PDA

View Full Version : Could not connect to host - should work

NineShadowEyes
January 18th, 2013, 03:01
I have two PCs (Windows 7), both running the GM version of FGII, sitting next to each other, hooked up to the same switch and on the same network (192.168.1.9 and 192.168.1.5). Both PCs can ping each other and file sharing works between them with no problems. The host PC (.9) doesn't even have the Windows firewall service running. Yet the client PC (.5) can't connect to the host (.9). Tried it with three different campaigns, but can't connect to any of them.

Doing it the other way, if I connect to 192.168.1.5 (host) from 192.168.1.9 (client) it works. So it works one way, but not the other.

I'm not an idiot. I've been working with PCs professionally for 18 years. This should work. Why isn't it?

Also worth noting that an external client can't connect either (and yes I changed the port forwarding on my router).

damned
January 18th, 2013, 05:47
ok so test the connectivity:
on .5 do a telnet to .9 on port 1802
if that cant connect then you still have a fw issue of some sort

others:
do you have same license installed on both pcs?
some routers wont update nat changes without reboot - however that wont matter if you cant connect to tcp1802 internally
can you from .9 telnet to localhost 1802?
have you got a wireless and wired connection? try turning one off and rebooting and retesting.

NineShadowEyes
January 18th, 2013, 07:07
thx, but nm. figured it out. maybe i am an idiot.:D

damned
January 18th, 2013, 07:09
hah - we are all idiots at some point but your issue is a common one
it would be great to post your solution even if you think it was doh! moment because someone else will experience the same sooner or later...

NineShadowEyes
January 18th, 2013, 18:12
I'm almost too embarASSed to say...

I had forgotten that my antivirus program also has a firewall, which is why the windows firewall was disabled. :o My AV has been sitting there quietly doing its thing for so long that I total forgot about the FW.