PDA

View Full Version : Two Humble Feature Requests

mattcolville
January 9th, 2013, 22:37
Not sure this is the right forum for a feature request, but who dares, wins!

I'm really impressed with all the usability features that came online in the past year, both from Moon Wizard and the community. Makes FG2 a really exciting platform to use. I have only two small requests for future versions.

1: Links on maps. This is not the end of the world, it would just be neat. I would like to have a map, and drop links onto it, so when I click the link, the linked entry opens. So I could, for instance, drop a link to the story entry for a building onto the building on the map. So when the PCs go there, I just click the link and there's the player text, GM text, illustrations, etc....

Seems to me this would have TONS of application. World map with links to smaller maps. Dungeon maps with links to encounters, etc....

2: Better token organization. I've got, seriously, like 1,000 tokens. I love these tokens, I paid for them, they look great. They're all named descriptively so *if* there were a way for me to show the tokens in a list and then filter them based on my needs, they'd be incredible useful. If I could tag tokens with metadata ("these are all undead") that would be even better.

I mean, maybe there are ways to do these things now and I just do not wot of them. In which case, hopefully others will be eager to hear how to do it as well as I.

Regardless, thanks for reading and keep up the good work. I have become a FG2 evangelist on other forums and FB.

saithan
January 9th, 2013, 22:51
item 1 already exists! called push pins... hold control while dragging any link to a map it will leave a push pin which can be seen every time you hold control. click the puch pin and the entry will open.

the second item I can understand that. I currently just organize my tokens by the bag. and name the bag for the items it contains.

mattcolville
January 9th, 2013, 22:54
Holy crap that's awesome. Man I love that. Love love love.

This is a really nice piece of software. :D

damned
January 9th, 2013, 23:13
yep - pins are awesome - i think they save massive amounts of time and just make things easier and yeah put tokens in bags.

mattcolville
January 9th, 2013, 23:16
Bags I know about, they're not what I need.

I have 1,303 monster tokens. I'd like to be able to quickly filter based on metadata. I mean, this is *why* there is such a thing as filters and tags.

Basically, the same functionality you've got in the module index, I'd like in tokens.

phantomwhale
January 9th, 2013, 23:48
I like the sound of token filtering - although not sure what data do you have to filter on other than the bag / token names ? E.g. so unless you have a bag called "undead" or a token called "skeleton (undead)" then I'm not sure how right now you could filter your undead tokens, without also having a feature to tag tokens too (do we have token tags ? Don't recall using them)

Might want to put in an entry here for the token filtering --> https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Also link back to this thread on the wish list request - I find it really useful on my wish list when there is a good forum thread discussing an issue linked to a wish list item with the request.

bennis1980
January 9th, 2013, 23:51
Metadata for tokens would be a nice feature - gets my vote

tdewitt274
January 14th, 2013, 00:31
I have my tokens grouped into modules. If I need one, I open the module.

One way is to put all the "small" creatures in one module and have subfolders for "goblin", "imp", etc. Just an example.

Iceman
January 19th, 2013, 14:15
I think they call them shortcuts but you can put pushpins on the map to link to text or other maps.
Unfortunately my shared bag of tokens doesnt actually share. I have the same token problem and wanted to put just a handful of one my players might use at their disposal, but to no avail.
And I will take a moment to reiterate my long standing feature request: The ability for a GM to provide electroshock treatment to the players in his campaign. Gotta keep those pesky players in line somehow! :D

Not sure this is the right forum for a feature request, but who dares, wins!

I'm really impressed with all the usability features that came online in the past year, both from Moon Wizard and the community. Makes FG2 a really exciting platform to use. I have only two small requests for future versions.

1: Links on maps. This is not the end of the world, it would just be neat. I would like to have a map, and drop links onto it, so when I click the link, the linked entry opens. So I could, for instance, drop a link to the story entry for a building onto the building on the map. So when the PCs go there, I just click the link and there's the player text, GM text, illustrations, etc....

Seems to me this would have TONS of application. World map with links to smaller maps. Dungeon maps with links to encounters, etc....

2: Better token organization. I've got, seriously, like 1,000 tokens. I love these tokens, I paid for them, they look great. They're all named descriptively so *if* there were a way for me to show the tokens in a list and then filter them based on my needs, they'd be incredible useful. If I could tag tokens with metadata ("these are all undead") that would be even better.

I mean, maybe there are ways to do these things now and I just do not wot of them. In which case, hopefully others will be eager to hear how to do it as well as I.

Regardless, thanks for reading and keep up the good work. I have become a FG2 evangelist on other forums and FB.

ddavison
January 19th, 2013, 18:00
Moon_wizard and I have been discussing a search filter across tokens and other XML data. With tokens, it would most likely be limited to things that make up part of the filename. With consistent naming you might end up with something fairly robust and usable though. Tagging might be another option and might be something we could combine with filename filtering/searching.

Moon has some other ideas he's considering that might work even better.