PDA

View Full Version : Project: Par5e

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

Weepdrag
March 8th, 2016, 01:29
Thanks Zacchaeus,
I've been shutting down FG after each test and deleting both the module and the output folder content. When I try to do just one entry as I posted, I still get a blank window in FG. Again the XML looks good, doesn't produce any errors. I've tried using the preceding bracket and without with the same result. Capitalization doesn't appear to make a difference in the header, tried all caps, first letter cap only, etc. Tried ending data line with semicolon and without, no change.

Thanks again

Stitched
March 10th, 2016, 04:54
Downloaded latest par5e version and tried creating a module for all the NPCs for "Against the Slavelords" (the PDF published by Wizards).

I select the entire text of the PDF and paste it into Notepad++ and save out a file "input/npcs.txt"
Run the parser and it creates the module without errors
I can load the module inside of FG2 and it displayed an NPC link
Clicking the NPC link, there is nothing there.

???

Zacchaeus
March 10th, 2016, 11:38
Juts in case we are not on the same page:

The text file should be called just npcs.txt and should be in the input folder. I think that's what you are saying you did but I wasn't sure so thought I'd mention it.

Now, I'm not sure exactly what your problem is. You say you have copied the entire text of the pdf into a file called npcs.txt, but only NPCs should go in that file. Story entries should be in the story.txt file, items in equipment.txt files etc. And what link isn't working a link from a story entry to an npc? Or clicking on a list of NPCs in the NPCs dialog? How did you par5se everything? i.e. as a campaign (Cmp) or reference manual (Ref)? Also did you put everything into .txt files before you attempted to par5e it? or did you do it in small bits at a time? If the latter at what point did it stop parsing correctly?

Sorry, but you haven't given me a lot to work on; can you be more specific as to what you have done and what the problem is?

Stitched
March 10th, 2016, 16:05
Juts in case we are not on the same page:

The text file should be called just npcs.txt and should be in the input folder. I think that's what you are saying you did but I wasn't sure so thought I'd mention it.

Now, I'm not sure exactly what your problem is. You say you have copied the entire text of the pdf into a file called npcs.txt, but only NPCs should go in that file. Story entries should be in the story.txt file, items in equipment.txt files etc. And what link isn't working a link from a story entry to an npc? Or clicking on a list of NPCs in the NPCs dialog? How did you par5se everything? i.e. as a campaign (Cmp) or reference manual (Ref)? Also did you put everything into .txt files before you attempted to par5e it? or did you do it in small bits at a time? If the latter at what point did it stop parsing correctly?

Sorry, but you haven't given me a lot to work on; can you be more specific as to what you have done and what the problem is?

I copied the text from the PDF and pasted it into a file called npcs.txt (in an input folder). The text itself is just the 5e monster stats published by WoTC.

It's the only file I am trying to parse - no story, no equipment, etc.

When I add the mod in FG (which DOES appear), it shows an NPC link associated to it, but clicking that NPC link, it shows no NPC stats - this is the problem.

The parser doesnt stop parsing or throw any errors.

Ideas?

Varsuuk
March 10th, 2016, 16:26
Z will give you more details and options, but one thing to try right off quickly is:

Copy the pcs.txt file you created and edit it so that it contains only the first NPC entry.
Par5e that and see if it works.

If it does, use the standard...add half of the remaining. If works add half of remaining...until doesn't work.

Then on the doesn't work portion you just added, take half and repeat until you know which entry is failing. There may b more than one but we concern ourselves with one at time.

If the first single one didn't work, we'll post that and we can look at it.

astromath
March 10th, 2016, 16:26
I'm also having a problem with the equipment file (gives "name of item" - WARNING). And it stops parsing after Make : parcels (campaign) .................................................. ................ [Completed]
In other words it is not doing Make : story (campaign)...[Completed] or Make : tables (campaign)...[Completed]

I'm attaching the associated files and the property file in a zip folder for the adventure.

I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong.

zeracool2k
March 10th, 2016, 16:52
astromath, a quick look to your tables.txt file shows that you are using ":" instead of ";" in your links ( #zl; ), perhaps that is the problem.

Zacchaeus
March 10th, 2016, 17:58
I copied the text from the PDF and pasted it into a file called npcs.txt (in an input folder). The text itself is just the 5e monster stats published by WoTC.

It's the only file I am trying to parse - no story, no equipment, etc.

When I add the mod in FG (which DOES appear), it shows an NPC link associated to it, but clicking that NPC link, it shows no NPC stats - this is the problem.

The parser doesnt stop parsing or throw any errors.

Ideas?

What Varsuuk says and I've sent you a PM

Zacchaeus
March 10th, 2016, 18:13
I'm also having a problem with the equipment file (gives "name of item" - WARNING). And it stops parsing after Make : parcels (campaign) .................................................. ................ [Completed]
In other words it is not doing Make : story (campaign)...[Completed] or Make : tables (campaign)...[Completed]

I'm attaching the associated files and the property file in a zip folder for the adventure.

I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong.

You've missed out the #st; tag in the equipment file. So change things to this
#@;Adventuring Gear
#th;Item;Cost;Weight
#st;Gems
Gems 1;200 gp;-
Gems 2;60 gp;-
#st;Art Object
Art Objects;1000 gp;-
#st;Jewelry
Drow Jewelry;300 gp;-
etc

You don't need the #th; every time. Use #st; to change to a different category

EDIT: see also the next post too.

Zacchaeus
March 10th, 2016, 18:42
Astromath: A couple of other points; in the story.txt file in the paragraph entitled Escaped Slaves there's an errant <b/> rather than </b> which will malform your xml code. Additionally in the section Rothe Pastures change all instances of rothe with an acute above the 'e' to just rothe. Par5e doesn't like accents and it won't par5e.
Also you'll need to number your story entries in the story.txt file otherwise they will appear in alphabetical order (So ##;1.00, ##1.01, ##1.03 etc And for chapter 2 2.00, 2.01 etc you get the idea. Basically wherever there's a ##; you want to follow it with the next sequential number.)

Your tables are fine as they are by the way.

Stitched
March 11th, 2016, 04:24
Oh. I guess I need to add those strange character tags in the text lines? I can't just import text from a PDF?

damned
March 11th, 2016, 04:37
Stitched...

Did you read the manual?
Did you read any of the other 225 pages of this thread?
Are you parsing NPCs from a 1e module and just expecting that Par5e will know what to do with them?
Par5e cannot perform miracles - it needs to know EXACTLY what every line that you are inputting is meant to be and it has to be in exactly the right format.
The funny codes tell Par5e what to do with each line. Without them you will get exactly nothing or a blank file.

Stitched
March 11th, 2016, 04:41
Stitched...

Did you read the manual?
Did you read any of the other 225 pages of this thread?
Are you parsing NPCs from a 1e module and just expecting that Par5e will know what to do with them?
Par5e cannot perform miracles - it needs to know EXACTLY what every line that you are inputting is meant to be and it has to be in exactly the right format.
The funny codes tell Par5e what to do with each line. Without them you will get exactly nothing or a blank file.

It's not a 1e module - it's specifically a 5e version of monsters FOR a 1e module that WoTC released.
I read on another thread that you could, and he used that PDF as the example, copy and paste the text from that file and it should parse. If I have to add special characters for each line so par5e understands it, I guess I will input the 77 some odd pages of monster stats by hand. Seems oddly faster to copy/pasta from the PDF that way...

damned
March 11th, 2016, 04:46
It's not a 1e module - it's specifically a 5e version of monsters FOR a 1e module that WoTC released.
I read on another thread that you could, and he used that PDF as the example, copy and paste the text from that file and it should parse. If I have to add special characters for each line so par5e understands it, I guess I will input the 77 some odd pages of monster stats by hand. Seems oddly faster to copy/pasta from the PDF that way...

Thank you. Im at work and I couldnt search on whether there was a 5e release of that module.

Par5e is cumbersome to learn but if you do learn it you will find it very efficient - but only if used correctly. Strangely you may even find it kind of relaxing... until it goes wrong.
If you want to use Par5e you have to commit to learning it first and then once you understand what you need to do you will be quite efficient.
You can also easily add/update your modules by rerunning Par5e over your input files which is a really useful feature.

Or do it manually! :)

Stitched
March 11th, 2016, 05:00
Damned,

The PDF for the Bestiary is here (https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjG_4u87LfLAhUU5WMKHZibD8QQFggsMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisterian.net%2Fdnd5e%2FPrere lease%2520Packet%2FAdventures%2520and%2520Pre-Gens%2FOlder%2520Playtest%2520Adventures%2520and%2 520Bestiaries%2FAgainst%2520the%2520Slave%2520Lord s%2520Bestiary.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFLmB9vqujmD2JIHNmlGwaTW19BGw&sig2=9cx1cOfm3mnRvQmnoMCpJQ)

The way they worded/formatted it would require a lot of reformatting of the source - for 77 pages of Monsters, this is adding additional work than entering things directly into Fantasy Grounds; especially NPCs who use spells (which from the Docs, looks like you cannot/isn't listed as available to NPC parses).

Not a slight. I am sure par5e is really great if things are closely formatted to how par5e wants things to be. I entered a light one-shot module, with creatures, fairly quickly manually; albeit is was only 7 pages.

Eagerly await the ability to buy a Fantasy Ground version of Fifth Edition Foes!

damned
March 11th, 2016, 05:24
Thanks Stitched.

Stitched
March 11th, 2016, 05:27
Thanks Stitched.

I reformatted an NPC entry, according to the docs, and it's still coming in empty. Module gets written to the right folder and shows up in the Reference Library. Just empty text ...

Adhu Nazaryet, Hobgoblin Shaman
Medium Humanoid (Goblinoid), Lawful Evil
Armor Class 18 (chain mail, shield)
Hit Points 33 (6d8 + 6);
Speed 25 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA 13 (+1) 10 (+0) 12 (+1) 10 (+0) 14 (+2) 13 (+1)
Senses Darkvision 50 ft.
Languages Common, Goblin
Challenge 5 (XP 300)
Channel Divinity—Divine Wrath [2/day]. When Adhu
hits with a morningstar attack, he can expend a use of
this trait to deal 11 (2d10) extra damage.
Steadfast. Adhu cannot be frightened while he can see a
friendly creature within 30 feet of him that also has this
trait.
Spellcasting. Adhu has the following spells (save DC 14;
+4 to attack).
ACTIONS
Morningstar. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit (reach 6 ft.; one
creature). Hit: 5 (1d8 + 1) piercing damage.

##;

damned
March 11th, 2016, 06:03
you have descriptions for AC after the #
Your longer descriptions wrap lines which signals something different to Par5e

Stitched
March 11th, 2016, 06:14
you have descriptions for AC after the #
Your longer descriptions wrap lines which signals something different to Par5e

Armor Class 18
Hit Points 33 (6d8 + 6);
Speed 25 ft.
Senses Darkvision 50 ft.
Languages Common, Goblin
Challenge 5 (XP 300)
Channel Divinity—Divine Wrath [2/day]. When Adhu hits with a morningstar attack, he can expend a use of this trait to deal 11 (2d10) extra damage.
Steadfast. Adhu cannot be frightened while he can see a friendly creature within 30 feet of him that also has this trait.
Spellcasting. Adhu has the following spells (save DC 14; +4 to attack).
ACTIONS
Morningstar. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit (reach 6 ft.; one creature). Hit: 5 (1d8 + 1) piercing damage.
##;
Cantrips: guidance, resistance
1st Level (3/day): cure wounds, detect magic, healing
word, inflict wounds
2nd Level (2/day): spiritual weapon
3rd Level (2/day): dispel magic, prayer

------
Better? Above still gives empty module in FG.

spite
March 11th, 2016, 09:36
A few things I can see that may give errors, the ";" after the hit dice
the ";" after the reach 6 ft., the ";" after the save DC 14, and the square brackets around the 2/day. Try removing those and seeing how it works.

Zacchaeus
March 11th, 2016, 11:41
Stitched

Here's a corrected text for you.

Hit Points 33 (6d8 + 6)
Speed 25 ft.
Senses Darkvision 50 ft.
Languages Common, Goblin
Challenge 5 (300 XP)
Channel Divinity Divine Wrath 2/day. When Adhu hits with a morningstar attack, he can expend a use of this trait to deal 11 (2d10) extra damage.
Steadfast. Adhu cannot be frightened while he can see a friendly creature within 30 feet of him that also has this trait.
Spellcasting. Adhu is a spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is wisdom (spell save DC 14; +4 to hit with spell attack). He can cast the the following spells: \rCantrips: guidance, resistance \r1st Level (3 slots): cure wounds, detect magic, healing word, inflict wounds \r2nd Level (2 slots): spiritual weapon \r3rd Level (2 slots): dispel magic, prayer
ACTIONS
Morningstar. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 6 ft., one creature. Hit: 5 (1d8 + 1) piercing damage.

Note the changes made are; removed ';''s as spite says above as well as the square brackets. Also the XP was showing as (XP 300) instead of (300 XP). Note also the format for the spells; these must be all on one line, the text must be exactly as shown and the \r's included exactly as shown in order for FG to automatically pick up on the spell names, the save DC and the to hit.
I have tested this out and the file will par5e. However there is no spell 'prayer' in 5e so that will never appear on the NPCs spell list in FG.
Ignore the one in the email I sent you. That one won't work because I was in too much of a hurry this morning and missed a couple of things.

EDIT: copy/pasting from a pdf can be a nightmare depending on the quality of the pdf. Furthermore I have yet to see an NPC from anything that I can simply copy paste and it is in the exactly correct format for par5ing. Having said that I will par5e my NPC's over manually entering them into FG any day. Once you know what you are doing and can spot where the potential errors are going to be it is a lot quicker and the NPCs are presented in a much nicer format too.

astromath
March 11th, 2016, 15:57
I have another problem. I'm trying to use a table to refer to the Madness in the DMG. This is what I have:

#ts;
#th;Level;Effect
#tr;1;#zl:tables:Short-Term Madness:Short-term madness (lasts 1d10 minutes)
#tr;2;#zl:tables:Long-Term Madness:Long-term madness (lasts 1d10 x 10 minutes)
#tr;3;#zl:tables:18 Madness of Graz'zt:Indefinite madness (lasts until cured)
#te;

#zl; doesn't seem to work, and neither does #zal;

Replacing the : with ; doesn't work either.

What am I doing wrong?

P.S.: I do have the DMG open at the same time as my module.

Zacchaeus
March 11th, 2016, 15:59
I have another problem. I'm trying to use a table to refer to the Madness in the DMG. This is what I have:

#ts;
#th;Level;Effect
#tr;1;#zl:tables:Short-Term Madness:Short-term madness (lasts 1d10 minutes)
#tr;2;#zl:tables:Long-Term Madness:Long-term madness (lasts 1d10 x 10 minutes)
#tr;3;#zl:tables:18 Madness of Graz'zt:Indefinite madness (lasts until cured)
#te;

#zl; doesn't seem to work, and neither does #zal;

Replacing the : with ; doesn't work either.

What am I doing wrong?

P.S.: I do have the DMG open at the same time as my module.

Short answer is that you can't do that in the public version of par5e. Sorry.

astromath
March 11th, 2016, 16:04
Stitched

Here's a corrected text for you.

Hit Points 33 (6d8 + 6)
Speed 25 ft.
Senses Darkvision 50 ft.
Languages Common, Goblin
Challenge 5 (300 XP)
Channel Divinity Divine Wrath 2/day. When Adhu hits with a morningstar attack, he can expend a use of this trait to deal 11 (2d10) extra damage.
Spellcasting. Adhu is a spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is wisdom (spell save DC 14; +4 to hit with spell attack). He can cast the the following spells: \rCantrips: guidance, resistance \r1st Level (3 slots): cure wounds, detect magic, healing word, inflict wounds \r2nd Level (2 slots): spiritual weapon \r3rd Level (2 slots): dispel magic, prayer
ACTIONS
Morningstar. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 6 ft., one creature. Hit: 5 (1d8 + 1) piercing damage.

Note the changes made are; removed ';''s as spite says above as well as the square brackets. Also the XP was showing as (XP 300) instead of (300 XP). Note also the format for the spells; these must be all on one line, the text must be exactly as shown and the \r's included exactly as shown in order for FG to automatically pick up on the spell names, the save DC and the to hit.
I have tested this out and the file will par5e. However there is no spell 'prayer' in 5e so that will never appear on the NPCs spell list in FG.
Ignore the one in the email I sent you. That one won't work because I was in too much of a hurry this morning and missed a couple of things.

EDIT: copy/pasting from a pdf can be a nightmare depending on the quality of the pdf. Furthermore I have yet to see an NPC from anything that I can simply copy paste and it is in the exactly correct format for par5ing. Having said that I will par5e my NPC's over manually entering them into FG any day. Once you know what you are doing and can spot where the potential errors are going to be it is a lot quicker and the NPCs are presented in a much nicer format too.

I had no problem copying and pasting npcs from the season 3 module I'm working on. Well, the only problem I have (and I still can't figure it out) is on spellcasters how to get their spell listing on their own line.

Example:

Spellcasting. ...

Cantrips: ...
1st level: ...
2nd level: ...

comes out as:

Spellcasting. ... Cantrips: ... 1st level: ... 2nd level: ...

astromath
March 11th, 2016, 16:06

Blast. I was hoping I wouldn't have to recreate the tables. Oh, well.

Zacchaeus
March 11th, 2016, 16:20
Blast. I was hoping I wouldn't have to recreate the tables. Oh, well.

You don't need to recreate the tables. Just create the link in FG before you export the module.

Zacchaeus
March 11th, 2016, 16:21
I had no problem copying and pasting npcs from the season 3 module I'm working on. Well, the only problem I have (and I still can't figure it out) is on spellcasters how to get their spell listing on their own line.

Example:

Spellcasting. ...

comes out as:

If you look at the spellcasting section of the posted NPC above (i.e the one you just quoted in your message) you'll see how to markup the spellcasting section so that it works the way you want it to. And I included an explanation in the paragraph below the NPC - which you also just quoted.

jshauber
March 11th, 2016, 16:24

Example:

Spellcasting. ...

comes out as:

You need the \r at the start of each group...

\rCantrips....\r1st level....\r2nd level....etc.

Don't leave a space between the \r and the word or it won't parse correctly from what I have seen.

astromath
March 11th, 2016, 17:04
You don't need to recreate the tables. Just create the link in FG before you export the module.

That was what I was trying to do in my table, link to the Madness sections of the DMG.

Zacchaeus
March 11th, 2016, 17:55
That was what I was trying to do in my table, link to the Madness sections of the DMG.

You misunderstand me. I don't mean link in parse but link in Fantasy Grounds. So create your module in Par5e; open up the module in Fantasy Grounds and then drag the link to the DMG table into wherever you want it to link to.

kp9911
March 12th, 2016, 12:07
Would just like to report something I noticed while re parsing the bard class modules today.

It has two colleges Lore and Valor, both of which have something called a proficiency bonus which is granted at level 3. If you have used the parsing tool, you might want to check what the description reads for this ability feature, currently both Lore and Valor have the same ability description (of the college of Valor) instead of having its own individual description.

Easy way to fix it is to name them differently such as

College of Lore Bonus Proficiency
College of Valor Bonus Proficiency

Zacchaeus
March 12th, 2016, 12:25
Would just like to report something I noticed while re parsing the bard class modules today.

It has two colleges Lore and Valor, both of which have something called a proficiency bonus which is granted at level 3. If you have used the parsing tool, you might want to check what the description reads for this ability feature, currently both Lore and Valor have the same ability description (of the college of Valor) instead of having its own individual description.

Easy way to fix it is to name them differently such as

College of Lore Bonus Proficiency
College of Valor Bonus Proficiency

Indeed, the PHB has them as Bonus Proficiency (Valor) and Bonus Proficiency (Lore), so looks like par5e doesn't pick up that they are different unless they have different descriptions.

Stitched
March 12th, 2016, 16:47
[B]Stitched

Thanks for the clarity. The ; symbol was in the documentation so I thought I had to include it (after Hitpoints...)
Looks like I need to write a Python parser to reformat the PDF entries to be par5e friendly before parsing them. :S
Gah!

Stitched
March 12th, 2016, 16:56
Ok. So I took the corrected entry and tried running it through Par5e and the NPC link is still empty. I suspect this is pathing issue so I will post how I have things set up.

I am running FG through Steam so my "FG Module Path" is: /ProgramData/Fantasy Grounds/modules
and my "Module Path" is a sub-folder of Par5e: /Downloads/PAR5E-windows/input/

I have set to /input/npcs.txt for output and ticked the box for "ref"

This writes out a mod file into my modules folder but, again, the ref entry is empty (no errors in Par5e).

Zacchaeus
March 12th, 2016, 17:43
Your 'Module path' should be Downloads/Par5e-windows/Name of your Module/

'Name of your Module' being a folder that you have created for the purpose of creating this module. Within the folder called 'Name of your Module' you should create a folder called 'input' and your npcs.txt file should be in that folder.

If that isn't how you have set things up then the rest of this post is redundant. However if you have set up correctly then read on...

So, just to clarify. When you open up Fantasy Grounds and go into Library and then modules you find the module you have created in there. Then you open that module and it appears in the left hand window of your library and when you click on it NPCs shows up on the right hand side of the library and when you then click on NPCs it opens up the NPCs window with NPCs- Alphabetical, CR and Class Index. And finally when you click on any one of these the NPC you have par5ed isn't there?

Other things to try; delete the module from your modules folder and repar5e; open up the modules folder (from within FG) and right click over the module and select 'revert changes' if it comes up in the context menu. Make sure that you have read/write permissions set for the FG data folder.

And before you do any of that check to see is Par5e actually finishing par5ing correctly. The last thing on the Console should be Make: Module. Does it do that?

Stitched
March 12th, 2016, 17:56
Your 'Module path' should be Downloads/Par5e-windows/Name of your Module/

'Name of your Module' being a folder that you have created for the purpose of creating this module. Within the folder called 'Name of your Module' you should create a folder called 'input' and your npcs.txt file should be in that folder.

Aaaaaand that was the magic key. NPC wrote a green text saying "Adhu Nazaryet..." and said "OK" so it looks like it parsed it.

Good stuff!

astromath
March 12th, 2016, 19:42
I'm having trouble with tokens. Your reference says to have the token folder in the input folder. It also says "Tokens can be linked to both the Campaign classes of 5E (under Personalities) and the Reference Library (NPC)." However, it does not say how they can be linked. Is it a #zl;? Or something else. I have all my npcs parsed correctly, just with no tokens.

Zacchaeus
March 12th, 2016, 19:51
Tokens must all be .png files and all stored in a folder called tokens which itself is inside the input folder.

Tokens must have the exact same name as the NPC and the name must all be lower case. Furthermore you may not have spaces in the names and any non space character must be replaced with a '_'.

Thus for an NPC called Bill the token must be bill.png. For Bill's Wife the token name must be bill_swife.png. When parsing the NPC you click the 'input/tokens' in the configuration menu and when you par5e it will automatically try to find a token for each NPC and put it in the right place on the NPC. You don't link tokens anywhere on the NPC; par5e does the linking internally.

astromath
March 12th, 2016, 20:58
So, what happens if I leave the token folder empty? When I have the tokens checked in par5e, it hangs up near the end. If I don't check the tokens in par5e, it parses fine. This tells me I'm doing something wrong.

Zacchaeus
March 12th, 2016, 22:34
So, what happens if I leave the token folder empty? When I have the tokens checked in par5e, it hangs up near the end. If I don't check the tokens in par5e, it parses fine. This tells me I'm doing something wrong.

Indeed, you are. Something is wrong with your tokens. If you want to have tokens then you need the folder and all of the tokens in that folder. If you don't want tokens then delete the tokens folder and don't tick the tokens in the configuration menu.

If you do want tokens and you have everything set up properly and you are absolutely sure that all the tokens are precisely correct and it still won't par5e then try deleting the 'output' folder and repar5e.

If that doesn't solve the issue try parsing just one NPC and one token. Then gradually add more until it fails. At what point does the parsing stop according to the console?

Varsuuk
March 13th, 2016, 05:02

I reiterated that I believe Mr Davison is missing out on a good revenue stream. A PAR5E which gets updates and supports these sort of features ;). I'd be buying it. Certainly be faster than writing my own, which I'd have to update to D&D 6.5e by the time I could finish it...

astromath
March 13th, 2016, 05:21
Indeed, you are. Something is wrong with your tokens. If you want to have tokens then you need the folder and all of the tokens in that folder. If you don't want tokens then delete the tokens folder and don't tick the tokens in the configuration menu.

If you do want tokens and you have everything set up properly and you are absolutely sure that all the tokens are precisely correct and it still won't par5e then try deleting the 'output' folder and repar5e.

If that doesn't solve the issue try parsing just one NPC and one token. Then gradually add more until it fails. At what point does the parsing stop according to the console?

Ok. Next question: Where do you find the tokens? I can't seem to find them in the FS data folder other than some sort of compressed file.

kp9911
March 13th, 2016, 06:42
Quick question, I am currently reparsing all the classes into individual modules which are kinda self contained. Currently I am at the Cleric.

I am making separate spell lists for the domains just like you would have Bard, druid etc. However the thing here is that clerics gain spells for their domains only at a certain level, ie 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th. I am able to parse the spell lists for the domains however when I check it out in FG, its contained under 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Is there any effective way to "skip" in between levels here? (https://imgur.com/TfANLEP)

Zacchaeus
March 13th, 2016, 10:20
Ok. Next question: Where do you find the tokens? I can't seem to find them in the FS data folder other than some sort of compressed file.

You have to create the tokens yourself.

Zacchaeus
March 13th, 2016, 10:29
Quick question, I am currently reparsing all the classes into individual modules which are kinda self contained. Currently I am at the Cleric.

I am making separate spell lists for the domains just like you would have Bard, druid etc. However the thing here is that clerics gain spells for their domains only at a certain level, ie 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th. I am able to parse the spell lists for the domains however when I check it out in FG, its contained under 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Is there any effective way to "skip" in between levels here? (https://imgur.com/TfANLEP)

Your screenshot is correct. The spells are obtained at the Cleric level shown. The spells are listed by spell level. So for example the Cleric gains the Level 5 Spell Legend Lore when the Cleric gets to Level 9

kp9911
March 13th, 2016, 12:05
Your screenshot is correct. The spells are obtained at the Cleric level shown. The spells are listed by spell level. So for example the Cleric gains the Level 5 Spell Legend Lore when the Cleric gets to Level 9

Oh!!! Thanks for clearing that up! :D

astromath
March 13th, 2016, 13:56
You have to create the tokens yourself.

Bah. That's an absolute pain in the rear. I have no artistic talent at all. I suppose I could the the tokens FG already has, drag them to some random map, screen shot it, then gimp the token by cropping it down to size, then resaving it as a png file. What a pain. I wish there was a way to refer to the tokens FG already has. Oh, well. I guess I'll have to leave the tokens out then and drag them directly from the MM whenever I need a token.

Zacchaeus
March 13th, 2016, 14:26
You could use something like tokentool (https://www.rptools.net/toolbox/token-tool/) to create tokens using the million and one pictures you can find on the internet by googling 'fantasy portraits (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fonatsy+portraits&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=OmjlVryDEIutaYqIlHg#q=fantasy+portraits)' or some such. Or you could use the simple letter tokens that come with FG; just rename the .mod file to .zip and unzip it to get at the letters or numbers. You could also have a look at the Tokens thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?91-Tokens) on the forum here and on other websites (https://rpgmapshare.com/) where you'll find a million (https://www.dundjinni.com/) free tokens (https://www.deviantart.com/). It just takes a little patience and research to find them

astromath
March 13th, 2016, 16:10
You could use something like tokentool (https://www.rptools.net/toolbox/token-tool/) to create tokens using the million and one pictures you can find on the internet by googling 'fantasy portraits (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fonatsy+portraits&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=OmjlVryDEIutaYqIlHg#q=fantasy+portraits)' or some such. Or you could use the simple letter tokens that come with FG; just rename the .mod file to .zip and unzip it to get at the letters or numbers. You could also have a look at the Tokens thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?91-Tokens) on the forum here and on other websites (https://rpgmapshare.com/) where you'll find a million (https://www.dundjinni.com/) free tokens (https://www.deviantart.com/). It just takes a little patience and research to find them

I've tried renaming the .mod to .zip. Doesn't work. It stays a .mod file. In other words, it is now token.zip.mod which doesn't unzip. I've also tried changing it through the properties tab. Also doesn't work.

Other suggestions: good to know.

astromath
March 13th, 2016, 16:22
On a different note: There's something wrong with my equipment file. FG shows the dragonhead and equipment, but clicking on the equipment brings up some sort of error with a blank equipment box. However, my parcels file references the equipment just fine.

Here's what I have:

#@;ADVENTURING GEAR
#th;Item;Cost;Weight
#st;Gemstone
Gems 1;200 gp;-
Gems 2;60 gp;-
#st;Art Object
Art Objects;1000 gp;-
#st;Jewelry
Drow Jewelry;300 gp;-
#st;Spellbook
Spider-Hide Spellbook;-;5 lb.
#st;Treasure
Treasure 1;2000 gp;-
Treasure 2;1000 gp;-

Gems 1. 200g in gems
Gems 2. 60gp in gems
Treasure 1. 2,000gp in gold, gems, and pieces of art
Treasure 2. 1,000gp in ceremonial items, rare metals, and finely-crafted warhammers
Spider-Hide Spellbook.
\rA small, traveling spellbook bound in spider-hide. It contains the following spells:
\r<b>2nd level:</b> <i>web</i>, <i>levitate</i>, <i>darkness</i>
\r<b>3rd level:</b> <i>gaseous form</i>
\r<b>4th level:</b> <i>Evard's black tentacles</i>, <i>arcane eye</i>
\r<b>5th level:</b> <i>passwall</i>

I've even tried changing the #st to Standard and it still doesn't work.

P.S. The <b></b> and <i></i> tags don't seem to work in the equipment file. Otherwise than that, the spellbook comes up just fine when referenced from the parcels file.

Zacchaeus
March 13th, 2016, 16:57
I've tried renaming the .mod to .zip. Doesn't work. It stays a .mod file. In other words, it is now token.zip.mod which doesn't unzip. I've also tried changing it through the properties tab. Also doesn't work.

Other suggestions: good to know.

Sounds like you have file name extensions hidden. If you have Win 10 open up a folder, click on view and tick the 'file name extension' tick box. Now all your files should show the full name of the file including the extension. Now right click on the file, select rename and delete the .mod and replace it with .zip. I can't recall how you show file extensions in other OS's but I'm sure you can figure it out.

Zacchaeus
March 13th, 2016, 17:08
On a different note: There's something wrong with my equipment file. FG shows the dragonhead and equipment, but clicking on the equipment brings up some sort of error with a blank equipment box. However, my parcels file references the equipment just fine.

Here's what I have:

#@;ADVENTURING GEAR
#th;Item;Cost;Weight
#st;Gemstone
Gems 1;200 gp;-
Gems 2;60 gp;-
#st;Art Object
Art Objects;1000 gp;-
#st;Jewelry
Drow Jewelry;300 gp;-
#st;Spellbook
Spider-Hide Spellbook;-;5 lb.
#st;Treasure
Treasure 1;2000 gp;-
Treasure 2;1000 gp;-

Gems 1. 200g in gems
Gems 2. 60gp in gems
Treasure 1. 2,000gp in gold, gems, and pieces of art
Treasure 2. 1,000gp in ceremonial items, rare metals, and finely-crafted warhammers
Spider-Hide Spellbook.
\rA small, traveling spellbook bound in spider-hide. It contains the following spells:
\r<b>2nd level:</b> <i>web</i>, <i>levitate</i>, <i>darkness</i>
\r<b>3rd level:</b> <i>gaseous form</i>
\r<b>4th level:</b> <i>Evard's black tentacles</i>, <i>arcane eye</i>
\r<b>5th level:</b> <i>passwall</i>

I've even tried changing the #st to Standard and it still doesn't work.

P.S. The <b></b> and <i></i> tags don't seem to work in the equipment file. Otherwise than that, the spellbook comes up just fine when referenced from the parcels file.

It would be helpful if you gave us a bit more than "some sort of error".

At any rate your file as above par5es fine for me, so you're doing something else wrong. Also if you want the description of the spell book lose all the /r,<i> and <b>. And have everything on one line. None of those markups work in the equipment.txt file. In other words - it should look like as follows:

Spider-Hide Spellbook. A small, traveling spellbook bound in spider-hide. It contains the following spells: 2nd level: web,levitate, darkness 3rd level:gaseous form 4th level:Evard's black tentacles, arcane eye 5th level:passwall

EDIT: Sorry I should have made it clear; the file not only par5es but opens correctly in FG without error and everything is there as expected.

astromath
March 13th, 2016, 18:01
Sounds like you have file name extensions hidden. If you have Win 10 open up a folder, click on view and tick the 'file name extension' tick box. Now all your files should show the full name of the file including the extension. Now right click on the file, select rename and delete the .mod and replace it with .zip. I can't recall how you show file extensions in other OS's but I'm sure you can figure it out.

Bingo!

astromath
March 13th, 2016, 18:08
It would be helpful if you gave us a bit more than "some sort of error".

At any rate your file as above par5es fine for me, so you're doing something else wrong. Also if you want the description of the spell book lose all the /r,<i> and <b>. And have everything on one line. None of those markups work in the equipment.txt file. In other words - it should look like as follows:

Spider-Hide Spellbook. A small, traveling spellbook bound in spider-hide. It contains the following spells: 2nd level: web,levitate, darkness 3rd level:gaseous form 4th level:Evard's black tentacles, arcane eye 5th level:passwall

EDIT: Sorry I should have made it clear; the file not only par5es but opens correctly in FG without error and everything is there as expected.

Here's the error when I click on Equipment in FG:

Script Error: [string "common/scripts/windowtitlebar.lua"]: 18: attempt to index local 'node Title' (a nil value)

As far as the spellbook is concerned, \r does work. It allows each line to be its own line without having one long line. I picked up \r from a previous post.

kp9911
March 13th, 2016, 18:39
Has anyone here managed to get the auto lookup working for innate spell casting and spell casting that 3.1.6 brought?

Currently I'm parsing the Deva monster and it does not seem to link the Innate Spells at the end of the stat block. If I do this manually, it does appear after closing/opening the monster sheet.

Zacchaeus
March 13th, 2016, 18:46
Here's the error when I click on Equipment in FG:

Script Error: [string "common/scripts/windowtitlebar.lua"]: 18: attempt to index local 'node Title' (a nil value)

As far as the spellbook is concerned, \r does work. It allows each line to be its own line without having one long line. I picked up \r from a previous post.

You are trying to par5e the equipment.txt file as Cmp. Switch it to Ref and it will work.
\r does not work in the equipment.txt file. If you try it you will see the result once your equipment list shows up in FG. You probably saw that when there was a discussion of separating out spells in an NPC which, as far as I know, is the only place where it works. But I'm prepared to be corrected on that one.

Zacchaeus
March 13th, 2016, 18:53
Has anyone here managed to get the auto lookup working for innate spell casting and spell casting that 3.1.6 brought?

Currently I'm parsing the Deva monster and it does not seem to link the Innate Spells at the end of the stat block. If I do this manually, it does appear after closing/opening the monster sheet.

Here's what your npcs.txt entry should look like (edit it as necessary but note the \r's and also use the exact wording and capitalization).

Innate Spellcasting. The deva's spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 17). The deva can innately cast the following spells, requiring only verbal components:\rAt will: detect evil and good\r1/day each: commune, raise dead

Edit: note also that the spells will not appear unless you have an appropriate source open (PHB or SRD or basic rules) and also they will only appear once the NPC is dragged from the library into the NPC list and opened.

kp9911
March 13th, 2016, 19:01
Here's what your npcs.txt entry should look like (edit it as necessary but note the \r's and also use the exact wording and capitalization).

Innate Spellcasting. The deva's spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 17). The deva can innately cast the following spells, requiring only verbal components:\rAt will: detect evil and good\r1/day each: commune, raise dead

Edit: note also that the spells will not appear unless you have an appropriate source open (PHB or SRD or basic rules) and also they will only appear once the NPC is dragged from the library into the NPC list and opened.

Thanks a ton Zacchaeus, why the hell cant I rep you anymore :c. Works like a charm. Funnily enough I had already done the need full with the formatting, however I did not know this part "will only appear once the NPC is dragged from the library into the NPC list and opened" thanks for clearing it up!

Stitched
March 13th, 2016, 19:18
Not sure if anyone has seen this or if it provides useful XML code but this creature converter (from 1e-3e-5e) seems it could be useful.

https://brentnewhall.com/games/1e5e.html

astromath
March 13th, 2016, 23:59
Just spotted what may be a potential bug. I was just going over my npcs and noticed that a couple of them had INT of 0 instead of what it is supposed to be.

Here's the line the npc.txt file:

23 (+6) 16 (+3) 18 (+4) 7 (−2) 14 (+2) 12 (+1)

Here's the line in FG after parsing:

23 (+6) 16 (+3) 18 (+4) 0 (−5) 14 (+2) 12 (+1)

Is this a bug?

Edit: Just looked at the skeleton entry. INT, WIS, and CHA are all showing 0 in FG whereas the txt file shows 6, 8, and 5 respectively.

spite
March 14th, 2016, 00:09
− -
Those are different icons, and the first one is what you have, the second one is what you need in the -5 section and the -7 section. Fix that and it will work.

chillman0122
March 14th, 2016, 00:20
Quick question... I'm making a custom class, and I can't get the class ability text to "stick". For example, in the DD5E User Guide class example, you see

#abh;Divine Domains
In a pantheon, every deity has...

For me, I have

#abh;Refinement Focus
At 3rd level, the alchemist...

Except in my version, the text "At 3rd level..." doesn't appear in the class module once I open it in my library. The Cleric class from the PHB does include the text, however.

The rest of my class appears to parse normally.

astromath
March 14th, 2016, 04:56
I'm having trouble finding the mod file to the Monster Manual. I was hoping to "unzip" it so I can find the tokens I need for my token folder. I did find monster.mod but that doesn't contain all the monsters in the MM.

damned
March 14th, 2016, 05:27
All newer content is in an encrypted vault so you cannot access this content directly.

zeracool2k
March 14th, 2016, 05:37
Chillman,

#abh;Divine Domains <-- ABH is a class "path" name, like "Bardic College"
In a pantheon, every deity has...

#ab;Life Domain <-- AB is the path option, like "College of Valor"
The Life domain...

#abf;Bonus Proficiency;1 <-- ABF is the path option's power or ability
When you choose this domain...

For the description of your Refinement focus, it would seem it should actually be treated as an optional feature (#fe;) rather than a class path.

psychocpv
March 17th, 2016, 03:27
Hey guys.

I'm having trouble parsing a psyonics module from the UA. I get an error (Write : module xml syntax .................................................. ...... [Mal Formed - WARNING].
Could you take o look e tell me what is wrong?

astromath
March 17th, 2016, 03:31
Hey guys.

I'm having trouble parsing a psyonics module from the UA. I get an error (Write : module xml syntax .................................................. ...... [Mal Formed - WARNING].
Could you take o look e tell me what is wrong?

I found the following:

You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
#ls;
#li;(a) a spear or (b) a mace
#li;(a) leather armor or (b) scale mail
#li;(a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts or (b) any simple weapon#li;
#li;(a) a scholar’s pack or (b) an explorer’s pack

the above has no #le; to end the list. and there's an extra #li; at the end of the 3rd line.

zeracool2k
March 17th, 2016, 03:46
Psycho, in addition to what astromath said, your Class Path features are wrongly tagged as "#fe; when they should be "#abf;":

#ab;Order of the Immortal
The Order of the Immortal strives to achieve...
#abf;Martial Order;1
At 1st level, you gain...
#abf;Psionic Resilience;3
At 3rd level, you learn...
#abf;Surge of Health;6
Starting at 6th level, you can...
#abf;Cutting Resonance;8
At 8th level, you gain...

That's why they show on the class features, instead of the path's.

psychocpv
March 17th, 2016, 05:48
It worked just fine.

Thanks astromath and zeracoll2k.

Falselight
March 17th, 2016, 23:50
i am working a magic item mod and i have all the items listed and parsed but some items require dice roll to select magic how do i attach a table i made in Par5e

Ring of the Beast
Ring, uncommon (requires attunement)
This thick wooden ring is flecked with diamond dust and carved with images of an animal. While wearing this ring you can polymorph into the creature pictured on the ring. Use the rules of the spell, except that you retain your original form’s Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. Once you have used this property you cannot use it again until you complete a short or long rest. The DM can roll or choose on the table to determine the type of beast pictured on the ring. Types of rings of the beast d20 Creature
1 Baboon
2 Badger
3 Bat
4 Cat
5 Crab
6 Deer
7 Eagle
8 Frog
9 Hawk
10 Hyena
11 Jackal
12 Lizard
13 Octopus
14 Owl
15 Quipper
16 Rat
17 Raven
18 Scorpion
19 Spider
20 Weasel

astromath
March 18th, 2016, 02:36
Try this:

Ring of the Beast
Types of rings of the Beast d20 Creature:
#zl;tables;Ring of the Beast

Then in the tables.txt you have

##;Ring of the Beast
#!;Ring of the Beast Table
column;Creature
dice;d20
row;1;1;#zl:npc:Baboon
etc.

I Think this is how the Bag of Tricks is set up.

Falselight
March 18th, 2016, 02:58
thanks will try that

I have one more question today

I am making a table to go with my magicitems.txt i am trying to get the table to link back to magicitems.txt cant seem to link them

row;99;99;#zl;referencemagicitems;Angel’s Call (this is from the tables.txt)

Angel’s Call (is the exact name from the magicitems.txt)

astromath
March 18th, 2016, 03:10
It should be

row;99;99;#zl:referencemagicitems:Angel’s Call (this is from the tables.txt)

instead of

row;99;99;#zl;referencemagicitems;Angel’s Call (this is from the tables.txt)

Please note the colons instead of the semicolons. That is rather important. You could also replace referencemagicitems with magicitems since that is the txt file it is referencing.

Falselight
March 18th, 2016, 03:15
Try this:

Ring of the Beast
Types of rings of the Beast d20 Creature:
#zl;tables;Ring of the Beast

Then in the tables.txt you have

##;Ring of the Beast
#!;Ring of the Beast Table
column;Creature
dice;d20
etc.

I Think this is how the Bag of Tricks is set up.

did that and get this error
Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (tables : tables.ringofthebeast@New Magic item 5E homebrew)

that table that was made works great but when click the link on the magic item i get that error

Falselight
March 18th, 2016, 03:19
did the changes it shows the link now but when i click on it i get error

Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (magicitems : magicitems@New Magic item 5E homebrew)

row;99;99;#zl:magicitems:Angel’s Call ( from the tables.text

astromath
March 18th, 2016, 03:54
Hmmm. Then I'm not sure. Anybody else out there more experienced than me want to help False? That way I'll also learn.

Zacchaeus
March 18th, 2016, 11:15
So I just tested this out and for the magicitems table this works

Ring of the Beasts
Ring, uncommon (requires attunement)
#zl;table;Ring of Beasts
This thick wooden ring etc

And for the table

#@;Falslights Tables
##;Ring of Beasts
#!;Ring of Beasts Table
Roll on this table to determine which beast
dice;d4
column;Beast
row;2;2;#zl:npc:Baboon
row;3;3;#zl:npc:Baboon
row;4;4;#zl:npc:Baboon

This should par5e either as a Cmp or a Ref.

Zacchaeus
March 18th, 2016, 11:30
did the changes it shows the link now but when i click on it i get error

Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (magicitems : magicitems@New Magic item 5E homebrew)

row;99;99;#zl:magicitems:Angel’s Call ( from the tables.text

I'm not sure that you can link this kind of thing in a table. In order to use that kind of link I think you need to bracket the link with #zls;/#zle; and you can't do that in a table.

Falselight
March 18th, 2016, 13:09
I'm not sure that you can link this kind of thing in a table. In order to use that kind of link I think you need to bracket the link with #zls;/#zle; and you can't do that in a table.

wonder how they did it for the DMG 5e

Dr. Zeuss you still with us great one?

damned
March 18th, 2016, 13:19
Falselight there are lots of things that the official material contains that cannot be done with the public release of Par5e.

Falselight
March 18th, 2016, 13:22
Falselight there are lots of things that the official material contains that cannot be done with the public release of Par5e.

understand Damned :(

Zacchaeus
March 18th, 2016, 15:15
wonder how they did it for the DMG 5e

Dr. Zeuss you still with us great one?

According to the documentation it seems that it should work, but I can't get it to do so. I suspect that the problem isn't with par5e but it's FG that's moved on. There were quite a number of internal changes to accommodate the DMG and the way tables work has been extensively revised and added too. So, I'm betting that it's FG that's the problem and not par5e.

astromath
March 21st, 2016, 13:13
I'm having trouble with a module. It parses just fine until the [make : story windowlists] section. It hangs up just after [make] is [completed]. Right now, it is just the bare bones, story only, no other references. Also, changed all nonstandard alpha to standard alpha. Any hints? Or do I need to upload what I'm working on for somebody to look at.

P.S. It is 1427 lines long.

Zacchaeus
March 21st, 2016, 14:07
You have an error somewhere. Pretty much impossible to tell from the information given. All you can do is go back and par5e a little bit then add more until it gives you the error and that should narrow down where the error is. Not sure what you mean by non standard alpha to standard alpha.

astromath
March 21st, 2016, 18:53
Non-standard = letters with accents
Standard = american alphabet

I'll try your suggestion.

kp9911
March 21st, 2016, 19:01
I'm having trouble with a module. It parses just fine until the [make : story windowlists] section. It hangs up just after [make] is [completed]. Right now, it is just the bare bones, story only, no other references. Also, changed all nonstandard alpha to standard alpha. Any hints? Or do I need to upload what I'm working on for somebody to look at.

P.S. It is 1427 lines long.

If you have the reference manual section, make sure you have annotated it properly.

Its ##; for a paragraph point I think.

astromath
March 21st, 2016, 20:25
I've got all the ##'s with ";"s. All <b>s have matching </b>s. Same for <i>s & </i>s. (I think.)

zeracool2k
March 21st, 2016, 20:53
astromath, the order of the tags is:

#@;Book
#!;Chapter 1
##;Page 1
Text goes here...
##;Page 2
Text goes here...

#!;Chapter 2
##;Page 1
etc...

Sometimes there are problems due to incomplete tags (it's been mentioned before, <i> or <b> without </i> or </b>, or viceversa), unrecognized symbols (not only acutes, also euro, "greek" letters, phantom spaces (which are actually symbols). If you paste the text into window's notepad, it will erase all the special characters. Do as Zacchaeus said, and par5e the text chapter by chapter.
Also, look for incomplete lists (#ls; #li; ... #le;), and wrongly formatted tables (#ts; #th; #tr; ... #te;).

astromath
March 22nd, 2016, 03:33
I can only find #!; in the reference manual section and the tables section of the user guide. What I'm doing is referenced in the story section of the user guide. (At least until I get that working.)

I've checked all tags and symbols (what I'm calling non-standard alpha). I've also checked all lists and formatted tables. All of them are ok. Maybe there might be some phantom spaces. I don't know about those. I'll try your suggestion.

astromath
March 22nd, 2016, 09:29
Found the problem. Par5e doesn't like exclamation marks (!) at the end of a line.

Example:
##;3.00.0 Part 3: Counterattack!

The above causes the Par5e to stop parsing for some reason whereas

##;3.00.0 Part 3: Counterattack

is ok.

The title needs the !, but I don't know how to keep it.

Zacchaeus
March 22nd, 2016, 10:36
You can't. As you have discovered, par5e doesn't like it. You can always edit in the module.

Griogre
March 22nd, 2016, 20:40
You can try substituting ! with this code:

&#33;

It might work the # is used by par5e though, so it might not. It's an XML code so if it slides through par5e it should work.

Zacchaeus
March 22nd, 2016, 21:30
You can try substituting ! with this code:

&#33;

It might work the # is used by par5e though, so it might not. It's an XML code so if it slides through par5e it should work.

Unfortunately that doesn't work either. I'm only guessing but par5e uses '!' as well in it's markup so it may well be that when it comes across an exclamation mark it's looking for something other than just an exclamation mark. A cigar, possibly, isn't just a cigar in this case :)

astromath
March 23rd, 2016, 02:38
Maybe in your next version you can add an exception for the !. Maybe a double ! such as !!. Then the !! would translate into a single !. Just a suggestion.

spite
March 23rd, 2016, 03:20
Maybe in your next version you can add an exception for the !. Maybe a double ! such as !!. Then the !! would translate into a single !. Just a suggestion.

There is not going to be any next version. The public version was discontinued when they got the license I believe, and now all updated versions of the par5e tool are for internal use only.

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2016, 10:44

Indeed there will be no next version.

astromath
March 23rd, 2016, 13:22
Oh, boo. Oh, well. Too bad. I'll just have to live with it. Thx for letting be know.

Even if there's no new version, it is still extremely useful.

Mortar
March 25th, 2016, 00:12
Unfortunately that doesn't work either. I'm only guessing but par5e uses '!' as well in it's markup so it may well be that when it comes across an exclamation mark it's looking for something other than just an exclamation mark. A cigar, possibly, isn't just a cigar in this case :)

Just happened upon this, maybe try using a different unicode to represent the exclamation point...like maybe U+0021

astromath
March 25th, 2016, 03:55
I seem to have trouble referencing parcels. I'll use the examples from your manual.

I have parcels.txt with the following:
#@;B99 The Chaotic Caves
##;1.Guard Area Level 1
coin;100;PP
coin;1000;GP
coin;2000;EP
coin;3000;SP
coin;4000;CP
item;1;Cloak of Invisibility
item;1;Ring of Feather Falling

Then in my story.txt I have the following:
#zl;treasureparcel;1.Guard Area Level 1

This is not working. The "#zl;treasureparcel;1.Guard Area Level 1" code is creating an empty parcel named "New Parcel" in FG instead of showing the 1.Guard Area Level 1 parcel

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Zacchaeus
March 25th, 2016, 09:45
You're calling it treasureparcel instead of parcel would be my best guess.

That is #zl;parcel;1.Guard Area Level 1

astromath
March 25th, 2016, 15:20
That was it. I had tried parcels (the name of the txt file), then treasureparcel (one of the allowed classes in the manual for #zl;). I didn't think to try parcel (which is not listed as an allowed class in the manual).

astromath
March 26th, 2016, 19:25
Here's another small problem. This is dealing with the encounter file. In it I have the something like the following:

1;Creature;Name;
1;Creature;;

Where Creature is the same creature for both lines. When parsed to FG, the unnamed creature shows up, but not the named creature.

I can't think of any way to fix this other than copying the creature in the npc file and renaming it to Name.

Falselight
March 26th, 2016, 19:52
how do put a image on the mod .

Zacchaeus
March 26th, 2016, 22:42
Here's another small problem. This is dealing with the encounter file. In it I have the something like the following:

1;Creature;Name;
1;Creature;;

Where Creature is the same creature for both lines. When parsed to FG, the unnamed creature shows up, but not the named creature.

I can't think of any way to fix this other than copying the creature in the npc file and renaming it to Name.

Rename your creature. So if you have Bob the Goblin and 5 Goblins, the encounter will be 1;Bob the Goblin;; 5;Goblin;;

Zacchaeus
March 26th, 2016, 22:44
how do put a image on the mod .

I presume you mean a thumbnail? If so include a file name thumbnail.png in your folder. At the same level as your input folder.

Falselight
March 26th, 2016, 22:48
awesome thank you Zacchaeus

kp9911
March 27th, 2016, 08:04
Not sure if I can make an extension to this thread, @mods please let me know if I should make a separate thread for this.

I have been developing a small piece of convenience which I call the creature creator. The interface is covered in the screen shot attached. Its an easier way to get the creature details into the text file which would be par5e'd afterwards.

It simply makes copy pasting from a PDF easy and you can make corrections on the fly and not bother too much with the final result when you dump it to a text file.

Just wanted to know if anyone else would like to try it out. I'm still testing it out, my end goal is to make something like par5e, but that's gonna take a long time, since I just have an hour or so each day to get this kinda stuff done :D

damned
March 27th, 2016, 09:08
Make a separate post. And awesome idea and work kp9911!

kp9911
March 27th, 2016, 17:15
Make a separate post. And awesome idea and work kp9911!

Done! Made a separate post for it.

burningheratic
March 28th, 2016, 23:04
I have been attempting to use Par5e but it is not creating the .xml file. I have reviewed the thread, the user guilds and Xorn's tutorial but I am unable to find where the problem lies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Below are the screenshots from Par5e:

damned
March 29th, 2016, 00:33
There are one or more errors in your input text as it is not getting to BUILD.

Falselight
March 29th, 2016, 01:01
I have been attempting to use Par5e but it is not creating the .xml file. I have reviewed the thread, the user guilds and Xorn's tutorial but I am unable to find where the problem lies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

send me your txt file and will look for errors [email protected]

kp9911
March 29th, 2016, 08:42

You probably have one to many '";" in the same line.

burningheratic
March 30th, 2016, 17:14
Thank you. I was able to get the class working. I appreciate the assistance.

Nulk
March 31st, 2016, 23:43
A quick one; can i create additional item subtypes such as Food / Drink or am i limited to the subtypes already defined by Par5e?
(Subtypes for Adventuring Gear can include Ammunition, Arcane Focus, Druidic Focus, Holy Symbol, Equipment Kits,Equipment Packs and Standard)

astromath
April 1st, 2016, 03:21
I've used subtypes such as Jewelry, Treasure, Gems, and others with no problem.

Nulk
April 1st, 2016, 04:13
Thanks Astromath, i will then take another look at what i'm doing... it's most likely user error...

zeracool2k
April 1st, 2016, 04:27
Nulk, if I'm not wrong you can add any subtype (#st;) you want; however, you have to use the main categories (#@;) as specified in the Par5e dd5 user manual.

Check the spelling of the main categories, as well as any rogue character in the items' definition.

astromath
April 5th, 2016, 09:38
I'm now having trouble with imagegrids.txt

I have the following:

East Base;96;0,0;on
Friendly Dead;96;0,0;on
Mommy Dearest;96;0,0;on
North Base;96;0,0;on
The Underdoor;96;0,0;on
West Base;96;0,0;on
The Undying Temple Map 1;9;0,0;on
The Undying Temple Map 2;9;0,0;on

Par5e is giving me a warning on all of the above. Any hints on what's going on? I do have an image with each of those names in the image file folder.

Zacchaeus
April 5th, 2016, 11:26
I've never tried to par5e this kind of thing so I've no idea what might be going on. The only advice I can give you is try to get one working then add others as you go. Otherwise I'd do this kind of thing in FG rather than par5ing it. Presumably you also have the images.txt file marked for par5ing too, and you've tried par5ing both as reference and campaign. One other possibility might be the image names. Maybe lose the space; so EastBase or maybe even eastbase. Lots of thought but no solutions I'm afraid :)

astromath
April 5th, 2016, 17:03
How do you set up a grid on a map in FG? I can find no documentation on how to do that.

zeracool2k
April 5th, 2016, 17:15
astromath, to enable the grid on an image inside FG, you have to do the following:

open the image
right click on it
select the "layer" option
select "set grid" option
hold left click and draw a square (or hex) of the required size
voilá!

You can change the size and position of the grid by clicking the # option that appears on the top of the image, and using the buttons that appear.

Nylanfs
April 5th, 2016, 17:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtFgUrLeYu4

zeracool2k
April 5th, 2016, 17:19
By the way, perhaps your imagegrids par5eing is failing because of changes made on how FG handles maps, I *think* I read something about that on another post.

spite
April 6th, 2016, 07:39
Is there likely to be any reason why modules I create with parse, unzip and then rezip arent recognised by FG anymore? I make no edits to the inners and can recreate this issue, I discovered it when I WAS making edits but now I can't even make a module, change mod to zip, then back again, without it throwing a tantrum. Halp?

spite
April 6th, 2016, 08:09
Ah I figured it out!

damned
April 6th, 2016, 11:56
everyone does that one at least once... (more like 5 or 10 times)...

Keraki
April 10th, 2016, 20:11
Can you make it so when a barbarian reaches level three it pops a box out to says choose totem warrior or berserker

Zacchaeus
April 11th, 2016, 00:11
Can you make it so when a barbarian reaches level three it pops a box out to says choose totem warrior or berserker

Not in the public version of par5e, no. Sorry.

Keraki
April 11th, 2016, 00:21
Ok, be awesome if it could but realize that isnt an easy thing to do

spite
April 11th, 2016, 04:28
Ok, be awesome if it could but realize that isnt an easy thing to do

It is possible to do by editing the XML created using Par5e, but becomes a hassle as it is reset after every par5e update you make, and it requires you be competent with editing XML, lest you risk breaking the files.

kp9911
April 11th, 2016, 04:47
For the archtype popout, you need to manually add in some xml, which is a tedious process since it constantly gets overridden.

For now just go ahead with that, once I get a new laptop my next pet project is to Dev a new par5e one step at a time, most likely classes will be first :D

Growlin
April 12th, 2016, 19:04
I'm having an issue with equipment packs. I'm trying to get the packs to auto-populate a PC character sheet by dragging the shield, and I've found Zachaeus' post about using #si; to list them. I'm attaching a picture of my code.

This parses alright, and when I drag the shield to the character sheet, it will place items in the inventory, except for this with parentheses; ex Ball Bearings (bag of 1,000), String (10 feet). Am I doing something wrong or is there another way we have to use to get these items to populate automatically?

kp9911
April 12th, 2016, 19:15
Par5e does not parse ( and ) correctly I think

Zacchaeus
April 12th, 2016, 20:41
Welcome Growlin to Fantasy Grounds and to the Community.

You need a 1 before the ball bearings and the string and remove the 'bag of' before the 1000 in the ball bearings one. So in other words this:

#si;Backpack (empty);1 Ball bearings (1,000);1 String (10 feet);Bell;5 Candle;Crowbar;Hammer;10 Piton;Lantern, hooded;2 Oil (flask);5 Rations (1 day);Tinderbox;Waterskin;Rope, hempen (50 feet);

Growlin
April 12th, 2016, 23:37
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm at work so I'll try that when I get back to my computer. Will I need to change the names of the items in the equipment list as well or leave them as is?

kp9911
April 13th, 2016, 07:17

You need a 1 before the ball bearings and the string and remove the 'bag of' before the 1000 in the ball bearings one. So in other words this:

#si;Backpack (empty);1 Ball bearings (1,000);1 String (10 feet);Bell;5 Candle;Crowbar;Hammer;10 Piton;Lantern, hooded;2 Oil (flask);5 Rations (1 day);Tinderbox;Waterskin;Rope, hempen (50 feet);

Zacchaeus a question here. When I was trying to parse things in "( )" the brackets were not showing up and instead it was a code of some sort, is there some trick to get these to parse?

Zacchaeus
April 13th, 2016, 09:22
Zacchaeus a question here. When I was trying to parse things in "( )" the brackets were not showing up and instead it was a code of some sort, is there some trick to get these to parse?

I'm assuming you mean that what you get is something like \uNNNN?

There are limitations in the character set used by FG (ISO-8859-1) and this is especially a problem when you par5e (which uses Java and outputs UTF8 by default). The upshot of this is that sometimes what gets output isn't the character that was input. Code was constantly being upgraded in par5e to rectify such things but I don't know how far along that got in the public version. I seem to remember Zeus finding a significant bug at the tail end of last year which sorted a lot of these issues out. However I think that might have been around the time of the DMG release.

I suppose the short answer to your question is that there isn't likely to be a solution other than not using characters that don't par5e properly. These are brackets, em-dashes, rounded left and right double quotes and others. Usually you can substitute other characters that will par5e properly.

Growlin
April 13th, 2016, 09:28

I tried again with your changes, but the same problem still exists. I notice now that even the items listed in the "Standard" subtype will display the name, but leaves off the ()'s as well. Am I leaving something out for the parentheses to be picked up?

Zacchaeus
April 13th, 2016, 10:06
I tried again with your changes, but the same problem still exists. I notice now that even the items listed in the "Standard" subtype will display the name, but leaves off the ()'s as well. Am I leaving something out for the parentheses to be picked up?

I sent you a PM

Zacchaeus
April 13th, 2016, 18:37
For anyone interested in par5ing the backpacks, as noted in recent posts above, I asked Growlin to send me his file and I discovered that, as kp9911 above also found, the public version of par5e doesn't like brackets. At least not in the equipment lists at any rate. So the answer to anyone having difficulty getting the packs to par5e and also to them being actually usable in FG is to miss off the brackets. You can replace them with a comma for a more ascetic output. So in summary the line for a Burglar's pack would be as follows:

#si;Backpack, Empty;1 Ball Bearings, 1,000;1 String 10 feet;Bell;5 Candle;Crowbar;Hammer;10 Piton;Lantern, Hooded;2 Oil, flask;5 Rations, 1 Day;Tinderbox;Waterskin;Rope, Hempen 50 feet;

Obviously all of the items in the actual equipment list should also lose the brackets; so Backpack, Empty should appear on the standard equipment list rather than Backpack (Empty).

Hopefully this might help a few that have been struggling with this one and thanks to Growlin for sending me his file to look at.

LordEntrails
April 13th, 2016, 21:24
So, first time using PAR5E. Just trying to create some backgrounds. Gone through the documentation and I think I have everything ok, except I'm getting an error;
" Info : folder structure .................................................. ... [mkdir() Failed - WARNING]"
My FG Modues Path is set to C:\apps\fg_data\modules and I have full control on this folder.
So... what am I doing wrong?

Also, a question; The documentation mentions a "Verify" button or command. I don't see this (using v0.0.9-b62). Is this still relevant?

LordEntrails
April 13th, 2016, 21:25
Oh, also, what file extension should I use when saving the settings file?

Zacchaeus
April 13th, 2016, 21:51
It's likely the path of the files that you are reading that's the problem.

At any rate the 'Module Path' should be C:????\Par5e\YourFolder. The '????' bit of this is the file folder structure where you installed par5e. The 'YourFolder' bit is where you have your 'input' folder where you save your .txt files into and also where you have your images and tokens folder if you are par5ing such things. I find it's best to install par5e in the top layer of my C; drive rather than bury it somewhere.

The 'FG Module Path' should point to where your modules are stored in FG. This will vary depending on what OS you have. In Win 7 it's C:\Users\???\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\Modules. '????' being the account name that you use.

The verification that is talked about in the user guide is an internal check just to make sure that you are not puttiing par5e into a situation where it will delete files it shouldn't. There's no button for it.

Oh, and the file extension for the settings file is .properties. So if your module is LordEntrails then it will be LordEntrails.properties

Growlin
April 13th, 2016, 23:41
For anyone interested in par5ing the backpacks, as noted in recent posts above, I asked Growlin to send me his file and I discovered that, as kp9911 above also found, the public version of par5e doesn't like brackets. At least not in the equipment lists at any rate. So the answer to anyone having difficulty getting the packs to par5e and also to them being actually usable in FG is to miss off the brackets. You can replace them with a comma for a more ascetic output. So in summary the line for a Burglar's pack would be as follows:

#si;Backpack, Empty;1 Ball Bearings, 1,000;1 String 10 feet;Bell;5 Candle;Crowbar;Hammer;10 Piton;Lantern, Hooded;2 Oil, flask;5 Rations, 1 Day;Tinderbox;Waterskin;Rope, Hempen 50 feet;

Obviously all of the items in the actual equipment list should also lose the brackets; so Backpack, Empty should appear on the standard equipment list rather than Backpack (Empty).

Hopefully this might help a few that have been struggling with this one and thanks to Growlin for sending me his file to look at.

Thanks for looking at it for me. It's a shame we can't brackets, but not a huge deal using comma's either.

spite
April 16th, 2016, 03:52
So, I am having a small issue, not sure what's causing it, but when I parse in the class "pugilist" it parses in ok, and module builds ok, but every feature opens up a blank window with no title, no text, nothing. Whena player tries to open they simply get an error.
I've attached a picture of what I see when I open it, aswell as the parse text.
https://puu.sh/ojMTr/e7a1d551fa.jpg

##;Pugilist
-------- edited fluff for length
#h;Quick Build
You can make a pugilist quickly by following these suggestions. First, make Strength your highest ability score, followed by Constitution. Second, choose the criminal or urchin background.
#ts;
#th;Level;Proficiency Bonus;Fisticuffs;Moxie Points;Features;
#tr;1st;+2;1d4;-;Fisticuffs, Unarmored Defense;
#tr;2nd;+2;1d4;2;Iron Chin, Moxie;
#tr;3rd;+2;1d4;3;Blood but Unbowed, Fight Club;
#tr;4th;+2;1d4;4;Ability Score Improvement, Street Smart;
#tr;5th;+3;1d6;5;Extra Attack, Haymaker;
#tr;6th;+3;1d6;6;Fight Club Improvement, Moxie-Fueled Fists;
#tr;7th;+3;1d6;7;Fancy Footwork, Shake it Off;
#tr;8th;+3;1d6;8;Ability Score Improvement;
#tr;9th;+4;1d6;9;Blood but Unbowed Improvement;
#tr;10th;+4;1d6;10;School of Hard Knocks;
#tr;11th;+4;1d8;11;Fight Club Improvement;
#tr;12th;+4;1d8;12;Ability Score Improvement;
#tr;13th;+5;1d8;13;Rabble Rouser;
#tr;14th;+5;1d8;14;Unbreakable;
#tr;15th;+5;1d8;15;Herculean;
#tr;16th;+5;1d8;16;Ability Score Improvement;
#tr;17th;+6;1d10;17;Fight Club Improvement;
#tr;18th;+6;1d10;18;Fighting Spirit;
#tr;19th;+6;1d10;19;Ability Score Improvement;
#tr;20th;+6;1d10;20;Ready for a Fight;
#te;
#h;Class Features
As a pugilist, you gain the following class features.
Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d12 per pugilist level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d12 (or 7) + your Constitution modifier per pugilist level after 1st
Proficiencies
Armor: Light Armor
Weapons: Simple weapons, improvised weapons, whip, hand crossbow
Tools: One artisan's tools or gaming set or thieves' tools
Saving Throws: Strength, Constitution
Skills: Choose two skills from Acrobatics, Athletics, Deception, Intimidation, Perception, Sleight of Hand, and Stealth
Equipment
You start with the following equipment in addition to the equipment gained by your background:
#ls;
#li;(a) leather armor or (b) any simple weapon
#li;(a) a dungeoneer's pack or (b) an explorer's pack
#li;(a) a set of artisan's tools or (b) a gaming set or (c) thieves' tools
#le;
#fe;Fisticuffs;1
At 1st level, your years of fighting in back alleys, ship decks, and taverns have given you mastery over combat styles that use unarmed strikes and pugilist weapons, which are simple melee weapons without the two handed property, whips, and improvised weapons. You may not use the finesse property of a weapon while using it as a pugilist weapon.
You gain the following benefits while you are unarmed or using only pugilist weapons and you are wearing light or no armor:
You can roll a d4 in place of the normal damage of your unarmed strike or pugilist weapon. This die changes as you gain pugilist levels, as shown in the Fisticuffs column on the Pugilist table.
When you use the Attack action with an unarmed strike or a pugilist weapon on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike or grapple as a bonus action.
#fe;Unarmored Defense;1
Beginning at 1st level, while you are wearing no armor and not wielding a shield, your AC equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Constitution modifier.
#fe;Iron Chin;2
Starting at 2nd level, when you complete a long rest you gain temporary hit points equal to your pugilist level + your Constitution modifier. When you complete a short rest you gain temporary hit points equal to half your pugilist level + your Constitution modifier.
#fe;Moxie;2
Starting at 2nd level, your experience laying the beatdown on others has given you a moxie you can channel in the midst of battle. This swagger is represented by a number of moxie points. Your pugilist level determines the number of points you have, as shown in the Moxie Points column of the Pugilist table.
You can spend these points to fuel various moxie features. You start knowing three such features: brace yourself, the old one-two, and stick and move. You learn more moxie features as you gain levels in this class.
When you spend a moxie point, it is unavailable until you finish a short or long rest, at the end of which you restore all of your expended moxie. You must spend at least 30 minutes of the rest carousing or shadowboxing to regain your moxie points.
Some of your moxie features require your target to make a saving throw to resist the feature's effects. The saving throw DC is calculated as follows:
#bs;Moxie save DC: = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier
#bs;Brace Yourself
You can use a bonus action and expend 1 moxie point to gain resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage until the start of your next turn.
#bs;The Old One-Two
Immediately after you take the Attack action on your turn, you can spend 1 moxie point to make two unarmed strikes as a bonus action.
#bs;Stick and Move
You can use a bonus action and expend 1 moxie point to make a shove attack with advantage or the Dash action.
#fe;Bloodied but Unbowed;3,9
Starting at 3rd level, when you are reduced to less than half of your maximum hit points you add your proficiency bonus to your damage with unarmed attacks and pugilist weapons for 1 minute. You cannot use this feature again until you complete a short or long rest.
At 9th level, when you use this feature you also gain 1d10 + your Constitution modifier in temporary hit points. These temporary hit points remain for 1 minute.
#fe;Fight Club;3
Starting at 3rd level, your style is exemplified in a fight club: the Squared Circle or the Sweet Science. Your fight club grants you features at 3rd level and again at 6th, 11th, and 17th level.
#fe;Ability Score Improvement;4,8,12,16,19
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
#fe;Street Smart;4
Beginning at 4th level, you know the Thieve's Cant language. Additionally, once you have completed a long rest in a city you know all public locations in the city as if you had a map and you cannot be lost by non-magical means while within the city.
#fe;Extra Attack;5
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
#fe;Haymaker;5
Starting at 5th level, you can knock the wind out of an opponent or throw them off balance with a heavy hit. When you hit another creature with an unarmed strike or pugilist weapon, you can spend 1 moxie point to attempt to stun them. The target must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or be stunned until the end o your next turn.
#fe;Moxie-Fueled Fists;6
Starting at 6th level, your unarmed strikes count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to non-magical attacks and damage.
#fe;Fancy Footwork;7
At 7th level, you have proficiency in Dexterity saving throws.
#fe;Shake It Off;7
Starting at 7th level, you can use your action to end one effect on yourself that is causing you to be charmed or frightened.
#fe;School of Hard Knocks;10
By 10th level, you've graduated top of the class at the school of hard knocks and you took most of them on the head. You have resistance to psychic damage and gain advantage on saving throws against effects that would make you stunned or unconscious.
#fe;Rabble Rouser;13
Starting at 13th level, carousing counts as light activity for the purposes of resting. In addition, word of your exploits travels quickly in cities and other settlements.
Once you have taken a long rest by carousing in a settlement you gain advantage on all Charisma (Persuasion) and Charisma (Intimidation) rolls made against people who live in that settlement.
#fe;Unbreakable;14
Starting at 14th level, you gain advantage on Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution saving throws. Additionally, whenever you make a saving throw and fail, you can spend 1 moxie point to reroll it and take the second result.
#fe;Herculean;15
At 15th level, your carrying capacity is doubled, your jump height and distance are doubled, and when you deal damage to an inanimate object that damage is doubled.
#fe;Fighting Spirit;18
Starting at 18th level, when you are reduced to 0 hit points you regain half of your maximum hit points, 6 moxie points, and gain a level of exhaustion. You cannot use this feature again until you complete a long rest.
#fe;Ready for a Fight;20
At 20th level, when you roll for initiative and have no moxie points remaining, you regain 4 moxie points.
#abh;Fight Clubs
----------------- edited for length

LordEntrails
April 16th, 2016, 04:44
It's likely the path of the files that you are reading that's the problem.

At any rate the 'Module Path' should be C:????\Par5e\YourFolder. The '????' bit of this is the file folder structure where you installed par5e. The 'YourFolder' bit is where you have your 'input' folder where you save your .txt files into and also where you have your images and tokens folder if you are par5ing such things. I find it's best to install par5e in the top layer of my C; drive rather than bury it somewhere.

The 'FG Module Path' should point to where your modules are stored in FG. This will vary depending on what OS you have. In Win 7 it's C:\Users\???\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\Modules. '????' being the account name that you use.

The verification that is talked about in the user guide is an internal check just to make sure that you are not puttiing par5e into a situation where it will delete files it shouldn't. There's no button for it.

Oh, and the file extension for the settings file is .properties. So if your module is LordEntrails then it will be LordEntrails.properties

I put everything in c:\apps. So my PAR5E install folder is "C:\apps\PAR5E" and my fg data folder is "C:\apps\fg_data"

I found the problem, a space in the module file path name. replaced that with an underscore and it worked. Partly... now I'm getting warning on all the backgrounds I'm trying to create. I'll play with it some more to see if I can resolve before asking for more help.

LordEntrails
April 16th, 2016, 05:46
... now I'm getting warning on all the backgrounds I'm trying to create. I'll play with it some more to see if I can resolve before asking for more help.
So, it appears to be working, but I'm still getting a warning. Any ideas?

Here's one of the backgrounds I'm parsing;

##;Herbalist’s Child
As the middle child of the village healer and herbalist, you have learned many of the personal happenings within the village, and you have learned how to keep them to yourself. It has rarely been spoken of within your family, but you know that you all hold a position of trust with the villagers and that a trusted healer cannot be a gossip.
Your older brother, Tomlin, left Telair six seasons ago to study with the sage Mikeal of the royal college. He has sent word several times that he is doing well and enjoys his studies. Your younger sister, Caitlin, is your father’s shadow and you (and everyone else) know she will stay here and become the village’s next herbalist. You envy them both, because they know their places in the world, and you have no idea where yours is.
Skill Proficiencies: Arcana, Medicine
Tool Proficiencies: Herbalism Kit, Alchemist’s Supplies
Equipment: Common clothes, two small pouches containing; Herbalism Kit, Healer’s Kit, 5gp
Feature: Medical Kit
You know where your family keeps a hidden potion of healing for emergency use
Suggested Characteristics
Personality Trait
Reticent; you keep your thoughts to yourself and never talk about other people.
Ideal
You believe no one should ever go hungry.
Bond
Your family has passed down numerous family recipes; from favorite meals to herbal remedies and medicines.
Flaw
You will put yourself at extreme risk to insure that others are not cold or hungry.

And here's the error I get in the console window:
Parse : background .................................................. .... [Smith's Apprentice - WARNING]

Any idea what the warning means?

Zacchaeus
April 16th, 2016, 09:07
So, I am having a small issue, not sure what's causing it, but when I parse in the class "pugilist" it parses in ok, and module builds ok, but every feature opens up a blank window with no title, no text, nothing. Whena player tries to open they simply get an error.
I've attached a picture of what I see when I open it, aswell as the parse text.

I've seen this kind of thing before. Par5e doesn't like names with 'list' in them. I don't know why and I have no workaround except don't use a name with list in it. Try "Boxer".

Zacchaeus
April 16th, 2016, 09:17
So, it appears to be working, but I'm still getting a warning. Any ideas?

Remove the ';' after containing in 'Equipment'.
You have no text under the heading Suggested Characteristics
Remove the ';' after reticent under Personality Traits.
Personality traits will be looking for a dice and six (or however many) options following it.

Make sure you read the documentation that come with par5e (in the 'docs' subfolder). It shows you there what the syntax is for each category and also if something is printed in red it's necessary that it be there.

LordEntrails
April 16th, 2016, 17:20
Thanks Zach, that helps. I've read the documentation, it is well done, but i don't believe it clarifies everything (nor should it).

For these backgrounds, I'm not actually looking to create tables for all of the characteristics, just trying to give some examples (why I don't have the die table entries.) It's nice that I get a warning that something possible is missing, just didn't know what the warning was indicating. Now I do :)

Zacchaeus
April 16th, 2016, 17:44
Thanks Zach, that helps. I've read the documentation, it is well done, but i don't believe it clarifies everything (nor should it).

For these backgrounds, I'm not actually looking to create tables for all of the characteristics, just trying to give some examples (why I don't have the die table entries.) It's nice that I get a warning that something possible is missing, just didn't know what the warning was indicating. Now I do :)

I think it will par5e without any of the tables but since you had some of the information in there it might be that it wants more. You could try just leaving that off to see what happens.

LordEntrails
April 16th, 2016, 17:52
It works with the text/format as I listed it. It gives the warning, but seems to create usable backgrounds that look exactly like I expected them to be. I had missed that the die tables were expected so did not know why the warning.

I'll say I had been putting off trying to learn PAR5E. But it's really easy to use. Had I known, I would have started using it earlier rather than writing my modules manually.

Zacchaeus
April 16th, 2016, 20:22
Haha, be careful. Backgrounds are about the easiest to do. Other stuff can get tricky. :)

TalonHawk
April 22nd, 2016, 07:39
##;Mystic
#h;Mystic
A mystic draws on the power of psionics—the energy of the mind—to create powerful effects.
#h;Class Features
As a mystic, you gain the following class features.
Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d8 per mystic level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per mystic level after 1st
Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor, medium armor
Weapons: Simple weapons
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Intelligence, Wisdom
Skills: Choose two skills from Arcana, History, Insight, Medicine, Nature, Perception, and Religion
Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
#ls;
#li;(a) a spear or (b) a mace
#li;(a) leather armor or (b) scale mail
#li;(a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts or (b) any simple weapon
#li;(a) a scholar’s pack or (b) an explorer’s pack The Mystic
#le;
#h;The Mystic
#ts;
#th;Level;Proficiency Bonus;Features;Talents Known;Disciplines Known;Psi Points;Psi Limit;
#tr;1st;+2;Psionics, Mystic Order;1;2;4;2;
#tr;2nd;+2;Mystical Recovery;1;3;6;2;
#tr;3rd;+2;Mystic Order feature;2;3;14;3;
#tr;4th;+2;Ability Score Improvement, Strength of Mind;2;3;17;3;
#tr;5th;+3;-;2;4;27;5;
#tr;6th;+3;Mystic Order feature;2;4;32;5;
#tr;7th;+3;-;2;5;38;6;
#tr;8th;+3;Ability Score Improvement, Mystic Order feature;2;5;44;6;
#tr;9th;+4;-;2;6;57;7;
#tr;10th;+4;Consumptive Power;3;6;64;7;
#te;
#h;Psionics
As a student of psionics, you can master and use psionic disciplines and talents.
#h;Psionic Talents
A psionic talent is a minor psionic effect you have mastered. At 1st level, you know one psionic talent of your choice (see the talent options later in this class description). You learn additional talents of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Talents Known column of the Mystic table.
#h;Psionic Disciplines
A psionic discipline is a rigid set of mental exercises that allows a mystic to manifest psionic power. Such disciplines are divided into two categories: lesser disciplines and greater disciplines. A mystic masters only a few disciplines at a time.
At 1st level, you know two lesser disciplines of your choice (see the discipline options later in this class description). You learn additional disciplines of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Disciplines Known column of the Mystic table. You must be at least 5th level to learn a greater discipline.
In addition, whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one discipline you know with a different one of your choice. You can replace a lesser discipline with a greater discipline, but only if you are at least 5th level.
#h;Psi Points
You have an internal reservoir of energy that can be devoted to the psionic disciplines you know. This energy is represented by psi points. Each psionic discipline describes effects you can create with it by spending a certain number of psi points. A psionic talent requires no psi points.
The number of psi points you have is based on your mystic level, as shown in the Psi Points column of the Mystic table. The number shown for your level is your psi point maximum. Your psi point total returns to its maximum after you finish a long rest. The number of psi points you have can’t go below 0 or over your maximum.
#h;Psi Limit
Though you have access to a potent amount of psionic energy, it takes training and practice to channel that energy. There is a limit on the number of psi points you can spend to activate a psionic discipline. The limit is based on your mystic level, as shown in the Psi Limit column of the Mystic table. For example, as a 3rd-level mystic, you can spend no more than 3 psi points on a discipline each time you use it, no matter how many psi points you have.
#h;Psychic Focus
You can focus psychic energy on one of your psionic disciplines to draw ongoing benefits from it. As a bonus action, you can choose one of your psionic disciplines and gain its psychic focus benefit, which is detailed in that discipline’s description. The benefit lasts until you are incapacitated or until you use another bonus action to choose a psychic focus benefit. You can have only one psychic focus benefit at a time.
#h;Psionic Ability
Intelligence is your psionic ability for your psionic disciplines. You use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a psionic discipline or when making an attack roll with one.
Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier
#fe;Mystic Order;1
At 1st level, you choose a Mystic Order: the Order of the Awakened or the Order of the Immortal, both detailed at the end of the class description.
Each order specializes in a particular approach to psionics. Your order gives you features when you choose it at 1st level and additional features at 3rd, 6th, and 8th level.
#fe;Mystical Recovery;2
Starting at 2nd level, you draw vigor from the psi energy you use to power psionic disciplines associated with your Mystic Order.
Whenever you spend psi points on a psionic discipline of your order, you regain hit points equal to your Intelligence modifier if your current hit point total equals half your hit point maximum or less.
#fe;Ability Score Improvement;4
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
#fe;Strength of Mind;4
Even the simplest psionic techniques require a deep understanding of how psionic energy can augment mind and body. This understanding allows you to alter your defenses to better deal with threats.
Starting at 4th level, you can replace your proficiency in Wisdom saving throws whenever you finish a short or long rest. To do so, choose Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, or Charisma. You gain proficiency in saves using that ability, instead of Wisdom. This change lasts until you finish your next short or long rest.
#fe;Consumptive Power;10
At 10th level, you gain the ability to sacrifice your health in exchange for psychic power. As a bonus action, you regain up to 5 psi points. For each point you choose to regain this way, your current hit points and hit point maximum are both reduced by 1 for each level you have in this class. This reduction can’t be lessened in any way.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest, and the reduction to your hit point maximum lasts until you finish a long rest.

Keep getting a warning for this, and don't know why, I haven't added the sub classes yet, should that matter?

Zacchaeus
April 22nd, 2016, 08:56
Yes, it parses fine if you input one Archetype. Also shouldn't psionics be a feature rather than just a heading?

TalonHawk
April 22nd, 2016, 15:17
Yes, it parses fine if you input one Archetype. Also shouldn't psionics be a feature rather than just a heading?

Yeah, but I kept changing things to try getting it to work. Guess I should have just added the Archetype.. lol

FSHSchmo
April 23rd, 2016, 21:58
Working on an AL module but it is not building properly. Any ideas?

#@;DnD Adventurers League Amendments – Curse of Strahd
#!;DnD Adventurers League Amendments – Curse of Strahd
##;Page 22 - Letter of Recommendation from the Eravien Haund
Despite Haund’s presumptions, the werewolves move to and from Barovia by Strahd’s will alone, and not via a portal. If the adventurers are successful in determining this (this will require some creativity, or an odd series of circumstances to occur), they are rewarded as stated in the adventure. The <i>letter of recommendation</i> promised grants the bearer use of the Position of Privilege feature from the Noble background. If the bearer also has the Noble background, they have advantage on any Charisma related skill checks they make when using the letter for this purpose. The <i>letter of recommendation</i> is only useful in any regard, when on the Sword Coast.
##;Page 22 - Special Favor from Davra Jassur
In exchange for returning the head of <b>Kiril Stoyanovich</b> (see Pack Attack, Page 171), Davra is exceedingly pleased. Any characters that are members of the Zhentarim earn the following story award:
<b>Special Favor: The Black Network</b>
Davra Jassur commands much respect within the Black Network, and dropping her name could yield favorable results—even from those who are unaffiliated with the Zhentarim. This story award may be redeemed for one of the following: a common <i>spell scroll</i> (1st level spell), two <i>vials of poison,</i> five <i>flasks of holy water,</i> or the service of silvering one melee weapon (the weapon to be silvered must be purchased separately). This story award is removed when used.
##;Page 37 - Tser Pool Encampment Treasure
There are six tents and four wagons for a total of 10 possible (although statistically-unlikely) results that include a magic item. If the result is a 20, the characters find one of the items below. Roll 1d20 and consult the list below; ignoring results from previous rolls.
#zl;table;Table - Tser Pool Encampment Treasure
##;Page 63 - King's Accountant
Using the <b>manual of bodily health</b> requires the owner to expend 6 downtime days, after which the owner gains the manual’s benefit. Once this happens, the manual crumbles to ash and is lost forever. Only the owner of the manual may benefit from its use.
<b>NOTE:</b> The <b>manual of bodily health</b> may not be traded, even if the owner possesses campaign documentation that allows the trade of uncerted items. Ownership must be established normally by the end of the game session in which it is found, and only by an adventurer that was played in that session. The <i>manual</i> counts permanently against the owner’s magic item total, even after it has been used.
##;Page 88 - Crypt 13
The musket provided here is unique, and may not be replicated or repaired—though it is easy enough to craft ammunition for it. A character proficient with smith’s tools can spend 3 gp to craft 10 bullets and 35 gp to craft enough gunpowder for 10 shots. Ammunition and gunpowder can’t be purchased otherwise. The resulting gunpowder is not suitable for any purpose other to fire the weapon (i.e. NO explosives may be crafted, etc). Characters can’t become proficient in this weapon.
<b>NOTE:</b> As a mundane item, the musket and bullets may not be traded. Ownership must be established normally by the end of the game session in which it is found, and only by an adventurer that was played in that session.
##;Page 91 - Crypt 29
The original blade of the <i>luck blade</i> found in this crypt rusted away eons ago. The hilt, however, retained its power. Upon being claimed by a new owner, a new blade manifests from the hilt—taking the form of whatever type of sword its owner wishes. Once the weapon’s form has been chosen, it cannot be changed. It is otherwise as described in the adventure.
<b>NOTE:</b> As an uncerted item, the <i>luck blade</i> may not be traded, even if the owner possesses campaign documentation that allows the trade of uncerted items. Ownership must be established normally by the end of the game session in which it is found, and only by an adventurer that was played in that session.
##;Page 187 - Architect's Room
Using the <i>tome of understanding</i> requires the owner to expend 6 downtime days, after which the owner gains the tome’s benefit. Once this happens, the tome is consumed in brilliant, divine flames (dealing no damage). When the flames die, the <i>tome</i> is gone, never to return. Only the owner of the <i>tome</i> may benefit from its use.
<b>NOTE:</b> As an uncerted item, the <i>tome of understanding</i> may not be traded, even if the owner possesses campaign documentation that allows the trade of uncerted items. Ownership must be established normally by the end of the game session in which it is found, and only by an adventurer that was played in that session. The <i>tome</i> counts permanently against the owner’s magic item total, even after it has been used.
##;Page 191 - Amber Sarcophagi
The Amber Sarcophagi sidebar is amended as follows:
<i>Add the following after the <b>third</b> paragraph:</i>
“Dungeon and Dragons Adventurers League DM’s should ensure that players fully understand the risk inherent in dealing with such powerful—and wholly evil—entities. DMs will provide the following as a warning to your players prior to their decision to accept a dark gift:
“Accepting a gift from an entity of pure, ancient evil does not come without tremendous risk. While you stand to gain terrible power, it is possible that your character may forever surrender their soul to a being of ultimate darkness. Should this happen, your character shall become an NPC under the control of the Dark Powers—and therefore unplayable in future Adventurers League adventures—until they no longer possess the dark gift, which could be a very long time. Once your decision is made, there is no turning back. Do you accept the gift?”
<i>Add the following after the <b>fifth</b> paragraph:</i>
“Dark gifts that have a finite duration (i.e., one year, 30 days, etc.) last for the specified amount of time in the real-world. That is to say that if a character receives a dark gift that lasts for one year, that character loses the dark gift and all its effects one calendar year from the date that the gift was annotated on the characters Adventure Logsheet. A character may accept and be affected by only one dark gift. If a character with a dark gift attempts to accept another from a different vestige, their requests go unanswered.
<i>Add the following to the <b>last</b> paragraph of the “Amber Sarcophagi” sidebar:</i>
“A character that fails the saving throw above is possessed by a fragment of the vestige and changes the moral aspect of their alignment (good, neutral, or evil) to evil. If they are now lawful evil, they can choose to continue playing that character. If they are a member of any faction other than the Lords Alliance or Zhentarim, they are immediately expelled from that faction and lose all renown. If they are now either neutral evil or chaotic evil their character is removed from D&D Adventurers League play unless they are the unwitting recipient of a <i>wish</i>—removing their dark gift, and changing their alignment back to what it was prior to receiving the dark gift. There is no saving throw against the wish spell, but the adventurer would never actively seek to change themselves back.
<i>Adventurers that fail their saving throw gain the following story award:</i>
<b>“Consumed by Absolute Darkness"</b>
You have accepted the gift of evil and paid the price. You have been possessed by the vestige of a dead and wholly-evil god. For so long as this vestige possesses your mortal body, you may not participate in any D&D Adventurers League adventure. Instead, the vestige—free from its imprisonment—uses your body to wreak havoc upon the land. This lasts for one year and one day of time in the real world, at which time, the character is restored to their original alignment and for some reason unknown to them (possibly divine intervention) the dark gift has been removed. After the dark gift has been removed, the character has disadvantage on all Charisma-related checks when interacting with NPCs anywhere in the Realms. After 10 adventures, assuming no wrongdoing, their reputation is restored and this penalty is removed. The dark gift may be removed earlier, but only by a wish spell cast by another character.

Zacchaeus
April 23rd, 2016, 22:08
It's par5ing fine for me as far as I can see.

You don't say what your par5ing as but it works as a reference manual.

You could try deleting your 'output' folder sometimes that can help.

Otherwise a little more info on what is going wrong would help me track things down a bit.

FSHSchmo
April 23rd, 2016, 22:27
It's par5ing fine for me as far as I can see.

You don't say what your par5ing as but it works as a reference manual.

You could try deleting your 'output' folder sometimes that can help.

Otherwise a little more info on what is going wrong would help me track things down a bit.

Sorry about that. I am adding it in as a reference manual. I have attached a screenshot of what my parse output is and also a copy of my table.txt

#@;DnD Adventurers League Amendments – Curse of Strahd

##;Table - Tser Pool Encampment Treasure
#!;Table - Tser Pool Encampment Treasure
dice;d20
column;Magic Item Found
row;1;5;A potion of greater healing
row;6;6;A potion of fire breath. This clear, red fluid has a smoldering chunk of coal floating within. The heat of this almost-boiling potion can be felt even through the thick glass bottle it is contained in.
row;7;7;Ten +1 crossbow bolts. The bolts have bone shafts with thrice-bladed, cold-iron heads.
row;8;8;A wooden, screw-top canister containing four doses of Keoghtom’s ointment (this item counts as a permanent magic item until its last dose is used). Anyone upon whom the ointment is applied smells like freshly dug earth for 1 hour. No amount of cleaning (including the use of prestidigitation) or perfume will mask or remove this smell.
row;9;9;A potion of hill giant strength. The potion can only be consumed by first destroying the stopper-less, ceramic pot it is contained in. The potion tastes foul and has the consistency of curdled milk; with hints of blood, sweat, and grime.
row;10;10;A suit of mithral half-plate decorated with an elegant woodland motif. The green, woolen cape affixed to the armor’s shoulders never catches on burrs or branches while traveling through the forest.
row;11;11;A potion of lightning resistance. The potion in this glass vial is crystal clear, and a number of small iron beads have settled at the bottom.
row;12;12;A bag of holding. This tattered and patched bag lets forth a terrible scream whenever it is opened, audible to anyone within 100 feet.
row;13;13;A silver snuffbox containing what appears to be fine tobacco (actually dust of sneezing and choking; this item counts as a permanent magic item until its only dose is used)
row;14;14;An ugly hat made of tattered, brown wool (a helm of comprehend languages)
row;15;15;A potion of necrotic resistance. This milky potion has a small, human tooth floating within it that must be swallowed as part of drinking the potion.
row;16;16;A silver vial carved to resemble a fish. It contains oil of slipperiness. When used, the oil reeks of rotting fish and kelp, a smell that cannot be cleaned or masked while the oil is in effect.
row;17;17;A spell scroll of hold person
row;18;18;A fist-sized emerald inscribed with the symbol of the Cult of the Crushing Wave (an elemental gem).
row;19;19;A small steel flask containing a potion of growth. The flask has the initials “AB” engraved on it.
row;20;20;A spell scroll of haste

Zacchaeus
April 23rd, 2016, 23:22
I hate to tell you this but that par5es fine for me too.

I can't reproduce your error, so all I can suggest is to delete your output folder. Make sure there isn't anything else in your input folder (apart from the two text files you are par5ing) and that all you have selected in configuration is referencemanual.txt and tables.txt.

You could also try deleting your .properties file and redoing that.

FSHSchmo
April 23rd, 2016, 23:54
I hate to tell you this but that par5es fine for me too.

I can't reproduce your error, so all I can suggest is to delete your output folder. Make sure there isn't anything else in your input folder (apart from the two text files you are par5ing) and that all you have selected in configuration is referencemanual.txt and tables.txt.

You could also try deleting your .properties file and redoing that.

Found what it was. I was naming the module "D&D Adventurers League Amendments - Curse of Strahd" had to change it to "DnD Adventurers League Amendments - Curse of Strahd"

LordEntrails
April 24th, 2016, 01:47
& is a special character *g* Gotta watch for avoid those :)

FSHSchmo
April 24th, 2016, 04:32
Next project I am working on is building out the CoS AL Pregens. First off let me say that the way it pulls spells, etc from other modules is amazing. The problem I am running into is the Hit Points, Speed, HD, and the backgrounds are not filling in and/or linking properly. See attached screenshots. I am getting no errors when I parse them but within FG when I add the PC it tells me that some of the data records were unable to be loaded. I understand that there are some custom items in there which I am fine with but unsure of why the remaining issues are popping up.

Human (Cloistered Scholar)
Human Cleric 1 (Cloistered Scholar), Neutral good
Armor Class 17
Hit Points 10 (1d8)
Initiative +1
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA 9 (-1) 11 (+0) 15 (+2) 14 (+2) 16 (+3) 13 (+1)
Saving Throws Wisdom +5, Charisma +3
Skills History +4, Insight +5, Medicine +5, Religion +4
Special Senses passive Perception 15
Languages Common, Elvish, Draconic, Dwarven
Personality Traits Mirth. You seek opportunities to smile and share the warmth of a fire, particularly with new friends. Bookworm. You enjoy the quiet moments spent reading and learning.
Ideals Honesty. One can accomplish in the bright light of truth what a legion of liars cannot.
Bonds An End to the Undead. You seek to overthrow the cold, soulless tyranny of the undead from the lands of the living.
Flaws Convicted. It is hard to change your mind once you have decided on a corse of action.
Armor Proficiencies Light armor, medium armor, shields
Weapon Proficiencies Simple weapons
Tool Proficiencies None
Armor Scale mail; Shield
Weapons Mace; Crossbow, Light
Equipment 20 Crossbow bolt;Holy symbol of Deneir;Scholar's robes of the Vault of Sages;Pouch;Bedroll;Mess Kit;Tinderbox;10 Torch;10 Rations (1 Day);Waterskin;Rope, Hempen (50 feet);Writing Kit (includes a small pouch with a quill, ink, folded parchment, and a small penknife);Borrowed copy of Van Richten's Guide to the Walking Dead
FEATURES
Spellcasting;D&D Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide - Player's Guide;Class
Arcana Domain;D&D Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide - Player's Guide;ClassAbility
Cloistered Scholar;D&D Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide - Player's Guide;Background
TRAITS
ATTACKS
Mace. +1 1d6 + 1 bludgeoning
Crossbow, Light. +3 1d8 + 1 piercing
SPELLCASTING
Cantrips. Firebolt;Guidance;Sacred Flame;Shocking Grasp;Spare the Dying;
Spell Slots. 2
Prepared Spells. 4
Spells. Bless;Cure Wounds;Guiding Bolt;Healing Word;Inflict Wounds;Sanctuary;Shield of Faith
#!;DD PHB Deluxe

Zacchaeus
April 24th, 2016, 09:32
I don't think you can do this with the public version of par5e

astromath
April 24th, 2016, 12:25
@FSH

I don't know about the hp, speed or HD, but under FEATURES, it should be:

Library Access;D&D Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide - Player's Guide;Background

In other words, Cloistered Cleric is not a Feature of Cloistered Cleric.

However, I do think it is interesting that how to code Pre-Gens is in the Par5e User's Guide if you can't use it.

Zacchaeus
April 24th, 2016, 12:52
However, I do think it is interesting that how to code Pre-Gens is in the Par5e User's Guide if you can't use it.

It isn't that you can't create pregens; I just didn't think you can use the linking in the public version. But it maybe that you can since you've spotted an error.

FSHSchmo
April 24th, 2016, 13:06
@FSH

I don't know about the hp, speed or HD, but under FEATURES, it should be:

Library Access;D&D Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide - Player's Guide;Background

In other words, Cloistered Cleric is not a Feature of Cloistered Cleric.

That did the trick on the feature, thanks! Now to figure out the issue with the errors on the main page.

It isn't that you can't create pregens; I just didn't think you can use the linking in the public version. But it maybe that you can since you've spotted an error.

Yup, linking is working properly.

Zacchaeus
April 24th, 2016, 13:46
Ok, after more testing there's some good news and bad news.

Not only is linking working in the public version but you can link anonymously. So instead of specifying what the source book is you can replace it with a '*'. So you can do this:

Spellcasting;*;Class

And append below the last line of the character this:

#!;*

What this will do will search for any module that contains the information and link that to the character sheet. So if you replace all instances to the SCAG with a '*' and replace
#!;DD PHB Deluxe with #!;* then everything should link up.

However as far as I can see the AC, speed and other bits are broken. I'll report back if I can make any headway.

astromath
April 24th, 2016, 18:11
This may be an error in the user's guide under the Pregen entry. I don't know. The line in question is this:

Hit Points # (#d#);

instead of

Hit Points # (#d#)\n

Zacchaeus
April 24th, 2016, 18:38
Yes, that is an error. It makes no difference whether it's there or not though. It really does look like the pregens code is broken in the public version of par5e. My suggestion is create pregens in FG and export them then if you want to cobble them into a module in xml.

It's a struggle anyway doing pregens in par5e since many things will never appear such as inventory items for example.

Targas
May 4th, 2016, 19:01
I've an issue with parse displaying images correctly. Parsing completes without errors. I've added the images into the images folder (and noticed par5e has a problem with PNG format, only JPG files are accepted). In my referencemanual.txt file I've added this code:
#zls;
#zl;image;Zhentarim;Zentharim
#zle;
However if I open the link, a grey window pops up and the jpg files are not used. Does anyone know what's going wrong ? I tried to search the forum, but to no avail.

Btw. par5e seems to have an issue with 'umlaute' or special characters, simply stopping parsing in between. After noticing I'm now avoiding any special characters.

Zacchaeus
May 4th, 2016, 19:20
In order to reference images in a reference text you need to use 'refimage' and you also need to specify the tag of the image.

#zls;
#zl;refimage;Zhentarim.jpg;Zentharim
#zle;

Of course it goes without saying that the images must also be parsed (I know it's obvious but I forget to do that all the time) by clicking on the appropriate option in the Configuration menu.

Just an FYI. Images are always .jpg files but tokens and Thumbnail are always .png

Edit: And yes the character range is limited. It's not a limitation of par5e but a limitation of the character set used by FG.

Targas
May 4th, 2016, 19:33
Works like a charm. Thx! I didn't notice because the refimage class was omitted in the docs. I always load the .properties, after I (re)configure, which helps against not ticking the options in the config menu. The example in the doc for the image class doesn't mention the suffix in image filenames, I suppose it's because it was originally meant to be used on Macs?
Anyway, you saved my day!

Zacchaeus
May 4th, 2016, 19:38
Works like a charm. Thx! I didn't notice because the refimage class was omitted in the docs. I always load the .properties, after I (re)configure, which helps against not ticking the options in the config menu. The example in the doc for the image class doesn't mention the suffix in image filenames, I suppose it's because it was originally meant to be used on Macs?
Anyway, you saved my day!

It's an undocumented markup. It was probably just about one of the last things that Zeus was working on when par5e ceased to be a public tool. I believe that Zeus does use a Mac so you might be right about the image tag.

Targas
May 5th, 2016, 08:16
I've seen recent modules for purchase, which not only have a link to the image, but the image automatically displayed, when opening like in here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/screenshots/Screenshots/SQG1500FG/Primeval_Thule_NPCs.jpg
Is it possible to have the same implementation in par5e?

Tigerstrike
May 5th, 2016, 08:31
Help trying to par5e the classes in fantasy grounds by hand. I followed the tutorials and did everything the person did. Except when i par5e it, all it says is...

Info : folder structure .................................................. ............. [Already Exists]
Info : engine build .................................................. ..................... [v0.0.9-b62]
Info : ruleset library .................................................. .......................... [5E]
Info : module .................................................. ................................ [class]
Info : ruleset .................................................. .................................. [5E]
Info : folder structure .................................................. .................... [Created]

What am i doing wrong here ? i got the backgrounds and races just fine.

Zacchaeus
May 5th, 2016, 11:28
I've seen recent modules for purchase, which not only have a link to the image, but the image automatically displayed, when opening like in here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/screenshots/Screenshots/SQG1500FG/Primeval_Thule_NPCs.jpg
Is it possible to have the same implementation in par5e?

Not in the public version, no.

Zacchaeus
May 5th, 2016, 11:30
Help trying to par5e the classes in fantasy grounds by hand. I followed the tutorials and did everything the person did. Except when i par5e it, all it says is...

Info : folder structure .................................................. ............. [Already Exists]
Info : engine build .................................................. ..................... [v0.0.9-b62]
Info : ruleset library .................................................. .......................... [5E]
Info : module .................................................. ................................ [class]
Info : ruleset .................................................. .................................. [5E]
Info : folder structure .................................................. .................... [Created]

What am i doing wrong here ? i got the backgrounds and races just fine.

Hi tegierstrike and welcome to FG and to the community.
There's not enough information in this to determine the problem. There will be something wrong with whatever you are trying to par5e. All you can do is check your files carefully for errors. I've sent you a PM.

Tigerstrike
May 5th, 2016, 11:49
Thats all that it gives me for lines tho. the bottom line only happends after i delete the output folder. other wise its just those lines above it.thats when i try to just make a "class module" by it self

This is what happends when I try and combine races,backgrounds and classes. then it just stops doing anything after. This is with races, backgrounds,class and tables checked.

Info : module .................................................. ............... [Background Class Races]
Parse : background .................................................. .................... [Acolyte - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................. [Charlatan - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ................... [Criminal - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ................ [Entertainer - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................. [Folk Hero - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .............. [Guild Artisan - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ..................... [Hermit - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ...................... [Noble - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................. [Outlander - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ....................... [Sage - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ..................... [Sailor - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................... [Soldier - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ..................... [Urchin - OK]
Parse : backgrounds .................................................. ....................... [Completed]
Make : backgrounds windowlists .................................................. ........... [Completed]

and this is with class unchecked.

Info : module .................................................. ............... [Background Class Races]
Parse : background .................................................. .................... [Acolyte - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................. [Charlatan - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ................... [Criminal - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ................ [Entertainer - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................. [Folk Hero - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .............. [Guild Artisan - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ..................... [Hermit - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ...................... [Noble - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................. [Outlander - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ....................... [Sage - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ..................... [Sailor - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. .................... [Soldier - OK]
Parse : background .................................................. ..................... [Urchin - OK]
Parse : backgrounds .................................................. ....................... [Completed]
Make : backgrounds windowlists .................................................. ........... [Completed]
Parse : subrace .................................................. ..................... [Hill Dwarf - OK]
Parse : subrace .................................................. ................. [Mountain Dwarf - OK]
Parse : race .................................................. ............................. [Dwarf - OK]
Parse : subrace .................................................. ....................... [High Elf - OK]
Parse : subrace .................................................. ....................... [Wood Elf - OK]
Parse : subrace .................................................. ................ [Dark Elf (Drow) - OK]
Parse : race .................................................. ............................... [Elf - OK]
Parse : subrace .................................................. ...................... [Lightfoot - OK]
Parse : subrace .................................................. .......................... [Stout - OK]
Parse : race .................................................. .......................... [Halfling - OK]
Parse : race .................................................. ............................. [Human - OK]
Parse : race .................................................. ........................ [Dragonborn - OK]
Parse : subrace .................................................. ................... [Forest Gnome - OK]
Parse : subrace .................................................. ..................... [Rock Gnome - OK]
Parse : race .................................................. ............................. [Gnome - OK]
Parse : race .................................................. ........................ [Deep Gnome - OK]
Parse : race .................................................. ......................... [Aarakocra - OK]
Parse : subrace .................................................. ..................... [Air Genasi - OK]
Parse : subrace .................................................. ................... [Earth Genasi - OK]
Parse : subrace .................................................. .................... [Fire Genasi - OK]
Parse : subrace .................................................. ................... [Water Genasi - OK]
Parse : race .................................................. ............................ [Genasi - OK]
Parse : race .................................................. ........................... [Goliath - OK]
Parse : race .................................................. .......................... [Half-Elf - OK]
Parse : race .................................................. .......................... [Half-Orc - OK]
Parse : race .................................................. .......................... [Tiefling - OK]
Parse : races .................................................. ............................. [Completed]
Make : races windowlists .................................................. ................. [Completed]
Parse : tables .................................................. ............................ [Completed]
Make : tables windowlists .................................................. ................ [Completed]
Make : tables (campaign) .................................................. ................. [Completed]
Make : tables (reference) .................................................. ................ [Completed]
Make : backgrounds (reference) .................................................. ........... [Completed]
Make : races (reference) .................................................. ................. [Completed]
Make : module xml data .................................................. ................... [Completed]
Make : archive data .................................................. ...................... [Completed]
Make : module xml library entries .................................................. ........ [Completed]
Write : module xml data .................................................. ................... [Completed]
Write : module xml syntax .................................................. ............... [Well Formed]
Write : module xml definition .................................................. ............. [Completed]
Write : copying module images .................................................. ............. [Completed]
Write : copying module tokens .................................................. ............. [Completed]
Write : copying module thumbnail .................................................. .......... [Completed]
Cook : module archive .................................................. .................... [Completed]
Build : module .................................................. ............................ [Completed

also another small problem Genesi sub races are in and working, added them successful. but they dont show up under the sub race category. Yet i can choose them when i drag the race to the char sheet. any clues?

Zacchaeus
May 5th, 2016, 13:27
I'm afraid posting a list of what appears in the Console doesn't really assist in determining what problems you might have. Par5e isn't very good at giving up clues as to what the problems might be with something you are trying to par5e but 100% of the time looking at the output won't tell you where to look except if something comes up with a warning. Par5e will often par5e things which aren't right either.

So when you are trying to diagnose a problem you need to look at the text file that you are trying to par5e becasue that's where the error will be. Common things to look out for are incorrectly placed or missing semi colons ';'. Missing or incorrectly placed commas or full stops. Transposition of numbers into letters for example Id6 instead of 1d6. Missing or incorrectly placed spaces. For example 1d 6 instead of 1d6. There are others which I can't think of at the moment but you get my drift.

When parsing the absolute best advice is do it in small doses. Don't chuck 24 Backgrounds into a text file before trying to par5e. Do one, par5e, move on. Some things require a minimum amount of information before they will par5e at all; this is usually shown in red on the documentation.

I don't know why the Genesai aren't showing up, all I can suggest is to check and double check that the syntax is correct. Also, just in case, change the name to something different. I have seen instances where par5e just doesn't like particular names. For example it won't par5e something with 'list' in the name like 'specialist'. Don't ask me why :)

FSHSchmo
May 8th, 2016, 14:17
So while this isnt 5e related, this is Par5e related (they don't have an official thread over there for Par5e). I am working on a project for Core RPG and using Par5e to build out a reference manual. The parse goes through fine but when I try and open something within the reference manual I get the following error -

Ruleset Error: windowcontrol: Database type mismatch for control (text) in windowclass (referencemanualpagecontent)
Ruleset Error: window: Control(blocks) anchoring to an undefined control (text) in windowclass (referencemanualpagecontent)
Ruleset Error: window: Control(blocks) anchoring to an undefined control (text) in windowclass (referencemanualpagecontent)

Zacchaeus
May 8th, 2016, 14:27
That looks like there is something in the text that can't be included in a reference manual page. Have you got formatting in the page or links or something like that?

Edit: Just did some testing. I suspect that the CORE Ruleset has moved on and it's no longer possible to create a reference manual that is readable by FG in the public version of par5e. I just got the same error with a file that I know was working but no longer does.

FSHSchmo
May 8th, 2016, 14:31
That looks like there is something in the text that can't be included in a reference manual page. Have you got formatting in the page or links or something like that?

I have story and table links along with some bolded text.

damned
May 8th, 2016, 14:35
So while this isnt 5e related, this is Par5e related (they don't have an official thread over there for Par5e). I am working on a project for Core RPG and using Par5e to build out a reference manual. The parse goes through fine but when I try and open something within the reference manual I get the following error -

Ruleset Error: windowcontrol: Database type mismatch for control (text) in windowclass (referencemanualpagecontent)

Im pretty sure this is till this issue...

Par5e for CoreRPG outputs
<text type="string">
while Fantasy Grounds is expecting
<text type="formattedtext">
and so the module loads but no content is displayed....

You need to do a find replace on your common.xml...

Zacchaeus
May 8th, 2016, 14:53

<text type="string">

Absolutely correct. I do remember you saying this before but as usual I forgot.

FSHSchmo
May 8th, 2016, 14:57

<text type="string">

Now that you say that I remember. I unzipped the module that parse created but it does not have a common.xml inside of it. Where would I find this file?

Zacchaeus
May 8th, 2016, 15:00
Now that you say that I remember. I unzipped the module that parse created but it does not have a common.xml inside of it. Where would I find this file?

I think damned means the db.xml file that you will find inside the unzipped module.

damned
May 8th, 2016, 15:01
You *should* remember - Im pretty sure you replied to it last time I posted it :)
What files have you got in your zip and what options did you choose in Par5e (post a screenie).

damned
May 8th, 2016, 15:02
I think damned means the db.xml file that you will find inside the unzipped module.

I was using common.xml but yes - it could be db.xml depending on what Par5e options you chose.

FSHSchmo
May 8th, 2016, 15:05
You *should* remember - Im pretty sure you replied to it last time I posted it :)
What files have you got in your zip and what options did you choose in Par5e (post a screenie).

Now that you mention that :D Screenshot attached14006

Zacchaeus
May 8th, 2016, 15:05
Ah, right. Does it create a common.xml if you choose 'Common' as your module type? I've never par5ed anything other than GM only and that produces a db.xml and a definition file.

Zacchaeus
May 8th, 2016, 15:06
Now that you mention that :D Screenshot attached

hehe, it'll be in the client.xml then :)

damned
May 8th, 2016, 15:07
Now that you mention that :D Screenshot attached14006

Use db.xml in this case...

Ah, right. Does it create a common.xml if you choose 'Common' as your module type? I've never par5ed anything other than GM only and that produces a db.xml and a definition file.

Yeah... I think common is supposed to be deprecated...

damned
May 8th, 2016, 15:08
too many tartan ninjas :)
there can be only one so I shall hit the sack!

Zacchaeus
May 8th, 2016, 15:09
too many tartan ninjas :)
there can be only one so I shall hit the sack!

LOL ;)

Night night!

FSHSchmo
May 8th, 2016, 15:38
You sirs are scholars among men! After some silly zipping/unzipping mistakes on my part the text is now working within the reference manual... Now to just figure out why my #zl are not working.

Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (reference_table : tables.tab_humanbackground@Victims of the Demon Lord)
Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (reference_story : encounter.enc_languagesofthenorthernreach@Victims of the Demon Lord)
Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (reference_image : image.img_cover_png@Victims of the Demon Lord)

Zacchaeus
May 8th, 2016, 16:29
You might struggle with referencing. It's a bit buggy I think.

Try #zl;refimage, for images. Also the image needs to be a jpg file not a png. I think referencing a table is broken but I'm not sure and not sure about story entries at all since I've never tried to link a story to a reference manual.

damned
May 8th, 2016, 23:49
i have yet to get zl working for CoreRPG... Im no expert but its quite possible it doesnt work...

Varsuuk
May 9th, 2016, 00:17
Hey, something I never asked when using PAR5E ... can anyone explain the "Archives" tab and what the two columns can be used for / to do?

Basically, what is: archive.db4o

Seems there are two options to add/remove NPCs and/or Magic items...? Not sure what that is/means.

Thanks,
Dan

Zacchaeus
May 9th, 2016, 10:33
You won't need to worry about the Archive in the public version of par5e; it's only used in the internal version.

Varsuuk
May 9th, 2016, 13:03
I figured as such - but (assuming the concept itself is not an IP) what is it used for?
Is there a way to describe what it does in that version? Like, is it some thing to store Spells from all prior parsed files so that newly parsed modules can extract the data from that file vs linking to it?

That's what I might use it for were I coding. It has the advantage of making a single point of updating since we cannot assume they have all the monsters/spells when clients buy the game.

Was just curious, I had assumed it was in use in "public" at some point as well. Didn't know it was never in use.

FSHSchmo
May 9th, 2016, 22:13
i have yet to get zl working for CoreRPG... Im no expert but its quite possible it doesnt work...

This makes me a sad panda

Varsuuk
May 10th, 2016, 00:32
The one that "worked before" - I'm sure this is what you meant, but to be clear - it worked before using the current public PARSE not an earlier PARSE so its Core that changed? - if it's PARSE that changed it may be postParsing oatchable ;)? Just checking cos my noobness guessed that 5e and core reference was pretty related.

Edit: Just did some testing. I suspect that the CORE Ruleset has moved on and it's no longer possible to create a reference manual that is readable by FG in the public version of par5e. I just got the same error with a file that I know was working but no longer does.

damned
May 10th, 2016, 02:09
The one that "worked before" - I'm sure this is what you meant, but to be clear - it worked before using the current public PARSE not an earlier PARSE so its Core that changed? - if it's PARSE that changed it may be postParsing oatchable ;)? Just checking cos my noobness guessed that 5e and core reference was pretty related.

There are subsequent posts to Zacchaeuss post that explain what is needed to get CoreRPG output from Par5e.

damned
May 10th, 2016, 02:10
This makes me a sad panda

FSHSchmo please note - just because I havent got it working doesnt mean it cant be done. I didnt spend that much time on it - I do use Par5e for CoreRPG but I have not as yet worked out linking...

Varsuuk
May 10th, 2016, 07:23
When I parse a background.txt file it creates an entry like <languages>Common, Aglarondan</languages> In the resulting background data section of the db.xml

Then, if I add this background to my character, it adds to the languages section the entire comma separated list on one line.

This is fine and dandy - I simply edit it into separate lines. But upon looking at the exported character XML and seeing the individual languages in a <languagelist> List of languages, I wondered if there was a way to create a background with XML tags listing them separately, even if I must post-process the parse output?

I know nothing about how parsed or built in/dlc data gets moved to the character sheet sections, I suspect it is covered in rule set docs/tutorials but I am not yet interested at that level. Was just wondering if besides <languages> there was a list version legal in that section of the XML that would then transfer to character sheet on different lines.

Just trying to glean insight as I work on my pet project.

Zacchaeus
May 10th, 2016, 10:22
I suspect that the language list tag may have been added following the additional language functionality which was built into FG in a recent update (either 3.1.6. or 3.1.7 I think) so that would post date the public version of par5e

Varsuuk
May 10th, 2016, 12:28
Ok, since I didn't know how the character sheet is populated from the dragged link inside the FG GUI, I want sure if there was any relation between the two or if some transformation was made as part of he to Character sheet process.

The question was just a Hail-Mary inquiry for my own curiosity.

Varsuuk
May 10th, 2016, 21:38
As I mentioned in another thread, I got that functionality to work with both existing module's background languages as well as my custom backgrounds.

Thanks to the most puissant Moon Wizard for his scripts lookup tip.
Next week I need to read one of those Lua books so I'm not just winging it ;)

astromath
May 11th, 2016, 00:24
I'm trying to parse the gelatinous cube. The problem I'm having is that the ooze cube trait and the engulf action has multiple paragraphs. I've tried \r but it doesn't work at all on the trait and it only works on paragraphs 2 & 3 of the action. Are there any hidden codes that would allow separate paragraphs?

Zacchaeus
May 11th, 2016, 10:34
No, you can't have multiple paragraphs in any action or trait. This isn't a pr5e problem it's the way FG handles it. You can't have any kind of formatted text in a trait or action description.

astromath
May 11th, 2016, 11:04
Hmmm. Interesting. The Gelatinous Cube from the FG monster manual has 3 paragraphs for the trait (should be 4) and only 1 for the power (should be 4).

I just tried an experiment and it worked! All I needed to do is to have no line breaks between the end of one paragraph and the \r that begins the next. And now I have the paragraphs separated under the trait and the power.

Zacchaeus
May 11th, 2016, 12:03
Indeed, this is what I get for not checking stuff before making silly statements. Yes if you use \r then there must be no space after it and the whole thing should be just one sentence. It will then force the line breaks where you want them.

astromath
May 11th, 2016, 13:47
Question: How do you get the cost, weight, etc. to show up with the magic items in the magicitems.txt file without having to resort putting the magic items in the equipment.txt file.

Example: The bag of holding has a cost and a weight associated with it. But there's no guidance for adding that info to the magicitems.txt so that the cost and weight show up in the proper fields.

Varsuuk
May 11th, 2016, 14:00
I hesitate to ask because it might be in the PAR5E PDF but(but commuting to work and these questions are nagging me):
1. What is or was or was intended that the DM, DM/Player and ???Forgot third radio button do?

2. The difference between campaign and reference is what? I get that there is a reference book with more texty info but perhaps and overview might give me nackground understanding. For example, for some input files you can pick between them or choose multiple checkboxes. What does that do?

3. I recall teading that Arch is not used or applies? Not sure recall tight nut I know I never clicked on it.

Zacchaeus
May 11th, 2016, 15:57
Question: How do you get the cost, weight, etc. to show up with the magic items in the magicitems.txt file without having to resort putting the magic items in the equipment.txt file.

Example: The bag of holding has a cost and a weight associated with it. But there's no guidance for adding that info to the magicitems.txt so that the cost and weight show up in the proper fields.

You can't add a weight and cost to the magicitems.txt file in the public version of par5e. You'll have to create them as equipment if you want a cost and weight.

Zacchaeus
May 11th, 2016, 16:08
I hesitate to ask because it might be in the PAR5E PDF but(but commuting to work and these questions are nagging me):
1. What is or was or was intended that the DM, DM/Player and ???Forgot third radio button do?

2. The difference between campaign and reference is what? I get that there is a reference book with more texty info but perhaps and overview might give me nackground understanding. For example, for some input files you can pick between them or choose multiple checkboxes. What does that do?

3. I recall teading that Arch is not used or applies? Not sure recall tight nut I know I never clicked on it.

1. GM is GM only, GM/Player is both, Common is common. I think this harps back to the days when in FG you could have a module which was available to players and DMs when you loaded up. In other words in the modules library the DM can at the moment make a module shareable or non shareable. There used to be a third option which was a sort of force share. Since the third option was taken away a while ago there's probably no need for the three options in par5e. I don't know if there are any other differences but I always create as DM only and you can still share this if you want.
2. Generally campaign produces editable output and reference does not. In other words a campaign produces story, equipment etc all of which can be edited in FG. Reference material is not editable in FG. In some cases you can make local copies of reference material. For example you can make a copy of any equipment item from the PHB (a reference book) and then edit the local copy. For other items such as referencemanual.txt you can't edit or copy. So where a .txt file can be both Cmp and Ref you get items which can be copied and the copy edited. If it's only in Ref it can't be copied or edited.
3. There is no use for the archive in the public version of par5e.

astromath
May 11th, 2016, 18:08
You can't add a weight and cost to the magicitems.txt file in the public version of par5e. You'll have to create them as equipment if you want a cost and weight.

That's a real pain. Especially to somebody who's a stickler for details. I'll have to create them in the equipment file then.

I just came across a major problem. Weight. I added normal chain mail to equipment file. On FS, the weight of the armor appears on the table where it should be. Ok, so far. Clicking on the armor to bring up the description, the armor now has no weight showing. It shows the cost, AC Base, Dex Bonus, and Strength, but the weight field is blank. And there's no way to edit it in FS to add it in.

Varsuuk
May 11th, 2016, 18:20
Thanks so much for all that.

Ok, I get it now, didnt realize Arch was "Archive", I always read it as "Architecture" (Arch is normal programming abbreviation, eg x86, SPARC, powerPC, etc) which never made sense of course ;)

Darn, I had hoped the no copy thing was just a Licensed material flag that Smite set on their encrypted data. I've mainly stuck to story related things until now. But I can think of ways around that for my own personal content.

Zacchaeus
May 11th, 2016, 18:28
That's a real pain. Especially to somebody who's a stickler for details. I'll have to create them in the equipment file then.

I just came across a major problem. Weight. I added normal chain mail to equipment file. On FS, the weight of the armor appears on the table where it should be. Ok, so far. Clicking on the armor to bring up the description, the armor now has no weight showing. It shows the cost, AC Base, Dex Bonus, and Strength, but the weight field is blank. And there's no way to edit it in FS to add it in.

But when you drag it into the items dialog or into a PCs inventory the weight will magically reappear.

Zacchaeus
May 11th, 2016, 18:33
Thanks so much for all that.

Ok, I get it now, didnt realize Arch was "Archive", I always read it as "Architecture" (Arch is normal programming abbreviation, eg x86, SPARC, powerPC, etc) which never made sense of course ;)

Darn, I had hoped the no copy thing was just a Licensed material flag that Smite set on their encrypted data. I've mainly stuck to story related things until now. But I can think of ways around that for my own personal content.

No, I don't think it's to do with copy protection but it's to prevent users from overwriting things that they shouldn't. Since reference material such as rules is generally static you don't want to inadvertently mess all that up. Whereas you should be able to edit NPCs or equipment for example (which are also of course copyright).

astromath
May 11th, 2016, 18:40
That is utterly weird.

Varsuuk
May 11th, 2016, 20:22
I don't recall now but I had wanted to copy text out to create something of my own based on that. instead, I typed it all by hand ;). I think not being able to edit reference once made makes sense. however, I was trying to copy data FROM reference. but, I slippery off topic from PAR5E ;)

No, I don't think it's to do with copy protection but it's to prevent users from overwriting things that they shouldn't. Since reference material such as rules is generally static you don't want to inadvertently mess all that up. Whereas you should be able to edit NPCs or equipment for example (which are also of course copyright).

Varsuuk
May 12th, 2016, 17:40
What is "Specialty text" supposed to be? If I put in data here to test it, it appears in the generated db.xml in what I would believe is an incorrect placement.

Parse Docs:
[##;{Name of background}\n
[{descriptive text line }\n]
Skill Proficiencies: {text}\n
Tool Proficiencies: {text}\n
Languages: {text}\n
Equipment: {text}\n
[{speciality text}\n]
Feature: {name} \n
[{feature text} \n]
Suggested Characteristics\n
[{text}\n]

Example input:
##;Acolyte
Description1
Description2
Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Religion
Tool Proficiencies: Insight, Religion
Languages: Common, Aglarondan, Orc and Elvish
Equipment: A holy symbol (a gift to you when you entered the priesthood), a prayer
Other stuff.
Feature: Shelter of the Faithful
FeatureDesc1
FeatureDesc2
Suggested Characteristics
Acolytes are shaped by their experience

parses to:
<lists/>
<reference static="true">
<backgrounddata>
<acolyte>
<name type="string">Acolyte</name>
<p>Description1</p>
<p>Description2</p>
<p>Other stuff.</p>
<h>Proficiencies</h>
<p>
<b>Skill:</b> Insight, Religion</p>
<p>
<b>Tool:</b> Insight, Religion</p>
<p>
<b>Languages:</b> Common, Aglarondan, Orc and Elvish</p>
<p>
<b>Equipment:</b> A holy symbol (a gift to you when you entered the priesthood), a prayer</p>
<h>Features</h>
<listlink>

Bug in parse, leftover something or other or?

Zacchaeus
May 12th, 2016, 17:50
Just a guess but it may have been something that existed in an early iteration of D&D Next which didn't make it into 5e.

zeracool2k
May 12th, 2016, 18:15
Indeed, "specialties" were added in the 2013-08-31 D&D Next playtest packet, as a way to give players using the same classes more "flavor options". From the playtest packet:

"A specialty represents specialized knowledge and training that helps defines your character’s approach to adventuring. A typical specialty represents something like a fighting style, training in special magical techniques, or knowledge of certain tricks of the trade frequently used by adventurers.
Two characters might both be fighters, for example, yet behave in different ways based on their specialties. One is a guardian, defending others from foes’ attacks, while the other is an archer, picking off opponents from afar. Your character’s specialty helps define your play style and preferred techniques."

Examples of specialities include the Archer (receives feats Rapid Shot at level 1, Sniper at level 3), Guardian (receives feats Defender and Hold the Line at levels 1 and 3), Jack of All Trades (receives Skill Training at levesl 1 and 3), an so on. So, specialities are actually class options, the only difference being that back during early playtesting they weren't tied to classes, but to the characters (they were akin to backgrounds).

Varsuuk
May 12th, 2016, 20:52
thanks to you both for the background (pun not intentional) info.

I wish there was a place to get various iterations of DDNext rules. I wasn't involved in D&D past early 3.0 and then only less than a year. my background was 1e, 1.5 ;) and 2e. it would help me converting material from that time period better.

What I don't get about this specific issue is how it is listed under "Equipment". or at least that is what is implied to me as a non Next-oscenti person. all other [{text}] type entries seemed to describe the "main" heading above is. for example, text section following Feature describes the feature. I could not imagine what would appear as a follow up to "equipment"

in any event then, it may be less an issue of "crazy placement" in the XML since it is placed after the main background description, as it would probably appear in print, I am guessing (out my butt, admittedly)

but ok, I will leave that out of my parser's parsing.

Indeed, "specialties" were added in the 2013-08-31 D&D Next playtest packet, as a way to give players using the same classes more "flavor options". From the playtest packet:

"A specialty represents specialized knowledge and training that helps defines your character’s approach to adventuring. A typical specialty represents something like a fighting style, training in special magical techniques, or knowledge of certain tricks of the trade frequently used by adventurers.
Two characters might both be fighters, for example, yet behave in different ways based on their specialties. One is a guardian, defending others from foes’ attacks, while the other is an archer, picking off opponents from afar. Your character’s specialty helps define your play style and preferred techniques."

Examples of specialities include the Archer (receives feats Rapid Shot at level 1, Sniper at level 3), Guardian (receives feats Defender and Hold the Line at levels 1 and 3), Jack of All Trades (receives Skill Training at levesl 1 and 3), an so on. So, specialities are actually class options, the only difference being that back during early playtesting they weren't tied to classes, but to the characters (they were akin to backgrounds).

pierce768
May 15th, 2016, 22:51
For some reason when I'm trying to create my own module it wont let me include images.

Console gives me this.

Info : module .................................................. ................ [Talgrun and the Micar]
Parse : image .................................................. ......................... [test.jpg - OK]
Parse : image .................................................. .................. [The Ambush!.jpg - OK]
Parse : images .................................................. ............................ [Completed]
Parse : npc .................................................. ............................. [Jacobo - OK]
Parse : npcs .................................................. .............................. [Completed]
Make : npcs windowlists .................................................. .................. [Completed]
Parse : story .................................................. ...................... [(In Order) - OK]
Parse : story .................................................. .................... [Introduction - OK]
Parse : story .................................................. ................... [The First Inn - OK]
Parse : story .................................................. ............ [The Shipment departs - OK]
Parse : story .................................................. ........................ [The Cave - OK]
Parse : story .................................................. ............................. [Completed]
Make : story windowlists .................................................. ................. [Completed]

Parsing the images works fine, and the story works fine. But it always gets stuck at Make : story windowlists. At the bottom of the console PAR5E says its ready, but it never completes the build.

LordEntrails
May 16th, 2016, 01:23
I've never done images, so I'm of little help, but I do notice that one of your images uses a special character (!). I suggest you take out all special characters, and maybe spaces too and try again.

I suspect one of the gurus will be along before too long and tell you what's really wrong, but until then, you can try my suggestion and maybe get lucky :)

pierce768
May 16th, 2016, 04:02
I've never done images, so I'm of little help, but I do notice that one of your images uses a special character (!). I suggest you take out all special characters, and maybe spaces too and try again.

I suspect one of the gurus will be along before too long and tell you what's really wrong, but until then, you can try my suggestion and maybe get lucky :)

Heyyyyy! You fixed it! Thanks man. I really should have thought of that. I just started using this program today, but still.

LordEntrails
May 16th, 2016, 18:12
Heyyyyy! You fixed it! Thanks man. I really should have thought of that. I just started using this program today, but still.
Good to hear :)

astromath
May 17th, 2016, 16:59
I have just discovered that #ts;, #th;, #tr;, and #te; (table codes) do not work in story.txt

I was trying to create a simple non-die rolling table.

jshauber
May 17th, 2016, 17:53
I have just discovered that #ts;, #th;, #tr;, and #te; (table codes) do not work in story.txt

I have found the best way to make a non-rollable table is just use the \r command to give you a new line.

I.E.

Table of Metal Bands \r1. Ironmaiden \r2.Megadeth \r3.Amon Amarath.

That should give you a nice looking list. that will look like this in your story...

1.Ironmaiden
2.Megadeth
3.Amon Amarath

The \r command is also used in NPCs to separate different spell levels for ease of viewing.

Zacchaeus
May 17th, 2016, 18:41

Indeed. You can't embed a table into the middle of a story, in the same way you can't do so within FG. However you can have list entries inside a story.

astromath
May 17th, 2016, 22:58
You can actually create a table in the story portion. I found out how. Right click to bring up the circular menu. Click on T (paragraph formatting), then click on tables. That will give you a table with one cell. Hitting enter will add a new row. Using CTRL + TAB adds a new column (technically a new cell but it is in a new column).

Zacchaeus
May 18th, 2016, 00:41
Correct. I'd forgotten that little trick.

astromath
May 18th, 2016, 03:48
I just found a handy-dandy way of joining lines together without having to go to each CR/LF to delete and add a space in Notepad++. Just highlight the lines you want to join and use CTRL-J. This makes things so much easier.

I was copying and pasting from a pdf, and this copy/paste added CR/LF after every single word. There was literally a couple hundred CR/LF I had to change. Then I found this Notepad++ feature.

This is the helpful hint for the day.

astromath
May 18th, 2016, 04:08
I just came across a problem with spells.txt

It parses all but the last spell on the list. And it doesn't matter what the last spell is. I've tried deleting the last spell. It would then parse all but the "new last" spell.

EDIT: It parses all the spells just fine. However, during the actual parsing, the last spell doesn't show as being parsed, but it still shows up in FG.

damned
May 18th, 2016, 04:41
I just found a handy-dandy way of joining lines together without having to go to each CR/LF to delete and add a space in Notepad++. Just highlight the lines you want to join and use CTRL-J. This makes things so much easier.

I was copying and pasting from a pdf, and this copy/paste added CR/LF after every single word. There was literally a couple hundred CR/LF I had to change. Then I found this Notepad++ feature.

This is the helpful hint for the day.

You can also use ctrl+j within fantasy grounds story entries.

astromath
May 18th, 2016, 06:06
EDIT: Accidental post.

Fate
May 18th, 2016, 08:07
Hi, looking for some help. I've created a rollable table to include in a class. The table parses fine but I can't figure out the code to list in the class.txt file to link to it so the table shows up in the class when viewed in fantasy grounds.

edit: nm, figured it out.

damned
May 18th, 2016, 08:23
Hi, looking for some help. I've created a rollable table to include in a class. The table parses fine but I can't figure out the code to list in the class.txt file to link to it so the table shows up in the class when viewed in fantasy grounds.

edit: nm, figured it out.

Always post your fix - even if it was user error - as someone else will have the same issue at some point. :)

Fate
May 18th, 2016, 14:35
Sure thing. This is for the Anti-Paladin class mod I'm setting up for Fantasy Grounds. The link I used in the class.txt file was #zl;table;Table: Random Conditons. The name of the table in the tables.txt file was ##;Table: Random Conditions. Like I said the table was parsing fine, but I was misspelling the table name in the link. It won't let me post the table for some reason, something about too many url's in the post.

Thanks again damned :D

Fate
May 18th, 2016, 22:28
I have set up the Lycan race which parses fine, but one of the ability score modifiers is not working, not sure if my text or syntax is incorrect. The increase to Strength works fine but the decrease to Intelligence does not copy over to the character sheet when the subrace is picked.

#!;Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1.
#!;Ability Score Decrease. Your Intelligence score decreases by 1.

Any help would be appreciated.

astromath
May 18th, 2016, 22:35
Ability score decreases do not exist in 5e, only increases.

Fate
May 18th, 2016, 22:42
ah, well that explains it, will have to have the player adjust it manually.

Thanks much

damned
May 18th, 2016, 23:55
Can you do #!;Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by -1.

Fate
May 19th, 2016, 00:10
Good suggestion damned, unfortunately it didn't work. I've spoken to the DM and we agreed to remove the stat decrease from the race. So no worries.

Thanks much.

astromath
May 19th, 2016, 03:59
One of the things about 5e is to recreate the races so that they will never, ever have ability score decreases.