PDA

View Full Version : using a vpn

immorion
January 13th, 2013, 18:09
I have a vpn. How do I use it with FG?

Trenloe
January 13th, 2013, 19:09
I'm not sure exactly how your VPN will affect Fantasy Grounds, as I don't know what you use your VPN for.

To use Fantasy Grounds as a player, all you need is an internet connection - you connect to the GM over the internet.

If you are a GM, it gets a little bit more complicated, as the GM's computer is a server that all the player Fantasy Grounds will connect to - usually on TCPIP port 1802. So, you need to setup port forwarding on your internet router for port 1802 to your local computer running Fantasy Grounds.

So, a few questions:

How are you intending to use Fantasy Grounds - as a player, GM or both?
How does your VPN work? Is it required to give you an internet connection, or would it be required for others to connect to you if you were a GM?
If you are a GM and you need it for others to connect to you, can you provide players with the VPN information and can all of the players connect at the same time?

The above are really general questions, without knowing how you plan to use Fantasy Grounds and exactly how your VPN works I can't really give an accurate reply to your question.

immorion
January 13th, 2013, 19:33
I plan to use Fantasy Grounds as a GM and player.

Players would be required to connect to me if I'm running a game.

I can provide players information to help them connect to my network. As far as I know players can connect at the same time. However, There can only be five (myself included) persons on the network.

If this helps, I'm using Hamachi for the vpn.:)

Trenloe
January 13th, 2013, 19:55
Other GMs on this forum use Hamachi, so it definitely works OK with Fantasy Grounds. I don't so can't give any specific info on what is required to run FG over Hamachi.

immorion
January 13th, 2013, 20:03
Thanks for taking the time to help.

JohnD
January 13th, 2013, 20:32
You may want to PM dr_venture - I know he uses Hamachi to run games in FG.

Griogre
January 14th, 2013, 09:06
To use Himachi just have all you players start Hamachi and add them into the same network. Then have them connect to your virtual IP address, with a VPN you can't use the FG alias.