
Devil's Sight. Magical darkness doesn't impede the devil's darkvision.
Magic Resistance. The devil has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
ACTIONS
Multiattack. The devil makes three melee attacks: one with its tail and two with its claws. Alternatively, it can use Hurl Flame twice.
Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.
Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) piercing damage.
Hurl Flame. Ranged Spell Attack: +5 to hit, range 150 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (3d6) fire damage. If the target is a flammable object that isn't being worn or carried, it also catches fire.
##;

Bearded Devil
Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points 52 (8d8 + 16)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA 16 (+3) 15 (+2) 15 (+2) 9 (-1) 11 (+0) 11 (+0)
Saving Throws Str +5, Con +4, Wis +2
Damage Resistances cold, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from non magical weapons that aren't silvered
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 10
Challenge 3 (700 XP)
Magic Resistance. The devil has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
Steadfast. The devil can't be frightened while it can see an allied creature within 30 feet of it.
ACTIONS
Multiattack. The devil makes two attacks: one with its beard and one with its glaive.
Beard. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft ., one creature. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) piercing damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute. While poisoned in this way, the target can't regain hit points. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
Glaive. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d10 + 3) slashing damage. If the target is a creature other than an undead or a construct, it must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or lose 5 (1d10) hit points at the start of each of its turns due to an infernal wound. Each time the devil hits the wounded target with this attack, the damage dealt by the wound increases by 5 (1d10). Any creature can take an action to stanch the wound with a successful DC 12 Medicine check. The wound also closes if the target receives magical healing.

Thegroo
November 10th, 2014, 01:29
I've managed to Par5e the PHB and now my next project is the MM. I'm on devils and have ran into a issue I just can't seem to troubleshoot myself. I'm sure it's easy to fix, but the problem is not jumping out to me after an hour of trying to figure this one out. When I parse the Barbed Devil everything works great. Then I added the Bearded Devil and for some reason "Hurl Flame" is the bolded first trait, bumping Devil's Sight to the text.

Barbed Devil
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 110 (13d8 +52)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA 16 (+3) 17 (+3) 18 (+4) 12 (+1) 14 (+2) 14 (+2)
Saving Throws Str +6, Con +7, Wis +5, Cha +5
Skills Deception +5, Insight +5, Perception +8
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 18
Challenge 5 (1,800 XP)
Barbed Hide. At the start of each of its turns, the barbed devil deals 5 (1d10) piercing damage to any creature grappling it.
ACTIONS
Multiattack. The devil makes three melee attacks: one with its tail and two with its claws. Alternatively, it can use Hurl Flame twice.
Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.
Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) piercing damage.
Hurl Flame. Ranged Spell Attack: +5 to hit, range 150 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (3d6) fire damage. If the target is a flammable object that isn't being worn or carried, it also catches fire.
##;

Bearded Devil
Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points 52 (8d8 + 16)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA 16 (+3) 15 (+2) 15 (+2) 9 (-1) 11 (+0) 11 (+0)
Saving Throws Str +5, Con +4, Wis +2
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 10
Challenge 3 (700 XP)
Steadfast. The devil can't be frightened while it can see an allied creature within 30 feet of it.
ACTIONS
Multiattack. The devil makes two attacks: one with its beard and one with its glaive.
Beard. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft ., one creature. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) piercing damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute. While poisoned in this way, the target can't regain hit points. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
Glaive. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d10 + 3) slashing damage. If the target is a creature other than an undead or a construct, it must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or lose 5 (1d10) hit points at the start of each of its turns due to an infernal wound. Each time the devil hits the wounded target with this attack, the damage dealt by the wound increases by 5 (1d10). Any creature can take an action to stanch the wound with a successful DC 12 Medicine check. The wound also closes if the target receives magical healing.

I think you found a bug
If i change Devil's Sight to Devils Sight all works properly
If the ' (apostrophe? sorry for my english) is in any Trait or action, then the name gets replaced with the last action or trait name from the last creature.

azj5001
November 10th, 2014, 03:46
I think you found a bug
If i change Devil's Sight to Devils Sight all works properly
If the ' (apostrophe? sorry for my english) is in any Trait or action, then the name gets replaced with the last action or trait name from the last creature.

That did it. Thanks!

tahl_liadon
November 11th, 2014, 01:48
hey, folks, this is prob first question on this: is anyone using par5e mac edition? it doesn't work. it doesn't open for me.

i'm on yosemite if that makes any difference?

SpectreStatus
November 12th, 2014, 21:22
Hello!
I'm working on parsing my PHB and I'm having an issue. I entered in all the data for one class and it worked fine, but when I added a second class (barbarian) the parser stops when it gets to that class. I tried deleting lines up to the very beginning to try and isolate the problem and it still won't work, even if there is only a single paragraph under the barbarian class tag! I'm not sure what's going on. Can someone take a look at my attached code and help me figure out what is causing the program to behave like this?

SpectreStatus
November 12th, 2014, 21:24
Oh pssh, ignore. I figured it out.

James780
November 13th, 2014, 04:20
Having a hard time downloading Par5e from DrZ site. Is it down??? Guess I'll try tomorrow.

DrakosDJ
November 16th, 2014, 13:56
Ok, I'm new to using PAR5E and have hit my first problem.

I am using v0.0.8-b28.

First, for some reason when I run PAR5E Module ID configuration item is greyed out and I cannot enter anything in that field.

Second, I have created the feats.txt file and I have set my output path to the FGII module directory. When I hit the Parse button everything says it worked and the status bar shows "Ready" but when I look for the module it hasn't been created.

Info : engine build .................................................. ..................... [v0.0.8-b28]
Info : ruleset library .................................................. .......................... [5E]
Info : module .................................................. ....................... [D&D 5e Players]
Info : ruleset .................................................. .................................. [5E]
Info : folder structure .................................................. ............. [Already Exists]
Parse : feat .................................................. ............................. [Alert - OK]
Parse : feat .................................................. ............................. [Alert - OK]
Parse : feat .................................................. ........................... [Athlete - OK]
Parse : feat .................................................. ........................... [Athlete - OK]
Parse : feat .................................................. ..................... [Weapon Master - OK]
Parse : feat .................................................. ..................... [Weapon Master - OK]
Parse : feats .................................................. ............................. [Completed]
Make : feats windowlists .................................................. ................. [Completed]
Make : feats (reference) .................................................. ................. [Completed]
Make : module xml data .................................................. ................... [Completed]
Make : archive data .................................................. ...................... [Completed]

Xorn
November 16th, 2014, 14:11
It actually didn't complete. The last line should read Build Module.

Close PAR5E, navigate to your temp folder and empty it out, then create a new PAR5E profile (don't load your existing properties; rebuild them). If that parses cleanly, then resave the properties.

I can't tell you why that fixes things when I have this happen, but it does. I thought it had something to do with me transferring my PAR5E folders between my desktop and laptop, since my %USERAppData% folder is two different places.

spoofer
November 16th, 2014, 14:31
Incorrect format of the source file also causes the parser to stop in the middle. If Xorn's suggestion does not fix the problem, then go back and carefully check each line. Most likely you have a syntax error in your source file. If you cannot figure it out, then post the contents of the file here on the forums and ask for help. Someone will reply shortly, pointing out your mistake. It takes some effort to get t he hang of it, but once you do, you will know what to look for when it fails, and be able to spot your own mistakes.

Kevin

DrakosDJ
November 16th, 2014, 16:29
It actually didn't complete. The last line should read Build Module.

Close PAR5E, navigate to your temp folder and empty it out, then create a new PAR5E profile (don't load your existing properties; rebuild them). If that parses cleanly, then resave the properties.

I can't tell you why that fixes things when I have this happen, but it does. I thought it had something to do with me transferring my PAR5E folders between my desktop and laptop, since my %USERAppData% folder is two different places.

Thanks for the suggestion but it still isn't working. I'm not getting the "Build Module" your talked about. Could it have to do with the other issue I mentioned about not being able to enter the Module ID configuration item?

DrakosDJ
November 16th, 2014, 16:32
Incorrect format of the source file also causes the parser to stop in the middle. If Xorn's suggestion does not fix the problem, then go back and carefully check each line. Most likely you have a syntax error in your source file. If you cannot figure it out, then post the contents of the file here on the forums and ask for help. Someone will reply shortly, pointing out your mistake. It takes some effort to get t he hang of it, but once you do, you will know what to look for when it fails, and be able to spot your own mistakes.

Kevin

I've checked it over and still don's see anything wrong with the input file:

Griogre
November 16th, 2014, 18:21
The module ID is obsolete and just had to do with how some XML node names were built making them longer for no advantage. You can ignore it.

Mistamichal
November 16th, 2014, 20:35
Post your feats.txt file and we'll have a look.

Xorn
November 17th, 2014, 00:14
Since there is very little markup in feats.txt, if you're using Notepad++, you might search for "#" and click "Find All in Current Document". This will give you a summary listing of every line with a markup that you can quickly scan for missing ;s or other mistakes.

My most common mistake in Feats is forgetting to end a list (#le;)

DrakosDJ
November 17th, 2014, 04:35
Ok, here is my feats file

Mistamichal
November 17th, 2014, 04:56
Found it:

In Dual wielder you forgot to put #p; before "You master fighting with two weapons..."

DrakosDJ
November 18th, 2014, 03:44
Found it:

In Dual wielder you forgot to put #p; before "You master fighting with two weapons..."

Thank you for finding this. I corrected the missing #p and it still stops at the same spot. I still am not getting the "Build Module" in the output window and no module is output.

Mistamichal
November 18th, 2014, 03:50
Did you put in #p or #p;? If you put in #p; then there must be a problem somewhere else, because I parsed your file after putting in the #p; and it worked just fine.

DrakosDJ
November 18th, 2014, 04:21
Did you put in #p or #p;? If you put in #p; then there must be a problem somewhere else, because I parsed your file after putting in the #p; and it worked just fine.

I added #p;.

DrakosDJ
November 18th, 2014, 04:34
I finally got it to work. It apparently didn't like my module name of D&D 5e Players. I changed it to 5E Players and it finally created the module.

Thanks for the assistance everyone, I'm sure I'll have more issues eventually :).

Mistamichal
November 18th, 2014, 04:53
Ah! Excellent!

sturtus
November 18th, 2014, 22:59
My head hurts. My spells.txt file from the PHB looks so awesome but I keep getting [Mal Formed - WARNING] in the console when trying to parse. Everything else comes up OK. Anybody have some cycles to take a look at my file?

dberkompas
November 18th, 2014, 23:02
I've got the bandwidth to take a look.

Mistamichal
November 19th, 2014, 01:35
I'm happy to take a look, too.

Olodrin
November 19th, 2014, 01:42
Hey all,

My group and I are a running a few mock sessions, and the game ground to a halt when I realized all I had in the enemy NPC description was a list of spells, rather than links to spells. I figure I can use ZLINK in the Other tab to create links to spells, but I figured I'd ask to see what other are doing...

tahl_liadon
November 19th, 2014, 13:55
question about #abh; and subsequent flavor text following it (see code):

#abh;Druid Circles
Though their organization is invisible to most outsiders, druids are part of a society that spans the land,...
#ab;Circle of the Land
The Circle of the Land is made up of mystics and sages who safeguard ancient knowledge and rites...

i am not seeing the opening paragraph that follows "druid circle" feature — "through their organization..." — before the #ab; markup (see image)

what am i missing (besides that paragraph :-P)

Thegroo
November 19th, 2014, 18:11
question about #abh; and subsequent flavor text following it (see code):

#abh;Druid Circles
Though their organization is invisible to most outsiders, druids are part of a society that spans the land,...
#ab;Circle of the Land
The Circle of the Land is made up of mystics and sages who safeguard ancient knowledge and rites...

i am not seeing the opening paragraph that follows "druid circle" feature — "through their organization..." — before the #ab; markup (see image)

what am i missing (besides that paragraph :-P)

I don't think your missing anything.
The Description just gets lost.

I added the text to the #fe;Druid Circle

shemantis
November 21st, 2014, 20:42
Does anyone know why I might have duplicates of every token?
It appears that ANY module I make has the tokens associated with it, even if I don't have "tokens" checked in the PAR5E utility when making that module.
Thank you!

Emerald_wind
November 21st, 2014, 21:19
I've noticed that it will always parse the tokens if the tokens folder is in the input path. I had to remove it from the path in order to stop this.

shemantis
November 21st, 2014, 21:20
I've noticed that it will always parse the tokens if the tokens folder is in the input path. I had to remove it from the path in order to stop this.

Ah, okay, I will try this. Thank you for your help!

DrakosDJ
November 22nd, 2014, 04:12
I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I have a question.

I'm currently doing races and am up to the Human race. I can get everything to parse fine except the Alternate Human and it's traits. I currently have:

##;Human
#ip;These were the stories of a restless people who long ago took to the seas and rivers in longboats, first to pillage and terrorize, then to settle. Yet there was an energy, a love of adventure, that sang from every page. Long into the night Uriel read, lighting candle after precious candle.
#ip;She'd never given much thought to humans, but these stories fascinated her. In these yellowed pages were tales of bold heroes, strange and fierce animals, mighty primitive gods, and a magic that was part and fabric of that distant land.
—Elaine Cunningham, Daughter of the Drow
In the reckonings of most worlds, humans are the youngest of the common races, late to arrive on the world scene and short-lived in comparison to dwarves, elves, and dragons. Perhaps it is because of their shorter lives that they strive to achieve as much as they can in the years they are given. Or maybe they feel they have something to prove to the elder races, and that’s why they build their mighty empires on the foundation of conquest and trade. Whatever drives them, humans are the innovators, the achievers, and the pioneers of the worlds.
. Snipped due to size
#h;Human Traits
It’s hard to make generalizations about humans, but your human character has these traits.
#!;Ability Score Increase. Your ability scores each increase by 1.
#!;Age. Humans reach adulthood in their late teens and live less than a century.
#!;Alignment. Humans tend toward no particular alignment. The best and the worst are found among them.
#!;Size. Humans vary widely in height and build, from barely 5 feet to well over 6 feet tall. Regardless of your position in that range, your size is Medium.
#!;Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
#!;Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and one extra language of your choice. Humans typically learn the languages of other peoples they deal with, including obscure dialects. They are fond of sprinkling their speech with words borrowed from other tongues: Orc curses, Elvish musical expressions, Dwarvish military phrases, and so on.
#h;Variant Human Traits
If your campaign uses the optional feat rules from chapter 5, your Dungeon Master might allow these variant traits, all of which replace the human’s Ability Score Increase trait.
#!;Ability Score Increase. Two different ability scores of your choice increase by 1.
#!;Skills. You gain proficiency in one skill of your choice.
#!;Feat. You gain one feat of your choice.

The Alternate Human doesn't show up in the finished module.

Emerald_wind
November 22nd, 2014, 04:22
I had noticed that too, so I just set up a second 'Human' race using the variants. I don't know if anyone else got it to show any other way?

Edit:
I just had a 'moment' and instead of having two races, I just set it up as subraces. Of course with the alternate human, you have extra work to do, but hey, that's why you picked it right?

Valhingen
November 23rd, 2014, 13:26
I have been meaning to try out par5e too now, downloaded the program and all but..neither with the download, nor on that site do I seem to find the actual user guide people refer to? (I even googled it directly and it mostly points to this thread)

Ignore - got it.

Olodrin
November 23rd, 2014, 15:45
Hey all,

Trying to link spells into the Other tab of NPCs that have casting capabilities (angel, demons, etc) but I'm missing something.

Using the following code, I'm trying to add detect evil and good to the Other tab of the Deva.

##;
#h;At-will
#zls;
#zl;spellslist;detect evil and good;
#zle;

I have checked off the following boxes in the Par5e configuration
npcs.txt
spells.txt
tables.txt

After parsing, I see a link for detect evil and good in the Other tab of the Deva.

When I click on the link, I get the following message:

Script Error: [string "common/scripts/windowtitlebar.lua"]:18: attempt to index local 'nodeTitle' (a nil value)

Any thoughts on what I"m doing wrong?

Xorn
November 23rd, 2014, 16:02
Two things:
First, you don't need to use #zls; or #zle; anymore--just #zl; will parse the same.
Second, I'm pretty sure you just want to put #zl;spell;Detect Evil and Good
Of course this assumes you have the appropriate entry in Spells.txt, as well.

Olodrin
November 23rd, 2014, 16:27
Changing the code to

##;
#h;At-will
#zl;spell;Detect Evil and Good

The At-will header shows up, but now there is no link at all.

For the record, I am running Par5e v0.0.8-b28

Xorn
November 23rd, 2014, 18:07
I wonder if it still needs the zls zle in monster descriptions... try using them still but using "spell" in the zlink instead of spellslist

Olodrin
November 23rd, 2014, 20:18
The code below results in header text and no link

Code:

##;
#h;At-will
#zls;
#zl;spell;Detect Evil and Good
#zle;

Upon further testing, it looks like the parser is not recognizing spell as a valid class for entry. Perhaps I've been making a mistake there - I've copied the spells.txt file from my PHB into the input folder of my MM. Is that how other have been handling it?

Kelendros78
November 23rd, 2014, 23:11
Just curious, but is there a way you could make it so that when you parse the spells you get a better menu...by class is fine for players, but I would love to see a few options like monsters. like all spells Alphabeticly, Spells by level, spells by school and such that would make DM'ng that much eaiser.

shemantis
November 25th, 2014, 20:00
What rollable tables is everyone making?
I've got Beholder eye rays, the trinkets and all background stuff from the PHB, and the Wild Magic Surge table from the Sorceror class.
Trying to think whether there's anything else I should include, or that would be useful.

Olodrin
November 25th, 2014, 22:48
Prismatic Spray

shemantis
November 25th, 2014, 23:04
Ooh, nice one.

So, in doing my tables, I have come upon an issue that I just cannot get past. It's my Zombie Beholder Eye Rays table:
#!;Beholder Zombie Eye Rays
##;Beholder Zombie Eye Rays
The zombie uses a random magical eye ray, choosing a target that it can see within 60 feet of it:
column;Eye Ray
dice;d10
row;1;3;Paralyzing Ray: The targeted creature must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or be paralyzed for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
row;4;6;Fear Ray: The targeted creature must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
row;7;9;Enervation Ray: The targeted creature must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw, taking 36 (8d8) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
row;10;10;Disintegration Ray: If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 14 Dexterity saving throw or take 45 (10d8) force damage. If this damage reduces the creature to 0 hit points, its body becomes a pile of fine gray dust. If the target is a Large or smaller non magical object or creation of magical force, it is disintegrated without a saving throw. If the target is a Huge or larger non magical object or creation of magical force, this ray disintegrates a 10-foot cube of it.

It just keeps erroring, but I cannot tell why. I've tried changing the die type, changing the numbers, and double-checking my semi-colons, but there's obviously something I'm not catching...

On a similar note, how does one denote percentile dice in the "dice;d10" part of rollable tables?

Valhingen
November 26th, 2014, 18:24
My par5e stopped creating modules?

So I was trying to add spells and had a massive list prepared (all spells a-c for now). Went through all the errors until par5e compiled fully in green and blue without any errors.
In between I kept refreshing in FG to see if it works...until at one point it made no sense anymore - I kept changing drastic stuff to find an error but it wont change anything in FG upon refresh.

After some more trying I found out that par5e simply wont create a new module anymore - even when I change output path, it will complile nicely but no file is created (or overwritten before...hence my drastic changes stopped showing)

Any ideas what could be the problem?

EDIT:
I should make a rule for myself - only post a question if I cannot figure it out in 24 hrs :)
So I learned for one, that all green-blue in par5e isnt quite enough if it doesnt have the blue lines about building the module too. I would have expected some red line or somesuch.
The actual problem were my spells - in the Index I didnt expect that e.g. "4TH" is wrong and handled differently from "4th"

Griogre
November 26th, 2014, 19:12
The evil temp directory? Try deleting everything in it. If that doesn't work look in your module folder and make sure you don't have the same module with different names. And try rebooting. :p

epithet
November 26th, 2014, 19:24
I'm trying to create a class module to go along with the auto-parsed basic rules module, and I'm getting frustrated. I copied the text of the classes from the reference manual file and pasted it into its own txt file, then re-parsed it according to the PAR5E instructions. When I try to create a module, PAR5E gives me this:

Info : engine build .................................................. ..................... [v0.0.8-b28]
Info : ruleset library .................................................. .......................... [5E]
Info : module .................................................. ........................ [Basic Classes]
Info : ruleset .................................................. .................................. [5E]
Info : folder structure .................................................. ............. [Already Exists]
Parse : class .................................................. ....................... [##;Cleric - OK]
Parse : class .................................................. ...................... [##;Fighter - OK]
Parse : class .................................................. ........................ [##;Rogue - OK]
Parse : class .................................................. ....................... [##;Wizard - OK]
Parse : class .................................................. ............................. [Completed]
Make : class windowlists .................................................. ................. [Completed]

And that's it.

So, I captured some feedback, and this is the last bit from the capturefile.txt:

Parse Completed - ##;Wizard
->parsegenerateReferenceLists()
->generateClassIndexes()
Index: Found ##;Cleric, adding to #
Index: Found ##;Fighter, adding to #
Index: Found ##;Rogue, adding to #
Index: Found ##;Wizard, adding to #
->generateModuleXML()
->generateListTag()
->generateReferenceTag()
->generateClassXML()

Where's the hiccup? Do I need to stand on one foot and close one eye? Sacrifice a thumb drive to the powers of data?

Olodrin
November 26th, 2014, 22:50
Oh, not that it will come up much, but Reincarnate also has a rollable table.

Also, for percentile dice:

##;Reincarnate
#!;Reincarnate Table
Roll on the Reincarnate table to determine your new race.
dice;%
column;Race
row;01;04;Race1

shemantis
November 26th, 2014, 23:35
Oh, not that it will come up much, but Reincarnate also has a rollable table.

Also, for percentile dice:

##;Reincarnate
#!;Reincarnate Table
Roll on the Reincarnate table to determine your new race.
dice;%
column;Race
row;01;04;Race1

Oh that's *definitely* one I hadn't thought of. Thank you!

cas206
November 27th, 2014, 02:54
->generateListTag()
->generateReferenceTag()
->generateClassXML()

Newbie user here as well. I have seen that problem many many times over the past day or two. Each time it happened, I could always find a typo or error in the type setting. Errors have been missing ';' at end of table lines. Excess blank characters at the end of the line pas the ';' might also have been a problem. One error that I kept making was in the feat levels, either putting a ';' instead of ',' between numbers or ',' before the number list instead of ';'. Many of these errors were found by deleting everything and then slowly adding blocks of text back in until an error came back. I've just started to pay attention to the output produced by bumping the debug level up to 1 and 2. That my help you find the problem easier.

epithet
November 27th, 2014, 04:36
Newbie user here as well. I have seen that problem many many times over the past day or two. Each time it happened, I could always find a typo or error in the type setting. Errors have been missing ';' at end of table lines. Excess blank characters at the end of the line pas the ';' might also have been a problem. One error that I kept making was in the feat levels, either putting a ';' instead of ',' between numbers or ',' before the number list instead of ';'. Many of these errors were found by deleting everything and then slowly adding blocks of text back in until an error came back. I've just started to pay attention to the output produced by bumping the debug level up to 1 and 2. That my help you find the problem easier.

I have been over this again and again, and I can't find an error (at least according to the PAR5E documentation.) I think I've managed to attach the file as a zip (txt isn't allowed?) - all 4 classes seem to be messed up in some way, none of them will form a module even by themselves.

What am I missing here?

damned
November 27th, 2014, 04:52
Line 39 has a double space
You have a stack of <i> and </i> tags
get rid of those to start with

epithet
November 27th, 2014, 04:59
Line 39 has a double space
You have a stack of <i> and </i> tags
get rid of those to start with

Thanks for the suggestions. I got rid of the double space and all italics tags in the document.

Still no joy. I think it hates me.

edit: also cleared out the temp directory--saw someone suggest that for another problem. Didn't work.

edit 2: also replaced every semicolon-space in the body text with dash-dash (eg "problem; solution" became "problem--solution"). This also did not fix the problem.

cas206
November 27th, 2014, 05:13
Items with parenthetic parts did not actually parse with their parenthesis additions.
That didn't match the item entry, thus never got attached to the appropriate item.

This from message 387 is still a thing. However, it does match "Arrows (20);-;-" with "Arrows. Some description about arrows." I assume this was patched or something. I can understand the rational for ignoring parenthesis text so that they don't need to be removed during the text markup phase in order to match description items.

However, consider this a feature request: Keep current parsing logic but consider adding something like, "If a matching description item exists that exactly matches, then keep the field content as is." In other words, "Arrows (20);-;-" would still match with "Arrows. Yada." and output "Arrows", but "Arrows (20);-;-" would alternately match "Arrows (20). Yada", and output "Arrows (20)". Currently, if you do that latter, it fails to match entries.

cas206
November 27th, 2014, 05:20
When I opened your file in Vim editor, the apostrophe character in your contractions (can't) is showing up as hex 0x92 which isn't ASCII text. I think that is part of your problem. Try the open in notepad and save that has been suggested in some other posts.

cas206
November 27th, 2014, 06:27
The double sequence of "##;##;" is not correct. I know that it shows up in an example, but it doesn't work. Just use a single "##;Class Name".

When you split the features table for the Wizard, you left out a "#ts;" for the second table. I also saw a few other non-ASCII characters in there that I removed.

epithet
November 27th, 2014, 07:02
When I opened your file in Vim editor, the apostrophe character in your contractions (can't) is showing up as hex 0x92 which isn't ASCII text. I think that is part of your problem. Try the open in notepad and save that has been suggested in some other posts.

I don't really understand that, but I tried it. Opened class.txt with notepad, "saved as" ANSI txt over the original file. No change. Still gets to
Parse : class .................................................. ....................... [##;Wizard - OK]
Parse : class .................................................. ............................. [Completed]
Make : class windowlists .................................................. ................. [Completed]
and stops.

Edit: You are the man. I kept messing with it and saved it as unicode txt, and PAR5E spat out a module.

Thanks everyone who made suggestions, and cas206 especially.

Edit 2: But the module is blank. PAR5E considered the unicode document to be empty, so it spat out an empty module. Saved as ANSI again, and we're back to the same. This is eroding what's left of my sanity.

Attached is the most recent version.

Edit 3: I figured it out. The example in the PAR5E doc has the ##; tag twice, so that's how I had been doing it. Changing it to only once cause a module to be generated. I'm glad that's done... it's way past my bedtime.

cas206
November 27th, 2014, 15:48
The double sequence of "##;##;" is not correct. I know that it shows up in an example, but it doesn't work. Just use a single "##;Class Name".

When you split the features table for the Wizard, you left out a "#ts;" for the second table.

Glad you got it to work. Here are my final observations. I needed to make three changes to make your originally posted class.zip file parse. The two mentioned above were needed on both the Windows side and Linux side (Ubuntu 14.04).

The third change was the 0x92, 0x93, 0x94, and 0x96 characters that I saw in your file. These did not need to be changed on the Windows side (sorry for the misdirection). However, all or a subset of these caused the Linux side parse to fail. Only after removing all these did the Linux parse complete. I didn't investigate, or plan to investigate, if any particular one was the culprit.

Olodrin
November 28th, 2014, 19:47
in reference to an erlier post about rollable tables: the Euphoria breath power of the faerie dragon could also use a rollable table

DrakosDJ
November 29th, 2014, 04:19
This tool is great but man it is taking me forever, I don't think I'll ever catch up. I just now finished classes from the PHB and I picked up the DM's guide today.

I hope that they work something out with WotC soon....

Olodrin
November 30th, 2014, 19:41
Gibbering Mouther is another critter that could use a rollable table.

tahl_liadon
November 30th, 2014, 19:59
not sure if i am understanding the rollable table request correctly, but if i am, here is a solution:

eg:
sorcerer's wild magic surge

in the sorcerer class section

#abf;Wild Magic Surge;1
Starting when you choose...
#zls;
#zl;table;Wild Magic Surge
#zle;
#abf;Tides of Chaos;1
Starting at 1st level, ...

in the tables.txt file

##;Wild Magic Surge
#!;Wild Magic Surge
dice;%
column;Wild Magic Surge
row;1;2;Roll on this table...
[snip]
row;99;100;You regain all...

the rollable table can now be accessed both from the sorcerer's class or from the tables index window

notice i made other rollable tables. it can be quite flexible once tables are made and linked using the #zls; markup.

hope this helps.

DrakosDJ
December 2nd, 2014, 04:39
Hello all, I'm back with another issue.

I'm up to doing the spells and am having a problem. I enter the spells and when I parse it says everything worked find and module is built, but when I look at the spell lists in FGII it shows all the spells listed as "Level-1 Spells" no mater what level they are listed under in the spells.txt..

#@;
Bard Spells
Cantrips (0 Level)
Blade Ward
Dancing Lights
Friends
Light
Mage Hand
Mending
Prestidigitation
True Strike
Vicious Mockery
1st Level
Animal Friendship
Bane
Charm Person
Comprehend Languages
Cure Wounds
Detect Magic
Disguise Self
Dissonant Whispers
Faerie Fire
Feather Fall
Healing Word
Heroism
Identify
Illusory Script
Longstrider
Silent Image
Sleep
Speak with Animals
Tasha’s Hideous Laughter
Thunderwave
Unseen Servant
2nd Level
Animal Messenger
Blindness/Deafness
Calm Emotions
Cloud of Daggers
Crown of Madness
Detect Thoughts
Enhance Ability
Enthrall
Heat Metal
Hold Person
Invisibility
Knock
Lesser Restoration
Locate Animals or Plants
Locate Object
Magic Mouth
Phantasmal Force
See Invisibility
Shatter
Silence
Suggestion
Zone of Truth
3rd Level
Bestow Curse
Clairvoyance
Dispel Magic
Fear
Feign Death
Glyph of Warding
Hypnotic Pattern
Leomund’s Tiny Hut
Major Image
Nondetection
Plant Growth
Sending
Speak with Dead
Speak with Plants
Stinking Cloud
Tongues
4th Level
Compulsion
Confusion
Dimension Door
Freedom of Movement
Greater Invisibility
Hallucinatory Terrain
Locate Creature
Polymorph
5th Level
Animate Objects
Awaken
Dominate Person
Dream
Geas
Greater Restoration
Hold Monster
Legend Lore
Mass Cure Wounds
Mislead
Modify Memory
Planar Binding
Raise Dead
Scrying
Seeming
Teleportation Circle
6th Level
Eyebite
Find the Path
Guards and Wards
Mass Suggestion
Otto’s Irresistible Dance
Programmed Illusion
True Seeing
7th Level
Etherealness
Forcecage
Mirage Arcane
Mordenkainen’s
Magnificent Mansion
Mordenkainen’s Sword
Project Image
Regenerate
Resurrection
Symbol
Teleport
8th Level
Dominate Monster
Feeblemind
Glibness
Mind Blank
Power Word Stun
9th Level
Foresight
Power Word Heal
Power Word Kill
True Polymorph

yondar
December 2nd, 2014, 13:06
Have you put the spell descriptions in yet?

They will only show up under levels once you put the decription in and the names match.

Yondar

epithet
December 3rd, 2014, 22:08
I have the classes marked up with sub-classes designated with ability #ab tags, under the ability header #abh entry, and with the class feat #fe that points to it and the ability feats #abf all tagged with the levels. As far as I can tell, that's how it is supposed to work. When I use the module thereby created, I never get a checkbox asking for a sub-class selection. For example, when I drag and drop Sorcerer onto the sheet, it asks me to pick skills but never asks me to pick a bloodline. It is pretty easy to click on the bloodline and drag the right one onto features, but I thought it was set up to prompt for it.

Am I missing something?

DrakosDJ
December 4th, 2014, 03:30
Have you put the spell descriptions in yet?

They will only show up under levels once you put the decription in and the names match.

Yondar

Yup, that did the trick. I started entering the descriptions and things are shaping up well.

DrakosDJ
December 4th, 2014, 03:33
I have the classes marked up with sub-classes designated with ability #ab tags, under the ability header #abh entry, and with the class feat #fe that points to it and the ability feats #abf all tagged with the levels. As far as I can tell, that's how it is supposed to work. When I use the module thereby created, I never get a checkbox asking for a sub-class selection. For example, when I drag and drop Sorcerer onto the sheet, it asks me to pick skills but never asks me to pick a bloodline. It is pretty easy to click on the bloodline and drag the right one onto features, but I thought it was set up to prompt for it.

Am I missing something?

Mine never prompts for the class archtype stuff either. The only pop-up I get is asking for skills.

GunnarGreybeard
December 4th, 2014, 04:39
Playing around with the Par5e Tool and can't get the NPC's to parse. I was doing some custom monsters and getting errors. So I cleared my npcs.txt file and used the template sample in the Par5e Guide to see if it was just me inputing something wrong. But even using the sample data I get the same errors. It keeps referencing 'npc' and 'npcs' and gives the following type of warning.

Parse : npc .................................................. ...................... [COMMONER - WARNING]
Parse : npc .................................................. ....................... [CULTIST - WARNING]
Parse : npcs .................................................. .............................. [Completed]

Any ideas?

OneSidedDie
December 5th, 2014, 03:35
My commoner looks like this:

Commoner
Medium humanoid (any race), any alignment
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 4 (1d8)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0)
Senses passive Perception 10
Languages any one language (usually Common)
Challenge 0 (10 XP)
ACTIONS
Club. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 2 (1d4) bludgeoning damage.

Xorn
December 5th, 2014, 10:37
That code parsed fine for me. Make sure you don't have non-standard characters in your text that were stripped out by the forums. (Tabs between the attributes is common.)

GunnarGreybeard
December 5th, 2014, 17:52
My commoner looks like this:

That code parsed fine for me. Make sure you don't have non-standard characters in your text that were stripped out by the forums. (Tabs between the attributes is common.)
Must have been malformed somewhere. Copied OneSidedDie's code and it went right through.

OneSidedDie
December 5th, 2014, 21:53
I use notepad++ with all characters shown so its easy to spot problems on copy/paste. Otherwise it could be some small thing. Post your cutist and I can play spot the error.

No1Sciguy
December 9th, 2014, 17:51
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but how does one parse things like magic swords and armor correctly when building an adventure? I can see how to a common sword, and I can see how to do things like potions, etc. but not sure if you can parse something like a longsword +2.

bodhiwolff
December 10th, 2014, 21:59
I'm taking another stab at PAR5E. I can't seem to get autohotkey to work (at all, actually) in order to make the removal of line-breaks, etc., a viable possibility instead of an impossible labour.

Can anybody walk me through how to set up autohotkey properly, just enough to start on PAR5E? Or point me in the right direction?

wgdevanna
December 10th, 2014, 22:23
I gave up on AutoHotKey for parsing. I found that Ctrl+J works well to remove the linebreaks. I use Notepad++. I actually created a notepad++ language to make it easier to read the text. Here is an example:

bodhiwolff
December 10th, 2014, 22:30
Where/when do you use Ctrl+J? What does it do? I tried using it in Word and it doesn't seem to do much.

El Condoro
December 10th, 2014, 22:59
In Word, Ctrl-J justifies the paragraph, so that text is stretched to fit the width of the paragraph.

wgdevanna
December 10th, 2014, 23:24
After selecting a block of text I want extra linebreaks removed from, I press ctrl+j. I never used Word, just Notepad++.

bodhiwolff
December 11th, 2014, 00:54
Got it. Thanks!

DrakosDJ
December 11th, 2014, 03:54
I'm taking another stab at PAR5E. I can't seem to get autohotkey to work (at all, actually) in order to make the removal of line-breaks, etc., a viable possibility instead of an impossible labour.

Can anybody walk me through how to set up autohotkey properly, just enough to start on PAR5E? Or point me in the right direction?

Me, I just did it the old fashion way; manually. It really wasn't to bad, at least not so far. I've done the Races, Classes, Backgrounds, Spells, Feats and Skills. I have also partially done equipment (Armor and Weapons done so far).

spoofer
December 11th, 2014, 05:26
Perhaps you could be a bit more specific about the problem you are having. Is the program, or your script? For reference, here is my script file.

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.
#SingleInstance Force
#EscapeChar \

+F1:: ;replace line return with a space, and then move cursor to next line
clipboard =
Send ^c
ClipWait
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, \r\n, %A_SPACE%, All
Send ^v
Send {Home}
Send {Down}
return

+F2:: ;replace spaces with semicolons
clipboard =
Send ^c
ClipWait
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, %A_SPACE%,;, All
Send ^v
return

^F2:: ;remove spaces
clipboard =
Send ^c
ClipWait
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, %A_SPACE%, , All
Send ^v
Send {Left}
return

+F3:: ;remove all spaces, return to the front of the line, and add #abf; to the front and ; to the end
clipboard =
Send ^c
ClipWait
Send {#}
Send {a}
Send {b}
Send {f}
Send {;}
Send ^v
Send {End}
Send {;}
Send {Home}
Send {Down}
return

^F3:: ;remove all spaces, return to the front of the line, and add #fe; to the front and ; to the end
clipboard =
Send ^c
ClipWait
Send {#}
Send {f}
Send {e}
Send {;}
Send ^v
Send {End}
Send {;}
Send {Home}
Send {Down}
return

+F4:: ;remove all spaces, return to the front of the line, and add ##; to the front, Return
clipboard =
Send ^c
ClipWait
Send {Return}
Send {#}
Send {#}
Send {;}
Send ^v
Send {Home}
return

^F4:: ;remove all spaces, return to the front of the line, and add bp; to the front, Return
clipboard =
Send ^c
ClipWait
Send {Return}
Send {b}
Send {p}
Send {;}
Send ^v
Send {Home}
return

+F5:: ;search the current document for and fix the following common errors: o f, ’, “
clipboard =
Send ^a
Send ^c
ClipWait
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, o%A_SPACE%f, of, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, w%A_SPACE%ere, were, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, “, ", All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, ”, ", All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, ’, ', All
Send ^v
return

+F6:: ;creates a table row with the #tr; tag
Send {#}
Send {t}
Send {r}
Send {;}
Send {End}
Send {;}
Send {Home}
Send {Down}
return

^F6:: ;creates a list entry
Send {#}
Send {l}
Send {i}
Send {;}
Send {Home}
Send {Down}
return

+F7:: ;add bold text tags
clipboard =
Send ^c
ClipWait
Send {<}
Send {b}
Send {>}
Send ^v
Send {<}
Send {/}
Send {b}
Send {>}
Send {Home}
return

+F8:: ;add italic text tags
clipboard =
Send ^c
ClipWait
Send {<}
Send {i}
Send {>}
Send ^v
Send {<}
Send {/}
Send {i}
Send {>}
Send {Home}
return

+F9:: ;creates a table row with the row; tag
Send {r}
Send {o}
Send {w}
Send {;}
Send {Home}
Send {Down}
return

+F10:: ;replace gp+space with gp+semicolon
clipboard =
Send ^c
ClipWait
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, gp%A_SPACE%, gp;, All
Send ^v
return

damned
December 11th, 2014, 07:08
Where/when do you use Ctrl+J? What does it do? I tried using it in Word and it doesn't seem to do much.

when using a tool like Par5e you are wanting to get rid of extraneous characters - you are wanting to strip it right back so that the text you are parsing is in exactly the right format. a program like Word is not going to do that generally. it will add lots of its own formatting etc in. typically people are using notepadd++, notepad2 or some other TEXT editor.

you might have to go back and read a few more pages of the thread to catch yourself up. it is a complicated process to get started but if you really want the books in FG then this is the tool for you. it is worth pointing out that Valeros tool to import the free Basic PDF is much simpler and will give you a good amount of initial data to work with if the Par5e process is too complicated/involved/time-consuming for you.

wgdevanna
December 11th, 2014, 11:54
How are we supposed to handle traps generated using the traps.txt input file and Par5e? The Par5e reference document has a section on setting up the input file (traps.txt) but no ref or cmp checkbox. I can enter an encounter (Encounters.txt) with the trap name and the encounter item is generated, but I am not sure where the Detect/Effect/Countermeasures are populated into FG. What am I missing?

Dr0W
December 12th, 2014, 15:34
Is there a better way to parse races that have two different Ability Score Increases? For example Dragonborn has: #!;Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2. And your Charisma score increases by 1.
But when I add it to a player character it only increases the character Strength by two and doesn't do anything to Charisma.
Not really a big deal as you can change it manually but I wonder if there's a better way (that is not creating a single subrace just for the ability score increase)

Emerald_wind
December 14th, 2014, 18:51
Once again, I'd like to say, thank you so much for all your hard work on this parser, it has saved so much time and labour in getting the information into Fantasy Grounds to use.

One quick thing, while entering magic items, I have found that it doesn't seem to recognize Rod as a magic item type - it won't even take Wand (rod), Wondrous item (rod) or anything I can think of with rod involved. (I changed it to Wand for now so I can get the item in, but was wondering if I am missing something, if anyone else has had this trouble...)

bodhiwolff
December 17th, 2014, 03:12
Can anybody spot why my version of 'Contagion' wouldn't parse?

Contagion
5th-level necromancy
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Component: V, S
Duration: 7 days
Your touch inflicts disease. Make a melee spell attack against a creature within your reach. On a hit, you afflict the creature with a disease o f your choice from any of the ones described below.
At the end of each o f the target’s turns, it must make a Constitution saving throw. After failing three of these saving throws, the disease’s effects last for the duration, and the creature stops making these saves. After succeeding on three o f these saving throws, the creature recovers from the disease, and the spell ends.
Since this spell induces a natural disease in its target, any effect that removes a disease or otherwise ameliorates a disease’s effects apply to it.
Blinding Sickness. Pain grips the creature’s mind, and its eyes turn milky white. The creature has disadvantage on Wisdom checks and W isdom saving throws and is blinded.
Filth Fever. A raging fever sweeps through the creature’s body. The creature has disadvantage on Strength checks, Strength saving throws, and attack rolls that use Strength.
Flesh Rot. The creature’s flesh decays. The creature has disadvantage on Charisma checks and vulnerability to all damage.
Mindfire. The creature’s mind becomes feverish. The creature has disadvantage on Intelligence checks and Intelligence saving throws, and the creature behaves as if under the effects o f the confusion spell during combat.
Seizure. The creature is overcome with shaking. The creature has disadvantage on Dexterity checks, Dexterity saving throws, and attack rolls that use Dexterity.
Slimy Doom. The creature begins to bleed uncontrollably. The creature has disadvantage on Constitution checks and Constitution saving throws. In addition, whenever the creature takes damage, it is stunned until the end o f its next turn.

DrakosDJ
December 17th, 2014, 03:41
There should be an 's' at the end of the word Component. I had the same issue when I parced it. It took me a while to notice it but when I added the 's' it parced fine.

Components: V, S

bodhiwolff
December 17th, 2014, 09:34
Thanks. That cleared it up. I found all the other sneaky little errors that were hiding. My spells are done.

bodhiwolff
December 17th, 2014, 20:59
Working on Monsters from the Monster Manual. Finding that they do not simply cut-and-paste in very well, and require a lot of fixing (the stat-block gets extremely jumbled). Trying my best to put it in the right format, but having to do a lot of it manually.

Got the Aaracroka to work, but not the second one, the Aboleth. Can anybody spot what I've got wrong?

ABOLETH
Large aberration, lawful evil
Armor Class 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points 135 (18d10 + 36)
Speed 10ft. , swim 40ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
21 (+2) 9 (-1) 15 (+2) 18 (+4) 15 (+2) 18 (+4)
Saving Throws Con +6, lnt +8, Wis +6
Skills History +12, Perception +10
Senses darkvision 120 ft ., passive Perception 20
Languages Deep Speech, telepathy 120ft.
Challenge 10 (5 ,900 XP)
Amphibious. The aboleth can breathe air and water.
Mucous Cloud. While underwater, the aboleth is surrounded by transformative mucus. A creature that touches the aboleth or that hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw. On a failure, the creature is diseased for 1d4 hours. The diseased creature can breathe only underwater.
Probing Telepathy. If a creature communicates telepathically with the aboleth, the aboleth learns the creature's greatest desires if the aboleth can see the creature.
ACTIONS
Multiattack. The aboleth makes three tentacle attacks.
Tentacle. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 12 (2d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or become diseased. The disease has no effect for 1 minute and can be removed by any magic that cures disease. After 1 minute, the diseased creature's skin becomes translucent and slimy, the creature can't regain hit points unless it is underwater, and the disease can be removed only by heal or another disease-curing spell of 6th level or higher. When the creature is outside a body of water, it takes 6 (1d12) acid damage every 10 minutes unless moisture is applied to the skin before 10 minutes have passed.
Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 10ft. one target. Hit: 15 (3d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage.
Enslave (3/Day). The aboleth targets one creature it can see within 30 feet of it. The target must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or be magically charmed by the aboleth until the aboleth dies or until it is on a different plane of existence from the target. The charmed target is under the aboleth's control and can't take reactions, and the aboleth and the target can communicate telepathically with each other over any distance.
Whenever the charmed target takes damage, the target can repeat the saving throw. On a success, the effect ends. No more than once every 24 hours, the target can also repeat the saving throw when it is at least 1 mile away from the aboleth.
LEGENDARY ACTIONS
The aboleth can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a tim e and only at the end of another creature's tu rn . The aboleth regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
Detect. The aboleth makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.
Tail Swipe. The aboleth makes one tail attack.
Psychic Drain (Costs 2 Actions). One creature charmed by the aboleth takes 10 (3d6) psychic damage, and the aboleth regains hit points equal to the damage the creature takes.

El Condoro
December 17th, 2014, 21:32
Put a gap between ##ft. so instead of 30ft. make it 30 ft.

bodhiwolff
December 17th, 2014, 21:45
Thanks for that, but unfortunately it still didn't parse

El Condoro
December 17th, 2014, 21:56
It parsed for me when I:
- put a space between ## and ft. as per above
- took out the space in the XP number (5, 900) to (5,900)

No1Sciguy
December 17th, 2014, 22:39
When you can't find it, it's almost always a space. ��

bodhiwolff
December 17th, 2014, 22:44
that worked. Perhaps I'm just not cut out to do my Monster Manual. Sheesh! So much extra formatting and re-working required!

El Condoro
December 18th, 2014, 03:52
Nah, keep going. Once you've done a few you work out where the common problems lie and can fix them easily. I only do the monsters I need, rather than try to do them all, which has saved a bit of my remaining sanity!

sturtus
December 18th, 2014, 22:42
I'm trying to format my monk entry in the PHB, but for some reason all of my Way Of The Four Elements features are going into a single entry. How can I make individual features for each of those Monastic Traditions feature powers?

#ab;Way Of The Four Elements
You follow a monastic tradition that teaches you to harness the elements. When you focus your ki, you can align yourself with the forces of creation and bend the four elements to your will, using them as an extension of your body. Some members of this tradition dedicate themselves to a single element, but others weave the elements together.
Many monks of this tradition tattoo their bodies with representations of their ki powers, commonly imagined as coiling dragons, but also as phoenixes, fish, plants, mountains, and cresting waves.
#abf;Disciple Of The Elements;3,6,11,17
When you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you learn magical disciplines that harness the power of the four elements. A discipline requires you to spend ki points each time you use it.
You know the Elemental Attunement discipline and one other elemental discipline of your choice, which are detailed in the "Elemental Disciplines" section below. You learn one additional elemental discipline of your choice at 6th, 11th, and 17th level.
Whenever you learn a new elemental discipline, you can also replace one elemental discipline that you already know with a different discipline.
#bs;Casting Elemental Spells. Some elemental disciplines allow you to cast spells. See chapter 10 for the general rules of spellcasting. To cast one of these spells, you use its casting time and other rules, but you don't need to provide material components for it.
Once you reach 5th level in this class, you can spend additional ki points to increase the level of an elemental discipline spell that you cast, provided that the spell has an enhanced effect at a higher level, as burning hands does. The spell's level increases by 1 for each additional ki point you spend. For example, if you are a 5th-level monk and use Sweeping Cinder Strike to cast burning hands, you can spend 3 ki points to cast it as a 2nd-level spell (the discipline's base cost of 2 ki points plus 1).
The maximum number of ki points you can spend to cast a spell in this way (including its base ki point cost and any additional ki points you spend to increase its level) is determined by your monk level, as shown in the Spells and Ki Points table.
#bp;Spells And Ki Points
#ts;
#th;Monk Levels;Maximum Ki Points for a Spell;
#tr;5th-8th;3;
#tr;9th-12th;4;
#tr;13th-16th;5;
#tr;17th-20th;6;
#te;

#abf;Elemental Disciplines
The elemental disciplines are presented in alphabetical order. If a discipline requires a level, you must be that level in this class to learn the discipline.
#abf;Breath of Winter
(17th Level Required). You can spend 6 ki points to cast cone of cold.
#abf;Clench of the North Wind
(6th Level Required). You can spend 3 ki points to cast hold person.
#abf;Elemental Attunement
You can use your action to briefly control elemental forces nearby, causing one of the following effects of your choice:
#ls;
#li;Create a harmless, instantaneous sensory effect related to air, earth, fire, or water, such as a shower of sparks, a puff of wind, a spray of light mist, or a gentle rumbling of stone.
#li;Instantaneously light or snuff out a candle, a torch, or a small campfire.
#li;Chill or warm up to 1 pound of nonliving material for up to 1 hour.
#li;Cause earth, fire, water, or mist that can fit within a 1-foot cube to shape itself into a crude form you designate for 1 minute.
#le;
#abf;Eternal Mountain Defense
(11th Level Required). You can spend 5 ki points to cast stoneskin, targeting yourself.
#abf;Fangs of the Fire Snake
When you use the Attack action on your turn, you can spend 1 ki point to cause tendrils of flame to stretch out from your fists and feet. Your reach with your unarmed strikes increases by 10 feet for that action, as well as the rest of the turn. A hit with such an attack deals fire damage instead of bludgeoning damage, and if you spend 1 ki point when the attack hits, it also deals an extra 1d10 fire damage.
#abf;Fist of Four Thunders
You can spend 2 ki points to cast thunderwave.
#abf;Fist of Unbroken Air
You can create a blast of compressed air that strikes like a mighty fist. As an action, you can spend 2 ki points and choose a creature within 30 feet of you. That creature must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 3d10 bludgeoning damage, plus an extra 1d10 bludgeoning damage for each additional ki point you spend, and you can push the creature up to 20 feet away from you and knock it prone. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage, and you don't push it or knock it prone.
#abf;Flames of the Phoenix
(11th Level Required). You can spend 4 ki points to cast fireball.
#abf;Gong of the Summit
(6th Level Required). You can spend 3 ki points to cast shatter.
#abf;Mist Stance
(11th Level Required). You can spend 4 ki points to cast gaseous form, targeting yourself.
#abf;Ride the Wind
(11th Level Required). You can spend 4 ki points to cast fly, targeting yourself.
#abf;River of Hungry Flame
(17th Level Required). You can spend 5 ki points to cast walJ of fire.
#abf;Rush of the Gale Spirits
You can spend 2 ki points to cast gust of wind.
#abf;Shape the Flowing River
As an action, you can spend 1 ki point to choose an area of ice or water no larger than 30 feet on a side within 120 feet of you. You can change water to ice within the area and vice versa, and you can reshape ice in the area in any manner you choose. You can raise or lower the ice's elevation, create or fill in a trench, erect or flatten a wall, or form a pillar. The extent of any such changes can't exceed half the area's largest dimension. For example, if you affect a 30-foot square, you can create a pillar up to 15 feet high, raise or lower the square's elevation by up to 15 feet, dig a trench up to 15 feet deep, and so on. You can't shape the ice to trap or injure a creature in the area.
#abf;Sweeping Cinder Strike
You can spend 2 ki points to cast burning hands.
#abf;Water Whip
You can spend 2 ki points as a bonus action to create a whip of water that shoves and pulls a creature to unbalance it. A creature that you can see that is within 30 feet of you must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 3d10 bludgeoning damage, plus an extra 1d10 bludgeoning damage for each additional ki point you spend, and you can either knock it prone or pull it up to 25 feet closer to you. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage, and you don't pull it or knock it prone.
#abf;Wave of Rolling Earth
(17th Level Required). You can spend 6 ki points to cast wall of stone.

bodhiwolff
December 18th, 2014, 23:59
I think you have to put the level a feature is gained, after a semi-colon, after the heading of the feature.

So,

#abf;Breath of Winter;17
(17th Level Required). You can spend 6 ki points to cast cone of cold.

Jarvin
December 25th, 2014, 13:07
First of all, Merry Christmas to all who are celebrating! :)

Now, since it is a holiday I actually have some time to continue parsing 5E stuff, but I'm running into a weird issue;

I'm working on classes and I have Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, Ranger, and Warlock all set up and working properly.

I went to start on the Sorcerer, got a bunch of stuff typed in and decided to parse what I had.

The Parser finishes the Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, and Ranger and then just hangs, not going any further.

I thought it strange so I removed stuff bit-by-bit from the Sorcerer and tried re-parsing. Nothing worked, it just hung right after Ranger whatever was in there.

Finally I got it down to just;

##;Sorcerer
#h;Sorcerer

and it still hangs. Any thoughts? I've tried clearing the temp directory already. I know things are working fine otherwise because I made some changes to the Rogue class and took out all the Sorcerer stuff and it parsed perfectly and the Rogue changes showed up in FG.

I'm pulling my hair out at the moment. :)

Thegroo
December 25th, 2014, 13:17
Those are the parts you absolutly have to put in the file. If one is missing, it wont parse.

##;{Name of Class}\n
[{Descriptive FormattedText Line}\n]
Hit Points\n
Hit Dice: {text}\n
Hit Points at 1st Level: {text}\n
Hit Points at Higher Levels: {text}\n
Proficiencies\n
Armor: {text}\n
Weapons: {text}\n
Tools: {text}\n
Saving Throws: {text}\n
Skills: {text}\n
Equipment\n

If the rest is missing, you get a warning.

Try to insert just those and work from there.

Jarvin
December 25th, 2014, 14:23
Thank you so much, Thegroo! That was it!

trevorgall
December 27th, 2014, 21:21
It seems the PAR5e is not as easy as the video would show..
I tried to copy a NPC from a PF module. as is..and just got message WARNING on the NPC load.
Is there any option to show what the error is?
Sounds like a great tool. If it works for me.

as per the text npc below.. below..
So is there a specific format for the npcs that needs to be followed.. ?

or is it designed for 5e in mind?
.................................................. ....

GOBLIN WARCHANTER CR 1
Female goblin bard 1 (MM 133)
NE Small humanoid
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Listen +4, Spot +1
DEFENSE
AC 17, touch 14, flat-footed 14 (+3 armor, +3 Dex, +1 size)
hp 7 (1d6+1)
Fort +11, Ref +5, Will +3; +11 vs fear/charm
OFFENSE
Spd 30 ft.
Melee whip +11 (11d2 nonlethal) or dogslicer +1 (1d4/19–20)
Ranged shortbow +5 (1d4+1/x33)
Spells Known (CL 11st)
0 (2/day)—daze (DC 11), ghost sound (DC 11), mage hand, message
Str 8 Dex 16 Con 13 Int 8 Wis 12 Cha 13
Base Atk +0; Grp –5
Feats Combat Reflexes, Exotic Weapon
Proficiency (whip)
Skills - Concentration +5, Jump +3, Listen +4, Move Silently +7, Perform (song) +5, Ride +7, Tumble +7
Languages - Common, Goblin
SQ bardic knowledge +0, bardic music 1/day (countersong, fascinate, inspire courage +1)
Combat Gear potion of cure light wounds;
Other Gear studded leather, whip, short sword, shortbow with 20 arrows

damned
December 28th, 2014, 00:19
Par5e is a 5e tool.... there are PF tools for importing NPCs.

Jarvin
December 28th, 2014, 16:22
Does anyone know, off-hand, how to get the rays to show up linked like was done in this table?

So I am able to link to the Random Beholder Eyestalk Attack Table from the Other tab in the Beholder's description. Works wonderfully.

Legendary Actions. The beholder can take 3 legendary actions.....
##;
#h;Beholders
#zls;
#zl;table;Beholder Random Eyestalk Table
#zle;
One glance at a beholder is enough to assess .....
Which results in this:

I tried to link to it from the Main tab, but that didn't work (as I suspected).

Olodrin
December 28th, 2014, 17:03
Does anyone know, off-hand, how to get the rays to show up linked like was done in this table?

Yep.

Three steps.

First build a rollable table called Beholder Eye Rays in tables.txt

Second, check the tables.txt box in Par5e.

Three, right after the last line in your beholder description, put the following:

##;
#zls;
#zl;table;Beholder Eye Rays
#zle;

Jarvin
December 28th, 2014, 17:11
Yep.

Three steps.

First build a rollable table called Beholder Eye Rays in tables.txt

Second, check the tables.txt box in Par5e.

Three, right after the last line in your beholder description, put the following:

##;
#zls;
#zl;table;Beholder Eye Rays
#zle;

Thanks, Olodrin. Got that down now. However, in the example above, in the table, it shows a shield icon then Charm Ray. I'm assuming it's linking to the description of the Charm Ray somewhere, I just don't know how to accomplish that.

row;1;1;Charm Ray. The targeted creature must succeed on a...

When it rolls that it just outputs the entire text line.

Olodrin
December 28th, 2014, 17:48
Thanks, Olodrin. Got that down now. However, in the example above, in the table, it shows a shield icon then Charm Ray. I'm assuming it's linking to the description of the Charm Ray somewhere, I just don't know how to accomplish that.

row;1;1;Charm Ray. The targeted creature must succeed on a...

When it rolls that it just outputs the entire text line.

And here you've hit on a major problem with Par5e; linking spells into monster descriptions and magic items doesn't work. It's a known problem; Zeus tells me it's on the schedule for fixing.

Jarvin
December 28th, 2014, 17:57
And here you've hit on a major problem with Par5e; linking spells into monster descriptions and magic items doesn't work. It's a known problem; Zeus tells me it's on the schedule for fixing.

<laughs> Well, that explains it. Thanks, Olodrin! I'll stop beating my head against a wall now. :)

HotwheelzMcG
December 29th, 2014, 03:34
Help!!! running on Mac Yosemite 10.10.1, Java 7 update 71. Downloaded Par5e from link in first post and when i run it i get a message that application could not be opened. Not sure if previos posts will help given the updates sense they were posted. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Only been on Mac for a few years, most of my experience is with windows (vista was my last OS) and plan to get a new PC soon for game software, but until then I really want to get this working.

Thanks again.

HotwheelzMcG
December 29th, 2014, 03:56
Also, sense the Basic player and DM rules are available to download for free from the WOTC website, is it not possible to provide them in an already Par5e'd module file for download? If not, does one already exist? If so where do I find it?

As mentioned above, i haven't gotten par5e working on my mac yet, but if I had the module to download, I could use it to speed up my understanding of creating campigns and such. Right now I'm pretty much inputing LMOP from scratch to teach myself how to use the FG app. But that, as i'm sure you already know, is going to take so long.

Thanks

damned
December 29th, 2014, 04:14
HotWheelsMcG - welcome aboard.
For the basic PDF even thugh WoTC distribute it freely it cannot be reproduced for redistribution.
However - the funky tool here will do it for you in about 5 mins from woe to go - but only on a PC as it requires .Net 4.0
You should be able to run this on most PCs and transfer the files to your MAC - they are only tiny...

HotwheelzMcG
December 29th, 2014, 05:00
HotWheelsMcG - welcome aboard.
For the basic PDF even thugh WoTC distribute it freely it cannot be reproduced for redistribution.
However - the funky tool here will do it for you in about 5 mins from woe to go - but only on a PC as it requires .Net 4.0
You should be able to run this on most PCs and transfer the files to your MAC - they are only tiny...

There in lies the problem. No access to a PC at the moment. May be able to find a friend to help me out. Problem there is getting me and my wheelchair into most of there houses is an issue. (this area feels we all need 20 steps to get in and out of our homes. LOL)

If i could just get Par5E working on my mac, it wouldn't be an issue. None the less, thanks for your response.

Nylanfs
December 29th, 2014, 15:05
Would it run under WINE?

sturtus
December 29th, 2014, 15:11
I had the issue of PAR5E not working initially on my Mac, but was able to solve it. You have to make sure the .jar bundled inside the Mac .app file is executable. There is a UNIX permission that you need to enable. This would be the command:

chmod -R a+x [path to PAR5E]/PAR5E.app

That will enable execution of any file in that application bundle. Do that in Terminal and try to relaunch.

HotwheelzMcG
December 30th, 2014, 02:55
I had the issue of PAR5E not working initially on my Mac, but was able to solve it. You have to make sure the .jar bundled inside the Mac .app file is executable. There is a UNIX permission that you need to enable. This would be the command:

chmod -R a+x [path to PAR5E]/PAR5E.app

That will enable execution of any file in that application bundle. Do that in Terminal and try to relaunch.

I'm used to DOS so should the command be: chmod -R a+x My Mac/users/mcguire/desktop/par5e-mac/par5e.app

I figure the space between (My Mac) would probably cause a problem. I assume i need to know the drive name i.e. "c:\" like in DOS. I keep getting a No such file or directory" response.

damned
December 30th, 2014, 02:57
full path required and use "my Mac" etc...

HotwheelzMcG
December 30th, 2014, 03:00
Would it run under WINE?

Haven't messed with WINE. Looking into that now. I was using VMware to run Windows XP to opporate Quicken, but that eventully broke (probably do to MS not supporting old versions of its software anymore) and I just got rid of it as I couldn't get XP to boot via VMware anymore.

I used to be really into all the in depth aspects of computing but i'm affraid i'm quite out of practice these days. LOL. Some of it seems to be comming back slowly.

HotwheelzMcG
December 30th, 2014, 03:10
full path required and use "my Mac" etc...

Ran the following command through terminal with same result:

chmod -R a+x My Mac/users/mcguire/desktop/par5e-mac/par5e.app

checked to make sure i made no spelling errors. Even made sure to try with proper cappital letters which i don't think matters.

damned
December 30th, 2014, 04:27
you need to put all paths with spaces inside "" eg "my mac"...

damned
December 30th, 2014, 04:55
try changing into that directory and then running the shorter command:
chmod -R a+x par5e.app

khersheyjr
December 30th, 2014, 06:05
Has anyone successfully parsed the magic items within the DMG yet?

khersheyjr
December 30th, 2014, 19:03
Once again, I'd like to say, thank you so much for all your hard work on this parser, it has saved so much time and labour in getting the information into Fantasy Grounds to use.

One quick thing, while entering magic items, I have found that it doesn't seem to recognize Rod as a magic item type - it won't even take Wand (rod), Wondrous item (rod) or anything I can think of with rod involved. (I changed it to Wand for now so I can get the item in, but was wondering if I am missing something, if anyone else has had this trouble...)

I too have found an issue at least for the Immovable Rod.

HotwheelzMcG
December 30th, 2014, 21:08
try changing into that directory and then running the shorter command:
chmod -R a+x par5e.app

Figured it out. I was allready in my user folder in the terminal and so i was had was pointing to folders that didn't exist in those directory's. Got it running now. Thanks for all the help everyone.

spoofer
December 31st, 2014, 00:27
Has anyone successfully parsed the magic items within the DMG yet?

yes, except for rods, which as noted, do not parse for some reason. NPCs also done. Siege equipment and poisons also entered.

bodhiwolff
December 31st, 2014, 00:32
I am stumped on entering the NPC's ("monsters"). The OCR system on my .pdf reader scrambles the information horribly when I cut-and-paste, to the point where it is almost easier to type everything in manually.

Is there an .pdf reader that is really solid at "reading" the .pdf's?

'cause damnit, I spent all that time making the stuff for my players, and now I would REALLY like some payoff for myself as the DM! ;-)

damned
December 31st, 2014, 01:08
try pasting it into ONENOTE - I have found it to be an excellent OCR tool.

HotwheelzMcG
December 31st, 2014, 02:19
Ok so summery, i'm running on a Mac. FG runs fine, finally got PAR5E working (thankyou damned). Now i'm starting to PAR5E. Using Xorns video as refrence.

Here's the issue. I cannot point the output folder beyond the FG folder. I guess it cannot view the folders through Wine. So i used finder to dig in and copy the needed folder to the desktop and pointed PAR5E there. Parsed the info (in this case the first item in backgrounds) and it seemed to be successful. So then i copied the folder back into its original home and loaded FG. No module present to open. Just the vanilla stuff that comes with FG.

Anyone have an idea whats happening?

Is it an issue with me moving the moduler folder back and forth and Par5e?

I assumed that the temp folder was just that, a temp place while par5e'ing. is there something in the moduler folder that points back to that temp location and when i move the folder back it breaks it?

damned
December 31st, 2014, 02:22
Hey HotwheelzMcG -
copy .mod files to the modules folder.
Then reload Fantasy Grounds.
Go to Library -> Modules and activate the new modules...
Something like that anyway...

spoofer
December 31st, 2014, 02:28
The OCR system on my .pdf reader scrambles the information horribly when I cut-and-paste

Take the time to learn how to use the HotKey program. I wrote a script that realigns the stats and their values into the format expected by PAR5E. I posted that script somewhere. I will post it again.

Ok, here it is... this is the script file I used to parse the Monster Manual. It does many things, but the most useful function is that it uses regular expressions to locate the stats and then spits them out in the correct order.

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.
#SingleInstance Force
#EscapeChar \
StringCaseSense On

A_COMMA := ","
A_PERIOD := "."

F1:: ;search the current document for and fix common errors, and as many of the extra linefeed as possible
clipboard =
Send ^a
Send ^c
ClipWait
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, ofthe, of%A_SPACE%the, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, o%A_SPACE%f, of, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, w%A_SPACE%ere, were, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, legend%A_SPACE%ary, legendary, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, darkvis%A_SPACE%ion, darkvision, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, non%A_SPACE%magical, nonmagical, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, natu%A_SPACE%ral, natural, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, ft%A_SPACE%., ft., All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, %A_SPACE%%A_PERIOD%, %A_PERIOD%, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, %A_SPACE%%A_COMMA%, %A_COMMA%, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, 0ft, 0 ft, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, 5ft, 5 ft, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, “, ", All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, ”, ", All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, ’, ', All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, ft%A_SPACE%., ft., All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, 1f, 1/, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, 2f, 2/, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, 3f, 3/, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, 4f, 4/, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, 5f, 5/, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, 1j, 1/, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, 2j, 2/, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, 3j, 3/, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, 4j, 4/, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, 5j, 5/, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, 1J, 1/, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, 2J, 2/, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, 3J, 3/, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, 4J, 4/, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, 5J, 5/, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, :+, :%A_SPACE%+, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, (%A_SPACE%-, (-, All
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, (-%A_SPACE%, (-, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\nHit:, %A_SPACE%Hit:, All
Send ^v
return

F2:: ;grab the stats, and spit them out in the correct format
;the first regex is search for "STR, any two char (this is lnfeed+return), one or two digits, and the following any five char"
;then record the one or digits and the following any five char into Stat1
;so for example, this is will look for STR/n16 (+2), and record "16 (+2)" into Stat1
;once all six stats are found and recorded, then replace "STR" and the contents of the variable str with ""
;write out the stats as STR DEX ... 16 (+4) 10 (+0) ...
;write out any leftover stuff that found among the stats
Clipboard =
Send ^c
ClipWait
Found := RegExMatch(Clipboard, "ms)STR..([0-9]{1,2}.{5})", Stat)
str := Stat1
Found := RegExMatch(Clipboard, "ms)DEX..([0-9]{1,2}.{5})", Stat)
dex := Stat1
Found := RegExMatch(Clipboard, "ms)CON..([0-9]{1,2}.{5})", Stat)
con := Stat1
Found := RegExMatch(Clipboard, "ms)INT..([0-9]{1,2}.{5})", Stat)
int := Stat1
Found := RegExMatch(Clipboard, "ms)WIS..([0-9]{1,2}.{5})", Stat)
wis := Stat1
Found := RegExMatch(Clipboard, "ms)CHA..([0-9]{1,2}.{5})", Stat)
cha := Stat1
ClipBoard := RegExReplace(Clipboard, "STR", "")
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, %str%, , All
ClipBoard := RegExReplace(Clipboard, "DEX", "")
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, %dex%, , All
ClipBoard := RegExReplace(Clipboard, "CON", "")
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, %con%, , All
ClipBoard := RegExReplace(Clipboard, "INT", "")
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, %int%, , All
ClipBoard := RegExReplace(Clipboard, "WIS", "")
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, %wis%, , All
ClipBoard := RegExReplace(Clipboard, "CHA", "")
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, %cha%, , All
Send STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
Send {SPACE}
SendRaw %str%
Send {SPACE}
SendRaw %dex%
Send {SPACE}
SendRaw %con%
Send {SPACE}
SendRaw %int%
Send {SPACE}
SendRaw %wis%
Send {SPACE}
SendRaw %cha%
Send {RETURN}
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\n\r\n, , All
Send ^v
Return

F3:: ;remove all of the linefeed symbols in front of lowercase letters.
clipboard =
Send ^c
ClipWait
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\na, %A_SPACE%a, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\nb, %A_SPACE%b, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\nc, %A_SPACE%c, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\nd, %A_SPACE%d, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\ne, %A_SPACE%e, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\nf, %A_SPACE%f, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\ng, %A_SPACE%g, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\nh, %A_SPACE%h, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\ni, %A_SPACE%i, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\nj, %A_SPACE%j, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\nk, %A_SPACE%k, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\nl, %A_SPACE%l, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\nm, %A_SPACE%m, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\nn, %A_SPACE%n, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\no, %A_SPACE%o, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\np, %A_SPACE%p, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\nq, %A_SPACE%q, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\nr, %A_SPACE%r, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\ns, %A_SPACE%s, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\nt, %A_SPACE%t, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\nu, %A_SPACE%u, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\nv, %A_SPACE%v, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\nw, %A_SPACE%w, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\nx, %A_SPACE%x, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\ny, %A_SPACE%y, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, \r\nz, %A_SPACE%z, All
Send ^v
return

F4:: ;replace line returns with spaces, and then move cursor to next line
clipboard =
Send ^c
ClipWait
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard, \r\n, %A_SPACE%, All
Send ^v
Send {Home}
Send {Down}
Return

F5:: ;convert all uppercase to title case, use comma for the dash
clipboard =
Send +{End}
Send ^c
ClipWait
StringLower, clipboard, clipboard, T
StringReplace clipboard, clipboard, %A_SPACE%-%A_SPACE%, %A_COMMA%%A_SPACE%
Send ^v
Return

F6:: ;convert all lowercase to uppercase, use - for the comma
clipboard =
Send +{End}
Send ^c
ClipWait
StringUpper, clipboard, clipboard
StringReplace clipboard, clipboard, %A_COMMA%%A_SPACE%, %A_SPACE%-%A_SPACE%
Send ^v
Return

F7:: ;tidy up the plus signs
clipboard =
Send ^a
Send ^c
ClipWait
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, 0%A_SPACE%+, 0+, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, 1%A_SPACE%+, 1+, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, 2%A_SPACE%+, 2+, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, 3%A_SPACE%+, 3+, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, 4%A_SPACE%+, 4+, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, 5%A_SPACE%+, 5+, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, 6%A_SPACE%+, 6+, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, 7%A_SPACE%+, 7+, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, 8%A_SPACE%+, 8+, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, 9%A_SPACE%+, 9+, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, +%A_SPACE%0, +0, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, +%A_SPACE%1, +1, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, +%A_SPACE%2, +2, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, +%A_SPACE%3, +3, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, +%A_SPACE%4, +4, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, +%A_SPACE%5, +5, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, +%A_SPACE%6, +6, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, +%A_SPACE%7, +7, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, +%A_SPACE%8, +8, All
StringReplace, Clipboard, Clipboard, +%A_SPACE%9, +9, All
Send ^v
Return

F8:: ;add bold text tags
clipboard =
Send ^c
ClipWait
Send {<}
Send {b}
Send {>}
Send ^v
Send {<}
Send {/}
Send {b}
Send {>}
Send {Home}
return

F9:: ;add bold italic text tags
clipboard =
Send ^c
ClipWait
Send {<}
Send {b}
Send {>}
Send {<}
Send {i}
Send {>}
Send ^v
Send {<}
Send {/}
Send {i}
Send {>}
Send {<}
Send {/}
Send {b}
Send {>}
Send {Home}
return

spoofer
December 31st, 2014, 03:19
Note to fellow parsers:

The following does not parse: Weapon (greatsword), legendary (requires attunement by a creature of non-lawful alignment)

Remove the dash, and it works: Weapon (greatsword), legendary (requires attunement by a creature of nonlawful alignment)

xcmkerr
December 31st, 2014, 06:50
I'm getting "module archive" failed for some reason. Any help?

damned
December 31st, 2014, 11:09
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18123-Project-Par5e/page27

run as administrator and make sure your temp and output paths are different.

HotwheelzMcG
January 2nd, 2015, 00:40
I don't think it is actully completeing the par5e. When I run it, it ends with the curser blinking in the middle of the completed note for the "tables (campaign)". And the ready bar at the bottom is about 98% full. I tryed changing the the output destination and it doesn't put anything in that location. No .mod file or anything.

Other notes: In the configureation, the module id field is greyed and won't let me type an entry in.

Update: i think i figured it out. I had to close the file in my text editor.

FSHSchmo
January 2nd, 2015, 06:04
So I started diving into Par5e today after watching this turtorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_-013SMvcc - but after getting my spells and backgrounds done I have hit a snag on the class section. When I try to parse I get the following feedback then it stops -

Info : module .................................................. ................. [5E Player's Handbook]

Can somebody point me in the right direction to solve my issue :D I have attached my class.txt file.

damned
January 2nd, 2015, 06:24
try: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18123-Project-Par5e/page94

FSHSchmo
January 2nd, 2015, 18:23
I looked those post over and compared my txt file to somebody else having the same issue and mine looked all correct but it still will not parse. I turned on the debug to level 3 to see where it might be hanging up but did not find any kind of debug file.

Thegroo
January 2nd, 2015, 22:18
I looked those post over and compared my txt file to somebody else having the same issue and mine looked all correct but it still will not parse. I turned on the debug to level 3 to see where it might be hanging up but did not find any kind of debug file.

You have to remove the #bp; in front of Hit Points, Proficiencies and Equipment. Then it will parse fine.

by the way: change #bp;Totemic Attunement to #abf;Totemic Attunement;14

FSHSchmo
January 3rd, 2015, 00:43
You have to remove the #bp; in front of Hit Points, Proficiencies and Equipment. Then it will parse fine.

by the way: change #bp;Totemic Attunement to #abf;Totemic Attunement;14

That did the trick! Thanks a bunch!

yondar
January 3rd, 2015, 14:57
Is it possible using par5e to set up a table that will add a d12 and a d8 to give a range from 2-20.

Thanks in advance

Yondar

Rosie
January 4th, 2015, 04:21
So I have used the 5E basic rules parser. I now have a group of text files, that I assume are able to be used as input to Par5e. I tried to build the backgrounds and....

Info : module .................................................. ....................... [5E Backgrounds]
Parse : backgrounds .................................................. .......... [Invalid Path - WARNING]
Make : backgrounds (reference) .................................................. ........... [Completed]
Make : module xml data .................................................. ................... [Completed]
Make : archive data .................................................. ...................... [Completed]
Make : module xml library entries .................................................. ........ [Completed]
Write : module xml data .................................................. ................... [Completed]
Write : module xml syntax .................................................. ............... [Well Formed]
Write : module xml definition .................................................. ............. [Completed]
Write : copying module images .................................................. ............. [Completed]
Write : copying module tokens .................................................. ............. [Completed]
Write : copying module thumbnail .................................................. .......... [Completed]
Cook : module archive .................................................. .................... [Completed]
Build : module .................................................. ............................ [Completed]

i don't understand the invalid path...
I also noticed that the NPC text file is really the monsters. There does not seem to be NPCs parsed out with this 'basic parser".

have i done something wrong?

Rosie (the newbie)

Trenloe
January 4th, 2015, 05:46
I also noticed that the NPC text file is really the monsters. There does not seem to be NPCs parsed out with this 'basic parser".
Exactly which NPCs are you referring to? I can see the NPCs from the DM Basic Rules PDF created in the module (acolyte, bandit, berserker, etc.).

Rosie
January 4th, 2015, 05:52
I have HotDQ. It seemed like the basic parser picked up data from that module as well. I am not sure, but in that there are NPCs.

I have been watching Xorn's videos. But even following his directions I am still getting an invalid path. I am not sure what the issue is.

Par5e is running as admin.

Thanks again for the help. I am sure this is easier once you learn the ropes.

Rosie (the newbie)

Trenloe
January 4th, 2015, 06:16
I have HotDQ. It seemed like the basic parser picked up data from that module as well. I am not sure, but in that there are NPCs.

I have been watching Xorn's videos. But even following his directions I am still getting an invalid path. I am not sure what the issue is.

Par5e is running as admin.

Thanks again for the help. I am sure this is easier once you learn the ropes.

Rosie (the newbie)
The parser only reads data from the freely downloadable PDFs from Wizards, it doesn't have access to the full products. Have a look in the directory where you ran the 5E Basic Rules Parser app from and you'll see some PDFs have been downloaded. There is a free Hoard of the Dragon Queen PDF that is used to parse creatures: https://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/HoardDragonQueen_Supplement_v0.3.pdf The creatures in this PDF will be parsed, others that are only in the full product will not be available.

pendin
January 4th, 2015, 15:05
??? :) Sounds like the app has lost its execute permission set for the JavaAppLauncher file in the .app. How did you download the package and where have you installed the app? Check you have permission to read/write to the file. Also:

Open a Terminal, cd to where you installed PAR5E.app and enter:

chmod +x PAR5E.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaAppLauncher

If you get an error about not having the correct permission, enter:

sudo chmod +x PAR5E.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaAppLauncher

You will be prompted for the Administrator password.

Hopefully, it should now work for you.

I had the same problem, running on a mac and when I tried to launch PAR5E.app, finder just came back with "the application par5e can't be opened" without even an error code. Well, I tried a lot of things, but typing "sudo chmod +x PAR5E.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaAppLauncher" in the terminal after changing to the PAR5E directory was the one that worked! Thanks!

Rosie
January 4th, 2015, 17:13
Ok that mystery solved then. I will have to create the txt files for them then. Thanks.

Now i just need to figure out this invalid path.

Rosie (the newbie)

Trenloe
January 4th, 2015, 17:17
Now i just need to figure out this invalid path.
Don't have \input on the end of your module source path, this is automatically added on for the individual text files - you can see input\backgrounds.txt path will be added to your module source path to find the backgrounds.txt file.

Rosie
January 4th, 2015, 23:31
Trenloe, thank you thank you thank you... there was the problem... not reading.. :) Backgrounds worked.. I can move on to another section.

*bows low in respect*

Rosie (becoming less of a newbie)

HotwheelzMcG
January 5th, 2015, 11:16
Hey guys, hope you can help me out here. I used the basic rules parser to get all the needed .txt files to use in Par5e. Everything went smoothly accept for the equipment. It gets stuck about the area of blowgun needles and cannot complete. Any thoughts? I have looked in the .txt file and can't find any issue there, but i may be missing something.

This is what is in there:
#@;ARMOR
#th;Armor;Cost;Armor Class (AC);Strength;Stealth;Weight;
#st;Light Armor
Padded;5 gp;11 + Dex modifier;-;Disadvantage;8 lb.;
Leather;10 gp;11 + Dex modifier;-;-;10 lb.;
Studded leather;45 gp;12 + Dex modifier;-;-;13 lb.;
#st;Medium Armor
Hide;10 gp;12 + Dex modifier (max 2);-;-;12 lb.;
Chain shirt;50 gp;13 + Dex modifier (max 2);-;-;20 lb.;
Scale mail;50 gp;14 + Dex modifier (max 2);-;Disadvantage;45 lb.;
Breastplate;400 gp;14 + Dex modifier (max 2);-;-;20 lb.;
Half plate;750 gp;15 + Dex modifier (max 2);-;Disadvantage;40 lb.;
#st;Heavy Armor
Ring mail;30 gp;14;-;Disadvantage;40 lb.;
Chain mail;75 gp;16;Str 13;Disadvantage;55 lb.;
Splint;200 gp;17;Str 15;Disadvantage;60 lb.;
Plate;1,500 gp;18;Str 15;Disadvantage;65 lb.;
#st;Shield
Shield;10 gp;+2;-;-;6 lb.;

#@;WEAPON
#th;Name;Cost;Damage;Weight;Properties;
#st;Simple Melee Weapons
Club;1 sp;1d4 bludgeoning;2 lb.;Light;
Dagger;2 gp;1d4 piercing;1 lb.;Finesse, light, thrown (range 20/60);
Greatclub;2 sp;1d8 bludgeoning;10 lb.;Two-handed;
Handaxe;5 gp;1d6 slashing;2 lb.;Light, thrown (range 20/60);
Javelin;5 sp;1d6 piercing;2 lb.;Thrown (range 30/120);
Light hammer;2 gp;1d4 bludgeoning;2 lb.;Light, thrown (range 20/60);
Mace;5 gp;1d6 bludgeoning;4 lb.;-;
Quarterstaff;2 sp;1d6 bludgeoning;4 lb.;Versatile (1d8);
Sickle;1 gp;1d4 slashing;2 lb.;Light;
Spear;1 gp;1d6 piercing;3 lb.;Thrown (range 20/60), versatile (1d8);
Unarmed strike;-;1 bludgeoning;-;-;
#st;Simple Ranged Weapons
Crossbow, light;25 gp;1d8 piercing;5 lb.;Ammunition (range 80/320), loading, two-handed;
Dart;5 cp;1d4 piercing;1/4 lb.;Finesse, thrown (range 20/60);
Shortbow;25 gp;1d6 piercing;2 lb.;Ammunition (range 80/320), two-handed;
Sling;1 sp;1d4 bludgeoning;-;Ammunition (range 30/120);
#st;Martial Melee Weapons
Battleaxe;10 gp;1d8 slashing;4 lb.;Versatile (1d10);
Flail;10 gp;1d8 bludgeoning;2 lb.;-;
Glaive;20 gp;1d10 slashing;6 lb.;Heavy, reach, two-handed;
Greataxe;30 gp;1d12 slashing;7 lb.;Heavy, two-handed;
Greatsword;50 gp;2d6 slashing;6 lb.;Heavy, two-handed;
Halberd;20 gp;1d10 slashing;6 lb.;Heavy, reach, two-handed;
Lance;10 gp;1d12 piercing;6 lb.;Reach, special;
Longsword;15 gp;1d8 slashing;3 lb.;Versatile (1d10);
Maul;10 gp;2d6 bludgeoning;10 lb.;Heavy, two-handed;
Morningstar;15 gp;1d8 piercing;4 lb.;-;
Pike;5 gp;1d10 piercing;18 lb.;Heavy, reach, two-handed;
Rapier;25 gp;1d8 piercing;2 lb.;Finesse;
Scimitar;25 gp;1d6 slashing;3 lb.;Finesse, light;
Shortsword;10 gp;1d6 piercing;2 lb. ;Finesse, light;
Trident;5 gp;1d6 piercing;4 lb.;Thrown (range 20/60), versatile (1d8);
War pick;5 gp;1d8 piercing;2 lb.;-;
Warhammer;15 gp;1d8 bludgeoning;2 lb.;Versatile (1d10);
Whip;2 gp;1d4 slashing;3 lb.;Finesse, reach;
#st;Martial Ranged Weapons
Blowgun;10 gp;1 piercing;1 lb.;Ammunition (range 25/100), loading;
Crossbow, hand;75 gp;1d6 piercing;3 lb.;Ammunition (range 30/120), light, loading;
Crossbow, heavy;50 gp;1d10 piercing;18 lb.;Ammunition (range 100/400), heavy, loading, two-handed;
Longbow;50 gp;1d8 piercing;2 lb.;Ammunition (range 150/600), heavy, two-handed;
Net;1 gp;-;3 lb.;Special, thrown (range 5/15);

#@;ADVENTURING GEAR
#th;Item;Cost;Weight;
#st;Adventuring Gear
Abacus;2 gp;2 lb.;
Acid (vial);25 gp;1 lb.;
Alchemist’s fire (flask);50 gp;1 lb.;
#st;Ammunition
Arrows (20);1 gp;1 lb.;
Blowgun needles (50);1 gp;1 lb.;
Crossbow bolts (20);1 gp;1½ lb.;
Sling bullets (20);4 cp;1½ lb.;
#st;Adventuring Gear
Antitoxin (vial);50 gp;-;
#st;Arcane focus
Crystal;10 gp;1 lb.;
Orb;20 gp;3 lb.;
Rod;10 gp;2 lb.;
Staff;5 gp;4 lb.;
Wand;10 gp;1 lb.;
#st;Adventuring Gear
Backpack;2 gp;5 lb.;
Ball bearings (bag of 1,000);1 gp;2 lb.;
Barrel;2 gp;70 lb.;
Basket;4 sp;2 lb.;
Bedroll;1 gp;7 lb.;
Bell;1 gp;-;
Blanket;5 sp;3 lb.;
Block and tackle;1 gp;5 lb.;
Book;25 gp;5 lb.;
Bottle, glass;2 gp;2 lb.;
Bucket;5 cp;2 lb.;
Caltrops (bag of 20);1 gp;2 lb.;
Candle;1 cp;-;
Case, crossbow bolt;1 gp;1 lb.;
Case, map or scroll;1 gp;1 lb.;
Chain (10 feet);5 gp;10 lb.;
Chalk (1 piece);1 cp;-;
Chest;5 gp;25 lb.;
Climber’s kit;25 gp;12 lb.;
Clothes, common;5 sp;3 lb.;
Clothes, costume;5 gp;4 lb.;
Clothes, fine;15 gp;6 lb.;
Clothes, traveler’s;2 gp;4 lb.;
Component pouch;25 gp;2 lb.;
Crowbar;2 gp;5 lb.;
#st;Druidic focus
Sprig of mistletoe;1 gp;-;
Totem;1 gp;-;
Wooden staff;5 gp;4 lb.;
Yew wand;10 gp;1 lb.;
#st;Adventuring Gear
Fishing tackle;1 gp;4 lb.;
Flask or tankard;2 cp;1 lb.;
Grappling hook;2 gp;4 lb.;
Hammer;1 gp;3 lb.;
Hammer, sledge;2 gp;10 lb.;
Healer’s kit;5 gp;3 lb.;
#st;Holy symbol
Amulet;5 gp;1 lb.;
Emblem;5 gp;-;
Reliquary;5 gp;2 lb.;
#st;Adventuring Gear
Holy water (flask);25 gp;1 lb.;
Hourglass;25 gp;1 lb.;
Hunting trap;5 gp;25 lb.;
Ink (1 ounce bottle);10 gp;-;
Ink pen;2 cp;-;
Jug or pitcher;2 cp;4 lb.;
Ladder (10-foot);1 sp;25 lb.;
Lamp;5 sp;1 lb.;
Lantern, bullseye;10 gp;2 lb.;
Lantern, hooded;5 gp;2 lb.;
Lock;10 gp;1 lb.;
Magnifying glass;100 gp;-;
Manacles;2 gp;6 lb.;
Mess kit;2 sp;1 lb.;
Mirror, steel;5 gp;1/2 lb.;
Oil (flask);1 sp;1 lb.;
Paper (one sheet);2 sp;-;
Parchment (one sheet);1 sp;-;
Perfume (vial);5 gp;-;
Pick, miner’s;2 gp;10 lb.;
Piton;5 cp;1/4 lb.;
Poison, basic (vial);100 gp;-;
Pole (10-foot);5 cp;7 lb.;
Pot, iron;2 gp;10 lb.;
Potion of healing;50 gp;1/2 lb.;
Pouch;5 sp;1 lb.;
Quiver;1 gp;1 lb.;
Ram, portable;4 gp;35 lb.;
Rations (1 day);5 sp;2 lb.;
Robes;1 gp;4 lb.;
Rope, hempen (50 feet);1 gp;10 lb.;
Rope, silk (50 feet);10 gp;5 lb.;
Sack;1 cp;1/2 lb.;
Scale, merchant’s;5 gp;3 lb.;
Sealing wax;5 sp;-;
Shovel;2 gp;5 lb.;
Signal whistle;5 cp;-;
Signet ring;5 gp;-;
Soap;2 cp;-;
Spellbook;50 gp;3 lb.;
Spikes, iron (10);1 gp;5 lb.;
Spyglass;1,000 gp;1 lb.;
Tent, two-person;2 gp;20 lb.;
Tinderbox;5 sp;1 lb.;
Torch;1 cp;1 lb.;
Vial;1 gp;-;
Waterskin;2 sp;5 lb. (full);
Whetstone;1 cp;1 lb.;

#@;TOOLS
#th;Item;Cost;Weight;
#st;Artisan’s tools
Alchemist’s supplies;50 gp;8 lb.;
Brewer’s supplies;20 gp;9 lb.;
Calligrapher's supplies;10 gp;5 lb.;
Carpenter’s tools;8 gp;6 lb.;
Cartographer’s tools;15 gp.;6 lb.;
Cobbler’s tools;5 gp;5 lb.;
Cook’s utensils;1 gp;8 lb.;
Glassblower’s tools;30 gp;5 lb.;
Jeweler’s tools;25 gp;2 lb.;
Leatherworker’s tools;5 gp;5 lb.;
Mason’s tools;10 gp;8 lb.;
Painter’s supplies;10 gp;5 lb.;
Potter’s tools;10 gp;3 lb.;
Smith’s tools;20 gp;8 lb.;
Tinker’s tools;50 gp;10 lb.;
Weaver’s tools;1 gp;5 lb.;
Woodcarver’s tools;1 gp;5 lb.;
#st;Tools
Disguise kit;25 gp;3 lb.;
Forgery kit;15 gp;5 lb.;
#st;Gaming set
Dice set;1 sp;-;
Dragonchess set;1 gp;1/2 lb.;
Playing card set;5 sp;-;
Three-Dragon Ante set;1 gp;-;
#st;Tools
Herbalism kit;5 gp;3 lb.;
#st;Musical instrument
Bagpipes;30 gp;6 lb.;
Drum;6 gp;3 lb.;
Dulcimer;25 gp;10 lb.;
Flute;2 gp;1 lb.;
Lute;35 gp;2 lb.;
Lyre;30 gp;2 lb.;
Horn;3 gp;2 lb.;
Pan flute;12 gp;2 lb.;
Shawm;2 gp;1 lb.;
Viol;30 gp;1 lb.;
#st;Tools
Navigator’s tools;25 gp;2 lb.;
Poisoner’s kit;50 gp;2 lb.;
Thieves’ tools;25 gp;1 lb.;
Vehicles (land or water);*;*;
* See the “Mounts and Vehicles” section.;;;

#@;MOUNTS AND OTHER ANIMALS
#th;Item;Cost;Speed;Carrying Capacity;
#st;Mounts and Other Animals
Camel;50 gp;50 ft.;480 lb.;
Donkey or mule;8 gp;40 ft.;420 lb.;
Elephant;200 gp;40 ft.;1,320 lb.;
Horse, draft;50 gp;40 ft.;540 lb.;
Horse, riding;75 gp;60 ft.;480 lb.;
Mastiff;25 gp;40 ft.;195 lb.;
Pony;30 gp;40 ft.;225 lb.;
Warhorse;400 gp;60 ft.;540 lb.;

#@;TACK, HARNESS, AND DRAWN VEHICLES
#th;Item;Cost;Weight;
#st;Tack, Harness, and Drawn Vehicles
Barding;x4;x2;
Bit and bridle;2 gp;1 lb.;
Carriage;100 gp;600 lb.;
Cart;15 gp;200 lb.;
Chariot;250 gp;100 lb.;
Feed (per day);5 cp;10 lb.;
#st;Saddle
Exotic;60 gp;40 lb.;
Military;20 gp;30 lb.;
Pack;5 gp;15 lb.;
Riding;10 gp;25 lb.;
#st;Tack, Harness, and Drawn Vehicles
Saddlebags;4 gp;8 lb.;
Sled;20 gp;300 lb.;
Stabling (per day);5 sp;-;
Wagon;35 gp;400 lb.;

#@;WATERBORNE VEHICLES
#th;Item;Cost;Speed;
#st;Waterborne Vehicles
Galley;30,000 gp;4 mph;
Keelboat;3,000 gp;1 mph;
Longship;10,000 gp;3 mph;
Rowboat;50 gp;1½ mph;
Sailing ship;10,000 gp;2 mph;
Warship;25,000 gp;2½ mph;

damned
January 5th, 2015, 13:12
i dont think it supports ammunition
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18123-Project-Par5e&p=168726&viewfull=1#post168726

Halma
January 5th, 2015, 13:40
Hey guys,

I have been trying my hand with parse, and getting started on the PHB content. I have followed along with the Tutorial that was provided here and was able to successfully got the Backgrounds into the game. When I went to make a Class parse, Parse is showing no errors when done, but Class is not showing up in FG2, like the Backgrounds are. Below is my class.txt. Any help would be appreciated. thanks guys.

Just a snipit of the beginning

##;Barbarian
#h;Barbarian
A tall human tribesman strides through a blizzard, draped in fur and hefting his axe. He laughs as he charges toward the frost giant w ho dared poach his people’s elk herd.
A half-orc snarls at the latest challenger to her authority over their savage tribe, ready to break his neck with her bare hands as she did to the last six rivals.
Frothing at the mouth, a dwarf slams his helmet into the face of his drow foe, then turns to drive his armored elbow into the gut of another.
These barbarians, different as they might be, are defined by their rage: unbridled, unquenchable, and unthinking fury. More than a mere emotion, their anger is the ferocity of a cornered predator, the unrelenting assault of a storm, the churning turmoil of the sea.
For some, their rage springs from a communion with fierce animal spirits. Others draw from a roiling reservoir of anger at a world full of pain. For every barbarian, rage is a power that fuels not just a battle frenzy but also uncanny reflexes, resilience, and feats of strength.

HotwheelzMcG
January 5th, 2015, 14:13
Hey guys,

I have been trying my hand with parse, and getting started on the PHB content. I have followed along with the Tutorial that was provided here and was able to successfully got the Backgrounds into the game. When I went to make a Class parse, Parse is showing no errors when done, but Class is not showing up in FG2, like the Backgrounds are. Below is my class.txt. Any help would be appreciated. thanks guys.

Just a snipit of the beginning

##;Barbarian
#h;Barbarian
A tall human tribesman strides through a blizzard, draped in fur and hefting his axe. He laughs as he charges toward the frost giant w ho dared poach his people’s elk herd.
A half-orc snarls at the latest challenger to her authority over their savage tribe, ready to break his neck with her bare hands as she did to the last six rivals.
Frothing at the mouth, a dwarf slams his helmet into the face of his drow foe, then turns to drive his armored elbow into the gut of another.
These barbarians, different as they might be, are defined by their rage: unbridled, unquenchable, and unthinking fury. More than a mere emotion, their anger is the ferocity of a cornered predator, the unrelenting assault of a storm, the churning turmoil of the sea.
For some, their rage springs from a communion with fierce animal spirits. Others draw from a roiling reservoir of anger at a world full of pain. For every barbarian, rage is a power that fuels not just a battle frenzy but also uncanny reflexes, resilience, and feats of strength.

Looking at your screenshot, it isn't completing properly. I had the same issue with mine. Make sure you have a good destination location for your output. When mine did that it was because the output location was no good, so it basically had all the info but was unable to create the end .mod file.

HotwheelzMcG
January 5th, 2015, 14:22
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18123-Project-Par5e&p=168726&viewfull=1#post168726

Yep, I removed the ammunition section and it worked great. Anyone have a work around for the ammunition?

HotwheelzMcG
January 5th, 2015, 14:24

Yep, I removed the ammuntion fields and it went through fine. Anyone have a workaround for the ammunition? Is it even needed? Haven't had the opportunity to play an actual game with FG (probably have to just run a test one myself) to really know how it all plays out.

Halma
January 5th, 2015, 20:46
Looking at your screenshot, it isn't completing properly. I had the same issue with mine. Make sure you have a good destination location for your output. When mine did that it was because the output location was no good, so it basically had all the info but was unable to create the end .mod file.

The strange thing is I can parse using Backgrounds and it creates the mod file just fine, but when I included class.txt it will not output the mod file. Class.txt is in the same input folder as backgrounds.txt but one works the other does not.

Could there be a problem with my class.txt file?

soulcat
January 5th, 2015, 21:37
I had that problem as well, it is a result of the crossbow bolt after it. The 1 1/2 lb if you change it to 1.5 it works. The fractions are the problem.

Thegroo
January 5th, 2015, 22:03
The strange thing is I can parse using Backgrounds and it creates the mod file just fine, but when I included class.txt it will not output the mod file. Class.txt is in the same input folder as backgrounds.txt but one works the other does not.

That is 'normal' behavior. You must have an error in the class.txt.
Try it with just one class and make sure you have all the Keywords (in the documentation pdf) present:

Hit Points\n
Hit Dice: {text}\n
Hit Points at 1st Level: {text}\n
Hit Points at Higher Levels: {text}\n
Proficiencies\n
Armor: {text}\n
Weapons: {text}\n
Tools: {text}\n
Saving Throws: {text}\n
Skills: {text}\n
Equipment\n

PS: Don't put anything in front of the keywords (like #h; or #bp; )

HotwheelzMcG
January 5th, 2015, 22:05

Sounds like there is something wrong with your class.txt file. I haven't finished my classes yet. They seem to be the hardest to get through. I'm using a mac and I can't seem to find a text edit app that is easy to utilize. (With be that shows all the invisible entries like returns and such). I've tried TextEdit (included in OS X), text wrangler, Xcode. I'm sure it's just a matter of some settings that I'm not formulae with.

HotwheelzMcG
January 5th, 2015, 22:15
I had that problem as well, it is a result of the crossbow bolt after it. The 1 1/2 lb if you change it to 1.5 it works. The fractions are the problem.

Good call. That totally fixed it. Now to just grind through the damn classes. Wish the 5E basic rules parser did the classes. It has pretty much everything else. lol

HotwheelzMcG
January 6th, 2015, 18:47
I could really use some help. These classes are such a pitfall. Can't even get the first one done. Can someone look over this and tell me where I've gone wrong?

It hangs on "make : backgrounds windowlists"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B57Y3UYoNNyUcEo4eUxhZFFYSUE/view?usp=sharing

Halma
January 6th, 2015, 20:12
I could really use some help. These classes are such a pitfall. Can't even get the first one done. Can someone look over this and tell me where I've gone wrong?

Your class file looks just like mine and Im having the same issues.

what is the "/n" that others are talking about is that something that needs to be added to the class.txt file as well?

OneSidedDie
January 6th, 2015, 20:56

Cleric levels table, level 6. You have a colon terminating the row instead of a semicolon.
Don't try to format HP, hit dice, etc. It already knows what to do with those lines.
Oh, and try making the first row empty so "##;Cleric" is on line two.

MaxisDB
January 6th, 2015, 22:21
Would like to get a second (or more) set of eyes looking at this. All of my other races parse just fine, but can't get half orc to do it.. can anyone catch any errors?

Here's the 2 errors Par5e kicks out.
Parse : race .................................................. ..................... [Half-orc - WARNING]
Write : module xml syntax .................................................. ...... [Mal Formed - WARNING]

##;Half-orc
<i>The warchief Mhurren roused himself from his sleeping-furs and his women and pulled a short hauberk of heavy steel rings over his thick, well-muscled torso. He usually rose before most of his warriors, since he had a strong streak of human blood in him, and he found the daylight less bothersome than most of his tribe did. Among the Bloody Skulls, a warrior was judged by his strength, his fierceness, and his wits. Human ancestry was no blemish against a warrior—provided he was every bit as strong, enduring, and bloodthirsty as his full-blooded kin. Halforcs who were weaker than their orc comrades didn't last long among the Bloody Skulls or any other orc tribe for that matter. But it was often true that a bit of human blood gave a warrior just the right mix of cunning, ambition, and self-discipline to go far indeed, as Mhurren had. He was master of a tribe that could muster two thousand spears, and the strongest chief in Thar.</i>
—Richard Baker, Swordmage

Whether united under the leadership of a mighty warlock or having fought to a standstill after years of conflict, orc and human tribes sometimes form alliances, joining forces into a larger horde to the terror of civilized lands nearby. When these alliances are sealed by marriages, half-orcs are born. Some half-orcs rise to become proud chiefs of orc tribes, their human blood giving them an edge over their full-blooded orc rivals. Some venture into the world to prove their worth among humans and other more civilized races. Many of these become adventurers, achieving greatness for their mighty deeds and notoriety for their barbaric customs and savage fury.
#h;Scarred and Strong
Half-orcs’ grayish pigmentation, sloping foreheads, jutting jaws, prominent teeth, and towering builds make their orcish heritage plain for all to see. Half-orcs stand between 6 and 7 feet tall and usually weigh between 180 and 250 pounds.
Orcs regard battle scars as tokens of pride and ornamental scars as things of beauty. Other scars, though, mark an orc or half-orc as a former slave or a disgraced exile. Any half-orc who has lived among or near orc s has scars, whether they are marks of humiliation or of pride, recounting their past exploits and injuries. Such a half-orc living among humans might display these scars proudly or hide them in shame.
#h;The Mark of Gruumsh
The one-eyed god Gruumsh created the orcs, and even those orcs who turn away from his worship can’t fully escape his influence. The same is true of half-orcs, though their human blood moderates the impact of their orcish heritage. Some half-orcs hear the whispers of Gruumsh in their dreams, calling them to unleash the rage that simmers within them. Others feel Gruumsh’s exultation when they join in melee combat—and either exult along with him or shiver with fear and loathing. Half-orcs are not evil by nature, but evil does lurk within them, whether they embrace it or rebel against it.
Beyond the rage of Gruumsh, half-orcs feel emotion powerfully. Rage doesn’t just quicken their pulse, it makes their bodies burn. An insult stings like acid, and sadness saps their strength. But they laugh loudly and heartily, and simple bodily pleasures—feasting, drinking, wrestling, drumming, and wild dancing—fill their hearts with joy. They tend to be short-tempered and sometimes sullen, more inclined to action than contemplation and to fighting than arguing. The most accomplished half-orcs are those with enough self control to get by in a civilized land.
#h;Tribes and Slums
Half-orcs most often live among orcs. Of the other races, humans are most likely to accept half-orcs, and halforcs almost always live in human lands when not living among orc tribes. Whether proving themselves among rough barbarian tribes or scrabbling to survive in the slums of larger cities, half-orcs get by on their physical might, their endurance, and the sheer determination they inherit from their human ancestry.
#h;Half-Orc Names
Half-orcs usually have names appropriate to the culture in which they were raised. A half-orc who wants to fit in among humans might trade an orc name for a human name. Some half-orcs with human names decide to adopt a guttural orc name because they think it makes them more intimidating.
<b>Male Orc Names:</b> Dench, Feng, Gell, Henk, Holg, Imsh, Keth, Krusk, Mhurren, Ront, Shump, Thokk
<b>Female Orc Names:</b> Baggi, Emen, Engong, Kansif, Myev, Neega, Ovak, Ownka, Shautha, Sutha, Vola, Volen, Yevelda
<b>----------------------------------------------------</b>
#bp;Grudging Acceptance
Each half-orc finds a way to gain acceptance from those who hate orcs. Some are reserved, trying not to draw attention to themselves. A few demonstrate piety and good-heartedness as publicly as they can (whether or not such demonstrations are genuine). And some simply try to be so tough that others just avoid them.
<b>----------------------------------------------------</b>
#h;Half-Orc Traits
Your half-orc character has certain traits deriving from your ore ancestry. hate orcs. Some are reserved, trying not to draw attention to themselves. A few demonstrate piety and good-heartedness as publicly as they can (whether or not such demonstrations are genuine). And some simply try to be so tough that others just avoid them.
#!;Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.
#!;Age. Half-orcs mature a little faster than humans, reaching adulthood around age 14. They age noticeably faster and rarely live longer than 75 years.
#!;Alignment. Half-orcs inherit a tendency toward chaos from their orc parents and are not strongly inclined toward good. Half-orcs raised among ores and willing to live out their lives among them are usually evil.
#!;Size. Half-orcs are somewhat larger and bulkier than humans, and they range from 5 to well over 6 feet tall. Your size is Medium.
#!;Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
#!;Darkvision. Thanks to your orc blood, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it w ere dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
#!;Menacing. You gain proficiency in the Intimidation skill.
#!;Relentless Endurance. When you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest.
#!;Savage Attacks. When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.
#!;Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Orc. Orc is a harsh, grating language with hard consonants. It has no script of its own but is written in the Dwarvish script.

Halma
January 6th, 2015, 23:58

Looks like I finally figured out what was wrong with my Class.txt. I had 2 lines that had the wrong syntax "," instead of the correct ";". As soon as I went through my Class.txt with a fine tooth comb I am now able to parse over my classes. Thanks for the help guys.

OneSidedDie
January 7th, 2015, 00:47
MaxisDB: Try an upper case "O" in ##;Half-Orc

p.s.
In #!;Darkvision. you have an extra space in "w ere dim light". It won't stop it from parsing but, aesthetics.

MaxisDB
January 7th, 2015, 03:35
Thanks.. that fixed the error with the Half-Orc entry, but I'm still getting the Module XML Syntax error.

Found the issue.. it was the <i></i> tags..

Rosie
January 7th, 2015, 05:21
My backgrounds all work *happy dance*
so now I am working on Class. I have 3 marked up, and I am trying to parse them. But it seems the parser has stopped after the backgrounds.

Info : module .................................................. ............................... [5e phb]
Parse : background .................................................. .................... [Acolyte - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................. [Charlatan - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ................... [Criminal - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ................ [Entertainer - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................. [Folk Hero - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .............. [Guild Artisan - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ..................... [Hermit - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ...................... [Noble - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................. [OUTLANDER - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ....................... [Sage - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ..................... [Sailor - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................... [Soldier - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ..................... [Urchin - OK]
Parse : backgrounds .................................................. ....................... [Completed]
Make : backgrounds windowlists .................................................. ........... [Completed]

now it is just sitting there...

when i do just the backgrounds i get:
Info : module .................................................. ............................... [5e phb]
Parse : background .................................................. .................... [Acolyte - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................. [Charlatan - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ................... [Criminal - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ................ [Entertainer - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................. [Folk Hero - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .............. [Guild Artisan - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ..................... [Hermit - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ...................... [Noble - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................. [OUTLANDER - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ....................... [Sage - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ..................... [Sailor - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................... [Soldier - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ..................... [Urchin - OK]
Parse : backgrounds .................................................. ....................... [Completed]
Make : backgrounds windowlists .................................................. ........... [Completed]
Parse : tables .................................................. ............................ [Completed]
Make : tables windowlists .................................................. ................ [Completed]
Make : tables (campaign) .................................................. ................. [Completed]
Make : tables (reference) .................................................. ................ [Completed]
Make : backgrounds (reference) .................................................. ........... [Completed]
Make : module xml library entries .................................................. ........ [Completed]
Write : module xml data .................................................. ................... [Completed]
Write : module xml syntax .................................................. ............... [Well Formed]
Write : module xml definition .................................................. ............. [Completed]
Write : copying module images .................................................. ............. [Completed]
Write : copying module tokens .................................................. ............. [Completed]
Write : copying module thumbnail .................................................. .......... [Completed]
Cook : module archive .................................................. .................... [Completed]
Build : module .................................................. ............................ [Completed]

so i seem to have something hanging it up.... any suggestions?

*my class file only has the barbarian in it.

OneSidedDie
January 7th, 2015, 14:33
Thanks.. that fixed the error with the Half-Orc entry, but I'm still getting the Module XML Syntax error.

Found the issue.. it was the <i></i> tags..

Try #ip;
It should italicize the whole paragraph.

OneSidedDie
January 7th, 2015, 14:53
My backgrounds all work *happy dance*
so now I am working on Class. I have 3 marked up, and I am trying to parse them. But it seems the parser has stopped after the backgrounds.

now it is just sitting there...

when i do just the backgrounds i get:

i seem to have something hanging it up.... any suggestions?

*my class file only has the barbarian in it.

Go ahead and post your barbarian in a code block and I'll take a look.

HotwheelzMcG
January 7th, 2015, 15:24
Cleric levels table, level 6. You have a colon terminating the row instead of a semicolon.
Don't try to format HP, hit dice, etc. It already knows what to do with those lines.
Oh, and try making the first row empty so "##;Cleric" is on line two.

Finally. Thanks, the main issue was as you said, my formating of the hit dice, armor, equipment, etc. fields. Removed the <b>...<b/> commands and the #bp; and it worked great. Thanks.

Rosie
January 7th, 2015, 17:40
Here is my Barbarian block.. thank you for looking.. I have spent a long time trying to find my error... which I am sure I have.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y69whet50z64x9f/class.zip?dl=0

Thank you again

Rosie

OneSidedDie
January 7th, 2015, 19:13
Barbarian level table, level 20. Needs to have a semicolon before unlimited.
Hit points, proficiencies. Remove #bp; as anything shown in the parse document should appear as shown with no additions.
Rage, unarmored defense (style choice). I feel these should be a feature #fe;Rage;1
#abf;Spirit Seeker missing the level designation ;3

That's all I spotted on my first go through. Let me know if it works.

HotwheelzMcG
January 7th, 2015, 19:15
Is there not a way to setup fighting style so that you can just drag and drop the chosen attribute to your character sheet and have it apply the effects. Example: if you selected archery, you would just drag and drop it to your feats and it would add that bonus to your ranged weapon attacks.

OneSidedDie
January 7th, 2015, 19:39
No, none of the feats/features actually do anything from the character sheet. You will want to make use of effects.
You can make an effect that gets close:

Archery master;ATK: 2 ranged

The downside is it will work with ranged attack spells when the fighting style only works as written with weapon attacks.

HotwheelzMcG
January 7th, 2015, 20:32
No, none of the feats/features actually do anything from the character sheet. You will want to make use of effects.
You can make an effect that gets close:

Archery master;ATK: 2 ranged

The downside is it will work with ranged attack spells when the fighting style only works as written with weapon attacks.

Roger that, so baisically its best to go add the midifire bonus to the actual attack/damage (as applicable) options (magnifine glass on the weapon itself).

OneSidedDie
January 7th, 2015, 21:46
That's what I do, unless its an effect that covers every case, like fire resistance or something.

There is an editable google doc with some common effects for 5e: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dctEkBftJFivXBYBQ3cQPqDyRuRr6KNcGwTf9oQ2YzU/edit?usp=sharing

Rosie
January 7th, 2015, 23:47
OneSidedDie,

still not working.. This is driving me nuts...

thanks for the help.

Thegroo
January 8th, 2015, 01:28
OneSidedDie,

still not working.. This is driving me nuts...

thanks for the help.

You must remove the #bp; in front of Equipment

FSHSchmo
January 8th, 2015, 03:03
I have moved on to parsing NPCs and seem to have issues on each one but I can generally find them (having spaces with ft, etc) but these last two are kicking my arse... Can someone take a peak.

Bugbear
Medium humanoid (goblinoid), chaotic evil
Armor Class 16 (hide armor, shield)
Hit Points 27 (5d8 + 5)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
15 (+2) 14 (+2) 13 (+1) 8 (-1) 11 (+0) 9 (-1)
Skills Stealth +6, Survival +2
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages Common, Goblin
Challenge l (200 XP)
Brute. When the bugbear hits with a melee weapon attack, the attack deals one extra die of the weapon's damage to the target (included below).
Surprise Attack. If the bugbear surprises a creature and hits it with an attack during the first round of combat, the target takes an extra 7 (2d6) damage from the attack.
ACTIONS
Morningstar. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d8 + 2) piercing damage.
Javelin. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 30 ft./120 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage, or 9 (2d6 + 2) piercing damage in melee.
##;
Bugbears are cruel and unruly humanoids that live to bully the weak and dislike being bossed around. Despite their intimidating builds, bugbears move with surprising stealth and are fond of setting ambushes.

Commoner
Medium humanoid (any race), any alignment
Armor Class l0
Hit Points 4 (ld8)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0)
Senses passive Perception 10
Languages any one (usually Common)
Challenge 0 (l0 XP)
ACTIONS
Club. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 2 (ld4) bludgeoning damage.
##;
Commoners include peasants and serfs, slaves and servants, pilgrims, merchants, artisans, and hermits.

Rosie
January 8th, 2015, 03:18
You are all wounderful people... thank you... Now on to correcting the next 2 classes... now that i know what i did wrong...

thank you
thank you
thank you

Rosie

Xorn
January 8th, 2015, 04:13
FSHSchomo: The Bugbears Challenge is an L instead of a 1. Hit Points on the Commoner is an Ld8 instead of 1d8. Commoner XP is L0 instead of 10. Club damage is Ld4 instead of 1d4

Basically you have a lot of L's instead of 1's. :)

FSHSchmo
January 8th, 2015, 05:26
FSHSchomo: The Bugbears Challenge is an L instead of a 1. Hit Points on the Commoner is an Ld8 instead of 1d8. Commoner XP is L0 instead of 10. Club damage is Ld4 instead of 1d4

Basically you have a lot of L's instead of 1's. :)

That did the trick! When parsing npcs such as wizards with spells listed is there a way to have it form a list instead of all jumbled up? I tried to put them in a #li; but it just included that in the text. Also can it link to the spell to drag/drop like an attack?

Rosie
January 8th, 2015, 05:38
I saw someone having problems with Equipment. It was in relation to ammo. So I am at that point myself, and I am confused on the problem.
Crossbow, hand;75 gp;1d6 piercing;3 lb.;Ammunition (range 30/120), light, loading;
Crossbow, heavy;50 gp;1d10 piercing;18 lb.;Ammunition (range 100/400), heavy, loading, two-handed;

#@;ADVENTURING GEAR
#th;Item;Cost;Weight;
#st;Adventuring Gear
Abacus;2 gp;2 lb.;
Acid (vial);25 gp;1 lb.;
Alchemist's fire (flask);50 gp;1 lb.;
#st;Ammunition
Arrows (20);1 gp;1 lb.;
#st;Adventuring Gear

do i remove the ammo reference in the blowgun, crossbow... etc lines, or do i remove the list of ammo. (bots and darts)?

Thanks

Rosie

FSHSchmo
January 8th, 2015, 06:10
@Rosie this is what I have and it parsed ok. After the #st; info you do a #st;Standard and list the rest

#@;Adventuring Gear
#th;Item;Cost;Weight
#st;Ammunition
Arrows (20);1 gp;1 lb.
Blowgun needles (50);1 gp;1 lb.
Crossbow bolts (20);1 gp;1 1/2 lb.
Sling bullets (20);4 cp;1 1/2 lb.
#st;Arcane focus
Crystal;10 gp;1 lb.
Orb;20 gp;3 lb.
Rod;10 gp;2 lb.
Staff;5 gp;4 lb.
Wand;10 gp;1 lb.
#st;Druidic focus
Sprig of mistletoe;1 gp;—
Totem;1 gp;—
Wooden staff;5 gp;4 lb.
Yew wand;10 gp;1 lb.
#st;Equipment Packs
Burglar’s Pack;16 gp;10 lb.
Diplomat's Pack;39 gp;10 lb.
Dungeoneer’s Pack;12 gp;10 lb.
Entertainer’s Pack;40 gp;10 lb.
Explorer’s Pack;10 gp;10 lb.
Priest’s Pack;19 gp;10 lb.
Scholar’s Pack;40 gp;10 lb.
#st;Holy symbol
Amulet;5 gp;1 lb.
Emblem;5 gp;—
Reliquary;5 gp;2 lb.

Thegroo
January 8th, 2015, 10:00
I saw someone having problems with Equipment. It was in relation to ammo. So I am at that point myself, and I am confused on the problem.

#@;ADVENTURING GEAR
#th;Item;Cost;Weight;
#st;Adventuring Gear
Abacus;2 gp;2 lb.;
Acid (vial);25 gp;1 lb.;
#st;Ammunition
Arrows (20);1 gp;1 lb.;
#st;Adventuring Gear

do i remove the ammo reference in the blowgun, crossbow... etc lines, or do i remove the list of ammo. (bots and darts)?

Thanks

Rosie

Change
to
Crossbow bolts (20);1 gp;1.5 lb.;
Sling bullets (20);4 cp;1.5 lb.;

tlavalle
January 8th, 2015, 10:15
ok i have a problem witht he wild magic surge tabl not showing up under the sorceror correctly, it show "New table" in the name and it is unlocked.

Xorn
January 8th, 2015, 14:15

#@;ADVENTURING GEAR
#th;Item;Cost;Weight;
#st;Adventuring Gear
Abacus;2 gp;2 lb.;
Acid (vial);25 gp;1 lb.;
#st;Ammunition
Arrows (20);1 gp;1 lb.;
#st;Adventuring Gear

Thanks

Rosie

Just make one #st;Standard line and put all the standard equipment under it. The actual equipment chart doesn't have a "Standard" sub-heading, so it's not quite intuitive there.