PDA

View Full Version : Strength drain

Booker Grimm
January 22nd, 2013, 15:17
Apologies if this has been asked before.

How can I have a shadow monster drain the strength of my PCs on a hit?
In its attack line of the monster entry I have this:

ATK: Incorporeal touch +3 melee (1d6 Str)

This just adds 1d6 to the wounds of the character and does not actually drain his Str abilities.

Do I just have to enter it as another effect - and use it more like a spell?

Callum
January 22nd, 2013, 16:19
Do I just have to enter it as another effect - and use it more like a spell?
Yes. :) ;)

Booker Grimm
January 22nd, 2013, 16:48
How?

Strength Drain; STR: -1d6

doesn't seem to do anything!

Also following the example in the EFFECTS Library guide,

DMG: 1d6 [STR]

Does nothing either... what am I doing wrong?

Trenloe
January 23rd, 2013, 03:07
Just roll the D6 and apply that as damage against STR on the main tab of the character.

Phystus
January 23rd, 2013, 03:26
According to the documentation ability modifiers don't support dice. :(

The only way I've found is to roll the d6 manually then apply a modifier like Str drain;STR:-4; (or whatever the roll result was). Bit of a pain, really.

~P

Willot
January 23rd, 2013, 09:23
According to the documentation ability modifiers don't support dice. :(

The only way I've found is to roll the d6 manually then apply a modifier like Str drain;STR:-4; (or whatever the roll result was). Bit of a pain, really.

~P
mmm worked for me. Roll a d6 in the chat window then drago the result (in the chat windows not the die itself) onto the Damage field on the main page

Trenloe
January 23rd, 2013, 13:59
I think Phystus was referring to the effects documentation indicating that ability modifiers don't support the use of dice - as Booker Grimm found trying to use effects like STR: 1d6 which didn't work.

The example in the effects guide that include a stat name, e.g. DMG: 2d6+1 [CON] is when the effects adds the stat to the damage, i.e. 2d6 + 1 + the CON bonus. This is not applying damage to the CON stat. These examples are actually from 4e rather than 3.5e - the effects system was first developed for the 4e ruleset so sometimes the 3.5e documentation still has 4e related "stuff" in it.