PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: My Confession: Please Read

Trueshots
January 14th, 2013, 18:35
Upon the happening of a recent event I feel I need to share a few things with our community about myself. As I have only been here for 3 or 4 weeks, but have had so much fun I can't explain. I recently have been working with a GM on creating a toon for a campaign upon today finding out I have been removed from the campaign because in the GM's word, "didn't mesh well". This GM has been extremely good to me over the last week. We exchanged over 50 pm's I would guess in regards to character creation and I thought we had finished the character last night. Nevertheless I was still removed.

My point in this post is to share with you all something I was trying not to burned anyone with but appears I may no longer be able to hide it. For the last 25 years of my life I have battled with the illness Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). It's an illness in which wracks the brain in ways you can't imagine. I actually have a milder cases than some others with this illness. An example of how it effects me can be observer in my last week. Upon knowing I needed to make a character for this campaign I spent over 12-14 hours a day 4-5 days in a row building 1 single character. I could not turn my mind off and got an hour or two of sleep each night. Every time I thought I had it perfect, I found something that was "flawed" or the DM pointed out something that would not fit into the game. It literally ate at me. It's put me behind in my IRL work as well, but this is something my family deals with often so we are coping with it. We have tried medication but in 25 years we have found not that phases it. We recently change to eating a completely Plant Based Diet, which has helped control the onset, symptoms and urges more than any medicine I've ever tried.

This post is an attempt to warn GM's mostly and players secondly, of my condition and how it affects my play here. If it's something that you are unable to deal with I completely understand. But I do ask that you tell me early on after me signing up or noticing that I am in your group. This way I can remove myself so there will be no problems.

I do want to thank those who have graciously reached their hand out to me since I started coming around. Skellan, Arvo, Blackfoot, Trenloe, etc thank you for putting up with me and working with me. I hope to see you all soon in game!

sincerely,

Aaron Patterson

dberkompas
January 14th, 2013, 19:15
Aaron,

I really have to thank you. Coming out and saying this certainly wasn't easy.

Most people don't realize that conditions such as OCD, ADHD, SPD, Aspergers, etc are very real.

What makes it harder is that the AMA often doesn't recognize them.

Best of luck in your gaming.

BoomerET

Macgreine
January 14th, 2013, 19:32
Hey Bud,

I have never dealt with anything like that myself, but I have friends who have said it can be very tough. Sorry to hear that game didn't work out, but others will come along.

I for one have enjoyed gaming with you and having you as part of the campaign. See you tonight.
Mac

Grey Mage
January 14th, 2013, 20:00
I recently had the opportunity to play in a game with you True, and I have to say you were good company and fun to quest with. Your 'condition' obviously has its down sides... but everyone (in my experience) has those in one way or another... Glad you felt comfortable enough to share it with the community and also glad to have you across (the virtual table) any time.

JohnD
January 14th, 2013, 21:25
There are other games; if it didn't work out with one, eventually you'll find another where Player and DM do mesh.

I've been DMing since May 2012 here. There's always a bit of churn when you try to get a new campaign started.

Players expect one style of game; the DM delivers another; player stops showing up (usually without an explanation). DM recruits more players to fill the group. Repeat as needed.

Many times I've seen someone really enthusiastic about DMing a game; players are enthusiastic; DM realizes there's an actual time commitment needed to keep generating content (or decides the reality isn't as fun as they thought it would be); DM disappears. The Game Calendar page is littered with a plethora of examples.

Other times Real Life intrudes on both sides of the equation. The reasons are many and varied... all can lead to a "bad fit".

I've only ever had to remove one player from a FG group I'm DMing for - ostensibly it was due to language and a disregard for what I as DM felt was needed to maintain a cohesive group.

So it didn't work out this time... no harm no foul on either side of the coin. Better to find out now instead of later when you've invested a greater amount into your character/persona. You'll find another game (there's always the PFS games as one shots).

Willot
January 14th, 2013, 21:50
First Id like to say "good on ya"

Second remember its better if your character ISNT perfect.

For Example If you find your character is lacking in DEX, rather than try to rearrange things, come up for a reason why his DEX is lacking. Is he perhaps missing 2 fingers from his right hand? And if So why?

I have always found the flaws is what makes you character interesting as a "person"