PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder novels

Skellan
January 4th, 2013, 19:56
Has anyone read any of the Pathfinder novels? I notice you get a boon with these and wondered if they were any good?

Malkavian_Andi
January 4th, 2013, 20:01
Do you know how you get the boon (I mean, is it included in the book, or do you get a code with the book that grants you access to the boon)? Do I have to buy the books directly from paizo to get the boon? (Otherwise, I'd think about buying one at amazon)

Trenloe
January 4th, 2013, 20:41
Has anyone read any of the Pathfinder novels? I notice you get a boon with these and wondered if they were any good?
I've read a bunch of the novels. A lot of the boons are similar to the holiday boons - one off use for a +2 bonus (or similar) to something relating to the book. Some of the chronicle sheets for the books do have additional equipment you can buy.

The various Pathfinder Tales chronicles are available to download in the right-hand sidebar in the PFS additional resources section of the Paizo website: https://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/about/additionalResources

Page 28 of the PFS guide details how to use these:

As a way of encouraging Pathfinder Society players to learn more about the Pathfinder Campaign Setting, characters may receive a Chronicle sheet for select Pathfinder Tales novels. To receive a Chronicle sheet for such a book, the player should print a copy of the Chronicle sheet, available on the Additional Resources list at paizo.com/pathfindersociety/about/additionalresources
and bring it along with a copy of the associated novel to a Pathfinder Society event. Before or after the game session, simply show the Game Master your copy of the book (either a physical copy or a name-watermarked digital ePub or PDF) to gain a signature on your Chronicle sheet. You may apply copies of this Chronicle sheet to any of your player characters. Once you have a signed Chronicle sheet, it serves as proof of purchase, and you no longer need to bring a copy of the book with you as you would an Additional Resource.

This presents challenges to online only players:

If a player has bought any of the Pathfinder Tales novels and wishes to get the relevant boon chronicle sheets signed off then they will need to provide proof of purchase - if bought online a screenshot of the order web page or the email confirmation, if a PDF a screenshot of the watermark or if a physical book a photo of the book. Please work with whomever you are asking to provide the boon chronicle to make sure this is handled properly.
Each player to provide a list of PFS numbers that they want chronicle sheet boons for - and details of any "select one of the following boons" that are required for each character.
The GM will provide you with electronic Pathfinder Tales boon chronicle sheets just like any other chronicle sheet.
If you wish to use a Pathfinder Tales boon in an online game you must be able to provide the GM with an electronic copy of the boon chronicle sheet.
Some of the boons are one-off use and so will need to be marked off the boon chronicle sheet when used. This will have to be done as an honesty system - but I will expect the use to be reflected on the the scenario chronicle sheet of the game where the boon was used.

You can send your requests for Pathfinder Tales chronicle sheets to me or your favourite/usual GM. If your usual GM does not want to handle this then just ask me and I will cover this off for you.

Skellan
January 4th, 2013, 20:52
cool, are the novels any good? Could you recommend any?

Trenloe
January 4th, 2013, 21:12
cool, are the novels any good? Could you recommend any?
Yeah, some are pretty good.

My favourite so far is "Death's Heretic" with "Prince of Wolves" second.

Prince of Wolves, Master of Devils and Queen of Thorns by Dave Gross follow the same 2 characters in that order. There are 3 short stories that provide prequels to the 3 full blown novels - read the 3 Dave Gross short stories (for free) here: https://paizo.com/pathfinder/tales/serial

There are many short stories set in Golarion in the link above - some of them by the same authors as the other Pathfinder Tales novels which are usually prequels to their novels, so it's a good way to get an idea of the author's writing style before you commit to buying a full blown novel.

wbcreighton
January 4th, 2013, 21:33
Prince of Wolves, Master of Devils and Queen of Thorns by Dave Gross follow the same 2 characters in that order.

I found the characters in these 3 novels very entertaining. Good read, and you start to empathize with the 2 of them. The other novels are decent ( haven't read them all yet ) but I like the Gross novels the best.

Trenloe
January 4th, 2013, 21:49
Prince of Wolves, Master of Devils and Queen of Thorns by Dave Gross follow the same 2 characters in that order.

I found the characters in these 3 novels very entertaining. Good read, and you start to empathize with the 2 of them. The other novels are decent ( haven't read them all yet ) but I like the Gross novels the best.
Don't forget Arni - he's a full blown character in Master of Devils! :)

Yeah, they are enjoyable - I've just finished Queen of Thorns, good read and great background info for Elves and Kyonin.

Prince of Wolves is good background for Varisian wanderers and Ustalav. Master of Devils for Tian Xia, monks and Oni.

lachancery
January 4th, 2013, 22:09
Any of the novels set in the River Kingdoms or Brevoy? I may have a specific interest in this area of Golarion... ;)

Trenloe
January 5th, 2013, 00:21
Any of the novels set in the River Kingdoms or Brevoy? I may have a specific interest in this area of Golarion... ;)
None of the current novels are and I'm not aware of any of the web fiction that is. There is "Prodigal Sons": https://paizo.com/products/btpy8lx5?Pathfinder-Tales-Prodigal-Sons-ePub

But this is just a collection of the 6 part story from within the Kingmaker Adventure Path book - which you'll have anyway.