PDA

View Full Version : [Bug] Dice Rolls Not Displaying

Emrak
January 22nd, 2013, 04:26
We've been using FG2 for about 2 years now and there is one user who--for whatever reason--kept having issues with his dice rolls actually showing up in the chatbox. He would swear that he was rolling, but nothing showed. Additionally, he kept claiming that the dice weren't stopping when they hit the "walls" of the chatbox. It was a come-and-go issue with him, and I figured it was just some weirdness specific to his PC.

Having said that, over the past couple months everyone in the group has begun experiencing this bug at one time or another.

The best way I can describe it is that the chatbox borders are not in play. It's as if they don't exist and the dice just roll through them, and thus don't generate a chatbox message. Additionally, even if I drop the dice so they don't roll out of the chatbox, no message is generated.

We tend to use non-default rulesets (Pathfinder, Shadowrun, WH40K, etc.) so could that be the issue?

Thanks

leozelig
January 22nd, 2013, 12:29
My players had a similar issue. If they roll in the upper quarter of the chat window, the rolls will show.

Give that a try, it worked for us!

Emrak
January 22nd, 2013, 13:50
My players had a similar issue. If they roll in the upper quarter of the chat window, the rolls will show.

Give that a try, it worked for us!

I'll try that next time it happens, thanks! That said, what do you mean "roll in upper quarter?" Aka, are you saying the dice have to stay in that section or just begin their rolling in that section?

Would still appreciate some dev input on this though. Is there a method of "force rolling" that bypasses all the "dice" functions except for the random number generation?

We have tried dragging the dice into the number/macro boxes below and clicking them, but a couple folks report that it still doesn't work (haven't witnessed that specifically myself). Those folks who report the "number/macro box" bug are typically resolved by having them log out, then back into FG. Still though, they shouldn't have to do this.

Thanks

Callum
January 22nd, 2013, 16:15
This was identified as a bug when using older rulesets, and JPG has built a fix into the latest test release (2.9.3) - have a look at his post here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=139718&postcount=14 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=139718&postcount=14)

Emrak
January 22nd, 2013, 16:22
This was identified as a bug when using older rulesets, and JPG has built a fix into the latest test release (2.9.3) - have a look at his post here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=139718&postcount=14 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=139718&postcount=14)

You may not know this, but...

"Dice capture and roll region incorrect, if chat window not dynamically resizable. Fixed."

Is it saying that the reason for the bug is because the chat window can't be resized? Additionally, will all rulesets need to be tweaked before the bug fix is comprehensively resolved?

Thanks so much for the info! :)

Griogre
January 22nd, 2013, 21:18
Yes, the problem is the chat window in older rulesets can't be dynamically resized and when he added support for dynamically resizeable chat windows he broke something in the older rulesets that didn't have dynamically resizeable chat windows.

I imagine the fix will just make older rulesets continue to work as they have before the adding of support for dynamic chat windows. Roll in the upper quarter means throw and let go the dice in the top quarter. If your player is having trouble the safest way to get the roll to work is hold it over the top part of the window and throw it at either the left or right side of the chat box.

Optionally, you can get any dice roll to always work by dropping the dice on a hot key and pressing the hot key to roll the dice. Even if the the die flies out of the window it will show a roll in chat though if the roll does go out of the window it may not match the roll shown in the chat window.

Edit: Slain an evil typo... :dead:

gmkieran
January 24th, 2013, 20:29
Further note to Griogre's last, double clicking on dice indicators on either the character sheet or combat tracker (rather than drag 'n' drop) should also successfully roll at any time, depending of course on the amount of automation in your ruleset of choice.