PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e vs. Pathfinder

PhilFischer
January 29th, 2013, 03:15
I am curious if 3.5e and PFRPG modules are interchangeable?

That is if buy "The Banewarrens" which I believe was designed for 3.5e will it run flawless under Pathfinder rules?

Or are there minor flaws/differences you have to make?

JohnD
January 29th, 2013, 04:17
There are some small differences, but you should be able to run it fine. I have a campaign that I'm using with 3.5 and PF and there are no issues.

The biggest from my perspective is that PF PCs are more powerful than their 3.5e counterparts at the same level.

ddavison
January 29th, 2013, 04:24
The biggest thing is that you will need to manually calculate the CMB/CMD for your NPCs. As for the PC's being tougher in Pathfinder than in 3.5E, you can always turn on the preference for your NPCs to have MAX hit points instead of the standard hit points. You can toggle that back and forth as needed and it will only affect when NPCs and monsters get added to the combat tracker.

jasonthelamb
January 29th, 2013, 08:10
I think the biggest thing between 3.5 and PF is that they took a lot of the skills and combined them, like you just have "Perception" instead of Spot, Listen, etc.

S Ferguson
January 29th, 2013, 16:53
There's a few differences in hte Stat blocks of NPC's (Alignment, for example is part of the NPC's "type" in the Pathfinder module, as opposed to 3.5e), and the addition of Combat Maneuvers. Additionally, Pathfinder, as a roleplaying game, is more "balanced" in ways that 3.5e could only dream of. Fundamentally, Pathfinder draws more from 3e and builds on that, whereas 3.5e was more plugging up holes (it would later go through "3.7e,". used in the Star Wars Saga Edition, and then to 4e, which is the way WOTC got their game balace figured out). Pathfinder also works on the Stat block system which is designed for simplicity.

All in all, anything that is 3.5 can be modified (with little work) to fit Pathfinder. When it comes to the other way 'round, the ease of transfer stops.

Trenloe
January 29th, 2013, 18:14
I've got the Banewarrens module for FG and you can use it with Pathfinder easily. As mentioned above, the main thing will be NPC stats - the question you will have to ask yourself is how accurate a conversion do you want to do to the NPCs? Just run them as is, or change them to be Pathfinder accurate (skills, CMB/CMD, PC class hit dice, etc.). You can do all or nothing - up to you.

It's a good module, by the way - and I find it easy to run it with Pathfinder.