PDA

View Full Version : ORE: Passing the torch

Brenn
January 11th, 2013, 12:42
The process of developing the one roll engine ruleset started quite a few years ago for me, right after I purchased Reign. The first and second iterations were Reign specific and therefore not something I could freely put into the public domain. With this third iteration I was shooting for a basic ore foundation that the other rulesets could then be done as extensions.

This ruleset is a base modification of the foundation ruleset and not complete. That said, there is a lot of the needed functionality present and working in the ruleset, it just needs to be finished. Unfortunately, with the way my life works, it would be several more years (if not a decade) before I ever got around to even getting a good beta of it out there.

I really don't want all of my work to go to waste if someone out there has the interest in the system and desire to complete this project. I'll check back in periodically if any have questions about what I did here or there. The code is not well documented but it does tend to be a bit verbose, so in many cases it reads fairly well. I'm not a professional programmer, it is just something I've dabbled with since I got my first TI-99-4a back in the early '80s.

The core of the beast is the one roll tracker and the most complicated code in the project is involved with the distribution of the rolls to all of the clients. Basically the tables are broken down into a string with control characters and sent to the clients through Comm.deliverOOBMessage. On the receiving end they are reconstructed and dealt with. Both the receive and send parsing functions are recursive so they don't read so well, however they are functioning and shouldn't have to be messed with that much.

The tracker has two modes controlled by clicking the text at the lower left. Declaration Mode and Resolution mode. Once the transition is made to resolution all pools present in the tracker are rolled and then the sorting of those rolls can be controlled by selecting how they are to be sorted(by width/by height) and clicking the sort button.

The right hand menu is cycled by clicking on the ORE title.

To get started just fooling around with this ruleset, first go to the System menu and enter some stats, skills and special dice. The character sheet is created dynamically so you won't have much on it until you do this. You can then create a character, set values and add whatever special dice you have to the skills. To roll a skill left click on the skill value and select roll from the radial menu. The process is similar for setting die values in the one roll tracker (either in declaration or resolution mode depending on the special die type).

Note: the only special dice code that is in and functional is the 'Assign Value' type, the nudge and special pool types don't have code present yet.

Truth be told this thing is very close to being useable on a basic level for ORE, it just needs finishing and I really don't have the time or drive to do so at this point.

I was currently working on pips showing up for extra dice in a pool that wouldn't be available to be rolled (in excess of 10) but would get eliminated first in the case of penalties. It's not right and that section of the code is pretty messy at this point.

Well I can't attach it even though the zip filesize is less than what it says the maximum can be. PM me if you want a copy of this and perhaps the code could be put on the wiki.