PDA

View Full Version : Taking a LONG time to load FGII...

gamemasterbob
January 22nd, 2013, 06:32
I run FGII on Windows 8. I have the latest version (Jan 10th 2013 I believe). I run 4th edition as Dm. I run 3 MODS. The Towns and Shops and Map layers.

The time to get to the launcher is normal. Once I choose a game and click to run it it can take as long as 5 or 6 minutes to load. This is a new thing. It never took this long. A minutes or two but not 5 or more.

I run 2 instances of FGII on my laptop during the game. One as GM and another that I display on another monitor to a live, at the table in the room game group. I use the second PLAYER version to show maps with fog, etc...Players love it.

The long load happens BEFORE I run the Player version.
Any suggestion?:confused:

Bob

damned
January 22nd, 2013, 08:58
try deleting the campaign cache on your computer - back it up first - and also try typing /flushdb in fg chat

JohnD
January 22nd, 2013, 12:37
Do you have a "huge" amount of tokens?

gamemasterbob
January 22nd, 2013, 20:00
I did have a lot of tokens and deleted nearly all of them. I also did the /flushdb but was no help. When I roll the dice they are choppy too. The whole program seems sluggish. Can the problem be Windows 8?

Griogre
January 22nd, 2013, 21:12
Is you hard drive light running constantly? If so you may be running FG on virtual memory. Try closing all modules and restarting FG and seeing if it runs any better. If your computer doesn't have much RAM and the library modules are large the computer might not have enough RAM to hold everything and have to store part of the data on the hard drive which is very, very slow compared to RAM.

damned
January 22nd, 2013, 22:42
how many windows do you have open in FG?
i dont remember exactly how many but if I have a certain number of windows i start to experience that... mind you that was on my W7 computer with 3G ram. havent experienced it on my W8 computer with 8G ram but I also make a point to close fg windows as soon as i dont need them...

gamemasterbob
March 1st, 2016, 05:32
Around the time of this thread I decided to NOT run FGII anymore. I just could NOT get passed the choppy dice. Recently I reinstalled FRII into my W10 machine. I had forgotten why I stopped using it. I purchased the D&D5 PHB and DMG for FG. It was running fine. Then, one day I ran the software and ... the choppy was back. Never did figure it out. Now I'm sorry I purchased the $100 addons. I am NOT pushing my system or running a lot of open windows. That would be the first thing I would look for. My session is lean and the dice are choppy as are all actions. I did install a second monitor. I read somewhere on the forum that someone thought this was an issue. I uninstalled the monitor and no change. I am so confused. Any takers on this one?

damned
March 1st, 2016, 05:40
Does your monitor have G-Sync?
Does your laptop have two monitors (many do)?
If you just run FG on one screen and test and then just run it on the other screen and test what happens?

gamemasterbob
March 1st, 2016, 23:30
No. No G-Sync.
Using a Desktop with Geforce 210. A mid level card.
I do use two monitors. At first I didn't and FG worked fine. Then with two monitors it did not. I removed the second monitor (uninstalled) with no change.

The choppy low FR happens with any load. At the FG home I attempt to roll one d20 and it shops and skips. No other screens open.
I am convinced this is simple but illusive.

I run windows 10
8gb ram
i3 3.3 dual core. (virtual 4 core)

It is not my system. Something is in the way of FG. I don't know what it is.

Thanks for the reply. Keep me posted if you discover anything.

damned
March 1st, 2016, 23:39
Hi gamemasterbob - go into settings and switch to Test channel and update. Please see if the frame updates for Combat Tracker fix your issue.

gamemasterbob
March 1st, 2016, 23:55
I fixed the problem BUT I hope there is another way.

Before I saw your reply I did the following:
I have a dual monitor setup using a GeForce 210 AND a Tritton USB to VGA adapter for the second monitor. I uninstalled the Tritton software and the FR lag was gone. I had to UNINSTALL the Tritton software not just disable it. A compatibility problem. Perhaps I will send them an email describing the problem. Do you have any ideas?

I'm using USB 2.0. That could be it. But even when I disconnected the monitor and disabled (BEFORE I UNINSTALLED IT) the adapter I still had the FR problems. Interesting. I even went into task-manager and shut down the driver and no change. Hmmm

Like I said the fix I have is a fix but I loose my dual monitor setup.

damned
March 2nd, 2016, 00:00
thanks for the update. Fantasy Grounds uses DirectX so pass that info on to them if you do log a ticket.
You may also be able to retry using the Triton but tweak its advanced settings - specifically for FG - some adapters give you an option to configure application specific settings.
What settings to change? I dont know. Id start with refresh rate and any DirectX options might be available.

notrealdan
March 2nd, 2016, 00:08
It's possible the Tritton software includes a service or startup application that runs whether or not the driver is loaded or the device is connected. That could account for having to uninstall it to remove the problem. Maybe the device and its driver can operate properly without that extra software, if it exists? Just a thought...

gamemasterbob
March 2nd, 2016, 00:32
Plenty of great ideas. I will look into the tweaking and the non essential software as well. This is an adventure in itself. ha.

IF there is an update that I think will be of interest regarding this topic I will post it.

thanx alot.

LordEntrails
March 2nd, 2016, 00:49
Though you probably already done this or it may not apply, but here are the display performce things I can think of:
- disable all extensions
- start a new campaign
- Unload all modules
- remove all tokens you added
- update graphics driver
- roll back graphic driver about 6 months
- re-install FG
- If you have dual graphics, onboard and card, use other gpu
- reinstall direct x

Hmm, phone wasn't showing g me all of this thread, ignore above info, but left it for others. I will add that I often have trouble when using usb drivers for display. ( I've given up using my Dell USB dock because of similar issues)

Trenloe
March 2nd, 2016, 01:18
Another good thing to keep an eye on is DirectX Diagnostics. On Windows press the Window key and the r key (at the same time). This brings up a "Run" dialog. Type dxdiag and press enter. This can report on drivers installed, any conflicts, how many displays it things you have (even when they're not connected) etc.. It's not going to fix anything for you, but it gives info that is useful on what DirectX thinks in on your system when you're installing/uninstalling/disabling drivers etc..