PDA

View Full Version : Well about to quit after 3 years.... error error...

Magnatude
January 21st, 2013, 00:29
Well it seems that no one is willing to fix this ruleset.
The game of Iron Heroes I've been hosting came to some abrupt errors that caused Fantasy Grounds to crash to desktop.

I use any other ruleset and its working fine with no errors.

I've been running this game for over 3 years now... even through all the malfunctioning script errors.
There was a glimmer of hope as I thought someone was fixing the ruleset... but I guess I was just kidding myself.

So... do I quit? and tell my players thats it? Because it doesn't seem like help is coming.

damned
January 21st, 2013, 00:54
:(
Problem with the smaller rulesets... less people maintaining them and if something happens to that person - either to them or their time or their interest...
Id hazard a guess you could be plain out of luck...

Magnatude
January 21st, 2013, 01:53
Yeah just finished talking to a couple of the players... I think we are going to convert our game into C&C and use the siege method to convert their current class skills over.

It's too bad because this is a great ruleset for low-magic worlds like "Conan" Hyborian age or more European Real-historical campaigns.

Doug should pull the ruleset from sales, because as it stands now in the current version of FG, its not even worth being a freebie.

damned
January 21st, 2013, 02:40
+1 for C&C - mind you that is proving a hard ruleset to maintain to but it is a pretty good one nonetheless.

i would send an email to support re:Pulling Iron Heroes as Doug might miss this thread...

ddavison
January 21st, 2013, 02:42
Hello Magnatude,

I wasn't familiar with any game breaking bugs (or otherwise) on the ruleset. I am aware that it is much older and doesn't have nearly the bells and whistles of the newer rulesets -- such as double-click rolling and other automation features. I hate to pull anything if it's functional and still has good content -- however, it never did sell well. It's only sold 16 copies ever and only 3 last year.

We still plan to revisit some of the older rulesets and make them into extensions for the core 3.5 ruleset. Moon is revamping the ruleset architecture so this is possible without a bunch of additional effort for each spin-off. This would give every ruleset the same base functionality level and they'd remain current as it was upgraded. Both D20 Modern and Arcana Evolved are currently in the same boat. Work has already started on the revamp but this is a time intensive operation and while a lot of work has been done, there's still plenty left to do.

Do any other Iron Heroes GMs or players think it should be discontinued or still left for sale?

damned
January 21st, 2013, 06:05
i know this was flagged once before - and i think the main sticking point was the existing modules available - but if extension approach was used on C&C so that the C&C ruleset was an extension + modules, would that make it easier to keep maintained? converting the modules to the appropriate format would be easier for the community than doing the lua ruleset coding. converting monsters, converting equipment, converting spells, could be done far more easily than understanding how to move player initiative rolls from their current direct writes to a LUA OOB
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17835&page=2&highlight=band
or any of the other funky features Doc is working on...

Magnatude
January 24th, 2013, 01:08
I've encountered several CTD's using this ruleset (no others) and there is a hoard of script errors that pop up when loading as well as when pulling PC's into the Combat tracker. The CTD's occur when using Maps/Images and the mask tool is used.

Its a pain because when it crashes I lose everything set up in the Combat tracker resulting in having to reload the CT.

I'm moving everything (3 years of gameplay materials) to C&C because its a timebomb... these 6th level characters (started from 1st) will be sorely missed if we lose everything.
Well I hope things get fixed for the IH 3.5 conversion, but it is taking long and we just cant chance it any longer. We will be happy to playtest it if it ever gets done.