PDA

View Full Version : Solid PF Group looking for Monday GM

avro5731
December 29th, 2012, 23:14
Addicts (group) is looking for a supplier (GM) for any PF Campaign on Monday Nights 6:30p EST (-5 GMT)

Looking for GM (a fair but fun control freak with a god complex): THIS IS YOUR SPACE. :D

Players: life times of experience pretending to be other ppl (no social disorders here huh)
Avro5731
Trueshot
Trueshot's 2nd
Syndrome
Syndrome's 2nd
Malkavian_Andi
kozzom
Gertak

We are free for long walks on beaches (that lead to a dungeon) and long talks (/roll 1d20 buff check) :pirate:

JohnD
December 30th, 2012, 19:51
Good luck - it isn't often that a group organizes itself before having a DM so this is a twist on things! :)

Dershem
December 30th, 2012, 20:04
What are your min/max times on Monday?

Trueshots
December 31st, 2012, 00:14
We're pretty much free after 3-4pm EST on Weekdays for a bit of adventuring......

Malkavian_Andi
December 31st, 2012, 00:23
that's a good time for me, too.

Dershem
December 31st, 2012, 01:10
Would 7:30 to 11:30 be to late for the group?

Trueshots
December 31st, 2012, 01:12
Would 7:30 to 11:30 be to late for the group?
Not for wife and I, that would be perfect.

avro5731
December 31st, 2012, 01:23
730p should work will for most... I believe Malk is the only one of us not in EST.

Malk how does that work for you?

Trueshots
December 31st, 2012, 01:25
730p should work will for most...
Ummm...do we even have a DM? lol, I think were getting the cart before the horse :)

avro5731
December 31st, 2012, 01:30
Unless I was reading this wrong I thought Talysian was asking about the time the group can play, presumed he was asking as a GM.

Malkavian_Andi
December 31st, 2012, 03:20
For a regular campaign, that would be too late for me. (it would mean staying up all night for me. Just add 6 hours (for GMT+1) and you see what I mean ;) )

But it's ok if you play without me.

Gertak
December 31st, 2012, 06:33
If you find you have room for one more I would be most interested in playing, I'm looking for some weekday games.

Dershem
January 1st, 2013, 00:36
If you find you have room for one more I would be most interested in playing, I'm looking for some weekday games.

1. I wouldn't want to split up your group.

2. Reading on my ipad I'm an idiot and didn't notice this was in the PF forum. I play PF but I actually can't stand running it. (a bit to crunchy for my tastes, so I apologize for being a oaf and not catching that earlier.) For some reason my brain was reading this in the general discussion and not pf.... I'm so sorry.

avro5731
January 1st, 2013, 00:53
Added Gertak to our list

Malkavian sorry we may be too late for you as we are in EST, can you make it if we start 630p est (-5gmt)?

Thanks just the same Talysian.

dordur
January 1st, 2013, 02:16
i would really appreciate if i could maybe try playing with you if you have a dm btw im kinda newb at this but i have a character
(edit) its 2am now when im posting this

dordur
January 1st, 2013, 02:20
Ummm...do we even have a DM? lol, I think were getting the cart before the horse :)
btw i already have a horse and a carriage oh and i got 10k worth of items and gold im only lvl 3:)

avro5731
January 1st, 2013, 03:11
Dordur, maybe you and Malk should form a GMT + group

dordur
January 1st, 2013, 03:21
yeah maybe

dordur
January 1st, 2013, 03:22
For a regular campaign, that would be too late for me. (it would mean staying up all night for me. Just add 6 hours (for GMT+1) and you see what I mean ;) )

But it's ok if you play without me.
malk you got skype?

avro5731
January 1st, 2013, 03:34
Not trying to brush you guys off I just don't want to keep you up all night. I know GMT+ has a lot of folks too.

dordur
January 1st, 2013, 03:37
its ok i can actually play all night atm btw avro you got skype? and can i add you

dordur
January 1st, 2013, 03:40
its k i can talk more

Malkavian_Andi
January 1st, 2013, 05:14
Splitting the group wouldn't be a problem for me. It's already a lot of people, so we possibly wouldn't get everyone into a single group anyway.

by the way: is there anyone willing to dm at the moment? As long as there's no DM, this discussion is still very theoretical ;)

avro5731
January 1st, 2013, 05:46
No not yet hoping there might be someone but its still the holidays and people are doing other stuff. So we wait a bit.

JohnD
January 1st, 2013, 05:48
There are 7 of you; nobody is willing/able to take a shot at it?

If you guys can't find someone, perhaps you could rotate through the DM duties - everyone takes responsibility for putting together small adventures that take a few sessions to play. Unless of course not everyone has the Full version or better of FG in which case this is kind of a moot point.

avro5731
January 1st, 2013, 19:02
I know half of us have never gm'ed and are rules shy not sure on the other half. Also if the gmt+ folks branch off that leaves us with 5 if one gms that's 4 which is a min to play. Guess we could.

Trueshots
January 1st, 2013, 19:06
Yea, I've been playing around in the GM portion of FG for last 1.5 hours. I'm extremely confused and the videos for education are horrible imo. I was going to try and make something for my kids instead of playing on a tabletop. But at this rate, I won't have this figured out til New Year's 2014.....

dordur
January 1st, 2013, 19:38
i might be able to GM but idk if i would be good at it but i sometimes gm for my little brother when hes playing pathfinder with his friends (ps im 15 years old and my brother is 10)

JohnD
January 1st, 2013, 20:00
Yea, I've been playing around in the GM portion of FG for last 1.5 hours. I'm extremely confused and the videos for education are horrible imo. I was going to try and make something for my kids instead of playing on a tabletop. But at this rate, I won't have this figured out til New Year's 2014.....
I agree that the videos don't really give enough of a "do this like this and then do that like that" kind of walk through. That's unfortunate because the people who made them obviously know how to create a module/campaign in FG, and gave their time to put the videos together.

I found that just sitting there and watching the videos was a waste of time. What you need to do is watch a few minutes, then switch to FG and repeat on your own what you just saw in the video. You only need to learn how to add an image/map once - after that its always the same process, generally speaking. Same with other things like adding NPCs/creatures and making encounters.

I guess the thing is this; have some persistence and don't give up. When I was learning how FG worked, I observed a few games, then played in one, and then started putting my campaign together, aided by the videos and asking questions here on the forum. When I ran my first game, I was upfront and clear that, while I have almost three decades of DMing experience, I have none in FG - players knew that and were very helpful telling me how things should work (some of them were DMs themselves). By the third game session, it was more or less smooth sailing. It will all work out fine.

Trenloe
January 1st, 2013, 20:42
I've said this to so many people before with Fantasy Grounds - don't try to run before you can walk! Fantasy Grounds is a powerful application and can do lots and lots of things, but in order for it to do that there is complexity and it takes time to learn all the ins-and-outs of the interface and each ruleset. Don't expect to sit down and an hour later have a complete adventure prepared and be ready to play. A few tips:

Split what you want to do into small, manageable goals. e.g. Adding story entries, adding maps/images, adding NPCs, linking them together, running an encounter, etc.
For each of your manageable goals: read the relevant section of the user guide, watch some of the videos. Do this slowly, and with Fantasy Grounds running - frequently switch between the user manual/video and Fantasy Grounds to see what is being explained and try it yourself.
Slowly work towards your goal. Make many test/try-out campaigns; play around; connect as a player to your campaign and see what it looks like.
Search the forums for information.
Ask questions in the forums (please start a new thread for your questions) - please do this after you have done some background reading/watching yourself; there are plenty of good forum threads, videos and the user guides out there.

The time you spend getting used to the Fantasy Grounds interface and your ruleset/s of choice will not be wasted. The more you familiarise yourself with it up front, the more you will get out of it and any games you run will be more fluid and enjoyable for all involved. Fantasy Grounds actually makes running a game as a GM easier (in my opinion) - but you'll need to spend the time preparing for the game and familiarising yourself with Fantasy Grounds.

Just like any role-playing game, the GM has to do session prep - don't be put off by what seems a very steep learning curve at first; it soon becomes much easier. Just, I'm going to say it again, don't try to run before you can walk! :)

EDIT: Also, the 3.5E ruleset comes with a free scenario - activate the "Well met in Kith'takharos" module in a 3.5E campaign. This will add a number of "tabs" in each of the campaign entries (Story, maps & images, NPCs, etc.). Open the "story" list, select the first green tab at the bottom and see how the first 3 entries are laid out, have other links underlying and bring other entries together. Then watch the "Campaign Entry Basics" video available in the "Archived Video Tutorials" section in the "Downloads" page of this site (link at the top of the page). This will give you a good idea of how to put information into an FG campaign - it is a good starting point for GMs.

Macgreine
January 1st, 2013, 20:43
Hey Avro,
I have a campaign for evil pc's that's just about ready to go. I may be able to run this on Monday nights. There are a few things to consider before we get this going though.

1. It would require a lengthy commitment because its designed for level 1-20.

2. You must play an evil character (preferably lawful evil as your ultimate goal is to establish a new order).

3. It would need to be mostly bi-weekly to start and if time permits we could play some extra sessions.

4. I like shorter sessions because after 3 hours of looking at the computer screen I am done. Sessions will be 2.5 - 3 hrs. max. 7 pm to 10 pm CST. would be the best fit.

5. This campaign will hopefully be RP strong as it provides so many great opportunities. Therefore I would like to use the text chat for the IC main game and game play and voice for table talk and combat resolution.

If this sounds agreeable have a look here (https://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-way-of-the-wicked) and let me know your thoughts.

Mac

dordur
January 1st, 2013, 20:50
can i join?

Malkavian_Andi
January 2nd, 2013, 00:07
That campaign looks really cool. I'll still have to make up my mind if I can handle staying up that late every other week.

Gertak
January 2nd, 2013, 03:51
The game does sound interesting but I am looking for something a bit more frequent myself, so I will pass on this one. Good luck to all who participate!

Trueshots
January 2nd, 2013, 04:07
There are a few things to consider before we get this going though.

Man this looks like it could really be fun. I read everything on the other site you had linked, looks great. I did have one concern. I play this game to be uber and heroic. The character creation is not so uber imo. we get one 18 and one 8. On the other 4 stats the max we can get is 17 and possibly a 8. Average scores on that will be around the 12-13 mark I'd assume. And we can't choose which stats those rolls are applied to. So essentially I could end up with one good stat, one crappy and 4 sub pars. It is extremely difficult to make an even sub-par character with only 1 decent stat. I just don't want to commit, have crappy rolls and end up playing a campaign for a year on an extremely weak character. I'm gonna have to think about it a little more, but other than that the plot is incredible!

Macgreine
January 2nd, 2013, 13:51
Yea I understand your concern. I just thought I would put it out there since your group was looking. I think its designed for 4-6 players anyway so I would have to beef it up for 7. Anyway good luck guys. Anyone who is interested I will probably offer it up in the guild house soon.
Mac

Malkavian_Andi
January 2nd, 2013, 14:14
on that site, it says all races are ok. I assume that means all the funny stuff from the Advanced Race Guide?
Does it include things like Tiefling heritages (from Blood of Fiends)?

btw: I think the character creation looks interesting. Sure, you can end up with bad ability scores, but you can also end up with a really awesome character. But in the end, most character will have average scores, I suppose. (unless of course you roll very crappy)
I suppose many character builds are almost impossible that way (especially those that need many good ability scores). (but the paladin, being one of those, isn't allowed anyway :D )
So, if I manage to convince myself that this campaign is better than getting enough sleep :p , I'd love to give it a try.

dordur
January 2nd, 2013, 14:17
so it is also possible to play drakes?

Macgreine
January 2nd, 2013, 18:22
Advanced race guide is fine but i am not sure about the drake. Isnt it more of a creature then a race?

Malkavian_Andi
January 2nd, 2013, 18:44
:) Sounds nice. I already have fun ideas (those crime traits are a really cool way to get ideas for a background story) *gg* Seems like my inner discussion is tending more and more towards playing instead of sleeping :D

And for the drakes: Those creatures are CR 4-7 (depending on type). You can build such things as player races using chapter 4 of the Advanced Race Guide, but you'd have to make it a monstrous race (or at least an advanced race), and then such characters would be much more powerful than other characters.
Besides, as the info site says, such characters can be difficult in many situations (and the examples given there were Minotaur and Goblin, which are humanoids).
And on another thought: Why would anyone put a drake in a prison for criminals instead of just killing them or putting them in a zoo?

dordur
January 2nd, 2013, 20:46
And for the drakes: Those creatures are CR 4-7 (depending on type). You can build such things as player races using chapter 4 of the Advanced Race Guide, but you'd have to make it a monstrous race (or at least an advanced race), and then such characters would be much more powerful than other characters.
Besides, as the info site says, such characters can be difficult in many situations (and the examples given there were Minotaur and Goblin, which are humanoids).
And on another thought: Why would anyone put a drake in a prison for criminals instead of just killing them or putting them in a zoo?

maybe the drake is a a shapershifter an evil SHAPESHIFTER

Malkavian_Andi
January 2nd, 2013, 21:31
As a natural shapeshifter it would still be more powerful than other races.

But of course, a character can gain a shapeshifting ability as a class ability. For a drake or something similar to that, I suppose we're talking about level 6 spells ;)
(but I suppose it's a nice goal for a dragon-worshipping character to gain the ability to polymorph into a dragon)

Trueshots
January 4th, 2013, 07:26
Well I'm gonna go ahead and go for it and pray i get some decent numbers! is the game on the Calendar yet? If not save me a spot please.

avro5731
January 4th, 2013, 08:21
Evil Game is
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=968

Trueshots
January 5th, 2013, 01:44
I don't see anything when I click the link for the Evil game? Am I bugged? When does this campaign start looks like its gonna be fun!

avro5731
January 5th, 2013, 03:09
that was the calendar this is the forum
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17978 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17978)