PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Runelords (Pathfinder AP)

Gwaihir Scout
January 3rd, 2013, 00:12
In the sleepy coastal town of Sandpoint, evil is brewing. An attack by crazed goblins reveals the shadows of a forgotten past returning to threaten the town—and perhaps all of Varisia.

Game Info
The game calendar page is here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=967).
We will use the community Teamspeak server.
The game sessions will be on Wednesdays at 7:00 PM CST (GMT -6) and run for about four hours.
This campaign is the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path, specifically the Anniversary Edition, which was updated for the Pathfinder rules.
There will be a lot of role-playing opportunities available, and I'll adjust based on what you do with the first few sessions. There's also a lot of dungeon crawling.
The entire adventure path should take at least a year to complete, so I hope that people joining can commit to a few months at least.
This AP has been approved for PFS credit, so at certain points you'll get a chronicle sheet as if you had just completed a 3 XP module with a pregen.
Once we have a group, I'll set up a forum.
The day of the first session is still undetermined, as I'm waiting for something else. It may be as early as the 16th, but there's a chance that it won't start until the 30th. In the meantime, I'll have time to customize the beginning of the AP to the PCs a little more.

Campaign Background
The Player's Guide (https://paizo.com/products/btpy8tgl?Pathfinder-Adventure-Path-Rise-of-the-Runelords-Anniversary-Edition-Players-Guide) has a lot of information to help you make your character fit the AP., including the campaign traits. However, the original player's guide (https://paizo.com/products/btpy8bd9?Pathfinder-Rise-of-the-Runelords-Players-Guide) has a much better introduction to Varisia and Sandpoint, so it is a highly recommended read. The feats listed in the original player's guide are not available (they were meant for D&D 3.5 and were replaced by traits), but the items are. The list of rumors in the guide are things you would learn just by spending a little while in one of the taverns, but keep in mind that if your character has just arrived to town he may not have had time to hear them yet.

Character Info
In general, all material created by Paizo is allowed if it fits the Golarion setting, barring some specific things. I may allow third-party stuff on a case-by-case basis.

Characters start at level 1 and will be level 17 at the end of the AP. We will use event-based leveling, not XP.

We will be using Hero Points (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/advancedNewRules.html) as described in the APG, inlcuding the feats, spells, and items. The antihero option is not allowed. Certain NPCs will also get hero points, mwa ha ha.

Attributes: 20-point buy.
Races: Pretty much any race listed as a PC option is OK, but no Drow, Duergar, Svirfneblin, or Goblins. I may block others after I look at them.
Classes: No Gunslingers. I don't think they'll mesh well mechanically with the AP. No Summoners if there's more than four players.
Traits: You get two traits, one of which must be a campaign, race, or regional trait. You may chose from the Player's Guide or from the campaign traits in the APG (lower down on the same page I linked for Hero Points), as they are also based in Sandpoint.
Equipment: Max gold by class. You may also have minor personal effects for free.
HP: Follow PFS rules. Max at first level, then 1/2 your HD plus 1 for every level afterwards.
Alignment: No evil characters. Chaotic Neutral characters who are selfish jerks are also not allowed, but CN characters who can play nice with the group so they can get a share of the treasure are fine.

Background: You'll start with an extra hero point for giving me a decent background. Try to keep it short, and your campaign trait should probably be at the core of the whole thing. I don't care about what events happened to you, unless they explain why you're in Sandpoint (at the start of the Swallowtail festival and the dedication of the new cathedral, if it matters). I care more about what you look like, who you worship (FYI, the six gods honored at Sandpoint Cathedral are Abadar, Desna, Erastil, Gozreh, Sarenrae, and Shelyn), how you like to spend your evenings, what your most prized possession is, what your biggest fear is, what you're willing to fight and/or die for, etc. You can make it as long as you like for your own information, but I probably won't read more than a couple of paragraphs.

If you're interested in crafting, there will be blocks of time for it. The first will come after you're level four.

I thought I'd warn you that this AP is a little light on the treasure for a while in the beginning. Don't worry, it will make up for it.

Feel free to ask me for advice.

House Rules
May change, of course.

Monks get full BAB.
Point Blank Shot is no longer a prerequisite for Precise Shot. However, it is still a prerequisite for any feat that has Precise Shot as a prerequisite, such as Improved Precise Shot.
Weapon Finesse is a free feat for weapon-focused classes, including every class with full BAB, rogues, monks, magi, clerics or inquisitors with the War domain, or oracles with the Battle mystery. Certain archetypes may also qualify.
The Climb and Swim skills are combined into the Athletics skill. Jumping may be performed using Athletics or Acrobatics. You may take the feat Skill Focus(Athletics).
Sorcerers receive their bloodline bonus spells one level earlier to match the oracle mystery bonus spell progression.
The Leadership feat is limited to only the cohort, and is not allowed if there are more than five players.

This one I'll do if the players want to use it:
Rolling a 20 for both the critical threat and the confirmation gives max damage.

This isn't really a house rule, but once the party can stop worrying about encumbrance, I'll won't make you track mundane consumables like ammunition and food. It's a drop in a very large bucket after a while, and I'd rather just handwave it as you getting all you need every time you're in town, like the rules already do with spell components. If you buy a quiver of a certain type of (mundane) arrow once, we'll assume you're always keeping your Efficient Quiver or Bag of Holding full of them. After a certain point I won't make you worry about paying for lodgings or stabling either.

Let me know if you have any questions, and hopefully I'll be able to set the starting date by next week.

Malkavian_Andi
January 3rd, 2013, 00:28
Sounds really cool. I already found the game calendar page before you postet this and signed up ;)

How would you like players to give you the character background? I suppose sending a PM would be an easy way.

Gwaihir Scout
January 3rd, 2013, 00:30
Yeah, that's probably for the best. Although, if there's no secrets, feel free to post it here. You might inspire others.

JohnD
January 3rd, 2013, 00:45
To clarify: every Wednesday is a game night?

Gwaihir Scout
January 3rd, 2013, 01:06
To clarify: every Wednesday is a game night?

Barring my schedule conflicts or Apocalypse 2: Revenge of the Mayans, yes.

Gertak
January 3rd, 2013, 01:28
I would be very interested in this game and I have signed up on the calendar. I have been looking for a week-day game and this sounds really fun. I'm leaving my class un-chosen at this point as I am pretty flexible in what I enjoy playing. My #1 preference would be a magus but if we need something else I am happy to fill the role.

Malkavian_Andi
January 3rd, 2013, 01:37
ok, my character isn't really a man of mystery, so I might as well give others some inspiration.

General Description: My character is Foetracker, a young Shoanti wearing simple clothes made of furs and leather.
His head is shaved and tattoed with tribal symbols in various colours.

When Foetracker was born, he was given the name Tariq. A few months ago, he performed a Rite of Passage was given the name Foetracker. His birth name is only used by very close family members.

Rite of Passage: Tariq and four other young Shoanti were sent into the wild to solve a problem that had emerged. Scouts had reported decreasing numbers of wild animals. Also, travelers had gone missing lately. The group decided to follow a herd of wild animals, hoping to finally meet whatever caused their disappearance. Tariq used his divine magic to increase his ability to track the animals, and that way, he quickly led the group to an old cave, that had been populated by an unnaturally large amount of giant spiders. The young Shoanti fought their way through the cave, evaded several cleverly placed traps, and finally found the source of the trouble: An Ettercap had made its home in this cave and had started preying on anything that came near. After a hard fight, the group defeated the creature. They returned to their tribe and received their new names.
The other members of the group are now known as "Kills swiftly", "Snarespotter", "Trial by Venom", and "Eight Leg Burn".

Travel to Sandpoint: Foetracker decided to leave his homeland and hunt down creatures that threaten the lives of common people who can't defend themselves. On his travels, he heard rumors about creatures attacking humans in coastal towns. He doesn't really want anything special in Sandpoint, he just went to town to hear some rumors. But since there's going to be a festival, he decided to stay a while longer and get some rest before he will hunt again.

Worship: Foetracker worships his totem, wolf. Although he doesn't worship the gods, he still has great respect for religions of good aligned gods and most of the neutral aligned gods, especially for Desna and Erastil.

Evenings: Spending the evenings depends on the circumstances. When he's alone, Foetracker works alot properly preparing animals he hunted so the meat and the fur are usable. When there are other people around, he will only do the absolutely necessary work, and spends the time with storytelling and singing.

His most prized possession: That's definitely a wooden amulet he carved himself after his rite of passage. It's a simple picture of a wolf and serves as his holy symbol.

Greatest Fear: Being raised in a Shoanti tribe, he shares his people's great fear of losing all of the Shoanti's ancient homeland and of the Shoanti being erased from Golarion.

What is he willing to fight and/or die for: His pack. It's not been long since his rite of passage, so he hasn't found anyone yet who he considers his pack. This was also a reason he decided to leave his tribe; he hopes to find people who he finds worthy of being his tribe.
(spoiler alert: this will be the other PCs)

Gwaihir Scout
January 3rd, 2013, 02:19
Nice and simple. I like it.

Don't let yourself be limited by the questions I listed, though. That was supposed to be what the "etc." was for. Skip a question and make up your own if you want, too. I'll look at the character files another time.

lordbeanis
January 3rd, 2013, 02:42
I am definitely in for this game. I am currently thinking cleric.

Trueshots
January 3rd, 2013, 15:37
Wow, is there a guide somewhere of how to make a write up like the one above? I have a weak imagination and no knowledge of dnd/ pathfinder lore. I would need some serious assistance in this area!

Malkavian_Andi
January 3rd, 2013, 16:17
Well, especially for Shoanti, it was a little easier for me, because their culture works a lot like in Werewolf: The Apocalypse, and I play that game as a LARP.
But you don't need that kind of experience to write a good character background.
The first thing you need to know is which culture your character is from. In Rise of the Runelords, the most obvious ones are Varisian, Shoanti, Elven (as far as I remember there are a few of them in Varisia), or maybe Ulfen. Of course, your character may come from somewhere else, which means he just had to travel a lot more to come to Varisia.
If you like, I can tell you a little bit about some of the cultures, and I'm sure there are a lot guys here, who know a thing or two as well.

For a start:
- Varisians are a little bit like gypsies, so they are traveling folks who like to dress in bright colors and have strong familiy ties. Among them, there are also the Szcarni, a large group of criminals (you might know them from Pathfinder Society).
- Shoanti are a tribes of proud barbarians. They mostly worship totems and they believe that spirits live in every part of nature.
- Ulfen are a bit like vikings. They are proud warriors and are usually quite large. They are also proud of their homeland (the land of the linnorm kings).
- I don't know much about the elven societies in and around Varisia right now. I would have to read a bit about them again.

Once you have a basic feeling for your character's native culture, you can come up with one or two big events in his life so far (for example, most cultures have special rituals during which a youth proves himself a worthy adult), and everything you need after that is a good reason for your character to have traveled to Sandpoint. Often, the campaign traits can help think of a reason.

ok, that's it for now. Feel free to ask more questions.

Gwaihir Scout
January 3rd, 2013, 16:18
Wow, is there a guide somewhere of how to make a write up like the one above? I have a weak imagination and no knowledge of dnd/ pathfinder lore. I would need some serious assistance in this area!

Read the original player's guide. It was the first thing players ever saw of Golarion, as this was Paizo's first adventure path. This will give you everything you need to know to make a character who grew up in Varisia. If you want to be a stranger, you can make whatever you like and I'll help you find a background. There are a lot of Earth-culture counterparts in Golarion. For example, one of the four big merchant families in Sandpoint (the Kaijitsus) is originally from Minkai, which is basically Shogun-era Japan.

If you want more information, you can check out the Pathfinder wiki (https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Pathfinder_Wiki).

Trueshots
January 3rd, 2013, 16:23
Read the original player's guide. It was the first thing players ever saw of Golarion, as this was Paizo's first adventure path. This will give you everything you need to know to make a character who grew up in Varisia. If you want to be a stranger, you can make whatever you like and I'll help you find a background. There are a lot of Earth-culture counterparts in Golarion. For example, one of the four big merchant families in Sandpoint (the Kaijitsus) is originally from Minkai, which is basically Shogun-era Japan.

If you want more information, you can check out the Pathfinder wiki (https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Pathfinder_Wiki).
I just bought the advance races guide I assume I should ding the race I want and read its past and try to convert to our setting here?

Trenloe
January 3rd, 2013, 16:24
Also, if you're not averse to spending a bit of money ($8) the Pathfinder Player Companion - Varisia is a nice resource: https://paizo.com/products/btpy8tim?Pathfinder-Player-Companion-Varisia-Birthplace-of-Legends

Gwaihir Scout
January 3rd, 2013, 16:24
- I don't know much about the elven societies in and around Varisia right now. I would have to read a bit about them again.

They're aliens (https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Elves#History). OK, not really, but most of them did leave the planet for a few thousand years.

Malkavian_Andi
January 3rd, 2013, 17:35
They're aliens. OK, not really, but most of them did leave the planet for a few thousand years.yep, I know that part. What I meant was there are differences between, for example, Kyonin elves and Mordant Spire elves. Those differences are not very big, but they do have some quirks unique to their region. (just as humans develop different kinds of society when they live in different countries)

Gwaihir Scout
January 5th, 2013, 07:17
I'd like to make a note for people who are making characters. Please stick everything you can on the abilities page. I'd like all feats and traits in the feats column, and all racial and class features (that aren't feats) in the special abilities column. Also, copy the description over so I can check it quickly. Add some information about your archetype if you're taking one. If you know how, make another spell class for your powers that are measured in times per day.

Remember, I'm happy to help.

Malkavian_Andi
January 5th, 2013, 15:07
ok, I added the domain power as a spell class and added a description of my archetype. So here's the updated xml.

Gwaihir Scout
January 5th, 2013, 19:28
ok, I added the domain power as a spell class and added a description of my archetype. So here's the updated xml.

Looks pretty good. I appreciate that you're not making me deal with you dragging a wolf into town. :P

Malkavian_Andi
January 5th, 2013, 19:42
you're welcome. I just liked gaining +10 ft. base speed from the travel domain better ;)
(and without an animal companion, the character has a better reason to ally with other characters. After all, a character who thinks like a wolf can't go without a pack forever.)

lordbeanis
January 5th, 2013, 21:41
Your domain will work out nicely because I am gonna play a cleric of Desna so our characters should mesh well

Gwaihir Scout
January 8th, 2013, 06:22
Update: There's a good chance we'll be able to start next week, but still uncertain. I would like to point out that there are currently seven people signed up for six slots. I haven't decided how I'll chose among them yet.

For those still pondering characters, besides the Shoanti Wolf Shaman and the cleric of Desna I have seen or discussed a half-elf magus of Tian descent, and a two weapon fighter or ranger, likely also with Eastern influence.

Gertak
January 8th, 2013, 21:11
From my experience there's always at least 1 person who doesn't show up, so hopefully it will all be ok. :)

Trueshots
January 8th, 2013, 21:15
From my experience there's always at least 1 person who doesn't show up, so hopefully it will all be ok. :)
My wife (Zyrah) is going to be able to play, Her last semester of school is a nightmare. So we can remove that DEAD WEIGHT from the list! Plus that leaves me more mobs to kill with my overly-thought-out twf that I've been bothering the GM about for 6-8 hours a day with :)

Gwaihir Scout
January 8th, 2013, 23:13
My wife (Zyrah) is going to be able to play, Her last semester of school is a nightmare. So we can remove that DEAD WEIGHT from the list! Plus that leaves me more mobs to kill with my overly-thought-out twf that I've been bothering the GM about for 6-8 hours a day with :)

Wait, there's no girl anymore? Now I have to re-write the whole thing!!!!

I'm sorry, silliness is my coping mechanism. I'll take the liberty of speaking for everyone in wishing her well. And lots of caffeine.

Let me and/or the thread know when you decide between fighter or ninja.

lordbeanis
January 9th, 2013, 04:03
His name is Carter Greenway and is of Varisian blood. I grew up in the village of Whistledown; which is known for its very large gnome population as well as the hundreds of chimes that blow in the evening wind. I grew up selling knickknacks of all varieties of things with my parents. Often traveling far with caravans that came through. I began worshiping Desna for luck and safe passage on these voyages during my teen years.

Slightly shorter than average height, just turned 22 with short brown hair, green eyes and a trim beard. Nothing remarkable feature wise. Stands out due to his bright green top hat that he wears, large hoop earrings and the crow's foot pipe that a gnome friend crafted for him before he left.

After leaving home I travel now on my own in a similar fashion as my parents did. Instead of random objects sold here and there to earn money; I have focused on charms of luck and good fortune appealing to any who might travel the dangerous roads and forests of the area. While praying primarily to Desna I have fond appreciation for the goodly Gods of the area and agree with many of their teachings. I am traveling to Sandpoint partly to offer respects to the new cathedral, but more so because there will be many people traveling to the festival and I should be able to sell a great stock of charms and trinkets.

Having spent years on the open road and in wide spaces I have heard tales of many beasts and vile creatures of all imagine. Knowing they are out there and they exist, though not having any first hand account, one might think that I would be most afraid of one of these creatures. Carter, however, is most afraid of water deeper than himself after an incident as a child in a lake nearby his home.

Gwaihir Scout
January 9th, 2013, 05:21
Great stuff.

We now have a druid, cleric, magus, probable two-weapon fighter, and Vanara (monkey-man!) archer ranger.

Gwaihir Scout
January 9th, 2013, 14:37
I've decided to expand the required campaign trait to allow a race or regional trait as well. This trait must be part of the core of your character's background. For example, the Varisian cleric above took the World Traveler trait. However, the campaign traits are specific for this AP (duh), so they're more likely to be useful in making your character fit.

Trueshots
January 9th, 2013, 14:50
So that means we get 3 traits or still only 2?

Gwaihir Scout
January 9th, 2013, 15:22
Two traits. One must be a campaign, race, or regional trait that is central to your character and ties it to the AP in some way. The other is whatever you want, except the normal rule that you can only chose one trait from each category. If you want more, take the Additional Traits feat.

Gwaihir Scout
January 10th, 2013, 05:31
OK, we're good to go for next Wednesday, the 16th. I'd like the characters by Saturday.

I'm working on an off-site forum.

Trueshots
January 10th, 2013, 05:36
You basically just confirmed that I will not be able to eat or sleep til Saturday......

Malkavian_Andi
January 10th, 2013, 11:06
Nice, I'm looking forward to it.
You already have my character (I had no reason to edit him since I last postet the xml in this thread).

avro5731
January 11th, 2013, 05:05
Looks like we need a caster of the arcane arts.... (Gwaihir let me know if you think I should change something)

Please welcome Iz`Marz, Thassilonian wizard of the sloth and former slave of the
dark mages of Kaer Maga. Seeking to leave behind this life of pain and journey to the Great Beyond, Iz`Marz has studied the history of the Ancients and of the great Nethy.

At 5"11 and 241lbs one would think this half orc of 24 yrs would rage like the others but his life was very, very hard. One just needs to looking in to his brown eyes to see the void. His grey skin riddled with scars from old beatings, even his hair has turned to a salt and pepper mix. Yet with all of the you can still see a great mind at work.

Entering Sandpoint, Iz`Marz hopes no one recognizes him from the Black Deer Inn. After all it was a small fire and he was just helping his master train those years ago. Maybe if adventure can't be found here then Iz`Marz will head to the Varisian Bay for a boat out. For now its off the "Wine Cellar" for some orc stout and maybe bring back a memory of the time when his eyes were clear and his heart soured.

lordbeanis
January 12th, 2013, 07:50
Here is my cleric; exported from fantasy grounds

Trueshots
January 13th, 2013, 02:35
That's right boy's, the greatest Pally to ever walk the earth has arrived. His name is Unnamed Hero (or until I find a name,lol). Stay tuned for the worst backgroud story ever written.

Gwaihir Scout
January 13th, 2013, 18:13
Looking forward to it. Let's take this over to the forum I sent you.

Trueshots
January 13th, 2013, 18:32
Tenohira Asa meaning "The Palm" "Healing". Tenohia Asa was raise by wonderful parents who shared with him that his purpose in life was greater than any who were born before him. Tenohira Asa's mother was dying during child labor, when an angel of Tsukiyo (her Deity) appeared and touched her stomach. The angel said "He Shall Save Us All From Evil". Immediately, all the pain ceased and Tenohira Asa was born.
His parents were extremely loving and nurturing and taught him the ways of Reiki, a healing form of spiritual energy. This form of healing can only be used with the use of a special spiritual power called "Ki".
Now that Tenohira Asa is an adult he seeks to find the one thing that keeps him from fulfillment of his life's purpose. He plans to venture out and find the source of this "Ki" and to use it to promote good on earth and to fulfill the words the angel spoke to his mother.
Tenohira Asa posses all the teaching of Reiki, now all he needs is the spiritual power to implement them. When he attempts to use his healing arts, his eye begin to glow white. As if powers inside of him needed to be released. His hope is to find a way to do this and he will sacrifice everything he is to do so.
Upon entering Sandpoint, Tenohita Asa meets an extremely old man named Mikao Usui who is apparently the healer with in the city. Maybe he can guide Tenohira on his journey.....[Umm, G.Scout, may need you to conjure up this man for me so my story fits :)]

Features:
Height 6'4". White Hair, 205lbs, age:22, olive skin with bright blue eyes(unless channeling KI energy, in which they glow white)

Gwaihir Scout
January 13th, 2013, 20:26
Oy vey, you weren't kidding.

Why don't you start by selecting one of the campaign traits, then we'll make a background around that?

Gwaihir Scout
January 14th, 2013, 03:32
OK, how's this one? Based on the Giant Slayer trait.

Hidden within the Wyvern Mountains of Varisia lies a monastery of Irori. Here, the Suli #NAME was raised from childhood after being discovered by one of the monks on a journey. As he grew up, he showed an aptitude for the #WEAPON and was trained in the way of the paladin. He was barely better than half-trained when a warband of giants discovered the monastery and raided it. #NAME killed two giants in the battle, and due to some chance or divine protection was the only one standing at the end.

Alone and aimless, #NAME has decided to head for Sandpoint, where he knows of a small Irori monastery run by Enderaki Sorn called The House of Blue Stones. Maybe he'll find some purpose there.

If you like it, come up with a personality or answer some of those questions I asked in the first post.

Skellan
January 14th, 2013, 15:41
Here's the xml

Baelmordan
January 15th, 2013, 00:53
It looks as though the slots for this game have been filled, but I thought I would ask anyway. Are there any open slots? Are you possibly in need of a backup just in case? If so, I would be interested. I have been running a game for nearly two years now, and I think the opportunity to play would be great. Thanks.

Bael

Gwaihir Scout
January 15th, 2013, 01:17
If a slot opens up, I'll let you know.

Baelmordan
January 15th, 2013, 01:19
If a slot opens up, I'll let you know.

Thanks. I hope to hear from you! Have fun, and good gaming!

Bael

Trueshots
February 17th, 2013, 14:03
@ G Scout

Hey man couldn't load my XML to the game site so loaded it here for ya, that was a nasty, nasty job. Hopefully one of these days I can get enough help with the Hero Lab editor that I can do major changes in Hero Lab. I was able to do some with the help of the Hero Lab forum but the code is way over my head. Never the less I manually edited it for my current level in FG's. If you have questions just ask. Thanks!