PDA

View Full Version : Magic Bonuses (weapons, stats, etc) and handling in FG

DingoSoulEater
January 3rd, 2013, 17:02
I tried to make the topic header helpful for what I was asking about, I swear.

Anyway. Been using FG a while now, loving every bit of it, and running a Pathfinder game now. The game is liable to go into a higher bit of magical equipment for the party, however, and I'm trying to determine how best to handle some of the mechanics of it.

It leaves a few questions, so!

A - Is there any way to handle permanent-bonuses to such things as ability modifiers, without having to change the base stat? (players are 'forgetful' as to which stats have been altered by a magic item, i find)

B - Is there a way to handle the 'flaming' property on a weapon, or anything similar, without having to use the standard effect system? (Largely because the DMG:1d6 fire applies to everything, not just that sword)

C - Does anyone have any general suggestions for handling magic items in Fantasy Grounds ing eneral? Keeping track of who has what equipped (forgetful players, again), etcetera?

Syndrome
January 4th, 2013, 22:39
well the way i handle permanent bonuses like that is apply an effect with no expiration on it... such as INT: 2 or STR: 2... that way it doesnt mess with the original stats.. and flaming and such i usually make a seperate weapon in the character sheet with just the flaming damage... and a good way to keep up with whats equipped is having them use the inventory slots next to the name of the item... you can put where its equipped or just that its equipped in general

JohnD
January 5th, 2013, 00:33
The best way of dealing with forgetful players is this; if they don't immediately know what they have equipped, then they forgot to equip or bring whatever item it is they need to rely on. One time is all you'll need to nip this in the bud.

Syndrome
January 5th, 2013, 00:48
thats a good tactic as well lol... i just prefer to use the spaces to the right to keep up with where everything is at... placement of items is important for stealing em

Callum
January 5th, 2013, 10:26
I think that Syndrome has pretty much nailed the answers here. The only thing I'd add is that you should include the bonus type for ability modifiers, which is usually enhancement, eg:

INT: 2 enhancement

zryki
January 28th, 2013, 10:03
For effects like flaming in our game we created an effect like this:
DMG: 1d6 melee, fire

We have a character with a flaming burst heavy mace. We have not figured out a way to apply the extra critical damage which is 1d10 fire damage for this particular weapon. Right now we are using a method like Syndrome said we have a weapon called Flaming Burst just to roll the additional damage on a critical. Does anyone know if you can write an effect to apply the bonus damage roll automatically upon a critical?

Trenloe
January 28th, 2013, 17:21
Does anyone know if you can write an effect to apply the bonus damage roll automatically upon a critical?
Currently, effects cannot be used to apply damage just for a critical.