PDA

View Full Version : PFS: My Confession: Please Read

Trueshots
January 14th, 2013, 18:34
Upon the happening of a recent event I feel I need to share a few things with our community about myself. As I have only been here for 3 or 4 weeks, but have had so much fun I can't explain. I recently have been working with a GM on creating a toon for a campaign upon today finding out I have been removed from the campaign because in the GM's word, "didn't mesh well". This GM has been extremely good to me over the last week. We exchanged over 50 pm's I would guess in regards to character creation and I thought we had finished the character last night. Nevertheless I was still removed.

My point in this post is to share with you all something I was trying not to burned anyone with but appears I may no longer be able to hide it. For the last 25 years of my life I have battled with the illness Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). It's an illness in which wracks the brain in ways you can't imagine. I actually have a milder cases than some others with this illness. An example of how it effects me can be observer in my last week. Upon knowing I needed to make a character for this campaign I spent over 12-14 hours a day 4-5 days in a row building 1 single character. I could not turn my mind off and got an hour or two of sleep each night. Every time I thought I had it perfect, I found something that was "flawed" or the DM pointed out something that would not fit into the game. It literally ate at me. It's put me behind in my IRL work as well, but this is something my family deals with often so we are coping with it. We have tried medication but in 25 years we have found not that phases it. We recently change to eating a completely Plant Based Diet, which has helped control the onset, symptoms and urges more than any medicine I've ever tried.

This post is an attempt to warn GM's mostly and players secondly, of my condition and how it affects my play here. If it's something that you are unable to deal with I completely understand. But I do ask that you tell me early on after me signing up or noticing that I am in your group. This way I can remove myself so there will be no problems.

I do want to thank those who have graciously reached their hand out to me since I started coming around. Skellan, Arvo, Blackfoot, Trenloe, etc thank you for putting up with me and working with me. I hope to see you all soon in game!

sincerely,

Aaron Patterson

levinth
January 14th, 2013, 20:33
Hi Aaron,

Firstly, you should be proud of what you do achieve despite of your condition. :) From the sounds of things there are still plenty of gamers out there who enjoy playing with you (and I'm looking forward to getting to tomorrow night!). I know from first hand experience how hard it can be to live with mental health conditions and how hard it can be to tell people, especially strangers, about it, so well done.

levinth

Skellan
January 15th, 2013, 00:06
Dont worry about it mate. I have always found you enthusiastic. I will be running another game soon and you are welcome to join

Gadreun
January 15th, 2013, 09:00
Glad to see you are still playing with the condition mate - i haven't played a game with you yet i think, but id be happy to anytime. In my profession i have many clients who suffer from a range of medical issues and its all about patience. You don't mean anyone any harm and you have a good positive attitude, so im sure many GMs and players alike will welcome your participation - especially Pathfinder Society who encourage everyone to come and try the game no matter your background. I know there is a group of guys here who will support you and thanks for being brave enough to open up, i know that's not easy mate.

Happy Gaming
Gad