PDA

View Full Version : Copying NPCs from 1 module to another

graphil
December 27th, 2012, 13:22
Using 3.5e.
Is there an easy way to copy monsters from 1 module that I've created to another module so I don't have redo them?

Trenloe
December 27th, 2012, 13:27
Modules are read-only - that is, you can't change the data within a module except by manually changing the base XML outside of Fantasy Grounds in an editor.

You can change an NPC within a campaign - drag the NPC from the library to the NPC list and modify them there (unlock the NPC to allow edits by clicking on the lock icon).

Callum
December 27th, 2012, 14:41
If you're happy to directly edit the xml of the two modules, then you can cut-and-paste the NPCs from one to the other. You just need to be careful with the node numbering.

Skellan
December 27th, 2012, 18:04
I just /export the campaign that the info is in and then open it up in the library of your new campaign and drag across whatever i need :)

Trenloe
December 27th, 2012, 18:07
I just /export the campaign that the info is in and then open it up in the library of your new campaign and drag across whatever i need :)
That's another option - open your 2 (or more) modules in an FG campaign, drag all of the NPCs you want into the campaign NPC list, then export a new NPC module from the campaign.

Skellan
December 27th, 2012, 18:29
ah yes, that's a good idea

graphil
December 28th, 2012, 10:35
And from the xml copying side is it just the case of copying everything between the
<npc idcounter="24"> and the close tag or does any content need to be changed first? This will go into an empty campaign so don't have to worry about the counts.

Trenloe
December 28th, 2012, 16:39
And from the xml copying side is it just the case of copying everything between the
<npc idcounter="24"> and the close tag or does any content need to be changed first? This will go into an empty campaign so don't have to worry about the counts.
This sounds like you're looking in the db.xml file for a campaign not a module? Is that right? The responses you've had for this thread have been for copying NPCs from a module, not from a campaign.

But, the process is similar - although you will have to pay attention to the idcounter number, otherwise when you add new NPCs you may end up getting duplicate id numbers which will cause issues - make sure you modify the idcounter= entry to be 1 higher than the highest id-XXX NP number.

You really have 2 options to move NPCs from one campaign to another:

Export the NPCs into a module - type /export in the chat window and fill out the export window with basic details, check "Personalities" and right-click and select "Export". Then load up your new campaign, activate the module you created and drag-drop the NPCs from the module entry in the NPC list into the first tab - this will create copies of the NPCs in the campaign - you can close the module.
Copy/paste from one campaign db.xml to another - make sure neither campaign is running at the time and change the idcounter entry. Recommended - make a backup of your campaign directory before you do this - just in case something in the XML gets broken and you have to try again.

If you're comfortable with XML then option 2 may be quicker for you, but option 1 is recommended as this is all done without editing XML - and you'll have an NPC module you can use in other campaigns too.